PDA

View Full Version : Jay's 2012 Mock Draft version 2

jrdrylie
06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Free agency hasn't occurred. Trades can't be conducted. Rookies haven't been able to officially work out with their new teams. Heck, we don't even know if there will be an NFL season. So trying to predict how the season will play out is nearly impossible.

Because of this, the order of this mock is done with an NFL type lottery. Every team had a chance at the top pick, but of course teams like Carolina and Miami had a much better chance than Chicago and Indianapolis. The only alterations I made were to make the order possible (i.e. a team from every division in the playoffs). If you really want to see how I think the season will play out, check out my previous mock draft (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47346).

1. Miami Dolphins- QB Andrew Luck Stanford: Tony Sparano is basically a lame duck coach. Unless his team rallies behind him and makes a playoff run, he is gone. I don't expect that to happen. The new coach will almost certainly grab his own QB, who just happens to be the top prospect in the draft.

2. Carolina Panthers- DE Quinton Couples North Carolina: If the Panthers get the first overall pick, do they go Andrew Luck, even after spending their first pick on a QB in the previous two drafts? Luckily, they don't have that dilemma. In 2011, Fairley, Bowers, and Dareus were all potential picks, so obviously defensive line is a huge issue for this team.

3. Seattle Seahawks- QB Landy Jones Oklahoma: Many might think Carroll would go with Matt Barkley, his former quarterback. But he hasn't really shown the tendency to target former Trojans. And in my opinion, Jones is a better prospect and will be the one who will challenge Luck for the top pick.

4. Buffalo Bills- QB Matt Barkley USC: The Bills have been looking for a franchise QB since the mid '90s. In recent years, they have passed on guys like Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman, Kevin Kolb, and Blaine Gabbert. This can not continue to happen if they want to be relevant in their division.

5. San Francisco 49ers- CB Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama: Prince Amukamara was a distinct possibility in the 2011 draft. They decided to go with a pass rusher, leaving a gaping hole at corner. Luckily, they have a chance to grab a player as good or better in 2012.

6. Washington Redskins- WR Alshon Jeffery South Carolina: This is a nightmare scenario. John Beck or Rex Grossman is your quarterback but no rookie QB fits from a value perspective. Do they reach for a guy like Foles or Cousins? I doubt it. I know they drafted three receivers in 2011, but they were 3rd, 5th, and 6th round picks.

7. Philadelphia Eagles- CB Stephon Gilmore South Carolina: A little high? Possibly... but remember that Michael Vick has never led his team to consecutive playoff appearances. A lot of us thought Jimmy Smith would be in play for the Eagles in 2011. We were wrong, but I think the Eagles have to address that spot early in 2012 (assuming they don't sign Asomugha).

8. Cincinnati Bengals- RB Trent Richardson Alabama: Generally I'm not a fan of drafting running backs in the top-ten. But Richardson may have enough talent to justify a premium pick. In fact, he is pretty much a more talented Cedric Benson, who went 4th overall.

9. Detroit Lions- OT Matt Kalil USC: A lot of Detroit fans support Jeff Backus because he had a pretty good year last season. But one year does not make up for years of mediocrity. If he plays at a Pro Bowl level in 2011, I might change my tune. But until then, I still believe the Lions must do a better job protecting Stafford.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars- DE Donte Paige-Moss North Carolina: Ryan Kerrigan-to-Jacksonville seemed like a lock until Blaine Gabbert started to fall. While it's always nice to have a franchise QB, the Jaguars are still left with a gaping hole at defensive end.

11. Houston Texans- WR Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State: Houston is a difficult team to project. The Texans drafted a boat load of defensive players. And if they adjust to the NFL well, their defense will be solid. Then the biggest need would likely be a guy to take some pressure off of Andre Johnson.

12. Kansas City Chiefs- LB Vontaze Burfict Arizona State: I'm not sure how well Burfict fits into the Kansas City defense. But what I do know is that outside of an offensive lineman, Burfict is the top prospect available at this point and Kansas City fans will kill me if I mock them an offensive lineman.

13. Tennessee Titans- DT Jerel Worthy Michigan State: Nick Fairley was a possibility in the 2011 draft, but the Titans decided to go for a franchise QB. I can't say I blame them, but there is still a slight hole at that spot.

14. Arizona Cardinals- OT Jonathan Martin Stanford: If the Cardinals are picking at this spot, Kevin Kolb would likely be their QB. In that case, this pick would be the Eagles. Jonathan Martin would be a strong possibility for either team.

15. Oakland Raiders- OT Riley Reiff Iowa: I won't be able to accurately predict the Oakland pick until after the 2012 combine. But until then, I'm guessing Al Davis sees a big, athletic offensive lineman from Iowa and drafts him thinking he is a clone of Robert Gallery.

16. Dallas Cowboys- S Ray Ray Armstrong: The Cowboys might have the worst group of safeties in the league (Jacksonville might have something to say about this). A quality athlete from the U looks like a Jerry Jones pick.

17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- CB Jayron Hosley Virginia Tech: Aqib Talib is facing serious jail time. Even if he avoids a hefty judicial punishment, Tampa still might cut this headache loose. If that is the case, a replacement must be brought in.

18. San Diego Chargers- OLB Brandon Jenkins Florida State: The Chargers did spend two picks on linebackers in the 2011 draft. but I don't believe either one will provide the pass rushing ability they desperately need. Unless Larry English suddenly becomes an NFL player, San Diego really needs to address the rush backer spot.

19. Chicago Bears- WR Jeff Fuller Texas A&M: Johnny Knox is a solid receiver and excellent deep threat. Devin Hester is nice in the slot. The addition of Jeff Fuller would give the Bears a true number one receiver and a very well rounded group.

20. New England Patriots- DE Jared Crick Nebraska: The Patriots have a ton of holes in their front seven. So obviously the best idea to fix that is to wait until round six to address it. That can't happen again.

21. Denver Broncos- DT Marcus Fortson Miami: Personally, I would have picked Dareus over Miller in 2011. But it wasn't too big of a mistake. However, not picking a single defensive tackle in the entire draft was a huge mistake. Good luck stopping Ryan Mathews, Darren McFadden, and Jamaal Charles.

22. Minnseota Vikings- LB Manti Te'o Notre Dame: Depending on how free agency plays out this year and next, linebacker could either be a large strength or a huge hole for the Vikings. I'm guessing they won't be able to retain all of their free agents and they'll need at least one new linebacker.

23. St. Louis Rams- Zach Brown North Carolina: The outside linebacker position in St. Louis is very ugly. There isn't really any play makers whatsoever. In such a weak division, it may not hurt them in the regular season. But I think it will prevent them from progressing far into the playoffs.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers- LB Luke Kuechly Boston College: The linebackers for the Steelers are great. but James Farrior will be 37 at the end of the next season. It's about time to find his replacement.

25. New England Patriots from New Orleans- OLB Courtney Upshaw Alabama: More front seven help for the Patriots. More likely, they'll turn this pick into picks later in the draft and a future 1st.

26. Cleveland Browns- WR Michael Floyd Notre Dame: I really doubt the Browns make the playoffs (but crazier things have happened). But if they do, Michael Floyd would be a likely pick late in the first round.

27. New York Jets- OLB Devon Taylor South Carolina: The Jets leader in sacks had just 6 sacks last season. Their starting rush linebackers had a total of 11.5 sacks. That is the type of production they need from one player, not two.

28. Cleveland Browns from Atlanta- CB Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska: While there are bigger needs for the Browns than a number two corner, the value Dennard offers is just too much to pass up.

29. Green Bay Packers- DE Billy Winn Boise State: The Packers won the Super Bowl, so of course they don't have a bunch of needs. But end is definitely a place where they could use an upgrade.

30. Baltimore Ravens- C Michael Brewster Ohio State: Another team without any serious needs. Might as well go with the best available player.

31. New York Giants- RB LaMichael James Oregon: Brandon Jacobs is slowing down. Ahmad Bradshaw has a case of the fumbles. Time to get some new blood in there.

32. Indianapolis Colts- CB Cliff Harris Oregon: Now that the Peyton Manning protection issues are (presumably) solved, the biggest issue with the Colts is the defense. Pretty much every pick in 2012 should be spent on defense.

shylo3716
06-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Love the Gilmore pick because I have him as the #2 CB behind Kirkpatrick instead of Harris being #2

prock
06-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I dig the Te'o pick simply because he is a beast. If we could get Martin, Kalil, or Reiff, that would have to be the pick though.

saintsfan912
06-01-2011, 08:05 PM
The Browns in the playoffs? Really?

jrdrylie
06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
The Browns in the playoffs? Really?

Like I said, I did an NBA-style lottery to come up with the order. While I don't think they will actually make the playoffs, I do think they have the talent to win about 8 games. They could end up picking in th mid-teens, although I think it will more likely be around the 10-13 range.

roscoesdad27
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Brewster is a solid pick but f.s. robert lester from bama would be much better and is also bpa. This will be reeds last season imho and all we have on the roster is strong safety types

jrdrylie
06-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Brewster is a solid pick but f.s. robert lester from bama would be much better and is also bpa. This will be reeds last season imho and all we have on the roster is strong safety types

That's very true. I wasn't really thinking about Ed Reed retiring, but it is very possible. Even if he doesn't retire after next season, I can't see him playing more than 2 or 3 years. It is about time to grab his replacement.

ArkyRamsFan
06-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Don't see the Rams taking an OLB in the first round.

Coach Spags' type of defense emphasizes DE, MLB, and CBs. Therefore even though the Rams' OLBs are pretty horrific he will wait to lower rounds before filling this need.

It is noteworthy that the Rams passed on Mason Foster among others and did not draft an OLB until the 7th round.

jrdrylie
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Don't see the Rams taking an OLB in the first round.

Coach Spags' type of defense emphasizes DE, MLB, and CBs. Therefore even though the Rams' OLBs are pretty horrific he will wait to lower rounds before filling this need.

It is noteworthy that the Rams passed on Mason Foster among others and did not draft an OLB until the 7th round.

While their defense emphasizes those positions, there isn't really a great need there. At defensive end, the Rams have Chris Long, James Hall (although he is old), and unproven George Selvie, and first round pick Robert Quinn, so I doubt they go that way. At MLB, they have James Laurinaitis. I doubt they spend a first round pick on a backup middle linebacker. CB could be a possibility. Dennard or Harris would both be good picks.

T-RICH49
06-02-2011, 02:46 PM
oh how well you know how I'd react to an OL LOL

Hurricanes25
06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
At this point, the Jets biggest need is a pass rusher so good pick.

ArkyRamsFan
06-02-2011, 06:08 PM
While their defense emphasizes those positions, there isn't really a great need there. At defensive end, the Rams have Chris Long, James Hall (although he is old), and unproven George Selvie, and first round pick Robert Quinn, so I doubt they go that way. At MLB, they have James Laurinaitis. I doubt they spend a first round pick on a backup middle linebacker. CB could be a possibility. Dennard or Harris would both be good picks.

I see where you are coming from but all that tells me is that the Rams will probably go offense with their first rounder if they don't see the value at any of the premeire defensive positions.

Not saying that I totally agree with this philosophy but as we say in the Kingdom of the Ram: "In Spags we believe!!"

Pat Sims 90
06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Richardson is a good pick for the Bengals.