PDA

View Full Version : Donovan McNabb returning to the Eagles?

Halsey
06-25-2011, 11:31 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6693654

I've been thinking a return to the Eagles would be a smart move for McNabb, assuming Kevin Kolb gets traded. Vick is never a lock to stay healthy for a full season and McNabb obviously knows the Eagles' system. But will the Eagles want him back? They may want a younger backup to groom as a potential future starter. I personally don't but the idea that McNabb will be in high demand as a starter for some team. He's not good enough to lead a veteran team to anything special and young teams don't need a short term QB.

EricCartmann
06-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Why would McNabb want to be a backup? I see him going some place where he will come in and start right away. Maybe to the Titans, or even Carolina, I think even the Raiders would hand him the start

LonghornsLegend
06-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Lol he wants to play. Why would he go be a guaranteed back-up when there are a ton of teams who would let him start? At least give him a good chance to start or compete. He'd at least do Minnesota where he could start the entire year before Ponder takes over, on Philly he goes immediately back to the bench.

Halsey
06-25-2011, 02:27 PM
I want to start too. That doesn't mean there's a market for me as a starter. I don't think McNabb is as good anymore as many people think. He lost his starting job to Rex Grossman last season. Teams like Carolina and Tennessee didn't draft QBs so they could turn around and bring in Donovan McNabb. What's McNabb going to do for those teams? Help them win 1 or 2 more games than they would without him? That's pointless.

bigbluedefense
06-25-2011, 03:28 PM
He lost his starting job bc the Redskins are...the Redskins. Or as I like to call them, the gift that keeps on giving.

He'll start somewhere this year. I still think Minnesota is the front runner to get him, but Tennessee sounds like a possible destination as well.

Halsey
06-25-2011, 03:37 PM
He lost his starting job bc the Redskins are...the Redskins. Or as I like to call them, the gift that keeps on giving.

He'll start somewhere this year. I still think Minnesota is the front runner to get him, but Tennessee sounds like a possible destination as well.

Yeah, the Redskins are the Redskins because they make moves like trading a 2nd rounder and a 3rd or 4th(not sure) for Donovan McNabb. He wasnt very good when he played for them.

bigbluedefense
06-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah, the Redskins are the Redskins because they make moves like trading a 2nd rounder and a 3rd or 4th(not sure) for Donovan McNabb. He wasnt very good when he played for them.

McNabb was not the problem in Washington.

The problem was..he wasn't the solution either. And that's why he was scapegoated.

To be blunt, the Redskins are one of the worst run organizations in the league.

niel89
06-25-2011, 03:56 PM
McNabb really isn't that good, but there will be a couple teams that will try him out as a starter. As mentioned, Minnesota would be a good fit. Yeah they drafted a Qb, but McNabb is a better option to win right now. Ponder isn't going to jump in and lead them to the playoffs immediately. If they think that their window is closing then its worth it to take a shot.

Monomach
06-25-2011, 08:34 PM
The guy's a starter in this league. No way would he go be a backup in Philly.

If Washington had half a brain, they wouldn't have burned that bridge.

Bucs_Rule
06-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Given the Philly's fans and media treatment of McNabb Philly would be one of the last places he'd want to go.

Ness
06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I want to start too. That doesn't mean there's a market for me as a starter. I don't think McNabb is as good anymore as many people think. He lost his starting job to Rex Grossman last season. Teams like Carolina and Tennessee didn't draft QBs so they could turn around and bring in Donovan McNabb. What's McNabb going to do for those teams? Help them win 1 or 2 more games than they would without him? That's pointless.

You can do a lot worse than Donovan McNabb as a starter. There are at least going to be around 8 teams that may want to take their chances with Donovan. That's a good amount. He's going to get a starting job practically handed to him. One bad season in Washington of all places doesn't seal his fate.

Jvig43
06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Haha no market for Halsey to be a starting QB = no market for McNabb.

Terrific.

Nalej
06-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Lol Makes sense if you dont think about it

Halsey
06-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Actually, I think a team might be better off starting me than McNabb. At least starting me for a season is a guarantee the team will get Andrew Luck. McNabb might help a team win 4 or 5 games.

STsACE
06-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Actually, I think a team might be better off starting me than McNabb. At least starting me for a season is a guarantee the team will get Andrew Luck. McNabb might help a team win 4 or 5 games.

From some of your recent posts, this is the only one that noone could argue with you over.

PACKmanN
06-26-2011, 07:04 AM
palmer for mcnabb, deal deal

FUNBUNCHER
06-26-2011, 09:10 AM
DOnovan wasn't that bad last season for the Skins, despite what Kyle/Shanny might say in retrospect.

The only number that was down for D Mac was his TD totals. For 13 games as the starter, throwing for over 3300 yards, 58% completions, 14 TDs and 15 INTs, considering the lack of top tier skill position talent or a solid Oline, I'd grade McNabb's 2010 season a solid B/B-.

The reason he's out of D.C. is because he and Kyle clashed, coaching D Mac like he was a rookie instead of 12 year, pro bowl vet.

I think he ends up in Minny and pushes them into the playoffs.

Don't believe the hype, McNabb's tank is far from 'empty'.

OSUGiants17
06-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Am I the only one that could see McNabb going to Miami?

EricCartmann
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Am I the only one that could see McNabb going to Miami?

Good observation. It seems they lost all confidence in Chad Henne and was going to ditch him completely until Pennington got hurt. When he came back in he was worse than before. You would think a benching would get your head straight, but it did not.

descendency
06-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I'd rather take my chance on a UDFA than McNabb.

bigbluedefense
06-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Having the worst defense in the NFL didn't help McNabb either. When you have absolutely no offensive line and mediocre at best talent at WR, it's hard to put up good numbers or even compete when you are down and forced to throw.

And not to mention, wtf are the Redskins thinking when they have Beck and Grossman as his replacement? Really Shannahan?

That only makes sense if they plan on sabotaging the season and getting Luck. If that doesn't happen then this is beyond stupid on their part.

That's why the Redskins are the Redskins. Good luck competing in the NFC East this year with John Beck at qb.

bucfan12
06-26-2011, 12:58 PM
McNabb got the shaft last year. Seriously, with the organization being run by the Shannahans and the GM is Bruce Allen, who absolutely failed as a GM in Tampa.

Shannahan isn't as good of a coach as people may think. He could never develop a QB after Elway and the Broncos were never serious contenders for a Super Bowl once Elway left. Remember, it was Elway, not Shanny.

SeanTaylorRIP
06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
To be fair in 3 starts Rex Grossman passed for 840 yards, 7 TDs and 4 INT's, so I wouldn't say he was in an impossible situation when even Grossman can do well after years not starting a game. It took Donovan 8 games to reach 7 TD's, Grossman took 3 games. Donovan is what he is at this point. Showed last year that he's still pretty mobile and still has a beautiful deep ball, it's just that his short to mid range accuracy is among the worst in the league, he also holds the ball way too long. I too trash Grossman but at least he got the ball out of his hand quick and with decent accuracy. I can't count how many 10 yard throws Mcnabb made much harder than they should have because he had no touch and rocketed it into the ground. I still think for say Arizona he can be a serviceable playoff QB, but beyond that his skills have deteriorated big time.

descendency
06-26-2011, 01:05 PM
McNabb got the shaft last year.

McNabb claims he's gotten the shaft every year of his career. QBs worth keeping don't do that.

Matthew Jones
07-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I can't see this happening - his presence would prevent the Eagles from being able to fully unite behind Michael Vick. It's why fired head coaches aren't re-hired as coordinators on the same team - you need the locker room to get behind Vick, which may not happen with McNabb's shadow looming.