PDA

View Full Version : If the Lions stay at 2, their pick will be . . .

Xiomera
03-24-2007, 10:36 AM
http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/03/if_the_lions_stay_at_no_2_thei.html

Tom Kowalski gives us the answer . . .

Thoughts?

Addict
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/03/if_the_lions_stay_at_no_2_thei.html

Tom Kowalski gives us the answer . . .

Thoughts?

Well... I don't agree with the 'brady quinn (they don't want)' but otherwise I think Johnson if available or Thomas if Johnson is gone is a correct statement. That is IF we get stuck at #2, which is unlikely.

TacticaLion
03-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Well... I don't agree with the 'brady quinn (they don't want)' but otherwise I think Johnson if available or Thomas if Johnson is gone is a correct statement. That is IF we get stuck at #2, which is unlikely.

When I think about the #2 pick and our biggest needs... I honestly think Gaines Adams would help us more than Brady, Thomas or CJesus. Honestly. When I put my list of needs on paper... and imagine going into round 2 without filling one of those needs... I have to question that first round pick.

Drafting Gaines Adams fills a HUGE need and gives us a dominant prescence at that position... and we need that. We could then go into round 2 and draft Meriweather or McCauley or Beason.

So, in my opinion, if we CAN'T trade down, we need to take the best player that fills the biggest need. At #2, to me, that's Gaines Adams.

Aard
03-24-2007, 11:41 AM
The Lions do need a bona fide pass-rusher to make the Tampa 2 click, but #2 strikes me as too early to reach for Gaines Adams. Even an unbalanced trade down to #4 or #5 gets us Adams and an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. A balanced trade gets us even more.

I keep looking at DE Charles Johnson and wonder if her might be there for us in the second round.

Iamcanadian
03-24-2007, 11:52 AM
When I think about the #2 pick and our biggest needs... I honestly think Gaines Adams would help us more than Brady, Thomas or CJesus. Honestly. When I put my list of needs on paper... and imagine going into round 2 without filling one of those needs... I have to question that first round pick.

Drafting Gaines Adams fills a HUGE need and gives us a dominant prescence at that position... and we need that. We could then go into round 2 and draft Meriweather or McCauley or Beason.

So, in my opinion, if we CAN'T trade down, we need to take the best player that fills the biggest need. At #2, to me, that's Gaines Adams.

I totally agree with you with the exception being that I could also see Quinn. Either way, that is the draft that makes the most sense to me. Without a QB, Martz will be very limited by Kitna to around 6 wins and without a DL that mounts a ferocious pass rush, our cover 2 defense will remain very mediocre. Those remain the 2 positions that can keep us from being a playoff contender. We have other holes for sure but they aren't as crucial to the overall success of the team as these 2 positions.

Xiomera
03-24-2007, 11:57 AM
The Lions do need a bona fide pass-rusher to make the Tampa 2 click, but #2 strikes me as too early to reach for Gaines Adams. Even an unbalanced trade down to #4 or #5 gets us Adams and an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. A balanced trade gets us even more.

I keep looking at DE Charles Johnson and wonder if her might be there for us in the second round.

Yeah, and I really like Charles Johnson too. I am starting to think that we should deal down and NOT take Gaines Adams like we all originally planned for. Landry or Willis would be tremendous if we deal out of the top 5.

I actually think Detroit needs to add TWO defensive ends in the draft. One on day one and one of day two.

Iamcanadian
03-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Yeah, and I really like Charles Johnson too. I am starting to think that we should deal down and NOT take Gaines Adams like we all originally planned for. Landry or Willis would be tremendous if we deal out of the top 5.

I actually think Detroit needs to add TWO defensive ends in the draft. One on day one and one of day two.

I just cannot see what you like Johnson for. Johnson can play in a conventional 4-3 but simply isn't fast or quick enough to ever be effective in a cover 2. Adams and perhaps Spencer are the only DE's with real cover 2 ability and enough talent to play in our system.

Xiomera
03-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I just cannot see what you like Johnson for. Johnson can play in a conventional 4-3 but simply isn't fast or quick enough to ever be effective in a cover 2. Adams and perhaps Spencer are the only DE's with real cover 2 ability and enough talent to play in our system.

I like Spencer more. I'm just saying, I think some people view Adams as the only solution. I like Spencer, Bazuin, Abiamiri, and some other guys we can get after round one.

Xiomera
03-24-2007, 12:15 PM
I do not want another Kalimba Edwards, and Adams reminds me an awful lot of him. He's not worth that high of a pick, IMO.

LionSmack
03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Johnson can play in a conventional 4-3 but simply isn't fast or quick enough to ever be effective in a cover 2. Adams and perhaps Spencer are the only DE's with real cover 2 ability and enough talent to play in our system.

That is such utter nonsense. Stop pretending you're such an expert. If Charles Johnson can stop the run and get to the QB, both of which he can do, then he's fine for the Cover 2 or any other defense.

Iamcanadian
03-24-2007, 12:33 PM
That is such utter nonsense. Stop pretending you're such an expert. If Charles Johnson can stop the run and get to the QB, both of which he can do, then he's fine for the Cover 2 or any other defense.

Funny, he not as fast as Chicago, Indy's or Tampa Bay's DE's. That's a fact not my opinion. I don't pretend to be an expert but I do my homework on players especially concerning the draft. Certain players by their build and athletic ability fit different systems, a cover 2 doesn't require shutdown corners with elite speed but it certainly does require DE's with elite speed. That is simply another fact and not my opinion. Suggest you do your homework before stating an opinion. Then it would mean something.

ironman4579
03-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Personally, I'd prefer to deal down and stockpile some extra picks. You might even be able to package a couple other picks and move up into the end of the first round again. 2 first round picks rather than 1 first rounder and 2 second rounders? I'm not sure I like the idea, just throwing it out there.

TacticaLion
03-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I like Spencer more. I'm just saying, I think some people view Adams as the only solution. I like Spencer, Bazuin, Abiamiri, and some other guys we can get after round one.Exactly. If we need a "pure pass-rusher" those can be found in later rounds... which lets us spend our 1st round pick on a great all-around talent.

As said above, trading down and drafting Landry or Willis is my ideal situation. If they stay and 2 and draft Adams... and he's the pass-rushing phenom that he could be... great. But, I'd much rather trade down and take Landry or Willis.

MP123
03-24-2007, 03:45 PM
I think they'll take Brady Quinn. They have Backus and Foster at the Tackle spots, so I'm eliminating Thomas. And Adams is a reach at #2.

TacticaLion
03-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I think they'll take Brady Quinn. They have Backus and Foster at the Tackle spots, so I'm eliminating Thomas. And Adams is a reach at #2.Then why not CJ?

I don't think Marinelli will care how much of a "reach" it is. If one player is expected to go from 10-20, and he wants him and feels that he'll fit perfectly, he'll take him.