PDA

View Full Version : All Breakout Team

TACKLE
07-06-2011, 02:49 PM
While it's still slow around here, I thought we should bust out this thread again. It's always a fun one to go and look back on later. Post who you think will be the "breakout" player at each position. Everyone has their own definition of what "breakout" means but that's fine - explanations/reasoning is always encouraged. Defensively, it's probably easier if you do a 3-4 and a 4-3 front seven but it's totally up to you.

Two rules

*No Rookies

*You may only select one player max. from your favorite team. Otherwise it just turns into a huge homer fest of everyone trying to hype "their guys".

DoughBoy
07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
QB-Matthew Stafford
RB-Tiki Barber :/
WR-Michael Crabtree
TE-Jared Cook

DT-Geno Atkins
DE-Robert Ayers

MLB-Daryl washington
OLB-Brian Cushing ( i think he becomes elite *barf*)

CB-Stanford Routt
S-Jarius Byrd (rebounds from his crappy year)

D-Unit
07-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I expect Dez Bryant to cement his position as starter opposite of Miles Austin and when it does, his breakout will really begin. I don't think folks can realistically expect him to bust out from Week 1. I say Week 7 or 8 will start it up.

jrdrylie
07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
QB- Matthew Stafford
RB- Mike Goodson
WR- Earl Bennett
TE- Jimmy Graham

DE- Cliff Avril
DT- Tyson Alualu
LB- Sean Lee
CB-Sean Smith
S- Troy Nolan

K Train
07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
LIMAS SWEED

few players i think will breakout would be matt stafford, cj spiller, golden tate, terrence cody, greg hardy, reggie bush (someone other than NO), joe haden, and ryan matthews

CashmoneyDrew
07-06-2011, 03:28 PM
QB - Sam Bradford, Rams
HB - LeGarrette Blount, Buccaneers
HB - Montario Hardesty, Browns
WR - Dez Bryant, Cowboys
WR - Jordan Shipley, Bengals
TE - Jermaine Gresham, Bengals
TE - Jimmy Graham, Saints
OT - Anthony Davis, 49ers
OT - Russell Okung, Seahawks
OG - Jason Spitz, Packers
OG - Mike Iupati, 49ers
C - Antoine Caldwell, Texans

DE - Tyson Jackson, Chiefs
DT - Dan Williams, Cardinals
DT - Gerald McCoy, Buccaneers
DE - Robert Ayers, Broncos

LB - Larry English, Chargers
LB - Rolando McClain, Raiders
LB - Sean Lee, Cowboys
LB - Sean Weatherspoon, Falcons

CB - Alterraun Verner, Titans
CB - Sam Shields, Packers
S - Malcolm Jenkins, Saints
S - Louis Delmas, Lions

bigbluedefense
07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
This is the best I could do. I tried avoiding as many 2nd year players as possible, bc it's easier to predict guys who break out in their 2nd year. So I tried to mix it up a bit.

QB: Mark Sanchez

RB: LaGarrette Blount
FB: Jon Connor

TE: Jimmy Graham
LT: Brandon Albert
LG: Mike Iupati
C: Adam Koets
RG: ?
RT: Sebastian Volmer

WR: Danny Amendola
WR: Jordy Nelson

Pass rusher: Brian Orakpo
DT: Glenn Dorsey
DT: Geno Atkins
Pass rusher: Chris Long

LB: Sean Weatherspoon
LB: Daryl Washington

CB: Alphonso Smith
CB: Kyle Wilson
S: Patrick Chung
S: William Moore

OSUGiants17
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
QB- Stafford/Matt Flynn
RB- Hardesty
WR- Nicks/Crabtree
TE- Graham
OL- 49er's entire line

DE- Ayers/Chris Long
DT- Alualu
LB- Weatherspoon/Washington
CB- Kyle Wilson/Sam Shields
S- Taylor Mays

EDIT: **** nearly my entire list has already been said :/

Splat
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
DE - Tyson Jackson, Chiefs

"Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!"

cmarq83
07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Alright here is mine:

Offense

QB: Matt Stafford, Lions- healthy with those weapons on offense

RB: CJ Spiller, Bills- Too much speed/ Buffalo will feed him the ball to get some excitement for an incredibly dull team.
RB: Beanie Wells, Cardinals- Pretty much just a random hunch. Hopefully the Ryan Williams selection lights a fire under his ass. Too much talent to waste.
WR: Percy Harvin, Vikings- Looks like Migraines are gone plus Rice is probably on the out, he'll be a pro bowl player.
WR2: Denario Alexander, Rams- His role is up in the air with his injury history and the influx of new receivers, but the skills are there if he can remain healthy.
TE: Tony Moeaki, Chiefs- Like his skills. He went under the radar a bit last year, but I think more people will watch the Chiefs this year and he'll get more pub.

LT: Eugene Monroe, Jags- has had a tough time in pass pro at times, but he is a fantastic run blocker (FO has Jags high in adjusted line yard metrics and they run heavy to the left) I think he'll improve as a pass blocker, and he'll become a good pro.
LG: Mike Iupati, 49ers- Decent rookie season, I look for him to make the jump in year 2.
C: JD Walton, Broncos- Liked him as a prospect, he had a rough first year but I think he'll get better
RG: Ted Larson, Bucs- Joseph is likely gone, and he played well last year despite joining the Bucs after training camp. A full camp and an opportunity to start should help him emerge.
RT: Vlad Ducasse, Jets- Mammoth of a player, saw him at UMass. Should be a good one with Woody gone.

Defense

DE: Carlos Dunlap, Bengals: Was good last season, I look for him to take the next step. Needs consistent effort and to improve in the run game
DT: Evander Hood, Steelers: Finally played well down the playoff stretch last year. With Smith's status up in the air he'll get significant playing time.
DT: Gerald McCoy, Bucs- Pre-draft he was debated as being as good as Suh. We've seen that it's not the case, but he still has a great first step, and that future D line of Bowers, Price, McCoy, and Clayborn looks amazing.
DE: Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants- Has all the skills in the world. I didn't think he would be any good, but he changed my mind last year.

LB: Brian Orakpo, Redskins- Great player, enters the Ware, Matthews, Harrison discussion after this year.
LB: Pat Angerer, Colts- Very Quietly had a great rookie season. Needs to improve in pass coverage, but he brings what the Colts desperately need which is a hard nosed game.
LB: Manny Lawson, future 4-3 team- I think he doesn't fit a 3-4 defense perfectly, but his coverage skills and speed could make him an asset for a 4-3 defense.

CB: Kyle Wilson, Jets- Cromartie is probably gone, loved him out of college. A year under Ryan and Revis had to have done him some good.
S: Taylor Mays, 49ers- I think he'll surprise some people as a full time starter in 2011
S: Pat Chung, Patriots- FINALLY I can get to my homer pick. He was the best player on the Patriots defense in the middle of the season before he suffered an injury. Flies around the field like a madman, and hits like a ton of bricks. By the end of the year he will be with the Quentin Mikell's and Nick Collins of the World.
CB: Sam Shields, Packers- Speed, Speed, and more Speed. Played incredibly well his rookie season and should see even more playing time next year. His upside is huge.

bigbluedefense
07-06-2011, 04:35 PM
"Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!"

Glenn Dorsey and Brandon Albert ftw?

I have a feeling Dorsey really gets more comfortable in his role under Crennel this year, we saw flashes last year.

And I figure by now Albert should be comfortable too.

bigbluedefense
07-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Ooooh, I forgot about Jamar Chaney. He's going to break out for the Eagles.

SativaDominant
07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
A few off the top of my head. Will add more later.

QB - Chad Henne
The only other real choices are Stafford and Bradford, and those are both pretty boring picks. For whatever reason, I still have faith that Henne can be a capable starting QB in the league. He got a lot of blame last year, but was in an absolutely terrible situation. Terrible interior o-line, terrible running backs, possession wide receivers (when he needs to be stretching the field). Hopefully a re-tooled ground game can make this guy respectable.

RB - Keiland Williams
I think Roy Helu would have ran away with the starting job if this was a traditional offseason, but I think Williams will end up being the opening day starter. Washington figures to run the ball a lot next year, which will equal big numbers for whoever wins the top spot.
Other notables: Javon Ringer, Rashad Jennings, Bernard Scott

WR - Jeremy Maclin
Some would call last season (70/964/10) a breakout season for him, but I think he'll garner serious top 10 discussion after this year. He runs superb routes, knows where to find open spots against zone coverage, and his size doesn't hinder him in the redzone.
Other notables: Jerome Simpson, Jacoby Ford, Mike Thomas

TE - Jimmy Graham
Probably the easiest choice on this list. Former basketball player turned tight end (sound familiar) whose play down the stretch caused the Saints to release Jeremy Shockey this offseason. He's big, athletic, and plays in a pass-centric offense with an elite QB who has historically loved throwing to his tight end.
Darkhorse: Aarob Hernkowski
Tom Brady rightfully got a ton of credit for the Patriots' ridiculously efficient offense last year. Not enough of that credit, however, went to Aaron Hernandez and Rob Grownkowski - who the Patriots re-designed their offense around (on the fly, by the way) after the Moss trade. These two give the Pats a tremendous amount of flexibility, allowing them to run multiple formations with base personnel.

OT - Eugene Monroe
Hasn't developed quite as quickly as expected, although he's been very solid so far. I expect him to take the next step and vault himself into the Elite/Franchise LT ranks. He's one of the league's best run blockers at tackle, but has concentration lapses at times against top pass rushers. All he needs is a little more consistency.
Other notables: Duane Brown

DE - Derrick Morgan/Brandon Graham/JPP
Toss up because I loved all three of these guys in the draft. This one will really come down to who playing receives more playing time. I think all of them will be studs going forward, though.
Other notables: Carlos Dunlap, Cliff Avril

Splat
07-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Glenn Dorsey and Brandon Albert ftw?

I have a feeling Dorsey really gets more comfortable in his role under Crennel this year, we saw flashes last year.

And I figure by now Albert should be comfortable too.

I'm a big Dorsey fan and laugh at people that call him a bust or Chiefs fans that want to trade him.

As for Albert he has pretty much been solid from day one nothing special but solid.

I'm not sure if he will ever turn out to be a pro bowl LT but he is a guy that you feel ok with in that role.

Tyson Jackson on the other hand has done nothing to prove he should be any where near this list.

TACKLE
07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I'll probably add a few more names as I continue to think about it.

QB Matt Stafford, Lions - If he can stay healthy, I think he plays like a top 10 QB in the league this year.

Other Consideration: Sam Bradford, Rams (could put up huge #'s in McD's offense)

RB Jonathan Stewart, Panthers - He's cracked 1k yards before so maybe he's already broken out. But with DeAngelo gone and Cam Newton at QB, if that O-Line can stay healthy I think is in for J-Stew a huge year.

Other Considerations: Shonn Greene, Jets/Montario Hardesty, Browns

WR Dez Bryant, Cowboys - Unorignial pick but I've said for a while that it's only a matter of time before Dez is an elite WR in this league. I think that starts in 2011.

Other Considerations: Jacoby Ford, Raiders/Mike Thomas, Jags

TE Jimmy Graham, Saints - This is an easy one for me. The sky is the limit for Jimmy and he flashed some of that potential last year. He's now the only threat at TE for one of the most explosive passing offenses in the league.

Other Consideration: Tony Moekai, Chiefs

OT Vlad Ducasse, Jets - Got injured last year and didn't play much if at all. But he's back healthy and should be able to compete to take over that RT spot. He's a perfect fit for that offense and word is he's really started to develop physically.

Other Consideration: Eugene Monroe, Jags (probably would of gone with him if he didn't have the Great Gabbertini playing QB behind (outside) of him)

G Jon Asamoah, Chiefs - He's a guy I loved coming into the draft. Didn't see a whole lot of action last year and will have to compete for time this year but I think he's every bit as good as someone like Mike Pouncey. Could end up being the teams best O-Lineman in the fairly near future.

C Jamal Jackson, Eagles - He's been an underrated player for years. This could be the year where he finally starts getting some recognition and should be aided by the addition of Danny Watkins.

34 DE Jared Odrick, Dolphins - I really think he can be a big time 5-tech for the Dolphins. He flashed some ability very early in the season before getting injured.

Other Consideration: Adam Carriker, Redskins

34 NT Paul Soliai, Dolphins - This guy was a beast last year but fell under the radar. He was tagged this off season and should be playing for a new contract. I could see him being an elite NT in 2011.

Other Consideration: Terrance "Prop Joe" Cody, Ravens

34 OLB O'Brien Schofield, Cardinals - He missed almost all of last season recovering from the knee he injured pre-draft. All indications are that he'll take over for Joey Porter. OScho was a dominant player in college and is a perfect fit in Arizona's defense.

43 DE Chris Long, Rams - Really came on strong late last year. I expect double digit sacks from Long this season.

OC: Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants/Brandon Graham, Eagles

43 DT Gerald McCoy, Bucs - Pretty easy one. He'll be back healthy, lighter and more athletic. More importantly, he'll be able to lock in at the 3-tech spot opposed to being moved around everywhere from nose to DE.

OC: Geno Atkins, Bengals/Lamarr Houston, Raiders

LB Sean Weatherspoon - Should develop into one of the better WLB in the league.

OC: Desmond Bishop, Packers

CB Brandon Carr, Chiefs - Carr has silenty been a very solid player opposite of Flowers. As that young secondary continues to grow, I think we see Carr emerge as someone who really comes into his own.

OC: Josh Wilson, Ravens/Alterraun Verner, Titans

S Malcolm Jenkins - Seemed to have found his home at FS. Had some impressive performances last year. Should only get better and should thrive in a defense that will allow him to create turnovers.

OC: Tom Zbikowski, Ravens

CashmoneyDrew
07-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Tyson Jackson on the other hand has done nothing to prove he should be any where near this list.

Suck it! I'm going out on a limb. I coulda went with Dunlap but he looks like a dike so I didn't.

Wanna fight about it?!?!

SativaDominant
07-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Good call on Malcolm Jenkins and Mt. Cody, Tackle. They're both gonna be studs sooner rather than later.

Splat
07-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Suck it! I'm going out on a limb. I coulda went with Dunlap but he looks like a dike so I didn't.

Wanna fight about it?!?!

I want nothing more then to be proving wrong. I would gladly eat crow.

And I could never fight a fellow Psych-O.

descendency
07-06-2011, 05:29 PM
S: Pat Chung, Patriots- FINALLY I can get to my homer pick. He was the best player on the Patriots defense in the middle of the season before he suffered an injury.

"The New England Patriots?" -Devin McCourty

edit: I think McCourty and Chung will get recognition as "breakout players". Both played significant minutes last season and could have a second consecutive season of pro-bowl worthy play.

SativaDominant
07-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Would you guys consider Jonathan Stewart a viable candidate or was 2009 his breakout season (221/1133/10)?

TACKLE
07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Would you guys consider Jonathan Stewart a viable candidate or was 2009 his breakout season (221/1133/10)?

I definitely debated this and would totally understand if someone would already consider him to have broken out. But I put him on my list based on my expectations for him this year which are very high.

SativaDominant
07-06-2011, 06:06 PM
I definitely debated this and would totally understand if someone would already consider him to have broken out. But I put him on my list based on my expectations for him this year which are very high.

I'm with you, especially because DeAngelo was still the primary ball carrier and Stewart only started in 3 games. If Williams walks in free agency, I think Stewart will wreck **** in a big way.

Shonn Greene's another guy I don't want to give up on. He's a volume runner who requires touches in the fourth, after the defense has been pounded on. Should be interesting to see how they divvy up the carries in New York this year.

JoeJoeBrown
07-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Brian Robiskie
Thad Gibson

phlysac
07-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Offense

QB - Alex Smith - San Francisco 49ers
RB - Shonn Greene - New York Jets
RB - Montario Hardesty - Cleveland Browns
WR - Jerome Simpson - Cincinnati Bengals
WR - Brandon Tate - New England Patriots
TE - Jimmy Graham - New Orleans Saints
OT - Russell Okung - Seatttle Seahawks
OG - John Jerry - Miami Dolphins - (Mike Iupati - San Francisco 49ers if No-Homer)
C - Antoine Caldwell - Houston Texans
OG - Eric Wood - Buffalo Bills
OT - Sebastian Vollmer - New England Patriots (Anthony Davis - San Francisco 49ers if No-Homer)

Defense

4-3 Personnel

DE - Lamarr Houston - Oakland Raiders
DT - Terrance Knighton - Jacksonville Jaguars
DT - Geno Atkins - Cincinnati Bengals
DE - Cliff Avril - Detroit Lions

OLB - TBD
MLB - Rolando McClain - Oakland Raiders
OLB - Sean Weatherspoon - Atlanta Falcons

3-4 Personnel

DE - Evander Hood - Pittsburgh Steelers
NT - Dan Williams - Arizona Cardinals - (Terrance Cody - Baltimore Ravens)
DE - Ron Brace - New England Patriots

OLB - Arthur Moats - Buffalo Bills
ILB - Brandon Spikes - New England Patriots - (Sean Lee- Dallas Cowboys)
ILB - Desmond Bishop - Green Bay Packers - (NaVorro Bowman - San Francisco 49ers if No-Homer)
OLB - Conner Barwin - Houston Texans

CB - Sean Smith - Miami Dolphins
CB - Alteraun Verner - Tennessee Titans
S - T.J. Ward - Cleveland Browns
S - Malcolm Jenkins - New Orleans Saints

nepg
07-06-2011, 06:33 PM
We're not talking about bones when we say "breakout".

bigbluedefense
07-06-2011, 07:02 PM
I think Ramses Barden could have a breakout year too (homer) if he can see the field.

The Dynasty
07-06-2011, 07:48 PM
QB - Colt McCoy - Cleveland Browns
RB - James Starks - Green Bay Packers
RB - Shonn Greene - New York Jets
WR - Danny Amendola - St. Louis Rams
WR - Seyi Ajirotutu - San Diego Chargers
TE - Jermichael Finley - Green Bay Packers
OT - Trent Williams - Washington Redskins
OG - Mike Iupati - San Fransisco 49ers
C - Alex Mack - Cleveland Browns
OG - Andy Levitre - Buffalo Bills
OT - Eugene Monroe - Jacksonville Jaguars

DE - Brian Robison - Minnesota Vikings
DT - Gerald McCoy - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
DT - Sedrick Ellis - New Orleans Saints
DE - Robert Ayers - Denver Broncos

OLB - Rey Maualuga - Cincinnati Bengals
MLB - Rolando McClain - Oakland Raiders
OLB - Aaron Curry - Seattle Seahawks

CB - Orlando Scandrick - Dallas Cowboys
CB - Kareem Jackson - Houston Texans
SS - Kenny Phillips - New York Giants
FS - Louis Delmas - Detroit Lions

Caddy
07-06-2011, 08:35 PM
RG: Ted Larson, Bucs- Joseph is likely gone, and he played well last year despite joining the Bucs after training camp. A full camp and an opportunity to start should help him emerge.

He started every game last year....AND Joseph is the top priority in free agency AND Larsen is a LG.

Splat
07-06-2011, 08:44 PM
G Jon Asamoah, Chiefs - He's a guy I loved coming into the draft. Didn't see a whole lot of action last year and will have to compete for time this year but I think he's every bit as good as someone like Mike Pouncey. Could end up being the teams best O-Lineman in the fairly near future.

This is not out of the question not only because he played well in limited time but because there is talk of Waters maybe being cut.

TACKLE
07-06-2011, 08:47 PM
This is not out of the question not only because he played well in limited time but because there is talk of Waters maybe being cut.

I've been hearing that as well. It'd be interesting to see if they kept Waters and let's say Wiegman is cut/retires, if they'd let Hudson and Asamoah battle it out for the starting center job.

cmarq83
07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
"The New England Patriots?" -Devin McCourty

edit: I think McCourty and Chung will get recognition as "breakout players". Both played significant minutes last season and could have a second consecutive season of pro-bowl worthy play.

Right around the Steelers game he was the best player on that defense. He got hurt after that game, and McCourty started to hit his stride, but around week 10 Chung was more consistently outstanding then McCourty. After he got hurt he couldn't cover players in the slot and had less range. McCourty entered beast mode, but he wasn't incredible until later in the year.

M.O.T.H.
07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I expect Dez Bryant to cement his position as starter opposite of Miles Austin and when it does, his breakout will really begin. I don't think folks can realistically expect him to bust out from Week 1. I say Week 7 or 8 will start it up.

As long as he's healthy...dude is ready to star by week one, imo.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-06-2011, 10:40 PM
RB CJ Spiller
DT Broderick Bunkley
S William Moore
S Eric Weddle
LB Rolando McClain
CB Terrell Thomas
WR Mike Thomas
TE Brandon Pettigrew

bucfan12
07-06-2011, 11:14 PM
QB - Matthew Stafford (if he stays healthy)
HB - Ryan Matthews San Diego
HB - Fred Jackson Buffalo
WR - Dez Bryant, Cowboys
WR - Dezmon Briscoe Tampa Bay
TE - Jimmy Graham, Saints
OT - Anthony Davis, 49ers
OT - Russell Okung, Seahawks
OG - Jason Spitz, Packers
OG - Mike Iupati, 49ers
C - Antoine Caldwell, Texans

DE - Korey Bierman Atlanta
DT - Terrance Knighton Jaguars
DT - Gerald McCoy, Buccaneers
DE - Jason Pierre Paul NY Giants

LB - Rolando McClain, Raiders
LB - Sean Lee, Cowboys
LB - Sean Weatherspoon, Falcons

CB - Alterraun Verner, Titans
CB - Sam Shields, Packers
S - Malcolm Jenkins, Saints
S - Louis Delmas, Lions

Brown Leader
07-06-2011, 11:56 PM
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick - Played well for a good stretch last season. He can get to a Hassellbeck type level (in his prime) this season with Gailey.

RB Ryan Mathews - Got off to a slow start as a rookie and vet Tolbert had a mini-breakout but he looked like a beast in the preseason.

RB Marshawn Lynch - It's still beast mode and Seattle wants to run the ball.

RB Rashad Jennings - If MJD knee issues slip him up this guy can take his spot.

WR Denario Alexander - If healthy I see him being Sam's #1 guy.

LB David Hawthorne - Looking like the best LB in Seattle as a fill in starter.

LB Kevin Burnett - Wherever he ends up.

LB/DE Rob Ninkovich - I was impressed.

CB Bradley Fletcher- Sort of a breakout last season but this season he'll get the recognition.

ellsy82
07-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I think Johnny Knox goes absolutely apeshit in Chicago this year. And I really think Jordy Nelson will have a good year in Wisconsin.

TitanHope
07-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Philly's DL under Jim Washburn. Trent Cole and Brandon Graham are gonna be unleashed if they use a similar 1-gap attacking scheme to what Tennessee used, and it'll be interesting to see what he gets out of Bunkley.

Giantsfan1080
07-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Philly's DL under Jim Washburn. Trent Cole and Brandon Graham are gonna be unleashed if they use a similar 1-gap attacking scheme to what Tennessee used, and it'll be interesting to see what he gets out of Bunkley.

I'm still interested to see how much this lockout hurts their D though. Let's not forgot they have a new D coordinator who has never coached a defense before. He's switching sides of the ball and has never worked with any of these guys before.

phlysac
07-07-2011, 09:33 AM
WR - Dezmon Briscoe Tampa Bay

Your thoughts on Briscoe "breaking out" before Arrellious Benn?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
07-07-2011, 10:03 AM
QB - Alex Smith
Leads SF to their first winning/playoff(?) season since 2002.
RB - Felix Jones
WR - Michael Crabtree
TE - Jermichael Finley
OL - Anthony Davis

DL - Gerald McCoy
LB - NaVorro Bowman
CB - Patrick Robinson + Alphonso Smith
S - Taylor Mays

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-07-2011, 10:52 AM
QB- Ryan Fitzpatrick
WR- Plaxico Burress
RB- Jonathan Stewart
LB- Brian Orakpo
S- Taylor Mays

Maybe This Year Mayhew
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
QB Sam Bradford (saving my homer pick from Stafford)
RB Jahvid Best (those toes are healed,complimented with LeShoure he will be used in a variety of different ways as a RB/receiver and has the speed to destroy teams
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Plax
TE Jermaine Gresham
Left Tackle Okung
Guard LeVitre
Center Sendelein
Right Guard
Right Tackle Loadholdt run blocking more
DE
DT Gerald McCoy
OLB Mario Williams as an OLB
MLB Posluzney
CB McCourty
Safety Louis Delmas (two homer picks but I think he'll be that good)

STsACE
07-07-2011, 07:23 PM
QB: McNabb - he's already proven, this is more of him finding right team in FA and proving once again why he's a very good QB

RB: Matthews - SD - inuries held him back, should prove he's worth the investment this season

WR: Crabtree - SF - don't want to use my homer pick, so I'll use my wife's team

TE: Gresham - Cincy - Rookie QB, Rookie WR, should be a nice security blanket

D-Line: Branch - Cards/FA - thought there's a chance he's a FA and made strides last year, proves he's a NFL player this season

D-Line: Rogers - Saints - Back to a 4-3 and a finally a contender, he finally works hard and dominates

D-Line: Graham - Philly - he can dominate when healthy

LB: Jackson - Browns - sorry, I gotta use 2 of my team, 1st one here. Jackson has missed the last 2 years with injuries and with us switching to a 4-3 which suits him better, he's playing for a contract and puts up numbers.

CB: Haden - Browns - here's my second homer pick. Haden proved everybit worth of the 7th selection last year. This year he makes Pro-Bowl.

S: Mays - Shows he's not just a numbers guys when it comes to performance and puts his gifts to good use.

wicket
07-07-2011, 08:24 PM
id always have to include both jimmy graham and michael jenkins so i cant do this. I also consider Sed Ellis already broken out.

QB Matt Stafford
RB Darren McFadden (he finally showed signs of his potential last year)
WR Jeremy Maclin
WR Dez Bryant
TE John Carlson
OT Anthony Davis
OT Eben Britton
OG Andy Levitre
OG John Jerry
OC JD Walton

DT Perria Jerry
DT Gerald McCoy
DE Jason Pierre-Paul
DE Jerry Hughes
OLB Sean Weatherspoon
OLB Gerald McRath
ILB ????
CB Sean Smith
CB Darius Butler
S William Moore
S Darcel McBath

etk
07-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I think Arrelious Benn will break out for the Bucs, coming off knee surgery to boot (no pun). Also Gerald McCoy, but that's obvious.

Also look out for Tyrone McKenzie.

cmarq83
07-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Also look out for Tyrone McKenzie.

Does McKenzie have a chance of playing for you guys? I know he was on the Patriots practice squad for a good chunk of last season. Guy looked good coming out as a 3rd round pick, but then shattering his knee in rookie mini-camps and never recovered. Does he figure to take Ruud's spot?

Smash28Dash34
07-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Gary Barnidge- Now that John Fox and his philosophy of only using TEs as blockers are gone, we can finally give Barnidge a shot at competing with Shockey for the starting TE spot. He has shown flashes in his time here, but never recieved a fair shot at proving himself. My guess is he will get that under Rivera.

49erNation85
07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
QB-Tim Tebow ( if he starts ) / Alex Smith
RB - Ryan Mathews
WR1- Jeremy Macklin
WR2 - Jordy Nelson
TE - Aaron Hernadez

DE- Carlos Dunlap
CB Joe Haden
MLB Brandon Spikes
DT Suh and McCoy

Hines
07-08-2011, 12:12 AM
I made a list of players from every team who I think could break out. I made this list as a guy who is going to start this year, or a guy who has put up decent numbers, but should go higher this year. No OLman on this list.

Emmanuel Sanders WR Steelers
Isaac Redman RB Steelers
Antonio Brown WR Steelers
Ziggy Hood De Steelers
Dez Bryant WR Cowboys
Sean Lee LB Cowboys
Martellus Bennett TE Cowboys (If he gets his head on straight or goes to another team, I can see him being an impact player in the NFL)
Michael Crabtree WR 49ers
Navorro Bowman LB 49ers
Manny Lawson LB 49ers/FA
Taylor Mays S 49ers
Shonn Greene RB Jets
Dustin Keller TE Jets
Beanie Wells RB Cardinals
Daryl Washington LB Cardinals
O'Brien Schofield LB Cardinals
Peria Jerry DT Falcons
Sean Weatherspoon LB Falcons
Terrance Cody DT Ravens
Tom Zbikowski S Ravens
CJ Spiller RB Bills
Arthur Moats LB Bills
Jonathan Stewart RB Panthers
Greg Hardy DE Panthers
Everrette Brown DE Panthers
Earl Bennett WR Bears
Bernard Scott RB Bengals
Jermaine Gresham TE Bengals
Jerome Simpson WR Bengals
Geno Atkins DT Bengals
Rey Maualuga LB Bengals
Montario Hardesty RB Browns
Eric Decker WR Broncos
Demaryius Thomas WR Broncos
Robert Ayers DE Broncos
Matthew Stafford QB Lions
Jordyzzzzz Nelsonzzzzzz WR Packers
Morgan Burnett S Packers
Sam Shields CB Packers
Connor Barwin LB Texans
Kareem Jackson CB Texans
Jerry Hughes DE Colts
Rashad Jennings RB Jaguars
Tony Moeaki TE Chiefs
Kendrick Lewis S Cheifs
Jared Odrick DE Dolphins
Koa Misi LB Dolphins
Brian Robison DE Vikings
Chris Cook CB Vikings
Brandon Tate WR Patriots
Taylor Price WR Patriots
Jermaine Cunningham LB Patriots
Brandon Spikes LB Patriots
Jimmy Graham TE Saints
Robert Meachem WR Saints
Patrick Robinson CB Saints
Jason Pierre-Paul DE Giants
Jon Goff LB Giants
Kenny Phillips S Giants
Jacoby Ford WR Raiders
Rolando McClain LB Raiders
Brandon Graham DE Eagles
Trevor Laws DT Eagles
Jamar Chaney LB Eagles
Kurt Coleman S Eagles
Nate Allen S Eagles
Ryan Matthews RB Chargers
Larry English LB Chargers
Marshawn Lynch RB Seahawks
Golden Tate WR Seahawks
Aaron Curry LB Seahawks
Walter Thurmond CB Seahawks
Sam Bradford QB Rams
Denario Alexander WR Rams
Arrelious Benn WR Bucs
Gerald McCoy DT Bucs
Tyrone McKenzie LB Bucs
EJ Biggers CB Bucs
Jared Cook TE Titans
Kenny Britt WR Titans
Damian Williams WR Titans
Derrick Morgan DE Titans
Gerald McRath LB Titans
Fred Davis TE Redskins
Brian Orakpo LB Redskins
Kevin Barnes CB Redskins

Players who already "broke out", but I can see improving their numbers a lot more:

WR Calvin Johnson
LB Lawrence Timmons
WR Mike Wallace
S Tyvon Branch
WR Jeremy Maclin

armageddon
07-08-2011, 03:42 AM
OT - Jason Smith

etk
07-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Does McKenzie have a chance of playing for you guys? I know he was on the Patriots practice squad for a good chunk of last season. Guy looked good coming out as a 3rd round pick, but then shattering his knee in rookie mini-camps and never recovered. Does he figure to take Ruud's spot?

There's a decent chance he wins the MLB job. He impressed late last year in practice and on special teams and now he's helping lead workouts out of nowhere. Ruud isn't involved with the team right now and I hope we don't pay up for him. A lot of fans are excited for McKenzie, but we'll see what happens. Thanks for the info...our staff loves the Patriots' players ;).

bigbluedefense
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Everyone who's saying Brandon Graham...I hope they realize that Graham probably won't even be ready for the season until game 5 or 6.

He tore his ACL late in the season. I believe it was the last game of the season.

Even if he comes back week 1, I doubt he'll be 100%.

wordofi
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
OT - Jason Smith

Los Rams deben ser mudos. Ellos están pagando a $ 60 millones a tipo jugar como tackle derecho. No tackle derecho recibiría $ 60 millones en el mercado abierto.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Uhhh.....yeah werd.

TheFinisher
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
QB- Kevin Kolb- TBD
RB- CJ Spiller- BUF
RB- Lesean McCoy- PHI
WR- Dez Bryant- DAL
WR- Jordy Nelson- GB
TE- Brandon Pettigrew- DET

4-3
DE- Jason Pierre Paul- NYG
DE- Chris Long- STL
DT- Terrence Knighton- JAX
DT- Gerald McCoy- TB

LB- James Laurinitis- STL
LB- Rey Maualuga- CIN
LB- Rolando McClain- OAK

3-4
DE- Ziggy Hood- PIT
DE- Jared Odrick- MIA
NT- ?

OLB- Brian Orakpo- WAS
OLB- Tamba Hali- KC (I know he already broke out, but I predict a monster season where he becomes a household name)

CB- Joe Haden- CLE
CB- Brandon Carr- KC
S- Kenny Phillips- NYG
S- Louis Delmas- DET

bigbluedefense
07-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure if JPP is ready to break out. I went back and watched whatever Giants games I DVR'd and I played close attention to him. And while he did do some great things, it's painfully obvious when you go back and study him, that he's very very raw. He blew his run assignment pretty much every snap, he was lost quite a bit and would wash himself out of the play. Sometimes he would just bullrush a guy and try to overpower him and get stonewalled.

But throughout it all, he did flash every now and then bc he's such a physical freak. But technique wise, assignment wise, and from the perspective of understanding football, this guy has a LONG way to go.

I think he needs at least this whole year to really get his game down. He needs a lot of practice. He may make some noise as a situational pass rusher this year, but I'd be shocked if he develops into a more polished all around DE.

He needs 2 more years to become that.

SativaDominant
07-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Stop ******** on my second year DE thunder, BBD.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2011, 10:34 AM
I'd be more than happy to eat crow on this one brother.

I think he can make noise as a situational pass rusher. As a 3rd down rusher, he might collect some sacks this year. He's a freak at the end of the day, if he can just polish up some pass rush moves, he can collect some sacks in the immediate future.

hockey619
07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I'd be more than happy to eat crow on this one brother.

I think he can make noise as a situational pass rusher. As a 3rd down rusher, he might collect some sacks this year. He's a freak at the end of the day, if he can just polish up some pass rush moves, he can collect some sacks in the immediate future.

JPP has some pass rush potential just because of how hard he goes at it. but he definitely needs a year to become a real threat, and another after that probably to shore up his run technique. he gets way too high in his stance and gets blasted out of the play too often. he'll probably be a situational guy for one more year. definitely shows heart when hes out there though, keeps chasing and i love that.

BBD, you mentioned kyle wilson, but im gunna have to disaggree.
I was very dissappointed in his play last year. he was beaten often and pretty badly at times. when i watched, i thought he looked overwhelmed by the quickness of guys and seemed to struggle flipping his hips. I think he might be a bust going forward. the only saving grace for him was he was often covering out of the slot, which is very hard to do. maybe he can become a solid #2 if he can stay on the outside. obviously i have my doubts though...

EDIT:
McCourty on the other hand...hes a boss and a half. I think by the end of this coming season he has a chance to be in the aso/revis class of 'you dont throw at them, well unless they just held out for all of camp then came back and quietly sucked balls for the first 8 games.' im looking at you revis. anyway, i think mccourty will go from very good/known in new england, to great and a big name all over the place.

i LOVED graham coming out, the dude was a monster for a crap michigan defense playing in a role he was very miscast in. Most guys take a year to get their game back after a knee injury, so i think he'll be a guy to watch in 2012.

How about that cruz guy for the Giants? Id like to see him again in pre season, he had some serious flashes last year, hopefully he gets a shot this year.

phlysac
07-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Everyone who's saying Brandon Graham...I hope they realize that Graham probably won't even be ready for the season until game 5 or 6.

He tore his ACL late in the season. I believe it was the last game of the season.

Wes Welker set a tough precedent. Torn ACL Week 17 2009, Started 2010 Preseason Week 3.

Splat
07-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Wes Welker is boss. Screw the haters.

wordofi
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure if JPP is ready to break out. I went back and watched whatever Giants games I DVR'd and I played close attention to him. And while he did do some great things, it's painfully obvious when you go back and study him, that he's very very raw. He blew his run assignment pretty much every snap, he was lost quite a bit and would wash himself out of the play. Sometimes he would just bullrush a guy and try to overpower him and get stonewalled.

But throughout it all, he did flash every now and then bc he's such a physical freak. But technique wise, assignment wise, and from the perspective of understanding football, this guy has a LONG way to go.

I think he needs at least this whole year to really get his game down. He needs a lot of practice. He may make some noise as a situational pass rusher this year, but I'd be shocked if he develops into a more polished all around DE.

En primer lugar, Jason Pierre-Paul tiene que hacer algunos ejercicios abdominales con el fin de deshacerse de su panza. Él tiene que trabajar duro para mejorar como jugador. Él también necesita un poco de un buen entrenamiento.

No necesita dos años más si trabaja lo suficientemente duro. Él puede ser un tipo saco diez años próximos.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2011, 03:41 PM
JPP has some pass rush potential just because of how hard he goes at it. but he definitely needs a year to become a real threat, and another after that probably to shore up his run technique. he gets way too high in his stance and gets blasted out of the play too often. he'll probably be a situational guy for one more year. definitely shows heart when hes out there though, keeps chasing and i love that.

BBD, you mentioned kyle wilson, but im gunna have to disaggree.
I was very dissappointed in his play last year. he was beaten often and pretty badly at times. when i watched, i thought he looked overwhelmed by the quickness of guys and seemed to struggle flipping his hips. I think he might be a bust going forward. the only saving grace for him was he was often covering out of the slot, which is very hard to do. maybe he can become a solid #2 if he can stay on the outside. obviously i have my doubts though...

EDIT:
McCourty on the other hand...hes a boss and a half. I think by the end of this coming season he has a chance to be in the aso/revis class of 'you dont throw at them, well unless they just held out for all of camp then came back and quietly sucked balls for the first 8 games.' im looking at you revis. anyway, i think mccourty will go from very good/known in new england, to great and a big name all over the place.

i LOVED graham coming out, the dude was a monster for a crap michigan defense playing in a role he was very miscast in. Most guys take a year to get their game back after a knee injury, so i think he'll be a guy to watch in 2012.

How about that cruz guy for the Giants? Id like to see him again in pre season, he had some serious flashes last year, hopefully he gets a shot this year.

Kyle Wilson sucked something awful last year, but he was a rookie CB. It's almost expected quite honestly. Especially when you have Revis and Cro on the field, you're going to get targeted. Not every CB is going to come out of the gates and dominate like McCourty or Revis or Haden. Some need a good old fashioned welcome to the NFL.

I did like Kyle coming out, I'll give him a chance. Working the slot is baptism by fire as well, it's not easy. Now if he sucks this year, then I'd worry. But I give all rookie CBs a pass, bc it's just so hard playing CB in this league. There definitely is a learning curve.

I agree on McCourty, he's going to be NE's Revis. He's an absolute stud.

I loved Graham coming out too. I was furious the Eagles got him. He was easily my favorite DE from that draft class, I absolutely loved him. I just don't know if he'll contribute that much this year. And you never know how a guy recovers from an ACL. Some guys are never the same. I also didn't like how he's being thrown at LE by the Eagles, and how he added weight to play LE.

The guy is a RE all the way. He needs to get back to 255 lbs and ball out at RE. Playing at 270 at LE could ruin his career. Im a huge Graham fan though.

Cruz...we'll see. I loved what I saw. He has potential. I'm curious to see if he can put it together this season, I thought he was going to beast it last year but got put on IR. I think he can be a great slot.

hockey619
07-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I loved Graham coming out too. I was furious the Eagles got him. He was easily my favorite DE from that draft class, I absolutely loved him. I just don't know if he'll contribute that much this year. And you never know how a guy recovers from an ACL. Some guys are never the same. I also didn't like how he's being thrown at LE by the Eagles, and how he added weight to play LE.

The guy is a RE all the way. He needs to get back to 255 lbs and ball out at RE. Playing at 270 at LE could ruin his career. Im a huge Graham fan though.

Cruz...we'll see. I loved what I saw. He has potential. I'm curious to see if he can put it together this season, I thought he was going to beast it last year but got put on IR. I think he can be a great slot.

Corner is just a tough position, the rules really **** those guys over make their jobs impossible, but wilson didnt look quick enough last year to me. he got beat off the line constantly and was caught flat footed alot too. yeah he could get better, but those arent encouraging signs...and yes i agree he was absolutely brutal last year. rex does put a lot on his corners, but wilson looked way overmatched way too often.

whatever weight graham played at in college, thats what he needs to play at in philly. i loved him coming out, so disruptive with a fantastic motor. short and strong as hell, just a tough dude. I hate when guys add weight to play in the pros though, often times it helps their draft stock but hurts their game play by slowing them down and/or hurting their flexibility and leading to injuries.

I think cruz would find himself on the outside with nicks, leaving SS in the slot where hes at his best. If cruz can make those flashes translate into consistent play that offense could be a monster.

This one may be against the grain a bit, but i think Super Mario could reach his vast potential under phillips. he could be a force in that one gap scheme playing end, standing up, what have you just using his athleticism to beast people. a lot of people think going to 3-4 is a mistake with him, but i dont think it will negatively effect him at all and i think wade could unleash the beast that mario could be. hes been good but inconsistent during his career, i think phillips can help him pull it together.

armageddon
07-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Los Rams deben ser mudos. Ellos están pagando a $ 60 millones a tipo jugar como tackle derecho. No tackle derecho recibiría $ 60 millones en el mercado abierto.

Muchos natchos to you too

wordofi
07-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Jordy Nelson will have about 800 yards receiving this year. James Jones will probably be gone, and Donald Driver is 36 years old.

Hurricanes25
07-08-2011, 11:29 PM
I hope Kyle Wilson does breakout this year. He was terrible last year. But for the most part, his coverage was pretty good. He just needs to do a MUCH better job of turning around, locating the ball, and making a play on it.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-08-2011, 11:49 PM

That first year back, the explosiveness is completely zapped. I don't see him making much of an impact.

niel89
07-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Jordy Nelson will have about 800 yards receiving this year. James Jones will probably be gone, and Donald Driver is 36 years old.

I completely agree. Nelson really showed off his ability in the super bowl and I think that he is going to get a lot more looks.

Also cause he's JORDYZZZ and he determines how many yards he gets.

prock
07-09-2011, 05:03 PM
My favorite part about Jordy Nelson is that the Packers took him before Desean Jackson.

Splat
07-09-2011, 06:54 PM
My favorite part about Jordy Nelson is that the Packers took him before Desean Jackson.

My favorite part is his Super Bowl ring.

cvv84
07-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Potential breakout players for the Packers:

1) Jordy Nelson - At worst he's going to be our #3 WR this year and with Driver declining its very possible that Nelson could finish the season as a starter.

2) Mike Neal - With Cullen Jenkins due to depart Neal should be in for a much bigger role in a rotation at RDE. He showed his potential in his limited action as a rookie before landing on IR.

3) Sam Shields - Ended up playing a huge role on defense despite being an undrafted rookie free agent. If he can build upon last season we could be looking at Tramon Williams part 2.

4) Desmond Bishop - Really he broke out last season but after starting 12 games, but could really emerge as a full fledged starter.

descendency
07-09-2011, 07:29 PM
OT - Sebastian Vollmer - New England Patriots
In case you missed it, he made the All Pro team. I don't know what more he can do.

TimD
07-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I hope Kyle Wilson does breakout this year. He was terrible last year. But for the most part, his coverage was pretty good. He just needs to do a MUCH better job of turning around, locating the ball, and making a play on it.

this is a good point about him. i dont know if i necessarily agree with the stuff about a lack of quickness, i just think he needs to locate the ball better. he didnt get consistently burnt, but his receivers would make catches. hopefully rex and revis make him an important project this season.

Complex
07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
CB-Stanford Routt

Didn't he have a break out season last year?

LonghornsLegend
07-10-2011, 12:33 PM

He's one of the guys who I really hated that the lockout halted some of their progression. He's a guy who really needed to be around the facility learning as much as he can. I think your selling him a bit short though, when your as big of a freak as he is, you can rack up sacks without much technique. Being an overall complete DE is another story, but for now he can bring the QB down.

Hell he had 4.5 sacks and he didn't even know what he was doing last year. 8-10 sacks isn't out of the question, especially if you guys get up big vs a terrible team where he can get 3 easy garbage sacks.

I also want to talk about Stephen Bowen in as many of these breakout threads as I can, because he's really off the radar and when he starts for us next year his name is going to get mentioned a ton. He's a very good player who hasn't played as much as he should have due to the numbers game, but people will see how much of an upgrade over Marcus Spears he'll be.

This one may be against the grain a bit, but i think Super Mario could reach his vast potential under phillips. he could be a force in that one gap scheme playing end, standing up, what have you just using his athleticism to beast people. a lot of people think going to 3-4 is a mistake with him, but i dont think it will negatively effect him at all and i think wade could unleash the beast that mario could be. hes been good but inconsistent during his career, i think phillips can help him pull it together.

I have no questions with Mario. Do I think he should be in a 3-4? Absolutely not, he was molded to be a 4-3 DE. That said, Wade always fits and adjust his scheme to his players, he doesn't come in with a cemented scheme that players have to fit and if they don't they just struggle. Mario is gonna rush the passer and he'll be put in alot of good positions to confuse the offense.

That said he shouldn't be mentioned in this thread, he's already broken out, and I don't know if I think he'll reach 15 sacks his first season in their defense. I'd say 11. The last few years his sack totals have dipped in each of the 2. He should be able to get a sack per game without much trouble.

phlysac
07-10-2011, 09:01 PM
In case you missed it, he made the All Pro team. I don't know what more he can do.

To me, "breaking out" is becoming a household name. Vollmer was, indeed, elected a 2nd Team All-Pro but he wasn't voted to the Pro Bowl, and is rarely included in people's "Top OT" lists.

In my opinion, he will "break out" and be on those lists following 2011.

But I understand the confusion in my selection, and perhaps I could've selected someone who has yet to perform at such a high level.

BlindSite
07-11-2011, 04:00 AM
David Gettis WR Carolina Panthers

His stats as a rookie: 13 games started, 37 receptions for 508 yards and 3 TDs.

6-3 real vertical burner, good leaping ability and has shown good hands. Give him a decent quarterback hoiking him the ball and he'll come on strong imo. He had touchdowns of 18, 23 and 88 yards and has around the league average for catching passes thrown his way which given pickels' tendency to sail 'em bury 'em or generally throw them behind, or anywhere but where they needed to be is an impressive feat.

Almost singlehandedly destroyed the 49ers 8 catches 125 yards and 2 TDs. A lot of what happens with him will depend on what happens with Steve Smith, which will help to decide which receiver him or LaFell gets more reps, but right now he looks to be the starter a QB who's good for 3000+ yards should see him crack the 800 mark.

FUNBUNCHER
07-11-2011, 08:44 AM
OLB Conner Barwin for the Houston Texans is a guy I think has all the tools to be one of the top pass rushers in the league.

He's battled injuries, but the switch to the 34 IMO better suits Barwin's skillset.

His third year in the league, the long lockout should benefit his body staying healthy.

If the light comes on for Barwin in 2011, I think this will be the year the Texans finally make the playoffs.

Another pick for me is Calvin Johnson.

Now some might think, 'this dude has ALREADY broken out'.
Yes and no.

No WR has ever entered the NFL with Megatron's sum of tools, (sorry Matt Jones!!).
Yet Calvin has never caught 80+ balls in a season, never had more than 1400 yards receiving or 12 TDs.

If Calvin never has more than a 12TD season or catches for 1400 yards, he'll still end up a candidate for the HOF with that consistent level of production.

But when Detroit drafted Megatron, I thought he was a guy who could one day put up more(!) than one 95+ catch/1800+yds/18-20+ TD season.

Calvin is a dominant talent, but he's yet to produce to the level of his ability.

If this is the year Matt Stafford stays out of the training room and plays all 16 games, we may finally see Megatron 'transform' his game into MVP status.

BTW personally I really like this thread, guys have put a lot of thought into these selections.

THe best part about watching football for me is witnessing before your eyes a player BECOME something special.

If half these guys pan out, 2011 will be great NFL season, if and when that ever starts.

LonghornsLegend
07-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Calvin has had 12 TD's twice in 4 seasons, with musical chair bench fodder at QB almost the entire time. While we are still waiting on Andre Johnson to do it once, the man everyone wants to put at the #1 WR.

Calvin doesn't really need to be in this thread. Even if he does explode next year.

Splat
07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
My homer pick is Derrick Johnson.

He has been inconsistent looking like an All Pro one week and a ghost the next but last year I felt he started to put it all together.

senormysterioso
07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
I want to say AJ Hawk, last year was pretty good for him. It feels like he's more comfortable taking a leadership role now that Barnett is kind of an after thought. I think he's comfortable in the system now and can react instead of think. He could be a pro bowler this year and finally begin to live up to his draft status.

bigbluedefense
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
He's one of the guys who I really hated that the lockout halted some of their progression. He's a guy who really needed to be around the facility learning as much as he can. I think your selling him a bit short though, when your as big of a freak as he is, you can rack up sacks without much technique. Being an overall complete DE is another story, but for now he can bring the QB down.

Hell he had 4.5 sacks and he didn't even know what he was doing last year. 8-10 sacks isn't out of the question, especially if you guys get up big vs a terrible team where he can get 3 easy garbage sacks.

Yeah I can see him becoming a solid situational pass rusher this year, but he's got a long way to go to become a complete player.

I think 2 things will hurt his progress this year:

1. Lack of mini camps/training camp/time with coaches
2. Having possibly 3 DEs in front of him on the rotation

The lockout hurt all our rookies. We went with a lot of developmental guys with that draft, most notably JPP and Linval Joseph. Both are guys who needed a lot of time with the coaches, but Im hoping their physical gifts will overcome any issues.

I think JPP should bulk up a little. He's a lanky 275. The guy could mold his body into a Julius Peppers with 15 more pounds of muscle. If he can bulk up and improve his horrible technique, I think we have a monster on our hands.

Like you said, he basically got 4.5 sacks on pure athleticism and motor. So I'm curious to see what he can become once he refines himself. I just think it's going to take awhile for him to get to that point.

lowlife
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
O'Brien Schofield was one of my favorite players coming out last season. Expecting a breakout year after the injured season. Another Card I see having a big season is Dan Williams.

Obvious homer picks would be Blount or McCoy, but I'm going to go with Arrelious Benn or Cody Grimm. A non-2nd year player to watch is Michael Bennet, DE.

hockey619
07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
That said he shouldn't be mentioned in this thread, he's already broken out, and I don't know if I think he'll reach 15 sacks his first season in their defense. I'd say 11. The last few years his sack totals have dipped in each of the 2. He should be able to get a sack per game without much trouble.

I brought him up for similar reasoning to the guy who brough up calvin johnson.

Mario is a complete freak of nature, a human monster who should be a force every play of every game causing problems for the other team. But hes been inconsistent, dissappearing for stretches or being blocked out of plays by mediocre tackles that he should be throwing through the air like ragdolls. His potential as a football player is possibly the highest of any player in the league, hes got a very rare combination of physical gifts and talent. My hope is that wade can turn him loose and transform him from a good player to the unstoppable force hes capable of being. Not just in sack numbers, but in pressure applied, plays broken up or ruined etc etc

bigbluedefense
07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
What's the board's thoughts on Big Mike Williams (WR Seattle)? Does he belong on this list?

I hope he really puts it together this year. I loved him coming out. You saw it last year, but he can be even better this year.

A Perfect Score
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
What's the board's thoughts on Big Mike Williams (WR Seattle)? Does he belong on this list?

I hope he really puts it together this year. I loved him coming out. You saw it last year, but he can be even better this year.

Its never been about the talent, its always been about the drive. He seems to respond to Carroll better then anyone else, so hopefully he keeps his head on straight and continues to progress. I still maintain he was screwed over royally by the NCAA, the guy could have been a terror coming out of college properly. Unfortunate circumstances, but everyone loves a comeback story and I'd like to see him do well for himself after being, from what I understand, incredibly humbled by his experiences.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
07-11-2011, 03:00 PM
This thread is missing Major Wright. With Danieal Manning almost certainly leaving in FA he doesn't need to split time with a rotation.

It's not much, but he made a couple impact plays in preseason (shut up, it was at least with the 1s) before he got hurt. He starts and shines this year.

T-RICH49
07-11-2011, 03:38 PM

agree he filled in for Lilja in 1 game last year and did a very nice job

CB Brandon Carr, Chiefs - Carr has silenty been a very solid player opposite of Flowers. As that young secondary continues to grow, I think we see Carr emerge as someone who really comes into his own.

agreed in fact 2nd half of season you can say he outpreformend Flowers
he's right behind Tamba Hali in FA's we need to re-sign

SativaDominant
07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
This thread is missing Major Wright. With Danieal Manning almost certainly leaving in FA he doesn't need to split time with a rotation.

It's not much, but he made a couple impact plays in preseason (shut up, it was at least with the 1s) before he got hurt. He starts and shines this year.

Interested to see the development of all those second year Gators: Wright, Tebow, Cunningham, Spikes, Hernandez, Dunlap, and Haden. Very talented group that showed lots of potential in their rookie seasons.

redbills
07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
QB-Matthew Stafford
RB-Tiki Barber :/
WR-Michael Crabtree
TE-Jared Cook

DT-Geno Atkins
DE-Robert Ayers

MLB-Daryl washington
OLB-Brian Cushing ( i think he becomes elite *barf*)

CB-Stanford Routt
S-Jarius Byrd (rebounds from his crappy year)

you said that beacuse he didn't have 90 picks again, he actually played just as good if not better. played the run better last year imo.

AntoinCD
07-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Main players I think will break out:

Calais Campbell, DE Arizona Cardinals-This was a guy who at one point was considered a potential #1 overall pick. He didn't make a huge impact to start but really started to come through last year. If they get some consistent play from Dan Williams, with Darnell Docket across from him Campbell could have a huge year. A very underrated player IMO.

Robert Meachem, WR New Orleans Saints-A guy who may have been named for the past few years I think he blows up this year. The Saints should have a dominant ground game and with Colston, Moore etc on the roster Meachem should get a lot of one on one looks. He is also a very good deep threat and with Brees having more opportunities to work off of play action he could get a lot of deep targets.

Donald Brown, RB Indianapolis Colts-Call this one a hunch. Brown has shown little to justify his first round status for the Colts but at times he has shown some big play ability. Being stuck behind Joseph Addai(who is a much better player in passing situations than Brown) has hindered his development, but if the Colts get their receiving options healthy and the new additions to the offensive line click then he will have a great chance to become a very valuable part of their offense.

**HOMER ALERT**

Ron Brace, DE New England Patriots-I wanted to go againt the grain and not pick someone like Brandon Tate, Brandon Spikes, Pat Chung etc. Brace really struggled his first year as back up NT and it wasn't helped when he showed up to camp out of shape last year. However when he finally got up to speed he played extensively at DE until he got hurt. He has great funstional strength and power and can really mask the deficiencies of some of the Patriots' smaller OLBs like Banta-Cain. If he continues his development, with Ty Warren coming back he could really carve out a role at RE for himself and really add some bulk and power to the defensive line.

Unbiased
07-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I agree with what people have said about the Jaguars. I've seen Monroe, Alualu, Britton, and Knighton mentioned but I'll throw out another lineman, Austen Lane. He should start this year and if Kampman stays healthy, he could see some great matchups with Knighton and Alualu clogging up the middle.

fenikz
07-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Calais Campbell, DE Arizona Cardinals-This was a guy who at one point was considered a potential #1 overall pick. He didn't make a huge impact to start but really started to come through last year. If they get some consistent play from Dan Williams, with Darnell Docket across from him Campbell could have a huge year. A very underrated player IMO

actually he played much better his rookie and especially his sophomore year than last year, he was below average or average at best and only really impacted games late in the season.

If I were going to pick a Cardinals I'd look at O'Brien Schofield, Daryl Washigton or Dan Williams, all from the 2010 class. While they all struggled at times last year it wasn't due to physical ability mostly just over thinking or being out of position

BlindSite
07-14-2011, 08:30 PM
O'Brien Schofield was one of my favorite players coming out last season. Expecting a breakout year after the injured season. Another Card I see having a big season is Dan Williams.

Obvious homer picks would be Blount or McCoy, but I'm going to go with Arrelious Benn or Cody Grimm. A non-2nd year player to watch is Michael Bennet, DE.

I hate McCoy for the reason he wears a Tampa jersey and is without doubt going to be one of the most dominant 43 tackles to come along in a long time. From what I've heard the guy does nothing but watch film when he's not training or lifting. He's very, very smart, understands the game well and has the drive and determination to succeed. He'll be a great player for years to come.

Monomach
07-15-2011, 03:43 PM
For the Bears, I'm going to toss Corey Wootten's name out there.

ellsy82
07-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Limas Sweed...

http://surfwithberserk.com/img/funny/epic_fails/54.jpg

Kidding.

armageddon
07-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Rams

RT Jason Smith (has been working out like a mad man)
WR Donnie Avery (back to running 4.2 after his surgery. He was playing great prior to season ending injury in pre season and Bradford was looking his way a lot)

prock
07-16-2011, 09:10 PM
My favorite part is his Super Bowl ring.

Irrelevant.

ArkyRamsFan
07-17-2011, 02:15 AM
This is the year Chris Long of the Rams shows what he is all about. He is truly at home as the LE in the Rams' 4- 3 and was among the leaders in the NFL in QB pressures.

This year he's gonna turn a lot of those pressures into sacks. He is also a complete DE as he is already very good against the run.

After this year he won't be just "Howie"s kid", but Howie just may be more known as "Chris' dad".

FUNBUNCHER
07-17-2011, 06:17 AM
This is the year Chris Long of the Rams shows what he is all about. He is truly at home as the LE in the Rams' 4- 3 and was among the leaders in the NFL in QB pressures.

This year he's gonna turn a lot of those pressures into sacks. He is also a complete DE as he is already very good against the run.

After this year he won't be just "Howie"s kid", but Howie just may be more known as "Chris' dad".

Hopefully.

Just wanted to note that as a rookie, Skins DE Charles Mann said he was AFRAID of Howie Long just watching him during warmups.

Howie Long used to be considered one of those most talented, intimidating football players in the league. If Chris can manage to approach double digit sacks or better, coupled with his overall game, he'll be good enough.

katnip
07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
i'm glad a few mentioned Blount. i'm a jets fan but if i couldn't be, the bucs would be my team. mainly cause their nfc

J-Mike88
07-18-2011, 12:05 PM
I thought LeGarrette brokeout last year as a rookie.
I'd say he's more due to punch someone in the face.

J-Mike88
07-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Mike Neal.

PFF did an in-depth study of his limited play, and he was a beast.
He's the reason the Packers are comfortable letting the Pro Bowl quality Cullen Jenkins go.

The problem is, as with Jenkins, Neal doesn't seem to be durable.

I still can't figure out how the Vikings DT Kevin Williams has missed so little time in his career.

armageddon
07-19-2011, 02:22 PM

Long has been working out like a mad man. I also think he breaks out, even last year he was really good. The dude keeps getting better every year.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm glad to see Chris Long finally panning out. I was a huge fan of his coming out.

etk
07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I thought LeGarrette brokeout last year as a rookie.
I'd say he's more due to punch someone in the face.

He was the 3rd leading rusher once he actually started playing significant minutes. Oh and he hit 1000. If that's not "breaking out" then I don't know what is.

It's sad how little pub the Bucs get....such an exciting young team and the NFL media just ignores them.

bearsfan_51
07-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I was a huge fan of his coming out.
Well that's....weird.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Well that's....weird.

I typically prefer athletes at DE over the high floor/low ceiling guys like Long, but he was so dominant and so sound in his technique and had such a high motor, I couldn't help but be a fan of his.

And he wasn't a terrible athlete either. Just not a physical freak.

Or did you mean one of those "thats what she said" type of jokes that went over my head?

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 09:17 PM
He was the 3rd leading rusher once he actually started playing significant minutes. Oh and he hit 1000. If that's not "breaking out" then I don't know what is.

It's sad how little pub the Bucs get....such an exciting young team and the NFL media just ignores them.

The Bucs are in great shape moving forward. I love a lot of their moves the past 2 years.

That dline could be great if their DEs pan out (although I'm iffy on Bower's health and don't like Clayborn's fit in a 4-3), they have a solid LB in Foster, and if Talib can stay out of jail a decent enough secondary. Their offense is young and promising. I like that team's potential.

bearsfan_51
07-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Or did you mean one of those "thats what she said" type of jokes that went over my head?
Yeah...*** joke..."coming out"...I like bad puns.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Aah, gotcha.

I miss talking football with you papito. *some hom0*

AntoinCD

Michael Irvin hates you

Dam8610

The Rams have an extremely talented set of young DEs. I could easily see them feeding off of one another and putting themselves among the league's elite together because of one another. Also, having Spagnuolo as your coach never hurts you as a DL, especially one with any sort of pass rushing capability.

bigbluedefense
07-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Michael Irvin hates you

speaking of which, did he really need to take a picture half naked while pulling on his buckle for the cover?

it's not like HE was *** or anything. that didn't make sense to me.

AntoinCD
07-19-2011, 09:57 PM
speaking of which, did he really need to take a picture half naked while pulling on his buckle for the cover?

it's not like HE was *** or anything. that didn't make sense to me.

It's Michael Irvin, things seldom make sense. This is the guy who is preaching a moral code(rightly or wrongly) but yet also tried to stab a teammate with scissors.

bearsfan_51
07-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

wicket
10-18-2011, 06:31 PM
id always have to include both jimmy graham and michael jenkins so i cant do this. I also consider Sed Ellis already broken out.

QB Matt Stafford
RB Darren McFadden (he finally showed signs of his potential last year)
WR Jeremy Maclin
WR Dez Bryant
TE John Carlson
OT Anthony Davis
OT Eben Britton
OG Andy Levitre
OG John Jerry
OC JD Walton

DT Perria Jerry
DT Gerald McCoy
DE Jason Pierre-Paul
DE Jerry Hughes
OLB Sean Weatherspoon
OLB Gerald McRath
ILB ????
CB Sean Smith
CB Darius Butler
S William Moore
S Darcel McBath

my breakout offense makes me look smart, the defense, not so mcuh

SuperMcGee
10-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Definite credit on the Levitre pick. The only guy that you could say is playing at as high of a level on this team is the back for whom he creates gaping holes.

jrdrylie
10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
QB- Matthew Stafford
RB- Mike Goodson
WR- Earl Bennett
TE- Jimmy Graham

DE- Cliff Avril
DT- Tyson Alualu
LB- Sean Lee
CB-Sean Smith
S- Troy Nolan

Matt Stafford was right one. So was Jimmy Graham. But those were obvious. Mike Goodson hasn't done anything but to be fair, I said it before the Carolina gave that stupid contract to DeAngelo Williams.

Cliff Avril has a couple of sacks. He would have had a few more but two against Chicago got overturned. Sean Lee is leading the Cowboys in tackles. I'm batting about .500.

phlysac
10-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Offense

QB - Alex Smith - San Francisco 49ers
WR - Jerome Simpson - Cincinnati Bengals
TE - Jimmy Graham - New Orleans Saints
OT - Russell Okung - Seatttle Seahawks
OG -(Mike Iupati - San Francisco 49ers if No-Homer)
OG - Eric Wood - Buffalo Bills
OT - Sebastian Vollmer - New England Patriots

Defense

4-3 Personnel

DT - Geno Atkins - Cincinnati Bengals
DE - Cliff Avril - Detroit Lions

OLB - Sean Weatherspoon - Atlanta Falcons

3-4 Personnel

DE - Evander Hood - Pittsburgh Steelers
NT - Terrance Cody - Baltimore Ravens

ILB - Sean Lee- Dallas Cowboys)
ILB - Desmond Bishop - Green Bay Packers - (NaVorro Bowman - San Francisco 49ers if No-Homer)

S - Malcolm Jenkins - New Orleans Saints

Happy with those picks. Pretty much nailed the 3-4 ILBs :)

Unbiased
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I picked Austen Lane for the Jags. He's on the IR. Monroe was definitely the guy I should have picked.