PDA

View Full Version : Church?

PittPete
03-24-2007, 09:49 AM
OK; I can vaguely recall this guy from college. He had incredible quickness for a linebacker but had his career ended by injury, and now ----- he's a steeler. Help me out, what's the deal here?

mikehop05
03-24-2007, 11:48 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07082/772042-66.stm

seems like a good pickup, if we get him for cheap might as well give him a shot

skarocksoi
03-24-2007, 01:10 PM
sounds like he has a big injury problem, but it sounds like he could be a good special teamer. Thats always a plus.

steel man
03-24-2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07082/772042-66.stm

seems like a good pickup, if we get him for cheap might as well give him a shot

i agree 100%, sounds like he could be another steal like fast willie. if he did not get hurt it sound like he would have been a play maker, so maybe he could still be

Hines
03-24-2007, 02:23 PM
will he make the team and make an impact

mikehop05
03-24-2007, 03:26 PM
will he make the team and make an impact

if he is fully recovered from his injury then yeah im sure he can make the team, and if he can make the team then my guess is he'll make a big impact

NFLBOY
03-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Another big question mark with this move by the Steelers and their new coach.

mikehop05
03-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Another big question mark with this move by the Steelers and their new coach.

???

i guess yes this is a questionable move considering his injuries, but theres really no harm in signing a guy like this for cheap, to see if he can come in and compete...

i dont know how you can question this move at all really

skarocksoi
03-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I really don't see how this is that bad if we sign him for cheap. Of course, it seems anything the Steelers do with Tomlin at the helm is horrible in your eyes, so it doesn't really matter what anyone says for you. Im sure if you were GM we'd have the exact same team that brought us to that super 8-8 season last year and be about 2 Million under the cap to sign our rookies so they can end up on the practice squad because we don't have any sort of competition for spots on the roster.

Change is a good thing, and a little less negativity about everything would just be super.

mikehop05
03-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I really don't see how this is that bad if we sign him for cheap. Of course, it seems anything the Steelers do with Tomlin at the helm is horrible in your eyes, so it doesn't really matter what anyone says for you. Im sure if you were GM we'd have the exact same team that brought us to that super 8-8 season last year and be about 2 Million under the cap to sign our rookies so they can end up on the practice squad because we don't have any sort of competition for spots on the roster.

Change is a good thing, and a little less negativity about everything would just be super.

very nicely put

NFLBOY
03-26-2007, 01:14 PM

Change is a good thing, and a little less negativity about everything would just be super. Do you think that maybe the offseason turmoil with Ben and not knowing what Cowher was going to do, had anything to do with last year? Think a little bro. That was the team that won the superbowl. Sorry I don't jump all over my team for having an 8-8 team, and then lick the balls of the new coach who hasn't done a thing. Just cause I don't like the direction of the team so far, doesn't mean you know more than I. I am skeptical because of the success of Cowher and the Steelers. We just hired a guy who has no experience besides 1 year as a DC and his pass defense sucked. Don't tell me I'm jumping all over this guy because he is great. I'm looking at these moves as not being very good. Why sign a guy who hasn't done a thing for basically 2 years, when the draft is coming up? Also maybe look at a trade. It's like the lions signing mike williams. That has really paid off. If we are going to take a chance on someone, at least do it with someone who hasn't had injuries. I'm sure there are plenty who could do the same with the cheap amount of money.

mikehop05
03-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Do you think that maybe the offseason turmoil with Ben and not knowing what Cowher was going to do, had anything to do with last year? Think a little bro. That was the team that won the superbowl. Sorry I don't jump all over my team for having an 8-8 team, and then lick the balls of the new coach who hasn't done a thing. Just cause I don't like the direction of the team so far, doesn't mean you know more than I. I am skeptical because of the success of Cowher and the Steelers. We just hired a guy who has no experience besides 1 year as a DC and his pass defense sucked. Don't tell me I'm jumping all over this guy because he is great. I'm looking at these moves as not being very good. Why sign a guy who hasn't done a thing for basically 2 years, when the draft is coming up? Also maybe look at a trade. It's like the lions signing mike williams. That has really paid off. If we are going to take a chance on someone, at least do it with someone who hasn't had injuries. I'm sure there are plenty who could do the same with the cheap amount of money.

you act like we just gave him 10mil guarenteed, we signed the guy for pretty much next to nothing, and are giving a guy who was great before injury a chance to prove himself, if he doesnt then oh well... what are we out? like 400,000? if that? we'll pay him less than a 7th round pick. how the hell do you compare this to mike williams, who was a first round pick?

also, the reason we were 8 - 8 last year had little to do with ben's injuries, he even said that himself, it did had something to do with the relationship with he and whis, basically the rooneys chose their franchise QB over their OC for the HC job.

what exactly would you do if you were in charge of the organization? if you have such a problem show us an alternate way? and don't say keeping joey porter because he already said we didnt have enough to pay him, and thats the truth on that, it was a business move

but tell us what you would do, instead of criticizing the steelers for doing what they always do in the offseason in grabbing 1 decent FA, then bringing in others that can compete for a roster spot

terribletowel39
03-26-2007, 04:03 PM
umm....i like the idea of him. doesn't seem to hurt anything to bring him in and give him a shot. not saying it will happen or likely but he could be our defense willie parker.

skarocksoi
03-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah everybody seems pretty quick to criticize and complain and say everything is going to hell in a handbasket before we even see what happens. No one can predict the future and say we are screwed just things are different. We all have to wait and see until about 1 year from now to judge how things work out.

Anyways, it seems like we are bringing in some cheap guys in FA to play a backup role/compete for positions. Do we think that they will make the squad or end up as training camp cuts if the rookies outshine them?

NFLBOY
03-26-2007, 07:16 PM
you act like we just gave him 10mil guarenteed, we signed the guy for pretty much next to nothing, and are giving a guy who was great before injury a chance to prove himself, if he doesnt then oh well... what are we out? like 400,000? if that? we'll pay him less than a 7th round pick. how the hell do you compare this to mike williams, who was a first round pick?

also, the reason we were 8 - 8 last year had little to do with ben's injuries, he even said that himself, it did had something to do with the relationship with he and whis, basically the rooneys chose their franchise QB over their OC for the HC job.

what exactly would you do if you were in charge of the organization? if you have such a problem show us an alternate way? and don't say keeping joey porter because he already said we didnt have enough to pay him, and thats the truth on that, it was a business move

but tell us what you would do, instead of criticizing the steelers for doing what they always do in the offseason in grabbing 1 decent FA, then bringing in others that can compete for a roster spot
#1 thing to do would have been to wait and see what other coaches were going to be fired. Then I would have hired someone with experience and who has a proven track record. Like I said many times, I hope Tomlin pans out, but until that time he is going to be under a microscope and should be. I don't like his moves so far and you do. So what. This is a place to give out opinions, doesn't mean mine our wrong and your are not. I'm just not going to think everything is rosie and act like we are going back to the superbowl. I think we are straddling the fence and don't really know what direction we are going in. The draft could easily change my mind, but right now I see nothing that has been an improvement.

terribletowel39
03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
#1 thing to do would have been to wait and see what other coaches were going to be fired. Then I would have hired someone with experience and who has a proven track record. Like I said many times, I hope Tomlin pans out, but until that time he is going to be under a microscope and should be. I don't like his moves so far and you do. So what. This is a place to give out opinions, doesn't mean mine our wrong and your are not. I'm just not going to think everything is rosie and act like we are going back to the superbowl. I think we are straddling the fence and don't really know what direction we are going in. The draft could easily change my mind, but right now I see nothing that has been an improvement.

saying what you said, i kinda agree with you on some things, but in a way you have to look at it like this. how do you improve on a coach that didn't go under a 6-10 record, won the superbowl, made it to another, went to like 4-5 conference games and has one of the winningest percentages of all time?? how do you replace joey porter?? we don't have anybody on our roster that could provide what joey porter provides and the FO obviously feels that way or they wouldn/t be bringing in other guys. tomlin is not an improvement over the chin. no but he is what we have now and he is the best coach for the job and i believe that whole heartedly because the rooney's picked him. i also agree that we are straddling the fence, hell we came off of an 8-8 season. and to a steeler fan that is bad. all we as fans can do that is trust that the FO and coach tomlin are making the right decisions and bringing in the right guys. change is hard for pittsburgh fans and every pittsburgh fan knows that. but i don't see how you can't believe that tomlin will work out, seeing as how we don't have many bad seasons as a franchise. all considered you make a good argument and like i said i agree on some of it, but this is what we got and we have to run with it.

skarocksoi
03-26-2007, 08:49 PM
What annoys me about your attitude is the fact that because Tomlin is our new coach, everything we do is a bad move. I'm betting if Cowher were still here you would be singing praises about the moves we make and defending him every step of the way. Despite the fact that we're doing the same thing we always do this offseason as opposed to any other, they are still "questionable moves"

I know you don't think Tomlin was the best choice, and thats fine, but who else did you want? Grimm? Whisenhunt? With about a third of the head coaching jobs open in the NFL this year, Grimm managed to get none. The front office obviously saw something they didn't like in Whiz because they didn't even really attempt to try and make him our head coach.

Who else then? Rivera? He didnt' get a head coaching job. Norv Turner? Maybe Shottenheimer after they fired him? There didn't seem to be too many other solid choices from my perspective. I'd rather take a gamble on a well spoken individual who seems to be pretty smart, can command the attention of just about anyone he talks to, and is highly spoken of by everyone who has ever met the man.

I understand you dont want to lavish praises on a man who hasn't proven anything in the NFL, but on that same note, you can't condemn him either. He hasn't done anything as a head coach and so we can't really judge how good or bad he is. You keep throwing around these double standards that aren't really fair. He could be cowher mixed with bellicheck or he could be Denny Green. We wont know until its all over.

PittPete
03-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Girls, Girls, Girls!!! You've turned my thread into a p-ing contest! I just wanted to know if someone had any insight on Marcellus Church and his rehabilitation. Players like this are good to sign because they have some upside without any risk and we get some serious competition in camp. Our linebacking corps is weaker in depth than at any time I can remember. After Harrison and Hagans we are weak outside. Inside, Kriewaldt is a solid backup but the F&F boys are older and we could use some fresh meat there too. I'm hoping more and more we can have a PSU draft and get Poz and Shaw; and Connors next year!!