PDA

View Full Version : Dream Team of Tomorrow (Results)

phlysac
07-19-2011, 03:28 PM
ESPN Predicts Best Players 2014-2016

Dream Team of Tomorrow (2014-2016)

Head Coach - Mike Tomlin - Pittsburgh Steelers

Offense

QB - Aaron Rodgers - Green Bay Packers
RB - Chris Johnson - Tennessee Titans
RB - Jamaal Charles - Kansas City Chiefs
WR - Calvin Johnson - Detroit Lions
WR - Larry Fitzgerald - Arizona Cardinals
TE - Vernon Davis - San Francisco 49ers
OT - Jake Long - Miami Dolphins
OT - Joe Thomas - Cleveland Browns
OG - Jahri Evans - New Orleans Saints
OG - Mike Iupati - San Francisco 49ers
C - Maurkice Pouncey - Pittsburgh Steelers

Defense

DE - Justin Tuck - New York Giants
DE - Chris Long - St. Louis Rams
DT - Ndamukong Suh - Detroit Lions
DT - Haloti Ngata - Baltimore Ravens
LB - Clay Matthews - Green Bay Packers
LB - Patrick Willis - San Francisco 49ers
LB - DeMarcus Ware - Dallas Cowboys
CB - Darrelle Revis - New York Jets
CB - Patrick Peterson - Arizona Cardinals
FS - Eric Berry - Kansas City Chiefs
SS - Brandon Meriweather - New England Patriots

Special Teams

P - Thomas Morstead - New Orleans Saints
PK - Garrett Hartley - New Orleans Saints
PR - DeSean Jackson - Philadelphia Eagles
KR - Brandon Tate - New England Patriots

Dream Team of Tomorrow: Let's unveil it
The votes have been cast; here are players you think will star in 2014-16

Ndamukong Suh is well on his way to becoming one of the NFL's elite sack-masters. He's already mastered how to make a strong first impression.

As a rookie in 2010, Suh registered 10 sacks, toyed with opposing offensive linemen on a weekly basis and firmly entrenched himself as the foundation of Detroit's young defense.

Judging by the results of our Dream Team of Tomorrow voting (which ended Friday afternoon), Suh's first-year exploits left the football masses in awe. Not only did Suh win his position battle in a landslide, he earned more votes than any other player on the ballot. (In case you missed it, we asked users to pick the players who, if placed on the same roster, would dominate from 2014 to 2016.)

Suh earned a whopping 90.3 percent of the votes at defensive tackle, easily beating out Baltimore's Haloti Ngata (29 percent) and Green Bay's B.J. Raji (28.7 percent).

The Jets' Darrelle Revis was the other runaway winner on defense. Revis, already a three-time Pro Bowler at 25, received 75.3 percent of the cornerback votes, trumping Cardinals rookie Patrick Peterson (38.9 percent). Eric Berry was also a fan favorite; the second-year Chief won the free safety race by wide margin over Green Bay's Nick Collins (50.5 percent to 19.7 percent).

The other defensive positional races weren't nearly as lopsided. Clay Matthews netted 79.2 percent of the linebacker votes but was followed closely by Patrick Willis (68.9 percent). Dallas' DeMarcus Ware, who will be 32 when the window for this project starts in 2014, grabbed the third and final linebacker spot.

The most convincing winner on offense probably won't surprise anyone. The Packers' Aaron Rodgers, coming off a dream season, was chosen as our dream team quarterback by a wide margin. The Super Bowl XLV MVP earned 53.1 percent of votes. St. Louis' Sam Bradford was the runner-up at just 13 percent.

Here are some observations:

Experience valued: The ballot was dotted with notable college players and highly touted 2011 draft picks. Only Peterson really endeared himself to voters, who preferred established players across the board. Dolphins rookie Mike Pouncey was the third-ranked center, but he received a paltry 8.6 percent of the vote.

Even the esteemed Andrew Luck couldn't truly win over the voters. Luck, whom some experts believe is the most complete quarterback prospect since John Elway, received only 10.4 percent of the QB vote, good for fourth place. Another example is former Alabama stalwart and Saints first-round pick Mark Ingram. Despite having a Heisman Trophy, a national title and a 3,261-yard college rushing career to his credit, Ingram managed only an eighth-place finish among running backs (10.1 percent).

So what does all this say about the voters' mindsets? They wanted proven production, not potential. And that's exactly what they got. Former 2,000-yard rusher Chris Johnson won the running back vote, Vernon Davis (13 TDs in 2009) prevailed in a talented tight end group, three-time Pro Bowler Jake Long was the top offensive tackle, and Justin Tuck (40.5 career sacks) emerged as the top defensive end, despite being 28 years old.

No Cam-do: Luck didn't exactly wow the voters, but he fared a lot better than Cam Newton. This year's No. 1 overall pick received just 2.1 percent of the quarterback vote, which put him last in the eight-player group.
Again, voters seemed to feel better about proven commodities such as Rodgers, Bradford and Matt Ryan than Newton, whose small (albeit spectacular) body of work at Auburn might have been a deterrent.

Jones vs. Green: Who's the better wideout, Julio Jones or A.J. Green? It was a question tossed around by many leading up to the 2011 draft. For what it's worth -- and if you use our ballot as a gauge -- fans believe Green has more upside, but not by leaps and bounds. Green finished fourth among receivers, garnering 13.4 percent of the vote; Jones was ninth, getting 6.5 percent.

The results are interesting. On the surface, Jones, who will be featured in the Falcons' potent passing attack, appears to be in a better position to thrive early. Green, on the other hand, is being thrown into a Bengals offense that underachieved in 2010 and will probably be in flux heading into training camp.

Stay tuned. This debate isn't expected to end any time soon.

Coaching call: Did the Steelers' Super Bowl XLV loss hurt Mike Tomlin's stock? Not in the eyes of voters. Tomlin, the youngest coach on the ballot and the second-youngest in football, edged the Patriots' Bill Belichick for the No. 1. spot (26.8 percent to 22.7 percent). The Packers' Mike McCarthy finished third, earning 17.2 percent of the vote.

Although Belichick is widely considered the best in the business and McCarthy is on top right now, it's hard to argue with the voters' decision. Tomlin, 39, has yet to reach his coaching ceiling, and he's accomplished plenty in four years (two Super Bowl trips, five playoff wins).

Of course, having the star power assembled here would be a dream for any coach. Unfortunately, our Dream Team of Tomorrow will never be put to action, but at least we can imagine the sight of such prodigious talent taking the field all at once.

The first impressions would be amazing.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6772733/introducing-your-nfl-dream-team-tomorrow?ex_cid=espn-twttr

AntoinCD
07-19-2011, 03:33 PM
What the hell do people see in Brandon Merriweather that they think he is this awesome player??? Pat Chung is and will be a better player at the safety position. Don't get me wrong, if Merriweather could stick to his asignments and cut down on the boneheaded plays(like tackling Devin McCourty instead of James Jones against the Packers last year) then his playmaking ability is almost unmatched, but that is a huge if.

On another note, in 3 years I would still take Nick Mangold over Pouncey 101 times out of 100.

YAYareaRB
07-19-2011, 03:37 PM
3 niners FTW!!!

K Train
07-19-2011, 03:42 PM
brandon merriweather? lol

I would say they missed on a Guard, i dont even think evans is the best on the saints, nicks is sick. i dont think charles should be there over peterson personally (or chris johnson for that matter)

Both DEs look like a mess too

No guys that arent in the league yet both drafted this year or eligible next year....if suh, pouncey, berry, iupati, and tate can make it after 1 season as among the leagues best players, no reason why projecting a few years down the line should be a problem

phlysac
07-19-2011, 05:27 PM
No guys that arent in the league yet both drafted this year or eligible next year....if suh, pouncey, berry, iupati, and tate can make it after 1 season as among the leagues best players, no reason why projecting a few years down the line should be a problem

I believe they did that according to the article. It's just that none of them (Andrew Luck for example) were the top vote getters.

Yeah, here it is...

Here are some observations:

Experience valued: The ballot was dotted with notable college players and highly touted 2011 draft picks. Only Peterson really endeared himself to voters, who preferred established players across the board. Dolphins rookie Mike Pouncey was the third-ranked center, but he received a paltry 8.6 percent of the vote.

Even the esteemed Andrew Luck couldn't truly win over the voters. Luck, whom some experts believe is the most complete quarterback prospect since John Elway, received only 10.4 percent of the QB vote, good for fourth place. Another example is former Alabama stalwart and Saints first-round pick Mark Ingram. Despite having a Heisman Trophy, a national title and a 3,261-yard college rushing career to his credit, Ingram managed only an eighth-place finish among running backs (10.1 percent).

No Cam-do: Luck didn't exactly wow the voters, but he fared a lot better than Cam Newton. This year's No. 1 overall pick received just 2.1 percent of the quarterback vote, which put him last in the eight-player group.
Again, voters seemed to feel better about proven commodities such as Rodgers, Bradford and Matt Ryan than Newton, whose small (albeit spectacular) body of work at Auburn might have been a deterrent.

K Train
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I believe they did that according to the article. It's just that none of them (Andrew Luck for example) were the top vote getters.

Yeah, here it is...

yeah i read it, i more along the line meant that since none of them got voted it the voters must have been hesitant to make a ballsy projection....even with this past years class with peterson being the only one.

not really andrew luck, i think hes gonna be great but probably not right away like a guy like suh did and just won the hearts of everyone....but maybe trent richardson, cordy glenn, or other guys that are seemingly poised to be high draft picks and good pros could have gotten a little love.

im gonna go out on a limb and say jeff luc is a top OLB in 2016 lol

dannyz
07-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I can't believe the ESPN Guys are shocked about Andrew Luck getting more Votes than Cam Newton. That is just Disrespectful the Andrew Luck.

etk
07-19-2011, 07:17 PM
What the hell do people see in Brandon Merriweather that they think he is this awesome player??? Pat Chung is and will be a better player at the safety position. Don't get me wrong, if Merriweather could stick to his asignments and cut down on the boneheaded plays(like tackling Devin McCourty instead of James Jones against the Packers last year) then his playmaking ability is almost unmatched, but that is a huge if.

On another note, in 3 years I would still take Nick Mangold over Pouncey 101 times out of 100.

Did you vote in the poll? The reason Meriweather is the winner is because the competition at SS is awful. I would've voted for Chung but he's only available at FS, as are the other good young safeties. Everyone picks Berry at FS so Berry's not available at SS and then Meriweather is all that's left, or Laron Landry IIRC.

It's funny that Meriweather is the EXACT same player that he was at Miami. He had so many WTF moments as a Cane...

Agree about Mangold.

K Train
07-19-2011, 07:21 PM
im going out on a limb and putting TJ Ward over merriweather

etk
07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
im going out on a limb and putting TJ Ward over merriweather

Which is only possible in this poll if you have Berry at SS...

hockey619
07-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Meriweather is so hit and miss, shame.

speaking of mccourty, why was he not on this list over PP? I think mccourty is going to be a monster, he was damn good last year and he'll only get better with a better pass rush. I find it hard to believe PP will out do mccourty's rookie year.

fear the elf
07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Meriweather is so hit and miss, shame.

speaking of mccourty, why was he not on this list over PP? I think mccourty is going to be a monster, he was damn good last year and he'll only get better with a better pass rush. I find it hard to believe PP will out do mccourty's rookie year.

I'm inserting a Joe Haden plug. Please check the links; Joe's and Devin's stats are much closer than the media would lead you to believe, while Joe started 9 less games. Just sayin'...

Joe Haden (http://www.nfl.com/player/joehaden/496733/profile)

Devin McCourty (http://www.nfl.com/player/devinmccourty/494287/profile)

Don Vito
07-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I saw Mike Tomlin and stopped reading

J-Mike88
07-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Well, the Rooney Rule got you.

I'd be surprised if Finley (stays healthy) didn't outproduce Davis.

Also, Chris Johnson's shelf life won't last that long.

AntoinCD
07-20-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm inserting a Joe Haden plug. Please check the links; Joe's and Devin's stats are much closer than the media would lead you to believe, while Joe started 9 less games. Just sayin'...

Joe Haden (http://www.nfl.com/player/joehaden/496733/profile)

Devin McCourty (http://www.nfl.com/player/devinmccourty/494287/profile)

Haden's a stud for sure and will be a really good player. But the thing with McCourty is he came in and from day one he was the main guy. Other CBs on the Pats active roster last year??? Such studly names as Kyle Arrington, Darius Butler, Jonathon Wilhite...hell even Pat Chung was playing some CB. Stats for a CB are very misleading as well. It doesn't show how often they got beat on NFL.com. From watching every Pats game last year all I know is that McCourty was amazing against Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, TO, Randy Moss etc. In the second half of the season he was easily a top 5 CB. Obviously he has to keep building on his game to be considered that highly, but really the only WR last year who gave him any real problems was Braylon Edwards(once in the second game of the year and once in the playoff loss)

SickwithIt1010
07-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Sorry, BB is too old.

J-Mike88
07-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Remember, even with the most bizarre cast of WRs he's ever had, and with Gates hurt for a good month, Rivers threw for 4,710 yards and 30 TDs, both higher than my man Rodgers.

Rivers played most of last season without Vincent Jackson and lost Antonio Gates for good with a month left.

He's led the NFL in yards per attempt for 3 straight seasons.
He's also thrown at least 28 TDs for 3 straight years.

vidae
07-20-2011, 09:20 PM
I'll take Charles and Berry on this list!

jsagan77
07-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Looking at it, my projections are a about 35% different than theirs. Am I the only one that thinks that in a few years the Rivers vs Rodgers battle is going to be like the Brady vs Manning thing we have going on now or is it going to be something crazy like Rivers vs Rodgers vs Ryan vs Luck?

At either rate here are my predictions.

Offense

QB - Phillip Rivers - San Diego Chargers
RB - Chris Johnson - Tennessee Titans
RB - Adrian Peterson- Minnesota Vikings
WR - Calvin Johnson - Detroit Lions
WR - Andre Johnson - Houston Texans
TE - Vernon Davis - San Francisco 49ers
OT - Jake Long - Miami Dolphins
OT - Joe Thomas - Cleveland Browns
OG - Jahri Evans - New Orleans Saints
OG - Carl Nicks - New Orleans Saints
C - Nick Mangold - NY Jets

Defense

DE - Justin Tuck - New York Giants
DE - Mario Williams - Houston Texans
DT - Ndamukong Suh - Detroit Lions
DT - Haloti Ngata - Baltimore Ravens
LB - Clay Matthews - Green Bay Packers
LB - Patrick Willis - San Francisco 49ers
LB - DeMarcus Ware - Dallas Cowboys
CB - Darrelle Revis - New York Jets
CB - Brandon Flowers - Kansas City Chiefs
FS - Eric Berry - Kansas City Chiefs
SS - Laron Landry - Washington Redskins

Special Teams

P - Thomas Morstead - New Orleans Saints
PK - Alex Henry - Philadelphia Eagles
PR - DeSean Jackson - Philadelphia Eagles
KR - Brandon Banks - Washington Redskins

prock
07-21-2011, 03:45 AM

TAKE IT TO DA HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fear the elf
07-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Haden's a stud for sure and will be a really good player. But the thing with McCourty is he came in and from day one he was the main guy. Other CBs on the Pats active roster last year??? Such studly names as Kyle Arrington, Darius Butler, Jonathon Wilhite...hell even Pat Chung was playing some CB. Stats for a CB are very misleading as well. It doesn't show how often they got beat on NFL.com. From watching every Pats game last year all I know is that McCourty was amazing against Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, TO, Randy Moss etc. In the second half of the season he was easily a top 5 CB. Obviously he has to keep building on his game to be considered that highly, but really the only WR last year who gave him any real problems was Braylon Edwards(once in the second game of the year and once in the playoff loss)

No arguments here; what McCourty did last year was ridiculous. I just had to make sure everyone was aware that Joe Haden was pretty decent too. :)

tjsunstein
07-21-2011, 06:46 PM
It's hard to argue with the position players they have on offense. I would take Finley's production over Davis' for the remaining time they play but due to inexperience and health issues for Finley, I see why Davis tops the TE group.

I don't like BM at the S spot but it is what it is. Not too many superstars in the waiting at SS.

Can't argue with that LB core.

I would like Mario Williams to be on the team. Not sure what his role is exactly yet, though.

BlindSite
07-21-2011, 07:06 PM
I think the inclusion of Long over Charles Johnson is a little bit of name / potential over what's been shown.