PDA

View Full Version : Barber and Mike F fighting on air.

NY+Giants=NYG
06-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Since it's a slow off season. Here is an archived interview with Tiki, who came on the WFAN, and he pretty much gets destroyed by Mike F.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2F redirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2F d0%2Fd0%2FdY%2Fd1%2Fd0%2Fd0%2FY100_3.MP3%3Fauthtok %3D5561489665741345288_v2eUVTMySl62uGXm6b3N1YMUxqk&podcast_name=Tiki+Barber+%26amp%3B+His+Agent+Mark+ Lepselter&podcast_artist=WFAN&station_id=91&tag=&dcid=CBS.NY

The Great Jonathan Vilma
06-22-2011, 04:54 PM
I actually just finished listening to this as well. Pretty funny. He goes at Tiki pretty good and asks some pretty direct questions.

NY+Giants=NYG
06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
I actually just finished listening to this as well. Pretty funny. He goes at Tiki pretty good and asks some pretty direct questions.

I am glad. I know a lot, if not most giants fans, hate him. It was great though, how Mike just was direct and went at him. Mike may have his share of fans and haters, but this was a good interview. He can ask the tough questions and does it in this interview.

AlexDown
06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
I really didn't understand what Mike was getting at.

He spent the first 20 minutes of the interview trying to get Tiki to admit he failed as a broadcaster, to eventually get an answer to the question - What is the motivation for the comeback?

Mike said Tiki's reasons for his comeback make a big difference, which I didn't really understand. Whether they be monetary or needing to be successful at something, what was Mike trying to get Tiki to admit? That Tiki is being selfish?

Maybe I am missing something, but it just came off as a bitter Giants fan to me. What point was he trying to make?

Ness
06-22-2011, 10:44 PM
I really didn't understand what Mike was getting at.

He spent the first 20 minutes of the interview trying to get Tiki to admit he failed as a broadcaster, to eventually get an answer to the question - What is the motivation for the comeback?

Mike said Tiki's reasons for his comeback make a big difference, which I didn't really understand. Whether they be monetary or needing to be successful at something, what was Mike trying to get Tiki to admit? That Tiki is being selfish?

Maybe I am missing something, but it just came off as a bitter Giants fan to me. What point was he trying to make?

It did seem like the interviewer had an agenda. Even subtle things like using the words "quit" instead of "retire" to describe Tiki leaving football, or "failure" as far as Tiki's broadcasting career was concerned.

That being said it seems like he wasn't just out to get Tiki the entire time. Sounds like they have had a lot of conversations for quite a few years.

Hurricanes25
06-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Haha I love Mike Francesa. He doesn't sugarcoat anything.

FUNBUNCHER
06-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Not a professional interview IMO. The interviewer had an obvious bias against Tiki that he made no effort to disguise.

Why is it some sports talk radio personalities think it's okay to act like fans??

I seriously don't get the hate for Tiki from Giants fans, other than being upset with him for leaving his pregnant wife, which Barber says was unplanned.

The dude gave it all for that franchise on the field and never got in trouble off it.
Sometimes he comes across smug and overly impressed with himself, but arrogance IMO is almost a prerequisite for being a pro football player.

Hurricanes25
06-22-2011, 11:51 PM
I seriously don't get the hate for Tiki from Giants fans, other than being upset with him for leaving his pregnant wife, which Barber says was unplanned.

Tiki has bashed Coughlin and Eli. Not one Giants fan that I know likes the guy.

Ness
06-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Not a professional interview IMO. The interviewer had an obvious bias against Tiki that he made no effort to disguise.

Why is it some sports talk radio personalities think it's okay to act like fans??

The dude gave it all for that franchise on the field and never got in trouble off it.
Sometimes he comes across smug and overly impressed with himself, but arrogance IMO is almost a prerequisite for being a pro football player.

Well I think I can see some of the bitterness from Giants fans. Tiki Barber has always seemed like a guy that had a voice, even when it came to matters that wasn't any of his concern. I believe he caused in uproar years ago with regards to Michael Strahan and his contract situation, which was clearly none of his business...and his teammates made sure he knew that. And like the poster above me mentioned the comments regarding Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin seemed unnecessary. Maybe some of it got blown out of proportion like Tiki has stated, but at the same time he should have just played the "politically correct" card and just say the thing that sounds right...regardless of how Tiki may personal feel, or don't say anything at all. You can't win against the media.

Despite all of this, Tiki is one of the best players to ever wear a Giants uniform and their fans need to realize that. He carried the team for a lot of years and helped them win a lot of games. Terrell Owens can sometimes come off as obnoxious to me in my opinion, but at the same time I realize that he is a great football player and during his tenure with the 49ers he helped us on countless occasions.

And I have to disagree about arrogance as a prerequisite for being a good football player. I'd say possessing confidence and a great work ethic, which you don't have to be arrogant to have. Being arrogant can land you in some trouble.

NY+Giants=NYG
06-23-2011, 10:27 AM
I guess other beat writer thought Tiki was out of his mind and simply didn't get it..

@ChrisCarlinSNY

Tiki telling Mike it's "cowardly" to speak behind someone's back is a joke. Best "unnamed source" in #Giants history. Still doesn't get it.

haha so much so that basically turned revealed Tiki as a unnamed source. So prior to Tiki being vocal, there was always an "unnamed source" who would stir things up. That guy was Tiki revealed now.

We as giants fans hate the guy. Loved him as a player, but I would always boo him. Even his teammates can't stand him. Just ask Antonio P.

Jughead10
06-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Tiki has bashed Coughlin and Eli. Not one Giants fan that I know likes the guy.

Pretty much. He's ungrateful. He thinks he's better than everyone else. Barber was fumbling average/borderline 3rd down RB when Coughlin came to the Giants. Coughlin fixed all of it and made Tiki the great player he was for those 3 years. Tiki gives Coughlin no credit and acts all high and mighty that he doesn't need to play football because he has this amazing journalism career waiting for him. Well that didn't work out. And then what he did to his wife just proves even more how ungrateful he is.

I think he can help a team in a complimentary role as he can do a lot of little things that younger RBs either can't or won't do. However you do have to question his heart. Obviously he's doing this because he needs money and not because he loves the game. Otherwise he wouldn't have quit in his prime.

Giantsfan1080
06-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Yeah he was a great player but the way he retired to make the season about himself upset a lot of people. To make matters worse the way he threw Eli under the bus upset a lot of fans because there was absolutely no reason for it. He did it just to make a name for himself because he was starting out. Last, he's just a terrible human being so it's very easy to not like him even though he was a great player for us for 5 years. This picture says it all about his TV career:

http://images.broadwayworld.com/upload/22599/tn-500_01.jpg

bigbluedefense
06-23-2011, 12:03 PM

....do we really need to explain why we hate Tiki? Isn't it pretty obvious? How many reasons do you want? Bc the list is long and distinguished.

Halsey
06-23-2011, 12:22 PM
When Tiki was still a Giant, the year before they won a Super Bowl, Giants fans and media sided with him when he criticized Tom Coughlin. Now that he's down, they're all kicking Tiki.

Jughead10
06-23-2011, 12:24 PM
When Tiki was still a Giant, the year before they won a Super Bowl, Giants fans and media sided with him when he criticized Tom Coughlin. Now that he down, they're all kicking Tiki.

The media did. But not the fans. At least not the smart ones. The media liked Tiki because they could always go to him for a good quote or dirt. On the other hand the media has never liked Coughlin. Because he doesn't paly favorites with any of them.

bigbluedefense
06-23-2011, 12:26 PM
When Tiki was still a Giant, the year before they won a Super Bowl, Giants fans and media sided with him when he criticized Tom Coughlin. Now that he down, they're all kicking Tiki.

The difference is: Coughlin never saved the fans from losing their jobs. He did that for Tiki.

Tiki should have been the first person to defend Coughlin, instead he was the first to trash him.

NY+Giants=NYG
06-23-2011, 12:42 PM
The difference is: Coughlin never saved the fans from losing their jobs. He did that for Tiki.

Tiki should have been the first person to defend Coughlin, instead he was the first to trash him.

Exactly! He was a scat back with a fumbling problem, who may not have been around, however Coughlin thought he could fix him, and helped him with holding the ball high and tight. It was after that, Tiki became successful, and then went "hollywood" in regards to his personality.

He is getting what he deserves.

Giantsfan1080
06-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Ohh also it was really cry baby like for Tiki to have his agent on his phone also during that interview. Man up.

scottyboy
07-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Well I think I can see some of the bitterness from Giants fans. Tiki Barber has always seemed like a guy that had a voice, even when it came to matters that wasn't any of his concern. I believe he caused in uproar years ago with regards to Michael Strahan and his contract situation, which was clearly none of his business...and his teammates made sure he knew that. And like the poster above me mentioned the comments regarding Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin seemed unnecessary. Maybe some of it got blown out of proportion like Tiki has stated, but at the same time he should have just played the "politically correct" card and just say the thing that sounds right...regardless of how Tiki may personal feel, or don't say anything at all. You can't win against the media.

Despite all of this, Tiki is one of the best players to ever wear a Giants uniform and their fans need to realize that. He carried the team for a lot of years and helped them win a lot of games. Terrell Owens can sometimes come off as obnoxious to me in my opinion, but at the same time I realize that he is a great football player and during his tenure with the 49ers he helped us on countless occasions.

And I have to disagree about arrogance as a prerequisite for being a good football player. I'd say possessing confidence and a great work ethic, which you don't have to be arrogant to have. Being arrogant can land you in some trouble.

Tiki Barber is not even a top 20 Giants player of all time. One of the best to wear the uniform? He literally had 3 great years, after being an average scat back who fumbled every game, and then quit when he hit his stride. But yea, one of the best Giants ever. It crippled the franchise when he left

FUNBUNCHER
07-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Tiki Barber is not even a top 20 Giants player of all time. One of the best to wear the uniform? He literally had 3 great years, after being an average scat back who fumbled every game, and then quit when he hit his stride. But yea, one of the best Giants ever. It crippled the franchise when he left

Dude, I have no love or hate for Tiki, but let's try to stick to the facts about his career.

Tiki Barber is the GREATEST runningback in Giants football history.

In his 10 year career, he rushed for over 1000 yards six times, and over 1200+ yards 5 times.

That little 'scat back' had four seasons with over 300+ carries; look around today's NFL and see what current crop of NFL backs have toted the rock more than 300 times in a year.

And it's not just his rushing numbers, over 10,000 yards and 22nd alltime in NFL history, it's his receiving that made him a difference maker on Sundays.

Tiki had nearly 600 catches for his career, HOF numbers for a runningback.

Barber has more career receptions (586/582) than Ladainian Tomlinson, a lock 1st ballot HOFer who's still chasing stats.

I get the hate directed at the guy, even if at times it seems over the top, but his production on the field is written in stone.

He was an elite RB before the Coughlin was ever hired IMO.

Not one of the top 20 players in Giants history??

If there's a RB in your top 20, it has to be Barber.

Losing Joe Montana didn't 'cripple' the 49ers either, but that doesn't diminish who he was as a QB.

bigbluedefense
07-03-2011, 11:13 AM
The Giants have a very rich history. I don't think Tiki is a top 20 player in team history.

That's not to say he wasn't a great player, he is a borderline HOFer (hall of very good), but the Giants had a TON of great players.

Tiki was a very good back with fumbling issues before Coughlin. During his time with Coughlin, he put 3 years together that were HOF worthy.

When looking at his whole body of work, I don't know if he ever makes it in. With the way he destroyed his image, he probably never does.

scottyboy
07-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I think funbuncher, you're missing the fact that he fumbled 53 times in his career. FIFTY THREE TIMES. That's 2 less than his career touchdowns. Yes, tiki was a great runner for us, but you have to look at the stat breakdown: he fumbled 9 times in his last 3 years (coughlin fixed him) opposed to the 35 fumbles he had the 4 years previous. And don't give me crap about the amount of touches making him a workhorse. Yes, he was an incredibly hard worker and tough RB, but there were RB's getting those touches back then, the 2 back system really has evolved over the last 4 years or so. Throw in the fact he was an arrogant douche, fought with Strahan and called out Eli and Coughlin, he was not a top 20 Giant. In terms of talent, consistancy and intangibles, he wasn't. Especially when you're throwing out guys like Simms, Banks, Carson...some other pretty good LB'er we had who wore 50 something. He could possibly break top 20 for the Giants, if I ended up making a list, but to say he was one of the greatest implies top 5-10, which he most certainly is not.

and the crippling comment was more of a reference that tiki was so important that when he left we won the super bowl the next year.
The funny thing is, when tiki was putting up these seasons and Giants fans were asking about if he was a HOF'er, everyone came out of the woodwork saying it was dumb and he only had 3 years of HOF play, which is true

FUNBUNCHER
07-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I wasn't arguing that Barber should be considered for the HOF, I wanted to show it's kind of absurd to argue he's not one of the Giants top 20 players alltime.

Being the best RB in the history of the franchise and a borderline HOFer, well, let's just say I'd love to see that top 20 list.

Since the SB era, (post-1966), unless you frontload that list with defensive players, the Giants haven't really had consistent, year to year, dominant offensive players like Barber playing for them.

Dating back to the 1930s, the Giants have like 23-24 former players in their Ring Of Honor, Barber included, and he's had a more superlative career than half of them.

EDIT: About the fumbles, that's really overblown I think.

53 fumbles in 10 years, compared to HOFers like Dorsett(90), Franco Harris(90), Walter Payton(86), Erci Dickerson(78), and Jim Brown(57), Tiki in hindsight is being ripped for something many great RBs have had problems with.

scottyboy
07-03-2011, 11:35 AM
I think we both exaggerated with our statements. You said Barber is one of the greatest Giants of all time which is just not true by any standards. I said he's not top 20, which is a bit of a stretch. Throw guys like Huff, Carson, Banks, LT, Simms, Title, Strahan, Bavaro, Tarkenton, Gifford, and Robustelli are 10 guys right off the top of my head that are better than Tiki. Hell, I think by the end of his career, Eli could be. And there are some guys I'm sure I'm forgetting about and could be debated. (Toomer, Armstead). So while he may crack the top 20, he sure isn't one of the best giants off all time

and either way, by throwing his team mates and coaches under the bus after they helped resurrect his career and just quitting on the team midyear no less, makes him a total doucher and is absolute reason for giants gans to hate him/hate on him

bigbluedefense
07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I wasn't arguing that Barber should be considered for the HOF, I wanted to show it's kind of absurd to argue he's not one of the Giants top 20 players alltime.

Being the best RB in the history of the franchise and a borderline HOFer, well, let's just say I'd love to see that top 20 list.

Since the SB era, (post-1966), unless you frontload that list with defensive players, the Giants haven't really had consistent, year to year, dominant offensive players like Barber playing for them.

Dating back to the 1930s, the Giants have like 23-24 former players in their Ring Of Honor, Barber included, and he's had a more superlative career than half of them.

The Giants have over 27 HOF players. And more to come (Strahan is a lock). So I think it's safe to say Tiki isn't a top 20 player in team history.

He was a very good player. I won't question that. But he's not going to be a HOFer, and that takes him out of top 20 discussion.

Halsey
07-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Many of the Giants HoFers were guys who played back when there were like 3 NFL teams and only white guys could play.

bigbluedefense
07-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Football existed before 1995.

Even if you don't want to accept that all our HOF players are better than Tiki, I can make an argument for many non HOFers who are better than him in Giant history.

Phil Simms
Carl Banks
Mark Bavaro
Jessie Armstead
Strahan (pending HOFer but not in yet)

Maybe Amani Toomer. Maybe.
Maybe Phillipe Sparks.

The Giants have had a lot of good players over the years. To say Tiki is a top 20 player in team history is very short sighted.

FUNBUNCHER
07-03-2011, 12:08 PM
The Giants have over 27 HOF players. And more to come (Strahan is a lock). So I think it's safe to say Tiki isn't a top 20 player in team history.

He was a very good player. I won't question that. But he's not going to be a HOFer, and that takes him out of top 20 discussion.

It's sketchy to count guys like Larry Csonka, Fran Tarkenton and Jim Thorpe as Giants HOFERs, considering most of their careers were played on other teams.

It's like a Skins fan claiming Sam Huff is one of 'their' HOFers; Huff was a HOFer who played for the SKins, but his bones were made wearing a NY Giants uni.

Joe Guyon,(1920-27) was a better RB than Barber?? Frank Gifford?? Ken Strong(1929-47)?? All these guys are HOFers, but you'd really struggle arguing they were better football players.

I respect the history of the game before the SB era, but I have a hard time putting any offensive player, except Thorpe, who played pre-1950 ahead of Barber on a top 20 Giants list.

The Giants have a ton of players who are in the HOF who played in the leather helmet era.

EDIT: Mark Bavaro clearly is beloved by Giants faithful and for two years was arguably the best TE in football, but other than two SB rings, one game in which he was a non-factor, I can't say he had a demonstrably better career than Barber.

After his knee(?) injury, Bavaro never regained his total game as a receiver and blocker.

bigbluedefense
07-03-2011, 12:14 PM
You gotta respect the eras. Those guys were more dominant during their era than Tiki was in his.

You gotta respect the 2 way athlete too. It was a different game then, you can't use it against them. Gifford wasn't just a great RB, he was a great defender too. Many old school football guys will tell you that today's players are too situational as players to be considered HOFers.

It's a 2 way street.

FUNBUNCHER
07-03-2011, 12:39 PM
You gotta respect the eras. Those guys were more dominant during their era than Tiki was in his.

You gotta respect the 2 way athlete too. It was a different game then, you can't use it against them. Gifford wasn't just a great RB, he was a great defender too. Many old school football guys will tell you that today's players are too situational as players to be considered HOFers.

It's a 2 way street.

True, but not all of them were two way guys.

Some of those players have stats to look at, and at this late date I have a hard time understanding what made a few of them Canton worthy athletes.

That's why my cutoff was the SB era(1967 forward).

In the last 47 years, there haven't been many football players for the Giants IMO better than Barber.

Listing Phillippi Sparks as a 'maybe' made me laugh.

I can't even think of a player who Skins fans regard as a great player but many still don't like.

Oh, except for Clinton Portis!!lol

scottyboy
07-03-2011, 01:00 PM
so funbuncher is now ignoring me say how tiki may be top 20, but how extremly wrong you were saying he was one of the greatest giants of all time

FUNBUNCHER
07-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I didn't contradict myself.

I said Barber was the greatest RB in Giants history and is a top 20 player for the NYG franchise.

I'm still waiting to see 'the list'.

cmarq83
07-03-2011, 01:12 PM

There are 27 players who played for the Giants in the hall of fame, but guys like Larry Czonka and Jim Thorpe didn't have more significant Giants careers than Tiki Barber did.

scottyboy
07-03-2011, 01:32 PM
then that was my mistake, that was ness who called tiki one of the greatest giants of all time, which is nonsense.

and true, we can take down guys like czonka and thorpe, but Tarkenton absolutely had a more impactful career for the giants. he had what? 4 or 5 very good seasons where as tiki had 3.

and now we're going back and saying that some of the old timers in the HOF shouldn't be in there.

Huff, Carson, Banks, LT, Simms, Title, Strahan, Bavaro, Tarkenton, Gifford, and Robustelli are the 11 off the top of my head I listed earlier, easily ahead of tiki with no debate. I think by the time their careers end, Eli and Tuck will be there as well. I really think Toomer and Armstead are ahead of Tiki, making it 15 right there, without digging deep in the past outside of Gifford and Robustelli.

George Martin and Leonard Marshall are probably ahead of him as well. Along with perhaps Keith Hamilton and to show more current love with the big uglies, Chris Snee. Hell Rodney Hampton was just almost up there with Tiki, especially considering he played about 3 years less and had way less carries.

I'm not doubting Tiki's talent...at least not for those 3 seasons he had. But I think you have to take into account some intangibles along with winning and his HUGE amount of fumbles if you want to label someone as a top 20 player. He's a borderline top 20 player. He may be the greatest RB the Giants have had, especially statistically, but he's hardly a shoe-in for top 20 player.

bigbluedefense
07-03-2011, 02:26 PM
True, but not all of them were two way guys.

Some of those players have stats to look at, and at this late date I have a hard time understanding what made a few of them Canton worthy athletes.

That's why my cutoff was the SB era(1967 forward).

In the last 47 years, there haven't been many football players for the Giants IMO better than Barber.

Listing Phillippi Sparks as a 'maybe' made me laugh.

I can't even think of a player who Skins fans regard as a great player but many still don't like.

Oh, except for Clinton Portis!!lol

20 years from now, you're gonna bump into a young pup that's going to say the exact same thing about players from this era.

Think about that. Does that diminish what today's players are doing? Of course not. Why? Will the future guys be more athletic, have better stats etc? Of course they will.

Does that make today's players and their accomplishments irrelevant? Of course not.

So why do the same thing to players back then? You gotta look at dominance during an era when evaluating football players.

For Tiki to be a top 20 Giant of all time, he basically has to be a HOFer. And he's not. He had 3 dominant years, the rest of his career was very good but not HOF worthy.

I think Terrell Davis deserves to go in before Tiki does. And neither will probably get the nod. Davis might get a chance later on, but I highly doubt Tiki will ever be a HOFer.