PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison Goes OFF on Goddell and Others

Hines
07-13-2011, 09:24 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/james-harrison-takes-aim-at-goodell-others-in-new-interview/

OHHHHHHHHHHH boy, get your popcorn ready. I don't like that he's ripping teamates, though. At least he's honest, eh?

K Train
07-13-2011, 09:28 AM
i usually hate when steelers talk and cause media uproars, but id rather listen to harrison rant than see mendehall hold a press conference to tell us why 911 didnt happen

stlouisfan37
07-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Can I ask a stupid question? He can't be held accountable to the league for his statements while the league is in a lockout can he?

K Train
07-13-2011, 09:48 AM
i think they want you to think they are, but im not sure they can ACTUALLY do anything, even if they try i think it would be easy to fight it

stlouisfan37
07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I have to say I think he is right to a point where Goodell is concerned. I don't advocate going about it the way he did, but in a lot of ways Goodell tends to act more like a middle school vice-principal than an NFL commissioner. He could stand to learn a thing or two about picking his battles and not nitpicking every little thing everyone does. I do see where he feels like he needs to keep guys in line for the good of the league, but if he keeps the leash too short he may just lose them all.

Splat
07-13-2011, 10:08 AM
James Harrison ranting about something what else is new?

LonghornsLegend
07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Damn, dude was flying off the handle, why take shots at Ben?

In a recent interview with Men's Journal magazine, Steelers OLB James Harrison harshly criticized Ben Roethlisberger's Super Bowl performance, suggesting the quarterback is riding the defense's coat tails.
"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again," said Harrison. "Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

And he went pretty hard on Goodell too:

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison said of Goodell. "I hate him and will never respect him." Among the words also used by Harrison to describe Goodell: crook, devil, puppet, and dictator -- as well as a *** slur. Harrison also criticized teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall for their Super Bowl performances while trashing former Patriots Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns") and Texans LB Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind").

I know he hates Goodell, but he kinda threw some shots at his teammates, and I wonder how the Steelers will react to this more then anyone else.

phlysac
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3610/mg7134final1.jpg
At least Troy Polamalu is the only football player he respects, fully.

Splat
07-13-2011, 10:41 AM
"He is not a smart man but he knows what football is."

bucfan12
07-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Well, he isn't wrong to say Brian Cushing is juiced out of his mind. I mean, look at the guy. Vains popping out of his bulging neck.

And, honestly, Goodell is a darn fool and a terrible commisioner for our league.

Hines
07-13-2011, 10:45 AM
I have no problem with what Harrison has said. The only thing that bothers me is that he had to bash teamates to the media. If he did it behind closed doors, I wouldn't care.

LonghornsLegend
07-13-2011, 10:55 AM
But what he said about Ben was really uncalled for. Come on now. That's not gonna fly with the Rooney's no way no how.

Hines
07-13-2011, 10:56 AM
But what he said about Ben was really uncalled for. Come on now. That's not gonna fly with the Rooney's no way no how.

It was uncalled for. IIRC, James only had 1 tackle that game.

Trogdor
07-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Loved this. The guy has 1 tackle in the Super Bowl and then tees off on his teammates for losing the SB. Pro-tip: Do your job better before you criticize others.

I also liked that the league is racist... despite his 75k fine for hitting a BLACK receiver wedged between his first fine 5k for VY and his 20k (3rd offense on Brees).

Modern day slavery I tell ya. NFL players have some severe entitlement issues.

phlysac
07-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Allows for unfunny comedians such as myself to dust off this world-famous classic...

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3716/kentrws20090501003701.jpg

No offense to anyone.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Prior to the season starting, it sounded like the Pittsburgh lockerroom really didn't like Ben at all. It wouldn't surprise me if he's not the only one on that team who feels that way about Ben.

But regardless, James Harrison is just an idiot.

K Train
07-13-2011, 11:10 AM
he is pretty uneducated, a real life dummy when it comes to everything except hurting people and overpowering people.

no complaints here

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 11:12 AM
he is pretty uneducated, a real life dummy when it comes to everything except hurting people and overpowering people.

no complaints here

He's actually a very smart football player. But outside of the gridiron, he's a complete moron.

K Train
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
thats what i mean...hes actually really dumb in real life, like seemingly no education at all, couldnt spell his name or read or anything for a while even when he was a pro.

i like everyone wish dumbass athletes would just shut up...actually no, its entertaining deep down i love it.

LonghornsLegend
07-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Prior to the season starting, it sounded like the Pittsburgh lockerroom really didn't like Ben at all. It wouldn't surprise me if he's not the only one on that team who feels that way about Ben.

But regardless, James Harrison is just an idiot.

Doesn't like him, or doesn't like his play? He didn't really question him as a person. He was acting like he was their Kerry Collins to their defense. I would in fact be surprised if more people felt that way about his play. He's already won 2 SB's at his age and performed a bunch in the clutch, nobody is going to be perfect but I don't see how calling him out in the media helps anything.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Doesn't like him, or doesn't like his play? He didn't really question him as a person. He was acting like he was their Kerry Collins to their defense. I would in fact be surprised if more people felt that way about his play. He's already won 2 SB's at his age and performed a bunch in the clutch, nobody is going to be perfect but I don't see how calling him out in the media helps anything.

James Harrison is an idiot.

*shrug*

phlysac
07-13-2011, 11:28 AM
As Skip Bayless (for once) accurately pointed out...

Harrison called Mendenhall a "fumbling machine" - He had 3 fumbles in 20 games in 2010-11.

And Harrison said "at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off..." about Roethlisberger. - One INT was returned for a TD (No D to "bail you out") and the other was thrown on the other side of the 50 (which is "their side of the field.") And why would he "hand the ball off" if Mendenhall is a "fumbling machine?"

As a Non-Steeler fan deep in the heart of "Stiller Country", this is classic entertainment.

Xiomera
07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
James Harrison is the biggest clown. Just shut the **** up, dude. Play football and keep your ignorant mouth shut.

Hines
07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Not to mention, that one INT, Ben's hand was hit.

K Train
07-13-2011, 11:31 AM
im just glad hes a beast, cause hes tough to defend otherwise.

PoopSandwich
07-13-2011, 11:55 AM
James Harrison is an idiot.

Xiomera
07-13-2011, 12:24 PM
As if his words weren't enough, check the photo with the article, courtesy of Adam Schefter:

http://lockerz.com/s/119805578

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
No one has a problem with him saying he wouldn't piss on Goodell if he was on fire? Seriously? You don't have to like the way he does things but the dude has a family that's going to hear that.

Idgaf how wrong he is about Ben, or how not entirely wrong he is about Rashard.

Philliez01
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
This is definitely going to be worth the "silent music" thing they do on SportsCenter to highlight very serious matters.

Xiomera
07-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Harrison's criticism of Goodell now seems even more out of line. The Commish isn't one of the two parties in the lockout that need to reach an agreement.

Raiderz4Life
07-13-2011, 01:38 PM
No one has a problem with him saying he wouldn't piss on Goodell if he was on fire? Seriously? You don't have to like the way he does things but the dude has a family that's going to hear that.

I didn't. I thought it was quite hilarious....hell I agree with him. He should have chosen diff words but c'mon, its James Harrison, politically correct is out of his reach haha

niel89
07-13-2011, 01:39 PM
What a joke he is. I hope that Goodell comes down hard on him for thrashing so many players and running his mouth. I can't wait until he tries to back track and say that this is all out of context.

edit: And so it begins:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/the-james-harrison-backtracking-begins/

PoopSandwich
07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
What a joke he is. I hope that Goodell comes down hard on him for thrashing so many players and running his mouth. I can't wait until he tries to back track and say that this is all out of context.

edit: And so it begins:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/the-james-harrison-backtracking-begins/

I would like to believe that his brain was hacked by aliens because it's depressing that a human being can be so utterly stupid.

Vikes99ej
07-13-2011, 02:07 PM
This is why I have no respect for professional athletes as people, especially in the NFL and NBA. Egos are completely out of control. You wouldn't see this **** in the NHL.

PoopSandwich
07-13-2011, 02:37 PM
This is why I have no respect for professional athletes as people, especially in the NFL and NBA. Egos are completely out of control. You wouldn't see this **** in the NHL.

Because either they are russian or all of their teeth are knocked out and you can't understand what they're saying.

But yeah, NFL/NBA egos are out of control.

PackerLegend
07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I for one like what came out of his mouth. I find it funny and some has truth to it.

Vikes99ej
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I for one like what came out of his mouth. I find it funny and some has truth to it.

You don't say those things about your QB in a nationally-publicized magazine.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Because either they are russian or all of their teeth are knocked out and you can't understand what they're saying.

But yeah, NFL/NBA egos are out of control.

I want to think you are joking, but I honestly can't tell if you are....

James Harrison is a complete dumbass, and the real intriguing part will be the fallout. I'm interested to see if the NFL or Steelers take any action (if they can). If they cut him i'd be interested to see how James and Rex would mesh, haha.

Splat
07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
You wouldn't see this **** in the NHL.

That is because nobody cares enough about the NHL to interview it's players.

Jvig43
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM

I personally feel the same way. Maybe his family will convince him to move on to something else and leave the sport of football alone.

prock
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
James Harrison is a punk ass *****. He is bad for the game. This dude needs to go crawl into a jail cell.

Can you tell I don't like this guy?

Revis Island
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
I personally find it funny. At least the guy isn't afraid to speak his mind. **** being politically correct.

Ness
07-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Harrison wouldn't have a ring if it wasn't for Ben Roethlisberger.

Dam8610
07-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Harrison wouldn't have a ring if it wasn't for Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger wouldn't have two if it weren't for Harrison. No way the Steelers win that game without that 10-14 point swing in their favor right before the half thanks to the play by Harrison.

phlysac
07-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Maybe his family will convince him to move on to something else and leave the sport of football alone.

Harrison is, perhaps, a ticking time-bomb. It is understandable to question what Harrison's lifestyle/behaviors will be if and when he doesn't have the outlet of football to release his perceived rage. Much like Dennis Rodman, he is an enigma, whom might have difficulty with life outside of their athletic profession. The difference between Harrison and Rodman, is that Rodman always had a flair for the dramatic or that he was "acting" enigmatic. Harrison, for better (on the field) and for worse (off the field) is dead serious.

Hines
07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm almost surprised he hasn't been arrested for killing someone yet. *knock on wood* That ************ is crazy.

Ness
07-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Roethlisberger wouldn't have two if it weren't for Harrison. No way the Steelers win that game without that 10-14 point swing in their favor right before the half thanks to the play by Harrison.

But the key difference is that Ben isn't blasting an important teammate of his in the media.

Are the Steelers even in the playoffs without Ben? It's a quarterbacking league.

TitanHope
07-13-2011, 07:12 PM
James Harrison is a functional ******. It's why he's so strong. They have the strength of like 6 men.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Remember when he was mad at Obama bc Obama wouldn't invite the team if they lost the SB?

Priceless. Classic Harrison right there.

I'm on board with the group that thinks he's going to be in the news after he retires from football.

bigbluedefense
07-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I also thought it was hilarious how Mendenhall wouldn't comment on Harrison's comments bc "he knows Harrison"

aka, he knows Harrison will eat his lunch if he said something back and he don't want it.

cmarq83
07-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Here is a Harrison gem, and another example why he should be removed from the gene pool.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-may-19-2009/republicans-look-forward---james-harrison

skip to 1:25 for the Harrison part

ElectricEye
07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
James Harrison is a functional ******. It's why he's so strong. They have the strength of like 6 men.

Clever. I got the reference, I think.

Yeah, we can officially confirm Harrison is an idiot. There's just no reason for any of this. The Goodell stuff I UNDERSTAND, but don't support. I wouldn't have anything kind to say about someone who took 100k out of my pocket either. It's still really stupid to say publicly and completely unconstructive to even approach the sentiment from that direction, but I can understand where he's coming from.

Ripping multiple members of his own team is just asking for trouble though. No reason whatsoever to do that.

But yeah, basically; we can confirm James Harrison as a great football player who shouldn't ever open his mouth.

phlysac
07-13-2011, 08:24 PM
It wasn't just Obama, either. He skipped out on GWBush's invite after the victory over the Seahawks as well.

TitansCJftw
07-13-2011, 08:42 PM
From http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6764826/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-blasts-roger-goodell-magazine-interview

"While Harrison criticized some of his teammates, he had high praise for Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

"He's the one guy in football I respect absolutely, 'cause he's spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin'. He's so polite and talks so softly that he could tell Goodell to kiss his a--, and Goodell would smile and say thank you," he told the magazine."

Im sorry but that is funny as hell to me hahahah

Raiderz4Life
07-13-2011, 08:45 PM
From http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6764826/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-blasts-roger-goodell-magazine-interview

"While Harrison criticized some of his teammates, he had high praise for Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

"He's the one guy in football I respect absolutely, 'cause he's spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin'. He's so polite and talks so softly that he could tell Goodell to kiss his a--, and Goodell would smile and say thank you," he told the magazine."

Im sorry but that is funny as hell to me hahahah
lmao yes it was

PoopSandwich
07-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I want to think you are joking, but I honestly can't tell if you are....

James Harrison is a complete dumbass, and the real intriguing part will be the fallout. I'm interested to see if the NFL or Steelers take any action (if they can). If they cut him i'd be interested to see how James and Rex would mesh, haha.

I was kidding, I definitely think James needs a new place to go, the Steelers are gonna get tired of his **** pretty soon if he keeps going public with everything.

hockey619
07-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Why are you people getting upset about this? Its freaking hilarious. Not because of what he said: its the fact that he thinks hes making good points and that its fine to talk about people like that.

Listening to the logical process of idiots can drive you mad if you try to reason with them, but if you just observe it for what it is it's hilarious. We have a guy who has the iq of a house cat giving us his opinion. take it for what its worth.

Calling cushing a roider? yeah because you dont have any of the tell tale signs of roids right harrison? like rage...

wogitalia
07-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I love it! Pretty much on point with Goodell!

I just love there being an athlete in this day and age that is willing to be who they are without worrying about who they might potentially offend, it's brilliant!

He may be a total idiot but at least he is honest and willing to be human rather than trying to be a robot like 99% of athletes are nowadays!

Ness
07-13-2011, 10:03 PM
LOL this clown is worse than Terrell Owens.

PoopSandwich
07-13-2011, 10:09 PM

I just love there being an athlete in this day and age that is willing to be who they are without worrying about who they might potentially offend, it's brilliant!

He may be a total idiot but at least he is honest and willing to be human rather than trying to be a robot like 99% of athletes are nowadays!

There's a difference between being honest and just being dumb.

Then there is James Harrison.

FlyingElvis
07-13-2011, 10:09 PM
We have a guy who has the iq of a house cat giving us his opinion.

My house cats are all offended.

I never thought there would be a guy I wanted to hear less than that asshat mercury morris . . .

Revis Island
07-13-2011, 10:15 PM
At the end of the day, people are talking about this. It is entertainment at a time where there is nothing else going on with football. Speak on James Harrison!

Nalej
07-13-2011, 10:36 PM
My house cats are all offended.

I never thought there would be a guy I wanted to hear less than that asshat mercury morris . . .

How many house cats do you have? One is too many.

CJSchneider
07-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Wouldn't piss on his guts if he were on fire - that's just awesome.

yo123
07-13-2011, 11:41 PM
I just enjoy that he called Goodell a puppet and a dictator in the same sentence.

phlysac
07-14-2011, 12:17 AM
I just enjoy that he called Goodell a puppet and a dictator in the same sentence.

Harrison didn't realize just how paradoxical he is.

GENIUS!!!!

LonghornsLegend
07-14-2011, 12:32 AM

hahahahahaahah.

wogitalia
07-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Is the Puppet dictator, piss on him on fire or Polamalu quote the best part though, that is the question?

prock
07-14-2011, 03:26 AM

I have a problem with the word brilliant being in any sentence talking about Harrison. And it isn't worried because he is too ******* dumb to think that far ahead.

descendency
07-14-2011, 05:36 AM
I had a ton of respect for Harrison until I realized he is a douchebag idiot.

I wish there was a way to explain to him that there is a sizeable difference between who he is and what a good football player is. I'd agree with his assessment that it is tough to play in the NFL and whatnot, but other players at his position don't play this "kill the other player" kind of crap. They make good (mostly form) tackles and what not.

Yes, Goodell is probably wrong about a lot of what he does, but James Harrison is the last person who should be throwing stones.

TitleTown088
07-14-2011, 05:01 PM
"Clay Matthews all hype".. Ha. You mad, James.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-14-2011, 05:12 PM
That is because nobody cares enough about the NHL to interview it's players.

Very clever...

This stuff is pure gold. He's a complete idiot obviously, but it is halarious stuff that we can only dream of having to talk about. He actually would refuse to 'urinate' on the commissioner of the league he plays in. That is pure gold. So is calling out Brian Cushing...

jayceheathman
07-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Hopefully Vonta Leach takes the bashing of Cushing personally and decides to destroy Harrison on October 2nd.

Ness
07-15-2011, 05:26 AM
Hopefully Vonta Leach takes the bashing of Cushing personally and decides to destroy Harrison on October 2nd.

I wouldn't mind seeing Leach blowing Harrison up.

descendency
07-15-2011, 06:30 AM
Just curious and kind of off-topic, but let's say hypothetically...

You are a team-mate of Brian Cushing. You know he takes steroids (you've personally seen it). Are you going to do something to James Harrison for saying what he did?

TheBoyWonder22
07-15-2011, 09:41 AM

You are a team-mate of Brian Cushing. You know he takes steroids (you've personally seen it). Are you going to do something to James Harrison for saying what he did?
I get what you're saying. It all depends on their relationship. Wait, did Leach actually see him or are you just saying?

SickwithIt1010
07-15-2011, 09:48 AM
I didnt like him bashing on his teammates...however, I loved what he had to say about Goodell and what he said about Bruschi and Harrison, hes right and someone needed to say somethin....

....Was it out of line? Yes it was, but it still needed to be said.

Saints-Tigers
07-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Lmao, best thing ever. <3 James Harrison.

Ness
07-15-2011, 03:32 PM

Well that's your teammate. I mean Harrison is going out of his way to just bash someone. So what if he had been taking steroids. Doesn't give Harrison the right to hang Cushing out to dry. For all we know Harrison may have done some things we don't know about.

You don't see anyone other player coming out and saying in a magazine interview what Harrison did to what Cardinals player during the Super Bowl was dirty...or that owning a dog that ripped up his son was a stupid decision on Harrison.

J-Mike88
07-15-2011, 05:37 PM
i usually hate when steelers talk and cause media uproars, but id rather listen to harrison rant than see mendehall hold a press conference to tell us why 911 didnt happen

Yeah, nice last 5 months or so for the Steelers since losing the Super Bowl.
Mendenhall a moron.
Hines Ward (gets caught, then denies) drinks & drives.
Now Harrison goes racial, and actually gets called out by many for the racial tone, from Stephen A Smith on ESPN, to Nate Newton locally here on ESPN Radio.
At least Ben didn't (get caught) raping someone yet this summer or smash his cycle into a car, without a helmet on.

Pretty much, I agree. There are a few whom I respect (Dirk, many Packers, Jennings, Driver, Rodgers, Collins, etc.), there are a lot of guys who would be homeless, jailed, or dead if not for the money they got paid to play a game.
That money, ultimately, comes mostly from we the fans pockets, one way or another.

The feds don't print the money for the owners to give them. We pay with licensing fees on hats, shirts, jerseys, tickets, parking sometimes, overpriced concessions, and the NFL Sunday Ticket ripoff.

And for those who think it's trendy to rip on Goodell. Tell me what you would do if you were commish to try and slow down the rising rates of concussions, and helmet to helmet hits?

SolidGold
07-15-2011, 05:45 PM
PFT had a good little article about Eisen and Dan Patrick pointing out how the fines are decided and handed down by the NFL and that pretty much at each level the person is black.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/eisen-dissects-james-harrisons-race-based-reasoning/

ellsy82
07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
PFT had a good little article about Eisen and Dan Patrick pointing out how the fines are decided and handed down by the NFL and that pretty much at each level the person is black.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/eisen-dissects-james-harrisons-race-based-reasoning/

They be trying to bring a brotha down is all.

J-Mike88
07-15-2011, 10:30 PM

Great work, good article.
It goes through 4 levels of people, all black, and then Goodell signs off yay or nay, and of course, he's racist.

I'm glad finally, someone is being called out for playing that old, tired race card.
Don Banks of CNNSI told me the same thing.... and the choice to have the ABM Harrison pose with guns. Wow, how original. Way to dispel that stereotype.

This guy is a clown, and I'd love to see the Rooney family suspends his racist ass for the season. Blackball his ass outta the league. He's already 32. He looked washed up against the Vanilla Gorilla Chad Clifton in the Super Bowl.

Ness
07-16-2011, 12:25 AM

Well you can't judge every book by it's cover. There are still a lot of players out that who aren't young idiots and are playing the game and have a legitimate passion for it.

Ness
07-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Harrison might be on his way out in the next couple of years unless he keeps having monster seasons. Already 33. There aren't too many OLB especially in a 3-4 that continue to dominate in their mid 30's. He'll be easily replaced like Gildon and Porter was.

Ravens1991
07-16-2011, 12:33 AM
But harrison doesnt have the wear and tear of a common 33 year old since he didnt start til 2007. But even though he isnt a common 33 year old I do agree he will be out soon especially with comments like these