PDA

View Full Version : Is Kuechly Really a 1st Rounder?

ellsy82
06-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Been watching a lot of this kid play. NFL contributor for sure. I'm not sure if I'd spend a first round pick on him tho, even if my team was hungry for an inside linebacker. Fringe first rounder to these eyes...but obviously there's a lot of football to be played before I make a final decision. What're your thoughts?

Here's a good high quality highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK6qOpXFuIc

K Train
06-16-2011, 09:21 AM
probably a first round talent (unless he gets ewings sarcoma, then he'll go undrafted), but will probably slip into the second like guys like lauranitis, maualuga, poz...ect

vontaze and teo are too good, i cant see 3 MLBs going in the first

Matthew Jones
06-16-2011, 09:24 AM
probably a first round talent (unless he gets ewings sarcoma, then he'll go undrafted), but will probably slip into the second like guys like lauranitis, maualuga, poz...ect

vontaze and teo are too good, i cant see 3 MLBs going in the first

To be fair, Mark Herzlich did not play at a first round level when he came back, or even remotely close to one. More like a late rounder, and then he murdered his stock by running in the 4.9s at the combine. He's a fiery competitor and that's why people like him, but at this point everyone is just evaluating him based on his personal character and not based on his play on the field.

Staying on topic...yeah, I could see Kuechly going in the second like K Train said...he's probably on Laurinaitis' level or so. That said, I had Laurinaitis ranked as around my #10-12 prospect that year.

ellsy82
06-16-2011, 09:29 AM
To be fair, Mark Herzlich did not play at a first round level when he came back, or even remotely close to one. More like a late rounder, and then he murdered his stock by running in the 4.9s at the combine. He's a fiery competitor and that's why people like him, but at this point everyone is just evaluating him based on his personal character and not based on his play on the field.

Staying on topic...yeah, I could see Kuechly going in the second like K Train said...he's probably on Laurinaitis' level or so. That said, I had Laurinaitis ranked as around my #10-12 prospect that year.

I think we all had Laurinaitis rated high. I think he was underdrafted, tbh. Like K-Train said, how can three ILBs go in the first. The thing is, Teo could be viewed as an OLB in a 43 front, so it could go either way. I could see a team like the Ratbirds, Eagles, Saints, or even the Steelers taking him late in the first...but I'd rather spend that premium of a pick on a starter.

OSUGiants17
06-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Kuechly is a tackling machine and is on par with Te'o. Burfict might scare people. There are plenty of teams in need of a LB and all 3 of these guys will go round 1.

ellsy82
06-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Kuechly is a tackling machine and is on par with Te'o. Burfict might scare people. There are plenty of teams in need of a LB and all 3 of these guys will go round 1.

Where does Tank Carder go? Some have him rated higher than Kuechly.

OSUGiants17
06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Where does Tank Carder go? Some have him rated higher than Kuechly.

Carder had a very impressive Rose Bowl performance and if he keeps it up he will be mentioned with Kuechly and Te'o, but if he reverts back to how he was in the regular season he is a mid 2nd rounder.

shylo3716
06-16-2011, 10:27 AM
I did the Ponder thread like this last year......hopefully you speak it in existence like I did.

HakeemtheMachine
06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Here is my Kuelchy vid. I will have more forth coming soon
vs Nevada
Iz1g1K-wPqo

Here is a vids by guys i collaborate with
vs FSU alo
4Mi-nyM0xis

vs Clemson marioclp
YQchsQlvJZg

PhinsRock
06-16-2011, 11:16 PM
He needs to bulk up, but his game is identical to Zach Thomas. He's going to be a heck of an NFL player.

GaMeTiMe
06-16-2011, 11:48 PM
I think he carries a solid 1st round grade but Poz/Laurinaitis/Maualuga are all good points, and it's very true that there probably won't be room for Kuechley/Te'o/Burfict in the 1st round.

However I still have Burfict behind the other two. At the end of the day, Kuechley probably stays in school anyway.

nepg
06-17-2011, 12:10 AM
I do see Kuechly as a Laurinitis/Poz type of prospect.

ellsy82
06-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I think he carries a solid 1st round grade but Poz/Laurinaitis/Maualuga are all good points, and it's very true that there probably won't be room for Kuechley/Te'o/Burfict in the 1st round.

However I still have Burfict behind the other two. At the end of the day, Kuechley probably stays in school anyway.

Good point. He'd be the guy that'd be cool and stays in school. Te'o has no reason to stay. Burflict is too much a freaking psycho to not want to jump into the pros. The way he plays, he may only have a 5-7 year career in the NFL. Of course, that's how Ray Lewis plays even in his scenile old age, throwing his aching bones around like a granny doing the salsa at her grandson's wedding. And screw Maualuga. I don't like him one bit. Only safeties are allowed long, wavy hair in the AFCN, son!

ellsy82
06-17-2011, 12:17 AM
BTW...thanks for the videos, Hakeem.

Roddoliver
06-17-2011, 02:50 AM
Kuechly will be drafted before Burfict, no doubt. 142 tackles in 2009, 183 tackles in 2010. That's insane. 3 interceptions in 2010. 22 straight games with 10+ tackles. Consensus First Team All-America. And he seems to be a smart guy, just listen to any interview. Burfict is more flashy for YouTube purposes, but Kuechly is the better player.

FUNBUNCHER
06-17-2011, 06:37 AM
For a Mike to be drafted in the first, he needs to have borderline elite measurables for the position. I think NFL teams want Kuechly to be close to 6'3 and over 240# with sub 4.7 speed, including above average quickness/COD in the three cone.

His instincts IMO are why I believe no matter when he's drafted, he's destined for more than one pro bowl appearance. The kid plays like he has a GPS implanted in his forehead.

I dunno, maybe scouts break down Kuechly's film and realize his instincts/play recognition are so superior, his pure athletic ability is a minor point of emphasis.

Anyway, I bet there's a 75% chance he goes back to BC and plays in 2012.

K Train
06-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Kuechly will be drafted before Burfict, no doubt. 142 tackles in 2009, 183 tackles in 2010. That's insane. 3 interceptions in 2010. 22 straight games with 10+ tackles. Consensus First Team All-America. And he seems to be a smart guy, just listen to any interview. Burfict is more flashy for YouTube purposes, but Kuechly is the better player.

i dont mind the pshycotic "flashiness" of vontaze though, id take him over luke because i think he and teo are much better fits for the steelers in that they can be hammers as a MLB next to timmons who is more of a can play any LB position type guy. i agree with luke being a "better" player in terms of fundementals and smarts, but i would say burfict is the better fit for a 34 and i love his recklessness for his own and all other bodies around him, thats just a quality a MLB can have and thrive at. I dont think any of them touch willis as a prospect, but fall in between willis and the group of Poz/Lauranitis/Maualuga/Harris as being MLBs drafted relatively high

cmarq83
06-17-2011, 09:23 AM
i dont mind the pshycotic "flashiness" of vontaze though, id take him over luke because i think he and teo are much better fits for the steelers in that they can be hammers as a MLB next to timmons who is more of a can play any LB position type guy. i agree with luke being a "better" player in terms of fundementals and smarts, but i would say burfict is the better fit for a 34 and i love his recklessness for his own and all other bodies around him, thats just a quality a MLB can have and thrive at. I dont think any of them touch willis as a prospect, but fall in between willis and the group of Poz/Lauranitis/Maualuga/Harris as being MLBs drafted relatively high

I think that Burflict has the biggest uphill climb to be a first rounder at this point in time. His production on the field while good is certainly not first round worthy and he has a lot still to prove on the field. He also needs to get his emotions somewhat in check because a ton of what he does will not fly in the zero tolerance NFL. While we as fans love his emotion and playing style on the field, it's important to remember that MLB's are most often the QB's of the defense, and I'm sure coaches place more importance on a guy who is able to make calls on the field and a secondary importance on the attitude aspect. Also we tend to overstate 40 times during this part of the year. Over the past few years we've seen McClain, Spikes, Cushing, and Maualuga time slower than we were anticipating once the combine roles around, and that could very easily happen to any of these LB's.

Burflict may very well put these issues to rest next season, but for the time being he is the one who has the most to prove, or he could very easily end up like Maualuga and be drafted in the second round.

Kuechly on the other hand needs has fewer deficiencies in his game, but could use a little more time in the weight room. He came to BC as a 210lb. safety and has been slowly bulking up. Like a previous poster said it's crucial for his draft stock for him to be around 6'3 240 once the draft rolls around. His biggest area of weakness by far is taking on blocks, and I think a little extra weight would do wonders for him. I don't think he'll match Te'o in the 40 time, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he has the best cone time of the 3.

I think whenever he declares he'll fit into the first round. When discussing recent 2nd round linebackers it's important to remember that Maualaga wasn't productive his senior season, Poz suffered an injury, and Laurinitis had already gained a reputation as a pile jumper. Not to mention he's better at this junction than any of those 3 were, and he has 1-2 seasons to improve his stock. I think a Lb needy team would be foolish to pass on Kuechly in the first if the other 2 are gone.

K Train
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
thats what i meant when i said hes bewteen the willis tier and the high second rounder guys weve seen recently. Theres a difference between being an elite athlete and an elite football player (obviously)...willis was a combo of the high end of both, but what kuechly lacks in athletic ability he does make up for in being an all around great, instinctive football player. he really needs to keep it going and get better if he wants to be in the first round discussion or he will suffer similar draft stock falls like those 2nd round MLBs. its hard to judge, cause like you said a lackluster production in their last year could be the difference between a high first and a mid second round pick

Monomach
06-17-2011, 10:42 AM
I think we all had Laurinaitis rated high. I think he was underdrafted, tbh. Like K-Train said, how can three ILBs go in the first. The thing is, Teo could be viewed as an OLB in a 43 front, so it could go either way. I could see a team like the Ratbirds, Eagles, Saints, or even the Steelers taking him late in the first...but I'd rather spend that premium of a pick on a starter.

Lauinaitis was pretty hated on this board. I'd say about 25% of us really liked him. I know I wanted him to be Urlacher's successor.

A huge crapload of people just said "lol pile jumper, third rounder" whenever we talked about him, though.

K Train
06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
i hated him, but thats pretty much looking at him as a 34 MLB and the steeler rumors floating around about them being in love with him, LK i wouldnt mind because i do think hes overall better, but still have vontazzzee and teo significantly higher as a 34 MLB

ellsy82
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Though, the lack of top DT talent in this draft may push other positions like WR and LB up. Who's a surefire first round DT in this draft? Is Worthy even worthy (heh)? Forston? Probably Crick. And that other DT from Nebraska, Steinkuhler has a chance too.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kuechly and guys like Jeff Fuller, Kenny Tate or Alameda Ta'amu sneak into the late first round.

HakeemtheMachine
06-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Though, the lack of top DT talent in this draft may push other positions like WR and LB up. Who's a surefire first round DT in this draft? Is Worthy even worthy (heh)? Forston? Probably Crick. And that other DT from Nebraska, Steinkuhler has a chance too.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kuechly and guys like Jeff Fuller, Kenny Tate or Alameda Ta'amu sneak into the late first round.
Some kid from the SEC will come ot of nowhere and bec ompletly dominate Im sure. Alabama hs a few guys that could just turn it on and have monster years there physically talnted enough

ellsy82
06-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Some kid from the SEC will come ot of nowhere and bec ompletly dominate Im sure. Alabama hs a few guys that could just turn it on and have monster years there physically talnted enough

True...way too early to be declaring any position deep or thin.

GaMeTiMe
06-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Though, the lack of top DT talent in this draft may push other positions like WR and LB up.

What? There's no correlation between the depth at DT and how high WRs and LBs are drafted, every pick every year brings a different scenario.

Plus, Worthy, Forston, Randall, Powell, Ta'amu and Thompson are all 1st round possibilities at this stage and that's leaving out 3-4 DE types like Crick.

TACKLE
06-18-2011, 04:01 PM
True...way too early to be declaring any position deep or thin.

Obviously things change but I don't think at this point there is a single D-Line prospect in the whole 2012 class who would of gone in the first round of this past draft.

ellsy82
06-18-2011, 04:08 PM
What? There's no correlation between the depth at DT and how high WRs and LBs are drafted, every pick every year brings a different scenario.

Plus, Worthy, Forston, Randall, Powell, Ta'amu and Thompson are all 1st round possibilities at this stage and that's leaving out 3-4 DE types like Crick.

Obviously things change but I don't think at this point there is a single D-Line prospect in the whole 2012 class who would of gone in the first round of this past draft.

Gametime...Not disagreeing with you, just saying anything is possible in 2011. True, Tackle, true.

K Train
06-18-2011, 05:41 PM

coples? i think he would have made some noise in the first round this past year, maybe even more so than quinn

Roddoliver
06-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Fairley, Liuget, Taylor, Wilkerson... I believe none of them were 1st round DTs before the 2010 season.

gator3guy
06-19-2011, 01:34 AM
For a Mike to be drafted in the first, he needs to have borderline elite measurables for the position. I think NFL teams want Kuechly to be close to 6'3 and over 240# with sub 4.7 speed, including above average quickness/COD in the three cone.

His instincts IMO are why I believe no matter when he's drafted, he's destined for more than one pro bowl appearance. The kid plays like he has a GPS implanted in his forehead.

I dunno, maybe scouts break down Kuechly's film and realize his instincts/play recognition are so superior, his pure athletic ability is a minor point of emphasis.

Anyway, I bet there's a 75% chance he goes back to BC and plays in 2012.

My thoughts exactly. For a traditional linebacker to go in the first round, he has to have the measurables. So many times we see productive linebackers slide to the second round. It's not because they aren't quality players, but more so that teams don't value players like Kuechly as much as we think. I think of guys like EJ Henderson, Karlos Dansby, Mauluga, and Laurinaitis. I'm not comparing Kuechly to to those guys physically, but as productive players that dominated in college but maybe didn't have that WOW factor or blazing workout numbers. All of those guys were projected as 1st round picks prior to the season and eventually fell by draft day.

Roddoliver
06-19-2011, 02:39 AM
Rolando McClain was rated as a 1st round MLB. He does not have blazing speed or rare agility. I believe some people even thought he should play in a 3-4 because he is not a sideline-to-sideline player. He has good height and weight combination, and was praised for his football IQ, awareness, leadership.

Also, there were draft analysts seeing Maualuga as a mid 1st round pick. He fell because of character issues (immaturity, alcoholism) and was drafted by an organization that ignores such issues. James Laurinaitis should have been a late 1st round pick and he's proving it on the field.

Kuechly will probably add at least 5 pounds until the Combine. If he runs a low or mid 4.7 40 at 6'2 240+, with his intelligence and production... I say 1st round pick.

FUNBUNCHER
06-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Rolando McClain was rated as a 1st round MLB. He does not have blazing speed or rare agility. I believe some people even thought he should play in a 3-4 because he is not a sideline-to-sideline player. He has good height and weight combination, and was praised for his football IQ, awareness, leadership.

Also, there were draft analysts seeing Maualuga as a mid 1st round pick. He fell because of character issues (immaturity, alcoholism) and was drafted by an organization that ignores such issues. James Laurinaitis should have been a late 1st round pick and he's proving it on the field.

Kuechly will probably add at least 5 pounds until the Combine. If he runs a low or mid 4.7 40 at 6'2 240+, with his intelligence and production... I say 1st round pick.

I agree in general, just that Kuechly is far from a lock to go in the 1st.

McClain had elite size for the position along with being praised as the central nervous system of the best D college football. He looked the part of a first rounder, despite confirming his straightline speed was only adequate. He was a 1st rounder for a 3-4 D, but I don't think he would have been for a 4-3 team like the Giants because of his potential deficiencies in downfield coverage.

BTW, I have doubts McClain is ever a dominating ILB in the NFL, because of his athletic limitations.

Rey was considered a possible 1st rounder because of his tools and playing style, but as another poster mentioned, his production wasn't on the level you would like to see for a 1st rounder.

You look at a guy like Cushing who went first, then someone like Laurinaitis(sp) who slipped, and I'm trying to find the separation between them as Mikes.

The obvious difference is playing style; Cushing IMO was a much more physical/collision type LB in college than Laurinaitis.

Just because a guy goes in the first doesn't mean they are a consensus 1st rounder for every NFL team.

SOme teams will take a guy like Kuechly in the first if he can manage to demonstrate decent athleticism and speed, other franchises are looking for their MLBs to test like Jerod Mayo/Patrick Willis/Brian Urlacher.

If I need a MIKE and I'm selecting from picks 15-32 and Kuechly duplicates his production of 2010 at close to 245# at the combine, he's near the top of the list of prospects I'd want to draft.

etk
06-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Why is it that every productive white LB only excels at instincts and intangibles in the public's mind? Kuechly gets almost 200 tackles a year or w/e ridiculous #s he puts up because he has elite footwork and great range. He gets to the hole quickly and efficiently and has legit sideline to sideline speed. There was one play (I think it was against Clemson) where he dropped back about 15-20 yards away from the LOS - he excels in coverage btw - and then chased down a screen pass for minimal yardage gained. Most of the tackles he misses are from overrunning plays because he diagnoses so quickly and has + quickness and speed.

The only issue with Kuechly at the moment is his size/bulk. He's got a big, ideal frame but he's not filled out yet. Once he gets thicker he'll be NFL ready because he has the power to strike through his hips to take on FBs or hit ballcarriers.

AntoinCD
06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Why is it that every productive white LB only excels at instincts and intangibles in the public's mind? Kuechly gets almost 200 tackles a year or w/e ridiculous #s he puts up because he has elite footwork and great range. He gets to the hole quickly and efficiently and has legit sideline to sideline speed. There was one play (I think it was against Clemson) where he dropped back about 15-20 yards away from the LOS - he excels in coverage btw - and then chased down a screen pass for minimal yardage gained. Most of the tackles he misses are from overrunning plays because he diagnoses so quickly and has + quickness and speed.

The only issue with Kuechly at the moment is his size/bulk. He's got a big, ideal frame but he's not filled out yet. Once he gets thicker he'll be NFL ready because he has the power to strike through his hips to take on FBs or hit ballcarriers.

It's the same old stereotypes that generally go around for all positions.

All black QB prospects are athletic and make more plays with their feet.

All white WR prospects are more quick than fast in the Wes Welker/Brandon Stokley mould.

Ryan Kerrigan reminded everyone of Aaron Kampman, or Aaron Schoebel, or Jared Allen etc.

Cam Newton reminded everyone of Vince Young, or Donovan McNabb etc

Everyone loves to make comparisons but fail to look past the obvious.

As far as Keuchley goes, the thing that hurts him is that he is almost solely a 43 player and may not even be a great fit in all 43 schemes. Burfict is probably only a 34 ILB but his upside may make a 43 team draft him. Te'o has the most versatility of the bunch. I'd look at teams like the Giants, Bucs and Lions to be in play for Keuchley in the second half of the first round if he is still available and those teams are picking there.

etk
06-20-2011, 07:10 PM
As far as Keuchley goes, the thing that hurts him is that he is almost solely a 43 player and may not even be a great fit in all 43 schemes. Burfict is probably only a 34 ILB but his upside may make a 43 team draft him. Te'o has the most versatility of the bunch. I'd look at teams like the Giants, Bucs and Lions to be in play for Keuchley in the second half of the first round if he is still available and those teams are picking there.

I agree. Good analysis of the versatility for those 3. I do think Kuechly could play SAM in a 4-3 but MLB is definitely his best fit. He'd still make a good SAM but it would be wasting some of his talents.

roscoesdad27
06-21-2011, 08:30 AM
YES Luke is worth a first rond pick, potentially a top 12 pick and could go ahead of Taze and TeO in the right situation. Like if Tampa is picking #12 with all 3 available, Luke fits best for their scheme with his great coverage and is good value there. I dont think he could go top 5 like the other 2 because of his relative lack of explosion, so I doubt the above scenario plays out.

L. Kuechly 6'2 237
183 tackles, 3 interceptions
+ elite instincts, tackling ability, and coverage
- doesnt take on blocks well, not explosive, needs to add size.
top 12 for a 4-3 cover 2 scheme.
top 15 for traditional 4-3 scheme.
2nd rounder as a 3-4 mike.

M. TeO 6'2 250
129 tackles , 8.5 tfl
+ tremendous tackler and size/speed combo, great instincts
- doesnt take on blocks well
top 5 for a traditional 4-3 scheme.
top 10 for a cover 2 scheme.
top 15 for a 3-4 mike.

V. Burfict 6'3 248
91 tackles, 8.5 tfl
+ tremendous size/speed combo, explosive, contagious intensity, snap anticipation, blows up blockers
- needs to improve tackling form, undisciplined in coverage, penalties
top 5 for a 3-4 ilb
top 10 in a 4-3 attacking scheme.
top 20 for a traditional 4-3 scheme.
2nd rounder as a cover 2 mike.

teams needing mlb:

Cleveland...they are attempting to run a version of the 4-3 2000 Ravens with two 330 + pounders at d.t.. A dominate mlb with stress on instincts and tackling ability is needed desperately to make up for the lack of plays the 2 plugs in the middle will make + free up the olb's to blitz which is also vital for the scheme. The defense will be amongst the worse in football with huge holes at mlb, olb and d.e. resulting in a top 8 pick. TeO has to be#1 on their board right now but if he gets picked before Cleveland gets a chance then Kuechly could be an option, I wouldnt touch Taze for this scheme.

Jax...a traditional 4-3 team that could also be picking top 8 cause of a horrid defense. Their most pressing need will be at d.e. but TeO could be an option.

Detroit....running an attacking 4-3 scheme emphasizing interior pressure. I think they are in for a slight regress this season thou because as much as I love the potential of this scheme they ignored other areas of need at mlb, olb and cb which will cost them in the short run resulting in a top 12 pick. Not exactly sure where this is going and a case could be made for each guy here but in the end I say keep enhancing the strength by adding an attacking mlb like Taze. Get a pair of good tackling olb's and let him play downhill. TeO could also be an option if available with his ability to clean up allowing Suh and Fairly to be even more wreckless. Kuechly could be better than both if they wanna run cover 2 behind it.

T.B_...famous 4-3 tampa 2 scheme. Kuechly is absolutely ideal for this scheme and would be great value in the 12-15 spot I think they will be picking. TeO should be gone but even if available I'd still pick Kuechly. Taze is a horrible fit.

Giants...attacking 4-3. Should be picking in the 15-20 range so TeO should be long gone. Taze could work but he would probably be gone too. Kuechly could be ideal with the G-mens struggles covering the middle of the field and he is the most likely to be available.

K.C....3-4 defense. Should be picking in the 15-20 range. They would jump all over Taze, even if picking top 5. TeO could be an option but no way is he available, dont like Kuechlys fit.

Philly....attacking 4-3. Should make a superbowl run so I highly doubt the top 3 guys are available and just like Detroit a case could be made for all 3.

Pitt/Baltimore...both attacking 3-4 defenses. Should also make a superbowl runs so I highly doubt the top 3 guys are available but both would clearly take Taze.

my latest ruff draft mock has TeO going 4 to cleveland, Taze going 11 to detroit and Kuechly going 13 to tampa.

SolidGold
06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Have to agree with Luke being a perfect fit in the Tampa 2 system. Depending on how he times in speed drills I think he could play weak side and be a Derrick Brooks type player.

Roddoliver
06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Kuechly "doesn't take on blocks well"? How is that? He is always around the ball. Being 6'3, he probably has good arm lenght for a LB. When the guy makes 142 and then 183 tackles in the NCAA, it's because he is not getting blocked. Right? He is there making the tackles. He led the country in tackles and he can still improve his tackling. Kuechly is just a sophomore, there is room for improvement, including the addition of quality weight. I think he is a Gene Smith pick in the 1st round.

FUNBUNCHER
06-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Kuechly "doesn't take on blocks well"? How is that? He is always around the ball. Being 6'3, he probably has good arm lenght for a LB. When the guy makes 142 and then 183 tackles in the NCAA, it's because he is not getting blocked. Right? He is there making the tackles. He led the country in tackles and he can still improve his tackling. Kuechly is just a sophomore, there is room for improvement, including the addition of quality weight. I think he is a Gene Smith pick in the 1st round.

Some guys have a talent for slipping blocks, much in the same way that great RBs can avoid initial tacklers.

High tackle numbers doesn't mean Kuechly is blowing up guards to get to the ballcarrier.

ellsy82
06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Seems to me he's just a high motor, sideline-to-sideline playmaker. As another poster stated, he's not gonna blow up the combine. Probably a 4.7 guy? Who cares, tho. Obviously if Rolando McClain can be drafted in the first 10 picks, with his combine numbers, there's no reason at all why Kuech couldn't. His production is what matters now, and he is every bit as productive as McClain, even moreso.

K Train
06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
meh i guess....hes still a white MLB and while MLBs fall in the draft, white ones fall even harder, its true even though some people will call BS.

truth is that despite his great production, he doesnt necessarily translate into all pro schemes as well as someone would like. I think mclain would be much better in a 34, but he was drafted into a 43. I love teo and taze, i cant see luke going over them even if hes more productive, imo teo and taze translate to the pros more in that their ceilings are crazy high and they warrant a high first round investment.

kuechly will be looked at as a tremendous football player but not a player with loads of potential to be a star MLB like a patrick willis or a ray lewis, but there will also be a point where him being such a great football player and all around linebacker will outweigh the "potential" of the players being drafted around him, and i think that will fall in the late first round but more probably the early second round...right where a lot of us are projecting him right now

personally id take teo and taze over him every time, but if im a team picking that needs a LB after those two are gone id be thrilled to have him on my team but id risk the immense potential of the other 2 if i could

*i approach this post hating the 43 defense

ellsy82
06-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Right. I think we're pretty much in agreement. Third ranked MLB. Fringe 1st rounder due to the other talent at the position.

I would also take Teo and Taze over Luechly. He's obviously not the athelte that the other two are. Potentially the first taken in April, but more than likely in the 15 to 40 range. I currently have him mocked to the Jets at 1.22 (with Brandon Jenkins, Paige-Moss, and Devin Taylor already off the board).

Malaka
06-21-2011, 07:41 PM
I honestly am hopping Kuechly falls a bit... right to the Giants he'd be a flawless fit in Fewell's defense, and honestly, IMO, the missing ingredient to the Giants' defense. With him I think the Giants could easily be the best defense in the league barring injuries of course.

FUNBUNCHER
06-21-2011, 11:29 PM
I honestly am hopping Kuechly falls a bit... right to the Giants he'd be a flawless fit in Fewell's defense, and honestly, IMO, the missing ingredient to the Giants' defense. With him I think the Giants could easily be the best defense in the league barring injuries of course.

Kuechly was made for the G-Men IMO. The pick would be too perfect, and if the Giants are picking in the bottom ten picks of the first round, I could definitely see it happening.

HakeemtheMachine
06-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Vs Notre Dame

cNJHAq_igwU
just added this

ellsy82
06-23-2011, 11:59 PM
After thinking about it. McClain was draft in a year where there weren't any monster inside backers. Kind of like Newton went #1 in a weak QB draft this year. If MacClain were in the same draft as Teo, Burflict, and Kuechly, no way he's drafted in the top 20, let alone top 10.

Razor
06-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Right. I think we're pretty much in agreement. Third ranked MLB. Fringe 1st rounder due to the other talent at the position.
I don't agree with that. I have Kuechly ranked as the top LB right now. He is an underrated athlete and makes tons of plays. Te'o as vastly overrated imo and Taze still has some issues although both have ridiculous upside. I just need to see more from them on the field before I can justify ranking them higher than Kuechly. I don't really care about measurables and upside when it comes to linebackers, I want to see production and the intangibles put to good use on the field. I see that with Kuechly, but no as much as I'd like from Te'o and Taze. Still, there's a whole season of football to be played, but atm I like Kuechly much better than Te'o and Taze.

Malaka
06-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Kuechly was made for the G-Men IMO. The pick would be too perfect, and if the Giants are picking in the bottom ten picks of the first round, I could definitely see it happening.

It just seems like it's fated to happen... I mean Coughlin loves Boston College players and as luck would have it guess what college Kuechly plays for.

bigbluedefense
06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
It just seems like it's fated to happen... I mean Coughlin loves Boston College players and as luck would have it guess what college Kuechly plays for.

To be fair...we haven't drafted any BC players since Kiwanuka.

I think the Coughlin loves BC players thing is starting to be blown out of proportion.

And while I love Luke, I think he's being too hyped up right now. And realistically, I don't even see him coming out. I think he stays 4 years.

IrishTrojan
06-25-2011, 02:40 AM
lbpNkBiLDeU

Sloopy
09-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Now that we've actually had some games this season I just wanted to revisit this topic...

So Far:

Taze - 22 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 int

T'eo - 36 tackles, 2 sacks

Kuechly - 69 tackles, 1 int

Taze has been quiet (by Burfict-metrics at least), seemingly disappearing at times during games. However he has recorded a few sacks and had a big interception on Barkley during the USC game. Could this seemingly more controlled play along with his upside boost his draft stock?

T'eo is starting off the season right where he left off: leading the Irish in tackles and as a whole Notre Dame has been fairly solid on defense.

Haven't been able to watch much of Kuechly but from his stats he appears to remain the tackling machine.

Just wondering what others think?

Shane P. Hallam
09-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Easily. He won't be the dynamic playmaker, but he will be a solid starter for a decade. That is worth a mid-first in my opinion. In the vein of guys like DeMeco Ryans, James Laurinaitis, etc who all would be first rounders if those drafts were redrafted. Kuechly is a monster mentally, shedding blocks at the 2nd level, and near perfect tackling technique.

SolidGold
09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Easily. He won't be the dynamic playmaker, but he will be a solid starter for a decade. That is worth a mid-first in my opinion. In the vein of guys like DeMeco Ryans, James Laurinaitis, etc who all would be first rounders if those drafts were redrafted. Kuechly is a monster mentally, shedding blocks at the 2nd level, and near perfect tackling technique.

Based on his tackling form he should be a first rounder. Its sad to say but good tackling technique seems to really be unappreciated when assessing defensive draft prospects. Everyone gets caught up in measurables including the NFL talent evaluators/front offices who continually draft busts year after year based on measurables. Kuechly belongs in the mid to late first round.

no bare feet
09-30-2011, 07:23 AM
beast of beasts

cmarq83
09-30-2011, 08:49 AM

I'm actually going to disagree with you on the tackling technique. It's better this year than it has been in years past because his added mass seems to have slowed him down, but for as many tackles as Kuechly has in his career he's missed a ton by basically playing too fast. He's as fast at diagnosing plays, and has as elite lateral agility as any LB I've seen, but sometimes he comes in too fast. This causes him to fail to break down, and a lot of times his tackle gets eluded.

Still love him as a prospect, but the scary thought is his tackling form could use improvement and if he perfects it the sky is the limit in terms of tackling totals. For a team which runs a lot of nickel he could be a 170-200 tackle guy in the NFL.