PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton on CBA: "Could be reached today if..."

bucfan12
07-12-2011, 08:39 AM
...they sat down and met today for an extended period of time." "Instead, they will spread it over the next week to 10 days."

You got to be kidding right? If you can sit down today for 12 hours and get this thing done, why don't you? Honestly, this is BS. 1st of all, talks didn't start getting serious until the end of June. Why weren't these negotiations and talks taking place over the past 6 Months? Come on. The league and the players are on the verge of losing billions of $$$$. Honestly, how much time are you going to waste?

hockey619
07-12-2011, 08:47 AM
...they sat down and met today for an extended period of time." "Instead, they will spread it over the next week to 10 days."

You got to be kidding right? If you can sit down today for 12 hours and get this thing done, why don't you? Honestly, this is BS. 1st of all, talks didn't start getting serious until the end of June. Why weren't these negotiations and talks taking place over the past 6 Months? Come on. The league and the players are on the verge of losing billions of $$$$. Honestly, how much time are you going to waste?

Same as rookie contracts, they could be going on for months but they dont get serious until everyone has to take their bs offers off the table and negotiate for real. Everything before that is each side throwing out bad offers hoping that media pressure will make them cave for something they definitely dont want.

I think part of the reason theyre taking their time is because owners will once again jack prices up, despite some teams already struggling to fill their stadiums with such expensive tickets. If they all wait a week and cut it really close, people will be so happy football is back that the fact that the owners are price gouging the hell out of them will be largely ignored.

vidae
07-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Things keep popping up. I'd be surprised if this was done before August.

Shane P. Hallam
07-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Things keep popping up. I'd be surprised if this was done before August.

All signs point to this month. I'd be surprised if it i not completed by the end of July.

bucfan12
07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
All signs point to this month. I'd be surprised if it i not completed by the end of July.

Yeah, but over the past several weeks, they keep saying they're extremely close.

Last Thursday, Sal Palentonio said expect a deal reached in the next 18-24 hrs. and that was a load of crap. People reported July 15 and that isn't looking like it's going to happen. Now the 21st is the target date of July. Hmm, willing to put money that an agreement won't be reached by then?

All this time the media was talking about the revenue sharing being the biggest obstical. Turns out the rookie cap and contracts and Free Agrency is just as big of an issue as well.

killxswitch
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
So glad I don't have season tix anymore. I love the NFL but I hate the guys that run it.

phlysac
07-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Many people said that the deal wouldn't get done until the last moment. This is just more proof of that. July 15 is now July 21 because they figure they can spare 6 more days and not lose revenue.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
they won't miss 1 down of football. this has been the plan from day 1. both sides could afford to BS the other side into thinking they had the upper hand and maybe get a deal passed that favored them. they both have called each others bluffs and now they will get it down in the 11th hour of the final day possible.

the loser? easy, the fans that pay the $$$. the football will be watered down if not terrible in the beginning. preseason was almost unwatchable in the 2nd half of games already. add to this that most teams will be playing with 40+ players that will not know the playbook from a Readers Digest.

i'm glad football will be returning quickly. i'm just sad to see that the NFL and the NFLPA didn't keep the fans in the front of their minds during the negotiations. although, it won't hurt any of the financially that they didn't. so, who can blame them. i'm just as guilty as any other sucker. i'll buy a new jersey this year. i'm like a crackhead looking for a rock, as long as the taste washes out.

FTRWRTR
07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, but over the past several weeks, they keep saying they're extremely close.

Last Thursday, Sal Palentonio said expect a deal reached in the next 18-24 hrs. and that was a load of crap. People reported July 15 and that isn't looking like it's going to happen. Now the 21st is the target date of July. Hmm, willing to put money that an agreement won't be reached by then?

All this time the media was talking about the revenue sharing being the biggest obstical. Turns out the rookie cap and contracts and Free Agrency is just as big of an issue as well.The important difference is that before they didn't lose money. They play the preseason in August and if they don't have a deal by then they'll lose alot of money.

bucfan12
07-12-2011, 07:29 PM
The important difference is that before they didn't lose money. They play the preseason in August and if they don't have a deal by then they'll lose alot of money.

Reports are that they won't play the Hall of Fame game, meaning they lose some money.

I mean, you can't expect training camp and FA to start on Jul. 28th and play a game 10 days later.

stlouisfan37
07-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I read an article today from Forbes magazine. It listed the 50 most valuable sports franchises in the world. All 32 NFL teams made the list, including the Jacksonville Jaguars, who are on the verge of leaving town because they can't get a home sellout to save their lives. The Dallas Cowboys were second on the list, valued at $1.8 billion.

The article went on to talk about how Jerry Jones pulls in over $100 million a year from all the club seats and private boxes in his shiny new stadium. So I have to say that I side with the players on this one. The whole complaint from the owners has been that they need to take more $$$ off the top to pay for things like stadiums and such. Jones is the first one to pipe up when talking about how big his loan payments are, but that stadium is more than paying for itself and there is absolutely no reason why the players should cough up dough when the great fans of America's team are handing him money hand over fist.

It isn't just Jones, either. Owners all over the league have been griping that they are losing money. I don't believe that they are, save for maybe one or two small market teams that lose money on paper before they receive their tv and endorsement subsidies. And if they are losing money, they have no one to blame but themselves. Every year on the eve of free agency there are a dozen articles talking about how NFL teams are opening up their checkbooks to offer tens of millions of dollars to players who rarely live up to their paycheck. If I was a player I would be insulted at the notion that my pocketbook should be held accountable for such outlandish spending.

Isn't it fitting that all these billionaires are complaining about not being able to keep up with the Joneses, Jones actually is a Jones, and we are all just Jonesing to get this thing over with?

Ness
07-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes this is starting to really piss me off. Get a ******* deal done already. You've had months and months. Stop playing stupid games.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnlvo5BUNR1qfhuu5.gif

Bucs_Rule
07-12-2011, 08:39 PM
The fact that it could get done in 12 hours of work is great progress. It means a deal will happen to save the season.

When the lockout started it was a real possibility we could miss some games. Now its almost certainly we won't. I'm happy. Whether it happens this week or in a couple it won't change that.

stlouisfan37
07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
I have to say that if there is one positive thing to come from this, it is that there will probably be a few veterans who can extend their careers by another year just from having experience. There are always players who can still play but are left out because they are 32. Many of them will stick somewhere this year due to time constraints.

Shane P. Hallam
07-12-2011, 10:20 PM
they won't miss 1 down of football.

Already will. If this gets done on the 21st, we lose the HOF Game.

stlouisfan37
07-12-2011, 10:31 PM

And can I just say that there are 2 Rams and a Bear getting inducted into the Hall this year. Who cares if it's just the first preseason game? I would be mad as hell if I was from Chicago or St. Louis and had tickets for that weekend and the game was cancelled.

phlysac
07-12-2011, 11:32 PM

Which is precisely why the "21st" is the new "date the deal will get done."

MucBuc
07-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Yay, so 21 is the new 15 (which was the new 4), let's party! Sorry, but after reading for months (I think even last year there were a few articles stating this) that they're "close, but there's still some work to do", I don't give a crap about new deadlines or announcements like "could get done if...".
Get it done or not, but stop fooling the people who pay your bills.