PDA

View Full Version : John Elway is a crybaby

vikes_28
05-31-2011, 02:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820161cf/article/broncos-legend-asks-punk-band-elway-to-change-its-name?module=HP_headlines

Broncos legend asks punk band 'Elway' to change its name

Associated Press
Published: May 30, 2011 at 06:47 p.m.
Updated: May 31, 2011 at 09:04 a.m.

The punk rock band thought it was a way to honor its Colorado roots. Apparently, John Elway has a different opinion on the name change.

"Elway" has been asked through a letter to change the group's name after the Hall of Fame quarterback's representatives caught wind of its act.

Lead singer Tim Browne finds it flattering that Elway, the chief football executive of the Denver Broncos, has taken notice of a band that routinely plays "in front of about 30 people in a basement." But Brown says the four-man group from Fort Collins, Colo., plans to keep the name.

Browne's band switched from "10-4 Eleanor" to "Elway" last November, and the change has generated plenty of talk of late.

"None of us really care about football that much," Browne said Saturday in a phone interview with The Associated Press a night after performing at a small venue in Philadelphia. "It's not a direct reference to John Elway. We make no mention of him in records or in our art work. He's local color, part of the local vernacular that people understand."

Browne doesn't quite understand the fuss, but certainly appreciates the attention, even suggesting he'll give Elway a raise for all the publicity the flap has generated.

A phone message was left seeking comment from Elway's representatives.

Browne said the letter strongly urged the band to change its name, but it didn't include a cease and desist order.

"They're banking on us being idiots and that we wouldn't talk to a lawyer," Browne said. "They wanted us to email them back when we change the band's name. I haven't even responded to them. It's blown my mind that it's gotten this big."

The group is scheduled to play in Indianapolis, St. Louis and Kansas City, Mo., before returning in mid-June to Fort Collins, about an hour's drive north of Denver.

"We're just guys living in a van, driving across the country, playing shows with next to nobody (in the audience)," Browne said. "And then this multimillion dollar successful business man, Hall of Fame football player gets so mortified that a punk band would use his last name? It's an incredible shock it happened.

"We're not out to get John Elway. This situation is hilarious and he needs to loosen up. Life's too short to worry about a punk rock band using your name."

Browne wasn't a big sports fan growing up. But since he lived in the area and Elway was the face of the Broncos, the face of the state for that matter, he did pay attention to the beloved quarterback.

Elway led the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl championships before retiring in 1999. He returned to the team in January to begin restoring the franchise's tarnished image and bring back its winning ways.

He also is a successful entrepreneur, operating a popular steakhouse in town bearing his name.

"It's kind of hard not to know much about him living in Colorado," Browne said. "But I really have no interest in meeting him."

In addition to Browne, the group also includes bass player Joe Henderer, drummer Garrett Carr and guitarist Brian Van Proyen.

And while Elway the quarterback once played in sold-out stadiums, "Elway" the band barely fills a venue.

"We're slouches," Browne said, laughing. "But we're not the worst slouches in the world. We're doing what we can. We're about having a good time, not trying to steal money out of anyone's pocket.

"We're so small that it confounds me thoroughly why anyone would try to legally strong-arm us."

I think this is hilarious. Does John Elway actually think that he is the only person with that last name?

For the record, found the band's myspace. Actually aren't bad at all.

http://www.Myspace.com/Elway

FlyingElvis
05-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Free Pub!

The punk band needs to send stick-in-the-mud Elway a thank you card. Or, since it's punk rock, smash some beer bottles on his house. Then piss on his dog and write a mean song about him. lol

soybean
05-31-2011, 03:05 PM
eh it makes sense from a business standpoint. You don't want anybody or anything remotely making a profit out of your likeness or your name recognition without your permission.

slightlyaraiderfan
05-31-2011, 03:26 PM
njx will be mad he didn't think of this a long time ago.

GaMeTiMe
05-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Somebody get this to Trey Parker and Matt Stone. NOW!!

EricCartmann
05-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Somebody get this to Trey Parker and Matt Stone. NOW!!

Truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jth1331
05-31-2011, 03:37 PM
eh it makes sense from a business standpoint. You don't want anybody or anything remotely making a profit out of your likeness or your name recognition without your permission.

Yeah, Elway is a "crybaby" for not wanting others to profit from his namesake or actually could be made that he doesn't want them to tarnish his image.

FlyingElvis
05-31-2011, 03:42 PM
njx will be mad he didn't think of this a long time ago.

. . . and then sad because it's now too main stream for him to use?

DBNYDP
05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
The whole claim of the name isn't common would be valid if the band didn't name themselves after John because they were from Colorado. I mean he didn't send them a cease and desist letter, but rather just urged them to change the name.

John's a very public figure and is especially huge in Denver, so while I don't think it is a big deal I can understand why he would want to make sure his name is attached to "more worthy" things or at least things he supports.

vikes_28
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, Elway is a "crybaby" for not wanting others to profit from his namesake or actually could be made that he doesn't want them to tarnish his image.

Lol, they said in the article that they're named that because it's from the roots of their state. If Elway wouldn't have made a big deal out of it, they wouldn't be all over the news right now. It's Elway's own fault that this is happening.

Timbathia
05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Lol, they said in the article that they're named that because it's from the roots of their state. If Elway wouldn't have made a big deal out of it, they wouldn't be all over the news right now. It's Elway's own fault that this is happening.

What are you talking about? They are using Elway's name, but it is somehow Elway's fault?

Maybe I will start a Gentlemens establishment called John Elway's Strip Joint. He shouldnt care because I am a nobody slouch and he is a successful businessman. And if he does care, then I will get publicity, make a whole lot of money and it will be his fault.

What a cry-baby for caring about the primary thing that makes him a successful businessman - name recognition.

Hurricanes25
05-31-2011, 08:00 PM
John Elway does not own the name "Elway".

At least the band is getting some publicity.

yo123
05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
So if they would have called their band "Anderson" could a million Andersons tell them to change their name? That's what I don't get about this.

Splat
05-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Was the name donkey face all ready taken?

bam bam
05-31-2011, 08:46 PM
So is he going to get on everybody with the last name Elway for using his name too?

Is John from the Gospel of John going to rise from the dead and recommend John Elway stop using his namesake as well?

This is a ******** ego trip.

EricCartmann
05-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Good thing this band has a different name than my band. The name of my Band is John Albert Elway Jr.

whatadai
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
They should change the band name to "Tebow is better than Elway" so they can get even more free publicity from Elway.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
bah, my band is called 'andrew'.
no, tell everybody the truth. it's 'jessica'

Tom Servo
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Live at the Whiskey... its the Self Absorbed Horsefaced Cokksuckers.

If they were actual Broncos fans they'd name their band the Terrell Davises

phlysac
06-01-2011, 05:21 PM
This reminds of when Spike Lee sued The Nashville Network TNN for changing its name to SpikeTV.

SativaDominant
06-01-2011, 05:47 PM

And why is it "from the roots of their state"? Because of John ******* Elway. It's not like the word "Elway" has anything to do with Colorado other than John Elway.

Elway, clearly is not making a big deal out of it. If he did, he would have filed a lawsuit. At the very least, a cease and desist order. He did neither of those, just simply asking them to change their name - and, apparently, in a very non-threatening or intimidating way.

You know who is making a big deal out of it? A no-name band that's likely trying to garner attention to itself. Bands get sued over naming rights all the ******* time. They're often forced to either change the name of the band or pay a monetary settlement to have the naming rights suit dropped. If Elway really felt like being an asshole about it, he would have immediately filed suit, in which case they'd be forced to acquire legal counsel - something I highly doubt a ****** garage band nobody cares about could afford.

Splat
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
You know who is making a big deal out of it? A no-name band that's likely trying to garner attention to itself.

They have a name "Elway".

Prowler
06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I think it would be awesome if somebody named a band after me. I'd make them wear my jersey. I don't care if it was country or russian lesbopop.

phlysac
06-01-2011, 08:09 PM
You know who is making a big deal out of it? A no-name band that's likely trying to garner attention to itself.

Noone would've known about this band if John Elway hadn't made it a news story.

SativaDominant
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Noone would've known about this band if John Elway hadn't made it a news story.

"None of us really care about football that much," Browne said Saturday in a phone interview with The Associated Press a night after performing at a small venue in Philadelphia. "It's not a direct reference to John Elway. We make no mention of him in records or in our art work. He's local color, part of the local vernacular that people understand."

"They're banking on us being idiots and that we wouldn't talk to a lawyer," Browne said. "They wanted us to email them back when we change the band's name. I haven't even responded to them. It's blown my mind that it's gotten this big."

A phone message was left seeking comment from Elway's representatives.

Who made this a news story again?

Rabscuttle
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
It's not like their act includes donning horse masks. Now, that would have been an obvious attempt at cashing in on Elway's image.

killxswitch
06-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Who made this a news story again?

Elway and his lawyers, by sending a request strongly urging them to change the name. If they don't send that, the band has nothing to say to anybody about it.

Elway needs to get off his high horseface and get over it. Regardless of whether he has legal grounds to sue or not, from a common-sense perspective it is stupid to get worked up over something petty like this. The very idea that the existence of a tiny, unsigned and unknown punk band will somehow soil the reputation of a 2-time SB winner and successful businessman like Elway is beyond ridiculous.

vikes_28
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
It all goes back to saying that John Elway is not the only person with that name in the world. Like someone said before, is John the gospel going to rise from the dead and get pissy with Elway for having that name? I don't think so. This is an ego trip on Elway's part.

niel89
06-01-2011, 10:53 PM
He may not be the only Elway in the world but they clearly named themselves after him.

vikes_28
06-02-2011, 01:32 AM
He may not be the only Elway in the world but they clearly named themselves after him.

Agreed, but a pop-punk band that wasn't going anywhere who's name is Elway shouldn't bother John Elway. I just don't get why John Elway is making a huge fuss over it.

Bengalsrocket
06-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Also it should be noted, the name of a human being is not the same thing as a name of a band. So everyone using the analogy (ermm, guess it's not really an analogy though) of the name John is doing so incorrectly.

killxswitch
06-02-2011, 07:42 AM
When I liken John Elway to a horse-faced assbag, am I using the analogy correctly? Or wait, is that a simile?

SativaDominant
06-02-2011, 10:30 AM
given that neither of the biblical 'johns' were likely actually called 'john', i'm not sure they'd really give two ***** what elway's first name is. false equivalence.

Wait, you mean to say that the people in the bible weren't blond haired, blue eyed white people with British names? Get outta here!

FlyingElvis
06-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Wait, you mean to say that the people in the bible weren't blond haired, blue eyed white people with British names? Get outta here!

lol. tea sippin' light skinned folks aren't native to the middle east? getdafuckouttaheehhhhhhh!

AntoinCD
06-02-2011, 10:43 AM

What are you, some kinda hippy communist???

The Bible is 100% fact...just like Wikipedia

gsorace
06-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Reminds me of when Kareem Abdul Jabbar sued NFL player Karim Abdul-Jabbar

Prowler
06-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Good point. Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a bigger out of touch idiot than Elway or Tiki. I hope he never gets a statue.

Elway is just an idiot for thinking that threatening a band would somehow keep his squeeky front office rep clean. He can't have a bunch of slacker hooligans making music about sex, drugs, and rock n roll. Elway only has sex in missionary position and keeps his farts to himself....I can't wait for the couple generations above me to move to their old age homes.

vidae
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
How sad is it when this passes for football news during the offseason?

Elway should stop being a douche. The band isn't half bad either. They're not half GOOD, but they're not half bad..

Rabscuttle
06-03-2011, 05:34 PM
In related news, Elway's lawyers have talked to Shannon Sharpe....

Captain Canuck
06-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Because John is the only guy in the world with the last name Elway. This is beyond stupid.

Splat
06-04-2011, 11:20 AM
They should change it to "L Way".

JHL6719
06-08-2011, 12:45 PM
They should've just kept their original name to begin with. "10-4 Eleanor" is pretty sweet...

Or changed it to "10-4 Elwayanor"

JHL6719
06-08-2011, 12:48 PM
In related news, Elway's lawyers have talked to Shannon Sharpe....

Shannon Sharpe had this to say:

"BBaabbashshpttt, DBBuubbabbaleebB durpb. DaUBB bspttBub".

niel89
06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
10-4 Eleanor is a much better name. The Elway name is them just reaching for publicity.