PDA

View Full Version : Patriots Draft: Love it or Hate it?

onejayhawk
05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Here is the list:

New England Patriots:

1.17 OL Nate Solder Colorado
2.01 DB Ras-I Dowling Virginia
2.24 RB Shane Vereen California
3.09 RB Stevan Ridley Louisiana State
3.10 QB Ryan Mallett Arkansas
5.07 OL Marcus Cannon Texas Christian
5.28 TE Lee Smith Marshall
6.29 LB Markell Carter Central Arkansas
7.16 DB Malcolm Williams Texas Christian

I have seen this on best draft lists and worst draft lists. Which is it?

No one comes out of the draft with less talent than they have to start, so consider B-/C+ an average draft.

J

regoob2
05-30-2011, 04:38 PM
How can you not love it?

Didnt they also add another 1st and 2nd next year?

CashmoneyDrew
05-30-2011, 04:42 PM
It's very high risk/high reward. Also kinda get downgraded for not really addressing the pass-rush. Meh, I'd give it a B or B-.

vidae
05-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I gave it a C. It wasn't awful and it wasn't great.

descendency
05-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Sum of the Parts >> Whole.

There are some really good picks there (Mallett, Cannon) and some solid ones (Solder, Dowling, Vereen), but it seems like the Patriots are just a younger version of what they already were... a team who can't rush the passer or control the LOS but can do a lot of other things right.

descendency
05-30-2011, 04:52 PM
How can you not love it?

Didnt they also add another 1st and 2nd next year?

They did. I think the biggest knock is their are no impact players at key positions of need despite this being "a deep class" for the DE/OLB and DE/DT prospects.

onejayhawk
05-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Imagine the draft if they swapped 3rd and 5th rounds with KC.

3rd Justin Houston, Allen Bailey
5th Ricky Stanzi, Gabe Miller

Both teams get a QBoF, NE gets two pass rushers and a DE with a lot of raw tools. The Chiefs get a big RB, blocking TE and moose of an OL. I would do that deal, for either team, unless you really like Mallett.

J

Matthew Jones
05-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Imagine the draft if they swapped 3rd and 5th rounds with KC.

3rd Justin Houston, Allen Bailey
5th Ricky Stanzi, Gabe Miller

Both teams get a QBoF, NE gets two pass rushers and a DE with a lot of raw tools. The Chiefs get a big RB, blocking TE and moose of an OL. I would do that deal, for either team, unless you really like Mallett.

J

Allen Bailey doesn't really fit in the defense - he's too big to be an outside linebacker and too small to be a defensive end. Justin Houston likely wasn't drafted because of his lack of consistent effort, failed drug test, stiffness and inexperience dropping into coverage, and mediocre ability to set the edge. Stanzi would have been a good fit but obviously Mallett has a lot more to work with. Gabe Miller is intriguing but probably drafted a little bit early, and some Patriots fans are interested in seeing what Markell Carter would do. I think Bailey/Houston would be a case of New England addressing their needs on paper, but not in reality.

GaMeTiMe
05-30-2011, 05:51 PM
They had an A+ draft because they acquired 1st and 2nd round picks next year. That's all that needs to be said. Ryan Mallet is a future trade chip that they'll probably end up with a 1st for too. They're not stupid, they see the Kevin Kolb situation and know he isn't very good.

Vereen will be the best back they have as a rookie and they've always carried 4 guys, Ridley is that guy. They ran Green-Ellis into the ground last year and this is probably going to be his last season with the team, so Ridley will move up next year and we'll all applaud the pick when he's the big bruiser of the committee.

As far as OLB is concerned, I think they're a perfect landing spot for Matt Roth. They need a veteran there because Cunningham is no sure thing just yet. Wouldn't need to blow the bank, either.

onejayhawk
05-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Allen Bailey doesn't really fit in the defense - he's too big to be an outside linebacker and too small to be a defensive end. Justin Houston likely wasn't drafted because of his lack of consistent effort, failed drug test, stiffness and inexperience dropping into coverage, and mediocre ability to set the edge. Stanzi would have been a good fit but obviously Mallett has a lot more to work with. Gabe Miller is intriguing but probably drafted a little bit early, and some Patriots fans are interested in seeing what Markell Carter would do. I think Bailey/Houston would be a case of New England addressing their needs on paper, but not in reality.

Bailey is pure DE, and he is not too small, but his body fat is too low, which holds the weight down. Once he trains up a bit, he will likely play about 295, which is fine for a 5 tech. As to Houston, the Pats had two round 3 cracks at him, and went other directions. As much as I like Ridley as a player and a pick, I think this was a mistake. Mallett, I cannot argue. In any event, expect something along the lines of Brian Orakpo from Houston, but with more chances to rush the passer.

As for Miller, I blew a few minds by mocking him in exactly that pick, in a contest. Had Stanzi been their 4th round pick I would ahve been golden. Ah well. The Chiefs knew there was interest in several places for Miller, and they had to wait 49 picks between their 5tha nd their 6th. I doubt he would have lasted. As a bonus, Powe did last, so they got both players.

As to Carter, et al, I think this is the best point to date. As with the Chiefs last year, the draft community has the Patriots throwing picks at a problem the Pats FO thinks is under control. Lord knows they have enough young bodies to plug in.

As with the RBs this year, they were thinking ahead.

J

bucfan12
05-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Here is the list:

New England Patriots:

1.17 OL Nate Solder Colorado
2.01 DB Ras-I Dowling Virginia
2.24 RB Shane Vereen California
3.09 RB Stevan Ridley Louisiana State
3.10 QB Ryan Mallett Arkansas
5.07 OL Marcus Cannon Texas Christian
5.28 TE Lee Smith Marshall
6.29 LB Markell Carter Central Arkansas
7.16 DB Malcolm Williams Texas Christian

I have seen this on best draft lists and worst draft lists. Which is it?

No one comes out of the draft with less talent than they have to start, so consider B-/C+ an average draft.

J

I gave it a C+.

It wasn;t terriblem but there were better options for them.

Chris Carter from Fresno State would have been a great pick in the 3rd/4th for them.

Didn't like the Nate Solder pick. He's got a small build at 6'7 300 lbs and isn't a LT in my opinion. High risk type of player and I think they should have went with Costanzo.

Only pick I liked was Dowling. I think he'll be a great compliment from McCourtey on defense.

Shane Vereen was a reach and I don't like them taking 2 RBs in the 1st 3 rounds.

Mallett is a solid pick because he's a talent, but he has starters potential and how will any team get a look at him when he'll never see the field? (unless Brady goes down, but unlikely since every rule against QBs is because of him). I don't see how he'll get trade value.

cajuncorey
05-30-2011, 10:02 PM
that defensive backfield only gets better. and regardless of what people say, nate solder does have a place in that offense and if marcus cannon checks out he will too. the runningback selects only help the backfield. and mallet is the potential sucesser to brady.

grade is an A
theres nothing to hate about this draft.

Matthew Jones
05-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I gave it a C+.

It wasn;t terriblem but there were better options for them.

Chris Carter from Fresno State would have been a great pick in the 3rd/4th for them.

Didn't like the Nate Solder pick. He's got a small build at 6'7 300 lbs and isn't a LT in my opinion. High risk type of player and I think they should have went with Costanzo.

Only pick I liked was Dowling. I think he'll be a great compliment from McCourtey on defense.

Shane Vereen was a reach and I don't like them taking 2 RBs in the 1st 3 rounds.

Mallett is a solid pick because he's a talent, but he has starters potential and how will any team get a look at him when he'll never see the field? (unless Brady goes down, but unlikely since every rule against QBs is because of him). I don't see how he'll get trade value.

The Patriots are very specific in what they look for in terms of size with their linebackers - seems like 6'3", 250 or so is the absolute minimum. Chris Carter was what, 6'1", 240? They probably didn't want to compromise their standards for someone like that. The Patriots have one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL in Dante Scarnecchia and figured they could iron out the kinks in Solder's game. Anthony Castonzo was a Tom Condon client so he was very unlikely to be the pick that high, although they did draft Cannon in the fifth, who's also with Condon.

SativaDominant
05-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Dunno how people can like the Tyron Smith pick at 9 and not like Solder at 17. Much better value for essentially the same type of project.

I actually like the runningback picks. Vereen fills in the Faulk role very nicely. BJGE is a relatively untalented pounder who will probably walk when his contract is up because the Pats won't resign him.

The Mallett pick is excellent. People say it gives them a trade chip for the future, but if he plays up to his talent level, he'll be replacing Brady within three years.

Dowling gives him another talented piece in the secondary. People always forget that Belichick's scheme isn't predicated on pressure, but exotic coverage shells.

Like somebody said, BB very specific in what he looks for in his OLBs...if a prospect doesn't fit that mold, he simply won't take him (not to mention that the depth of edge rushing talent in this draft was overstated). He added a ton of young talent to that defense last year, and I've got a feeling hek's got high hopes for Jermaine Cunningham's development as well.

ellsy82
05-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I gave it a C. It wasn't awful and it wasn't great.

Agree with this person. C. Nothing spectacular. Just moving up and down the board and drafting very questionable players. Stockpiling more picks is good...when you capitalize on them every once in awhile. This draft had no sure-fire hits. Very uninspiring.

Rosebud
05-31-2011, 01:13 AM
I like their trades a lot but the players they picked leave me feeling very cool towards this draft. I voted B-/C+ but that's mostly on the strength of their trades.

AntoinCD
05-31-2011, 02:55 AM
I think this draft is a solid B. They traded the 28th pick for a second rounder and a future first. No matter what way you look at that it's good business. They also picked up another 2nd rounder next year.

They took both Ryan Mallett and Marcus Cannon later in the draft(3rd and 5th respectively). Both had at worst fringe first round talent and while there were reasons they fell the value was simply phenomenal.

Nate Solder in the first isn't a flashy pick but his upside is almost limitless. Bit of a risk but could turn into a great player.

Ras-I Dowling was a bit of a surprise at the time but it does make sense. At times the Patriots dressed 3 CBs last year, one rookie, one undrafted player and a second year disappointment in Darius Butler. Simply unacceptable. With Dowling and Leigh Bodden coming back the Patriots should have a formidable secondary.

Shane Vereen offers depth and a potential big play threat at RB. Like CB the Pats at times only dressed 2 RBs last year.

Ridley was a reach. I will admit that and Im not a huge fan of the pick.

Lee Smith isn't flashy either but will likely take over the important role Alge Crumpler played last year by the end of the season.

Carter is a stab in the dark to hope that his impressive physical tools translate and the same with Williams who was a special teamer in college.

Really they improved their offensive line(huge for the future of Brady), improved the running game, added depth and a potential starter to the secondary, added at worst an extremely talented back up QB and a few late round guys with upside. All while adding two future picks in the top two rounds.

The only reason this falls a little is because the OLB position wasn't addressed until late, but going on value who should they have selected? Brooks Reed maybe at 33 and it's not as though he was this sure fire player.

I would give it a solid B

Brothgar
06-01-2011, 02:00 AM
This draft just like every other draft that went BPA approach really depends on what happens in Free Agency. If the Pats get a free agent OLB then this draft looks epic. Solder very high upside and will likely sit one full season before being forced to start. Cannon next year will still be a second round level prospect who may start right away (next year) at guard. Ryan Mallett may just be the successor to Tom Brady. I mean in 3 years Brady will be 37 years old and if Mallett becomes close to what his potential is we will see Brady go the way of Montana (who was traded to the chiefs when he was 37)
The two RBs is where this draft lost me not a fan of either specially when you look at the other RBs available at those slots. Hell you could make an argument that Derrick Locke is a better RB than Vereen.

FlyingElvis
06-01-2011, 08:20 AM
This one is a pretty classic "we'll see" draft. Solder / Dowling / Mallett / Cannon are all clearly huge upside with equally huge risk for various reasons. As always, I can't complain about the guys NE did get, but will always wonder why guys were passed over. My list of "career watch" guys keeps growing, with Reed, Hankerson, Heyward & Jordan joining the ranks this year.

Gave the draft a B because it's too tough to call right now.

We may not see much from Solder this year - or he could be the immediate starter at LT if Light is not signed. As mentioned, we Pats fans have the utmost faith in Dante as the OL coach and Solder has the potential to be a regular in Hawaii. Same goes for Cannon, who seems to be responding well to treatment thus far. (link to ESPN interview w/Cannon from May 19 (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6567280&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines))

I'll admit it, as much as I may not like it . . . Mallett is very likely to be Brady's replacement. The Montana comparison is a good one.

The RBs are not really surprising. Ridley will be highly scrutinized, but falls into the we'll see category for sure. The other players are nice fits but nothing spectacular.

It's hard to argue with the philosophy of NEs front office. Every year there are 5 or 6 picks through 3 rounds and that will continue again next year. Adding yet another additional pick in round 1 and round 2 next year while selecting 5 guys by pick 74 is excellent. Those extra picks next year make me want to bump the draft grade up to B+ . . .

Iamcanadian
06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I gave it an A+ on draft day, 3 years from now who knows but for now, Solder solves their LT position and Dowling could turnout to be a star if he can stay healthy similar to Gronkowski. Teams like NE can take those kinds of risk.
Mallett and Cannon are 2 other potential NFL stars if all goes well.
They also felt they needed a backup RB and drafted for it.
IMO, anytime you can draft 4 potential stars/starters, you have a superb draft never mind the extra picks for next year's draft. Anybody who criticizes this draft are just plain jealous of NE and BB.

onejayhawk
06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I can see two trends showing. On one hand, there are those that think this is an outstanding BPA draft, with a lot of upside in 2012 and beyond. OTOH there are those that think that the issues oe DE and OLB are critical, awent unaddressed. On a lesser note, there is division over the quality of Solder as a player. Again this is an upside vs immediate impact division.

Before I drop in my couple of pennies, consider last years draft. As one commentor said, after the season, the draft was so good that one of their cuts started 13 games, for another team. Yet, this time last year they were getting dogged for not addressing the pass rush early enough, not to mention issues with the running game, etc. An A+ draft was mostly reviewed as Bs and Cs.

I do not think this draft is as good as last year's draft, but it is of the same type. Solder is not the type of player that you can expect to drop in and see Pro Bowl production. In fact, the best approach would be to play him at RT for a year, to get his feet wet. That being said, no OL has the long term potential as a LT. I give them this one. They spent two more picks, starting with Ras-I Dowling, on the secondary. Picks well invested, since there are serious depth issues, and a hole at Nickel CB. The two RBs are both solid value picks. While the RB situation is solid this season, the same would not be true in 2012. Mallett gets few objections.

So, for the premium picks, they are looking to 2012. Is there a problem with that? Granted, there was a load of talent in areas which they passed over, but there is also unproven talent on the roster in the same areas. For the later picks, this is typical value draftingat its best. Cannon may be a steal. Smith might be a great blocking TE, or move into the main OL. Eitehr way a solid pick. Carter and Williams are long shots to make the roster, but decent gambles.

Overall B+

J

Razor
06-02-2011, 01:35 PM
They had an A+ draft because they acquired 1st and 2nd round picks next year. That's all that needs to be said. Ryan Mallet is a future trade chip that they'll probably end up with a 1st for too. They're not stupid, they see the Kevin Kolb situation and know he isn't very good.

Vereen will be the best back they have as a rookie and they've always carried 4 guys, Ridley is that guy. They ran Green-Ellis into the ground last year and this is probably going to be his last season with the team, so Ridley will move up next year and we'll all applaud the pick when he's the big bruiser of the committee.

As far as OLB is concerned, I think they're a perfect landing spot for Matt Roth. They need a veteran there because Cunningham is no sure thing just yet. Wouldn't need to blow the bank, either.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Mallett isn't intended to be a trade chip, but rather Brady's successor. But that's just speculation... I don't agree that NE ran Lawfirm into the ground, he averaged something like 16 carries per game iirc. He's a decent back and I could see him sticking around. He's a good guy, team first mentality and great work ethic, he's respected and well liked in the locker room. Basically he's the kind of guy you would want on your team, and BB knows this I'm sure.

I grade the Patriots draft B-/C+. The complete failure that was the reluctance to move up and grab an impact player like Robert Quinn and not drafting a perfect schematic fit in Muhammad Wilkerson (thus leaving him for the Jets of all teams for crying out loud!) really annoys the **** out of me. I do think that the NO trade was a great deal (highway robbery is perhaps a more fitting expression here) so I'm not completely pissed that we didn't grab Wilkerson. NE had the youngest defense in the league last year and getting younger wouldn't necessarily improve the defense. Chances are that they would regress if that were to happen. NE also has Ty Warren coming back along with Mike Wright and Myron Pryor. Throw in Stroud, Deaderick, Kade Weston and Darryl Richard and you've got yourself a pretty damn good rotation at RDE with some nice upside to it as well.

I love the Dowling selection, I think he's going to be a stud whether he plays safety or corner for us (it's looking like corner atm). NE has great depth in the defensive backfield right now, probably better than any other team in the NFL tbh. Great upside as well. Markell Carter is a very intriguing player, he looks very fast on tape although that was against lower level of competition. He does look like he has some upside though and I really hope that BB found something in him. Cannon is probably my favorite pick. Huge upside as a RG, and he's well on his way to a complete recovery. Solder looks like a future franchise LT. With Scar coaching him up I have no doubts that he will fulfill his potential.

Basically I feel that this draft improved the team in the long run, but immediate contribution from this class will be limited which is in sharp contrast with last year's draft class. I'm okay with this draft, but I'm not going to rate it all that high because we didn't get Quinn. Had we moved up to get him this draft would have gotten an A+ form me.

SativaDominant
06-02-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a sneaky suspicion that Mallett isn't intended to be a trade chip, but rather Brady's successor. But that's just speculation... I don't agree that NE ran Lawfirm into the ground, he averaged something like 16 carries per game iirc. He's a decent back and I could see him sticking around. He's a good guy, team first mentality and great work ethic, he's respected and well liked in the locker room. Basically he's the kind of guy you would want on your team, and BB knows this I'm sure.

I grade the Patriots draft B-/C+. The complete failure that was the reluctance to move up and grab an impact player like Robert Quinn and not drafting a perfect schematic fit in Muhammad Wilkerson (thus leaving him for the Jets of all teams for crying out loud!) really annoys the **** out of me. I do think that the NO trade was a great deal (highway robbery is perhaps a more fitting expression here) so I'm not completely pissed that we didn't grab Wilkerson. NE had the youngest defense in the league last year and getting younger wouldn't necessarily improve the defense. Chances are that they would regress if that were to happen. NE also has Ty Warren coming back along with Mike Wright and Myron Pryor. Throw in Stroud, Deaderick, Kade Weston and Darryl Richard and you've got yourself a pretty damn good rotation at RDE with some nice upside to it as well.

I love the Dowling selection, I think he's going to be a stud whether he plays safety or corner for us (it's looking like corner atm). NE has great depth in the defensive backfield right now, probably better than any other team in the NFL tbh. Great upside as well. Markell Carter is a very intriguing player, he looks very fast on tape although that was against lower level of competition. He does look like he has some upside though and I really hope that BB found something in him. Cannon is probably my favorite pick. Huge upside as a RG, and he's well on his way to a complete recovery. Solder looks like a future franchise LT. With Scar coaching him up I have no doubts that he will fulfill his potential.

Basically I feel that this draft improved the team in the long run, but immediate contribution from this class will be limited which is in sharp contrast with last year's draft class. I'm okay with this draft, but I'm not going to rate it all that high because we didn't get Quinn. Had we moved up to get him this draft would have gotten an A+ form me.

Plus, you've got to factor in two major things that everyone overlooks:

1) Belichick's defense is predicated more on exotic coverage shells and secondary talent than exotic blitz schemes and edge talent
2) "Instant impact" from rookies will be severely limited this year

Roddoliver
06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I just want to know why the Patriots keep adding future picks when Brady only gets older. Why don't them make the investment to win now? I'm not talking about having a good regular season. I'm talking about winning the Super Bowl. To me, they should use their draft picks to add talent now and take the next step to get another ring. Got two 1st round picks? Draft two impact players and try to win it all while Brady is playing at a high level.

onejayhawk
06-02-2011, 08:16 PM
I just want to know why the Patriots keep adding future picks when Brady only gets older. Why don't them make the investment to win now? I'm not talking about having a good regular season. I'm talking about winning the Super Bowl. To me, they should use their draft picks to add talent now and take the next step to get another ring. Got two 1st round picks? Draft two impact players and try to win it all while Brady is playing at a high level.

The answer to this one is obvious. They needed to retool the whole roster. Look at how old the roster was in 2008. Look at it now.

J

AntoinCD
06-03-2011, 02:36 AM

Well quite simply because Belichick's mantra is no one player is bigger than the team. He will do what is best both in the short and long term for the New England Patriots, not Tom Brady. If he thinks they can contend for Superbowls while also building for a life without Brady then that's the way he will go, rather than putting lots of resources into short term investments

FlyingElvis
06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Pats fans on here regularly hope to see BB take two top talents rather than starting the trade down game.

But, overall, it's not like he's choosing to not draft "impact players" by trading. NE still selected players at 17 / 33 / 56 this year. Aside from a theoretical trade up for someone (who?) they passed on . . . Heyward? Ingram? I like both but I'm not willing to say either is the difference between a SB this year and another one-and-done.

keylime_5
06-03-2011, 10:39 AM
i thought it was a great draft. not only did they get extra picks for next year (including a first rounder), they got two guys who can start on the offensive line and potentially be pro bowlers or all-pro even based on their athletic ability and upside, plus a starting defensive back and a franchise QB type player that they will eventually use as a bargain chip in the future. It wasn't a predictable draft at all or anything what anyone expected them to do, but they got good value and filled positions that would have become big needs in the near future had they not addressed them. Of course they address RB the Belichick way by not taking a premier one but rather taking two role players that didn't get a lot of predraft buzz but will probably do very well in New England's system.

onejayhawk
06-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Something was pointed out to me. In the last three years, all the future picks the Pats aquired, have been higher in the round than the pick trades. Not only are they getting a current 2nd or 3rd round pick, they are also trading up in the round. Of course, that is not known at the time of the trade.

I have not verified this, but it seems reasonable.

J

descendency
06-04-2011, 11:51 AM
The Patriots draft this year is surmised by a famous quote (by Parcells I think). "You can't get a veteran QB in the draft."

The Patriots have lots of youth on this team and they needed to replace some ancient veterans (Kevin Faulk is the last pre-Belichick player still on the team - one of the few things Pete Carroll did right).

Matt Light for Nate Solder
Kevin Faulk for Shane Vereen
Sammy Morris for Stevan Ridley
Alge Crumpler (probably next year) for Lee Smith

Marcus Cannon is now insurance for Mankins or potentially the 2012 starter at RG. (please Bill, resign Mankins... please!@?!?!?)

The only holes I continue to see are at WR (NE lacks a true #1), DE, and OLB. That said, Brady has tons of targets and the Patriots get Ty Warren back which could alleviate the DE situation. A free agent OLB is well within reason to believe. (Manny Lawson...)

onejayhawk
06-04-2011, 08:08 PM
The Patriots draft this year is surmised by a famous quote (by Parcells I think). "You can't get a veteran QB in the draft."

The Patriots have lots of youth on this team and they needed to replace some ancient veterans (Kevin Faulk is the last pre-Belichick player still on the team - one of the few things Pete Carroll did right).

Marcus Cannon is now insurance for Mankins or potentially the 2012 starter at RG. (please Bill, resign Mankins... please!@?!?!?)

The only holes I continue to see are at WR (NE lacks a true #1), DE, and OLB. That said, Brady has tons of targets and the Patriots get Ty Warren back which could alleviate the DE situation. A free agent OLB is well within reason to believe. (Manny Lawson...)

I hope you mean re-sign.

Matthew Jones
06-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Lawson reportedly wanted to be one of the highest-paid OLBs in the league, which is absurd given his lack of success rushing the passer. He can set the edge and cover well but he'd need to take a substantially lower deal than what he's seeking. Mathias Kiwanuka would be nice though.

Nalej
06-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Lawson reportedly wanted to be one of the highest-paid OLBs in the league, which is absurd given his lack of success rushing the passer. He can set the edge and cover well but he'd need to take a substantially lower deal than what he's seeking. Mathias Kiwanuka would be nice though.

This is what I'm hoping for.

Halsey
06-05-2011, 12:44 AM
I kinda wanted to see the Patriots trade up for AJ Green. That woulda been the bomb, literally.

batsandgats
06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
why would Vereen take up Faulk's role? Wasn't there a guy that had like 1,000 yards from scrimmage last season coming onto the team after a few games in the season? great pass blocker, great receiver out of the backfield, averaged 5.6 ypc, 5'8 around 200 pounds, 4.3-4.4 speed, great agility...whats his name? Danny Woodhead

8bj6N2jtOeM

Im guessing the maker of the vid meant Kevin, Danny is a better runner than Kevin was though. Nice footage of his breakout preseason game with the Jets and the entire 2010 season with the Pats.

Vereen is about the same size as BenJarvus Green-Ellis and I could see him taking that role. I don't think they "ran him into the ground", I just think he overacheived last year and doubt he could replicate that again and have another 1k season, hes not that big for his running style and not that fast, no receiving skills either. The Ridley pick I don't understand, he's like a slower version of Hester without the pass catching ability, maybe they use him as a blocker and goal line back?