PDA

View Full Version : Worst sports franchise in any sport is...

LonghornsLegend
06-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Cincinnati Bengals.

The Cincinnati Bengals were rated the worst sports franchise in ESPN The Magazine's annual rankings.

In all, 122 professional teams were rated in numerous categories such as players, fan relations and affordability. The Bengals brought up the rear out of all the teams from the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball.

"The best teams in sports find ways to reward their fans' devotion," ESPN The Magazine editor Peter Keating said in a statement. "The teams at the top of our Ultimate Standings are winners on the field, but, as we write in the magazine, they’re truly notable for returning fans' love."

For the past 20 years, there has been little reward for being a Bengals fan.

Recently, we interviewed one Cincinnati fan who grew tired of the losing and gave up his allegiance to join Steeler Nation. Another more famous Bengals fan, Nick Lachey, also expressed his displeasure with the organization to the AFC North blog.

Cincinnati hasn't won a playoff game in two decades, doesn't put enough money into its product and ownership continues to make head-scratching decisions. The Bengals' franchise player -- quarterback Carson Palmer -- recently quit on the team, which only adds to its awful reputation.

cont'd...
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

I figured they would rank up there in the NFL, but in every sport? Way to go Mike Brown.

Pat Sims 90
06-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Not surpriseing Mike Brown has run the Team into the ground and is the cheapest owner in sports. As long as he is making Money he does not care what kind of product he puts on the field.

Bengalsrocket
06-16-2011, 01:11 AM
I don't see how it's less rewarding to be a Bengals fan over a Lions, Browns, Clippers, Pirates or any other terrible franchise. Also, I don't think Palmer leaving has anything to do with this. Palmer hasn't played on a high level for years and it's refreshing to see the high possibility that he won't be playing here next year.

And no I'm not bitter. If you're going to make a list like this, I think it's fair to put the Bengals on the bottom. I just don't see how you can logically rank the very bottom franchises (or the very top even).

Ness
06-16-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm surprised the Raiders didn't take the cake. Of course they have had success in the past with Al Davis. But yeah, Mike Brown is a terrible owner. Just terrible.

prock
06-16-2011, 03:42 AM
I don't see how it's less rewarding to be a Bengals fan over a Lions, Browns, Clippers, Pirates or any other terrible franchise. Also, I don't think Palmer leaving has anything to do with this. Palmer hasn't played on a high level for years and it's refreshing to see the high possibility that he won't be playing here next year.

And no I'm not bitter. If you're going to make a list like this, I think it's fair to put the Bengals on the bottom. I just don't see how you can logically rank the very bottom franchises (or the very top even).

On many factors, as described in the article. I see how you can logically rank the very bottom franchises.

PACKmanN
06-16-2011, 03:56 AM
Not surpriseing Mike Brown has run the Team into the ground and is the cheapest owner in sports. As long as he is making Money he does not care what kind of product he puts on the field.

how cheap could he be since he has spent money on free agents and resgining players...

descendency
06-16-2011, 04:53 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/19/team-by-team-salary-cap-numbers-if-there-were-a-salary-cap/

jrdrylie
06-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't see how the Pirates aren't the worst franchise in sports. They haven't had a winning season since 1992. The Bengals aren't much better, having only two winning seasons since then. But at least they have made the playoffs.

At least the Bengals have had some players fans can get excited about. Carson Palmer, Rudi Johnson, Chad Johnson, and Correy Dillon to name a few. Everytime a good player comes up for the Pirates, they trade him away for a bunch of prospects. When those prospects finally make it to the big leagues, they trade them. It's a continual cycle of crap.

The ineptitude of the Pirates can best be summed up by the fact that people are celebrating being at .500 because it's the latest in the season they had been at or above .500 in over a decade. Celebrating mediocrity is a sure sign that your team will never challenge for a championship.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
06-16-2011, 08:31 AM
The difference between Bengals and Lions is Brown is cheap and Ford is not. The Fords will spend money and built a great new stadium. The problem is Ford has been loyal in the past to terrible GMS, most recently Millen. Brown is also more meddlesome than Ford in football personnel, although Ford has been meddlesome at times(Joey Harrington). Since Lions last championship in 1957 pre Millen Lions had 18 winning and two .500 seasons making the playoffs only 9 times though. 6 of those 9 playoffs came in the 1990s. 23 losing seasons since 1957 before Millen. Then Millen came along and we had 8 losing seasons under Millen and 2 losing seasons trying to clean up Millens mess. Mayhew seems to be fixing things and making the Lions more than competive again. I hope that GM loyalty continues with Mayhew and the Lions become what they were in the 90s. Almost a perennial playoff team. Barry was huge for that in the 90s but they had other pieces as well, just not QB. This time I hope we do it with a complete team which is what seems to be being built.

LonghornsLegend
06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't see how the Pirates aren't the worst franchise in sports. They haven't had a winning season since 1992. The Bengals aren't much better, having only two winning seasons since then. But at least they have made the playoffs.

At least the Bengals have had some players fans can get excited about. Carson Palmer, Rudi Johnson, Chad Johnson, and Correy Dillon to name a few. Everytime a good player comes up for the Pirates, they trade him away for a bunch of prospects. When those prospects finally make it to the big leagues, they trade them. It's a continual cycle of crap.

The ineptitude of the Pirates can best be summed up by the fact that people are celebrating being at .500 because it's the latest in the season they had been at or above .500 in over a decade. Celebrating mediocrity is a sure sign that your team will never challenge for a championship.

I agree with all of this. I couldn't find the actual rankings, maybe because it's in the ESPN magazine and they didn't want to print it. The Pirates though have done exactly what you said though, it's pretty pathetic.

Also the fact that they are in a city that absolutely loves their sports teams, but they haven't even been close to putting out a decent product there.

For the Bengals I thought this was pretty interesting:

Prior to the draft, there was an effort by New Orleans Saints' head coach Mike Ditka and management to get the Bengals' high draft position so the Saints could get Ricky Williams. The final offer, which was refused by Bengals management, was for nine draft picks, several extra in that year as well as many the next year. Instead of taking the trade, the Bengals stayed with their initial decision to draft Akili Smith, who, while athletic, (he had also played two years of minor-league baseball and ran a 4.66 40-yard dash[2]) was still largely unproven, having only succeeded at the college level for one season.

Smith missed large periods of 1999 training camp due to contract disputes; many pundits[who?] later speculated that his absence from this part of training camp hurt him in the seasons to come[citation needed]. Despite showing athleticism in his early games, he failed to grasp the Bengals playbook fully, and never established himself with the team. During the four years he was with the Bengals, he would only start in 17 games, eventually leading to his release in 2002.

Found that from wiki and never knew that.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
06-16-2011, 08:58 AM
I agree Pirates should be the worst. Mainly because its baseball not a football franchise. Football is at least exciting even when you lose. Losing the majority of 162 games every year, has to be torture. Plus you have a draft that can turn things around and salary floor so you do have to spend some money in free agency. Baseball draft is too hit or miss compared to a football draft plus they don't have to sign anyone and can trade away anyone. Pittsburgh Prospects are the worst though showing some signs of life this year.

Splat
06-16-2011, 09:21 AM
KC Royals.

Monomach
06-16-2011, 11:48 AM
KC Royals.

Nah. The Royals scout and draft well, at least. They just don't have the money to keep their Jermaine Dye/Johnny Damon/Carlos Beltran types when free agency hits.

EricCartmann
06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
How do you reward fans? If they are talking about "wins" as a rewards, there are much worse than the Bengals.

keylime_5
06-16-2011, 12:22 PM
eh, the bengals have won division titles and been to the playoffs numerous times this past decade, and went to two super bowls in the 80s. they are pretty bad of a franchise, but not the worst in sports certainly, probably not the worst in the nfl. How about the Lions, when's their last division title, playoff win, playoff bert even? they went 0-16 a couple years ago.

jrdrylie
06-16-2011, 12:40 PM
eh, the bengals have won division titles and been to the playoffs numerous times this past decade, and went to two super bowls in the 80s. they are pretty bad of a franchise, but not the worst in sports certainly, probably not the worst in the nfl. How about the Lions, when's their last division title, playoff win, playoff bert even? they went 0-16 a couple years ago.

I think "numerous times" is stretching it a bit. In the last decade, they've made the playoffs twice. Between the years of 1991 and 2004, they did not have a playoff appearance or winning season. If you want to call that numerous, go ahead. I would more likely call that sporadic playoff appearances.

SativaDominant
06-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Donald Sterling/Clippers or GTFO. They've gotten lucky with a couple of draft picks, but make no mistake. It will get ****** up somehow.

http://deadspin.com/5398936/donald-sterling-continues-to-get-away-with-being-the-most-evil-man-in-sports

vidae
06-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Nah. The Royals scout and draft well, at least. They just don't have the money to keep their Jermaine Dye/Johnny Damon/Carlos Beltran types when free agency hits.

They have money, they just don't spend it.

yodabear
06-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Miami Heat should be #122! A derk a derk!

keylime_5
06-16-2011, 01:19 PM
I think "numerous times" is stretching it a bit. In the last decade, they've made the playoffs twice. Between the years of 1991 and 2004, they did not have a playoff appearance or winning season. If you want to call that numerous, go ahead. I would more likely call that sporadic playoff appearances.

yes, but they've been at least .500 5 or 6 times this past decade, won two division titles, and really have only had like 2 awful seasons under Marvin Lewis. Hardly the worst franchise in sports, arguable for football, but to say all of sports is an exaggeration.

LonghornsLegend
06-16-2011, 01:21 PM
yes, but they've been at least .500 5 or 6 times this past decade, won two division titles, and really have only had like 2 awful seasons under Marvin Lewis. Hardly the worst franchise in sports, arguable for football, but to say all of sports is an exaggeration.

You do know "worst franchise in sports" doesn't just take into account wins and losses?

jrdrylie
06-16-2011, 01:50 PM

I agree. I don't think they are the worst franchise in all of sports. They are one of the worst three in the NFL, along with Detroit and Buffalo.

You do know "worst franchise in sports" doesn't just take into account wins and losses?

While it's true that "worst franchise in sports" takes other things into account other than wins and loses, how good the team is does play a part. It seems that one of the reasons the Bengals are ranked so low is that they don't spend money. Well a lot of teams don't spend money and the Bengals have had more success on the field (although not by much).

Monomach
06-16-2011, 02:00 PM
They have money, they just don't spend it.

They really don't. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance) The Royals have mostly had dogcrap attendance numbers since 1994. The last time they managed to equal the AL average was 1990. The team is definitely on the upswing, but people in KC are still staying away.

For a team to make money in baseball, they have to fill seats (99% of high-payroll teams), have a decent TV contract (the same 99% of high-payroll teams), or be lucky enough to have a logo/color scheme with widespread gangbanger appeal (White Sox).

No revenue sharing, so...Royals got nuthin'. Hate to say it, but the Royals have no fans. George Brett retiring and the worst work stoppage in the history of pro sports both happening within a two year period killed that team's support, and therefore, their chances of ever winning it back. It's a cycle. No one comes to the games, so they can only afford to field teams of not-yet-prime youngsters and bad free agents no one else wanted. Their teams suck, so no one buys tickets...and on and on and on.

This is why people talk about contracting them every once in a while. They basically have no shot of ever being relevant again unless they manage to draft a Ken Griffey, Jr. kind of guy who is one of the best in the game right away and puts enough asses in the stands to pay for a supporting cast.

Pat Sims 90
06-16-2011, 02:05 PM
how cheap could he be since he has spent money on free agents and resgining players...

By cheap i am not talking about throwing money at players i am talking about being a greedy bastard. Hamilton County built the Paul Brown Stadium for him and Mike Brown bascially refushes to put any money into it at all he expects the fans to pay for it. He also refushes to build a indoor practice facility because he would have to pay for out of his own pocket. Fans have put more money into that team then Mike Brown has and we have no say in what goes on with the team.

Mike Brown also has the money he is always in the top 10 of highest salary every year for NFL Owners.

Ness
06-16-2011, 02:11 PM

And I think the Lions made a bunch of playoff appearances in the 90's. At least six or seven. They always got killed, but they at least got there. Bengals have gone twice in the last twenty or so years I think.

EvilNixon
06-16-2011, 02:47 PM
http://www.nba.com/warriors/photos/LogoPrimary_300x329.jpg

Iamcanadian
06-16-2011, 03:45 PM
The Bengals ownership is terrible but as a franchise goes, they aren't close to being the worst.
Pittsburgh Pirates and the LA Clippers supersede them by quite a margin and 3 other football teams are even worst than the Bengals. The Lions, the Browns and the pitiful Bills. The Lions are on the rise and soon won't make this list.
As for the cheapest owner in professional football, nobody compares to Ralph Wilson.
I could name 10 baseball teams to the list since they all act as the minor leagues to the richer franchises but what's the point.
A special place should be taken by Lerner, the Brown's owner, who will soon pass a # of owners as one of the worst, he just hasn't been around long enough to deserve the award.
In hockey, the New York Islanders are in a league of their own although there may possibly be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
06-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Interesting Benglas have 19 winning or .500 seasons and 22 losing seasons. But the tide swung when Paul Brown died and Mike Brown his son took over, in 1991(when the Bengals started sucking). Since then the Benglas have been terrible except for 2 good playoff years(05 and 09) and 3 mediocre .500 years. Now the franchise QB of those playoff years wants out. Paul Brown is too meddlesome in football operations and won't replenish a stadium that was built by the city of Cincinatti.

Bengals in the 70s and 80s were good under Paul Brown who was a good owner and a legend around the league. His son Mike is cheap, meddlesome, and won't make the stadium nicer. Lions are in better shape than the Bengals as the Fords are staying out of things and Millen is gone. Plus they have an awesome stadium.

Thecollegedropout
06-16-2011, 10:52 PM

Marlins do the exact same thing pretty much but unlike the Pirates, they strike big on their prospect returns(Minus the Miggy Cabrera deal)

The Pirates sold high on McLouth and got good pieces back like a Charlie Morton. Bay was gonna get overpaid regardless and while that trade didn't work, Bay was going to be gone in 1 1/2 years regardless.

Anyway, I would put the Blue Jackets as the worst team from Ohio, and quite possibly of all sports. 0 playoff wins since they have come into the NHL in 2000 and 1 playoff appearance until they went back into irrelevance. Them and the Texans have been huge disappointments though the Texans each year look on paper to be somewhat of a decent team.

nepg
06-16-2011, 11:07 PM
No mention of the Florida Panthers?

LA Clippers, Carolina Panthers (a few good seasons mixed into many NFL record low seasons), Jacksonville Jaguars, Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos, Arizona Cardinals (yeah, they had a Super Bowl appearance recently...giving them half the number the Bengals have).

wordofi
06-16-2011, 11:51 PM

I'd have to agree with you. It's not like the city of Pittsburgh is broke either.

phlysac
06-17-2011, 04:13 PM

A good portion of the fanbase is, indeed, "celebrating" their recent stint above .500. However, how does the mood of a fanbase determine success of a franchise on-the-field?

If the players were celebrating their mediocrity I'd understand but I see no problem with a fanbase seeing marked improvement in their favorite team's play and celebrating that improvement.

I'd have to agree with you. It's not like the city of Pittsburgh is broke either.

I'm not sure how the city's budget has anything to do with the revenue of a sports franchise and/or the willingness of its owner to open his pockets.

Rabscuttle
06-17-2011, 06:05 PM
You just know Brown is one of the douchebags resisting the deal. No deal will be good enough for this asshole who's only qualification as an owner was being squirted from his old man.

phlysac
06-17-2011, 06:22 PM
who's only qualification as an owner was being squirted from his old man.

Unfortunately that can be said of a high percentage of upperclass wealth in this country.

2 Live Crew
06-18-2011, 10:43 AM
LA Clippers hands down