PDA

View Full Version : The 90% requirement of the CBA is just stupid

wordofi
07-20-2011, 10:31 AM
This is going to hurt teams like the Buccaneers, who have $59 million in cap space. Now, they're going to have to spend about $50 million to be compliant. This is going to screw them over in the future when they have to resign their core players.

descendency
07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Nothing says they have to go spend the money on free agents And nothing says it can't be a bunch of 1 year deals.

Plus, the bucs deserve it. They're cheap ass owner doesn't deserve a football team. He should be thrown out of the NFL.

falloutboy14
07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
If they wanted to, they could add 5 years to Josh Freeman's contract. Could put $16m in the next 2 years and afterwards give him practically no cap space for an extended period of time.

gpngc
07-20-2011, 11:27 AM
They could lock up their own guys if that's the way they want to deal with the floor requirement.

The 90% rule (which I think is actually 93%), is what makes the NFL better than any other pro sport. This rule preserves parity.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
07-20-2011, 12:17 PM
teams have been working around the cap ceiling and floor for years now. i'm sure they will figure out how to use their money as wisely as possible. plus, why do you feel sorry for an owner that just bank rolled almost $100,000,000 of pure profit in the last few years because there was no salary floor? now, he'll have to spend half of that to get back to within the salary floor. by my calculations, (and i'm no math major) he still made out like a bandit.

killxswitch
07-20-2011, 01:31 PM
I do think 94% or whatever it is, is kind of high. The Bucs for example have quite a few really good, young pieces. So they are going to be punished for drafting well. One of the best parts of getting a guy like Josh Freeman or Clay Matthews is that you can ride their success for a few seasons at a bargain price. This seems like a pretty big win for the players.

Matthew Jones
07-20-2011, 01:34 PM
They don't actually have to sign anyone - I believe if they fail to meet the floor, the amount of money needed to reach the floor is divided evenly between the players on the roster, so if they don't sign anyone else, each player on roster will be getting an extra $1m or so.

fenikz
07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I love it, force Bidwell to actually spend

PackerLegend
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM
They don't have to go blow a bunch of money right away to meet the requirement. They have until around March sometime to reach the bottom floor. So they can just lock up some of their young players longterm and sign a couple free agents.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
07-20-2011, 03:19 PM
i heard Schefter talk about it and he says that they have to meet the salary floor/ceiling at a specific date and that isn't until the end of the season. so, they'll have all year to figure out which of their in house guys to re-sign.

the Bucs should be in the same boat KC is in. we have a ton of $$$ rapped up in our top 10 picks of recent drafts. those contracts always escalate as the years pass.

killxswitch
07-20-2011, 07:08 PM
I heard on the radio from Jason Cole (yahoo sports) that each team doesn't have to spend up to the floor, but the average of each team's salaries has to be above the floor. So if he's right, teams like the Bucs and Bengals can spend below the floor as long as teams like the Colts and Skins and Raiders that always spend to the cap limit make up the difference.

Dam8610
07-20-2011, 09:22 PM
I heard on the radio from Jason Cole (yahoo sports) that each team doesn't have to spend up to the floor, but the average of each team's salaries has to be above the floor. So if he's right, teams like the Bucs and Bengals can spend below the floor as long as teams like the Colts and Skins and Raiders that always spend to the cap limit make up the difference.

From my understanding, 90% of the cap is the per team floor, and 99% of the cap is the leaguewide floor.

wordofi
07-21-2011, 09:58 PM
teams have been working around the cap ceiling and floor for years now. i'm sure they will figure out how to use their money as wisely as possible. plus, why do you feel sorry for an owner that just bank rolled almost $100,000,000 of pure profit in the last few years because there was no salary floor? now, he'll have to spend half of that to get back to within the salary floor. by my calculations, (and i'm no math major) he still made out like a bandit.

If you want to get political, there's other threads for that. Enough of the class warfare.

Also, the other owners have to approve somebody buying a team. So, blame the other owners.