PDA

View Full Version : Have the Ravens/Steelers become the fiercest rivalry in the NFL now?

Ness
06-23-2011, 01:59 AM
For practically a decade it's been Colts/Patriots, but for the last couple of years I've really looked forward to the Ravens/Steelers games. They play each other twice, sometimes three times a year. Each team has also been pretty competitive the last three years. And a lot of the trash talk really seems to add more fuel to the fire. Never really got that with Colts/Patriots...at least not as much from the teams themselves via the media. Like with the recent incident of Woodley and Flacco. So what do you think? Has this taken over as the rivalry to look forward to each year? Or is it still Colts/Patriots? Or some other team?

hawkeye123
06-23-2011, 02:05 AM
The Patriots/Jets seem to have started a good rivalry as well.

Ness
06-23-2011, 04:14 AM
The Patriots/Jets seem to have started a good rivalry as well.

That's true.

yo123
06-23-2011, 04:15 AM
I think the Pats/Colts thing is more fan created, but with Ravens/Steelers both of those teams legitimately hate each other. Give me Pitt/Baltimore as the best rivalry.

Ness
06-23-2011, 04:41 AM
I think the Pats/Colts thing is more fan created, but with Ravens/Steelers both of those teams legitimately hate each other. Give me Pitt/Baltimore as the best rivalry.

Yeah I could see that. Pittsburgh and Baltimore certainly aren't the best teams in the league, and I think for a few years that was thought of when it came to the Colts and Patriots circa 2003-2005.

Gay Ork Wang
06-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Not sure. For it being a real great rivalry, the Ravens need to win more

jack1077
06-23-2011, 07:34 AM
It is probably the most physical.

killxswitch
06-23-2011, 07:50 AM
As much as I hate the Pats and always look forward to the Colts knocking them down a peg (and hate it when the Pats find some underhanded way to steal a win), yes, Steelers/Ravens is the fiercest rivalry. I agree Colts/Pats is more of a fan thing. With the Steelers and Ravens the players legitimately want to go kill each other on the field.

K Train
06-23-2011, 08:18 AM
its only a rivalry in the regular season, in the playoffs its just a steeler win :-)

BmoreBlackByrdz
06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
I definitely think it's a much better rivalry that Colts vs. Patriots (which is really Brady vs. Manning)

Jvig43
06-23-2011, 09:22 AM
I definitely think it's a much better rivalry that Colts vs. Patriots (which is really Brady vs. Manning)

But at least the outcomes are exciting, Ravens steelers are pretty much a one sided affair :) And killswitch you take that back! Brady's hair will not tolerate such blasphemy!

Ravens1991
06-23-2011, 09:30 AM
It has the most physical games, but whenever who has the biggest rivlary comes up it turns into a giant butt hurt homer fest.

Jughead10
06-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Agreed. There is nothing fierce about the Pats vs. Colts rivalry. Especially with the Colts style of play. Although the Steelers have pretty much owned in games that Ben has started. A bit one sided.

bigbluedefense
06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
It's very one sided. If Ben is playing, you can almost guarantee the Steelers pull out the W.

Ben has owned the Ravens. But they are very enjoyable games to watch. So are Colts/Patriots for different reasons.

Steelers/Ravens is a blood bath. Pats/Colts is a chess match. And Pats/Jets is a combination of both blood and chess. That is developing into a great rivalry as well.

And for homer purposes, Eagles/Giants is a dandy too. Although Philly has dominated that one recently as well.

Jughead10
06-23-2011, 12:22 PM
And for homer purposes, Eagles/Giants is a dandy too. Although Philly has dominated that one recently as well.

http://www.snarkyhawk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/empty_trophy_case.jpg

bigbluedefense
06-23-2011, 12:23 PM

that picture never gets old.

And the whole Lady Gaga thing is going to make this year even better. Can't wait.

Ravens1991
06-23-2011, 01:11 PM
The thing that is so frustrating is we always shoot ourselves in the foot this game. The steelers are just more composed, have a better coaching staff and better QB play. It makes me wanna cry but I have to admit it.

diabsoule
06-23-2011, 01:35 PM
I always get excited for Packers/Bears, although I think Steelers/Ravens and Jets/Pats are the two marquee rivalries currently in the NFL

Hines
06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
1) Steelers/Ravens
2) Bears/Packers
3) Eagles/Giants
4) Jets/Patriots
5) Patriots/Colts

My top 5 rivalries right now.

killxswitch
06-23-2011, 02:24 PM
But at least the outcomes are exciting, Ravens steelers are pretty much a one sided affair :) And killswitch you take that back! Brady's hair will not tolerate such blasphemy!

http://i.imgur.com/x9akM.jpg

LonghornsLegend
06-23-2011, 03:37 PM
It's very one sided. If Ben is playing, you can almost guarantee the Steelers pull out the W.

For me that doesn't take away from the rivalry or the games themselves. They are almost always a 3 point game, or one TD apart. Hard hitting, trash talk before the game, and a tight game throughout.

Besides I really disagree with it being very one sided, that paints a picture like it's something else. Last year they were split before a playoff game that went down to a TD, the two games before were decided by a FG.

09 and 07 it was a split, 06 was all Baltimore and 08 was all Pittsburgh. In 2009 both games were again decided by a FG, which ended up making 4 straight games decided by a FG by both teams before the playoff game.

Even in 2008 when Pittsburgh won all 3 games(including the playoff game), they won all 3 by a total of 16 points. From 2003-2005 both games were split.

Not sure how you can get that it's very 1 sided if were looking at history. I don't know what it is all-time, but it's been anything but 1 sided. This is the best rivalry in football right now for me pretty easily.

Hines
06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
For me that doesn't take away from the rivalry or the games themselves. They are almost always a 3 point game, or one TD apart. Hard hitting, trash talk before the game, and a tight game throughout.

Besides I really disagree with it being very one sided, that paints a picture like it's something else. Last year they were split before a playoff game that went down to a TD, the two games before were decided by a FG.

09 and 07 it was a split, 06 was all Baltimore and 08 was all Pittsburgh. In 2009 both games were again decided by a FG, which ended up making 4 straight games decided by a FG by both teams before the playoff game.

Even in 2008 when Pittsburgh won all 3 games(including the playoff game), they won all 3 by a total of 16 points. From 2003-2005 both games were split.

Not sure how you can get that it's very 1 sided if were looking at history. I don't know what it is all-time, but it's been anything but 1 sided. This is the best rivalry in football right now for me pretty easily.

Last year and in '09, the Ravens beat the Steelers without Big Ben. When Big Ben is starting against the Ravens, it is the Steelers winning that game. When the Steelers' back up is in, the Ravens win.

K Train
06-23-2011, 03:46 PM
the backup gives a noble effort, but always come up short

LonghornsLegend
06-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Last year and in '09, the Ravens beat the Steelers without Big Ben. When Big Ben is starting against the Ravens, it is the Steelers winning that game. When the Steelers' back up is in, the Ravens win.

Maybe, but I'm just speaking on the actual W/L record of what has actually happened in the games in the past.

killxswitch
06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
The Colts took a few years to get over the hump and start beating the Pats. Maybe it will be the same for the Ravens.

niel89
06-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Ravens/Steelers is the best in my opinion, but I am a Ravens fan though. Since 05 Steeler have won 8 and Ravens have won 6. Only 3 of the last 14 games have been soundly won (by more than 10) by either team. 10 of those game were either a touchdown or less, with 7 if those being 3 points or less (3 games being OT games).

Consistently close, tough, and physical games. Ben is the better QB and the games reflect that, but I don't buy that Ben = automatic win.

Its a QB league and Flacco need to continue to grow and develop for the Ravens to win more.

Ness
06-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Its a QB league and Flacco need to continue to grow and develop for the Ravens to win more.

Was it really his fault for that last loss though? I wasn't in the country at the time, so I couldn't see the game, but when I came back and from the research I did it seems like players like T.J. Houshmanzadeh kept dropping balls or Ray Rice fumbled at at crucial time.

bam bam
06-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Was it really his fault for that last loss though? I wasn't in the country at the time, so I couldn't see the game, but when I came back and from the research I did it seems like players like T.J. Houshmanzadeh kept dropping balls or Ray Rice fumbled at at crucial time.

And Boldin dropping a TD pass in the endzone

BmoreBlackByrdz
06-24-2011, 07:39 AM
yes, it's not all entirely on Flacco, we as a team need to find ways to beat the Steelers with Big Ben. Here's a quote that I completely agree with

There’s no arguing that Flacco hasn’t had his best outings against Pittsburgh. He’s 2-6 versus the Steelers in his career. But let’s put them in perspective.

Flacco had a couple tough games in 2008, particularly in the AFC Championship. Chalk that up to a rookie facing a top-flight defense on a huge stage.

In 2009 things changed. Flacco threw for 289 yards and a touchdown (100.8 QB rating) against the Steelers at M&T Bank Stadium. In Pittsburgh, he threw two touchdowns (would have had three had Derrick Mason not dropped one) and posted a 83.1 QB rating.

Last year he went into Pittsburgh and delivered a game-winning strike in the final minutes. He threw for 256 yards that day – not too shabby.

A blindside sack/fumble in the regular season and one bad quarter in the playoffs last year have tainted his performances against the Steelers. He sailed a pass too long to Todd Heap and a fumbled snap after that.

But do you remember how Flacco marched the Ravens down Pittsburgh’s boisterous field in the fourth quarter and delivered a spot-on pass to Boldin in the end zone, which would have given Baltimore a late lead had it not been dropped?

Also, the argument that Flacco hasn’t beaten Roethlisberger is irrelevant. It’s the Ravens who haven’t beaten Big Ben since 2006, not Flacco

bigbluedefense
06-24-2011, 03:40 PM

I just can't take the Ravens wins seriously when they do it against the backup qb. And even then it's a close game, which shouldn't be the case when you're going against the backup qb.

Whenever Ben plays, its a Steeler W. To me that makes it lopsided in terms of wins/losses.

But yeah I definitely agree that the games are close regardless and always enjoyable to watch. It's always a nail biter. But when Ben is playing, I'm putting my money on the Steelers, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon quite honestly bc I question Flacco's ability to handle pressure moments and their WR core just plain sucks.

I expect the Ravens defense to overtake Pittsburgh's this year though. If Sergio can give them anything, watch out. Jimmy Smith is a stud, he's going to give them a shutdown CB, their dline is great, solid ILBs, they just need a pass rush opposite of Suggs.

If I were them, I'd get Jonathan Joseph in FA to give them 2 stud CBs, and just blitz more to make up for the lack of pass rush opposite Suggs.

But maaan that WR core sucks. They need speed at WR in the worst way.

K Train
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
torrey smith has some wheels on him.

and i dont think its irrelevant to say that flacco has never beat a ben-led team, cause thats something hes gonna be measured against until he does, he was drafted into a very friendly situation for a young QB, as was ben...so until he can beat ben a few times and get a few rings its absolutely relevant imo

A Perfect Score
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I just can't take the Ravens wins seriously when they do it against the backup qb. And even then it's a close game, which shouldn't be the case when you're going against the backup qb.

Whenever Ben plays, its a Steeler W. To me that makes it lopsided in terms of wins/losses.

But yeah I definitely agree that the games are close regardless and always enjoyable to watch. It's always a nail biter. But when Ben is playing, I'm putting my money on the Steelers, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon quite honestly bc I question Flacco's ability to handle pressure moments and their WR core just plain sucks.

I expect the Ravens defense to overtake Pittsburgh's this year though. If Sergio can give them anything, watch out. Jimmy Smith is a stud, he's going to give them a shutdown CB, their dline is great, solid ILBs, they just need a pass rush opposite of Suggs.

If I were them, I'd get Jonathan Joseph in FA to give them 2 stud CBs, and just blitz more to make up for the lack of pass rush opposite Suggs.

But maaan that WR core sucks. They need speed at WR in the worst way.

Torrey Smith was drafted for that exact reason. I'm really excited to see how he contributes to the offense this season, because the window for this team is closing quickly. Lewis and Reed probably both only have 1 or 2 more years in them, and we don't have heirs at either position capable of coming in and playing at a high level. I'd love to see us go after Jon Joseph, but we just gave Suggs an enormous contract and Ngata is going to get absolutely PAID when the CBA gets ironed out. Yanda is also a UFA who we will retain, but we wont pay Gaither, especially since hes going to get top tier LT money from someone. Honestly, I'm more concerned about our offensive line then I am about our WRs.

Ness
06-24-2011, 05:58 PM
But when Ben is playing, I'm putting my money on the Steelers, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon quite honestly bc I question Flacco's ability to handle pressure moments and their WR core just plain sucks.

Why is this so?

Ravens1991
06-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Flacco has been inconsistent under the pressure during his career. There have been times when he looked great but there has been times when he shat the bed. He just inst really good when he gets blitzed, thats why im so pissed Gaither is gonna get out of here. The whole way we handled Gaither is just ridic.

Xonraider
06-25-2011, 10:56 PM
It's the best game that ends 13-10 in the season.

Jvig43
06-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Thinking about how these games are the hardest hitting, I just feel like the NFL is going to change some rule to prevent these teams from facing eachother to prevent injuries.

AntoinCD
06-26-2011, 12:55 AM
I really think that Baltimore need to beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs for this to be a true great rivalry. The Patriots/Colts was always a great series but until Indy beat the Pats in the playoffs it never really took off.

jannypan
07-02-2011, 02:15 AM
The Patriots/Jets seem to have started a good rivalry as well.WOW Items (http://www.itemah.com/)
RS Gold (http://www.kcq.com/Runescape.gold)
Tera Online (http://www.tera2u.com/)

LonghornsLegend
07-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Sucks that the big WR's they went out to go get dropped crucial passes that could have easily sealed the game. Now we have to hear about how Flacco can't beat Pittsburgh. Ben got a huge catch from the late round rookie Antonio Brown, Ravens got burned by their 2 high priced FA WR's. Both QB's made great plays, but it's still gonna always fall on Flacco in the end which sucks for him.

Ness
07-02-2011, 03:42 AM
Sucks that the big WR's they went out to go get dropped crucial passes that could have easily sealed the game. Now we have to hear about how Flacco can't beat Pittsburgh. Ben got a huge catch from the late round rookie Antonio Brown, Ravens got burned by their 2 high priced FA WR's. Both QB's made great plays, but it's still gonna always fall on Flacco in the end which sucks for him.

Yes. It really seemed that Flacco had to make up for everything in that game. And doing that against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh during the playoffs is really asking for a lot. I mean if his receivers are dropping passes and his backs are fumbling the ball...there is only so much Flacco can do against a great defense like that.

ellsy82
07-18-2011, 05:51 PM
A perennial thorn in Pittsburgh's side. I love the storyline about having two of the hardest hitting defenses in the same division, but damn, I hate playing them two/three times a year. You KNOW someone is going to get injured or dinged up.

Ravens1991
07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
A perennial thorn in Pittsburgh's side.

The sad thing is thats all Baltimore is. We are always a half step behind you guys it seems like.

BaLLiN
07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Saints vs Falcons is gunna be interesting once atlanta can improve their D.

edit: and regarding the steelers vs ravens, those games are my favorite to watch. I understand most casual fans love scoring, but watching a great defense let alone two is intense, Rice and Mendenhall are also hard and fierce runners

Dam8610
07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Depends on how you define "fiercest". If that means hard hitting defense and a bunch of animosity between the two teams that they're happy to let get to the media, then absolutely it's Ravens vs. Steelers. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a high quality football game that (unfortunately) always seems to come down to the wire between two of the best teams in the NFL, then for me, that's still Colts vs. Patriots.

SickwithIt1010
07-18-2011, 08:54 PM

http://brandnewcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Desean-Jackson-punt-return.jpg

ellsy82
07-19-2011, 01:03 AM
The sad thing is thats all Baltimore is. We are always a half step behind you guys it seems like.

Dude...you guys are way more than that. When we play, its a blood bath. Our players hate eachother so much its almost a rite of passage to survive a game without injury. I have the dual utmost respect and hatred for the Baltimore Raven franchise. I gave my Raven co-worker a 2009 cerimonial terrible towel when we booted your ass outta the playoffs. He took it in stride.

Point is, don't sell yourself short. You've got a damn fine team, further illustrated by your continual appearances in AFC championship games over the past few years. Chin up, buttercup.