PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward = DUI. Oh noes.

Jimmy
07-09-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/09/hines-ward-dui-arrested-georgia-dancing-with-the-stars-pittsburgh-steelers/

Tisk tisk. Gotta wonder if this would have happened if not for the extra free time.

Hines Ward -- star wide receiver for the Pittsburgh Steelers and reigning "Dancing With the Stars" champion -- was arrested this morning for driving under the influence of alcohol ... TMZ has learned.

It's funny because I can't stand Hines, but he's never really done anything off the field to warrant my dislike against him. Until now. Excuse the source.

Hines
07-09-2011, 09:21 AM
If he gets suspended for this, hell will be paid. Dumb decision on his part, but if others don't get suspended who have gotten in more trouble than Hines and Hines does, then I'm going to be upset.

etk
07-09-2011, 09:34 AM
If he gets suspended for this, hell will be paid. Dumb decision on his part, but if others don't get suspended who have gotten in more trouble than Hines and Hines does, then I'm going to be upset.

What are you talking about? The precedent is that you do get suspended for this. The only way he avoids suspension is if he didn't actually blow over like Mike Williams.

also inb4 Ray Lewis' idiocy.

Hines
07-09-2011, 09:42 AM
What are you talking about? The precedent is that you do get suspended for this. The only way he avoids suspension is if he didn't actually blow over like Mike Williams.

also inb4 Ray Lewis' idiocy.

People should get suspended, but they don't. Ask Braylon Edwards.

K Train
07-09-2011, 09:42 AM
good, cut him and move on to sanders and brown and use his overpaid salary to help lock up timmons, ike, and woodley

ellsy82
07-09-2011, 09:57 AM
good, cut him and move on to sanders and brown and use his overpaid salary to help lock up timmons, ike, and woodley

Wha?? I'm banning you from my Steeler friend list. Just because he's been squeaky clean doesn't mean the guy can't have fun. People make mistakes. If the holier than thou crowd wants to jump on this, I'm gonna laugh. Driving under the influence is dangerous and stupid, but lets not excuse the fact that police will pull you over for the minimal traffice violation (busted tail light, not using your blinker, black guys in nice cars). If they smell a wiff of alcohol on you, they're going to breathalize you.

K Train...I suppose we could use the cap room.

K Train
07-09-2011, 10:01 AM
im just ready to move on from ward....and i hate the steelers double standard on taking action for legal matters, you get cut or traded for ******* up unless your ben roethlisberger or james harrison.

*still bitter about santonio

youth movement and cap room were te way to go even before the DUI imo

Splat
07-09-2011, 10:10 AM
still bitter about santonio

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40357&highlight=Shane

senormysterioso
07-09-2011, 11:08 AM
players aren't subject to the personal conduct policy right now since they're locked out, right? He could have been snorting a line off of a dead hookers ass while they were pulling him over for driving under the influence and the NFL couldn't do anything.

ellsy82
07-09-2011, 11:15 AM
im just ready to move on from ward....and i hate the steelers double standard on taking action for legal matters, you get cut or traded for ******* up unless your ben roethlisberger or james harrison.

*still bitter about santonio

youth movement and cap room were te way to go even before the DUI imo

First...Ben didn't do anything. Second, I hear you on Harrison. It ticks me off that we let Holmes go. Double standard is right. However, it was more of a cap-move than anything else. Everyone thinks it was a bad move. But had we kept him (SB MVP), we would've paid out the ass for his services. In retrospect, we potentially lost the superbowl because we relied on a rookie WR that we got for that 5th pick (debatable) on the final drive.

ellsy82
07-09-2011, 11:15 AM
players aren't subject to the personal conduct policy right now since they're locked out, right? He could have been snorting a line off of a dead hookers ass while they were pulling him over for driving under the influence and the NFL couldn't do anything.

Haha...I like your style. You remind me of Ron Burgandy. Great guy.

Matthew Jones
07-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Not true:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20110627_nfl_plans_to_enforce_personal_conduct_pol icy_after_lockout

vidae
07-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Ben didn't do anything? Okay :p

Hines
07-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Hines blew a .046 twice.

CashmoneyDrew
07-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Was he arrested in Utah?

Jvig43
07-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Hines blew a .046 twice.

A link please?

Hines
07-09-2011, 12:53 PM
A link please?

Lemme try and find it. I've seen some places that have he blew that, but none provided a link. I don't know if it's true or not. Should have made myself more clear.

Hines
07-09-2011, 03:35 PM
While I continue to wait till the facts come out about what he blew, Georgia is nuts with their DUI laws:

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/automotive-law/dui.php

DBNYDP
07-09-2011, 09:48 PM
He can only get a DUI if he is over .08 right? Maybe that is just Cali/have it all wrong.

Shane P. Hallam
07-09-2011, 10:08 PM
That is just California, Georgia he can.

BigBanger
07-10-2011, 03:50 AM
He can only get a DUI if he is over .08 right? Maybe that is just Cali/have it all wrong.
You have it all wrong. Every state has a common law DWI, including California. The .08 or greater is for more serious / accurate charges. If every state didn't have a common law DWI (where you don't need a brethalyzer sample), then no one would submit to a breathalyzer and no one would ever be arrested for DWI.

If an officer performers all the standard tests and has probable cause to arrest someone for DWI, then he can make that arrest. If you refuse to take a breathalyzer, then your license is immediately revoked, you get another charge, another ticket and have no case to bring to trial (not blowing is basically an admission of guilt).

If you do blow and you have a reading of .07 or less, the officer can still arrest you for the common law DWI (which simply states that you are driving while impaired, or driving under the influence -- it has no designation on BAC level).

Basically, if you blow and have a BAC of more than a .08, you get the common law DWI and the 'per se' law of .08. or greater. It's two different charges. One charge says you were driving while impaired and the other says you were driving while having a BAC of .08 or greater.

That last sentence is about as simplified of an explanation as you are going to see or hear.

There's no way he was .046. That is nearly 6 times the legal limit and Hines would have to be a ranging alcoholic (drinking from the minute he wakes up to the second he goes to bed) to be able even function at that high of a BAC. Most people would be puking / blacking out. His lawyers also said they can prove he wasn't intoxicated. A .046? Not a chance they would release that kind of statement. They would shut up and plea.

vegas ace
07-10-2011, 04:16 AM
You have it all wrong. Every state has a common law DWI, including California. The .08 or greater is for more serious / accurate charges. If every state didn't have a common law DWI (where you don't need a brethalyzer sample), then no one would submit to a breathalyzer and no one would ever be arrested for DWI.

If an officer performers all the standard tests and has probable cause to arrest someone for DWI, then he can make that arrest. If you refuse to take a breathalyzer, then your license is immediately revoked, you get another charge, another ticket and have no case to bring to trial (not blowing is basically an admission of guilt).

If you do blow and you have a reading of .07 or less, the officer can still arrest you for the common law DWI (which simply states that you are driving while impaired, or driving under the influence -- it has no designation on BAC level).

Basically, if you blow and have a BAC of more than a .08, you get the common law DWI and the 'per se' law of .08. or greater. It's two different charges. One charge says you were driving while impaired and the other says you were driving while having a BAC of .08 or greater.

That last sentence is about as simplified of an explanation as you are going to see or hear.

There's no way he was .046. That is nearly 6 times the legal limit and Hines would have to be a ranging alcoholic (drinking from the minute he wakes up to the second he goes to bed) to be able even function at that high of a BAC. Most people would be puking / blacking out. His lawyers also said they can prove he wasn't intoxicated. A .046? Not a chance they would release that kind of statement. They would shut up and plea.

I was never great at math but isnt .08 > .046 ? that would mean that he barely had any booze in him at all....maybe 1 beer and some cough syrup??

K Train
07-10-2011, 09:38 AM

.046 is next to nothing, .46 would be dead or comatose. nice rant for nothing though

Smooth Criminal
07-10-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm dumbfounded any of these guys even bother driving anymore. If I ever have their kind of money the first thing I'm buying is a driver.

EricCartmann
07-10-2011, 10:17 PM
You can still get charged at .046, it's not a "Drinking under the Influence" but you can get charged for a "Wet and Wreckless". Which is way better than a DUI.

Jimmy
07-11-2011, 04:43 PM
according to police reports, hines failed field sobriety tests. so not only is he a fool, but he's a liar for saying he wasn't drunk.

TimD
07-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm dumbfounded any of these guys even bother driving anymore. If I ever have their kind of money the first thing I'm buying is a driver.

yeah exactly. i personally love to be driven around by people, youd think these guys would too

bucfan12
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
For the money these guys make, you'd think they can afford a cab ride to and from the bars. Im a college student and I know better not to drink and drive not only because it's dangerous, but rather expensive as well.

phlysac
07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
For the money these guys make, you'd think they can afford a cab ride to and from the bars. Im a college student and I know better not to drink and drive not only because it's dangerous, but rather expensive as well.

When the NFL isn't locked out, they provide 24 hour transportation services to their players should they wish to use it. Lockout notwithstanding, Ward is known to have a personal driver on his payroll and rarely is seen without him. Just more intrigue to the story.

bucfan12
07-11-2011, 06:36 PM
When the NFL isn't locked out, they provide 24 hour transportation services to their players should they wish to use it. Lockout notwithstanding, Ward is known to have a personal driver on his payroll and rarely is seen without him. Just more intrigue to the story.

Whats your point? Just because there isnt a 24 hr transportation service gives him reason to do this? Please. You're telling me a guy who makes millions of dollars over the years can't afford a taxi? PFFT

phlysac
07-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Whats your point? Just because there isnt a 24 hr transportation service gives him reason to do this? Please. You're telling me a guy who makes millions of dollars over the years can't afford a taxi? PFFT

Reading comprehension FTMFW!!!! I simply mentioned that the NFL provides a transportation service which would even allow the players to not have to attain the services of a taxi. However, the big part of my statement that you missed is that Hines Ward has a personal driver and STILL didn't use him. Why would a player use a 24 hour service provided by the League or a taxi, when they can't even use the personal driver that's on their payroll. Poor choices are poor choices.

Don't mean to sound condescending, it isn't my intent. I was just frustrated at the misinterpretation. I'm in NO WAY condoning Ward's alleged activity or supporting him.