PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Draftnick's Choice Awards - Worst Draft

Brothgar
05-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Category 3 of 5 or so. There really shouldn't be an award for worst draft but meh.

The Nominees are

Jacksonville Jaguars:

Draft picks: QB Blaine Gabbert (first round), G/OT Will Rackley (third round), WR Cecil Shorts (fourth round), S Chris Prosinski (fourth round), DB Rod Issac (fifth round).

New England Patriots:

Draft picks: OT Nate Solder (first round), CB Ras-I Dowling (second round), RB Shane Vereen (second round), RB Stevan Ridley (third round), QB Ryan Mallett (third round), OL Marcus Cannon (fifth round), TE Lee Smith (fifth round), LB Markell Carter (sixth round), DB Malcolm Williams (seventh round).

New York Jets:

Draft picks: DT Muhammad Wilkerson (first round), DT Kenrick Ellis (third round), RB Bilal Powell (fourth round), WR Jeremy Kerley (fifth round), QB Greg McElroy (seventh round), WR Scott McKnight (seventh round).

San Diego Chargers:

Draft picks: DT Corey Liuget (first round), CB Marcus Gilchrist (second round), LB Jonas Mouton (second round), WR Vincent Brown (third round), CB Shareece Wright (third round), RB Jordan Todman (sixth round), OL Steven Schilling (sixth round), LB Andrew Gachkar (seventh round).

Seattle Seahawks:

Draft picks: OT James Carpenter (first round), G John Moffitt (third round), LB K.J. Wright (fourth round), WR Kris Durham (fourth round), CB Richard Sherman (fifth round), FS Mark LeGree (fifth round), DB Byron Maxwell (sixth round), DL Lazarius Levingston (seventh round), LB Malcolm Smith (seventh round).

Philadelphia Eagles:

Draft picks: G Danny Watkins (first round), S Jaiquawn Jarrett (second round), CB Curtis Marsh (third round), LB Casey Matthews (fourth round), K Alex Henery (fourth round), RB Dion Lewis (fifth round), OL Julian Vandervelde (fifth round), C Jason Kelce (sixth round), LB Brian Rolle (sixth round), LB Greg Lloyd (seventh round), FB Stanley Havili (seventh round).

San Francisco 49ers:

Draft picks: DE Aldon Smith (first round), QB Colin Kaepernick (second round), CB Chris Culliver (third round), RB Kendall Hunter (fourth round), OL Daniel Kilgore (fifth round), WR Ronald Johnson (sixth round), S Colin Jones (sixth round), DL Bruce Miller (seventh round), OL Michael Person (seventh round), DB Curtis Holcomb (seventh round).

Dallas Cowboys:

Draft picks: OT Tyron Smith (first round), LB Bruce Carter (second round), RB DeMarco Murray (third round), OL David Arkin (fourth round), CB Josh Thomas (fifth round), WR Dwayne Harris (sixth round), FB Shaun Chapas (seventh round), C Bill Nagy (seventh round).

Minnesota Vikings:

Draft picks: QB Christian Ponder (first round), TE Kyle Rudolph (second round), DL Christian Ballard (fourth round), CB Brandon Burton (fifth round), OT Demarcus Love (sixth round), DB Mistral Raymond (sixth round), C Brandon Fusco (sixth round), LB Ross Homan (sixth round), DL D'Aundre Reed (seventh round), WR Stephen Burton (seventh round).

Caulibflower
05-28-2011, 12:52 AM
The only Seahawks player I'm even vaguely excited to see play is Kris Durham, and he was a reach. Pretty much every player we picked we could've had at least a round later. And to pick Carpenter with Carimi still on the board just killed me. Almost as much as the Saints taking Cameron Jordan the slot before us. This draft just didn't work out for the Seahawks, at least as far as my pre-draft wishes go. Hopefully a couple of these players turn out to be studs, but I'm feeling pessimistic.

SenorGato
05-28-2011, 04:09 AM
The Jaguars both confused and disappointed me. I really hope Gabbert works out for them so he can be their ticket out of that place.

That said, at least they tried. I don't get what the Chargers are doing. Are they going Tampa 2 or at least towards a 4 man front or something?

The only way the Vikings haul belongs in the worst group is if you hate the Ponder pick. There's some good players in there....

onejayhawk
05-28-2011, 09:40 AM
At least three of these teams had above average drafts. Dallas could not have a worst draft, just because they got their first pick right. As it happens they had one of the best days 3 in the NFL. The Patriots are in running for best in the NFL. The Chargers have a good day 1 and a very good day 3, with one bizarre pick in round 2.

Seattle, SF, pick an order, and no one else is close.

J

Prowler
05-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I hated the Patriots draft. I don't really like Solder, the two running backs, no pass rusher, and any of the other picks. I don't know how a team goes into a draft with 2 picks in each of first few rounds and doesn't end up with higher impact guys. Solder HAS to turn into a good pick or their draft was a complete waste.

*I do kinda like Ras, but that's it.

Brothgar
05-28-2011, 10:02 AM
At least three of these teams had above average drafts. Dallas could not have a worst draft, just because they got their first pick right. As it happens they had one of the best days 3 in the NFL. The Patriots are in running for best in the NFL. The Chargers have a good day 1 and a very good day 3, with one bizarre pick in round 2.

Seattle, SF, pick an order, and no one else is close.

J

Well its a bit hard giving 9 choices. and havig them all be unanimous terrible drafts. I gave options. Damn people are getting on my nuts about these lists.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
05-28-2011, 11:28 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bCh-gAJte7Y/TTgM0hKqpOI/AAAAAAAAbXg/Cp_RXP7ap74/s1600/Al%2BDavis%2BWiki%2B%2B5.jpg

fischbowl
05-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I love some of their mid round picks, namely K.J. Wright and Richard Sherman, but the Seattle Draft was just so abysmal

Lil Quip
05-28-2011, 05:44 PM
I definitely agree Seattle's draft was full of drafts, but everyone scoffed at Jacksonville picking Alaulu but after this year, it didn't seem this bad.

I had to go with Philly. As much as the talking heads like to disagree, picking a player that old in the first is a risk. If he was far and away better than similar prospects, I could understand lessing the age worry, but he isn't 4-5 years of experience better than other options.

being a NEP fan, our draft was exasperating, but not bad.

PossibleCabbage
05-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Other: Atlanta Falcons. Words cannot describe how much I hate that trade.

DBNYDP
05-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Meh I liked Seattle's draft. I think they reached on Carpenter but I also think he is going to be a great guard in the NFL. They really solidified that interior I think. I also love the pick of KJ Wright as a 4-3 LB and the pick of Richard Sherman at CB.

I voted for the Chargers because they had some really odd picks. Liuget wasn't a terrible choice but as far as a 3-4 DE went I had him more as a 2nd round pick. Mouton I thought should have went undrafted. He hasn't impressed me with his play nor with his measurables. I understand why they went after Gilchrist but that was a reach. Shareece was a solid pick. Brown is a technically gifted receiver but his ceiling is pretty low and it was a reach for that spot. Toddman was the only pick I really liked but with Matthews/Hester/Tolbert and Sproles (might be there) I felt he might not be utilized that much. And I really don't know enough about the last two guys they drafted so I'm kind of indifferent. Too many reaches and I don't think they've really gotten much better through the draft.

Roddoliver
05-30-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't think the Seahawks had the worst draft. Rob Rang said James Carpenter had emerged as a 1st round candidate. It happened. His stock was on the rise. I had him going #31 to Green Bay. Two-year starter at LT for Alabama. And unlike Andre Smith, who was a top 10 pick, Carpenter is in shape.

The Seahawks boosted that OL with Carpenter and Moffitt. They have issues there. They had to start Tyler Polumbus, and Ben Hamilton is not as reliable as he once was. Now, the OL will have Okung, Unger, Moffitt and Carpenter. That's very good for whoever becomes the franchise QB in the future.

To me, their most intriguing pick was Kris Durham in the 4th round, ahead of WRs like Edmond Gates, Greg Salas, Cecil Shorts... But Durham has size, hands and competed in the SEC.

Worst draft? I voted Atlanta because of the Julio Jones trade. I did not like the move, they already have a great #1 WR. Since we haven't seen any of these rookies play in the NFL, I'm looking more at value. Too many valuable picks were lost in the trade.

Abaddon
05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bCh-gAJte7Y/TTgM0hKqpOI/AAAAAAAAbXg/Cp_RXP7ap74/s1600/Al%2BDavis%2BWiki%2B%2B5.jpg

Hard to argue.

ArkyRamsFan
05-31-2011, 11:37 AM
For me it came down to San Diego and Seattle and it was thisclose between the two.
However, at the end of the day I went with San Diego as the worse overall.

My thinking is that if you don't have a clue who to draft or what direction to go then as a default position look to improve your offensive line. This Seattle did.

At the very least whoever becomes their QB of the future should have a decent and young OL to work with. What's not to like?

As far as San Diego is concerned, outside of Liuget, it just seemed every pick was taken a round or two earlier than they should. These guys may prove to be decent players in the future but the Chargers certainly didn't get much value where they selected them.

FlyingElvis
05-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Other: Atlanta Falcons. Words cannot describe how much I hate that trade.

I might have been tempted to vote ATL, too. That trade looks way too lopsided on paper, regardless of how much I love Julio.

My vote goes to San Diego, though. Their draft was a head-scratcher. I agree it seems like it's full of guys that are odd fits for the system or drafted higher than necessary.

I do, however, want to mention that I beleive Pete Carroll to be the worst personnel man in the NFL. Which means the Seahawks draft could easily prove to be another of his epic blunders.

I understand why the Pats would be listed, but think there should be at least a mention of the additional 1st and 2nd round picks acquired for the 2012 draft.

ellsy82
06-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Hard to argue.

As soon as they picked Van Dyke in the second round...I LOL'd.

OSUGiants17
06-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Carpenter + Moffitt + Okung will be better than you think. Give these guys a few years and the Seahawks could have a top 5 OLine

Brothgar
06-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Except they drafted him in the 3rd.

gpngc
06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Carpenter + Moffitt + Okung will be better than you think. Give these guys a few years and the Seahawks could have a top 5 OLine

Dude who cares about OL. It's ******* OL. The draft is only for sexy positions.

Monomach
06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Atlanta all the way. They spent two drafts and came out with a guy who plays a position that usually doesn't make an immediate impact. The rest of their draft was garbage. Atlanta is ready to make a run NOW.

...so two drafts to get a guy who will develop into their #2 receiver in a couple of years? F. F, F, F.

Halsey
06-08-2011, 01:34 PM
People keep saying the Falcons spent two Drafts on Jones. So then why did they get 5 other players in the 2011 Draft and still have multiple picks in next year's Draft?

Roddoliver
06-08-2011, 02:20 PM
They spent 5 picks on Julio Jones, including two 1st round picks. They paid a lot for a WR when they already have a #1 WR. And when they lost to Green Bay in the playoffs, their defense allowed 48 points. They could have used some help on defense. And I'm not talking about Akeem Dent.

prock
06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
People keep saying the Falcons spent two Drafts on Jones. So then why did they get 5 other players in the 2011 Draft and still have multiple picks in next year's Draft?

Maybe because they spent the top end of the next two drafts (5 picks total) on a #2 receiver. If obviously isn't meant to be taken literally, and your inability to grasp context is astounding.

Halsey
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Sorry, but WR is a major need when your #2 is Michael Jenkins. Not buying the "not a big need" argument. Scoring points and moving the ball is important. The Falcons only scored two meaningful TDs in the Green Bay loss. They couldn't sustain drives or score points. I don't see how anyone could watch that game and not see the Falcons needed another pass catching threat bad.

Duffman57
06-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Sorry, but WR is a major need when your #2 is Michael Jenkins. Not buying the "not a big need" argument. Scoring points and moving the ball is important. The Falcons only scored two meaningful TDs in the Green Bay loss. They couldn't sustain drives or score points. I don't see how anyone could watch that game and not see the Falcons needed another pass catching threat bad.

Yes, it is a big need, but when you make a move like that, you have to feel like your 1 guy away from a superbowl, and that isn't the case for you guys, you need a DE oppo Abraham badly, and you have some other issues on D that prevents you from being a championship calibre team.

ellsy82
06-08-2011, 04:34 PM

My bad...their second pick. 4.25 40 sounds right up Weird Al's alley.

gpngc
06-08-2011, 11:43 PM
The new thing for Atlanta bashers is to label Jones as a #2 WR like it's a bad thing to spend a pick on a "#2" WR. A "#2" WR plays way more snaps than the likely-bust DE or OLB they would have taken at #27.

Roddoliver
06-09-2011, 01:36 AM
The new thing for Atlanta bashers is to label Jones as a #2 WR like it's a bad thing to spend a pick on a "#2" WR. A "#2" WR plays way more snaps than the likely-bust DE or OLB they would have taken at #27.

"A pick"? No. But 5 picks, including two in the 1st round? Yea. It's at least very questionable.

AntoinCD
06-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I really dont understand the whole #2 WR arguement going on here. The best teams draft for both the short and long term. Julio Jones is joining an offense that already has a top 5 WR in the NFL so clearly he isn't going to be the main focus of the offense. However teams who draft a WR expecting him to all of a sudden become their main threat straightaway are generally left wanting.

Julio Jones will be given time to develop and hone his skills opposite of Roddy White with a young developing, potentially elite QB. Clearly this is almost a best case scenario for any young WR. The accepted thinking in WRs is they should be fully developed in their 3rd year. In Jones' third year Roddy White will be 32. Clearly he was drafted to be their future #1 WR.

ArkyRamsFan
06-09-2011, 07:23 PM

If it is just about points then why not stay at #27 and take the best TE in the draft, Kyle Rudolph? With the NFL going with more two TE sets he could have paired with Tony Gonzalez for a year or so until he became the #1 target when Gonzo retires, and Atlanta could have saved all of those picks.

Sorry, but at the end of the day I'm not convinced the Falcons' offense is that much better off with Jones over Rudolph.

prock
06-10-2011, 03:25 AM
If it is just about points then why not stay at #27 and take the best TE in the draft, Kyle Rudolph? With the NFL going with more two TE sets he could have paired with Tony Gonzalez for a year or so until he became the #1 target when Gonzo retires, and Atlanta could have saved all of those picks.

Sorry, but at the end of the day I'm not convinced the Falcons' offense is that much better off with Jones over Rudolph.

Jonathan Baldwin, Kyle Rudolph, or any other prospect available at #27 + 4 picks >>>>>>>>>>>>> Julio Jones. End of discussion.

FlyingElvis
06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
I really dont understand the whole #2 WR arguement going on here. The best teams draft for both the short and long term. Julio Jones is joining an offense that already has a top 5 WR in the NFL so clearly he isn't going to be the main focus of the offense. However teams who draft a WR expecting him to all of a sudden become their main threat straightaway are generally left wanting.

Julio Jones will be given time to develop and hone his skills opposite of Roddy White with a young developing, potentially elite QB. Clearly this is almost a best case scenario for any young WR. The accepted thinking in WRs is they should be fully developed in their 3rd year. In Jones' third year Roddy White will be 32. Clearly he was drafted to be their future #1 WR.

I agree but, obviously, they gave up a huge portion of that 'long term' drafting to get him. Open up the purse strings in FA over the next 2 years and add some talent on D and it'll all look brillian, assuming Julio becomes the stud expected of the 6th overall selection.

While I agree the Falcons could have used some more talent on D, whoever mentioned DE should look at Kroy Biermann's game tape.