PDA

View Full Version : I have to give a speech- any tips?

49ersfan_87
05-28-2011, 12:56 PM
My parents are throwing a 25 year anniversary party in a few weeks, and as the only child I am expected to make a speech. I was wondering if anyone here had any tips on how to go about this. IE How long should it be, any thing i should include/avoid, etc. Also thought i'd say that i hate public speaking, and i tend to talk faster than normal...

CashmoneyDrew
05-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Imagine yourself in nothing but underwear.

Hurricanes25
05-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Keep it somewhat short.

StickSkills
05-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Short, sweet... don't mention the person your one parents cheated with...

prock
05-28-2011, 02:27 PM
don't **** it up.

Cigaro
05-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Remember that you will decide how they view their 25th anniversary, and possibly their marriage as a whole.

CJSchneider
05-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Avoid the awkward joke about you being 26 years old.

Philliez01
05-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Always know what you are going to say. If you are nervous and stray away from the plan, well you are going to have to wait for the 50-year anniversary to redeem yourself.

Another thing our speech professor taught us was, if you are a fast speaker, to try to force yourself to slow down. If you speak fast and you feel like you are talking slower....it'll sound normal. Beware of sounding really slow though.

Nalej
05-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Remember that you will decide how they view their 25th anniversary, and possibly their marriage as a whole.

No pressure lol

My advice, minimize the um's, like's and uh's

The_Dude
05-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Avoid the awkward joke about you being 26 years old.

Actually, would think that this would be a standard joke for this type of situation.

phlysac
05-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Alot depends on your personality. If you're naturally captivating as the center of attention than it would be ok to wing it a bit and shoot from the hip. If you tend to be nervous in this type of situation, I'd say have a good outline foe what you like to talk about and actually practice it. It sounds funny but practicing you speech will help the tempo and dynamics a ton.

Best of luck. Have fun. Thats most important. Remember, this isn't about you, it's about you Mom and Dad, so just be "you" as much as possible.

Brothgar
05-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Have a beer or two. No more. Talk about things that are funny about your parents but not embarrassing. End it with how great of an accomplishment it is staying together for a quarter century ask if it makes them feel old yet. ??? Profit

TitansCJftw
05-29-2011, 11:03 PM
http://static2.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/6/7/9/large2/97665.jpg

soybean
05-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Here's a useful sequence

quote >> a story or anecdote that relates to the quote >> how or why it relates >> end repeating the quote.

PRACTICE.

CameronCropper
05-30-2011, 07:36 AM
If you start to feel nervous find someone in the crowd that makes you feel reassured and look at them, as if you're talking directly to them.

As long as you speak with passion, or love in this case, it doesn't matter what you say to be honest.

J-Mike88
06-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Just tell the story to your favorite cousin or cousins who are sitting out there.
Focus on them, ignore the rest of the people.
That will make you much more at-ease, and effective speaking.

Namy
06-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Some people don't like this, but I usually write out a manuscript. This allows me to make my speech as organized, refined, and concise as possible. It also ensures that you have NO "you know's," "um's," "like," etc.

Rehearse (out loud) with your manuscript in front of you at first. Then gradually rehearse without it and focus on eye contact, body gestures, and smiling. A note on eye contact. I noticed that J-Mike suggested focusing on your cousins. I respectfully disagree. I think one of the hallmarks of a good speech is being able to keep eye-contact with everyone.

Also, practice speaking at an even-tempo. Nothing ruins a good speech more than speaking way too fast.

Lastly, keep in mind that a nervous speech makes the people in the room feel just as uneasy as you. People want you to succeed and deliver a good speech. Hope this helps!

StickSkills
06-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Think of it more as telling a story to a friend instead of talking to an audience.

Philliez01
06-01-2011, 11:38 PM
Just tell the story to your favorite cousin or cousins who are sitting out there.
Focus on them, ignore the rest of the people.
That will make you much more at-ease, and effective speaking.

If I were a cousin hearing about my Aunt and Uncle's marriage while being stared at the whole time, I'd be freaked the **** out.

the_legend_killer
06-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Just get hammered and then ad lib.

J-Mike88
06-02-2011, 05:42 AM
If you start to feel nervous find someone in the crowd that makes you feel reassured and look at them, as if you're talking directly to them.
That's exactly what I meant when I said talk to your favorite cousin. All about fighting being nervous.

I'd just find the friends in the crowd and focus on a conversation with them. It got to the point I didn't even notice the other people and I just spoke like talking to my friends.

FlyingElvis
06-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Just get hammered and then ad lib.

Perfection!!

Seriously, though, it's easier that you think. The key to a speech about a loved one is simple: BE SINCERE.

Pick the quality(s) that you admire / respect / love most about each one and briefy talk about how / why / where that quality(s) has made a difference for (or instilled values in) those around them.

Being sincere provides you with a critical point that makes your speech a success even if you struggle a bit giving it. Because you're discussing traits / values about them that everyone likely knows to be true, your audience is immediately in agreement with what you say.

Shoot for 2-3 minutes. 5 is longer than you think, for everyone, and saying two sentences won't cut it.

Practice! As others mentioned, if you're not a super comfortable public speaker, practice it out loud a few times to get a feel for the timing & flow of your thoughts.

Finally, have a drink in hand (not water) so you can end it as a toast. Just make sure it's not full so you don't go sloshing liquid all over the audience. lol

Damix
06-02-2011, 10:12 AM
While pooping your pants sounds like a great idea, in my experience people tend to frown upon it.

StripedWalrus
06-02-2011, 10:57 AM
You should probably talk about the time you walked in and saw them wrestling in bed. Tell them how you stuck around just a little while longer because it seemed your mom was triumphant as she had your father pinned to the bed with her arms in the air, and letting out a victorious YES!

Bosanac01
06-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Talk about your favorite memory(ies) as a kid that they provided for you.

Nalej
06-03-2011, 07:24 PM
While pooping your pants sounds like a great idea, in my experience people tend to frown upon it.

Are you sure? I'm not sold.
If you do, guaranteed no one there will ever forget it.
Memorable is what you're going for so go for it!

regoob2
06-09-2011, 10:32 AM
I was terrified of public speaking. I had to give a speech at a work Christmas party. (I also got TANKED and made an ass out of myself the year before so I was even more nervous). I kept it short and sweat. I wasn't bad at all. I actually really enjoyed it after. Just practice it and don't be afraid to go with notecards.