PDA

View Full Version : Nick Foles, QB, Arizona

ellsy82
07-09-2011, 09:40 AM
I dunno guys. Kid seems to have it all. Doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but 80% of the kids coming out of college and into the pros don't either. I don't think he has a weak arm, at all. I've seen him throw several mid-deep passes that were right on the money.

His accuracy is amazing. Sure, he might be without his primary receiver this year, but I can see great things coming for this guy. Dare I say, I believe he'll be drafted in the top 15 before its all said and done. That's not something new, as many draftnik websites have him going in the top 10 already. A team like Miami or Seattle might consider him in the mid-first.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nick+Foles+Iowa+v+Arizona+t0GHSTqwPN1l.jpg

bored of education
07-09-2011, 10:13 AM
<----- this guy is a fan of Foles. I think he will be a 2nd/3rd rounder. he does dink and dump but I think he overall game translates so well to the next level.

ellsy82
07-09-2011, 04:15 PM
<----- this guy is a fan of Foles. I think he will be a 2nd/3rd rounder. he does dink and dump but I think he overall game translates so well to the next level.

Due to the gameplan he dinks and dunks. I've seen the guy hit WRs in stride down the field. Partly due to the receiver, mostly due to him. He puts the ball where the receiver can catch it...down the field. I like this guy. I think he's gonna be the next great thing in the NFL.

Edit: Reminds me of Warner.

ElectricEye
07-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't see the hype. At all. I see a guy who is pretty good at operating within the confines of his offense, but isn't even a master of it by any means. The accuracy is mostly an illusion of the dinking and dunking; I've seen him routinely miss easy throws with a guy stopped without momentum and his ball placement leaves a ton to be desired.

The film on him against that solid, pro style system at Stanford is really a lot uglier than the medicore numbers suggest too. He was slow to get in and out of his progressions, stared receivers, and just generally struggled. I was more impressed with Matt Scott as a pro prospect last year, to be completely honest. Reminds me a ton of what people thought of Tony Pike before his draft season.

princefielder28
07-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't see the hype. At all. I see a guy who is pretty good at operating within the confines of his offense, but isn't even a master of it by any means. The accuracy is mostly an illusion of the dinking and dunking; I've seen him routinely miss easy throws with a guy stopped without momentum and his ball placement leaves a ton to be desired.

The film on him against that solid, pro style system at Stanford is really a lot uglier than the medicore numbers suggest too. He was slow to get in and out of his progressions, stared receivers, and just generally struggled. I was more impressed with Matt Scott as a pro prospect last year, to be completely honest. Reminds me a ton of what people thought of Tony Pike before his draft season.

I think Tony Pike is a real good recent prospect comparison for Nick Foles and agree completely with your assessment of his abilities

here's how i rate the top draft eligible QBs for 2012

1. Andrew Luck : Stanford*
2. Matt Barkley : USC*
3. Kirk Cousins : Michigan State
4. Ryan Lindley : San Diego State
5. Geno Smith : West Virginia*
6. Chandler Harnish : Northern Illinois
7. Landry Jones : Oklahoma*
8. Ryan Tannehill : Texas A&M
9. Nick Foles : Arizona
10. Brandon Weeden : Oklahoma State

rawdawg
07-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I like Foles a lot. I really expected him to take a huge step last year and put his name into the 2011 draft. But Foles reminds me a lot of Matt Schaub. They are almost the exact same size. Foles is listed at 6-5, 245. Schaub measured at 6-5 1/2, 243 at the combine. Have similar arm strength. Solid, not great. Not what you'd expect from a guy with great size. Schaub also put up extremely high completion % numbers in a short passing offense in college. I think the athletic ability is similar.

I think Foles is a solid 2nd round prospect, that probably needs to sit for 2 years before becoming a starter (Schaub sat for 3 years behind Vick in Atlanta). He hasn't run a pro style offense or taken a ton of snaps from center. So, he needs time to learn to read the entire field and other intracasies of playing NFL QB. But I can see him having a similar to career to what Schaub has had so far (minus the amazing 2009 anamoly season).

FUNBUNCHER
07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Schaub didn't play in a WCO at UVA.

hockey619
07-09-2011, 09:29 PM
I think Tony Pike is a real good recent prospect comparison for Nick Foles and agree completely with your assessment of his abilities

not a robert griffin fan? he needs some work but id personally take him over a lot of those guys.

princefielder28
07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
not a robert griffin fan? he needs some work but id personally take him over a lot of those guys.

i wouldn't say i'm not a fan, i just wanna see how he's progressed as a passer and his positioning in my rankings is currently just outside the top 10 but he could work his way up rather quickly

ElectricEye
07-09-2011, 09:44 PM

I like that list. I would put RGIII somewhere in there and swap Lindley and Cousins, but aside from that it's perfect.

Hurricanes25
07-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Foles' accuracy really stands out to me.The thing is as mentioned above, he plays in a QB friendly offense. As of now, I would say he is a solid 3rd rounder.

rawdawg
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Schaub didn't play in a WCO at UVA.

I didn't say he did.

YAYareaRB
07-11-2011, 02:03 AM
wouldya look at that hair!

StickSkills
07-11-2011, 03:46 AM
Stephen Garcia is where it's at.

Mr. Offseason
07-11-2011, 11:03 PM
I would be very surprised if Geno Smith and Harnish ended up getting drafted anywhere near as high as Tannehill, but I guess that's just me.

Having Tannehill behind those two, and potentially Robert Griffin like others mentioned, is outraegous in my opinion.

Cigaro
07-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Stephen Garcia is where it's at.

Where what is, the alcohol?

soybean
07-12-2011, 01:47 AM
I dunno guys. Kid seems to have it all. Doesn't have a cannon for an arm, but 80% of the kids coming out of college and into the pros don't either. I don't think he has a weak arm, at all. I've seen him throw several mid-deep passes that were right on the money.

His accuracy is amazing. Sure, he might be without his primary receiver this year, but I can see great things coming for this guy. Dare I say, I believe he'll be drafted in the top 15 before its all said and done. That's not something new, as many draftnik websites have him going in the top 10 already. A team like Miami or Seattle might consider him in the mid-first.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Nick+Foles+Iowa+v+Arizona+t0GHSTqwPN1l.jpg

should've done a thread search first...

Big Bird
07-12-2011, 12:10 PM
With the exception of Joe Flacco, I'm never a fan of guys who basically quit another school because they couldn't win the starting job. Foles left Michigan State because he was "homesick," but then went to Arizona, which is still a pretty good distance from his hometown of Austin, TX. That is just a bit of a red flag for me.

Also, his arm strength is average to good, nothing great, and his accuracy, specifically on the deep ball, is erratic. He also crumbles under pressure. I really don't even view him as a Top 100 prospect.