PDA

View Full Version : Miles Burris - OLB - SDSU

TACKLE
06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
6'3 240 - 79 tackles, 18 tfl's, 7.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles

Know this name. He's totally off the radar right now but don't be surprised if he ends up as one of and possibly the best OLB prospects in 2012 (you heard it here first). He's a highly explosive athlete who covers ground in a hurry. Based off watching him play, he looks like a 4.55 guy. He is a weight room freak (435 bench, 635 squat) who is displays some very impressive strength. He plays a similar roll in that defense to what Brian Cushing played a USC; stand up edge rusher who also plays behind the line in the 4-3. He's explosive off the edge and is an impact speed rusher. Terrific motor and covers ground as well as any LB in this draft. With his size, speed, strength, athleticism and pass rush ability, I think he has the capability to play every LB position in both the 4-3 and the 3-4. Burris is definitely a guy I will be keeping a close eye on and someone I expected him to rise up the board in a hurry.

RtlONCH8jPA

bored of education
06-17-2011, 05:58 PM
So awesome sir.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
06-17-2011, 08:06 PM
seriously, i realize its a highlight film, but its 10 freaking minutes long!this kid is a STUD! his instincts and play diagnosis are off the charts. then you throw in his superior closing speed and this kid has the makings of a great player. non stop motor and the ability to shed/avoid blocks (similar in that respect to Ray Lewis. no one ever really blocks him out of a play) will earn him much success.

Good stuff TACKLE!

ellsy82
06-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Looks like a good ball player. Probably be drafted in the 5th round somewhere.

Duffman57
06-18-2011, 03:39 AM
This guy is awesome. He's just a stud. He's a big leader on the SDSU team this last year, and is just a stud athletically. He's almost Clay Mathews Ish as a player, maybe even more instinctive. He is a great edge rusher and the recognition and pursuit angles he takes, just shows how great his instincts are and the speed he has is pretty dam incredible.

ellsy82
06-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Watching the video again, damn...he does look like a 4.55 guy.

GaMeTiMe
06-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Interesting that the Youtube account is called "trevorburris", but I was still pretty impressed. He's either that good at shedding blocks or the offense just wasn't taking account for him enough because he seemingly got to the ball with ease on every play.

By the highlights he obviously looks like a 3-4 OLB, but doesn't seem to lack the size to play the other LB spots, I guess. Not sure he ends up being one of the top LB prospects in the draft, but could be considered one of those can't miss 3rd-4th round guys.

FUNBUNCHER
06-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I wish his highlights showed him playing a couple of series instead the times he made an impact play, that way it's easier to get a visual on his playing style and recognition/instincts.

Is he a little stiff??

Haven't been through that entire highlight clip, but two plays thus far stand out; @1:03 and the 1:51 mark. His effort in pursuing plays away from him downfield is freakish( AND he made the tackle!!) I can't remember seeing a clip of a OLB giving that kind of effort going after a ballcarrier once he's 25+ yards downfield.

He needs to get a little bigger, 240# is light for either a 34 or 43, but his stock at the moment seems to be on the up.

Just saying FWIW, LT's backside pursuit was one of the traits that made him 'different' from other NFL LBs.

The highlight at the 1:51 mark where Burris runs downfield roughly 40 yards outrunning his corners and safeties to make the play is a bizarre play to watch.

I don't know about his official time, but his game speed is rare.

I don't see the same agility, but his game speed looks every bit as fast as Von Miller.

Woody56
06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Dude is fast...

FUNBUNCHER
06-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Watching the video again, damn...he does look like a 4.55 guy.

On some plays he looks like a 4.3 guy.

There's a clip where he's playing the middle of an option pitch between the QB and RB, flowing towards the sideline between both of them, and when the ball is pitched Burris turns and tracks down the RB before he can turn upfield.

LBs aren't supposed to be able to make plays like that.

OSUGiants17
06-19-2011, 12:32 PM
His closing speed is unreal, and his instincts are fantastic

HakeemtheMachine
06-19-2011, 12:36 PM
His closing speed is unreal, and his instincts are fantastic

Funny U put this up ive been trying to track down games with him to make vids

DeepThreat
06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Interesting that the Youtube account is called "trevorburris", but I was still pretty impressed. He's either that good at shedding blocks or the offense just wasn't taking account for him enough because he seemingly got to the ball with ease on every play.

By the highlights he obviously looks like a 3-4 OLB, but doesn't seem to lack the size to play the other LB spots, I guess. Not sure he ends up being one of the top LB prospects in the draft, but could be considered one of those can't miss 3rd-4th round guys.

I am so confused by this post. First you imply that 4-3 linebackers have to be bigger than 3-4 linebackers, and then you say he's a 3rd or 4th rounder while citing nothing negative.

I actually don't think Burris is a 3-4 OLB from the minimal coverage seen in this video. He appears to be a one dimensional pass rusher who only uses his speed to beat linemen. While that is great in college, it is difficult to use that consistently in the NFL.

Again, going by the limited action shown in this video, I think Burris's best fit is as a 4-3 LB. He is incredibly fast and strong and seems to have a nose for the ball. However, there aren't many coverage plays shown so it is difficult to get much of an impression of him. He is definitely someone to look out for though, and a guy who I think has the potential to be a first round pick.

Sloopy
06-20-2011, 09:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqR73Rh0bL8

Here is a video of the San Diego State D against TCU

Definitely makes some plays but seems to be limited in his pass rush moves. After the initial sack they seem to have him figured out. Still makes some plays. It's a little easier to put his speed into perspective on this video. Would still give him 4.5

Big Bird
06-20-2011, 11:27 AM
I got pretty excited about a guy named Carl Ihenacho a few years ago who was similar across the board after his Junior season and had an impressive highlight tape as well.

The guy was fairly average as a Senior though.

Seeing as it seems like none of you trying to hype this guy have watched a real San Diego State game, I would suggest toning down a bit before hyping him as a Brian Cushing or Clay Mathews...

bitonti
06-20-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't know about his official time, but his game speed is rare.

+1 nice video

thanks original poster

DBNYDP
06-20-2011, 03:38 PM
When I saw the video I was impressed by his speed and strength combination. At the same time though I think he was just incredibly stiff and won't do much in coverage (granted I will have to see more to definitely say he won't be a great cover linebacker). But there are definitely ways to scheme him to make use of his strengths without using him in coverage that much. I'd say right now he's a guy I'd look at as a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 WLB. I'd say he is a 1st to a 3rd rounder based off how he plays this year. But he definitely seems like a guy that could really rise if he beasts it up during the season and has a great combine performance.

gator3guy
06-21-2011, 01:49 AM
San Diego State has developed some Linebacking prospects over the past decade. As an Eagle fan, I'm still disappointed we took Matt McCoy over Kirk Morrison. I believe McCoy is (or was) still floating around the league.

Other LB's:
Russell Allen (JAX)
Antwan Applewhite (SD)
Heath Farwell (MIN)(Special Teamer)
Freddy Keiaho (JAX)

That's a pretty good list for a school such as SDSU.

ellsy82
06-21-2011, 02:01 AM
I am so confused by this post. First you imply that 4-3 linebackers have to be bigger than 3-4 linebackers, and then you say he's a 3rd or 4th rounder while citing nothing negative.

I actually don't think Burris is a 3-4 OLB from the minimal coverage seen in this video. He appears to be a one dimensional pass rusher who only uses his speed to beat linemen. While that is great in college, it is difficult to use that consistently in the NFL.

Again, going by the limited action shown in this video, I think Burris's best fit is as a 4-3 LB. He is incredibly fast and strong and seems to have a nose for the ball. However, there aren't many coverage plays shown so it is difficult to get much of an impression of him. He is definitely someone to look out for though, and a guy who I think has the potential to be a first round pick.

Right...Jason Worilds 2.0. We'll see how he fits.

HakeemtheMachine
06-25-2011, 07:16 AM
+1 nice video

thanks original poster

His Brother made the Vid. Anyway here is one I made of the TCU game

LSNwGJXdohY