PDA

View Full Version : % nfl teams willing relocate to L.A.

Canadian_draft_fan
06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/five-nfl-teams-willing-to-relocate-to-los-angeles/article2055920/

Interesting list. Oakland, AGAIN!!!????
Not sure if any of them will move but if I had to pick one it would Jacksonville (possibly Minny if their new stadium deal doesn't go thru).

KCJ58
06-10-2011, 02:18 PM
The Vikings are coming to L.A. it's almost 100% guaranteed that they do, every1 out here already knows it

Shane P. Hallam
06-10-2011, 02:21 PM
It looks more likely the Vikings will get that new stadium actually...

diabsoule
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
St. Louis wants to move BACK to L.A.? The sports scene is becoming more and more like what happened in the beginning of Baseketball

wordofi
06-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Somebody needs to move to Los Angeles. It's common sense.

Splat
06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Somebody needs to move to Los Angeles. It's common sense.

total common sense. i mean, look at their long history of incredible support for nfl franchises located there. none of them have moved away multiple times. it's clearly a pro football town, and the only things we need to consider are 'there are lots of people there' and 'there's no team there'.

Thread.....

jrdrylie
06-10-2011, 04:40 PM
It won't be Jacksonville. Wayne Weaver refuses to move the team anywhere. And he isn't planning on selling. The earliest they would even think about movine is at least 5-7 years from now. There will be a team relocated before then.

Bucs_Rule
06-10-2011, 07:12 PM
It won't be Jacksonville. Wayne Weaver refuses to move the team anywhere. And he isn't planning on selling. The earliest they would even think about movine is at least 5-7 years from now. There will be a team relocated before then.

In 7 years a team could relocate to LA, get little fan support and relocate away again. Then in a couple years the NFL will talk again about moving a team to LA.

Finz99
06-10-2011, 10:46 PM
total common sense. i mean, look at their long history of incredible support for nfl franchises located there. none of them have moved away multiple times. it's clearly a pro football town, and the only things we need to consider are 'there are lots of people there' and 'there's no team there'.

Seriously, just look at how bandwagon USC fans are. During their prime the stadium couldn't support the amount of people that wanted to go, and now they can barely fill half the stadium. If you put a winner in there, that goes deep in the playoffs, they will make a solid profit. If you put a team in there that goes 7-9 and misses the playoffs, good luck finding a fan base.

keylime_5
06-11-2011, 09:58 AM
screw LA, they had their chance twice. there's a reason the NFL isn't there. there are plenty of Cali teams as it is anyhow.

umphrey
06-11-2011, 11:59 AM
That would suck if the Vikings left the division. I would be excited if the STL Rams were a new division rival though.

The Dynasty
06-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I hope its either Oakland/San Diego/St. Louis and the reason why i hope for those 3 teams are because it wouldn't cause a whole realignment change. If the Vikings move to L.A. they will have to change some of the divisions and also it would be horrible to think no more Vikings vs Packers or Vikings vs Bears. But if one of those 3 teams.. they could easily stay in their own division since they are all in the west already and no rivalries would be lost.

prock
06-11-2011, 03:06 PM
The Vikings are coming to L.A. it's almost 100% guaranteed that they do, every1 out here already knows it

Oh really? 100% guaranteed? How do you know this? If you read just about anywhere, you will find quite the opposite. Looks like "every1" out there is going to be disappointed.

I agree with keylime, screw LA, they had their chance. They blew it twice.

ImBrotherCain
06-11-2011, 04:20 PM
That would suck if the Vikings left the division. I would be excited if the STL Rams were a new division rival though.

To keep the conferences even someone from the AFC would have to come to the NFC.

Philliez01
06-11-2011, 04:30 PM
To keep the conferences even someone from the AFC would have to come to the NFC.

Or we can just call them the Los Angeles Vikings of Minnesota

soybean
06-11-2011, 07:24 PM
We don't need anymore traffic on these freeways. I was stuck on the freeway for 2.5 hours yesterday.

I guess it all depends on ticket prices. Dodger Stadium (up until this year) had pretty decent attendance and so do the Angels.

A lot of that are the Mexican-Americans that go to the games.

Borat
06-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Holy facepalm Batman. This post contains no truth whatsoever.

Monomach
06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
You guys are acting like LA lost its teams because no one went to the games. That's just not true.

Oakland won the Raiders back from LA by pouring 220 million into the stadium and renting it to Al for almost nothing. LA refused to build the luxury suites they promised to get the Raiders in the first place.

The Rams left LA for Anaheim for a nicer stadium. They left Anaheim for St. Louis because they were promised a brand new stadium and no city in Southern California matched that.

The only attendance problem LA had was that the stadium has a ridiculous 100k seats. That's pretty hard to sell out. Nowadays, teams block off the ****** seats in that situation to reduce capacity and prevent blackouts.

Both the Rams and the Raiders had no attendance problems in LA. They left LA for the same reason that teams always leave: shiny new digs.

AEG has fixed the only problem LA ever had with football by offering to build a state-of-the-art gajillion dollar football palace/paradise/playground. The next team to move to LA will be there until after we're all dead.

doingthisinsteadofwork
06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Both the Rams and the Raiders had no attendance problems in LA. They left LA for the same reason that teams always leave: shiny new digs. You think the Colliseum is a shiny new dig? It's a shithole. Oakland needs a new stadium much more badly than LA. If LA didn't have attendance problems than the amount of money that AL could have made long term would certainly have been more than he's made at Oakland.

AEG has fixed the only problem LA ever had with football by offering to build a state-of-the-art gajillion dollar football palace/paradise/playground. The next team to move to LA will be there until after we're all dead.Just like how the Chargers,Rams, and Raiders lasted so long there.

As for the Raiders every year there's rumours that they'll move back to LA, but theres never been any hard evidence. If anything theres been no proof that Al has shown any interest in going back to LA.

OzTitan
06-13-2011, 03:58 AM
Seriously, just look at how bandwagon USC fans are. During their prime the stadium couldn't support the amount of people that wanted to go, and now they can barely fill half the stadium. If you put a winner in there, that goes deep in the playoffs, they will make a solid profit. If you put a team in there that goes 7-9 and misses the playoffs, good luck finding a fan base.

So look out for a new referee favored team coming to LA, basically.

vikes_28
06-13-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm guessing it will be the Chargers or the Rams. I don't think the NFL would let one of its best rivalries get lost because one of the teams moves to LA. I saw an article that said that the NFL badly wants to keep the Vikings in Minnesota.

Iamcanadian
06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd say any team in need of a new stadium is a serious threat to move. If LA builds a new stadium, many owners will be interested in moving.

The only reason LA failed as a football town was the lack of a professional stadium. You cannot expect fans paying top money for a seat to accept a third rate stadium as their venue.

San Diego Chicken
06-15-2011, 05:54 PM
no, you're wrong. people abandoned the **** out of the raiders then they were 7-9 to 9-7 their last few years.

and because people stopped going to the games. if no one will buy your luxury boxes, why bother building them?

honestly, what were, in your opinion, the raiders and rams attendance figures, the last few years each team was in LA, as compared to their attendance figures in STL and oakland?

and further, why do you think the worst sports town in the nation would bother supporting anything other than a perennial winner?

Raiders/Rams game attendance was never great in LA, but looking at the current figures and those franchises are still waning at the bottom of the NFL in attendance in new cities.

Monomach is right, attendance isn't why any of the teams relocated in the 90's left. They all had stadium issues, attendance figures are hardly the problem. Not sure if this info is common knowledge or not, but ticket revenues are split up evenly by the NFL's revenue sharing system. However, corporate/luxury boxes are exempt from revenue sharing, so it's easy to see why it's so important to owners.

Yeah, LA doesn't have very many hardcore sports fans... but they have more corporate types and gajillionaires willing to buy suites than almost any city out there. And that's why LA will keep their team this time around. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they've (AEG) received down payments for the luxury boxes already, even though ground hasn't been broken and there's no team. These are very smart businessmen. They're not spending a billion dollars in a weak economy unless they think they can make serious money.

OSUGiants17
06-15-2011, 05:58 PM
If the Vikings go to LA, would the Rams move to the NFC North and Vikings to the NFC West?

San Diego Chicken
06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
You think the Colliseum is a shiny new dig? It's a shithole. Oakland needs a new stadium much more badly than LA. If LA didn't have attendance problems than the amount of money that AL could have made long term would certainly have been more than he's made at Oakland.

Just like how the Chargers,Rams, and Raiders lasted so long there.

As for the Raiders every year there's rumours that they'll move back to LA, but theres never been any hard evidence. If anything theres been no proof that Al has shown any interest in going back to LA.

Oakland is a dump, but you're wrong about the money. Because of the luxury suites they added for him, he's probably made tens, maybe hundreds of millions more than he would have by staying in the LA coliseum. It wouldn't have really mattered if 100,000 fans were at the game or 10,000... because that money is all split evenly among all the teams anyway.

Tom Servo
06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm guessing it will be the Chargers or the Rams. I don't think the NFL would let one of its best rivalries get lost because one of the teams moves to LA. I saw an article that said that the NFL badly wants to keep the Vikings in Minnesota.

Cleveland fans might question this statement