8) D. Hightower, Alabama (ted)

9) B. Taylor, V.T.
10) N. Johnson, Alabama

4-3 olb
1) Z. Brown, UNC (wlb)
2) N. Bradham, FSU (wlb)
3) L. Kuechly, BC

4) T. Lewis, Oklahoma
5) S. Brown, Houston (slb/r.e./v. miller role)
6) T. Carder, TCU

7) S. Skov, Stanford
8) L. David, Nebraska (wlb)
9) S. Spence, Miami (wlb)
10) D. Trevathan, Kentucky (wlb)

11) D. Fleming, ND
12) B. Irvin, (slb/re/v. miller role)

c.b.
1) D. Kirkpatrick, Alabama

2) S. Gilmore, S. Carolina (cover 2)
3) C. Minnifield, Virginia
4) A. Dennard, Nebraska
5) C. Heyward, Vanderbilt

6) J. Jenkins, N. Alabama
7) C. Judie, Texas A+M
8) G. Reid, FSU
9) D. Fletcher, BC (cover 2)
10) M. Claiborne, LSU
11) K. Tandy, WVU (cover 2)
12) C. Harris, Oregon
13) J. Hosely, V.T.
14) D. Trufant, Washington
15) B. Boykins, Georgia

f.s.
1) R. Lester, Alabama

2) T.J. McDonald, USC
3) V. Telemaque, Miami

4) E. Whitley, V.T.

5) J. Jackson, Tennessee
6) R. Hall, Clemson

s.s.
1) R. Lester, Alabama
2) R.R. Armstrong, Miami
3) K. Tate, Maryland

4) M. Barron, Alabama
5) H. Smith, ND
6) T.J. McDonald, USC

Texas Homer
06-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Nice post!

Texas Homer
06-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Not trying to argue ranking, but I think Texas has 2 really talented 4-3 OLBs in Emmanuel Acho and Keenan Robinson. I think that both Acho and Robinson have chances to get drafted fairly high too.

cajuncorey
06-11-2011, 12:24 AM
i think jared crick needs to be higher is my only concern with regards to 4-3 dt. other than that its pretty good.

GaMeTiMe
06-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Too much Burfict love going on around here. I think Kuechley and Te'o are in a class of their own above him if you're going to put it into tiers like that.

Can't wait to see how the DE/OLB guys shape out. Not sure any of us have a real grip on what position all of these guys will be best suited for, and this may be the most tweener'ish draft ever in that regard.

i think jared crick needs to be higher is my only concern with regards to 4-3 dt. other than that its pretty good.

I disagree. I think Crick will be a decent 4-3 DT prospect, but will end up a 3-4 end where he is the best prospect at the moment. I actually think he should be a little lower in the 4-3 DT rankings and think that Randall, Powell, Thompson, and Ta'amu (who isn't listed?) all have the potential to leap-frog him in the eyes of NFL scouts as a 4-3 DT.

It's funny to read J. Jenkins, N. Alabama

wicket
06-11-2011, 07:55 AM
I think Ethan Johnson is a top 10 3-4 DEnd for sure

Malaka
06-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Too much Burfict love going on around here. I think Kuechley and Te'o are in a class of their own above him if you're going to put it into tiers like that.

Can't wait to see how the DE/OLB guys shape out. Not sure any of us have a real grip on what position all of these guys will be best suited for, and this may be the most tweener'ish draft ever in that regard.

I disagree. I think Crick will be a decent 4-3 DT prospect, but will end up a 3-4 end where he is the best prospect at the moment. I actually think he should be a little lower in the 4-3 DT rankings and think that Randall, Powell, Thompson, and Ta'amu (who isn't listed?) all have the potential to leap-frog him in the eyes of NFL scouts as a 4-3 DT.

It's funny to read J. Jenkins, N. Alabama

I also think Burficit is a little overrated now. However, in terms of where he gets drafted I think he'll go before Kuechley.

Kuechley is like a James Laurinaitis LB and that's not a knock on the guy. He makes a ton of tackles, but doesn't make those huge run stuffing plays. Kuechley is not a pile jumper though, or at least he doesn't do it as badly as Laurinaitis. Kuechley is definitely a top MLB but he is still behind Teo and Burficit. I see him as a late first/early 2nd type linebacker.

Both Burficit and Teo seem more likely to go high as linebackers they just have the more upside to go along with their game. While I think Burficit may have the most potential of the three, he needs to screw his head on right because he going to miss games acting like that under Furer Goodell. He also plays a bit too out of control I'd like for him to make the solid tackle than whiff on a huge hit.

Thus, with all that being said, Teo is the most complete linebacker of the three and will probably go highest. I also think this guy, while a better fit for a 4-3, can also play in the 3-4 as an ILB. I am very happy my Giants will have a shot at all these guys next year.

roscoesdad27
06-12-2011, 08:37 AM
The reason I have Burfict, Teo and Keuchley on the same tier in the 4-3 mlb is because either could go in front of the other depending on scheme.
Te'O is best for the traditional role and for the Browns who are looking to run a version of the Ravens 2000 defense with two 330+ d.t.s up front.
Keuchley is best for a tampa or cover 2 scheme with his range and instincts...he would also do very well for the Browns.
Burfict would be best in a 4-3 for an attacking scheme like the Saints, Lions or Giants, he would struggle in the Browns scheme which requires more discipline and read/reacting which isnt elite traits of his unlike the other 2. The most ideal spot for him would be 3-4 ted where his willingness to take on and destroy blockers would be optimized, hes on a tier by himself in the 3-4....the other 2 dont like to take on blocks, Taze loves it.

in my latest ruff draft i have teo going #7 to cleveland, burfict #10 to detroit and kuechley #12 to tamp.

SF Dolphin Fan
06-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Good post. What's your take on the safeties? Is this a good group this year?

TheFinisher
06-12-2011, 11:35 AM
This is gonna be a great year for ILBs, I think you could even throw Korey Williams in the mix as a Round 2 guy.

Vzo8_M0sDh4

ToldLikeItIs
06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Missing WR McNutt, CB Prater, TE Herman, and DT Daniels.

cmarq83
06-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I also think Burficit is a little overrated now. However, in terms of where he gets drafted I think he'll go before Kuechley.

Kuechley is like a James Laurinaitis LB and that's not a knock on the guy. He makes a ton of tackles, but doesn't make those huge run stuffing plays. Kuechley is not a pile jumper though, or at least he doesn't do it as badly as Laurinaitis. Kuechley is definitely a top MLB but he is still behind Teo and Burficit. I see him as a late first/early 2nd type linebacker.

Both Burficit and Teo seem more likely to go high as linebackers they just have the more upside to go along with their game. While I think Burficit may have the most potential of the three, he needs to screw his head on right because he going to miss games acting like that under Furer Goodell. He also plays a bit too out of control I'd like for him to make the solid tackle than whiff on a huge hit.

Thus, with all that being said, Teo is the most complete linebacker of the three and will probably go highest. I also think this guy, while a better fit for a 4-3, can also play in the 3-4 as an ILB. I am very happy my Giants will have a shot at all these guys next year.

I agree with you that Burflict will probably go before Kuechly in the upcoming draft (although I'm not sure Kuechly declares, no BC player has ever declared early), but to go so far as to sat that he's a pile jumper who doesn't make huge run stopping plays simply isn't true. Full disclosure as a BC fan I've seen Kuechly make tons of impact stops usually late in games to seal them, but it's really shocking last year because nearly every press release talks about Kuechly meeting somebody in the hole on 4th and short to cause a turnover on downs late in the game.

Of course he does pile jump (There is simply no way to accumulate that many tackles without doing so), but unlike Laurinaitis or a guy like Barrett Ruud he's making them 1 or 2 yards off the los. However, that's hardly the extent of his impact. Here's a links to 2 games which are exactly what he contributes virtually every game. His consistency is amazing.

Here is him in the Bowl Game against Nevada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1g1K-wPqo&feature=related

And here is him vs. Florida State
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mi-nyM0xis&feature=related

I see him as a Zach Thomas type in the NFL. I still think Burflict will go above him because of his Rey Lewis type potential, but where they are as players right now isn't even close. Even though Kuechly isn't running through guys and making highlight reel plays he's still making far more impact running plays than Burflict.

wicket
06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Missing WR McNutt, CB Prater, TE Herman, and DT Daniels.

this post is quite facepalm-worthy

Malaka
06-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I agree with you that Burflict will probably go before Kuechly in the upcoming draft (although I'm not sure Kuechly declares, no BC player has ever declared early), but to go so far as to sat that he's a pile jumper who doesn't make huge run stopping plays simply isn't true. Full disclosure as a BC fan I've seen Kuechly make tons of impact stops usually late in games to seal them, but it's really shocking last year because nearly every press release talks about Kuechly meeting somebody in the hole on 4th and short to cause a turnover on downs late in the game.

Of course he does pile jump (There is simply no way to accumulate that many tackles without doing so), but unlike Laurinaitis or a guy like Barrett Ruud he's making them 1 or 2 yards off the los. However, that's hardly the extent of his impact. Here's a links to 2 games which are exactly what he contributes virtually every game. His consistency is amazing.

Here is him in the Bowl Game against Nevada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1g1K-wPqo&feature=related

And here is him vs. Florida State
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mi-nyM0xis&feature=related

I see him as a Zach Thomas type in the NFL. I still think Burflict will go above him because of his Rey Lewis type potential, but where they are as players right now isn't even close. Even though Kuechly isn't running through guys and making highlight reel plays he's still making far more impact running plays than Burflict.

I never accused him of being a pile jumper on the same level as Laurinaitis or Rudd. I compared him to Laurinaitis because of the similarities in their game and on the stat sheet, but Kuechly just isn't as bad as the other two.

He is an excellent player and I believe he'd be a perfect fit for the Giants, but he does not have the potential impact that Burficit and Teo do. He is a model of consistency in tackling, and he is extremely solid, in my opinion, with out a doubt, a better player and prospect than Laurinaitis who was a 2nd rounder. He will definitely be a first rounder but more likely a late first rounder if he comes out this year.

He does make an impact, but I'd like to see him become a bit more aggresive as well as stronger so he can be an accountable thumper up the middle. Kuechly might have a lower ceiling than the other two guys, but he has a very high floor. I think he will definitely make for a solid if not borderline All-Pro 4-3 MLB in the NFL.

cmarq83
06-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I never accused him of being a pile jumper on the same level as Laurinaitis or Rudd. I compared him to Laurinaitis because of the similarities in their game and on the stat sheet, but Kuechly just isn't as bad as the other two.

He is an excellent player and I believe he'd be a perfect fit for the Giants, but he does not have the potential impact that Burficit and Teo do. He is a model of consistency in tackling, and he is extremely solid, in my opinion, with out a doubt, a better player and prospect than Laurinaitis who was a 2nd rounder. He will definitely be a first rounder but more likely a late first rounder if he comes out this year.

He does make an impact, but I'd like to see him become a bit more aggresive as well as stronger so he can be an accountable thumper up the middle. Kuechly might have a lower ceiling than the other two guys, but he has a very high floor. I think he will definitely make for a solid if not borderline All-Pro 4-3 MLB in the NFL.

I misread your first comment, my mistake. I really like Te'o too I could very easily see him becoming a stud in the NFL. I'm not so crazy about Burflict and don't quite understand the multitude of mancrushes right now. He has physical talent, but he is so far off where he needs to be right now to realize that talent, I'm not sure he'll ever get there.

I think Kuechly's upside is more limited than the other 2, but if a defense is looking to make the step from average to good he's the man to take. I'd like to see a team like Jacksonville take him so that he could clean up behind Alualu and Knighton for a decade or so. If he has room to run clear from sideline to sideline he's virtually unstoppable because his instincts are phenomenal. He does need to put on more weight though to hold up in a 3-4.

ToldLikeItIs
06-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Wicket you sure are a douche.

niel89
06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah Wicket, the best defense is clearly the Iowa offense.

JHL6719
06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
this post is quite facepalm-worthy

Iowa fans are just creepy. Always have been.

ChiFan24
06-16-2011, 04:22 AM
I think Ethan Johnson is a top 10 3-4 DEnd for sure

Ehhh.....why? He barely makes an impact in a college 3-4. He's the definition of
training camp fodder.

Anyway, best rankings I've seen so far.

ellsy82
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Not a bad post for a Ravens fan. The thing about this draft that I love the most, is the flexibility of a ton of the guys that will be coming out. Even the underclassmen. A lot of 34DE/43UT type guys. Even guys that could play both 34NT/43NT and 34DE/43DE. Then you look the TEs, and there's a lot of receiving threats mixed with a bunch of halfback talent. That goes a long with a lot of 3rd down backs coming out. OT/OG tweeners. OG/C tweeners. Corners have a lot of size and you have to wonder if they could transition to free safety. And then there's a ton of 43DEs that could easily switch to OLBs in a 34 front. And with most of the league heading that way...I suppose its a good thing.

roscoesdad27
06-25-2011, 05:41 AM
tweaked + 3-4 n.t's added

TheFinisher
06-26-2011, 08:19 AM
I'd add Bruce Irvin in there for 3-4 OLB, he's got dimensions similar to Von Miller. He racked up 14 sacks only playing on 3rd downs last season but will be a full time starter this year. Very explosive off the edge.

Plus if you noticed my sig I'm gonna be pimping him hard this year :)

6leAL3eK9jo

roscoesdad27
06-26-2011, 08:45 AM
I love Irvin as a pure pass rusher but I dont think he can set the edge as an 3-4 olb and would be a huge weakness in the running game. I think his best fit would be as a blitzing 4-3 olb that shifts down to r.e. in 3rd and long situations, I have him 12th ranked 4-3 olb if you didnt notice. Miller will do this for Denver, Orakpo did this as a rookie for Washington and Wimbley currently does it for Oakland. This could become a hot position, utilizing undersized college 3-4 olb's, Sammy Brown is another to watch for and better for this role than 3-4 olb.

etk
06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
I'd add Bruce Irvin in there for 3-4 OLB, he's got dimensions similar to Von Miller. He racked up 14 sacks only playing on 3rd downs last season but will be a full time starter this year. Very explosive off the edge.

Plus if you noticed my sig I'm gonna be pimping him hard this year :)

6leAL3eK9jo

Irvin has elite burst off the edge AND runs the arc well. top 20 pick, no doubt. He's a better pure pass rusher than anyone from the 2011 draft, except maybe Miller.

I think Irvin can cut it against the run. He showed he can uncoil and strike blockers with power. He has good strength and gets maximum use out of his small frame.

roscoesdad27
06-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Irvin has elite burst off the edge AND runs the arc well. top 20 pick, no doubt. He's a better pure pass rusher than anyone from the 2011 draft, except maybe Miller.

I think Irvin can cut it against the run. He showed he can uncoil and strike blockers with power. He has good strength and gets maximum use out of his small frame.

I like his upside as a pass rusher but those blockers he was "striking" were on their heels in pass protection. Theres gotta be a reason he didnt start and played almost exclusively in passing situations. My hunch is either he struggles at the poa against the run and/or he lacks instincts. If he adds some weight and proves he can hold up against the run then he could be a 3-4 olb in the NFL. As of right now I like him better as a Von Miller type 4-3 olb/re hybrid where he wouldnt have to gain weight, he has to prove his instincts are good enough first and foremost for this role thou.......he's starting this year.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
06-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Dont sleep on Kenny Tate, he wil be an NFL FS. He is only play S/OLD rover to help the Terps because we lost 4 LB;s. He is a Freak of nature at 6'4 220 he is going to be the #1 safety in the NFL . and Destroy the combine when be puts on a show for the NFL coaches there. He is a VERY unselfish player and is only playing rover because the Terps lost 4 LB , 2 were starters.

wicket
07-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Ehhh.....why? He barely makes an impact in a college 3-4. He's the definition of
training camp fodder.

Anyway, best rankings I've seen so far.

because he makes a huge impact on the field, best DLineman for ND three years straight now

wicket
07-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Wicket you sure are a douche.

you mean autoposting fthe four iowa players you think can be drafted in any ranking post even though this one is just defense is not the douchy part

ChiFan24
07-01-2011, 12:33 AM
because he makes a huge impact on the field, best DLineman for ND three years straight now

I think you're exaggerating....he's had Ian Williams to compete with, and it's arguable which of the two was better. Can you honestly see Ethan Johnson making any sort of impact in the NFL?

wicket
07-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I think you're exaggerating....he's had Ian Williams to compete with, and it's arguable which of the two was better. Can you honestly see Ethan Johnson making any sort of impact in the NFL?

he was easily better than ian williams imo. I think he wont be a stud in the NLF but a 3-4 team will get a 10 year starter with him imo.

kwilk103
07-01-2011, 02:35 PM
I like his upside as a pass rusher but those blockers he was "striking" were on their heels in pass protection. Theres gotta be a reason he didnt start and played almost exclusively in passing situations. My hunch is either he struggles at the poa against the run and/or he lacks instincts. If he adds some weight and proves he can hold up against the run then he could be a 3-4 olb in the NFL. As of right now I like him better as a Von Miller type 4-3 olb/re hybrid where he wouldnt have to gain weight, he has to prove his instincts are good enough first and foremost for this role thou.......he's starting this year.

hes only been playing defense for 3 years

he was originally a safety but didnt know the position well, so his juco coach put him at de and basically told him to get the qb

he came to wvu very raw; our dl coach said when he got here he had no idea how to play against the run, but was one of the best hes coached at rushing the qb

pretty much during the spring he worked on playing against the run and will play all 3 downs this year

etk
07-02-2011, 10:48 AM
he was easily better than ian williams imo. I think he wont be a stud in the NLF but a 3-4 team will get a 10 year starter with him imo.

I haven't scouted him yet but you do realize how rare it is to be a 10 year starter in the NFL, right?

wicket
07-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I haven't scouted him yet but you do realize how rare it is to be a 10 year starter in the NFL, right?

I do, he is just a really safe prospect

ellsy82
07-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I do, he is just a really safe prospect

I'm a spoiled Steeler fan, but I really think that it depends on the division you're in what type of NT you should draft (if you have a 34 front d).

wicket
07-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm a spoiled Steeler fan, but I really think that it depends on the division you're in what type of NT you should draft (if you have a 34 front d).

I agree with that but Ethan Johnson is a 34 DEnd

ellsy82
07-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I agree with that but Ethan Johnson is a 34 DEnd

Well, he's strong at the point of attack, but I agree that even on the weakest 34 front, he'd be a liability as a nose tackle at the pro level. Can't disagree with ya there.