PDA

View Full Version : When and where will Aaron Murray get picked?

Halsey
07-19-2011, 04:18 AM
I recently read a mock on a well known site that put Aaron Murray into the 2013 first round. I'm curious where other people think he'll get drafted. I'm thinking second or third round. I wouldn't be shocked if he had a big year in 2011 and considered declaring.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
07-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Well i think personally he is overrated. Seems like everything coming out of Uof GA at Qb and SEC at Qb is VERY VERY overrated. the qb the lions took 3 years i dont even care what his name was, dude cant even stay healthy and when he plays its very aveage. he had a great arm can throw the ball 75 yards ... so what how does that help you when your not accurate , and you CANT STAY ON THE FIELD. =BUST.

princefielder28
07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Aaron Murray progressed really well throughout the season and the sky is the limit for this kid...I don't see him being ready to declare after this season but looking ahead to 2013 and what would be two years of further development, I think Murray could easily be a Top 15 selection

AntoinCD
07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Well i think personally he is overrated. Seems like everything coming out of Uof GA at Qb and SEC at Qb is VERY VERY overrated. the qb the lions took 3 years i dont even care what his name was, dude cant even stay healthy and when he plays its very aveage. he had a great arm can throw the ball 75 yards ... so what how does that help you when your not accurate , and you CANT STAY ON THE FIELD. =BUST.

I believe that would be Matt Stafford you're talking about, and yes he has had some injury worries, however to say his play has been very average when healthy is a little bit wrong. Stafford has shown great ability and leadership when healthy. Obviously being on the field is half the battle, however if he stays healthy there is not one QB drafted in the last 3 or 4 years I would take over him.

SickwithIt1010
07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Hes a small QB, who we havent seen play well without AJ Green....lets wait till this season before we start predicting 1st round.

dannyz
07-19-2011, 05:37 PM
The only thing that will hold him back is his Size 6'1" is a little to small but he has been compared to Drew Brees. If he was only 6'4" and Progressed the way everyone thinks he should he would be a Top 5 Pick.

ChiFan24
07-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Please stop talking.

Murray is one of the most impressive QB's I watched last season, considering his age. The height is a negative, but I liked everything else. I'd say the first round is a legitimate possibility.

49erNation85
07-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Kellen Moore > Murray no question.

Big Bird
07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Hes a small QB, who we havent seen play well without AJ Green....lets wait till this season before we start predicting 1st round.
The first four games of last season, you know, when A.J. was suspended?

etk
07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Aaron Murray progressed really well throughout the season and the sky is the limit for this kid...I don't see him being ready to declare after this season but looking ahead to 2013 and what would be two years of further development, I think Murray could easily be a Top 15 selection

+1 to everything you said. Those who don't actually watch the games but just look at #s will see his height and question everything about him, but Murray stands tall in the pocket with good mechanics and has a strong arm. He has one of the best deep balls in college football. Definitely a top 15 talent if he continues to progress the way he's shown.

Halsey
07-19-2011, 07:52 PM
To be fair, the first 4 games of last season were the first 4 starts of Murray's career. Georgia went 1-3 and the losses were to 3 teams who were pretty good last year: South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi State. Murray played respectably in all 3 of those games.

SolidGold
07-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I am looking forward to watching him play more this year. His height will be the main thing affecting his stock, I think he has all the other tools and will be able to bulk up to take the hits at the next level. I have to throw the obligatory Drew Brees comparison out there based on the height "issue".

hockey619
07-20-2011, 09:51 AM
I am looking forward to watching him play more this year. His height will be the main thing affecting his stock, I think he has all the other tools and will be able to bulk up to take the hits at the next level. I have to throw the obligatory Drew Brees comparison out there based on the height "issue".

He actually does resemble brees a bit, not just because of the height, but the mobility while he was in college. Little known fact about brees is that he ran quite a bit at Purdue, and murray displays similar mobility. He does have a very good arm too puts good touch on passes but can also fire it in there. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

georgiafan
07-20-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't see Murray getting picked in the 1st round I see him as a 3rd round pick in the Colt Mccoy mold.

wicket
07-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Kellen Moore > Murray no question.

yeah, that doesnt roll with me

jrdrylie
07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
2014 Third Round

K Train
07-20-2011, 02:29 PM

madness, stafford is gonna be a good one

Malaka
07-20-2011, 03:16 PM
I like Murray way better than McCoy.

I know McCoy had all those stats (system) and the wins (the program).

Murray, if he keeps up his play, actually has a very nice arm, something McCoy definitely can't boast. I don't see a Drew Brees type in him though, more of a gunslinger (I see Brees as a precision guy, and other than this past year he pretty much was). In accord with what everyone else has been saying if he was taller he'd be a much higher pick.

My verdict: If Tebow can go round 1 Murray could too. Murray is, IMO, a much better pro prospect than Tebow. However, McDaniels is no longer running a team so I don't know if a coach will go googly-eyed for this guy like McDaniels did with Tebow. I honestly project late first to mid 2nd. Someone will take him before round 3.

HakeemtheMachine
07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Aaron Murray vs Auburn
eXDQCtxto3A

ChiFan24
07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
That's one of the games that sold me on him. 19 or 20 years old in that video...give him 2 more years and he's a first round pick.

Malaka
07-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Funny thing is, if Murray get's into the league and stays healthy he could end up having a better career then the other, more highly-touted, former Georgia QB prospect.

Big Bird
07-20-2011, 03:55 PM
I have no idea how anybody could watch the game against Auburn and not be convinced he is a future stud at the Quarterback position. What I've always been impressed with Murray, since High School, was his poise and composure. The guy got beat up the entire game, and got right up. Not only that, he stood tall in the pocket when he could and delivered strikes with Nick Fairley in his face. That takes guts.

I understand having a stud in A.J. Green and two NFL talents in Kris Durham and Orson Charles is a help, but the guy has a strong arm and great ball placement. For those worried about his height, I've said it before and say it again, this guy is Drew Brees. He is fundamentally sound, and has big hands which help make-up for his height (as it does with Brees).

I haven't even heard a valid criticism against Murray yet...

Malaka
07-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Again the only knock on him is height.

The last time a QB was picked in the top 15 that was 6'1 or under it was Michael Vick.

Murray does not compare very well to Vick, in my honest opinion.

Master Exploder
07-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Aaron Murray is very impressive, but I don't see him ever being a top 15 pick, due to his height.

The bad thing is, I had a class next door to one of his classes last semester, so I passed him by quite a bit and he's roughly anywhere from a half-inch to an inch shorter than me and I only measure in at 6'1 on a good day, so I'm thinking he may be closer to the 5'11-6'0 range.

HakeemtheMachine
07-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Again the only knock on him is height.

The last time a QB was picked in the top 15 that was 6'1 or under it was Michael Vick.

Murray does not compare very well to Vick, in my honest opinion.
Rex Grossman was a first rounder , Cade Mcnown as well. funny how they were both taken by the Bears

ChiFan24
07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
If everything else is there, I don't think height should make much difference. Maybe the difference between a top 5 pick and a top 15 pick......but not the difference between a first and third rounder.

HakeemtheMachine
07-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Aaron Murray is very impressive, but I don't see him ever being a top 15 pick, due to his height.

The bad thing is, I had a class next door to one of his classes last semester, so I passed him by quite a bit and he's roughly anywhere from a half-inch to an inch shorter than me and I only measure in at 6'1 on a good day, so I'm thinking he may be closer to the 5'11-6'0 range.
wouldnt surprise me. Any listed height i assume he is at least an inch shorter

DBNYDP
07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Let us not forget that Georgia's defense was complete crap this year.

nepg
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
He's got a good arm, but the height is killer for a guy that relies on a strong arm like that. I'd put him as a 4th round at this point. And that's considering a strong overall prospect in Dirty Dick Stanzi went in the 5th. Darrell *******. H a c k n e y.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-22-2011, 07:16 PM

You very well could be correct, but this is eerily reminiscent of people with the whole: "I stood next to Eric Berry, and I towered over him. I'm 6'0, so he's probably only like 5'9."

Cigaro
07-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I think Murray will emerge as an elite-talent quarterback. The problem is of course his height. If he were 6'3+, I honestly could see him as a number one overall pick should he stay long enough. But you can't pretend away height problems.

Regardless, I see him as a first round lock with a very good chance of being a great NFL quarterback with the right system.

FTRWRTR
07-24-2011, 01:36 PM
If everything else is there, I don't think height should make much difference. Maybe the difference between a top 5 pick and a top 15 pick......but not the difference between a first and third rounder.If you think that then you haven't been paying attention to past NFL drafts.

No way a guy his height goes in the first. Especially if it turns out he is only about 6'.

Mr. Offseason
07-24-2011, 06:22 PM
He actually does resemble brees a bit, not just because of the height, but the mobility while he was in college. Little known fact about brees is that he ran quite a bit at Purdue, and murray displays similar mobility. He does have a very good arm too puts good touch on passes but can also fire it in there. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Murray screams Drew Brees to me. Shorter guy, strong arm, accurate, mobile enough to run and extend plays, very smart...

What's not to like about Murray? I was very impressed with him last year, can't wait to see how he progresses over the next two years. I too would be surprised if he left after this year. In the 2013 draft he could very well be a 1st rounder. Can't say he will be for sure obviously, but he has a good shot at it.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
07-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Please stop talking.

Murray is one of the most impressive QB's I watched last season, considering his age. The height is a negative, but I liked everything else. I'd say the first round is a legitimate possibility.

Ok we will see how he does this year, without AJ Green.

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
madness, stafford is gonna be a good one

Sure if he can stay healthy.

princefielder28
07-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Ok we will see how he does this year, without AJ Green.

With a full year of experience and given the talent that Murray possesses himself, I expect him to be fine without AJ Green. Not that you can replace someone the caliber of Green but having a security blanket like Green in your first year in a conference like the SEC is a big help in a quarterback's development and Murray, in year two, should be the type of quarterback that improves the players around him rather than the other way around. I expect Marlon Brown to have a breakout year with the departures of Green and Durham.

How Fly Boy
07-25-2011, 02:16 PM
He's got a good arm, but the height is killer for a guy that relies on a strong arm like that. I'd put him as a 4th round at this point. And that's considering a strong overall prospect in Dirty Dick Stanzi went in the 5th. Darrell *******. H a c k n e y.

I'd be surprised if Matt Barkley measured in at 6'2'', and he's heavily reliant on his arm strength for completing a high quantity of his passes. Measurables only play a role in the evaluation process of a QB to a degree.

This isn't Troy Smith, guys.

Halsey
07-25-2011, 06:40 PM
If he plays well this year his critics will say it's because he has Orson Charles and whoever other pass catchers play well. If he doesn't play well, it'll be "see, I told you he couldn't play well without Green!".

REDSKINSWARRIOR82
07-25-2011, 08:06 PM
With a full year of experience and given the talent that Murray possesses himself, I expect him to be fine without AJ Green. Not that you can replace someone the caliber of Green but having a security blanket like Green in your first year in a conference like the SEC is a big help in a quarterback's development and Murray, in year two, should be the type of quarterback that improves the players around him rather than the other way around. I expect Marlon Brown to have a breakout year with the departures of Green and Durham.

Well to be fair to Aaron Murray, My Terps have a good QB too in Danny O'Brien who also lost his big time Wide out in Torrey SMith and i still have alot of faith in O'Brien.

edgrenade
08-01-2011, 03:40 AM
I watched the Georgia/Auburn game last year to watch Newton play, and I was blown away by the way Murray was playing. His release is beautiful. I had never seen or heard of him before that point which made me 100% un-biased.

Like everyone else, I noticed that he was on the short side.

AND CAN WE PLEASE STOP COMPARING EVERY 6 FT TALL WHITE QB TO BREES?!?!

That is all

luluxiu
08-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Little-known facts about Yi Jianlian, in Purdue, he ran a lot, and Murray show similar mobility. He has a good arm but also to pass on the good feeling, but can also be where the fire. Certainly someone to keep eyes...

SchizophrenicBatman
08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Little-known facts about Yi Jianlian, in Purdue, he ran a lot, and Murray show similar mobility. He has a good arm but also to pass on the good feeling, but can also be where the fire. Certainly someone to keep eyes...

HOF post!

Tell me more about Yi at Purdue please. Are there any ripoff chinese jerseys you are trying to sell that I can buy?