PDA

View Full Version : Positional free agency discussion: OL

killxswitch
06-16-2011, 09:19 AM
There is an impressive crop of top interior OLmen this offseason (if we keep talking about it maybe we'll have one). Fewer top OTs, and even then I expect most will re-sign with their current teams. So if your team is looking for a guard or center (especially a power run guard) they may be in luck!

Top 5 OTs

Jared Gaither - I am a big believer in Gaither. Moreso than many. I think he was pissed when they moved him to RT and in retrospect it looks like Oher is a better RT anyway. If he's unrestricted and Ravens don't re-sign him, which it appears they won't, he should have several interested teams. His injuries will lower his price tag, but his age might raise it as he is only 25 and his best years are probably still ahead of him.

Doug Free - I'm not sure Free was everything optimistic Cowboys fans were hoping for at LT but he was still a very effective in both run and pass blocking for Dallas. He's been given a 1st and 3rd RFA tag but with the new CBA he will probably be unrestricted. With Tyron Smith being drafted so highly, will JJ sign Free to a big contract? If not, he will have plenty of interest.

Tyson Clabo - With guards Dahl and Blalock also needing new contracts and Clabo due for a big increase in pay he seems the most likely to leave for free agency. He's talented as both a run and pass blocker but is getting old. A team ready to win now would likely be interested.

Jamaal Brown - It is weird how much this guy has fallen off a cliff since his pre-injury seasons with New Orleans. He still has talent and IMO is more of a LT than RT. His health will drive some teams away but it will only take one team with a need at LT.

Matt Light - I debated not including him in this list because he is old and has lost a lot of effectiveness. But the other options aren't that appealing either. If the Pats don't re-sign him, and I don't think they will, I expect a team looking for a veteran that can play RT will give him a solid-but-not-spectacular contract.

Other notables - Ryan Harris, Jermon Bushrod, Charlie Johnson, John Greco, Jeremy Trueblood, Willie Colon

Top 5 OG/C

Carl Nicks - Arguably the best guard in the NFL. The Saints gave Jahri Evans the biggest ever guard contract so it might be hard to give Nicks and even bigger deal. Just about any team could benefit from Nicks on the roster but they'll have to give up a 1st rounder AND big money to get him. He only just turned 26 so he might be worth it.

Logan Mankins - Another guy in the "best guard" discussion. At one point Mankins swore his time in NE was over but then he signed his tender and played. If he hits free agency either he or Nicks will get the biggest guard contract ever. Mankins might be more scheme-diverse.

FRANCHISED!Ryan Kalil - The Panthers would have to be idiots to not re-sign Kalil. But it's the Panthers so who knows. Kalil would be a hot commodity for any team except maybe true power blocking teams.

Harvey Dahl - Great run blocker but he's close to 30 years old. It seems likely the Falcons will re-sign him. If not a wide range of teams would probably be interested. Dahl plays with a nasty, mean attitude.

Davin Joseph - There is some injury history there but he is a prototypical strong power blocker and a former first round pick. The Bucs have a lot of cap room but don't like spending money on football when they could spend it on soccer instead. Legarrette Blount did well running without Joseph last season so they might let him test free agency. He is 28 years old.

Marshal Yanda - Assuming the Ravens figure out their tackle situation going forward, Yanda would team with Ben Grubbs to challenge the Saints for the best guard combo in the NFL. I think the Saints win that one but the point is Yanda is a great physical, run-blocking guard.

ADDITION: Robert Gallery - Despite never living up to his (at the time) huge LT rookie contract, Gallery played out the entire thing and ended up a pretty good run blocking guard and team leader. With the huge contract to Jahri Evans he stands to make a second killing with his next contract as he is only 30 years old and has been fairly durable throughout most of his career.

Other notables: Justin Blalock, Ritchie Incognito, David Baas

DeepThreat
06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Kalil was franchised.

killxswitch
06-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks, fixed.

jrdrylie
06-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Can the Bears please sign Free and Mankins?

Monomach
06-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Can the Bears please sign Free Yanda and Mankins?

Top 5 tackle last year, yo.

M.O.T.H.
06-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Free is guaranteed to be back with Dallas. And really, he was very good this year. Free and Smith are probably, well hopefully, our tackles for the next 10 years.

As for what Dallas should do...re-sign Kosier to a short term deal, cut Davis' useless ass, and sign the best available RG.

RaiderNation
06-16-2011, 04:40 PM
The Raiders are in need of adding a vet RT/OG. I wouldn't be surprised if Al threw some money at one of the top OLmen to sign them here.

niel89
06-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I think that Gaither is going to be a valuable target for a lot of teams. He has good starting experience and is still only 25! Yes he was hurt but he had the entire season to heal up. I think that the Ravens moved Oher over because the knew that they were going to have trouble resigning Gaither. If Gaither comes back then Oher will kick over. I doubt the Ravens can resign him though, too many other guys need to be signed first (Ngata, Yanda, CBs.)

Yanda is a much more important player to resign for Baltimore right now to me. He is a nasty guard who really makes a difference when he is on the inside. He is a hell of a tackle too and played really well on the outside. That ability to kick out to tackle if needed is really valuable, but his best position is still inside.

I really think that most of these guys resign with their teams though.

Defsoul
06-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Logan Mankins has received the franchise tag from the Patriots, so he probably won't hit the open market any time soon.

Monomach
06-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I think that Gaither is going to be a valuable target for a lot of teams. He has good starting experience and is still only 25! Yes he was hurt but he had the entire season to heal up. I think that the Ravens moved Oher over because the knew that they were going to have trouble resigning Gaither. If Gaither comes back then Oher will kick over. I doubt the Ravens can resign him though, too many other guys need to be signed first (Ngata, Yanda, CBs.)

Yanda is a much more important player to resign for Baltimore right now to me. He is a nasty guard who really makes a difference when he is on the inside. He is a hell of a tackle too and played really well on the outside. That ability to kick out to tackle if needed is really valuable, but his best position is still inside.

I really think that most of these guys resign with their teams though.That's a common misconception. His best season was as a tackle. Baltimore would be better off keeping him there and getting a guard, as they're easier and cheaper to replace.

asdf1223
06-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Mankins was franchised. And Nicks is a true RFA, regardless of whether a new CBA is there or not(2008 Draftee). I would add Chris Spencer to the list. Not special or anything but a good young pivot who is 100% hitting the market because Seattle is probably committed to the Max Unger at Center experiment.

MucBuc
06-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Sources close to the Bucs say that the team will make a strong push to re-sign Joseph. They got away last season with solid play from their backups all along the O-Line, but if healthy, Joseph's still the designated starter at RG.

Shouldn't Deuce Lutui be on that list too?

Monomach
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/6069/toptackles.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3141/bottomtackles.jpg

Willie Colon should be on the good list, Matt Light has to come off. Dude is done.

Sources close to the Bucs say that the team will make a strong push to re-sign Joseph. They got away last season with solid play from their backups all along the O-Line, but if healthy, Joseph's still the designated starter at RG.
It's going to take a top contract to sign him. They should let him walk. His run blocking is still really good, but his pass blocking is garbage.

MucBuc
06-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't think he'll command top money. Missed 4 games in '08 and 5 games in '10 due to injury, so the medical concerns are for real. His only Pro Bowl appearance only came as an alternate player.

Add in that the Bucs are looking to improve their running game and that a (possible) new cap floor might force the team to spend a bunch of cash, and I think there's enough reasons to give him a moderate extension.
Another plus is Joseph's familiarity with the offense, which is especially important if the lockout extends into training camp.

phlysac
06-17-2011, 04:19 PM

Willie Colon should be on the good list, Matt Light has to come off. Dude is done.

Really confused by your charts. One is a list from 2008-2010, and the other is from just 2010?

Splat
06-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Would like to see the Chiefs pick up a solid RT which is their weakest spot on the OL.

bucfan12
06-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Davin Joseph is a very good run blocker, but honestly, it seemed like the o-line played better without him. He misses games consistantly, atleast 3-5 games a year, so I would be hesitant to pay him top dollar who has injury history with knee/foot all the time.

Pat Sims 90
06-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Davin Joseph is a very good run blocker, but honestly, it seemed like the o-line played better without him. He misses games consistantly, atleast 3-5 games a year, so I would be hesitant to pay him top dollar who has injury history with knee/foot all the time.

Sounds like he would be a perfect fit in Cincy. Injury Prone Good Run Blocker is about their whole starting OL excluding Whitworth.

vidae
06-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Would like to see the Chiefs pick up a solid RT which is their weakest spot on the OL.

This. I'd take Light and throw him out at RT for a year or two and develop someone while he takes a beating there.

cmarq83
06-19-2011, 05:25 PM
This. I'd take Light and throw him out at RT for a year or two and develop someone while he takes a beating there.

Belichick is on record saying that Light can't play RT. That is why he didn't slide Vollmer over to the left side last year despite him being a far superior player at this point in his career.

killxswitch
06-20-2011, 08:53 AM
I'd bet Light will surprise some people next season. He will have had more time than usual to rest and heal with this lockout in place. He may have a resurgence here for another year or so. His best years are behind him but regardless of how high footballdorks.com ranks Willie Colon I think Light will be one of the top FA tackles whenever free agency finally starts.

bucfan12
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Todd Light might have 2 maybe 3 years left of quality play, so he's not going to get the type of deal most expect for a starting LT. best thing for him would to be to sign with New England for them to groom Solder, who is a major project.

ArkyRamsFan
06-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Todd Light might have 2 maybe 3 years left of quality play, so he's not going to get the type of deal most expect for a starting LT. best thing for him would to be to sign with New England for them to groom Solder, who is a major project.

I'm sure you meant 'Matt' Light. Todd played CB for the Rams for many years and was a steller contirbutor in the SB years. He has been retired for some time now.

Also he does spell his last name 'Lyght'.

wordofi
06-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Carl Nicks and Jared Gaither. That's it. $45 million tops, however.

wordofi
06-20-2011, 05:48 PM

It's going to take a top contract to sign him. They should let him walk. His run blocking is still really good, but his pass blocking is garbage.

Where did you get this? I've been interested for a while in how to find efficiency stats on offensive lineman.

XxXdragonXxX
06-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Eh, pass blocking efficiency stats mean very little to me. I read an article saying Sean Locklear was the top RT in 2010 in pass blocking efficiency. Sean Locklear is one of the worst RT's in the NFL.

gpngc
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Isn't Gallery a FA also?

killxswitch
06-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Isn't Gallery a FA also?

Crap I knew I was forgetting somebody. Considering he was such a bust at LT how funny would it be for him to still get a huge second contract as a guard? I think he'll get a 4 or so year deal, and if not for Jahri Evans money, fairly close to it.

TheMorningZoo
06-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I think Gallery goes to Seattle. They have a young OL, and could use some Vet leadership which Gallery would bring. He has had some injury concerns, but when he is on the field (at Guard) he is pretty good. + with Tom Cable being the OL coach their, it makes too much sense.

Defsoul
06-25-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm sure you meant 'Matt' Light. Todd played CB for the Rams for many years and was a steller contirbutor in the SB years. He has been retired for some time now.

Jon Gruden called Matt Light 'Todd' during the MNF game between the Bills and Patriots back in 2009. Maybe bucfan12 was referring to that incident.