PDA

View Full Version : Which new Head Coach will be the most successful?

49ersfan_87
07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
8 new Head Coaches have been hired by NFL teams this offseason. Of the 8, 7 of them are first time Head Coaches, with John Fox being the exception. Of course, they all face a big disadvantage for this season already by having to catch up to other coaches- add in a lockout that's gone into July and it gets even tougher to install a new coaching scheme. Keeping that all in mind, who do you think will be the most succesful new Head Coach of this bunch? I'm shooting for a long-term projection here, but if you don't want to think too far ahead and consider 2011 only, thats fine too.

Poll coming.

A Perfect Score
07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Jim Harbaugh is going to get alot of love here, but I've long been a fan of John Fox and I think he'll do wonders for that Denver franchise. I expect him to bring in another back to team with Moreno (DeAngelo Williams, welcome to Denver) for his customary two back set, and I think he'll shape that defense up faster then anyone expects. If Tebow can continue to progress and build on the positive things he showed last season, I wouldnt be surprised to see Denver do well this year under Fox's tutelage.

EDIT: I should also mention I absolutely love the Hue Jackson hiring for the Raiders and I think that he's going to do good things for that team as well.

Shane P. Hallam
07-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I think Munchak's consistency in the organization will really pull through and the Titans could end up being the team to take the reins from Indy down the line.

princefielder28
07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Jason Garrett

he's the only one who has a proven QB (and Pro Bowl caliber one at that)

John Fox and John Harbaugh would be #2 and #3 for me

dj825
07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
John Fox showed in Carolina he can take nothing and bring it to a super bowl before. in Denver he has a pretty decent amount of talent at all the right places, he loves defense and i gotta believe that defense is gonna be amazing in about 2 years, even if Tebow and the offense struggles in the coming years the defense will continuously put them in situations where it only takes about 14 points to win, much like Carolina a few years ago before out meltdown against the Cardinals in the playoffs.

The one problem Fox had in Carolina was stringing success with more success, he never was able to follow up a winning season with another winning season but also before last year never finished worse than 7-9. He needs to correct that but im confident he will be able to.

A big part of his struggles is his (or Jerry Richardsons) love of signing bargain bin free agents and not signing any big names that will produce, now Fox was always able to get alot out of those bargain bin guys but theyre still bargain bin guys.

Splat
07-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Jason Garrett not only because he has the most to work with but he all ready knows what he has. I feel sorry for the first year HC with all this CBA crap going on they are going to be fighting an up hill battle even more then usually.

niel89
07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm going with Harbaugh. What I saw first hand at Stanford makes me believe.

Other teams are in much better situations coming in IMO though.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm going with Fox and Rivera. I love Fox, he's a great coach. And I think Rivera is being slept on.

Both will bring the defense/run game philosophy to their teams and bring toughness. Carolina really isn't as horrible as we think, they just quit bc Fox was a lameduck, and quite honestly, I think Fox quit too.

Bengalsrocket
07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I voted Hue Jackson. In a weak division, he has a chance to come out on top. One of his strengths (the passing game) is Oakland's weakest area right now. If he can do what he's been working on for the last 20 years, I don't see why he couldn't make that team so much better than it was last year.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I like Hue, but you can't manufacture a passing attack. You need a qb. He would be wise to stick with the run, that's their money maker on offense.

Bengalsrocket
07-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I like Hue, but you can't manufacture a passing attack. You need a qb. He would be wise to stick with the run, that's their money maker on offense.

I actually agree with all this. Hopefully he doesn't try to turn that offense into one big pass happy mistake. But when they do throw it, hopefully they have more success than in recent years was my point. While they might not have the pieces for a good pass attack yet, I think Hue can teach those young receivers a lot about the game and put them in the right position.

ElectricEye
07-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm an unabashed Jim Harbaugh fanboy. The way those Stanford kids were coached the past few years was unbelievable. He obviously has to find the right guy at quarterback and build up the roster with some talent as well as find his type of football player, but I really feel like he's up to the task as long as he continues to surround himself with good people.

bigbluedefense
07-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm an unabashed Jim Harbaugh fanboy. The way those Stanford kids were coached the past few years was unbelievable. He obviously has to find the right guy at quarterback and build up the roster with some talent as well as find his type of football player, but I really feel like he's up to the task as long as he continues to surround himself with good people.

The key for Harbaugh will be how he transitions from coaching smart stanford boys to grown NFL men, who...to be honest, most aren't as smart as those Stanford kids.

It's easier to teach smart players. Let's see him try to teach a moron like Michael Crabtree. That's his true test.

I actually agree with all this. Hopefully he doesn't try to turn that offense into one big pass happy mistake. But when they do throw it, hopefully they have more success than in recent years was my point. While they might not have the pieces for a good pass attack yet, I think Hue can teach those young receivers a lot about the game and put them in the right position.

Agree completely.

ElectricEye
07-08-2011, 07:31 PM
The key for Harbaugh will be how he transitions from coaching smart stanford boys to grown NFL men, who...to be honest, most aren't as smart as those Stanford kids.

Yeah, I think that's the big thing to. He and Baalke defiantly have to be on the choosier side in terms of players. They'll have to actively pursue guys who will be "buy into the system" types. That was the big thing at Stanford. All those kids had conviction in what they were doing and the direction they were going in, along with responding to coaching very well.

hawkeye123
07-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I think that's the big thing to. He and Baalke defiantly have to be on the choosier side in terms of players. They'll have to actively pursue guys who will be "buy into the system" types. That was the big thing at Stanford. All those kids had conviction in what they were doing and the direction they were going in, along with responding to coaching very well.

Most of the 2011 draft for the niners fits that. Most of the players they drafted are high character guys with what looks like good work ethics.

Sloopy
07-09-2011, 08:59 AM
I gotta go Frazier here. I believe that the vikings are already a playoff team and with Favre gone they might have a pretty good shot. I know they have the defending champ in their division and a rookie QB to boot but look at what the Jets were able to do in Rex's first year with a good defense and a solid running game despite a rookie QB.

I know that Frazier may not be the same caliber coach as Rex is but I think he certainly has the pieces there to be successful this season

etk
07-09-2011, 09:35 AM
I like Harbaugh and Garrett. The rest are either mediocre or unknown.

M.O.T.H.
07-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Garrett should be just fine...so long as he doesnt abandon the run, as he did ever too frequently when Wade was in charge.

CashmoneyDrew
07-09-2011, 01:23 PM
I think Munchak's consistency in the organization will really pull through and the Titans could end up being the team to take the reins from Indy down the line.

I wish I was half as optimistic as you. :(

Brothgar
07-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm going to go with Hugh Jackson. firstly he has the easiest division of the bunch (except for Harbaugh) secondly he was the OC for Oakland so I will assume that it won't change that much. Thirdly he has an adequate QB and a damn good trio of RBs. The D did OK last year but will take a step back.

nepg
07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
I like John Fox. I think that's a great situation for a defensive mind.

stlouisfan37
07-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Despite the fact that I absolutely hate the Cowboys, I had to give this one to Jason Garrett, at least for the short term (next 2 seasons). I just think he has his system already in place and he knows what he has to work with. It's actually kind of unfair having him on the list.

Long term, I have to go with Jim Harbaugh, even though I absolutely hate the 49ers too. Once he gets things settled there and his pieces in place he will have success; I think he is a great football mind and has a winning attitude. I hope they come in 2nd in the West for years to come!

descendency
07-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I'll gladly eat the crow if I am wrong, but I'm 100% confident that it will be Harbaugh.

stlouisfan37
07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Gotta admit that it really is a 3-way race between Harbaugh, Garrett and Frazier. I don't see a ton of success for any of the others.

Smash28Dash34
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Hard to be optimistic when I find out I'm the only one that voted for Rivera lol

AntoinCD
07-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Long term Im going to go with Harbaugh. SF has a lot of quality pieces to build a franchise around if he can get even decent play from the QB position. For this year only I have to go with Garrett. The offense already knows his system and they have a number of potential pro bowlers on both sides of the ball(and not just because they're Dallas Cowboys)

Dam8610
07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Head says Harbaugh, heart says Frazier. Pat Shurmur is a darkhorse with a chance.

Raiderz4Life
07-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Obviously i voted Hugh Jackson...I sure hope I'm right =(

BlindSite
07-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Hard to be optimistic when I find out I'm the only one that voted for Rivera lol

I picked him too and I know we're Carolina homers, but consider this.

Jerry Richardson hasn't been overly tight fisted until the lock out loomed and as it stands with the current players as free agents the Panthers have the 2nd most cap space in the NFL.

What we know from the lockout proceedings is that as it appears Cam Newton's hit won't be overly high due to the proposed pay scale. Working with that model there is easily enough room to re-sign Charles Johnson, Ryan Kalil and DeAngelo Williams, they're the guys who'll command big money. In signing them the Panthers will still have space to pick up a defensive tackle or two and some insurance at corner back and remain well under the projected cap.

The offensive line in Carolina last year inspite of the sack numbers was actually one of the best in the league. source: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/13/2010-offensive-line-rankings-%E2%80%93-part-2/ and the two most elusive running backs source:
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/13/elusive-rating-2008-2010/

The defense is fairly solid on the provision they get the pieces I mentioned earlier.

QB is the biggest thing if they find a vet to let Newton sit and keep Pickles as far away from the field as possible Carolina could be a very good team very quickly. Last year clausen was beyond horrible and made the offensive supporting cast look a lot worse.

The division is tough and the schedule won't be all that easy, but the potential for a very fast turn around is very much in place.

LonghornsLegend
07-14-2011, 08:30 PM
I think Harbaugh has a keeper in Kaepernick. Their going to develop him exactly how you'd expect, and should for a developmental guy with high upside. He just needs someone to take their time with him and Harbaugh coaching him up makes me think it's going to work out really well.

Monomach
07-16-2011, 07:05 AM
For the short term I'm going to say Garrett. He was handed the most talent of the guys on the list, and there's no chance of him pulling a Josh McDaniels because those are already "his guys."

For the long term, I'm going with Munchak. Once Peyton Manning retires or declines, that will be a decent situation to be in.

DeathbyStat
07-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Garrett by default.....he has the best team around him.