PDA

View Full Version : Dre Kirkpatrick versus Patrick Peterson ?

DBNYDP
06-17-2011, 08:55 PM
How do the two of them compare? I really haven't done too much research on Kirkpatrick, and I haven't really focused on watching him in Alabama games this year (I focused in on Dareus/Hightower this year). But based off what I've seen and what I've read, I'm starting to see some similarities between the two.

All said and done, I think Kirkpatrick isn't quite the physical specimen/freak that Peterson is. But that being said, I think Kirkpatrick just tackles better and is more physical Both of them are guys I don't really dig in zone coverage, but guys who I think would be beasts in press coverage. I'd also guess that Kirkpatrick finds himself picked in the top half

Anyway...thoughts? Also based off this topic, where would you project Dre going? Where would you say he ranks among corners?

BuddyCHRIST
06-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Not really an apt comparison, Kirkpatrick is more of a true corner and definitely less of a physical marvel. But he will certainly come out knowing how to play the CB position. He looks more like Joe Haden to me.

ChiFan24
06-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Dre is a better prospect from what I can tell, because he actually has an NFL position. It's something that I really think people overlooked with Peterson.

ellsy82
06-17-2011, 09:53 PM
He actually reminds me of skinny Antonio Cromartie. Just a bit quicker to the ball.

TACKLE
06-18-2011, 02:11 AM
Dre is a better prospect from what I can tell, because he actually has an NFL position. It's something that I really think people overlooked with Peterson.

whaaattt? first of all, dre is 6'3 195 (probs will be at around 200 when the draft comes around) which doesn't really make him any less of a safety than pp was considered to be. most importantly, even if his position is more clear defined in your approximation, at corner, he is very average whereas PP was a dominant player at that position.

Duffman57
06-18-2011, 03:47 AM
He actually reminds me of skinny Antonio Cromartie. Just a bit quicker to the ball.

This is exactly what i was thinking. He's a very similar player with the same frame, size and speed and the way he plays CB with his athleticism. He'll probably end up at around 6'2" 205-210 running in the high 4.4 range.

That said Peterson is the better prospect by far, though he was very raw, there are maybe 5 guys in the NFL with that athletic ability that he has.

fenikz
06-18-2011, 04:56 AM
ummm no, at this point Kirkpatrick can't hold Peterson's jock

roscoesdad27
06-18-2011, 06:54 AM
speed kills, gimme peterson.

descendency
06-18-2011, 07:53 AM
I don't care if Peterson's CB skills were mediocre, he was still 100 times the prospect Kirkpatrick is.

ellsy82
06-18-2011, 08:51 AM
desc...he's 100 times the athlete that Kirk is. At this point, they're probably very similar college cornerbacks. I guess my point is, sure, Peterson is the mold in which you'd create the perfect cornerback. Agile, athleticism, eye for the ball...he's gonna be a good one.

But Kirkpatrick IS the best corner back in this draft should he decide to declare. I'm actually fine if none of the underclassmen rookies decided to go pro. Dennard, Minnifield, Heyward, Hayward, Judie, Jenkins...there's enough talent just in the senior class to go around the league for 7 rounds. Kirk is just the cream on top of that cherry pie.

K Train
06-18-2011, 11:39 AM

this is madness...patrick peterson was one of the best DB prospects ive ever seen, dre is no where near better than peterson in any way

YAYareaRB
06-18-2011, 12:44 PM
To dismiss Peterson's CB skill by calling him a better athlete is madness. Did you even watch the guy? He was a lockdown corner. best we've seen in a while.

proshoota25
06-18-2011, 02:13 PM
im agreeing with some of the sentiment on here..... Dre isnt even in the stratosphere compared to PP. PP was one of the best prospects of all time at defensive back.... however, Dre is a very very good prospect himself and most likely will be a top 15 pick when all is said and done

Cudders
06-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I'd be pleasantly surprised to say the least if Dre Kirkpatrick winds up being a better prospect than Patrick Peterson when all is said and done. Kirkpatrick is a nice corner who I'm looking forward to watching more this season, but Peterson was an absolutely elite prospect given his world-class measureables. You simply can't find that combination of rare size and quick-twitch athleticism anywhere. Peterson's tools alone put him in a league of his own. Kirkpatrick can't compete with that.

That said, I think there's some revisionist history in this thread. Jimmy Smith was the best press-man, lockdown corner in the NCAA last year and it wasn't too close to me. Yes, Peterson was certainly a dominant player at LSU. There's no denying that. However, his production was a function of his freakish physical gifts and insane playmaking ability more than it was a byproduct of pure cover skills. Put it this way, I saw Peterson get beat more often than I saw receivers get the better of Smith. But I also saw Peterson generate more game-changing plays than Smith. I think both are going to be studs in the NFL, but Peterson's cover skills need a decent amount of polishing, while Smith is pretty refined in that regard. Again, where Peterson separates himself from even the very best of prospects is the wealth of translatable tools he possesses. He's an extraordinary specimen dripping with raw talent. If he cleans up his technique and maintains good habits throughout his career, he can be even better than Smith in the press-man, lockdown department, too. If that happens, it's game over for the NFL.

ChiFan24
06-19-2011, 05:09 AM
this is madness...patrick peterson was one of the best DB prospects ive ever seen, dre is no where near better than peterson in any way

Eh...I'm usually pretty good at evaluating corners, so I'm going to stick by what I said. I think if Peterson stays at corner, he'll be good, but not what people make him out to be. More of a Cromartie than a Revis. I don't see the fluid hips I want to see in a corner, I see more of a really big and fast, straight line athlete. I project him as a safety; we'll see how that turns out.

Dre......I haven't seen nearly as much as him, hence the "from what I can tell." My post was more about PP than it was about Dre. When I paid attention to Dre, he stuck out to me as the best player in that secondary, but honestly I had no idea was 6-3. Right off the bat, I'm skeptical.

K Train
06-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Eh...I'm usually pretty good at evaluating corners, so I'm going to stick by what I said. I think if Peterson stays at corner, he'll be good, but not what people make him out to be. More of a Cromartie than a Revis. I don't see the fluid hips I want to see in a corner, I see more of a really big and fast, straight line athlete. I project him as a safety; we'll see how that turns out.

Dre......I haven't seen nearly as much as him, hence the "from what I can tell." My post was more about PP than it was about Dre. When I paid attention to Dre, he stuck out to me as the best player in that secondary, but honestly I had no idea was 6-3. Right off the bat, I'm skeptical.
peterson and cromartie arent even close....i think cro is naturally very smooth in flipping his hips, he just never refined his game or he could have been the best. Peterson might not be silky smooth but he has all the tools to be a monster and if he refines that he'll be among the best. Peterson is very physical and will be able to be that kind of corner in AZ, especially since DRC isnt that kind of corner at all, they are gonna compliment each other real nice.

and dont let him being such a great athlete and being such a rare combo of size and speed take away from him as a corner, hes not THAT stiff, hes not taylor mays like in his technique. a switch to safety could be possible, but i dont think it will be necessary, especially not in the sense of how rolle and jenkins pretty much needed to make that switch in order to be the most effective

ChiFan24
06-19-2011, 01:31 PM
peterson and cromartie arent even close....i think cro is naturally very smooth in flipping his hips, he just never refined his game or he could have been the best. Peterson might not be silky smooth but he has all the tools to be a monster and if he refines that he'll be among the best. Peterson is very physical and will be able to be that kind of corner in AZ, especially since DRC isnt that kind of corner at all, they are gonna compliment each other real nice.

and dont let him being such a great athlete and being such a rare combo of size and speed take away from him as a corner, hes not THAT stiff, hes not taylor mays like in his technique. a switch to safety could be possible, but i dont think it will be necessary, especially not in the sense of how rolle and jenkins pretty much needed to make that switch in order to be the most effective

I guess I'll just have to see it to believe it. He's a great athlete and a fine corner, but I think he was overdrafted based on athleticism that translates better to safety. And I'm not saying he's bad, I had him ranked in the 8-10 range as a safety.

And I didn't mean the Cromartie comparison that specifically; obviously Cromartie could never be a pro bowl safety the way I think Peterson can. I just meant it in the sense of an athlete without refined corner skills...neither has ever impressed me with their ability to shadow a receiver in and out of his breaks.

bucfan12
06-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I think Denard from Nebraska is the best CB in the 2012 draft. Takes gambles but is very physical in man press.

K Train
06-19-2011, 02:20 PM
I think Denard from Nebraska is the best CB in the 2012 draft. Takes gambles but is very physical in man press.

yeah me too....i love me some alfonzo dennard

etk
06-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Is this a serious thread? Even Ray Ray Armstrong is more deserving of his early draft hype than Dre Kirkpatrick.

Woody56
06-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Kirkpatrick is a product of hype, his actual on field play is very average. If he played at a smaller school he would be viewed as a 3rd or later round pick.

ellsy82
06-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Kirkpatrick is a product of hype, his actual on field play is very average. If he played at a smaller school he would be viewed as a 3rd or later round pick.

Couldn't the same be said about Ray Ray Armstrong?