PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes: Should Teams be Cautious about paying him big money?

bucfan12
07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm curious is to why teams like the Jets or Redskins are willing to give him a huge deal. Yes the talent is there and he is the top WR on the market according to most analysts. But aren't many forgetting he's one failed substance/drug test away from a year long suspension? I mean, if I were a GM, I'd be cautious about giving him a huge deal, especially if he messes up and theres a chance you lose him indefinately and has to reapply after a year.

Thoughts?

SolidGold
07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Redskins don't take those things into account..they throw money away left and right...Haynesworth is a prime example. No matter what people said about a regime change in DC, all the rumors are that the Redskins are willing to spend big in FA.

Jughead10
07-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Redskins don't take those things into account..they throw money away left and right...Haynesworth is a prime example. No matter what people said about a regime change in DC, all the rumors are that the Redskins are willing to spend big in FA.

Difference is right now they are actually in a position to spend big. In the past they would just delaying cap problems by moving money around and spending when they were already up against the cap.

I've only heard them linked to Holmes and Yanda. And if they were to get those guys, they'd still be in very good financial shape.

I'd also wait and see what Holmes gets. This is a very weak FA class in my opinion. People are just getting carried away because we've been starved of football for too long.

hockey619
07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm curious is to why teams like the Jets or Redskins are willing to give him a huge deal. Yes the talent is there and he is the top WR on the market according to most analysts. But aren't many forgetting he's one failed substance/drug test away from a year long suspension? I mean, if I were a GM, I'd be cautious about giving him a huge deal, especially if he messes up and theres a chance you lose him indefinately and has to reapply after a year.

Thoughts?

this is the only real drawback to him though imo

as a pure player on the field, he is great and always seems to come through huge in big moments.

i mean the super bowl td catch, the catch before that where he got them down to the five, on the safety play he made a great catch that wouldve moved the chains and been a critical play if they hadnt gotten the holding penalty, he had a few game winners for the jets last year, he has great hands and is very underrated at all facets of the game imo.

i think hes well worth the risk, just a matter of making sure you keep him out of trouble.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2011, 12:18 PM
this is the only real drawback to him though imo

as a pure player on the field, he is great and always seems to come through huge in big moments.

i mean the super bowl td catch, the catch before that where he got them down to the five, on the safety play he made a great catch that wouldve moved the chains and been a critical play if they hadnt gotten the holding penalty, he had a few game winners for the jets last year, he has great hands and is very underrated at all facets of the game imo.

i think hes well worth the risk, just a matter of making sure you keep him out of trouble.

When you are paying someone big money you shouldn't have to worry about keeping him out of trouble. That's the problem here.

Matthew Jones
07-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I probably wouldn't pay the man because he has already run afoul of Roger Goodell a few times and could face a longer suspension if anything else happens. He's not supposed to be one of the more well-liked players in the locker room either. When it comes to free agency, my mentality would be to sign the known quantities (guys currently on the team), then look for guys who played for friends or teams in similar systems, then go for a talented guy outside of the system.

leroyisgod
07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
I like his play on the field, but I feel his off the field issues have clouded how good of a talent he truly can be.

AntoinCD
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
OK so this is a WR going into his prime who was drafted in the first round, was a Superbowl MVP and quickly becoming a favourite target for Ben Roethlisberger yet was traded for a 5th round pick??? Yeah that doesn't happen unless there are serious concerns about his character. For his play Holmes deserves to be the top WR in free agency but I dont think many teams who arent the Jets offering big money for him because as was mentioned he is one transgression away from a possible year long suspension.

K Train
07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
OK so this is a WR going into his prime who was drafted in the first round, was a Superbowl MVP and quickly becoming a favourite target for Ben Roethlisberger yet was traded for a 5th round pick??? Yeah that doesn't happen unless there are serious concerns about his character.
:-(

</3

10 char

Bucs_Rule
07-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Dan Rooney was very upset over Big Ben's off-field distractions. Yet he really couldn't get rid of a franchise QB. He could get rid of a WR, even a superbowl MVP to send a message.

If Big Ben didn't have his problems no way the Steelers trade Holmes for peanuts. They'd get way more by compensatory picks if they didn't re-sign him, which they might be trying to do if they kept him.

He is a great clutch receiver. In the SuperBowl and in many games late for the Jets. He does have a real risk with being suspended for a year, I just think it would be worth a risk if a team has a lot of cap space they need to fill.

I'd definitely take him over Sydney Rice, who had one great season and thats it. The QB situation was terrible last year for him, yet so was Fitz in Arizona.

bucfan12
07-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Dan Rooney was very upset over Big Ben's off-field distractions. Yet he really couldn't get rid of a franchise QB. He could get rid of a WR, even a superbowl MVP to send a message.

If Big Ben didn't have his problems no way the Steelers trade Holmes for peanuts. They'd get way more by compensatory picks if they didn't re-sign him, which they might be trying to do if they kept him.

He is a great clutch receiver. In the SuperBowl and in many games late for the Jets. He does have a real risk with being suspended for a year, I just think it would be worth a risk if a team has a lot of cap space they need to fill.

I'd definitely take him over Sydney Rice, who had one great season and thats it. The QB situation was terrible last year for him, yet so was Fitz in Arizona.

Check that catch made by Rice against the Bills, you might feel differently. Some WRs take time to come into their own. Rice did that in his 3rd and 4th seasons. He's a solid WR and a number 1, he was just injured/screwed by QB play last season.

yo123
07-26-2011, 07:55 PM

Rice was injured last year, only played 6 games under 100%, and if I recall correctly didn't participate in any training camp at all. Add in the horrible QB play and he was more than justified in having a below average year. 2009 was the only year he had a QB that belonged in the NFL.