PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Mock Free Agent Signings

MidwestJimmy
07-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Because the lockout has halted free agency so far, fans and media are in even more anticipation of free agent signings. Hopefully a new CBA will start soon, and roster moves will start soon after. Due to the shortened time window involved, the signings will happen fast and furious and will almost seem like a draft. With that in mind, I not only once again bring you my mock free agent signings, but also rank the players from 1 to 50 to resemble a draft (which, of course, has nothing to do with the order in which they happen).

NOTE: This list is only for players who I predict will sign with a new team. If I think a free agent is re-signing with his current team, he is not listed here.

1. Nnamdi Asomugha [CB, OAK]: 49ers
As another free agent cornerback, Nate Clements has been disappointing in SF – Asomugha won't be. And if Nnamdi goes to the 49ers, he won't have to move to another house.

2. Ronnie Brown [RB, MM]: Rams
After Steven Jackson, there's nothing at running back for St. Louis. There are a couple of guys on the roster, but I'm pretty sure they're just fans who won a raffle.

3. Keith Bulluck [OLB, NYG]: Bengals
If Dhani Jones leaves, Rey Maualuga will move inside and Bulluck would take Mali's spot on the outside.

4. Aubrayo Franklin [NT, SF]: Texans
New DC Wade Phillips may want a top-notched and experienced 1-technique nose tackle for his one-gap 3-4, and he's used to having a great one in Jay Ratliff.

5. DeAngelo Williams [RB, CAR]: Dolphins
Everybody expects the Broncos to be his destination (because of John Fox), but DeAn throws us a curveball.

6. Quintin Mikell [S, PHL]: Rams
St. Louis drafted a good DE in Robert Quinn, but the secondary needs work. I want somebody in the NFC West to be good, so I hope this signing happens.

7. Johnathan Joseph [CB, CNC]: Jaguars
Rashean Mathis is OK, but Jacksonville's other starting corner is David Jones. Joseph would be a considerable upgrade.

8. Robert Gallery [G, OAK]: Browns
Sure he busted as a left tackle, but few probably know he has become a really good guard. Gallery with RB Peyton Hillis will make for an even stronger running game.

9. Matt Hasselbeck [QB, SEA]: Vikings
It's tough enough for a rookie quarterback to begin with. A rookie QB learning the complicated West Coast Offense with a short offseason means big trouble. The only quarterback in my Top 50, Hasselbeck is a WCO master, and Christian Ponder will learn from him.

10. Cullen Jenkins [DT, GB]: Eagles
The dark green vow they will be aggressive in free agency, and Jenkins is one of the first big names they go after.

11. Ahmad Bradshaw [RB, NYG]: Steelers
Pittsburgh's trademark is big running backs and kicking people's asses with the running game.

12. Jammal Brown [OT, WSH]: Lions
Will the Lions finally realize they need offensive lineman? They won't go 16-0 like Ndomikongamonggong Sue said they will unless they do something about the O-line.

13. Barry Cofield [DT, NYG]: Broncos
The defensive tackle spot in Denver is as barren as a Kansas wheat field during the 1930s. (If history isn't your thing, google "dust bowl".)

14. Paul Posluszny [ILB, BUF]: Buccaneers
Posluszny needs to be in a 4-3 defense again. But can he play deep coverage often in the Tampa-2?

15. Willie Colon [OT, PTS]: Chargers
Colon is an injury danger to whoever signs him, but he's a very talented right tackle.

16. Carlos Rogers [CB, WSH]: Raiders
With Nnamdi gone, Rogers replacing him as a starter is a better option than DeMarcus Van Dyke or Chimdi Chekwa, who are both rookies.

17. Chris Hoke [NT, PTS]: Chiefs
He would have been a starter in Pittsburgh if it wasn't for Casey Hampton. Hoke was impressive as a starter when Hampton went on IR a couple of years ago.

18. Barrett Ruud [ILB, TB]: Titans
The Titans have always been solid on defense, and that will not change with Ruud in the middle.

19. Braylon Edwards [WR, NYJ]: Panthers
This is another case of a player trading wins for money. But Edwards won't see it that way – football players are trained to think they will win right away no matter where they are.

20. James Jones [WR, GB]: Bears
The Bears are looking for a wide receiver in free agency, and Jones is good enough to snag one of the three starting spots available in the Mike Martz offense.

21. Cadillac Williams [RB, TB]: Broncos
John Fox loves to run the ball, and the organization says they will sign a running back.

22. Doug Free [OT, DAL]: Bills
Buffalo needs an upgrade at left tackle, especially with the amount of passing they do.

23. Tyson Clabo [OT, ATL]: Seahawks
They need more plays like the game-breaking run against the Saints. Then maybe they make the playoffs with an actual winning record.

24. Darren Sproles [RB, SD]: Ravens
There is always at least one surprise signing during free agency.

25. Shaun Ellis [34E, NYJ]: 49ers
This is a stop gap for 2011 only. They may need to cut several players to afford both Asomugha and Ellis, especially with the claustrophobically tight salary cap that is about to go into effect.

26. Kevin Faulk [RB, NE]: Rams
New OC Josh McDaniels is expected to copy pretty much everything from the Patriots system. The former New England receiving back is a logical choice, especially since he would be reunited with McD.

27. Jason Babin [DE, TEN]: Packers
Babin has edge-rushing linebacker experience from his early career. Frank Zombo (the other starter in GB) is to Clay Matthews what the blond guy in CHiPS was to Eric Estrada.

28. Kevin Boss [TE, NYG]: Eagles
Andy Reid wants to start two tight ends this season, and the big bossman would make a good partner for Brent Celek.

29. Desmond Clark [TE, CHC]: Falcons
Whether it's the ace (2WR/2TE) or the tank (1WR/2TE/FB), the Falcons with Tony Gonzalez are masters of the two tight end set.

30. Justin Durant [OLB, JAC]: Dolphins
Durant has played inside and outside, and ILB in a 3-4 is sort of like playing both at once. He would fit nicely if he took his talents to South Beach and joined the Miami Dolphins. (Not one, not two, not three…)

31. Ray Edwards [DE, MNN]: Browns
Edwards is an overrated one game wonder (the playoff blowout over the Cowboys) but he would still be an upgrade over what the Browns have at defensive end.

32. Malcom Floyd [WR, SD]: Jets
Floyd quietly had a pretty good year in San Diego. He will be cheaper than re-signing Braylon Edwards.

33. Ernie Sims [OLB, PHL]: Giants
The Eagles have a logjam at linebacker, and Sims is expected to leave. His stay in Philly didn't last long.

34. Stephen Tulloch [ILB, TEN]: Redskins
Tulloch would be a slight upgrade over the probably departing Rocky McIntosh (who just missed this list). But Tulloch would have to adjust to a 3-4.

35. Jacques Cesaire [34E, SD]: Cardinals
First I read that Arizona 3-4 end Calais Campbell is good, then another guy says he sucks. (Those must be the same sources that are covering the lockout.) If the Cards aren't happy with Campbell, Cesaire could wind up in Phoenix.

36. Plaxico Burress [WR, NYG]: Cardinals
Here's the one you might have been waiting for. It's hard to make a comeback after so much time off, but I think Plax can do it. At least his sleazy agent Drew Rosenhaus will convince a team that Plax can do it.

37. Vonta Leach [FB, HST]: Seahawks
A former college quarterback playing fullback isn't going to work. The best run-blocking fullback in the league playing fullback will.

38. Kedric Golston [34E, WSH]: Colts
The unheralded but talented Golston goes back to DT, which has been a weak spot in Indianapolis for a long time.

39. Matt Roth [ELB, CLV]: Patriots
The Patriots say they don't need an edge linebacker. That loud beeping sound you hear is the needle on my BS detector going crazy.

40. Santana Moss [WR, WSH]: Texans
This is another stop gap until the 2012 draft. Hopefully that draft won't be the next event on the NFL calendar.

41. Tanard Jackson [S, TB]: Cowboys
The Bucs may be able to keep Jackson if they pay him in weed.

42. Shayne Graham [K, NE]: Cowboys
David Buhler may have to go back to just being the kickoff guy, unless he's cut completely.

43. Andre Carter [DE, WSH]: Titans
Carter came off the Redskins bench as a pass rusher in the 4-2 nickel subpackage, but in Nashville he would have a chance to replace Jason Babin as a starter.

44. Danieal Manning [S, CHC]: Vikings
The Vikes have had a great front seven for a while, but the secondary could use some improvement.

45. Brandon Mebane [DT, SEA]: Bears
Maybe you haven't heard of him, but Mebane has been getting good reviews lately.

46. Tyjuan Hagler [OLB, IND]: Saints
Hagler is a backup behind a good LB core in Indy, but is good enough to be a starter. In New Orleans, he would start.

47. Sean Locklear [OT, SEA]: Chiefs
He has been criticized lately, but Locklear is at least a starting caliber right tackle – Barry Richardson isn't.

48. Jeff Reed [K, PTS]: Redskins
Redskin fans – you're down by 2 points with 0:03 left and you're lining up for a 44-yard field goal. Do you really trust Graham Gano in that situation?

49. Chris Spencer [C, SEA]: Texans
If Houston lets go of FB Vonta Leach, a solid offensive line becomes even more crucial.

50. Michael Koenen [P, ATL]: Giants
Don't punt to DeSean Jackson five seconds before overtime!! Not only will Koenen not do that, he can also kickoff.

-------

So there you have it. Let my burning at the stake begin.

Giantsfan1080
07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't think the Giants will let Bradshaw and Boss walk. I also dont think we'd have any interest in Sims.

bucfan12
07-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Tanard Jackson is not a Free Agent. He's still suspended until late September and didn't play enough games last year to get to the end of his contract.

Don't think Bradshaw will go to Pittsburgh to split carries with Mendenhall.

I think Caddy is more of a better fit in St. Louis.

I predict Jonathon Joseph to sign with Detroit. They will HEAVILY court him.

Doug Free played very well for the Cowboys last year, so I highly doubt they let him go. It's difficult to find a quality LT in this league and Tyron Smith never even played LT at USC.

Brown Leader
07-18-2011, 02:57 PM
At least some of these guys will resign:

1. Nnamdi Asomugha [CB, OAK]:

He's invested in the community and I think he'll return for a fair price.

11. Ahmad Bradshaw [RB, NYG]: Steelers

Despite the fumbles he's a top tier talent who'd be hard to replace. Plus if they had to keep one, between Jacobs and him, I'm betting Bradshaw. (They can't let them both walk, can they?)

14. Paul Posluszny [ILB, BUF]: Buccaneers

Very little chance Buffalo lets him walk.

22. Doug Free [OT, DAL]: Bills

Same here. It's the most crucial position on the Cowboys.

These are spot on good fits:

5. DeAngelo Williams [RB, CAR]: Dolphins

Although S is reported as their top interest.

9. Matt Hasselbeck [QB, SEA]: Vikings

17. Chris Hoke [NT, PTS]: Chiefs

39. Matt Roth [ELB, CLV]: Patriots

These are terrible fits-the no ******* way category:

3. Keith Bulluck [OLB, NYG]: Bengals

Bullock is pretty much finished-and how is he ranked #3? Try Kevin Burnett here..but not ranked #3.

19. Braylon Edwards [WR, NYJ]: Panthers

Worst thing Car could do is pair BE with Cam. And it's a good bet Chudzinski wants nothing more to do with the enigmatic Edwards.

27. Jason Babin [DE, TEN]: Packers

The guy finally has a passable season so it's time for another position change?

And the Browns:

Sure he busted as a left tackle, but few probably know he has become a really good guard. Gallery with RB Peyton Hillis will make for an even stronger running game.

31. Ray Edwards [DE, MNN]: Browns
Edwards is an overrated one game wonder (the playoff blowout over the Cowboys) but he would still be an upgrade over what the Browns have at defensive end.

Believable. I'd have no problem with Gallery at G but I'd prefer Cullen Jenkins over Edwards...of course.

K Train
07-18-2011, 03:15 PM
bradshaw wouldnt really have a home here, mendenhall does it all and they love redman, not to mention moore is managing to stick around and they have dwyer.

Poz would be real nice for the steelers, farrior is so old and slow im ready to move on. My dream signings would be gaither and joseph though

also i expect colon to return...flozell is old and they drafted gilbert but im fairly sure they will try colon at RG finally or play musical RT with him and flozell since flo cant really play a full game most of the time. hes not really an injury risk either, sure he got hurt but hes recovered and was very durable his first few years

vidae
07-18-2011, 03:39 PM
I'd take Hoke.

ArkyRamsFan
07-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Midwest Jimmy:

While the Rams are certainly in need of a backup RB, the key word is Backup. I just don't see Brown being happy sitting behind Steven Jackson, and believe me he would sit a lot as Jax does NOT like to share his carries.

Love the Q. Mikell choice. Make it so No. 1 (20 points if you can name what that refers to!)

We do not need two backup RBs so Faulk is not much of a consideration at this point. But we definitely need an OG, and a DT and an OLB.

Gallery and Cofield would be excellent choices. Also, have you heard whether Davin Joseph or Justin Blalock are going to be available?

Don't know much about Tyjuan Hagler but the Rams have next to nothing at OLB so he's gotta be an upgrade.

Oh, and thanks for your hard work in this thread.

SickwithIt1010
07-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I fully expect the Eagles to walk away with one the top 3 corners. They arent going to go into this season with what they have opposite of Asante.

bucfan12
07-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Braylon Edwards to Carolina isn't a terrible move. He was like a completely different player once he left Cleveland.

I think the Jets will keep both Edwards and Holmes. They need to surrround Mark Sanchez with as much talent as they can, because he obviously isn't the type of QB that can carry the offense.

Deangello Williams to the Dolphins wouldn't be bad, but I think Denver is going to go all out for him. Plus, Miami just recently traded up in the draft for Daniel Thomas, so they might look for a cheaper option to split the carries.

I agree. Paul Posluszney is more than likely to be resigned by the Bills, although I think he's better as a 4-3 mlb. I think theres a solid chance the Giants go after him.

AntoinCD
07-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I think the Jets will keep both Edwards and Holmes. They need to surrround Mark Sanchez with as much talent as they can, because he obviously isn't the type of QB that can carry the offense.

They may struggle to do that. The cap is set at $120million and they are currently at around $101million with no rookies signed(obviously), Holmes, Edwards, Shaun Ellis, Antonio Cromartie, Brodney Pool, Brad Smith etc all unsigned. My guess is they try to keep Holmes, Ellis and possibly Cro if they can

Bearsfan123
07-18-2011, 04:59 PM
James Jones is a bad fit for the bears. He doesn't have legit #1 talent imo, and that is the only type of receiver the Bears need to go after. The Mebane signing wouldn't be bad, unfortunately I think he'll require too much money. I am actually surprised you don't have us attacking another Oline piece in FA.

fenikz
07-18-2011, 05:08 PM
36. Plaxico Burress [WR, NYG]: Cardinals Here's the one you might have been waiting for. It's hard to make a comeback after so much time off, but I think Plax can do it. At least his sleazy agent Drew Rosenhaus will convince a team that Plax can do it.

ya not happening, Bidwells are oldschool they will never sign a guy with character concerns

dj825
07-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Midwest Jimmy:

Love the Q. Mikell choice. Make it so No. 1 (20 points if you can name what that refers to!)

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Picard to Riker

bucfan12
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
They may struggle to do that. The cap is set at $120million and they are currently at around $101million with no rookies signed(obviously), Holmes, Edwards, Shaun Ellis, Antonio Cromartie, Brodney Pool, Brad Smith etc all unsigned. My guess is they try to keep Holmes, Ellis and possibly Cro if they can

Ahh I see. Guess the Jets are screwed next year then

Matthew Jones
07-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Here are some possibilities I thought of the other day for a handful of notable free agents:

QB Marc Bulger - Miami Dolphins

QB Matt Hasselbeck - Tennessee Titans

QB Alex Smith - San Francisco 49ers

RB Joseph Addai - Indianapolis Colts

RB Cedric Benson - Cincinnati Bengals

RB Ahmad Bradshaw - New York Giants

RB Ronnie Brown - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

RB Michael Bush - Oakland Raiders

RB Darren Sproles - St. Louis Rams

RB DeAngelo Williams - Denver Broncos

WR Plaxico Burress - Philadelphia Eagles

WR Braylon Edwards - Chicago Bears

WR Malcom Floyd - St. Louis Rams

WR Santonio Holmes - New York Jets

WR Lance Moore - New Orleans Saints

WR Randy Moss - New York Jets

WR Santana Moss - Washington Redskins

WR Terrell Owens - Baltimore Ravens

WR Sidney Rice - Minnesota Vikings

WR Steve Smith - New York Giants

TE Kevin Boss - New York Giants

TE Zach Miller - Oakland Raiders

OT Tyson Clabo - Chicago Bears

OT Willie Colon - Minnesota Vikings

OT Doug Free - Dallas Cowboys

OT Jared Gaither - Buffalo Bills

OT Matt Light - New England Patriots

OG Justin Blalock - Atlanta Falcons

OG Harvey Dahl - Chicago Bears

OG Robert Gallery - Seattle Seahawks

OG Marshall Yanda - Baltimore Ravens

C Olin Kreutz - Chicago Bears

DE Jason Babin - Philadelphia Eagles

DE Raheem Brock - Seattle Seahawks

DE Andre Carter - Tennessee Titans

DE Ray Edwards - Atlanta Falcons

DE Shaun Ellis - New York Jets

DE Jacob Ford - Tennessee Titans

DE Charles Johnson - Carolina Panthers

DE Mathias Kiwanuka - New York Giants

DT Stephen Bowen - Dallas Cowboys

DT Barry Cofield - St. Louis Rams

DT Aubrayo Franklin - Kansas City Chiefs

DT Cullen Jenkins - Washington Redskins

DT Kris Jenkins - Washington Redskins

DT Brandon Mebane - Chicago Bears

LB James Anderson - Carolina Panthers

LB Quincy Black - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

LB Kevin Burnett - San Diego Chargers

LB Justin Durant - Detroit Lions

LB Manny Lawson - Miami Dolphins

LB Rocky McIntosh - New Orleans Saints

LB Kirk Morrison - Jacksonville Jaguars

LB Paul Posluszny - New York Giants

LB Matt Roth - New England Patriots

LB Takeo Spikes - San Francisco 49ers

LB Stephen Tulloch - Detroit Lions

CB Nnamdi Asomugha - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

CB Chris Carr - Baltimore Ravens

CB Antonio Cromartie - Oakland Raiders

CB Johnathan Joseph - Houston Texans

CB Carlos Rogers - Pittsburgh Steelers

CB Ike Taylor - Philadelphia Eagles

CB Josh Wilson - Detroit Lions

FS Michael Huff - Dallas Cowboys

FS Eric Weddle - Jacksonville Jaguars

SS Dawan Landry - New York Jets

SS Danieal Manning - San Diego Chargers

SS Quintin Mikell - St. Louis Rams

SS Donte Whitner - Cleveland Browns

MidwestJimmy
07-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Tanard Jackson is not a Free Agent. He's still suspended until late September and didn't play enough games last year to get to the end of his contract.

I got the names from a list of free agents on nfl.com, and Jackson was on it. But maybe you are right and the list is wrong.

Goddell is too hard on marijuana offenses (and I'm pretty sure that's what Jackson was caught for). He's a good safety who can get interceptions and return yards off of them.

MidwestJimmy
07-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Good mock of your own, Raven. Kris Jenkins will be a hard sell to anybody because he's really banged up. He could come cheap. But that sounds like a classic Redskins/Snyder signing (and he would use up half the cap on him), so good placement RP.

M.O.T.H.
07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah, Free and Bowen arent going anywhere.

ellsy82
07-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Pittsburgh's only move is to sign a RB? Yeah...sounds about right. Would be nice to find an upgrade (or hell, at least competition) at the safety position. But, they'll likely just use practice squad guys like Cromartie-Smith. Bleh.

hawkeye123
07-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I'd be shocked if we got Asomugha....Trent Baalke already said we couldn't go after a big free agent. Ike Taylor or Joesph are more likely free agents we would try to land.

phlysac
07-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I'd be shocked if we got Asomugha....Trent Baalke already said we couldn't go after a big free agent. Ike Taylor or Joesph are more likely free agents we would try to land.

This is the common (in my opinion) misinterpretation of what he said. Do I think they'll sign Asomugah? Not really, but t's not because of what Baalke said.

He said, I'll look for the quote, that he is philosophically against signing big-name free agents, and that the goal is to build his team through the draft.

I never heard him say that they would never sign the best player in the NFL at said position, if the player wanted to sign with them.

Found it...

-Q: Is this team set up to go get a big-money free agent?

-BAALKE: We’re not going to be major players. From a philosophical standpoint, we’re not going to be major players in free agency.

Does that mean we will never go out and pursue a high-end free agent? No. But philosophically, we’re going to build this team through the draft. And when the right time arises and the right player’s available, that we feel sets us up for a different level of play, we’ll be in a position hopefully to make that move.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/07/14/49ers-gm-trent-baalke-on-a-calm-approach-to-free-agent-chaos-harbaugh-camp-alex-and-more/

Dam8610
07-18-2011, 06:25 PM
With Mebane available, I doubt the Colts go with Golston to fill their DT spot. If they can't get Mebane, I'd look for them to just go with resigns. Also, I for one would be highly disappointed if the Colts didn't upgrade at SS over Bullitt, regardless of whether or not they resign him.

bucfan12
07-18-2011, 07:07 PM

I got the names from a list of free agents on nfl.com, and Jackson was on it. But maybe you are right and the list is wrong.

Goddell is too hard on marijuana offenses (and I'm pretty sure that's what Jackson was caught for). He's a good safety who can get interceptions and return yards off of them.

Yea, he only played in two games, thus his contract still has another year left. He's a ballhawking safety who is very underrated. His character isn't a problem as many bucs on that defense tell everyone that he is a leader and his lockerroom presence was missed last year.

I think the Bucs will keep him, especially since he's been in great shape and working out with the team during the lockout. I just hope he put his marijuana smoking days behind him. It's a harsh penalty for such a harmless drug, that some states are considering legalizing medically.

fenikz
07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
cardinals with the 4th most cap room obviously wont be signing anyone right?

BlindSite
07-18-2011, 07:19 PM
cardinals with the 4th most cap room obviously wont be signing anyone right?

Panthers have 2nd most they'll be loading some secondary and Dline players without doubt.

Unbiased
07-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Rashean Mathis is OK, but Jacksonville's other starting corner is David Jones. Joseph would be a considerable upgrade.

Jones doesn't start. Joseph would take Mathis' spot across from Derek Cox. Mathis is going into his contract year and he already tried holding out last year for a long term contract. It's a weird year for the Jags to sign a CB anyway.

BlindSite
07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
People seem to overlook too that Braylon loves playing for Ryan and said he'd take a pay cut to stay there. Holmes seems like more the guy to end up in washington or new england or somewhere receiver needy with cash to spend.

BaLLiN
07-18-2011, 08:43 PM
so many of these have little to no reasoning. Id like to say most of those giants will be back.

Pat Sims 90
07-18-2011, 08:52 PM
The Bengals have quiet a Bit of money to spend if the at least 90% of cap comes into effect. I could see them going after one of the big RBs with Benson unlikely coming back now with recent arrest.

Ravens1991
07-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Dont the eagles have a ton of $ to spend? I think Aso will be a eagle.

M.O.T.H.
07-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah they do...he'll probably be an Eagle.

The Skins can do tons of damage in FA as well.

SickwithIt1010
07-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Doesnt the eagles have a ton of $ to spend? I think Aso will be a eagle.

You just made my ***** tingle.

phlysac
07-18-2011, 10:19 PM
The Skins can do tons of damage in FA as well.

Quadruple-Over-Pay Aubrayo Franklin

hawkeye123
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
This is the common (in my opinion) misinterpretation of what he said. Do I think they'll sign Asomugah? Not really, but t's not because of what Baalke said.

He said, I'll look for the quote, that he is philosophically against signing big-name free agents, and that the goal is to build his team through the draft.

I never heard him say that they would never sign the best player in the NFL at said position, if the player wanted to sign with them.

Found it...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/07/14/49ers-gm-trent-baalke-on-a-calm-approach-to-free-agent-chaos-harbaugh-camp-alex-and-more/

Thanks for clearing that misconception...

Perhaps there is still hope we'll cut Clements and sign Asomugah! :)

Dam8610
07-18-2011, 10:34 PM
How interested are the Eagles in retaining Mikell? Because I think he'd look pretty good starting opposite Antoine Bethea.

wordofi
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM

Al Davis fell in love of his sub 5.0 40 yard dash.

diabsoule
07-18-2011, 11:01 PM
James Anderson or Rocky McIntosh to the Saints. Despite drafting Martez Wilson and having Jonathan Vilma the Saints still lack a playmaking WLB and either Anderson or McIntosh would be a drastic improvement over Scott Shanle.

bucfan12
07-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Honestly, I think you'll see a LARGE portion of these Free Agents resign with their current teams. Free Agency is scheduled to start on July 28, basically 6 weeks before the start of the regular season. I think at least 70% of the free agents out there will re-sign with their team, whether its 1 year or 5. It's all about chemistry and 6 weeks to gel with a new club isn't going to be a positive going forward.

Matthew Jones
07-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Honestly, I think you'll see a LARGE portion of these Free Agents resign with their current teams. Free Agency is scheduled to start on July 28, basically 6 weeks before the start of the regular season. I think at least 70% of the free agents out there will re-sign with their team, whether its 1 year or 5. It's all about chemistry and 6 weeks to gel with a new club isn't going to be a positive going forward.

There's certainly some merit to this argument, and ultimately I think you're right about teams targeting players that are a known quantity, but there are still quite a few reasons why teams would sign a free agent even this late in the process. For one, there is probably going to be a salary cap floor, which means all teams will be paying at least $110 million or so to their team this year. Teams that are severely under the salary cap floor have an incentive to sign free agents - the Buccaneers are about $46 million under the cap floor right now. If they don't end up signing any other players, the remaining $46 million will be divided between the players currently on roster. So why not make a play for someone like Asomugha? They could pay him a substantial amount of money and still end up committing the same amount of money to their team, while adding quite a bit to their defense. What about teams who have already met the floor? Some teams are going to see this as an opportunity to sign a player they might not usually have been able to sign. Others may have GMs or head coaches on the hot seat who are going to be trying to salvage their jobs. Keep in mind that many coaches and executives bounce around from team to team, so some of these free agents may not be as unfamiliar as you think. I know when I made my list of potential destinations, I tried to work in relationships that may have developed over a player's tenure. Just some things to think about.

ellsy82
07-18-2011, 11:54 PM
I'd take Hoke.

Well you can't have him.

K Train
07-19-2011, 08:07 AM
a bum-status player i wouldnt mind bringing in would be jamaal anderson, i always thought hes be an ok rotational guy in a 34

MidwestJimmy
07-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Trent Baalke already said we couldn't go after a big free agent. Ike Taylor or Joesph are more likely free agents we would try to land.

Ike Taylor and Johnathan Joseph are pretty big names too, aren't they?

Also, I for one would be highly disappointed if the Colts didn't upgrade at SS over Bullitt, regardless of whether or not they resign him.

I've read a few times that Melvin Bullitt is really good. But in the few times I've seen the Colts play, he didn't do much, so maybe you're right.

StripedWalrus
07-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Trent Baalke already said we couldn't go after a big free agent. Ike Taylor or Joesph are more likely free agents we would try to land.

Ike Taylor and Johnathan Joseph are pretty big names too, aren't they?

Also, I for one would be highly disappointed if the Colts didn't upgrade at SS over Bullitt, regardless of whether or not they resign him.

I've read a few times that Melvin Bullitt is really good. But in the few times I've seen the Colts play, he didn't do much, so maybe you're right.

Ike and JJ are indeed some pretty big names.

I really think you'll see JJ resign with the Bengals.

Sloopy
07-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Ike and JJ are indeed some pretty big names.

I really think you'll see JJ resign with the Bengals.

The Bengals are currently under the proposed cap floor. My prediction is JJ stays there as they have to spend the money anyway, why not keep him?

Sloopy
07-19-2011, 12:30 PM

As Raven stated many teams will have to spend the money anyway due to the proposed salary floor so why not improve their team? Also, some teams with big name prospects wont have the option to resign them as they are significantly over the cap if they do so. For example the Raiders being $10 million over the cap probably do not have the option to resign Namdi

ChiFan24
07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
James Jones is a bad fit for the bears. He doesn't have legit #1 talent imo, and that is the only type of receiver the Bears need to go after. The Mebane signing wouldn't be bad, unfortunately I think he'll require too much money. I am actually surprised you don't have us attacking another Oline piece in FA.

We need a receiver that can run the Martz route tree and hopefully knock Hester out of the WR rotation.....I'd rather have Santonio Holmes, but Jones isn't a bad fit. Just because he's not a #1 receiver doesn't mean he's not an upgrade.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
07-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Bears also only have 2 linebackers on the roster at the moment. So we need one of those, too.

ChiFan24
07-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I'd be fine bringing Pisa back. And we also have that J.T. Thomas guy.

AntoinCD
07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Eagles safety Quintin Mikell is expected to leave the Eagles this offseason. Perhaps one reason why is that the Eagles want to adjust their defensive approach in 2011 under new defensive coordinator Juan Castillo.

“I know Coach Reid has wanted to run the Cover 2 for a long time,” Mikell told Geoff Mosher of the News Journal. “It seems like the past couple of years we’ve been slowly progressing toward that. It might be moving toward that.

“I think he [Castillo] is going to kind of tweak things here and there. It’s gong to be kind of the same 4-3 but I think it’s going to be a little less based on scheme and more based on guys just kicking somebody’s butt.”

Castillo spoke with admiration about the Bears defense and simplifying things this offseason. The insane variations of blitz schemes from Eagles defense past may be dialed back. While we don’t expect a complete defensive scheme overhaul, the Eagles clearly are changing things quite a bit with defensive line coach Jim Washburn also in the mix.

The offense gets all the attention, but Andy Reid’s bold gambit to hire Castillo and re-form the defensive staff will matter more towards the success of the 2011 Eagles.

Per PFT http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/19/eagles-could-run-more-cover-2-this-season/

If this is the case and they do change the defensive scheme towards a Cover 2, it wouldn't make sense to go after Asomghua who isn't a great fit. Im a little surprised because I would have had the Eagles as one of the favourites for Aso

Dam8610
07-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Per PFT http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/19/eagles-could-run-more-cover-2-this-season/

If this is the case and they do change the defensive scheme towards a Cover 2, it wouldn't make sense to go after Asomghua who isn't a great fit. Im a little surprised because I would have had the Eagles as one of the favourites for Aso

More importantly, Mikell is expected to leave the Eagles, which is great, because, as I said before, he would look excellent starting alongside Antoine Bethea, and the Colts have moved away from most of their Cover 2 principles, when they have a healthy defense at least.

J-Mike88
07-20-2011, 09:25 PM
10. Cullen Jenkins [DT, GB]: Eagles
The dark green vow they will be aggressive in free agency, and Jenkins is one of the first big names they go after.

20. James Jones [WR, GB]: Bears
The Bears are looking for a wide receiver in free agency, and Jones is good enough to snag one of the three starting spots available in the Mike Martz offense.
Well done, nice work.
But I don't want to see these 2 solid guys from my team going to playoff opponents from our run this year.
If they leave, please, at least Cullen, go to the AFC.
The Jets just lost Kris Jenkins. How about taking Cullen now, IF he has to leave Titletown, dammit.

Nalej
07-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Cullen is a 5 tech though, no? Jenkins was a NT.
He could take over for Ellis (old) or... who's the other 5 tech?
I know they tried Gholston at it but he... failed? I know, surprise.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-21-2011, 09:46 AM
How come VY does not get brought up in the QB discussion? He is a winner( say what you want about it) is at a 1:1 TD:INT ratio. If i'm Arizona I sign VY tas soon as the lockout ends. Why waste the draftpicks? On potential alone it is not even close.

K Train
07-21-2011, 10:04 AM
vince young may have been a headcase, but he did win games and he was rookie of the year for a reason once upon a time...i think he'll find a home somewhere, maybe as a backup at first but its only a matter of time before hes starting somewhere i think

jayceheathman
07-21-2011, 05:10 PM
I will have an epic facepalm towards the Texans if we dont put one heck of an effort into re-signing Vonta Leach.

BaLLiN
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I will have an epic facepalm towards the Texans if we dont put one heck of an effort into re-signing Vonta Leach.

I remember they outbid the giants for his RFA contract, and from what ive seen theyll keep to that by signing him again. He's one of the few FB i actually notice in the NFL nowadays

J-Mike88
07-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Any chance Sidney Rice escapes that hellhole Metrodump in Minny?
That team has made a habit of taking our guys when we can't afford them.

I'd be happy to let James Jones go and steal away Sidney.

Jennings
Rice
Jordyzzzz
Donald

That's a nice 1-4 this year, then Cobb moves into Donald's spot a year from now.

AntoinCD
07-21-2011, 09:43 PM
I think right now if I were a betting man that Asomugha ends up in Tampa Bay. This is a team who needs to spend close to $50m to get to the cap floor and also have big question marks at CB. I think their first priority will be resigning their own guys but assuming they still have lots to work with I could definitely see Nnamdi in Tampa

BaLLiN
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
per ESPN
"I love New York more than anything, and I'd love to be here."

"Hopefully I'm a Giant next year, but if the Dolphins are interested, I gotta look at my options."

"If they (the Dolphins) are interested in Ahmad, we're very interested in the Dolphins."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6782064/ahmad-bradshaw-hopes-new-york-giant-year

On ESPN TV they said Bradshaw said he was 75% on coming back to the Giants

JBCX
07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Any chance Sidney Rice escapes that hellhole Metrodump in Minny?
That team has made a habit of taking our guys when we can't afford them.

I'd be happy to let James Jones go and steal away Sidney.

Jennings
Rice
Jordyzzzz
Donald

That's a nice 1-4 this year, then Cobb moves into Donald's spot a year from now.

The Packers don't have money to spend on elite free agents, typically.

T-RICH49
07-23-2011, 04:39 PM
the one FA name I've consistently heard as an option for KC is Franklin.need a NT and we got the room to spend the $$$$

RaiderNation
07-23-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm still not giving up on hope that the Raiders do resign Nnamdi. It will be even harder now though since we now haveto resign guys like Zach Miller and Michael Bush since they won't be RFA's under the new CBA.

The 4 teams I think have the best chance at landing Nnamdi are: Texans, Eagles, Raiders and Bucs.

Leon Sandcastle
07-23-2011, 05:15 PM
LOL at Paul Posluszny not getting re-signed by the Bills. He's more fitted to be an ILB in a 3-4 than a Cover 2 MLB.

Demetrius Bell is a pretty good LT for the Bills. The Front Office is targeting a RT most likely Clabo or Gaither.

Also I'd be surprised if Doug Free signs anywhere but Dallas. He was their best OL all year. No way Jerry Jones lets him walk.

SaintsMan
07-24-2011, 12:58 AM
I think Roman Harper would be sick on a team like the Jets. I hope we re-sign him, Lance Moore, David Thomas, maybe Bushrod and Heath Evans. I'd like to sign FB, Vickers but I'm fine with Evans to.

gpngc
07-24-2011, 01:40 AM
I'm still not giving up on hope that the Raiders do resign Nnamdi. It will be even harder now though since we now haveto resign guys like Zach Miller and Michael Bush since they won't be RFA's under the new CBA.

The 4 teams I think have the best chance at landing Nnamdi are: Texans, Eagles, Raiders and Bucs.

He wants to play for the Jets but they would need some cap wizardry to sign him, re-sign Harris, and field a decent receiving corps. It could be possible though...

Two other rumors I've heard about him: 1) he wants to play on the east coast. 2) the Eagles are interested in Ike Taylor/DRC more than paying Aso a gigantic contract (that would tie up a ******** of cap space between he and Vick).

gpngc
07-24-2011, 01:44 AM
Seattle has a ton of cap space. I expect them to make three or four of the following moves.

1) Sign a big-name CB like Nnamdi, Joseph, Cromartie, or Rogers.

2) Sign Robert Gallery or Logan Mankins.

3) Sign at least one WR (James Jones, Sidney Rice, Steve Smith, Moss, TO, Plax).

4) Re-sign Brandon Mebane (who is probably the most underrated FA in this class and will get a big deal) or make a run at Cullen Jenkins.

5) Sign Tarvaris Jackson.

6) Make a run at Vonta Leach.

T-RICH49
07-24-2011, 08:53 AM
top 5 things KC must do when FA starts

1.)sign Tamba Hali long tem

2.) go hard after Franklin on some NT in GA to mentor Powe

3.) re-sign Brandon Carr and Flowers

4.) sign a WR to go with Baldwin and Bowe

5.) try to find a RT cause Barry Richardson sure is'nt the anwser

Matthew Jones
07-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Since everyone is posting a to-do list, here are my top priorities for the Patriots:

1. Re-sign Logan Mankins to a long-term deal.

2. Re-sign Matt Light to a one or two-year deal.

3. Sign an affordable pass rusher such as Matt Roth or Mathias Kiwanuka.

4. Bolster offensive line depth with developmental players/undrafted free agents.

Nalej
07-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Since everyone is posting a to-do list, here are my top priorities for the Patriots:

1. Re-sign Logan Mankins to a long-term deal.

2. Re-sign Matt Light to a one or two-year deal.

3. Sign an affordable pass rusher such as Matt Roth or Mathias Kiwanuka.

4. Bolster offensive line depth with developmental players/undrafted free agents.

5. Sign UFA LB Mark Herzlich

Hines
07-24-2011, 11:18 AM
1. Resign Ike Taylor

2. Rescructure/release for more cap room.

3. Resign Willie Colon.

4. Sign a vet RB(Snelling, Brandon Jackson, Jerome Harrison)

5. Lock up Polamalu, Timmons, and Woodley long term(could be number 1 thing to do)

The Dynasty
07-24-2011, 11:21 AM
My Top Priorities for the Vikings:

1a. Re-Sign Sidney Rice

1b. Lock Up Adrian Peterson and Chad Greenway

2. Sign a Veteran QB (Bulger, Gradkowski or Hasselbeck)

3. Restructure or Cut Bernard Berrian's Contract

4. Get Two New Safeties because the Ones we have are either FA's/Rookies or they haven't produced.

5. Either Re-sign Ben Leber or Go for a Vet like Clint Sessions

DoughBoy
07-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Titans:

1) Sign Chris Johnson to an extention
2) Jason Jones and Michael Griffin extentions
3) sign a run stuffing DT (Marcus Spears?)
4) insurance policy for Kenny Britt (Malcom Floyd)
5) get a SS to atleast compete with Chris hope

RufusMcDaniel
07-24-2011, 12:31 PM
I'd like to add a QB as well Doughie on top of all that.

DoughBoy
07-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I'd like to add a QB as well Doughie on top of all that.

lol, my brain isn't working. RUSTYZZZZZZ FOR DA FUTUREZ!

RufusMcDaniel
07-24-2011, 02:02 PM
lol, my brain isn't working. RUSTYZZZZZZ FOR DA FUTUREZ!

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2ntw7b8.jpg

DoughBoy
07-24-2011, 02:08 PM
even his grandparents are disappoint. :(

TitanHope
07-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Dream scenario for the Titans...

Above all, sign Chris Johnson to a 5-year extension. It should end when he's 30 or 31, and that'll be the perfect time to cut ties for a RB. Hopefully though, he could still be an impact player and another extension could happen.

1) Sign Matt Hasselbeck to start at QB - Locker at #2 and Smith at #3.
2) Sign one of Marshal Yanda or Harvey Dahl to play LG. I'm fairly sure both are RG's, so they'd have to switch over. Dahl on the Titans OL seems like a match made in nasty demeanor Heaven. Cut Eugene Amano.
3) Sign Cortland Finnegan to an extension. He's a 2012 FA.
4) Sign Michael Griffin to an extension. He's a 2012 FA.
5) Re-sign Leroy Harris to a modest-for-position contract, and play him at OC. He's a 2011 FA.
6) Sign Jason Jones to an extension. He's a 2012 FA.
7) Sign Manny Lawson in FA instead of re-signing Tulloch. Start him at SLB, place Gerald McRath at ILB, and Will Witherspoon at WLB.
8) Sign Ike Taylor to play #2 CB, with ATV taking NB and McCourty backing up both oustide spots. Cut Ryan Mouton.
9) Sign Michael Bush to backup CJ, and add a power element to the running game. Ringer/Harper compete for RB #3, assuming they decide to use a roster spot on it.
10) Sign Lance Moore to play Slot WR for a developing Locker. Cut Justin Gage or Lavelle Hawkins.
11) Sign David Thomas to play all-around TE to Cook's receiving and Stevens's blocking. Replaces Scaife who leaves in FA.

12) Begin negotiations with Rob Bironas to a lucrative-for-position extension. He's a 2013 FA.
13) Begin negotiations with Tony Brown to a modest-for-position extension. He's a 2013 FA.

I know fans don't like Chris Hope, but I didn't address it because I'm in love with him.

Also! I think Robert Johnson is his heir. Johnson came out looking like a Darren Sharper-esque deep-center rover, but our scheme is more of a RS/LS as opposed to FS/SS, which is why Hope gets so much flack - he's in coverage a bit, which isn't his strong suit. Johnson has great coverage skills for a SS, and the size for it too at 6'2, 203 coming out (he's probably bigger now). Plus, he had the best 3-cone and short shuttle among safeties at the combine, so he has the athleticism to work in small areas. I hope to see him some this year, but in the meantime, I'll take Hope's leadership for a team that could use it.

I'd also like a run-stuffing DT, but I'm not quite sure which direction they're going with DT. We were a 1-gap attacking DL under the prior staff, so it'll depend on if we stay that way or if they go to a 2-gapper and bring in some beef. The new staff has said they're wanting bigger DE's than the previous staff wanted, but whether that follows to DT, I'm not sure. Plus, I feel greedy at this point, lol.

DoughBoy
07-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Dream scenario for the Titans...

Above all, sign Chris Johnson to a 5-year extension. It should end when he's 30 or 31, and that'll be the perfect time to cut ties for a RB. Hopefully though, he could still be an impact player and another extension could happen.

1) Sign Matt Hasselbeck to start at QB - Locker at #2 and Smith at #3.

Agreed, Donavan McNabb or Marc Bulger should be the back-up plan

2) Sign one of Marshal Yanda or Harvey Dahl to play LG. I'm fairly sure both are RG's, so they'd have to switch over. Dahl on the Titans OL seems like a
match made in nasty demeanor Heaven. Cut Eugene Amano.

Would love for this to happen, but it won't. it's been said that the Titans FO likes the line like it is (thought they shouldn't). Also I would love to see Eugene cut or demoted, but I never get my way :(

3) Sign Cortland Finnegan to an extension. He's a 2012 FA.

Yep, but I could see a scenario where the Titans like what they see in Jason McCourtey and ATV as the future starting tandem.

4) Sign Michael Griffin to an extension. He's a 2012 FA.

Agreed, needs to be a top priority after CJ's extention.

5) Re-sign Leroy Harris to a modest-for-position contract, and play him at OC. He's a 2011 FA.

I like Leroy enough to give him another shot as a starter. He is a real mauler inside, but needs to get alot better blocking on the second level.

6) Sign Jason Jones to an extension. He's a 2012 FA.

I think this needs to be on top of the list with CJ. Couldn't really ask for a better player on the inside when he is 100%.

7) Sign Manny Lawson in FA instead of re-signing Tulloch. Start him at SLB, place Gerald McRath at ILB, and Will Witherspoon at WLB.

Would love for this to happen, but again knowing Reinfeldt it won't. Also I think McRath is superior in coverage compared to Will so I would keep him on the outside until Akeem is ready to start and then kick him into MLB.

8) Sign Ike Taylor to play #2 CB, with ATV taking NB and McCourty backing up both oustide spots. Cut Ryan Mouton.

I think I would actually prefer to play ATV at the 1 or 2 over Finnegan in this scenario. He looked like our best and most consistent secondary player as a rookie IMO.

9) Sign Michael Bush to backup CJ, and add a power element to the running game. Ringer/Harper compete for RB #3, assuming they decide to use a roster spot on it.

Meh, I like Bush, but Ringer is good enough and I would like the cap space used elsewhere.

10) Sign Lance Moore to play Slot WR for a developing Locker. Cut Justin Gage or Lavelle Hawkins.

Love this idea. Might as well cut both Justin and Lavelle though.

11) Sign David Thomas to play all-around TE to Cook's receiving and Stevens's blocking. Replaces Scaife who leaves in FA.

Love it1
2) Begin negotiations with Rob Bironas to a lucrative-for-position extension. He's a 2013 FA.

yep

13) Begin negotiations with Tony Brown to a modest-for-position extension. He's a 2013 FA.

yep

I know fans don't like Chris Hope, but I didn't address it because I'm in love with him.

Fudge Chris Hope

Also! I think Robert Johnson is his heir. Johnson came out looking like a Darren Sharper-esque deep-center rover, but our scheme is more of a RS/LS as opposed to FS/SS, which is why Hope gets so much flack - he's in coverage a bit, which isn't his strong suit. Johnson has great coverage skills for a SS, and the size for it too at 6'2, 203 coming out (he's probably bigger now). Plus, he had the best 3-cone and short shuttle among safeties at the combine, so he has the athleticism to work in small areas. I hope to see him some this year, but in the meantime, I'll take Hope's leadership for a team that could use it.

I'd also like a run-stuffing DT, but I'm not quite sure which direction they're going with DT. We were a 1-gap attacking DL under the prior staff, so it'll depend on if we stay that way or if they go to a 2-gapper and bring in some beef. The new staff has said they're wanting bigger DE's than the previous staff wanted, but whether that follows to DT, I'm not sure. Plus, I feel greedy at this point, lol.

opinions in bold.

TitanHope
07-24-2011, 03:06 PM
DON'T YOU FUDGE CHRISTOPHER HOPE!q

Matthew Jones
07-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I think it's a little bit ridiculous that people actually consider Matt Hasselbeck to be a more attractive QB option than Donovan McNabb. McNabb has been the much better QB over the past few years, and even outproduced Hasselbeck last year despite playing in a much tougher division on a team with a lackluster supporting cast. Yes, Hasselbeck put together a couple of strong playoff starts, but he hasn't played at a high level for an entire season since 2007 and seemingly gets injured every year. At this time last year, McNabb was considered a top-10 QB. If I'm a GM, I'm taking McNabb over Hasselbeck every time.

ellsy82
07-24-2011, 08:04 PM
1. Resign Ike Taylor

2. Rescructure/release for more cap room.

3. Resign Willie Colon.

4. Sign a vet RB(Snelling, Brandon Jackson, Jerome Harrison)

5. Lock up Polamalu, Timmons, and Woodley long term(could be number 1 thing to do)

By all means, extend Polamalu, Woodley, and Timmons. That's essential to keep the franchise competitive.

This could be the year of mass exodus for the Steelers. They'll offer a fair deal to Ike, but he's gotta look out for himself and the Steelers have a tendency to let aging veterans sign elsewhere after their second contract. I've certainly prepared myself to let Ike go. We'll need to go out and get a guy like Rogers or Marshall or Wilson if that's teh case.

Bringing us to Hoke. He's also on the wrong side of thirty but I think he'll come back and sign with us. We could use veteran leadership on an defensive line that isn't as old as it seems. I'm not gonna be heartbroken if the FO lets him walk though.

What I would love for us to do is sign Marshall or Rogers and let Ike walk. Then sign Lito Sheppard for veteran support and let Big Play Bill Gaye walk.

Then, go out and sign a Atari Bigby or Roman Harper to a 3-4 year contract. Then sign someone like Langston Walker and dump Flozell Adams and Colon both. Wasn't a big fan of Colon to begin with and who knows if he'll come back 100% from an achiles tear.

Its just with Pittsburgh, none of that is likely to happen.

DoughBoy
07-25-2011, 04:16 PM
I think it's a little bit ridiculous that people actually consider Matt Hasselbeck to be a more attractive QB option than Donovan McNabb. McNabb has been the much better QB over the past few years, and even outproduced Hasselbeck last year despite playing in a much tougher division on a team with a lackluster supporting cast. Yes, Hasselbeck put together a couple of strong playoff starts, but he hasn't played at a high level for an entire season since 2007 and seemingly gets injured every year. At this time last year, McNabb was considered a top-10 QB. If I'm a GM, I'm taking McNabb over Hasselbeck every time.

Meh, I don't think there is that big of a discrepancy between McNabb or Hasselbeck at this stage in their careers. I may be inclined to agree with you that McNabb could be better than Matt, but the Titans are not going to give up a mid round draft pick for a guy that will only be a starter until they determine Jake Locker is ready. It really doesn't make sense to trade for McNabb unless they miss out on Matt.

prock
07-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Vikings

1. Resign Sidney Rice

2. Sign/trade for a veteran (Orton or McNabb)

3. Resign Longwell

4. Do everything possible to ensure Greenway doesn't leave next year.

5. Try to resign Leber

6. Cut Berrian

Ness
07-25-2011, 05:27 PM
At this point in time, I'd probably agree. He's only two years removed from a pretty decent season. And his first and only year in Washington was bound to have struggles. Especially on a worse team. But as we know the NFL is the "what have you done for me lately" league. Hasselbeck did help the Seahawks get to the playoffs and won them a game against the Saints. That improved his stock. He might do decent on a better team. Not saying Tennessee is that team, but a change of scenery might do him well. I'm expecting no though.

AntoinCD
07-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Ideal scenario for the Patriots:

1. Resign Logan Mankins

2. Offer Matt Light a fair deal for what will be probably at most one year of starting with the team. Do not over pay.

3. Cut Tully Banta-Cain

4. Cut Nick Kazcur

5. Sign Chad Ochocinco

6. Sign either Matt Roth or Matthias Kiwanuka

7. Watch the Jets lose all their top FAs to try and sign Asomugha only to see him sign elsewhere

Nalej
07-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Ideal scenario for the Patriots:

1. Resign Logan Mankins

2. Sign either Matt Roth or Matthias Kiwanuka

3. Offer Matt Light a fair deal for what will be probably at most one year of starting with the team. Do not over pay.

4. Cut Tully Banta-Cain

5. Cut Nick Kazcur

6. Sign Chad Ochocinco

7. Watch the Jets lose all their top FAs to try and sign Asomugha only to see him sign elsewhere

Edited yours to make my list

Matthew Jones
07-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Meh, I don't think there is that big of a discrepancy between McNabb or Hasselbeck at this stage in their careers. I may be inclined to agree with you that McNabb could be better than Matt, but the Titans are not going to give up a mid round draft pick for a guy that will only be a starter until they determine Jake Locker is ready. It really doesn't make sense to trade for McNabb unless they miss out on Matt.

I agree, although I'm expecting McNabb to be cut at some point - his contract is too rich for anyone to take on. Then again, Shanahan and co. could sit on him for a while to prevent him from signing with another team in time for camp.

Bucs_Rule
07-26-2011, 12:56 AM
I agree, although I'm expecting McNabb to be cut at some point - his contract is too rich for anyone to take on. Then again, Shanahan and co. could sit on him for a while to prevent him from signing with another team in time for camp.

They should keep him just to see if a team will trade a late round pick contigent on working out a big pay cut. McNabb probably wouldn't do that, just its a big risk that the team interesting might go for a different player. Leaving much less interest in him. Probably won't happen, Redskins just can't know.

Once training camp gets going he needs to be cut. That would cause a real distraction. McNabb throwing to third stringers would be quite a scene. It would be a very bad idea to have him taking reps away from Grossman/Beck.

Then again Snyder should have cut Fat Albert a long time ago, so maybe he wants media attention. He knows they won't get it from winning, only way is from freak shows.

StickSkills
07-26-2011, 02:50 AM
I agree. Paul Posluszney is more than likely to be resigned by the Bills, although I think he's better as a 4-3 mlb. I think theres a solid chance the Giants go after him.

This. I definitely think he's better in 4-3 and I've heard a lot of talk about him and the Giants from the Penn State circles.

Monomach
07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I'd be fine bringing Pisa back. And we also have that J.T. Thomas guy.

A guy who has a 99.9999999999% chance of missing most of the season and a guy who only has special teams talent? Awesome.

Pisa can GTFO and never come back. We need Manny Lawson or Nick Roach.

Originally Posted by Bearsfan123

He's not Rice, Holmes, Edwards, or even MSW, but he'd be the best receiver on our roster by miles. You're right about Mebane. The guy is going to cost a ton. He's criminally underrated because he's been playing in the middle of nowhere, but he's one of the best DTs in the league. Hopefully, we get at least two OL starters in FA.

But anyway, the original post makes no sense. No one in the NFL signs with the team they're already on and already know the playbooks for? Mmmhmm.

MidwestJimmy
07-26-2011, 09:34 AM
But anyway, the original post makes no sense. No one in the NFL signs with the team they're already on and already know the playbooks for? Mmmhmm.

Monomach, I guess you missed this part of my original post:

NOTE: This list is only for players who I predict will sign with a new team. If I think a free agent is re-signing with his current team, he is not listed here.

DI
07-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Some Predictions:

- Nnamdi Asomugha to the Baltimore Ravens
- Matt Hasselbeck to the Tennessee Titans
- Jonathan Joseph to the Detroit Lions
- Antonio Cromarite to the Oakland Raiders
- Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets
- Aubrayo Franklin to the Washington Redskins
- Cullen Jenkins to the Washington Redskins
- Sidney Rice to the St. Louis Rams
- DeAngelo Williams to the Miami Dolphins
- Ahmad Bradshaw to the New York Giants
- Ike Taylor to the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Charles Johnson to the Carolina Panthers
- Mathias Kiwanuka to the New York Giants
- Matt Roth to the New England Patriots
- Ray Edwards to the Seattle Seahawks
- Barry Coefield to the Denver Broncos
- Paul Posluszny to the New York Giants
- Braylon Edwards to the Washington Redskins
- Randy Moss to the New York Jets
- Plaxico Burress to the Philadelphia Eagles
- Zach Miller to the Oakland Raiders
- Malcom Floyd to the Minnesota Vikings

Monomach
07-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Monomach, I guess you missed this part of my original post:

No, I caught that. I also caught that YOU LISTED EVERY FREE AGENT OF REAL CONSEQUENCE, rendering what I said pretty much true. At least half of the list is just going to re-sign with their current teams.

The list is ridiculous and is in no way realistic.

BaLLiN
07-26-2011, 08:35 PM
I highly doubt the giants bring in Poz now that we have Herzlich and we're rumored to bring in that atlanta OLB also considering his injury history

M.O.T.H.
07-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Poz signed with the Jags a little bit ago.

MidwestJimmy
07-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Poz signed with the Jags a little bit ago.

Darn, I almost put him in Jacksonville [LOL]. At least I hit on Mikell.