PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tressel resigns

draftguru151
05-30-2011, 08:01 AM
ESPN reporting it.

CameronCropper
05-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Wow.

It was only a matter of time until it happened, but at the same time it's pretty hard to imagine Ohio State without Jim Tressel.

diabsoule
05-30-2011, 08:07 AM
He should have been fired when the news first broke about everything that has gone down under his watch.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Being from Westmoreland County (Greensburg, few miles from Jeannette, PA) I always knew that Terrelle Pryor would have historic impact on the Buckeyes.

oops

FUNBUNCHER
05-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Can someone make the case about why Tressel should have resigned/been fired??

As far as I know,(still assuming there must had even more against Tressel), his only 'crime' was not reporting that he had players buying tattoos with the illegal sale of OSU team merchandise.

IMO this is kind of a minor infraction, but others are acting like Tressel's infractions were on the level of paying recruits and paying his players once they arrived at Ohio State.

I'm still shocked Tressel was forced to resign.

This IMO isn't on the level of Pete Carroll KNOWING that an agent bought a house for Reggie Bush's parents.
Same type of infraction, technically, but it's sort of like equating shoplifting a candy bar to jacking someone's car. Both are theft, but not the same degree.

T-RICH49
05-30-2011, 09:23 AM
weather it be resignation or a firing the end result was gonna be Tressel out

SolidGold
05-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I wonder if Tressel will coach again?

phlysac
05-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Can someone make the case about why Tressel should have resigned/been fired??

Reports of countless players receiving illegal benefits for quite some time, while Tressel knew it was happening. (Ex: Its been happening for years and many players benefit each year, and Tressel knows)

I'm not judging. Just stating what is being said.

SolidGold
05-30-2011, 10:07 AM
The curse of Terelle Pryor...first it got RichRod and now it gets Tressell.

Nothing like ESPN starting up the Urban Meyer to OSU rumors.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Not too may Ray Small and Mark Titus fans in Columbus.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Basically, IMO, the NCAA is going to investigate VERY closely and Tressel has been at the forefront all along. Harken back to this nugget...

Clarett claims cash, cars among benefits

Ending six months of silence, former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett has told ESPN The Magazine in this week's edition that he "took the fall" for the school during a 2003 NCAA investigation and that he's talking now because he wants to "clear his name" with National Football League owners and general managers.

Clarett says that while he was at Ohio State in 2002 and 2003 head coach Jim Tressel, as well as certain members of his staff and boosters, provided him with improper benefits. He says he covered up Tressel's improprieties during the NCAA investigation and afterward, Ohio State "blackballed'' him from the football program.

According to Clarett, Tressel arranged loaner cars for him and Tressel's brother, Dick, found him lucrative landscaping jobs that he did not even have to show up for. He says members of Tressel's staff also introduced him to boosters who'd slip him thousands of dollars, and the better he played, the more cash he'd receive. He says boosters eventually began inviting him into their homes or would meet him out in the community.

"When you'd leave, [the booster] sets you straight," Clarett told The Magazine. "They say, 'You got any money in your pocket?' They make sure your money's straight."

Clarett also says he likely would have been ineligible for Ohio State's national title season of 2002 if the football staff had not "aligned'' him with an academic advisor whose goal was simply to keep him eligible. He says the academic advisor enrolled him in Independent Study courses and also put him with hand-picked teachers who would pass him whether he attended their classes or not. He says his advisor also introduced him to a tutor who prepared outlines and told him what to write for assignments.

Another former Ohio State player, linebacker Marco Cooper (2000-01; Spring 2002), corroborated many of Clarett's comments. Cooper, who was suspended from the team following two arrests for drug possession, says he also had bogus landscaping jobs, that a booster helped furnish his apartment, and that he was able to borrow cars from local Columbus dealerships in exchange for signed OSU memorabilia.

In a story separate from the Clarett issue, another former Ohio State player, current Maryland running back Sammy Maldonado, says he was placed in so many courses that did not put him on the road to graduation that only 17 of a possible 40 credits earned would transfer to his new school.

Ohio State officials have declined to comment on many of the allegations. School President Karen Holbrook, Jim Tressel and Dick Tressel refused to respond through spokespersons, while Athletic Director Andy Geiger said he would not answer questions until after the magazine story appeared, if then.

Maurice Clarett says he received improper benefits during his time at Ohio State.
"We went through a yearlong investigation of our academic programs, everything that [Clarett] has to allege,'' Geiger said. "He vowed to me that he would do something to try to get us and this may be what he's trying to do. So he's on his own.

"We dealt with this guy [Clarett] for 18 months. I just hope you've checked into the background and history of who you're dealing with.''

Clarett's former academic advisor and tutor also declined comment. The NCAA, which investigated Clarett for potential academic and financial irregularities in the summer of 2003, said it is against its policy to discuss the Clarett case.

Clarett, 21, who gained 1,237 yards and scored 18 touchdowns in 2002, his only collegiate season, says he was asked during the 2003 NCAA investigation whether he received a loaner car from Tressel, and, to protect the coach, he says, he answered no. He says when he was asked about other indiscretions, he answered, "I don't know" or "I don't remember," which was a violation of NCAA Rule 10.1, requiring forthright answers.

"What would have become of Ohio State if I said everything?'' Clarett told The Magazine. "Half the team would have been suspended, and it would have been worse for everybody. I was like, 'Why don't I just take it?'"

The school suspended him for the entire 2003 season, and when Clarett asked to be reinstated for 2004, he says the athletic department systematically "blackballed him" by taking away the teachers and tutors.

Clarett then tried applying for the 2004 NFL Draft, and was first ruled eligible and then ineligible, because he wasn't the requisite three years removed from high school. He says he was "depressed" by the court's ultimate decision to ban him, but is now working out in anticipation of the 2005 draft in April. He says he is hoping this winter to play in this winter's East-West Shrine game and the Senior Bowl, all-star invitationals that would be his first football games in two years.

Several pro executives say, as of now, the running back could go as low as the fourth or fifth round. Clarett contends he will change any negative perceptions at the NFL combine in February.

"I'm thinking, 'NFL GMs know college players take money,' " Clarett says. "It was nothing like I stole something. Nothing like I'm running from the law or I'm dragging a girl down the stairs. No domestic violence. No nothing. [But] I got to clear myself up now, because it's affecting the minds of the GMs."
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1919059

FUNBUNCHER
05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks, phylsac, your post puts everything in perspective now.

I didn't realize Tressel had a cloud of suspicion over his head for years now, it wasn't just this latest episode that forced him out of his job at Ohio State.

Like when Al Capone got busted for tax evasion, I suppose the NCAA suspected Tressel was running a dirty program for years, and Ohio State probably knew too.

Still think he was a good coach on Saturdays, but it takes more than that to keep a job at a school like OSU.

JoeJoeBrown
05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm glad JT resigned.

However, I think this sets back the regulation of CFB a whole bunch. Why?

Because OSU self reported all of this stuff. The Tat5 would have come out in an FBI investigation eventually. But the rest of it wouldn't have if OSU wanted to sit on it. Instead, they reported it.

There is going to be a whole bunch of stuff uncovered because of cooperation with regulators.

Now, if they had not revealed anything, like so many schools, there would have been suspensions of five players and that's it.

The lesson learned is do not cooperate with the NCAA. They have no legal powers to force an investigation.

What is the value of a system that lets the guilty and quiet get off more lightly than the guilty that cooperate and share their information?

And please do not take this as an OSU homer thing. I think JT needed to be gone (fired or resigned). He was dirty and got caught. His actions have given OSU a black eye and that is no one's faults but his and the rest of the OSU football community's.

I'm just saying that if you were running an NCAA AD, it would be smart to be as opaque as possible. Block as much info as possible. Odds are in your favor that your punishment will be far less severe due to lack of evidence.

benchod
05-30-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm glad JT resigned.

However, I think this sets back the regulation of CFB a whole bunch. Why?

Because OSU self reported all of this stuff. The Tat5 would have come out in an FBI investigation eventually. But the rest of it wouldn't have if OSU wanted to sit on it. Instead, they reported it.

There is going to be a whole bunch of stuff uncovered because of cooperation with regulators.

Now, if they had not revealed anything, like so many schools, there would have been suspensions of five players and that's it.

The lesson learned is do not cooperate with the NCAA. They have no legal powers to force an investigation.

What is the value of a system that lets the guilty and quiet get off more lightly than the guilty that cooperate and share their information?

And please do not take this as an OSU homer thing. I think JT needed to be gone (fired or resigned). He was dirty and got caught. His actions have given OSU a black eye and that is no one's faults but his and the rest of the OSU football community's.

I'm just saying that if you were running an NCAA AD, it would be smart to be as opaque as possible. Block as much info as possible. Odds are in your favor that your punishment will be far less severe due to lack of evidence.

The problem with that is that the NCAA can just use their blanket punishment policy of "lack of institutional control"

They used it against USC. There was nothing proven, other than a conversation that the RB coach had on the phone with the agent who allegedly bought the house. That was their major piece of evidence.

For OSU, they have an actual paper trail and yes, cooperation. But it also shows that they played an entire season with players who should have been ineligible.

The NCAA will come down on them as hard as they did USC, if not harder because of actual evidence. They seem to be on a tear to set examples. The only problem the NCAA will have is when the colleges start to fight back.

SolidGold
05-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Tressel got caught with his pants down...I wonder what this means for Pryor, Daniel Herron, DeVier Posey, Mike Adams and Solomon Thomas. How will OSU fans treat these players now, especially Pryor who has not lived up the hype and now played a huge part in Tressel resigning?

Also, it should be interesting to see how this effects their NFL Draft stock as well.

JoeJoeBrown
05-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Tressel got caught with his pants down...I wonder what this means for Pryor, Daniel Herron, DeVier Posey, Mike Adams and Solomon Thomas. How will OSU fans treat these players now, especially Pryor who has not lived up the hype and now played a huge part in Tressel resigning?

Also, it should be interesting to see how this effects their NFL Draft stock as well.

That is a really good point about the fans. The psychos are going to be even more neanderthal like than normal.

JoeJoeBrown
05-30-2011, 11:09 AM
The NCAA will come down on them as hard as they did USC, if not harder because of actual evidence. They seem to be on a tear to set examples. The only problem the NCAA will have is when the colleges start to fight back.

Yes, the coming down hard on OSU is going to tell people to not comply at all. None of the JT stuff would have come out had they sat on it.

Like I've said before, I think that there will be a movement in major CFB to ditch the NCAA. Following Olympic style rules of professionalism will eventually be the result, regardless of whether major CFB sticks with the NCAA or not.

bearsfan_51
05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Yes, the coming down hard on OSU is going to tell people to not comply at all. None of the JT stuff would have come out had they sat on it.

Like I've said before, I think that there will be a movement in major CFB to ditch the NCAA. Following Olympic style rules of professionalism will eventually be the result, regardless of whether major CFB sticks with the NCAA or not.
CFB alone can't ditch the NCAA. It would have to come from College Presidents agreeing to abandon the entire organization as a regulator for college athletics. That's simply not going to happen; contrary to what you might think, administrative elites are quite happy with the NCAA.

I think it's far more likely that they come to some common agreement for increased stipends for revenue generating sports teams.

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
this is ********, way to go Gene Smith and Gordon Gee by doing this now so that instead of hiring a new coach we have to wait until December so that our recruiting class will be **** and a bunch of our current players will leave since they have no ******* idea who they will be playing for beyond the 2011 season. way to go AD, if Gene Smith is still running the department in January 2012 then it is complete ********.

Tressel was a class man and coach and taught his players how to be men not just football players. find one person who ever knew tressel say one bad thing about the man ever, it just isn't out there. can't say the same about nick saban, les miles, urban meyer, or countless other coaches out there. Tressel tried to protect his players and made a mistake, so let's have the NCAA have a full on investigation and what'd ya know, the boosters are giving kids money and people are getting deals on cars and tattoos which is something that doesn't go on at any other university except Ohio State. Auburn is clean, Alabama and LSU are clean. The NCAA is a joke and the only reason they forced out Tressel today is because a big big booster cut the school off this week, so the board of trustees took action. The scumbags in all of this weren't the men coaching football.

/rant.

carry on.

JoeJoeBrown
05-30-2011, 12:27 PM
CFB alone can't ditch the NCAA. It would have to come from College Presidents agreeing to abandon the entire organization as a regulator for college athletics. That's simply not going to happen; contrary to what you might think, administrative elites are quite happy with the NCAA.

I think it's far more likely that they come to some common agreement for increased stipends for revenue generating sports teams.

They might not be happy with it if it interferes with their bottom line. And it is right now.

Like I said, there will be a push towards formal professionalism, and I think it's Olympic style. We'll see how it stands in 10 years.

OSUGiants17
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Sad day to be a Buckeye fan :(

King Carls 5 Year Plan
05-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Tressel was a good coach. he'll be out of football only as long as he wants to be. if he uses this as a learning experience, he'll be even better for it. its unfortunate that boosters and other problems within the program cost him his job. it was bound to happen, eventually. you can't know about these issues and just ignore them and expect to keep moving along. the NCAA is view it as lying to them because he signed the paper before last season stating that he knew of no ineligible players when in fact he knew that Pryor and Co were in fact ineligible.

like i said, he's a good coach and he'll land on his feet.

who are the main targets for OSU, in this early stage? (knowing they aren't hiring until after the season)

SolidGold
05-30-2011, 01:42 PM
ESPN is pushing the Urban Meyer to OSU story really hard

bearsfan_51
05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
They might not be happy with it if it interferes with their bottom line. And it is right now.
No it's not. The NCAA is a shield for athletic departments to loophole all kinds of labor regulations and avoid governmental scrutiny.

If they wanted to make a move towards professionalization they would have to do it with all sports (hello Title XIV). You could count the schools capable of doing that on your feet.

The NCAA being deligitimized is about as likely as a return to the gold standard, the moon landing being fake, and 9-11 as an inside job. It's just another conspiracy theory that people like to bander about.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-30-2011, 02:23 PM
The scumbags in all of this weren't the men coaching football.

/rant.

carry on.

Sure Tressel resigning was the right thing to do, but how the **** was Tressel nto a scumbag in this. He let corruption run rampant in his program

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Tressel was a good coach. he'll be out of football only as long as he wants to be. if he uses this as a learning experience, he'll be even better for it. its unfortunate that boosters and other problems within the program cost him his job. it was bound to happen, eventually. you can't know about these issues and just ignore them and expect to keep moving along. the NCAA is view it as lying to them because he signed the paper before last season stating that he knew of no ineligible players when in fact he knew that Pryor and Co were in fact ineligible.

like i said, he's a good coach and he'll land on his feet.

who are the main targets for OSU, in this early stage? (knowing they aren't hiring until after the season)

Luke Fickell (the interim head coach)
Bo Pelini
Urban Meyer
Mark Dantonio
Jon Gruden

will be the ones people draw lines to b/c of OSU connections and whatnot. I don't think D'antonio will be hired though, but he'll generate talk since he is a successful head coach at a big program and is a Buckeye. Tony Dungy even has generated some talk. I just hope it's not Gene Smith making the hire, things haven't gotten better since he's been here.

Matthew Jones
05-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Great article dealing all of the occurrences:

http://genuinelysarcastic.blogspot.com/2011/05/dotting-lie.html

phlysac
05-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Tressel was a good coach. he'll be out of football only as long as he wants to be. if he uses this as a learning experience, he'll be even better for it. its unfortunate that boosters and other problems within the program cost him his job.

Learn from it? Alot of the same type of stuff was reportedly occuring at Youngstown State when Tressel coached there.

descendency
05-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Tressel's next job will be as an AD somewhere (most thought he was going to be the AD at tOSU after the current one retired). He won't be coaching again.

I respect Tressel quite a bit even though I hate Ohio State. I really feel this is the NCAA going after big programs to try and scare everyone else away from it, but everyone knows the NCAA can't keep up with them and they won't fine them more than they can make from cheating. (In other words, if I cheat I can win more games and therefore collect more donations and win more awards, whereas they might be meaningless after the fact, but everyone already will have their rings, memories, and money from it. The NCAA just scratches their name out on a piece of paper)

phlysac
05-30-2011, 04:05 PM

If all of that is legitimate.... WOW!

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
legitimate? only about 5% of that stuff on that timeline has to do with Tressel, the rest is players getting arrested every once in a while which happens everywhere. the only stuff that has to do with Tressel is the YSU stuff (which wasn't really a big deal for the school, it might get blown out of proportion though now that the scandal at OSU has taken place) - and then the tattoo scandal.

BTW this big SI article that comes out tonight/tomorrow that supposedly says all this bombshell info that would get Tressel fired basically states that 9 players sold memorabilia for tattoos and 4 sold it for drugs (weed?). who was expecting worse?

phlysac
05-30-2011, 06:00 PM
legitimate? only about 5% of that stuff on that timeline has to do with Tressel, the rest is players getting arrested every once in a while which happens everywhere. the only stuff that has to do with Tressel is the YSU stuff (which wasn't really a big deal for the school, it might get blown out of proportion though now that the scandal at OSU has taken place) - and then the tattoo scandal.

BTW this big SI article that comes out tonight/tomorrow that supposedly says all this bombshell info that would get Tressel fired basically states that 9 players sold memorabilia for tattoos and 4 sold it for drugs (weed?). who was expecting worse?

So player after player after player after player being arrested for and/ or accused of either illegal acts or receiving illegal benefits shouldn't reflect on their coach? That rumors of benefits and booster "mentors" running awash all on Tressel watch with his knowledge and you don't see ANY connection?

I might make a trip down to Jeannette tonight aand see if I can get some mentoring from Ted Sarniak.

I'm not hating on Tressel. I think stuff like this goes on at schools all over the country. However, to just dismiss all of this stuff as meaningless seems too homeristic.

bullg8rdaddy
05-30-2011, 06:04 PM
point shaving.......

Silver & Blue
05-30-2011, 06:23 PM
point shaving.......

I heard some rumors about that before, so if thats true, goodbye OSU.

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 07:11 PM
So player after player after player after player being arrested for and/ or accused of either illegal acts or receiving illegal benefits shouldn't reflect on their coach? That rumors of benefits and booster "mentors" running awash all on Tressel watch with his knowledge and you don't see ANY connection?

I might make a trip down to Jeannette tonight aand see if I can get some mentoring from Ted Sarniak.

I'm not hating on Tressel. I think stuff like this goes on at schools all over the country. However, to just dismiss all of this stuff as meaningless seems too homeristic.

player after player? there wasn't a terribly overabundant amount of arrests at OSU. Like any big program some players get in trouble every year or two. The troublesome players paled in comparison to the fact that the GPA and APR at the OSU football program was amongst the best in the country under Tressel. His resignation had nothing to do with some of his players getting in trouble in the past.

Silver & Blue
05-30-2011, 07:15 PM
LMAO, Never underestimate the stupidity of Terrelle Pryor.

"@ LanternSports: Pryor arrived in WHAC in Nissan 350z with temp tags from May 24. He waved to the cameras."

http://twitter.com/#!/LanternSports

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
lol, nothing surprises me about pryor anymore.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-30-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't get how tOSU fans give credit to Tressel for "shaping young men" and all that ********, but not put any of the blame on him for all the cheating these "great young men" do. Such a ridiculous double standard.

SickwithIt1010
05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
If Urban Meyer goes to OSU I wouldnt be able to respect him...resigning 2 years in a row for personal reasons and then coming back.

Im curious to see if they go hard after someone right now or if they wait till the season is over.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 07:31 PM
player after player? there wasn't a terribly overabundant amount of arrests at OSU. Like any big program some players get in trouble every year or two. The troublesome players paled in comparison to the fact that the GPA and APR at the OSU football program was amongst the best in the country under Tressel. His resignation had nothing to do with some of his players getting in trouble in the past.

But it's not just the arrests. Its the arrests, plus the benefits, plus the 400-ish self-reported recruiting violations, plus the lying to the NCAA, plus the cover-up of ineligibility, etc, etc.

The players getting in trouble in the past is absolutely a reflection on the coach and the program. Were they the fault of Tressel, or his direct responsibility? Absolutely not, but it outlines a culture within the program.

I'm a Pitt-guy, I saw Wannstedt (a coach who was considered of highest moral character and a good example for his athletes) fired in part because of an influx off off-the-field issues with his players. Was it Stache's fault? No, but you have to start at the top.

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
mmm....the other stuff is trifles. the dishonesty to cover up players breaking eligiblity rules was what was the big deal. like one guy said today, Tressel tried too hard to treat his players like his kids and in the end it cost him his job.

J-Mike88
05-30-2011, 08:03 PM
this is ********, way to go Gene Smith and Gordon Gee by
Gordon Gee is a co******r... I hate that guy.
That bast*** BCS-pimp.

As for Tressel covering up over and over for his punk players: that's a sign of the times.
It's happening more and more, all over.

bullg8rdaddy
05-30-2011, 08:07 PM
If Urban Meyer goes to OSU I wouldnt be able to respect him...resigning 2 years in a row for personal reasons and then coming back.

Im curious to see if they go hard after someone right now or if they wait till the season is over.

Bro, I pretty sure they said that they are sticking with Fickell this year and won't begin coaching search till after this season. But I would bet that they are already or have already contacted their top targets, Meyer has to be one of them.

I lost respect for Meyer when he quit the first time. Grateful for the titles, but he butt f***ed our recruiting class with his hores**t and loyalty to Adazzio.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-30-2011, 08:08 PM
mmm....the other stuff is trifles. the dishonesty to cover up players breaking eligiblity rules was what was the big deal. like one guy said today, Tressel tried too hard to treat his players like his kids and in the end it cost him his job.

Seems more like that Tressel was doing whatever it took to win and this case it meant cheating. Stop sugarcoating it. It is ridiculous

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Luke Fickell is coach for this season. If he does well he'll probably keep the job (already being compared to Pat Fitzgerald, a young former player who also had to take over as HC on spot duty after Northwestern's coach got sick and died). Otherwise they'll do an extensive coaching search starting in December and they'll probably contact Meyer for sure if that's the case.

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Seems more like that Tressel was doing whatever it took to win and this case it meant cheating. Stop sugarcoating it. It is ridiculous

well if you knew how the guy interacted with his players and their families you probably would give him the benefit of the doubt too. either way he was in the wrong.

SickwithIt1010
05-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Bro, I pretty sure they said that they are sticking with Fickell this year and won't begin coaching search till after this season. But I would bet that they are already or have already contacted their top targets, Meyer has to be one of them.

I lost respect for Meyer when he quit the first time. Grateful for the titles, but he butt f***ed our recruiting class with his hores**t and loyalty to Adazzio.

Yeah i didnt hear any of that. I just heard he resigned.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 08:25 PM

I truly respect your support of Tressel but even the best parent in the World will lose that distinction if it is found that they hid their children's transgressions from the authorities as a mean to protect them.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 08:27 PM
well if you knew how the guy interacted with his players and their families you probably would give him the benefit of the doubt too. either way he was in the wrong.

I get that. This is one of the reasons why I won't bash Tressel. However, it's also telling how he interacts his his players "mentors" as well.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-30-2011, 08:29 PM

A little naive to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. If you knew how he interacted with the kids you would think there would be no chance in ******* hell that he was one of the biggest scumbag coaches in CFB(at least who have been caught)

bullg8rdaddy
05-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah i didnt hear any of that. I just heard he resigned.

All good, bruh.

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 09:03 PM
A little naive to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. If you knew how he interacted with the kids you would think there would be no chance in ******* hell that he was one of the biggest scumbag coaches in CFB(at least who have been caught)

i still don't see how this all makes him one of the "biggest scumbag coaches in CFB." What he did was wrong, but there are a lot worse things out there than keeping the things he did confidential. If you heard of any of the reports given by recruits' parents about how he recruits or any players' testimony about what kind of person he is behind the scenes and what kind of methods he uses compared to a lot of other coaches (especially in recruiting) then scumbag would be the farthest adjective from your mind.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 09:12 PM
i still don't see how this all makes him one of the "biggest scumbag coaches in CFB." What he did was wrong, but there are a lot worse things out there than keeping the things he did confidential. If you heard of any of the reports given by recruits' parents about how he recruits or any players' testimony about what kind of person he is behind the scenes and what kind of methods he uses compared to a lot of other coaches (especially in recruiting) then scumbag would be the farthest adjective from your mind.

I don't disagree but you have to be open-minded to the other side of the coin as well.

"keeping things confidential"-- He didn't keep things confidential. He told Chris Cicero it would be confidential while forwarding behind Cicero's back to Ted Sarniak and denied their existence to the NCAA as well as the University.

"How he recruits"-- 400 or so self-reported recruiting violations during his tenure. Imagine how many weren't reported.

"What kind of person he is"-- He is the kind that will allow a person in the midst of a highly desparaging sexual assault controversy still sign with his program.

"What kind of methods he uses"-- Like allowing Maurice Clarrett on his sideline when he was on an Official visit to the University of Michigan.

Again, I think Tressel did alot of great things and think he's far from "the worst scumbag in CFB" but to glaze over the negative aspects while only recognizing the positive can be detrimental.

phlysac
05-30-2011, 09:31 PM
The SI article has been released...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html?sct=hp_t11_a1&eref=sihp

SolidGold
05-30-2011, 09:33 PM
It will be interesting to see how this resonates through the rest of the NCAA. Will other schools decide to start investigate themselves or just hope they do not get caught? Will ex-players from other schools come to the press and tell their story? I think most of us know that this type of stuff goes on at most schools. Will this happening at Ohio St start a domino affect on other big name programs?

I do think Tressel turned a blind eye to this, his main goal was to win games, keep the boosters, fan base and school happy. Any player who actually participated in the whole tattoo scandal knew what they were doing was wrong. I hope all those players fall hard for this too.

The mentality of today's entitled athlete combined with these moronic boosters and host of other characters who want some sort of brush with fame are as much to blame. Boosters throw money at these kids and the universities do not care as long as they are winning and do not get caught.

JoeJoeBrown
05-30-2011, 09:34 PM

You certainly are a spiteful bag of herpes pus. The question is why?

JoeJoeBrown
05-30-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't disagree but you have to be open-minded to the other side of the coin as well.

"keeping things confidential"-- He didn't keep things confidential. He told Chris Cicero it would be confidential while forwarding behind Cicero's back to Ted Sarniak and denied their existence to the NCAA as well as the University.

"How he recruits"-- 400 or so self-reported recruiting violations during his tenure. Imagine how many weren't reported.

"What kind of person he is"-- He is the kind that will allow a person in the midst of a highly desparaging sexual assault controversy still sign with his program.

"What kind of methods he uses"-- Like allowing Maurice Clarrett on his sideline when he was on an Official visit to the University of Michigan.

Again, I think Tressel did alot of great things and think he's far from "the worst scumbag in CFB" but to glaze over the negative aspects while only recognizing the positive can be detrimental.

Yeah, he's definitely a politician. I think that he does a lot of good and means well, but only so far as it doesn't impact winning. We've got to remember that CFB is the almost the dirtiest sport on the planet.

I would like the media to start vilifying an SEC school now, please. First Pac10, now Big10.

SolidGold
05-30-2011, 09:42 PM
I wish they would keep investigating the Cam Newton pay for play. The NCAA did a real bang up job sweeping that under the rug.

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 09:45 PM

i think we've had the violation discussion before in another thread. most of those violations that schools report are along the lines of sending recruits letters on too nice of a type of paper or coaches emailing kids on a day set aside for no emails or some other trifle bs like that. some schools don't even bother to turn those things in

clarett was on his official visit to Michigan, you think it shows poorly on tressel that the kid wanted to stay on ohio state's sidelines? i dont' see how that is an issue here. i don't think any of those issues are an indictment on tressel. the only issue here is the email/tattoo/memorabilia scandal.

and the "sexual assault controversy" thing was cleared up. the kid wasn't allowed to sign with the buckeyes initially b/c of allegations, but he has since been cleared and has penned his LOI.

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 09:52 PM
also interesting that the SI article names Storm Klein in their report. A shame that the kid doesn't have any tattoos. They say John Simon hasn't gotten any tattoos since signing with Ohio State either. Lousy journalism at its best. In the good old days they had to have proof and legit sources.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-30-2011, 10:13 PM
also interesting that the SI article names Storm Klein in their report. A shame that the kid doesn't have any tattoos. They say John Simon hasn't gotten any tattoos since signing with Ohio State either. Lousy journalism at its best. In the good old days they had to have proof and legit sources.

You have any legit sources for that?

CrankthatCrabtree
05-30-2011, 10:35 PM
You certainly are a spiteful bag of herpes pus. The question is why?

Well, wouldn't say I am a "spiteful bag of herpes, but the reason I hate tOSU and Tressel so much is because for the past x amount of years tOSU fans have been sticking their nose up at every team saying how they are different than everyone. How they are clean and run their program the way it should be run. How they help turn boys into men and all this other bull ****. And now that it has been proven that tOSU is just as bad if not worse than any other program in the country it shows how ******* wrong those fans were. And now the fans who are even still defending Tressel are even more pathetic.

JoeJoeBrown
05-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Well, wouldn't say I am a "spiteful bag of herpes, but the reason I hate tOSU and Tressel so much is because for the past x amount of years tOSU fans have been sticking their nose up at every team saying how they are different than everyone. How they are clean and run their program the way it should be run. How they help turn boys into men and all this other bull ****. And now that it has been proven that tOSU is just as bad if not worse than any other program in the country it shows how ******* wrong those fans were. And now the fans who are even still defending Tressel are even more pathetic.

Maybe the herpes pus was a bit over the top, apologies.

Still, you rant about OSU at every possible opportunity. It's a bit ridiculous. I don't even know Michigan fans that are that obsessed.

keylime_5
05-30-2011, 10:49 PM
You have any legit sources for that?

haha, it's been going around on the message boards how storm feels about being named when he has no tattoos. probably more reliable "sources" than what SI used in their article.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-30-2011, 10:50 PM
haha, it's been going around on the message boards how storm feels about being named when he has no tattoos. probably more reliable "sources" than what SI used in their article.

...attacking a credible news source due to lack of sources with a complete lack of sources? C'mon now.

CrankthatCrabtree
05-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Maybe the herpes pus was a bit over the top, apologies.

Still, you rant about OSU at every possible opportunity. It's a bit ridiculous. I don't even know Michigan fans that are that obsessed.

As the fan of an SEC team I have to put up with enough ****. It is tOSUs turn.

Complex
05-30-2011, 11:22 PM
I thought this was funny

One of Tressel's duties then was to organize and run the Buckeyes' summer camp. Most of the young players who attended it would never play college football, but a few were top prospects whom Ohio State was recruiting. At the end of camp, attendees bought tickets to a raffle with prizes such as cleats and a jersey. According to his fellow assistant, Tressel rigged the raffle so that the elite prospects won -- a potential violation of NCAA rules. Says the former colleague, who asked not to be identified because he still has ties to the Ohio State community, "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."

Remember guys he did it all for the kids, he only cares about the kids.

Complex
05-30-2011, 11:23 PM

LOL

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss217/colin91a/Random%20photos/Not-sure-if-serious.jpg

EricCartmann
05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
... This IMO isn't on the level of Pete Carroll KNOWING that an agent bought a house for Reggie Bush's parents....

Pete Carrol said he did not know that Bush's house was paid by an agent. The blind-mute-deaf guy that lived next to Carrol knew, but he Carrol himself did not. He said so.

bullg8rdaddy
05-31-2011, 12:18 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Big%20Ten/tressel_is_a_god.gif

elway=goat
05-31-2011, 01:10 AM
The question now is, how big of a punishment does OSU get? This seems to be pretty huge. It seems to have been going on for years atleast since 01. They have to get a stiffer punishment than USC imo.

M.O.T.H.
05-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Meh. Cheating is cheating. There's the door.

MI_Buckeye
05-31-2011, 01:55 AM
Not to be a homer about this or anything, but I think it is an utter shame that a man who has done so much for the university is being forced out over something as petty as this. The tattoo investigation may just be the tip of the iceberg, but as far as I am concerned there hasnt been much of any substance actually verified. Several accusations about the car dealership have proven to be flimsy, such as Thaddeus Gibson and Ray Small allegedly getting free cars which they are still paying for.

I think the answer to combat issues like this from coming up in the future is more reasonable and equitable regulation. College athletes are restricted in ways nobody else I can think of in their inability to profit of off their labor and celebrity and in what they are permitted to do with their own property. It is not only exploitative and unfair but almost completely unenforcible.

When violators of these silly rules are uncovered, as they were with the tattoo 5 and A.J. Green last season, it is almost entirely by chance. Trust me, I have been around loads of Division I athletes. I can just about guarantee you that there is no program in the country where kids arent selling their gidgets. Specifically with Division I football, kids playing in bowl game are given garbage bags full of IPods, Blackbeerys, Wii games, gift cards, etc. by corporate sponsors but are told they are not allowed to sell this swag in order to make rent or car payments. It makes no sense.

The NCAA has a vested interest in maintaing a system of indentured servitude where the actual athletes are not allowed to share in the pie they helped bake. I would hope incidents like this, the UNC scandals, the Reggie Bush thing, as well as the transgressions of A.J. Green and Dez Bryant, all victimless actions that are only wrong by the standards of the NCAA would call attention to just how ludicrous and immoral these rules are.

Unfortunately, the media and the fans always seem to be narrowly focused on whichever case is immediately at hand. We need to have broad discussions about broad reform NOW!

SickwithIt1010
05-31-2011, 04:14 AM
I wish they would keep investigating the Cam Newton pay for play. The NCAA did a real bang up job sweeping that under the rug.

Auburn is in the SEC, enough said. SEC teams arent allowed to get into trouble.

diabsoule
05-31-2011, 05:14 AM
Auburn is in the SEC, enough said. SEC teams arent allowed to get into trouble.

They are but it usually equates to a slap on the wrist (losing 1-2 scholarships). I really wish something would have happened to Auburn. That whole Cam Newton just stunk as soon as word leaked out concerning the details surrounding him, Cecil Newton, and the Moo State/Auburn fiasco.

Complex
05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
George Dohrmann said on the Dan Patrick show that there might be more things to come out of Ohio State but has to talk to Lawyers. Dan Patrick later on said that one of his sources said he will surprised if Pryor survives the season.

SolidGold
05-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Pryor must be the most hated person in Ohio.

JoeJoeBrown
05-31-2011, 09:56 AM
This is the car Pryor just showed up to a meeting in. He is as dumb as a rock.

350z (http://forums.theozone.net/messages/990616.html)

BTW, that SI article was hardly revelatory or crushing. Lots of old stuff being re-spun.

I do love the media hate parade. A team with a giant fan base and a giant hate base is great for ratings/sales, so I understand jumping on. However, I'd love to punch a few of these smug cockwads in the mouth. The ones that seem genuinely happy. They are scum of the earth.

EricCartmann
05-31-2011, 11:35 AM

How is this different than any other program? The way I see it, tOSU were just sloppy, and they did not watch The Godfather to understand the concept of "Buffers".

Trogdor
05-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Ready to see if the NCAA pummels OSU as hard (should be harder) as what they did to USC. Good riddance to Tressel he's reaping the benefits of the program atmosphere he created.

JoeJoeBrown
05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Ready to see if the NCAA pummels OSU as hard (should be harder) as what they did to USC. Good riddance to Tressel he's reaping the benefits of the program atmosphere he created.

Seriously doubt if it's harder.

1) All of that stuff doesn't even add up to a smidgen of what just one USC player received.
2) OSU self reported, USC did not. This is the biggest part to it. If they hit OSU as hard as USC, every school in their right mind is going to cover up and deny every single thing possible. There would be no incentive to self report.

I'm guessing 2010 vacated, 2011 post season ban and 15 schollies over 3 years pulled.

JoeJoeBrown
05-31-2011, 01:12 PM
How is this different than any other program? The way I see it, tOSU were just sloppy, and they did not watch The Godfather to understand the concept of "Buffers".

Totally agree, amateur hour wrt the cheating.

I heard it was actually just Tressel's dad that ignored the wrongdoings. JT had no idea.

EricCartmann
05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
I always thought that Tressel was one of those "Untouchables" where the Press would never say anything bad about the guy. Look at what they have been saying about him through the years, "He is a Christian, he turns boys into Men" etc, etc, etc.

I wonder what changed where now the Press is going after him? Is it because the evidence is so damming that they have no choice? If this is the case, I feel bad for Tressl, his wall of protection has now turned into a Tsunami wave and is crashing on him (Actually, I don't really feel bad at all hahahaha).

Lets be honest, Tressel is no more a bad guy than anyone else. The Press, the NCAA, the BCS Bowl Committees, the coaches, the Athletic Directors, the University Presidents are all basically the same people, or in bed with each other.

If you have a System where a lot of "old white guys" are getting rich off of "young black kids", you better believe these old white guys will do everything in their power to keep the cash flow coming in, even if it means sacrificing one of their own.

I find it funny that Tressel gets $3.5 Million a year and is considered an honest man, while Cam's father is considered a shady character even though he only received $100,000. We go to the games to see Cam, not Tressel, so why is it that we put Tressel on a pedestal while condemning Cam's dad?

JoeJoeBrown
05-31-2011, 02:06 PM
I always thought that Tressel was one of those "Untouchables" where the Press would never say anything bad about the guy. Look at what they have been saying about him through the years, "He is a Christian, he turns boys into Men" etc, etc, etc.

I wonder what changed where now the Press is going after him? Is it because the evidence is so damming that they have no choice? If this is the case, I feel bad for Tressl, his wall of protection has now turned into a Tsunami wave and is crashing on him (Actually, I don't really feel bad at all hahahaha).

Lets be honest, Tressel is no more a bad guy than anyone else. The Press, the NCAA, the BCS Bowl Committees, the coaches, the Athletic Directors, the University Presidents are all basically the same people, or in bed with each other.

If you have a System where a lot of "old white guys" are getting rich off of "young black kids", you better believe these old white guys will do everything in their power to keep the cash flow coming in, even if it means sacrificing one of their own.

I find it funny that Tressel gets $3.5 Million a year and is considered an honest man, while Cam's father is considered a shady character even though he only received $100,000. We go to the games to see Cam, not Tressel, so why is it that we put Tressel on a pedestal while condemning Cam's dad?

The press pretty much have been hounding OSU the whole time JT was there. The MoC stuff was insane (and there was nothing).

Again, supposedly SI called up about every player they could in JT's past and all that they could dig up was this raffle thing. Hilarity.

WRT the inequity in the sport, I totally agree. The coaches and schools reap the benefits (sometimes very huge benefits) of kids playing a game. The kids get a pittance and that is that.

That's why I think we'll see the amateurism rules change sometime in the next decade. CFB is a billions of dollars a year business and the kids get a tiny fraction of that.

WRT Cam Newton's dad, he is a douchebag. Pimping out your son for hundreds of thousands of dollars in undeclared income is not only douchey, it's a federal crime. I still have no idea how the NCAA has not investigated Auburn any further. Insane.

The only thing that I can see is that someone had some dirt on the former LSU guy who is now head of the NCAA.

EricCartmann
05-31-2011, 03:22 PM
The press pretty much have been hounding OSU the whole time JT was there. The MoC stuff was insane (and there was nothing).

Again, supposedly SI called up about every player they could in JT's past and all that they could dig up was this raffle thing. Hilarity.

WRT the inequity in the sport, I totally agree. The coaches and schools reap the benefits (sometimes very huge benefits) of kids playing a game. The kids get a pittance and that is that.

That's why I think we'll see the amateurism rules change sometime in the next decade. CFB is a billions of dollars a year business and the kids get a tiny fraction of that.

WRT Cam Newton's dad, he is a douchebag. Pimping out your son for hundreds of thousands of dollars in undeclared income is not only douchey, it's a federal crime. I still have no idea how the NCAA has not investigated Auburn any further. Insane.

The only thing that I can see is that someone had some dirt on the former LSU guy who is now head of the NCAA.

I hear you, rules are rules, and Cam's Dad broke the rules while Chizick "follows" them. One guy makes $3 million "legit and pays his taxes", while the other guy has to do it under the table for 1/30th of the amount.

JoeJoeBrown
05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
I hear you, rules are rules, and Cam's Dad broke the rules while Chizick "follows" them. One guy makes $3 million "legit and pays his taxes", while the other guy has to do it under the table for 1/30th of the amount.

They are indeed stupid rules.

BTW, I like Jason Whitlock's take on the whole scenario. I know you will too, Senor Cartman.

Flawed System (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Former-Ohio-State-coach-Jim-Tressel-is-product-of-flawed-system-053111)

SolidGold
05-31-2011, 04:04 PM
The NCAA, colleges and university presidents and athletic directors, boosters, coaches and players are all to blame. Its a vicious cycle and no one is innocent in this particular case or any case at all.

SativaDominant
05-31-2011, 04:11 PM
The problem with that is that the NCAA can just use their blanket punishment policy of "lack of institutional control"

They used it against USC. There was nothing proven, other than a conversation that the RB coach had on the phone with the agent who allegedly bought the house. That was their major piece of evidence.

For OSU, they have an actual paper trail and yes, cooperation. But it also shows that they played an entire season with players who should have been ineligible.

Except for that little tidbit in the NCAA's investigation about both Pete Carroll and the associate AD at USC setting up a sports marketing internship with the group that Reggie Bush had signed with.

Direct quotes from the NCAA report:

There was information in the record that the former head football coach encouraged sports marketer A to hire student-athletes as interns. A current NFLPA certified agent ("sports agent B") is the chairman of a sports agency and a colleague of sports marketer A. He reported that the former head football coach asked sports marketer A to consider hiring football student-athletes as interns in his agency. Sports agent B reported:

(Sports marketer A) was like, „yeah, here's (the former head
football coach) and the year before, he, he's tryin' to get me to hire,
you know, three players, you know.‟

…How many players, I don't even know, maybe he tried to get him
to hire ten….but it was totally agreed upon between (the former
head football coach) and (sports marketer A) that there was an
internship program for that summer. That's all I do know.

At the hearing, the former head coach denied that he asked sports marketer A to hire football student-athletes as interns, although he acknowledged that he knew sports marketer A and that he (sports marketer A) had "something about his past the years before that had gone wrong . . . (and) it was related to the NFL.”
[Note: At the hearing the institution's general counsel reported that, in 1995,
sports marketer A had "pleaded guilty to mail fraud for defrauding the NFL."]

In the spring of 2005, sports marketer B contacted the associate director of
athletics to determine if student-athletes would be interested in an internship with his (sports marketer B's) agency. [Note: sports marketer B and the associate director of athletics had been at another NCAA member institution at the same time and were acquainted with each other both there and subsequently in Los Angeles] The associate director of athletics confirmed that sports marketer B contacted him about employing student-athletes in paid internships at the agency.

Ultimately, three student-athletes, including student-athlete 1, worked as interns at the agency in the summer of 2005.

The former director of compliance confirmed the associate director of athletics' account of how the internships came about and added:

. . . it was initially set up while I was there, and the talk was it was
gonna be a continuing thing . . . to offer the opportunity to USC
student-athletes.

Sports marketers A and B had previously been in partnership with another
individual in a different agency. This individual stated that while the three were in partnership, there had never been any interns in their company.

It is permissible to hire student-athletes, as long as the circumstances under which they are hired, work and are paid comport with NCAA legislation. In this
instance, the circumstances under which the three student-athletes, including student-athlete 1, were hired constituted a special arrangement made through the sports marketing agency and the institution's athletics department. Despite sports marketer B's claim to the contrary, there is no evidence that the internship positions provided to the USC student-athletes in the summer of 2005 were solicited externally. USC student-athletes and only USC student-athletes were hired for these positions. The circumstances surrounding the hiring of these student-athletes made sports marketers A and B, as well as their agency, representatives of the institution's athletics interests. This, in turn, gave rise to a heightened institutional responsibility to assess and monitor the employment situation and the relationship between student-athlete 1 and sports marketers A
and B.

Both Pete Carroll and the USC administration knew who these guys were. And, really, the whole USC thing would have just gone away if Reggie Bush had just paid Lloyd Lake and Michael Michaels. Allowing it to turn into a lawsuit (and then attempting to fight that suit instead of settling immediately) was absolutely idiotic. To scoff that nobody knew, or that the only evidence was a phone call is downright false.

EricCartmann
05-31-2011, 04:42 PM
They are indeed stupid rules.

BTW, I like Jason Whitlock's take on the whole scenario. I know you will too, Senor Cartman.

Flawed System (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Former-Ohio-State-coach-Jim-Tressel-is-product-of-flawed-system-053111)

Awesome link! Thanks! That was a good read. Finally a guy that is straight forward and calls it like it is. Admitting he too is one of the "Rich White Guys" exploiting the "young black kids" for a buck. Yes I know Whitlock is black, here "rich white guys" and "young black kids" are generic terms used to describe a certain group of people.

I was booted from another forum for telling it like it is, that CFB is one big charade. Yes the games and athletes are great, but underneath it all is a one big sham.

It sucks to find out that Santa Claus is not real.

LonghornsLegend
05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
This is the car Pryor just showed up to a meeting in. He is as dumb as a rock.

350z (http://forums.theozone.net/messages/990616.html)

BTW, that SI article was hardly revelatory or crushing. Lots of old stuff being re-spun.

I do love the media hate parade. A team with a giant fan base and a giant hate base is great for ratings/sales, so I understand jumping on. However, I'd love to punch a few of these smug cockwads in the mouth. The ones that seem genuinely happy. They are scum of the earth.

LOL. What a surprise that he's an idiot, who could have saw that coming? Can't blame him though, evidently it's gone on since Clarett has been there, and while someone like Ray Small may just be sour I think Clarett is dead on about a bunch of the things he said. I don't think OSU is the only big program who treats athletes like this either obviously.

It's just spiraling outta control at this point, and Pryor looks like he's made his way into the supplemental draft if he's smart. If he goes a year without football he'll be as fat as Jaime Dukes by the time he'd be eligible for the draft.

JoeJoeBrown
05-31-2011, 05:57 PM
LOL. What a surprise that he's an idiot, who could have saw that coming? Can't blame him though, evidently it's gone on since Clarett has been there, and while someone like Ray Small may just be sour I think Clarett is dead on about a bunch of the things he said. I don't think OSU is the only big program who treats athletes like this either obviously.

It's just spiraling outta control at this point, and Pryor looks like he's made his way into the supplemental draft if he's smart. If he goes a year without football he'll be as fat as Jaime Dukes by the time he'd be eligible for the draft.

Yeah, the car thing wrt CFB players is going on almost everywhere. Anecdotally, I see UT players driving some ridiculous rides around Austin.

I doubt if Pryor would let himself get fat. The guy is juiced up beyond belief. His head is exploding more than Tebow's was. His problem is that he is as dumb as a rock. I doubt any team would draft him as a QB.

SolidGold
05-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah, the car thing wrt CFB players is going on almost everywhere. Anecdotally, I see UT players driving some ridiculous rides around Austin.

I doubt if Pryor would let himself get fat. The guy is juiced up beyond belief. His head is exploding more than Tebow's was. His problem is that he is as dumb as a rock. I doubt any team would draft him as a QB.

Fitting end for one of the most overhyped prospects ever. Became a victim of the system he embraced.

I wonder if teams would even consider drafting him at all or if he has become to toxic a player. Are there any OSU Students/fans on the forum that can give me an idea of how Pryor is being viewed in Columbus?

phlysac
05-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Keeps getting better and better for Pryor.

Now, NBC4 has learned that Pryor's driver's license was suspended less than two weeks ago, and he is still driving.

According to a report released by the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Pryor is driving on a suspended license.

Video taken by NBC4 Monday night shows Pryor driving as he left the Ohio State University's Woody Hayes Athletic Center.

NBC4 crews also saw him driving Tuesday.

Documents from the BMV indicated Pryor's license was suspended for no proof of insurance and is in effect through mid-August.

NBC4 was unable to determine through Franklin County Municipal Court if Pryor has been granted any driving privileges and the Ohio BMV said it has no indication that he has driving privileges.

He was stopped earlier this year for running a stop sign, last year for traveling 94 mph in a 65 mph zone and two years ago, for traveling 99 mph in a 65 mph zone.
http://www2.nbc4i.com/sports/2011/may/31/13/pryors-cars-now-focal-point-ncaa-probe-ar-513024/

descendency
05-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Maybe someone can get Pryor a Bentley so he can show up in style to his NCAA investigations.

phlysac
05-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Maybe someone can get Pryor a Bentley so he can show up in style to his NCAA investigations.

Supposedly he WAS driving a Bentley when he was in South Beach hanging out with LeBron and DWade.

LonghornsLegend
05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
QB is completely out of the question for Pryor, at this rate he's gonna make it hard to be drafted all together. He comes with a sense of entitlement and arrogance, and he's trouble for whoever does draft him. I don't think it'll necessarily be him getting arrested trouble, but constant negative press around him and the team.

He's never been a good QB prospect to begin with, and to project him to play WR is a whole nother ball game when your talking about the baggage he's leaving OSU with, the negative attention, and possibly a year away from football depending on how things turn out.

mellojello
05-31-2011, 09:48 PM
This IMO isn't on the level of Pete Carroll KNOWING that an agent bought a house for Reggie Bush's parents.
Same type of infraction, technically, but it's sort of like equating shoplifting a candy bar to jacking someone's car. Both are theft, but not the same degree.

For starters, bush's parents were accused of living in a house rent free, nobody ever purchased a house for them. The NCAA was never close to linking Carroll to knowing anything. If you ever read that NCAA report, the evidence was pretty flimsy against SC. They associated the university's "knowledge" of the infractions on the RB coach, which was based on a single two minute cell phone record showing the "agent" and McNair spoke. McNair claims to have never spoken with the agent and who knows what took place on that phone call...I could literally call someone and blabber about selling something or requesting donations for my alma mater for two minutes. If you've never read the NCAA report, it was pretty bad and the punishment hardly fits the crime. Mostly though, a theme that the NCAA repeated throughout the report was that with great power, USC had greater responsibility than it demonstrated - literally, whoever wrote these lines in the report must have watched Spiderman the night before. With a handful of self-reported and minor violations, along with the "great power, great responsibility theme," and a lot of speculative evidence, they hit SC with the "lack of institutional control." That's the truth and I'm a Cal fan.

As for Ohio State, this is more than one guy (Bush in the case of USC) receiving improper benefits - from the sounds of it, everyone knew. When violations are as blatant as is being reported, this sounds a lot more of what I would consider "lack of institutional control." I think that Ohio St.'s punishment should be more severe than SC's if even half of being reported is true, but if the punishment is not, I wouldn't be surprised either - nothing surprises me much anymore.

Complex
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
They are now focusing on Pryors many cars. I know he has 350z, a dodge charger and what else?

keylime_5
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
here is an article that interview former Youngstown QB Ray Isaac which backs up the widespread theory that the SI article is very ******:

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/05/31/college-football-jim-tressel-ray-isaac-ohio-state/

EricCartmann
05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
They are now focusing on Pryors many cars. I know he has 350z, a dodge charger and what else?

Because it takes the heat off of Tressel, and Gene Smith.

Silver & Blue
05-31-2011, 11:38 PM

It looks like he has Nissian 350z, Dodge Charger and Challenger, GMC Denali, and at one time he used a Corvette at least according to this article(which shows him next to 3 of the 5 cars). It also says he was ticketed in an unspecified model also. So it could be 6 cars.

http://mgoblog.com/content/driving-cars-pryor

keylime_5
06-01-2011, 12:00 AM
this is probably the best article about tressel's resignation that will be written:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/05/the-man-who-wasnt-there

CrankthatCrabtree
06-01-2011, 12:28 AM
this is probably the best article about tressel's resignation that will be written:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/05/the-man-who-wasnt-there

No it's not. It is hilariously biased.

keylime_5
06-01-2011, 12:32 AM
well it's a response to all the negative criticism of Tressel in the media, and you won't find a better one than that.

SolidGold
06-01-2011, 07:33 AM
Because it takes the heat off of Tressel, and Gene Smith.

Pryor deserves just as much heat as Tressel and Gene Smith.

JoeJoeBrown
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
For starters, bush's parents were accused of living in a house rent free, nobody ever purchased a house for them. The NCAA was never close to linking Carroll to knowing anything. If you ever read that NCAA report, the evidence was pretty flimsy against SC. They associated the university's "knowledge" of the infractions on the RB coach, which was based on a single two minute cell phone record showing the "agent" and McNair spoke. McNair claims to have never spoken with the agent and who knows what took place on that phone call...I could literally call someone and blabber about selling something or requesting donations for my alma mater for two minutes. If you've never read the NCAA report, it was pretty bad and the punishment hardly fits the crime. Mostly though, a theme that the NCAA repeated throughout the report was that with great power, USC had greater responsibility than it demonstrated - literally, whoever wrote these lines in the report must have watched Spiderman the night before. With a handful of self-reported and minor violations, along with the "great power, great responsibility theme," and a lot of speculative evidence, they hit SC with the "lack of institutional control." That's the truth and I'm a Cal fan.

As for Ohio State, this is more than one guy (Bush in the case of USC) receiving improper benefits - from the sounds of it, everyone knew. When violations are as blatant as is being reported, this sounds a lot more of what I would consider "lack of institutional control." I think that Ohio St.'s punishment should be more severe than SC's if even half of being reported is true, but if the punishment is not, I wouldn't be surprised either - nothing surprises me much anymore.

You are ignoring apartments out of their price range for other players and the whole OJ Mayo ordeal. It was an overall lack of institutional control for the AD. Both football and basketball were punished.

If USC had reported them instead of circling their wagons, they would not be in this much trouble. It does appear that not giving info is beneficial (i.e. Auburn) but if you get caught, your punishment will be worse.

OSU is going to be a litmus test for how schools will act when people come sniffing around. If they get less punishment than USC, then schools may be willing to be open. If not, no one in their right mind should open their doors to the NCAA.

JoeJoeBrown
06-01-2011, 08:58 AM
It looks like he has Nissian 350z, Dodge Charger and Challenger, GMC Denali, and at one time he used a Corvette at least according to this article(which shows him next to 3 of the 5 cars). It also says he was ticketed in an unspecified model also. So it could be 6 cars.

http://mgoblog.com/content/driving-cars-pryor

I "believe" that it's 7 cars that's he's temporarily driven.

He is unbelievably entitled.

JoeJoeBrown
06-01-2011, 09:01 AM

You are a psycho. For all of his flaws, Tressel has done a tremendous amount of good work in his life.

Reveling in his demise is pathetic.

SolidGold
06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
The players that got Tressell into trouble in the first place were adults and knew what they were doing was wrong. Its looks like schools will have to start babysitting these 18-23 year old men.

I don't believe Tressel was an all around bad guy, he did do alot of good. I hope some of the posters bashing Tressel also bash the players involved.

JoeJoeBrown
06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
The players that got Tressell into trouble in the first place were adults and knew what they were doing was wrong. Its looks like schools will have to start babysitting these 18-23 year old men.

I don't believe Tressel was an all around bad guy, he did do alot of good. I hope some of the posters bashing Tressel also bash the players involved.

You know what's sad? The team employed babysitters for classes. No kidding. OSU had a team of retired coaches and whatnot that would drop in on classes that players were taking to make sure they were in attendance. And to check on their grades. That's why OSU's APR is so high compared to other big football programs.

I'm not saying the kids were rocket scientists, but it's not hard to do well in, say, a communications or sociology class if you attend every day and have someone watching over you.

I'm sure there were people checking on their after hours behavior as well. And still this crap goes down. This is why I can't defend JT as he had to have known the tats and the cars stuff was going on. The man was a CEO control freak.

Anyways, he's rich, he won multiple NCs at two different levels of the sport, and he's still relatively young. I can't feel that bad for him.

Sloopy
06-01-2011, 09:43 AM

Yes, because you are clearly a bastion of unbiased commentary on the matter

SolidGold
06-01-2011, 10:54 AM
You know what's sad? The team employed babysitters for classes. No kidding. OSU had a team of retired coaches and whatnot that would drop in on classes that players were taking to make sure they were in attendance. And to check on their grades. That's why OSU's APR is so high compared to other big football programs.

I'm not saying the kids were rocket scientists, but it's not hard to do well in, say, a communications or sociology class if you attend every day and have someone watching over you.

I'm sure there were people checking on their after hours behavior as well. And still this crap goes down. This is why I can't defend JT as he had to have known the tats and the cars stuff was going on. The man was a CEO control freak.

Anyways, he's rich, he won multiple NCs at two different levels of the sport, and he's still relatively young. I can't feel that bad for him.

Making sure players actually attend classes and what they do in their free time are two different things. I do think Tressel had to take the fall for the cover up which he new about. I blame players just as much though. Pryor is the perfect example of this whole entitlement generation of college athletes. They have no common sense, no appreciation for the fact they are getting a really good education and think they are some sort of demigods.

Iamcanadian
06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Basically, he was sacrificed by the school to keep a lid on the whole mess.
Schools know what goes on in their programs and they pay for most of their athletes under the table. I say you can count on maybe 2 hands the # of Div 1 schools that don't cheat, Duke anyone and I'm not sure that is true in their basketball program.
College football is a multi million dollar business where technically, the athletes don't get paid to play, but with millions of dollars at stake, you would have to be a fool to think they don't find a way around this rule and pay their athletes under the table.
This goes back a long way and I still remember in the 60's I think, when an enveloped addressed to a Kentucky basketball freshman recruit broke open in the mail with 20 thousand dollars in it, of course there were no incriminating evidence that it came from the University but it clearly showed that it costs money to get a recruit to your school. I'm sure it is even worse today with so much money at stake.
The college system is corrupt from head to foot but nobody wants to kill the golden goose who lays the eggs so for the most part, everybody just looks the other way.

EricCartmann
06-01-2011, 02:29 PM

In your world that seems to be the case.

mellojello
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
You are ignoring apartments out of their price range for other players and the whole OJ Mayo ordeal. It was an overall lack of institutional control for the AD. Both football and basketball were punished.

If USC had reported them instead of circling their wagons, they would not be in this much trouble. It does appear that not giving info is beneficial (i.e. Auburn) but if you get caught, your punishment will be worse.

OSU is going to be a litmus test for how schools will act when people come sniffing around. If they get less punishment than USC, then schools may be willing to be open. If not, no one in their right mind should open their doors to the NCAA.Agreed, I oversimplified my post, but the essence is the same. Leinart's father paid the majority of rent for his son and Dwayne Jarrett, sort of Leinart's father's bad, but this was not a known common thing at SC. The Mayo thing looked pretty bad. Mike Garrett was a total jackass though and his arrogance hurt the image of SC, probably pushed the NCAA towards a more severe punishment. Doubt hiring Kiffin helped any. Also, keep in mind that much of the reported violations in the NCAA report were self reported by USC, they fought to the end about the Reggie Bush allegations, and most of the stuff that was swirling around in the media was not in the NCAA report.

Once a scandal breaks like this - as Ohio St. fans probably now know - a lot of BS and sensationalism becomes published. I'm sure Jim Tressel and Ohio State are not as evil as he is portrayed - I always take media reports with a grain of salt. Everyone is flawed, there's some good and some bad, but the bad stuff is what everyone wants to know about.

SolidGold
06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
In your world that seems to be the case.

Why wouldn't Pryor deserve his fair share of the blame?

JoeJoeBrown
06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Agreed, I oversimplified my post, but the essence is the same. Leinart's father paid the majority of rent for his son and Dwayne Jarrett, sort of Leinart's father's bad, but this was not a known common thing at SC. The Mayo thing looked pretty bad. Mike Garrett was a total jackass though and his arrogance hurt the image of SC, probably pushed the NCAA towards a more severe punishment. Doubt hiring Kiffin helped any. Also, keep in mind that much of the reported violations in the NCAA report were self reported by USC, they fought to the end about the Reggie Bush allegations, and most of the stuff that was swirling around in the media was not in the NCAA report.

Once a scandal breaks like this - as Ohio St. fans probably now know - a lot of BS and sensationalism becomes published. I'm sure Jim Tressel and Ohio State are not as evil as he is portrayed - I always take media reports with a grain of salt. Everyone is flawed, there's some good and some bad, but the bad stuff is what everyone wants to know about.

Good stuff.

CrankthatCrabtree
06-01-2011, 02:55 PM
You are a psycho. For all of his flaws, Tressel has done a tremendous amount of good work in his life.

Reveling in his demise is pathetic.

Did you even read the article? Are you trying to tell me it isn't ridiculously biased?

CrankthatCrabtree
06-01-2011, 02:56 PM

As are you "sweater_vest_mafia". On another note it really does seem like OSU lost institutional control in this case. If even half the **** that is coming out is true then I don't see how you can spin it either way(unless you believe it has to be in multiple sports)

Complex
06-01-2011, 04:43 PM

No, he does not this have been going on for at least 10 years. I know most Ohio State fans are pretty much blame Pryor for this because they think Tressel is the 2nd coming of Mother Teresa who only cared for the 'kids".

Complex
06-01-2011, 04:44 PM

and your clearly not with your Ohio State sig.

SolidGold
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
No, he does not this have been going on for at least 10 years. I know most Ohio State fans are pretty much blame Pryor for this because they think Tressel is the 2nd coming of Mother Teresa who only cared for the 'kids".

I agree Tressel was in the wrong but do you or do you not agree that Pryor is wrong too? Im just trying to hammer home the fact the players have to take some of the blame. Pryor was the biggest recruit Tressel pulled and is now the target of his own investigations. Pryor along with all the other players knew what they were doing.

JoeJoeBrown
06-01-2011, 05:22 PM

What has been going on for at least ten years?

Show me your football program and I will show you a program that cheats.

There is no way around it in major college football.

I think OSU fans that thought he was clean are naive as hell and/or a worship complex.

But I think that OSU haters that think that don't think he is a good man are complete idiots.

I'm an OSU fan that wanted to see him leave the program, as he got caught covering up his knowledge of misdoings.

What he has done to help a lot of other people is an indication of his character. What he has done to lie to protect his job is also an indication of his character.

Guess what? He lied to protect his job. Guess what? Everyone lies. He's human. BFD. His lies cost him his job. He paid the price.

Not once did you see Tressel publicly gloat or shame or defame another person.

He certainly isn't Mother Teresa, but he certainly isn't a POS like so many coaches out there (say Petrino, Nutt, Kiffen, etc..).

The character assassination by the media is disgusting. I hated ESPN before, now I hate ESPN and SI a whole bunch.

JoeJoeBrown
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I agree Tressel was in the wrong but do you or do you not agree that Pryor is wrong too? Im just trying to hammer home the fact the players have to take some of the blame. Pryor was the biggest recruit Tressel pulled and is now the target of his own investigations. Pryor along with all the other players knew what they were doing.

He's just trolling.

BTW, I don't think TP plays another down as a Buckeye. The car thing is going to blow up on him. Fickell better give him the boot.

CrankthatCrabtree
06-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Tressel was definately willfully blind over the past x amount of years or so. I don't think even the biggest OSU homer could deny that. You don't get players rolling into practice with new cars and not take notice. Who do OSU fans want as a replacement for him? Who is the frontrunner(after this year is over). Although I guess it is tough to have an idea of who you can hire the punishment are laid down.

J-Mike88
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
It looks like he has Nissan 350z, Dodge Charger and Challenger, GMC Denali, and at one time he used a Corvette at least according to this article(which shows him next to 3 of the 5 cars). It also says he was ticketed in an unspecified model also. So it could be 6 cars.
Even funnier than that is the funny little fact that he was driving illegally because his license was suspended.

Again, normal laws don't apply to guys like Pryor though.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- The NCAA is interested in Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor's cars. The state of Ohio says he shouldn't be driving one.

Pryor was seen driving a sports car to a team meeting on Monday hours after coach Jim Tressel's forced resignation, even though his Ohio driving privileges have been suspended.

Pryor's driving privileges have been suspended for 90 days

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/06/01/ohio-state-pryor-cars.ap/index.html#ixzz1O4H1iuPx

EricCartmann
06-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Why wouldn't Pryor deserve his fair share of the blame?

He is not in charge.

Also, he is doing what any American would do, take a job making a lot of money (or cars) for doing less (or nothing).

The blind-deaf-mute guy knew Pryor was getting paid. Actually, many players before and after Pryor have gotten paid and flaunt their cars just as much as Pryor.

Tressel/Smith are either liars or very-stupid. Your choice, it's one or the other.

Tressel/Smith chose to ignore Pryor paid-outs, and I can't blame them. Other coaches also chose to ignore their players payouts and they did not get in trouble. However this time is different, and some heads has to roll, and as always you should blame the guys at the top of the chain and not the guys at the bottom.... however it's human nature to make the lowest guy on the totem poll the goat.

Also, College Football makes millions, and Tressel himself makes millions. How can a guy that make millions in the same system be considered "a good christian man" but yet another guy in the same system, who only gets free tattoos and a car be considered a bigger criminal?

keylime_5
06-01-2011, 06:37 PM
i think if Fickell does a good job this season they give him the job for sure. Young guy who they were grooming to be the head coach in a few years when Tressel was gonna retire who is a great recruiter and very enthusiastic. It might be hard considering he will probably have a true freshman starting QB this year, but the defense will be so good that he might win enough games to keep the job. I would be surprised if Fickell doesn't end up keeping the job.

descendency
06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
i think if Fickell does a good job this season they give him the job for sure. Young guy who they were grooming to be the head coach in a few years when Tressel was gonna retire who is a great recruiter and very enthusiastic. It might be hard considering he will probably have a true freshman starting QB this year, but the defense will be so good that he might win enough games to keep the job. I would be surprised if Fickell doesn't end up keeping the job.

Don't forget USC got 10 scholarships per year removed. That could happen to tOSU.

They might get 0 scholarships (like SMU), though I'd put the odds on that at 1/100,000.

SolidGold
06-01-2011, 07:40 PM
He is not in charge.

Also, he is doing what any American would do, take a job making a lot of money (or cars) for doing less (or nothing).

The blind-deaf-mute guy knew Pryor was getting paid. Actually, many players before and after Pryor have gotten paid and flaunt their cars just as much as Pryor.

Tressel/Smith are either liars or very-stupid. Your choice, it's one or the other.

Tressel/Smith chose to ignore Pryor paid-outs, and I can't blame them. Other coaches also chose to ignore their players payouts and they did not get in trouble. However this time is different, and some heads has to roll, and as always you should blame the guys at the top of the chain and not the guys at the bottom.... however it's human nature to make the lowest guy on the totem poll the goat.

Also, College Football makes millions, and Tressel himself makes millions. How can a guy that make millions in the same system be considered "a good christian man" but yet another guy in the same system, who only gets free tattoos and a car be considered a bigger criminal?

Pryor broke the rules too is all I'm saying, it doesn't matter if he is in charge or not. He was one of the biggest names in college football. You can do things the right way or the wrong way, he chose the wrong way. He is guilty as well. Tressel got what he deserved so I hope Pryor does too. Its a pretty clear distinction. Do you think these players just take all the cars, money, drugs etc and believe they are doing the right thing? that they are following the rules? People like you who argue for the players are enablers. These players think they are untouchable so its time some of them got sent packing too. You have to be ignorant to think otherwise.

phlysac
06-01-2011, 08:00 PM
People like you who argue for the players are enablers.

I agree with most of what you wrote until there. Terrelle Pryor could care less about a guy on an internet forum. We're at the very bottom of the "enabler" chain-of-command so to speak. People that know violations are being made yet go out of their way to protect said player (Tressel as an example) are enablers.

I agree that the players think they are untouchable. They should be punished. But to claim Pryor is the problem would be an oversight. Unless you're fine with saying, the problem is Ray Isaac. The problem is Maurice Clarett. The problem is Terrelle Pryor. There's a constant involved.

SolidGold
06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree with most of what you wrote until there. Terrelle Pryor could care less about a guy on an internet forum. We're at the very bottom of the "enabler" chain-of-command so to speak. People that know violations are being made yet go out of their way to protect said player (Tressel as an example) are enablers.

I agree that the players think they are untouchable. They should be punished. But to claim Pryor is the problem would be an oversight. Unless you're fine with saying, the problem is Ray Isaac. The problem is Maurice Clarett. The problem is Terrelle Pryor. There's a constant involved.

Enabler might not have been the right word. The whole college system is corrupt from the NCAA to the College and University presidents to the coaches to the boosters and the players. Each group is guilty to some extent. I guess Pryor is the straw that broke the camels back. In any case each individual are responsible for their decisions.

Complex
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

Yes, it is partially Pryor fault but most of the blame goes to "Father" Tressel. Maurice Clarrett said he was getting some sort of benefits from Ohio State boosters.

EricCartmann
06-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Pryor broke the rules too is all I'm saying, it doesn't matter if he is in charge or not. He was one of the biggest names in college football. You can do things the right way or the wrong way, he chose the wrong way. He is guilty as well. Tressel got what he deserved so I hope Pryor does too. Its a pretty clear distinction. Do you think these players just take all the cars, money, drugs etc and believe they are doing the right thing? that they are following the rules? People like you who argue for the players are enablers. These players think they are untouchable so its time some of them got sent packing too. You have to be ignorant to think otherwise.

Pryor chose the only way. If someone offered you a car and extra money to do your job, but told you they had to do it under the table, because it was not a tax deductible item, would you do it? I would in a hearbeat! and I think most will follow suite.

College Football is not the Pure Santa Claus institution that we think it is. If you do just a little diggin, you will find it to be a dirty business, and it really has no choice but to be. If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin. It's Tressel's job to win, and in order to win he needs good players, and to get good players you have to do some under the table wheelin and deelin. The incentive and rewards that comes with cheating are so huge, that you have no choice but to take your chances.

Think about it, OSU as a program makes probably over $100 Million a year. They must do whatever it takes to keep this machine going. The coach get's about $3.5 million, and the players get ZERO. Since college football is a "not for profit" institution, the rest of the "expenses" must go to necessity such as hot tubs filled with KFC gravy.

You could say Pryor is getting paid, he's getting an education that is worth about $30,000 a year. You multiply 30,000 by 100 players and you are looking at $3,000,000 a year. $3,000,000 investment get get $100,000,000!!! Who would not make that investment of $3 million investment knowing you will get a return of $100 million? Besides, we know it does not cost the University $30,000 per student, that is just the fee they charge us poor schmucks who can't run a 4.2 Forty.

I don't blame colleges for making a buck, however I think they should stop with the charades that the only reason they have football is to give the poor inner-city kid a chance at an education and they are there for them.

Don't think I am for Colleges paying players either, but I do believe players should have certain rights that we all have:
1) a player should get whatever money the sponsors and boosters are willing to pay him.
2) he should be able to change college whenever he wants (like all the other students)
3) Be able to seek employment while in college (like Brooke Shields did). which includes sponsorships to make him millions.
4) Be able to seek counsel (aka have an agent)

Lastly lets not make out the coaches and AD's to be Angels looking out for these poor kids. The truth is far from that, for the most part, they are using these kids to make a bigger buck.

It's even hard for me to accept sometimes that these are not the noble student athletes that I grew up believing they were, and how the Universities are Noble institutions that created football to give these poor inner city kids a chance at a college education... It sucks finding out that Santa Clause is not real.

keylime_5
06-02-2011, 10:37 PM
ahahaha:

"I have raised my son right," Jason Klein stressed Thursday evening. "Storm has no tattoos on his body whatsoever. He doesn't have a drug problem, and multiple tests prove that. I have every single bit of his Ohio State memorabilia in my possession."

"I will be meeting with attorneys shortly to pursue action against the NCAA and Sports Illustrated," he continued. "That's all I have to say at this time."

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/1076671.html

keylime_5
06-02-2011, 11:20 PM
i know they've made a million of these, but as far as hitler getting pissed videos go this one ain't bad :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HWubSaqB9U

JoeJoeBrown
06-03-2011, 12:33 AM
From a post on theozone (http://forums.theozone.net/messages/994372.html) (OSU board).

Dohrmann's sources in summary:

1) A former YSU president who denies giving a quote
2) Ray Issac, who denies doing an interview
3) A former OSU assistant who may just have an axe to grind after his "retirement" in 2004
4) Two convicts, one anonymous

And, after Storm Klein has been shown to have no tattoos and in possession of all of his gear, we are left to believe that Rife paid cash for a 3rd string Freshman's autograph?

Me thinks SI and Dohrmann jumped the shark!

Weak SAUCE.

I hope the Klein's sue the ever loving hell out of Dohrmann and SI.

Shane P. Hallam
06-03-2011, 06:24 AM
From a post on theozone (http://forums.theozone.net/messages/994372.html) (OSU board).

Weak SAUCE.

I hope the Klein's sue the ever loving hell out of Dohrmann and SI.

No way the Klein's would win in that lawsuit.

JoeJoeBrown
06-03-2011, 08:16 AM
No way the Klein's would win in that lawsuit.

What is it, as IANAL?

Libel has to be false, malicious, and defamatory, right? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation)

How to prove libel

There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false. Second, that person must prove that the statement caused harm. And, third, they must prove that the statement was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. In the case of a celebrity or public official trying to prove libel, they must prove the first three steps, and must (in the United States) prove the statement was made with the intent to do harm, or with reckless disregard for the truth. Usually specifically referred to as "proving malice".[17]

I think that this hit piece qualifies. It was meant to get people fired and in trouble. It was sure as hell malicious. And it was definitely false in his case. These kids are borderline in the public. The case would probably have merit in a civil court. In all likelihood, it would be settled out of court.

And now John Simon's been libeled as well. (http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/jun/02/osu-players-father-refutes-si-report/)

Shane P. Hallam
06-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Read the article. Dohrmann doesn't say Klein traded/sold his things for good. His source did and Dohrmann posed that as such. That isn't libel.

keylime_5
06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
this is what the article says:

"he witnessed nine other active players swap memorabilia or give autographs for tattoos or money. Those players were..." and he names Storm Klein in there.

journalism these days is basically you can say anything you want without sources or proof simply b/c it's the internet and weblog age where everybody and anybody has the ability to get something out there into public view.

keylime_5
06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
some more vindication from Youngstown News (link to the article was broken, but this is the article):

By JOE SCALZO

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The father of Ohio State defensive lineman John Simon said Sports Illustrated’s claim that his son traded memorabilia for tattoos is “completely bogus” and feels the magazine is on a “witch hunt” when it comes to the Buckeyes’ football program.

John Simon Sr., whose son is a Cardinal Mooney graduate and will be a junior at Ohio State this fall, said his son has just two tattoos — one on each arm — and that both came from Squirrelly’s Skin Art Inc. in Hubbard.

In this week’s magazine, two SI reporters cited an unnamed source claiming that 15 active members of the team, including Simon, swapped autographs or memorabilia for tattoos at a Columbus tattoo parlor called Fine Line Ink.

“He’s never been in this place or anywhere near this place,” said Simon Sr., whose son is not yet allowed to discuss the article due to an ongoing NCAA investigation. “That’s 100 percent bogus.

“The only thing they got right is the spelling of John’s name.”

Simon Sr. said he can’t speak for the other players mentioned — Ohio State has admitted that six of them, including Warren Harding High graduate Dan Herron, did trade memorabilia for autographs — but said that one of the other nine players mentioned doesn’t even have a tattoo.

“Their source is apparently an unnamed source who hung around the tattoo parlor,” Simon said. “They’re basically putting families and these boys through hell to put a story out that’s bogus.”

Simon said his son often speaks to charities and church groups and is worried the article will taint his reputation.

“He’s like, ‘Dad, these kids are going to think I’m a liar,’” Simon said. “It feels like a witch hunt.

“John’s friends sometimes kid him that he’s sometimes too straight and narrow but he loves what he’s doing so much, he’s not going to mess around.”

Simon said his son has every piece of memorabilia he’s ever received from Ohio State.

“It’s just a bad thing,” he said. “He’s proud to play at Ohio State and proud to be from Youngstown.

“It just seems like these guys wrote something bad about a kid with no reference to anything and then got away with it and went on his merry way.”

keylime_5
06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
....also it's been reported on the radio in Columbus that half of the players accussed in the SI article have already been cleared by the NCAA.

EricCartmann
06-04-2011, 03:10 AM
....also it's been reported on the radio in Columbus that half of the players accussed in the SI article have already been cleared by the NCAA.

How much did it cost them? Does the NCAA charge a flat rate to clear you?

Rabscuttle
06-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I think this will stay a relatively minor deal as long as ranks stay closed just like USC. The NCAA doesn't want to hurt their cash cows so they won't press into things deeper. A couple years of scholarship pain, miss a bowl game or two and things will be done with as long as they are more discreet about things int he future.

Heck, after nap time is over, you may come out of this with Urban Meyer who is well known for the tight ship he runs....

Shane P. Hallam
06-04-2011, 02:19 PM
this is what the article says:

"he witnessed nine other active players swap memorabilia or give autographs for tattoos or money. Those players were..." and he names Storm Klein in there.

journalism these days is basically you can say anything you want without sources or proof simply b/c it's the internet and weblog age where everybody and anybody has the ability to get something out there into public view.

See who the "he" was. It isn't Dohrmann.

draftguru151
06-04-2011, 03:20 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm8588oPsh1qiq2r8o1_500.jpg

keylime_5
06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
See who the "he" was. It isn't Dohrmann.

well i was just posting the snippet from the article. idc if he can sue him or not. it isn't fair that the guy can get his reputation tainted b/c some crackpot source gave false information that was/is easily disproven. they might not be able to act against Dorhmann but they should be able to get Ellis into some kinda trouble for what he told them.

Shane P. Hallam
06-04-2011, 09:52 PM
And I highly doubt Dohrmann would give up Ellis, so it is all moot.

JoeJoeBrown
06-04-2011, 11:48 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm8588oPsh1qiq2r8o1_500.jpg

It saddens me that a Miami fan can justifiably post that pic.

Granted, Miami was on a whole other level in the 80s and 90s, but it still hurts a bit.

ryno626
06-15-2011, 12:24 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/06/ohio-state-jim-tressel-compliance-seminar/1?csp=34

$weatervest no showed his mandatory compliance hearing which was part of the self imposed punishment OSU put on itself...

keylime_5
06-15-2011, 01:13 PM
well it's kinda pointless since he resigned.

JoeJoeBrown
06-15-2011, 01:20 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/06/ohio-state-jim-tressel-compliance-seminar/1?csp=34

$weatervest no showed his mandatory compliance hearing which was part of the self imposed punishment OSU put on itself...

Hey ******, would you go to a job function for a position that you don't hold anymore?

JoeJoeBrown
06-21-2011, 09:01 AM
BMV: No wrongdoing in Ohio State car purchases
From AP
By andrew welsh-huggins on June 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles says its investigation of Ohio State football players' car purchases found no evidence players received improper deals.

The agency undertook its review following allegations that two Columbus-area dealers sold vehicles to Ohio State athletes and family members at below market rates.

The BMV's 65-page report issued Tuesday said the certificates of titles for cars sold by Jack Maxton Chevrolet and Auto Direct to players and families accurately reflected the vehicles' sales prices.

Questions about players' car purchases arose in the wake of a scandal in which some players received cash and tattoos for autographs, championship rings and equipment.

keylime_5
06-21-2011, 10:11 AM
just a product of the media digging as hard as they could for scandal when they heard Ohio State was under investigation. Not the only thing they came up short on. The NCAA cleared the 9 guys that were accused of trading tattoos for memorabilia/cash - at least 2 of them have no tattoos at all. The media is making this look worse than it really is. So far, Pryor and Tressel are gone only b/c of what was revealed this past winter: the 5 guys (who are suspended) getting money and tattoos for memorabilia. Nothing else has been proven at all. The only reason those two aren't at OSU is b/c of the out of proportion **** storm the media has portrayed.

YAYareaRB
06-21-2011, 12:43 PM
just a product of the media digging as hard as they could for scandal when they heard Ohio State was under investigation. Not the only thing they came up short on. The NCAA cleared the 9 guys that were accused of trading tattoos for memorabilia/cash - at least 2 of them have no tattoos at all. The media is making this look worse than it really is. So far, Pryor and Tressel are gone only b/c of what was revealed this past winter: the 5 guys (who are suspended) getting money and tattoos for memorabilia. Nothing else has been proven at all. The only reason those two aren't at OSU is b/c of the out of proportion **** storm the media has portrayed.

If nothing was proven, then WTF? An additional BCS run was ended because of an unproven finding?

niel89
06-21-2011, 12:54 PM
What about Tressel holding back information?

I agree that media is trying really hard to find as much dirt as they can, but I'm not going to believe that Pryor and Tressel are just victims. They were actively apart of the problems they are facing now.

JoeJoeBrown
06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
What about Tressel holding back information?

I agree that media is trying really hard to find as much dirt as they can, but I'm not going to believe that Pryor and Tressel are just victims. They were actively apart of the problems they are facing now.

Yep. They paid the price for their sins.

Still, the media monkey-tards should all be beaten in the ballsack with a board that has nails in it.

keylime_5
06-21-2011, 02:42 PM
well Pryor was proven to do nothing more than Mike Adams, Dan Herron, DeVier Posey, and Solomon Thomas did - and those four guys are gonna play at Ohio State this year. Tressel lied to the NCAA that the didn't have any prior knowledge of the tattoo exchange, and the school was only gonna suspend him for 5 games for that. He resigned after the media backlash with hopes that the NCAA's sanctions wouldn't be as harsh with his resignation (poorly handled by Gene Smith and Gordon Gee mind you, why did they wait so long to make him resign when nothing changed?). It doesn't really make sense. The dreaded SI article just rehashed a bunch of old information and made some false accusations which either had no proof at all or were proven wrong.

YAYareaRB
06-21-2011, 03:50 PM
They should honestly just give back the trophy to The Ryan Mallet

http://sportsofboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/042911_Mallett.jpg

JoeJoeBrown
06-21-2011, 05:01 PM
well Pryor was proven to do nothing more than Mike Adams, Dan Herron, DeVier Posey, and Solomon Thomas did - and those four guys are gonna play at Ohio State this year. Tressel lied to the NCAA that the didn't have any prior knowledge of the tattoo exchange, and the school was only gonna suspend him for 5 games for that. He resigned after the media backlash with hopes that the NCAA's sanctions wouldn't be as harsh with his resignation (poorly handled by Gene Smith and Gordon Gee mind you, why did they wait so long to make him resign when nothing changed?). It doesn't really make sense. The dreaded SI article just rehashed a bunch of old information and made some false accusations which either had no proof at all or were proven wrong.

If Pryor had remained, someone could have dug into his past regarding the $ for signing. That is why he quit.

JoeJoeBrown
06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
They should honestly just give back the trophy to The Ryan Mallet

http://sportsofboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/042911_Mallett.jpg

What trophy? The Giant, Coke Snorting Wigger Of The Year Award?

niel89
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Yeah, Pryor knew a lot more crap would come out about him so he just decided to skip all the trouble.

I still have no idea how the Ncaa let those guys play in the Sugar Bowl. God damn the Ncaa really is just about the $.

YAYareaRB
06-21-2011, 05:15 PM
What trophy? The Giant, Coke Snorting Wigger Of The Year Award?

No, this one..

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/web-323816.jpg

niel89
06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
They need to vacate that trophy immediately. I hate when there is just an empty place in the record books but OSU shouldn't have it.

JoeJoeBrown
06-21-2011, 05:27 PM
I guarantee that Arkansas had at least as many paid players on that field. They are just better at cheating. Actually, they are just so pissant that no one cares about them enough to go sniffing around.

I'm enjoying the whining.

YAYareaRB
06-21-2011, 05:39 PM
I guarantee that Arkansas had at least as many paid players on that field. They are just better at cheating. Actually, they are just so pissant that no one cares about them enough to go sniffing around.

I'm enjoying whining.

Fixed it for you.

Why don't we just give them the trophy for being pissant and cheating and being better at it? come onnnn! whaaaadoyaasayyy??

JoeJoeBrown
06-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Fixed it for you.

Why don't we just give them the trophy for being pissant and cheating and being better at it? come onnnn! whaaaadoyaasayyy??

You are the one whining about the trophy and the game. It's making me laugh.

YAYareaRB
06-25-2011, 01:21 AM
You are the one whining about the trophy and the game. It's making me laugh.

I'm being sarcastic. Why would I care two shits about the razorbacks? sure I support them but they are far from being a favorite of mine.

Whining? Blaming the media for Ohio State's **** up? Being mad because they're better at the "cover up"? and im whining? get outta town

JoeJoeBrown
06-29-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm being sarcastic. Why would I care two shits about the razorbacks? sure I support them but they are far from being a favorite of mine.

Whining? Blaming the media for Ohio State's **** up? Being mad because they're better at the "cover up"? and im whining? get outta town

I like you, you make me laugh :) I'm not saying that sarcastically, either.

I have to say that I'm pretty pissed off at the blatant lies and accusations that the muckrackers are throwing around out there.

Nothing outside of Tatgate and Tressel trying to cover up Tatgate has stuck. Nothing.

On top of that, everything out there has been self-reported and investigated. I see nothing close to LOIC coming down.

2010 will likely be wiped out, including the Sugar Bowl. I doubt if we see schollies pulled or a post season ban. Just probation and a wipeout of the past.

I just hope OSU figures out how to clean up it's act.

YAYareaRB
06-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm actually very sympathetic when it comes to the buckeyes and what is going on. Nothing has been proven yet and run to another BCS championship took a hit over.. nothing being proven.

mellojello
07-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I have to say that I'm pretty pissed off at the blatant lies and accusations that the muckrackers are throwing around out there.

Nothing outside of Tatgate and Tressel trying to cover up Tatgate has stuck. Nothing.

This is the media, this is politics, this is our justice system...this is life JoeJoeBrown. You're only seeing it now since it's happening to you.

JoeJoeBrown
07-05-2011, 04:40 PM
This is the media, this is politics, this is our justice system...this is life JoeJoeBrown. You're only seeing it now since it's happening to you.

No, I see it all of the time. I just hate it when they are especially blatant in attempts to smear people for page views.

niel89
07-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Ohio St vacates last years wins. This comes from the university instead of the NCAA. They seem to be trying to punishing themselves so that the NCAA won't come down on them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6749330

Sloopy
07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Call me biased (I am) but it seems to me that this should be enough of a punishment for THE Ohio State.

The only allegations which have held up are those involved with tatgate. We already self imposed suspensions of those players for this year, forced our head coach to resign, and now this self imposed sanction AND throw on top of that the fact that the NCAA chose not to suspend those players from a bowl game last year.

Unless some of the other allegations are proven (some of them have already been disproved) I don't see why there would be a ban from post season play. Possibly some scholarships taken away but I would hope not...

JoeJoeBrown
07-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Call me biased (I am) but it seems to me that this should be enough of a punishment for THE Ohio State.

The only allegations which have held up are those involved with tatgate. We already self imposed suspensions of those players for this year, forced our head coach to resign, and now this self imposed sanction AND throw on top of that the fact that the NCAA chose not to suspend those players from a bowl game last year.

Unless some of the other allegations are proven (some of them have already been disproved) I don't see why there would be a ban from post season play. Possibly some scholarships taken away but I would hope not...

Totally agree.

The gnashing of teeth by the idiotic press right now is hilarious. They have a bunch of baseless accusations and nothing else. It's all based on feeling, not on fact. That Dohrmann SI article was a joke. No new content in there, and a bunch of baseless accusations where Dohrmann named players that weren't even involved.

yo123
07-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Vacating wins is the biggest joke of a punishment ever. If you can even call it a punishment that is. Everyone knows who won those games, especially the players. I can't believe they still do this as if it matters in the slightest.

keylime_5
07-11-2011, 04:30 PM
the vacating of wins is just a formality that comes with having played players who are ruled retroactively ineligible. What I find hilarious though is that they vacated the Sugar Bowl win after the NCAA said that Ohio State could play those players in the game, knowing even then that they were ineligible and said that they weren't suspended for the bowl game but for the first five of 2011 instead. NCAA is a joke, it would've been funny if Ohio State's self imposed punishment was to vacate all the wins except for the sugar bowl just as a kinda poke at the whole suspension or lack-thereof for that game.

As for if that is "enough" punishment....what we're talking about here is those 5 guys getting suspended for selling memorabilia for tattoos/cash. nothing else has been proven and nothing else really is there that has much substance to it. I wouldn't expect too much more if anything since it seems we're dealing with an isolated incident still.

JHL6719
07-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Ohio State's Jim Tressel did 'unacceptable' job in reporting violations - ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6772029/ohio-state-jim-tressel-did-unacceptable-job-reporting-violations