PDA

View Full Version : Asomugha signs with the Eagles

Pages : [1] 2

hockey619
07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
The info about aso is coming fast and furious and with everyone clogging the other thread with info about him, i thought maybe it was time to give him his own thread.

Right now, rumors are circulating that the Jets and his people are in 'very serious' talks. we'll see what happens with that, but damn would that be fun to watch, rex would have a ball with that new toy, and as a big fan of good defense and of rex's style id love to watch that.

Houston still in the hunt, as well as the ravens from what i hear, but the amount of NYJ talks makes it seem as though theyre the front runner.

Post new news, thoughts, or anything related to the biggest free agent of this offseason.

JETS5128
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Jets are gonna get it done Tannenbaum always gets his man

Wodwo
07-27-2011, 11:49 AM
49ers are reported as serious contenders.

tjsunstein
07-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Anyone but the J-E-T-S

Raiderz4Life
07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
CMON AL!! Get it done!

D-Unit
07-27-2011, 02:04 PM
I expect Dallas to jump in... even if to simply raise the price tag.

GoRavens
07-27-2011, 02:12 PM
It's safe to say Baltimore is officially out of the running.
Sad but true, he's simply too expensive

Sloopy
07-27-2011, 02:17 PM

This may be a good thing, can sign a lesser CB safety for less money and still have a pretty solid secondary. Joseph and Cromartie are still out there and with the money saved should be able to get Ngata a new deal and maybe be able to make a late play to keep Gaither

hockey619
07-27-2011, 02:21 PM

eh, sucks for you guys but the good news is (i think) jimmy smith is going to be a monster for you guys. im still very bitter the giants took amukamara over him =( and then austin over paea =( =(

K Train
07-27-2011, 02:36 PM
eh, sucks for you guys but the good news is (i think) jimmy smith is going to be a monster for you guys. im still very bitter the giants took amukamara over him =( and then austin over paea =( =(

madness...have you ever seen amukamara play? him at 19 is just a real life display of draft robbery

Ravens1991
07-27-2011, 02:51 PM
im seriously loosing sleep that Aso may go to the Jets. It wont be fair if he is there.

niel89
07-27-2011, 02:55 PM
With Aso on the Jets the blitzes will be insane. For some reason I forgot they already had Revis too. Damn that could be super scary.

gpngc
07-27-2011, 03:00 PM
I'd handicap this race based on Twitter rumors as...

1) Jets
2) 49ers
3) Texans
4) Cowboys
5) Eagles
6) Buccaneers

dan77733
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Jets could sign Aso and still lose in the AFC Championship. LMFAO!!!

Saints-Tigers
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Aso going to NYJ would expose Revis.

hockey619
07-27-2011, 03:23 PM
madness...have you ever seen amukamara play? him at 19 is just a real life display of draft robbery

yes, his hips arent all that great and he gives up seperation too easily for my liking.

Im just not a huge fan, i think he can be a solid corner, but i think Smith can be absolutely great, lockdown type guy.

V.I.P
07-27-2011, 03:26 PM
I'd handicap this race based on Twitter rumors as...

1) Jets
2) 49ers
3) Texans
4) Cowboys
5) Eagles
6) Buccaneers

Here's a more accurate list.

Jamaal-Football
07-27-2011, 03:35 PM

hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

K Train
07-27-2011, 03:39 PM

i think they are both dominant, but i do think nnamdi is the better player and having 2 great corners isnt instant championship like some people are thinking, its just not that simple

Jvig43
07-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm a pats fan, and I will easily say the Jets getting Aso would put them as the front runners to win the SB for me. Two years straight to the AFC championship, add Aso in and I think it makes them MUCH tougher.

hockey619
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM

what jamaal said. revis has been locking down number one guys for a few years now, i dont see that suddenly changing. Hell, he might get BETTER because he'll get more pick oppurtunities. I still thinks teams will avoid him more than aso, though itll be fun watching them play pick the poison.

I'm a pats fan, and I will easily say the Jets getting Aso would put them as the front runners to win the SB for me. Two years straight to the AFC championship, add Aso in and I think it makes them MUCH tougher.

Rex will get the most out of it that can possibly be had, but this doesnt make their matchup with NE much easier really. NE used those two tight end sets last year very well, and aso only really frees up an extra guy to help out with them. theyll still be tough to cover as no one on the jets roster matches up with them particularly well.

Ness
07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
If the 49ers got him, I wouldn't be that thrilled honestly. Yes he's great, but I remember when Clements was signed and at the time he was a very good corner as well. For his first two seasons there he was great, but ultimately it doesn't really matter when you have quarterback problems.

K Train
07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
If the 49ers got him, I wouldn't be that thrilled honestly. Yes he's great, but I remember when Clements was signed and at the time he was a very good corner as well. For his first two seasons there he was great, but ultimately it doesn't really matter when you have quarterback problems.

clements was a good corner and they broke the bank open for him, he was never as dominant as nnamdi though he would actually be worth that investment

hockey619
07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/holmes-contract-leaves-plenty-of-cap-space-for-nnamdi/related

a lot of people think aso will go to the jets, he really wants to, they want him there, and most importantly they have cap space to pay the man.

Hurricanes25
07-27-2011, 04:03 PM

WOW. I'm speechless.

Quite frankly one of the dumbest things I have ever seen on this forum.

Donno
07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Good thing about Nnamdi is that he will actually play up to his contract.

YAYareaRB
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
WOW. I'm speechless.

God Brady has to expose ONE OF THEM next season :)

Hurricanes25
07-27-2011, 04:20 PM
God Brady has to expose ONE OF THEM next season :)

Haha, yeah, Kyle Wilson or Drew Coleman.

Jvig43
07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Rex will get the most out of it that can possibly be had, but this doesnt make their matchup with NE much easier really. NE used those two tight end sets last year very well, and aso only really frees up an extra guy to help out with them. theyll still be tough to cover as no one on the jets roster matches up with them particularly well.

We used them well but our offense was certainly shut down in the playoffs by you guys. Brady may actually have a weapon now at TE but that hardly would be enough to create enough mismatches with Revis freed up. I think you guys did a pretty awesome job taking care of us coverage wise in that game without having two possible hof Dbs playing haha. I am a skeptic when it comes to my team, but I still think Aso to the Jets makes them my most feared team.

WOW. I'm speechless.

Couldn't agree more.

cmarq83
07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that Holmes contract has a cap number of only $2.45 million in 2011.

How is this possible on a 5 year $50 million contract with $24 million in guarantees? Tannenbam must have an in at the league office to be able to work the cap like that.

AntoinCD
07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Jets going for Aso is both short sighted and a little silly. Sure Revis and Asomugha would be possibly one of the best CB pairings of all time. But they had a team who got to the AFC Championship game. They have the pieces. If they get Asomugha they will be forced to abandon resigning a lot of their guys from last year. Shaun Ellis, Braylon Edwards, Brodney Pool, Brad Smith etc. They will be losing a number of solid role players, plus they also have to replace their retired RT most likely with Vlad Ducasse who may not be ready which also means that Slausen will continue to start at LG which is not ideal. Kris Jenkins also retired and though he has been injured the last few years it still needs accounted for.

2 CBs, no matter how great, do not make a Championship team

Jamaal-Football
07-27-2011, 04:30 PM
The only way i see your logic failing there is the assumption that signing Aso would leave them with no room to work the cap for any other players, which i think might be a little overstated. If that report is true that was just posted, they signed Holmes to a huge deal while only hurting the cap by ~$3M. Whose to say they can't give Aso an avg of $10/per and still keep some cap space to sign some of their role guys?

Hurricanes25
07-27-2011, 04:34 PM
How is this possible on a 5 year $50 million contract with $24 million in guarantees? Tannenbam must have an in at the league office to be able to work the cap like that.

Mr. T is a miracle worker. He really knows how to work the salary cap.

hawkeye123
07-27-2011, 04:34 PM
9ers just released Clements clearing a boat load of cap space. We might actually get Aso.

Jvig43
07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
9ers just released Clements clearing a boat load of cap space. We might actually get Aso.

Omg yes 49ers, go. Go and get Aso, run your team into the ground for the next few years if you have to, just do it! haha :)

YAYareaRB
07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Haha, yeah, Kyle Wilson or Drew Coleman.

haha touche touche

Ness
07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Omg yes 49ers, go. Go and get Aso, run your team into the ground for the next few years if you have to, just do it! haha :)

I don't get it.

hawkeye123
07-27-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't get it.

He doesn't want the Jets to get him.

Ness
07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
clements was a good corner and they broke the bank open for him, he was never as dominant as nnamdi though he would actually be worth that investment

Regardless, he was still a top corner. And Oakland's losing streak ever since Asomugha was there proves that it doesn't really matter unless you have a good offense. Quarterback-league you know. Houston is probably the only exception to this. But I'd rather be in their situation than ours.

Ness
07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
He doesn't want the Jets to get him.

Oh. Okay. I still don't see how acquiring Asomugha would = running your team into the ground for years.

AntoinCD
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Oh. Okay. I still don't see how acquiring Asomugha would = running your team into the ground for years.

I dont think he was implying that getting Aso would run them into the ground, he was saying if that's what it takes for him not to go to the Jets then by all means he's okay with that

King Carls 5 Year Plan
07-27-2011, 04:50 PM

it's pretty easy to back load the contract and up the guaranteed money. Holmes know this isn't actually a 5 year, but more likely a 3 year deal with $24 M, plus 3 years of a lesser yearly wage. he'll still be young enough to get 1 more contract in 3 years

The only way i see your logic failing there is the assumption that signing Aso would leave them with no room to work the cap for any other players, which i think might be a little overstated. If that report is true that was just posted, they signed Holmes to a huge deal while only hurting the cap by ~$3M. Whose to say they can't give Aso an avg of $10/per and still keep some cap space to sign some of their role guys?

the problem with this logic is that every player signed to a back loaded deal, within a couple years will become very unaffordable. the salary cap won't go up enough each year to keep all those players. they would all be on borrowed time. i guess if they wouldn't mind mortgaging the future to have a 2 or 3 year run now, then all power to them.

Aso wold be an unbelievable pickup for any team. NY is in a rare position to be a in the AFC Championship twice. Sanchez's progression could be enough to get them over the hump, w/o Aso. with Aso, they would hamstring themselves with regards to their own FAs. what am i saying?!? **** it! if the Chiefs had a shot a being SB favorites for the next 2-3 years by signing 1 player, i'd be pissed if they didn't get him, future be damned!

Ness
07-27-2011, 04:52 PM
I dont think he was implying that getting Aso would run them into the ground, he was saying if that's what it takes for him not to go to the Jets then by all means he's okay with that

Oh alright.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Jets going for Aso is both short sighted and a little silly. Sure Revis and Asomugha would be possibly one of the best CB pairings of all time. But they had a team who got to the AFC Championship game. They have the pieces. If they get Asomugha they will be forced to abandon resigning a lot of their guys from last year. Shaun Ellis, Braylon Edwards, Brodney Pool, Brad Smith etc. They will be losing a number of solid role players, plus they also have to replace their retired RT most likely with Vlad Ducasse who may not be ready which also means that Slausen will continue to start at LG which is not ideal. Kris Jenkins also retired and though he has been injured the last few years it still needs accounted for.

2 CBs, no matter how great, do not make a Championship team

I'd rather have Asomugha on my team than Ellis, Edwards, Pool, and Smith, but that might just be me.

Ellis is old, Edwards isn't elite by any measures, neither is Pool, and Smith at the end of the day is nothing more than a great returner.

An elite CB should certainly beat out those guys.

I don't know if it's me overvaluating Aso or others not fully understanding what Revis and Aso together has the potential of being, but this is basically the worst-case scenario for the rest of the league. The only hope is they forgo upgrading the run defense and teams can hurt them that way, but that's pretty wishful thinking, TBH.

Revis will probably keep overshadowing the best receiver on opposing teams, meaning Aso will stick to #2's, and there are very few teams that have legit WR corps to challenge these guys.

And it's not as if the rest of the defense sucks, this will really help them. I really, really hope this doesn't go through.

Hurricanes25
07-27-2011, 04:59 PM
I'd much rather have Asomugha on my team than Ellis, Edwards, Pool, and Smith.

100% agree. Those guys are all replaceable. Aso and Revis would be an all time great CB duo.

AntoinCD
07-27-2011, 05:03 PM
I'd much rather have Asomugha on my team than Ellis, Edwards, Pool, and Smith.

I don't know if it's me overvaluating Aso or others not fully understanding what Revis and Aso together has the potential of being, but this is basically the worst-case scenario for the rest of the league. The only hope is they forgo upgrading the run defense and teams can hurt them that way, but that's pretty wishful thinking, TBH.

Revis will probably keep overshadowing the best receiver on opposing teams, meaning Aso will stick to #2's, and there are very few teams that have legit WR corps to challenge these guys.

And it's not as if the rest of the defense sucks, this will really help them. I really, really hope this doesn't go through.

Oh I have no doubt how good this could make the Jets defensively. It would literally be Rex Ryan's wet dream to dial up his exotic blitzes knowing he has Revis and Aso on the back end basically eliminating the opposing teams top 2 WRs.

However they have bad safety depth, bad defensive line depth and two big question marks on their offensive line. Plus, if they dont sign another WR, after Holmes and Keller in the passing game, who is there to worry about? The running game isn't as vaunted as it was two years ago either.

They would surely be one of the favourites for the Superbowl but let's not make it sound like Asomugha now makes this team a mixture of the 80s 49ers, 90s Cowboys, 00s Patriots with the 2000 Ravens defense.

Name one pass rusher on the Jets team who makes opposing offensive linemen worry.

Regardless of the coverage, if they cant rush the passer players will get open. And if you have to send 5, 6, 7 or 8 men blitzes then that leaves more space for WRs, TEs and RBs.

YAYareaRB
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
if Aso goes to the Jets.. I expect a Miami Heat type hate to come over them.

MidwayMonster31
07-27-2011, 05:18 PM
if Aso goes to the Jets.. I expect a Miami Heat type hate to come over them.If Aso has an hour long special about stabbing Raider fans in the heart, have Mark Sanchez talk about how they enjoyed screwing with the fans, and get Rex Ryan to bash the Ravens about the way they do things, it's possible. Otherwise, there are more than enough villains out there (not that the Jets are the good guys or anything).

nobodyinparticular
07-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Who really thinks a combination of Revis + Asomugha immediately makes the Jets the Super Bowl favorite?

Last year, the Raiders had 2 of the top 3 CBs in regard to burn rate. Yeah, Stanford Routt and Nnamdi Asomugha actually tied for completion percentage against with 39.4% on the year. The guy Asomugha would replace, Antonio Cromartie, was just a couple slots below Scrabble/Routt, ranking #5 with 43.9% completion percent against.

Based on the impact Routt and Nnamdi on the Raiders defense--having two of the top three burn rates in the NFL--and the mild difference between Cromartie and Asomugha's burn rate last year, would it really make sense to throw a 4-5 year deal worth $50-65 million at another top flight CB?

As the Raiders have seen over the past 5 years, a shutdown cornerback does not take away half the field and last year Raider fans saw that "two halves" don't make a whole field. Would this tandem be a better tandem than Oakland's last year? Of course. There was a reason Routt was targeted 3 times more often than Scrabble when sharing the field, and it is common knowledge that Revis is far better than Routt as well. Of the top 3 in this category from 2010, a Revis/Asomugha tandem would contain the two very best corners. As it stands, an ranking starts with Revis/Asomugha and then everyone else. However, there are 11 players out there on offense, and the Revis/Asomugha tandem would account for 18% of the opposing team. Even so, in their best years, they succeed at their job (denying passes) only 60-65% of the time.

Maybe the New York Jets will be different, but recent history doesn't necessarily favor a Revis/Asomugha tandem.

Jvig43
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I really hope you didn't just compare the Jets and Raiders as to why we shouldn't expect the jets to be sb contenders.

nobodyinparticular
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I'd rather have Asomugha on my team than Ellis, Edwards, Pool, and Smith, but that might just be me.

An elite CB should certainly beat out those guys.

I absolutely disagree with this sentiment. I don't think it would be THAT catastrophic for opposing offenses if the Jets invest in 2 elite corners.

AntoinCD
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Who really thinks a combination of Revis + Asomugha immediately makes the Jets the Super Bowl favorite?

Last year, the Raiders had 2 of the top 3 CBs in regard to burn rate. Yeah, Stanford Routt and Nnamdi Asomugha actually tied for completion percentage against with 39.4% on the year. The guy Asomugha would replace, Antonio Cromartie, was just a couple slots below Scrabble/Routt, ranking #5 with 43.9% completion percent against.

Based on the impact Routt and Nnamdi on the Raiders defense--having two of the top three burn rates in the NFL--and the mild difference between Cromartie and Asomugha's burn rate last year, would it really make sense to throw a 4-5 year deal worth $50-65 million at another top flight CB?

As the Raiders have seen over the past 5 years, a shutdown cornerback does not take away half the field and last year Raider fans saw that "two halves" don't make a whole field. Would this tandem be a better tandem than Oakland's last year? Of course. There was a reason Routt was targeted 3 times more often than Scrabble when sharing the field, and it is common knowledge that Revis is far better than Routt as well. Of the top 3 in this category from 2010, a Revis/Asomugha tandem would contain the two very best corners. As it stands, an ranking starts with Revis/Asomugha and then everyone else. However, there are 11 players out there on offense, and the Revis/Asomugha tandem would account for 18% of the opposing team. Even so, in their best years, they succeed at their job (denying passes) only 60-65% of the time.

Maybe the New York Jets will be different, but recent history doesn't necessarily favor a Revis/Asomugha tandem.

The major difference difference is the Jets were a better team without Asomugha than the Raiders were with him. Asomugha gives them a lot more options to do things defensively.

However the reason why I would temper expectations for the Jets is from two games last season.

Week 8 against GB: GB 9-0 NYJ-no matter how good a combination Revis and Asomugha are, they can't make opponents score less than 0 points.

Week 13 at NE: NYJ 3-45 NE-this was a demolition job where they were out played in all aspects, offense, defense and special teams. Once again, Revis and Aso wont catch TDs or block for Shonn Greene etc

While they would get more flexibility on defense they are still a flawed team like every other in the NFL.

YAYareaRB
07-27-2011, 05:37 PM
If Aso has an hour long special about stabbing Raider fans in the heart, have Mark Sanchez talk about how they enjoyed screwing with the fans, and get Rex Ryan to bash the Ravens about the way they do things, it's possible. Otherwise, there are more than enough villains out there (not that the Jets are the good guys or anything).

granted the preseason "festivities" did garner a lot of hatred, most of the hate, at that point, were from cleveland cavalier fans.

the reason why the whole world wanted them to lose is because they put together a team that was supposed to win. i think its called human nature or some ****

now which brings me to the jets, who aren't americas team by any stretch of the imagination to begin with. you got a coach who nobody likes outside of the jets organization that is very good at winning ball games and making predictions that never come true. if they actually get Aso, you think Rex is gonna keep his mouth shut? well, that wouldnt be rex.

secondly, you put together a DEFENSE, not a tandem.. but a DEFENSE to win a SB.. people are gonna love to see you lose. especially when you got the golden boys in boston in the same division as you.

that is what i meant.

hockey619
07-27-2011, 05:59 PM
However the reason why I would temper expectations for the Jets is from two games last season.

Week 8 against GB: GB 9-0 NYJ-no matter how good a combination Revis and Asomugha are, they can't make opponents score less than 0 points.

Week 13 at NE: NYJ 3-45 NE-this was a demolition job where they were out played in all aspects, offense, defense and special teams. Once again, Revis and Aso wont catch TDs or block for Shonn Greene etc

While they would get more flexibility on defense they are still a flawed team like every other in the NFL.

This a million times over.

im not a jets fan, but i love good football.
i love the idea of revis and aso together, id love to see what rex could do on defense with that kind of flexibility. i love good defense as well so i think it would be very entertaining all around.

but the reality of it all is that the weakness for the jets these last two years has been on offense, and specifically, the play of sanchez. hes played well in the playoffs to an extent, but not to the point that the team could lean on him or anyone really could be completely confident in him.

with or without aso, the jets d will be very good because rex and company will make sure it is and theyll get the most out of whats there without a doubt.

its the jets O that id be worried about if i were them. having aso would be fun, but getting say jonathan joseph or someone to pair across from revis (i sure as sh** dont trust k.wilson) would be great too, or a complement to holmes would be even better, but most importantly for the jets:

they need to hope that sanchez progresses and really breaks out. really all there is to it. big fan of his coming out, if he can pull the consistency together hed be in much better shape. we'll see.

MidwayMonster31
07-27-2011, 06:03 PM
There are three parts for a football team. The defense and special teams are going to be there for the Jets, but until Mark Sanchez can take that next step, the Jets won't win a super bowl.

Ness
07-27-2011, 06:05 PM
if Aso goes to the Jets.. I expect a Miami Heat type hate to come over them.

From who? Oakland? I don't think so. Asomugha isn't as big as Lebron James is. Not even close. Not to mention Asomugha doesn't go out of his way to label himself as an icon. This is just a business decision and Asomugha comes off as one of the most professional players in the NFL. Not to mention, people actually like him.

YAYareaRB
07-27-2011, 06:07 PM
There are three parts for a football team. The defense and special teams are going to be there for the Jets, but until Mark Sanchez can take that next step, the Jets won't win a super bowl.

this! this this this

hockey619
07-27-2011, 06:08 PM
From who? Oakland? I don't think so. Asomugha isn't as big as Lebron James is. Not even close. Not to mention Asomugha doesn't go out of his way to label himself as an icon. This is just a business decision and Asomugha comes off as one of the most professional players in the NFL. Not to mention, people actually like him.

hearing him talk, he might be one of the brightest guys in the nfl. he sounds like a sharp dude.

while i think people wouldnt be too killed by it, i think ESPN would try to spin it that way because the jets are already rubbing people wrong.

49erNation85
07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Come on 49ers go get this guy already!!

tjsunstein
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Not so sure if it makes sense for the Jets, but there is a lot of pressure on them to make the most out of this team while they have it together. They are so close to the Super Bowl that it has really become a standard for them. Aso may or may not take them there but as far as the fans and media are concerned, it's another step in the right direction that needs to be made. I'm not sold on their offense losing Braylon, and possibly others if they do sign Aso. Mark Sanchez is still Mark Sanchez as far as I'm concerned so I'll take the wait and see approach. Do I think this move is necessary? Absolutely not, it'd be a luxury for the Jets but it will come with a steep price. (Cap wise, sacrificing other pos., and media attention/pressure) It will be the all eyes on them move, as if they needed more focus on them.

In today's game you do need more than one, maybe two good corners. I wouldn't call their defense all world even with this move based on how offenses can attack these days. Who's covering the slot receiver? Coleman? Wilson? On some teams, that slot receiver is Vernon Davis, Aaron Hernandez, Jermichael Finley. I get that you can slide safeties and what not but these corner backs' impact are getting more credit than they should these days. Albeit a great CB necessary to have, it's not necessary to sacrifice other positions on 2 time AFC Championship team.

tjsunstein
07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
The team that should put all their chips in is the Houston Texans.

Complex
07-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh I have no doubt how good this could make the Jets defensively. It would literally be Rex Ryan's wet dream to dial up his exotic blitzes knowing he has Revis and Aso on the back end basically eliminating the opposing teams top 2 WRs.

However they have bad safety depth, bad defensive line depth and two big question marks on their offensive line. Plus, if they dont sign another WR, after Holmes and Keller in the passing game, who is there to worry about? The running game isn't as vaunted as it was two years ago either.

They would surely be one of the favourites for the Superbowl but let's not make it sound like Asomugha now makes this team a mixture of the 80s 49ers, 90s Cowboys, 00s Patriots with the 2000 Ravens defense.

Name one pass rusher on the Jets team who makes opposing offensive linemen worry.

Regardless of the coverage, if they cant rush the passer players will get open. And if you have to send 5, 6, 7 or 8 men blitzes then that leaves more space for WRs, TEs and RBs.

Name one Pass rusher that would worry the opposing O-Line that is currently a FA?

AntoinCD
07-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Name one Pass rusher that would worry the opposing O-Line that is currently a FA?

I wasnt saying the Jets should sign a FA pass rusher. My point was that those who say Aso is worth it and would make them definite Superbowl favourites are premature IMO. They have numerous holes on both sides, way more than CB.

If this was all about making the team better in the long run, why not resign Cromartie and Shaun Ellis on defense and try and get someone like Blalock to play LG instead of Slausen?

I think Aso and Revis are a dream pairing for the media and in Rex Ryan's mind but IMO there are certainly better ways to make the team better

Hurricanes25
07-27-2011, 08:11 PM
I wasnt saying the Jets should sign a FA pass rusher. My point was that those who say Aso is worth it and would make them definite Superbowl favourites are premature IMO. They have numerous holes on both sides, way more than CB.

If this was all about making the team better in the long run, why not resign Cromartie and Shaun Ellis on defense and try and get someone like Blalock to play LG instead of Slausen?

I think Aso and Revis are a dream pairing for the media and in Rex Ryan's mind but IMO there are certainly better ways to make the team better

Shaun Ellis is 34 years old, I'm not sure how that would make us better in the long run. Also, we just drafted Muhammed Wilkerson in the first round.

Plus, the Jets could sign Aso and Sanchez said he and a few others would reconstrcut their contracts. That means the Jets could still bring back Ellis if they want to.

AntoinCD
07-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Shaun Ellis is 34 years old, I'm not sure how that would make us better in the long run. Also, we just drafted Muhammed Wilkerson in the first round.

Plus, the Jets could sign Aso and Sanchez said he and a few others would reconstrcut their contracts. That means the Jets could still bring back Ellis if they want to.

If Ellis got a short deal it means they arent expecting Wilkerson to produce from day one. Also by giving Holmes money and Aso money, in future years it may handicap them from a cap point of view

Hurricanes25
07-27-2011, 08:20 PM
If Ellis got a short deal it means they arent expecting Wilkerson to produce from day one. Also by giving Holmes money and Aso money, in future years it may handicap them from a cap point of view

I think they rather not have Wilkerson starting from day 1 but no way will they pass up an opportunity to get Aso. So if that means Ellis has to go, and Wilkerson has to start, then so be it. If the Jets are able to get Aso, bringing back Ellis would be more of a luxury.

descendency
07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I really wonder if Sanchez takes a pay cut? If I were him, I'd have a hard time saying yes...

edit: If Sanchez doesn't take a paycut, all of this talk is for not. He's not playing for pocket change.

YAYareaRB
07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Niners.....niners....niners...niners..niners. Niners Niners Niners Niners Niners!!!

tjsunstein
07-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Ray Edwards. Never said 3-4 passrusher and if you did, I would argue Cullen Jenkins is a passrusher.

Carry on.

Complex
07-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Ray Edwards. Never said 3-4 passrusher and if you did, I would argue Cullen Jenkins is a passrusher.

Carry on.

Not Ray Edwards fan. He had Jared Allen and the WIlliams Wall taking up the double team and he still could not hit double digit sacks.

Malaka
07-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Lol and he's the same guy who predicted he'd break the sack record a couple of years ago haha.

bucfan12
07-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I really wonder if Sanchez takes a pay cut? If I were him, I'd have a hard time saying yes...

edit: If Sanchez doesn't take a paycut, all of this talk is for not. He's not playing for pocket change.

Why wouldn't he? I mean signing Asomugah would make his job a lot easier because no opposing offense can really throw on the Jets anways if that happens. Their defense would automatically become #1 by a long shot. Aso has given up 53 catches in 3 years and no TDs. Revis is rediculous as well. Those 2 playing on the same team? Good luck.

Ness
07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
The team that should put all their chips in is the Houston Texans.

Seriously. That offense isn't going to be young forever. They need to at least start getting to the playoffs consistently.

Splat
07-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm going to do a happy dance when Aso is for sure out of the AFC West.

hawkeye123
07-27-2011, 10:59 PM
John Clayton:

don't count the 49ers out of the Nnamdi sweepstakes.

I'm assuming it's down to the niners, jets, and texans.

Bengalsrocket
07-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Could be a good duo for the Jets, but if anyone is crafty enough to circumvent the two best cornerbacks in the league, it's the Patriots. I'll jump on the band wagon when they win the division :)

hockey619
07-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Seriously. That offense isn't going to be young forever. They need to at least start getting to the playoffs consistently.

how bout at all?

SickwithIt1010
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM

In a passing league it sets their defense over the top. Sure they could use another pass rusher or someone at another position, but in a league where there are numerous nobodies coming out of nowhere for huge sack numbers....im sure they can find someone.

phlysac
07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
but in a league where there are numerous nobodies coming out of nowhere for huge sack numbers....im sure they can find someone.

Who are these "numerous nobodies?" I know a bunch of teams that could use one.

K Train
07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Who are these "numerous nobodies?" I know a bunch of teams that could use one.

james harrison, cameron wake, charles freaking 72 million dollar johnson, justin tuck, tully banta-cain...they were all nobodies at one point.

phlysac
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
james harrison, cameron wake, charles freaking 72 million dollar johnson, justin tuck, tully banta-cain...they were all nobodies at one point.

You could say the same about the likes of Asante Samuel, Tramon Williams, Ike Taylor, Cortland Finnegan, Jabari Greer, etc.

SickwithIt1010
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Wake and Harrison were the 2 I was going to name right off the top of my head...

Nalej
07-28-2011, 09:57 AM
TBC was always a nobody

SickwithIt1010
07-28-2011, 09:57 AM
You could say the same about the likes of Asante Samuel, Tramon Williams, Ike Taylor, Cortland Finnegan, Jabari Greer, etc.

So why dont you? There are always guys that come out of nowhere to be one of the top at their position.

K Train
07-28-2011, 09:58 AM
TBC was always a nobody

well yeah, i wanted another name lol...he blew up one year, got paid, went back to being a nobody and continued that

K Train
07-28-2011, 10:04 AM
oh adailus thomas was a nobody too

phlysac
07-28-2011, 10:04 AM
So why dont you? There are always guys that come out of nowhere to be one of the top at their position.

I don't disagree. My point is that an "out-of-nowhere" CB is just as valuable as an "out-of-nowhere" sack artist. Therefore ignoring pass rusher needs to sign a CB is no different than addressing a pass rusher need in hopes of finding an out-of-nowhere CB.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Very relevant: M Mike Tannenbaum's creativity on display. #Jets Santonio Holmes will only count $2.45M against 2011 cap. $1M base salary, per source. #nyj

SickwithIt1010
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't disagree. My point is that an "out-of-nowhere" CB is just as valuable as an "out-of-nowhere" sack artist. Therefore ignoring pass rusher needs to sign a CB is no different than addressing a pass rusher need in hopes of finding an out-of-nowhere CB.

Why sign a nobody corner when you can have the best in the league...paired up with the 2nd best?

phlysac
07-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Why sign a nobody corner when you can have the best in the league...paired up with the 2nd best?

That was never my point. My post was in question to you saying that they can find a "nobody" to rush the passer. I feel that they can just as easily find a "nobody" corner. I never meant to argue the option of Asomugha and for that I believe we agree.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2011, 10:20 AM
It is much, much easier to get a good pass-rusher out of a nobody than a good CB.

CB's can look really good if they have a good pass-rush, and pass-rushers can look really good if they have good CB's.

I think the Packers are a clear example of this, in both cases. Woodson and Williams made it hard to pass against them, while Matthews and Raji and co. made it very hard for QB's to readjust and extend plays.

In the case of NYJ, Revis and Aso would be what could very well be the best pair of CB's in the last decade, if not more. Having those two guys will make Calvin Pace and co.'s life easier. I agree that they need a better pass-rusher, but I don't understand why some people are insinuating the team will not be better with Aso, or that the defense won't improve.

Plus, knowing Rex Ryan's aggressiveness, he'll probably wind up trading for a good pass-rusher, or trading up for one next year.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Hearing Houston has moved into the lead for Nnamdi Asomugha—money will be in the 12-14 mill per year range...Revis makes 11.5 per year

phlysac
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
minor update...

Michael Lombardi

Hearing Houston has moved into the lead for Nnamdi Asomugha—money will be in the 12-14 mill per year range...Revis makes 11.5 per year
http://twitter.com/#!/michaelombardi

phlysac
07-28-2011, 01:54 PM
49ers Beat writer Matt Barrows trying to clear up some rumor...

Matt Barrows

To be clear: The 49ers showed interest in free agent CBs Joseph, Carr, etc. when FA started. That is, their interest is not necessarily a sign they've fallen out of the Nnamdi Asomugha hunt.
http://twitter.com/#!/mattbarrows

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Would the Jets dare pay Aso more than Revis?

K Train
07-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Would the Jets dare pay Aso more than Revis?

would be HILARIOUS if they did, theres no way revis would stand for that. i feel pretty confident in saying that

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 03:20 PM
LT's contract is also being restructured, partly because he's making way too much off his name but this could tie into the Aso stakes.

descendency
07-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Why wouldn't he? I mean signing Asomugah would make his job a lot easier because no opposing offense can really throw on the Jets anways if that happens. Their defense would automatically become #1 by a long shot. Aso has given up 53 catches in 3 years and no TDs. Revis is rediculous as well. Those 2 playing on the same team? Good luck.

Why wouldn't Peyton Manning take the vet minimum to load his team with talent? It's his money. The Jets are not going to cut him. Personally, I think it's a quite personal decision for him to make and assuming he is going to is dumb.

I don't think the Jets should bet on their QB taking a cut, especially one they just made their captain (even though, he shows so little in the way of leadership).

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here. Signing Aso would mean sacrificing Shaun Ellis, right? How good can two elite cornerbacks be without a pass rush in front of them. Sure, I know they have Scott and Harris but someone has to cover the middle of the field. Rex Ryan is a defensive mind, right? They were a terrible half away from the Super Bowl. I think this move is really unnecessary for the Jets. They may lose more than they gain.

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 03:56 PM
With a hypothetical 4-year, $52M deal for Nnamdi, he'd pay $3M less in tax by signing w/Texans over Jets (accountant Robert Raiola)

$19.6M in taxes w/Texans, $22.6M in taxes w/Jets & $23.1M in taxes w/49ers

descendency
07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Aso would get 3 million more by signing with Texans, plus 2-3 more a year.

So, can you turn down 15 million to play with the Texans over the Jets. Can you turn this down?

phlysac
07-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Aso would get 3 million more by signing with Texans, plus 2-3 more a year.

So, can you turn down 15 million to play with the Texans over the Jets. Can you turn this down?

Or he could get $15 million from the 49ers and save $3 million buying a new house. :)

Nalej
07-28-2011, 06:40 PM
has he signed with Houston already? Or any other non-Jet team?
That would definitely be a nice way to end the day for the Pats

gpngc
07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here. Signing Aso would mean sacrificing Shaun Ellis, right? How good can two elite cornerbacks be without a pass rush in front of them. Sure, I know they have Scott and Harris but someone has to cover the middle of the field. Rex Ryan is a defensive mind, right? They were a terrible half away from the Super Bowl. I think this move is really unnecessary for the Jets. They may lose more than they gain.

Not necessarily. There are tricks to save cap room and still sign guys and Tannenbaum is one of the best in the business. And Ellis may be more inclined to sign for a little less if it meant he could play with Nnamdi + Revis. Plus, I'm not sure there's much of a market for Ellis, or that he wants to leave where he's played his entire career in his 12th season or whatever it is.

Ness
07-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Come on Nnamdi do you really want to go to the Jets? It's much too cold there in the winter time.

Donno
07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Would someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't his last contract with Oakland 3 years $45 million? If so I'm surprised hes not getting more

Splat
07-28-2011, 07:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/jets-want-an-answer-from-nnamdi/

As Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News tells it, the Jets are
getting antsy. “We’re trying to get an answer out of him, one way or the
other (http://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream/status/96689918365007872),” an unnamed source told Mehta.

In other words make up your dam mind all ready.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
HOU out. Jonathan Joseph just signed with them.

JEEEEEEEEEEEETTS?

gpngc
07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Everyone saying the Jets are in the driver's seat. So much for that being a pipe dream...

phlysac
07-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Everyone saying the Jets are in the driver's seat. So much for that being a pipe dream...

Everyone said the Texans were in the driver's seat a half hour ago. I don't think these "experts" know any more than we do. They just hear before we do.

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Hard not to like the Jets to get him now.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 08:27 PM
It's gonna be Tampa.

They'll make a historic offer to get to the floor. And Jets might seriously be wary of upsetting Revis' ego after the debacle last offseason. Would be pathetic.

Deal with TB could be HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Like QB big.

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 08:33 PM
It's gonna be Tampa.

They'll make a historic offer to get to the floor. And Jets might seriously be wary of upsetting Revis' ego after the debacle last offseason. Would be pathetic.

Deal with TB could be HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Like QB big.

I'm hearing Tampa made a huge offer that the Jets simply cannot match, which was reported on footballsfuture.com forum. However, the 49ers have the space to match as well.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm hearing Tampa made a huge offer that the Jets simply cannot match, which was reported on footballsfuture.com forum. However, the 49ers have the space to match as well.

But one would think TB has the upper hand because:

1) East coast is where he wants to go.

2) Wants to play for a contender.

At this point, TB is better off than SF. Question is, can Raheem convince him TB can contend/does he just follow the money.

phlysac
07-28-2011, 08:41 PM

I'm still waiting for a link that shows that Nnamdi, himself said these things. Does it exist or is it just media-assumption?

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Warren Sapp doesn't think Nnamdi will be a Buc :'(

http://twitter.com/#!/QBKILLA/status/96746402394279936

TB Is OUT!! RT @JasonLaCanfora: In the Nnamdi/Cromartie sweepstakes, some have mentioned TB and DAL, but people I'm talkin to there don't think they'll land either

AHungryWalrus
07-28-2011, 08:46 PM

I hope he's right, but Sapp doesn't know anything.

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 08:46 PM
But one would think TB has the upper hand because:

At this point, TB is better off than SF. Question is, can Raheem convince him TB can contend/does he just follow the money.

I'm pretty sure he can convince him that Tampa is a contender. I mean, playing accross the field from Talib (atleast for the 2011 season) would make Tampa's CB duo lethal with a smothering cover CB on one side and a ball hawk on the other. Add in Tanard Jackson, a ball hawking FS (when he comes back and he will be back) and that secondary is lethal. Go along with Tampa's improving and talented D-line, I say they are a contender with a good defense.

Don't forget about their offense and QB Josh Freeman as well.

Plus, I believe there is no state income tax in Florida?

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 08:47 PM

How is TB out if Sapp doesn't think he'll be a buc?

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Because the Jets just signed him ...

BREAKING NEWS: Jets, Asomugha have agreed sources say. 6 yr deal, details being ironed out but framework HAS been agreed to

AHungryWalrus
07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Link Dear God Link

gpngc
07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Because the Jets just signed him ...

Who's twitter is that or am I somehow on a delay wtf.

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Going to need a link or some kind of source.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 08:55 PM
For some reason he deleted the tweet, not a legit source!

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 08:56 PM
For some reason he deleted the tweet, not a legit source!

Good. I hope the JEts don't sign him. Come on.

msolimani
07-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Good. I hope the JEts don't sign him. Come on.

You can hope all you want but it's gonna happen

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 09:05 PM

And then I hope they fail miserably because they still don't have an offense or pass rush.

msolimani
07-28-2011, 09:15 PM
And then I hope they fail miserably because they still don't have an offense or pass rush.

That's cool man

phlysac
07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
The Charlie Burkowitz tweet is still there. He is saying now that he is protecting his sources.

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 09:32 PM
The Charlie Burkowitz tweet is still there. He is saying now that he is protecting his sources.

When Aso signs, every SPORTS site will be all over that with BREAKING NEWS FLASHING across the web site or TV screen.

Still haven't seen it so it's not confirmed.

phlysac
07-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Completely agree. I was just doing a followup of when it was said the tweet had been deleted.

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Completely agree. I was just doing a followup of when it was said the tweet had been deleted.

I still am trying to figure out how the Jets are going to pay big money to Sanchez, Holmes, Bart Scott, Revis, David Harris and Nnamdi Asomugah and not suffer financially. I;m pretty sure Mangold and Brickshaw Ferguson are up there in salary too.

SickwithIt1010
07-28-2011, 09:52 PM

They will be just fine. They are a young team who has gone to the AFC championship 2 years in a row and are still maturing, and with a signing of Aso...they just got that much better.

stop hating.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Bob said it this time, and he is as legit as it gets...

http://twitter.com/#!/incarceratedbob

**BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: NY JETS have come to an agreement in "principle" with Nnamdi Asomugha (He left big money on the table)

phlysac
07-28-2011, 10:03 PM

It seems likely but he also said Harbaugh would coach the Dolphins.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Why do we trust Bob? I researched him, and I'm a NY guy, so naturally I'm very confused right now. Also heard he was wrong about Braylon being cut last year or something... how the hell does a WFAN caller have better sources than the big guys? WTF?

Jimmy
07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
aso is a jet.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Why do we trust Bob? I researched him, and I'm a NY guy, so naturally I'm very confused right now. Also heard he was wrong about Braylon being cut last year or something... how the hell does a WFAN caller have better sources than the big guys? WTF?

In Bob i trust, plus he broke VY to the Eagles 20 hrs before it happened.
http://twitter.com/#!/incarceratedbob/status/96298543182118912

hawkeye123
07-28-2011, 10:10 PM
In Bob i trust, plus he broke VY to the Eagles 20 hrs before it happened.
http://twitter.com/#!/incarceratedbob/status/96298543182118912

Lucky guess..

No way this is offical yet.

Pat Sims 90
07-28-2011, 10:11 PM
I am think Bob just takes shots in the dark and if he is right he broke it before everyone else. If he is wrong so what.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Chris Steuber and JBond retweeted him. Otherwise, no insider is on it. Feels like the wildfire is being spread by this site... interesting...

Da-Phins
07-28-2011, 10:15 PM

lol that idiot also said about a month ago that Dwight Howard was gonna get traded to the Lakers within the next 48 hours.....1 month later.....

That dude really is full of **** and I would take anything he said with a grain of salt. I will believe it when I see it.

hawkeye123
07-28-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty sure this was the guy who said Harbaugh agreed to coach the Dolphins and all the local radio stations thought it was legit, and then a few hours later he was with the 49ers.

Still probably the Jets but i doubt we find out for sure till tomorrow.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 10:19 PM
LOL, yeah. Guess gotta just wait and see.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 10:20 PM
PFT just Re-tweeted somone who said bob was a fraud. lol this is nuts.

Splat
07-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I hate twitter so much.

Basileus777
07-28-2011, 10:25 PM
I hate twitter so much.
Twitter has changed the entire nature of how news breaks, but sometimes you get people throwing **** at the wall and claiming credibility, which is what seems to be the case here.

AHungryWalrus
07-28-2011, 10:25 PM
I hate twitter so much.

Seconded..

Raiderz4Life
07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I hate twitter so much.

I 3rd this notion.

yo123
07-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Clayton is saying there is no deal but talks are heating up.

And twitter is awesome. Don't follow morons it's as easy as that.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 10:28 PM

Yea we just shouldn't be so naive to think some idiot is going to get the story before a legit local beat writer or a big-named source like Schefter or LaConfora.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 10:29 PM

John Clayton? What's his Twitter by the way? Can't find him!

Splat
07-28-2011, 10:30 PM
I will NEVER join Twitter never never never...

Da-Phins
07-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Here ya go bro

http://twitter.com/#!/ClaytonESPN

yo123
07-28-2011, 10:31 PM

ClaytonESPN

fenikz
07-28-2011, 10:33 PM
I will NEVER join Twitter never never never...

that's like saying you will never use Google, if it get you the information you want the fastest you use it

gpngc
07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Peter King and PFT have said the Bucs are NOT chasing Nnamdi. LOL.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 10:37 PM

...But John Clayton said this...

among teams in on nnamdi _ Jets, Bucs, 49ers and others.

phlysac
07-28-2011, 10:38 PM

First reported by Warren Sapp hahahaha

Like I've said. Noone outside of Nnamdi's "people" and the teams he is in discussion with know what's going on. Everyone is guessing until it's a done deal.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 10:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/bucs-arent-werent-chasing-nnamdi/

Donno
07-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Dont watch NFL network's where will Nnamdi end up video, all Sapp and Faulk discuss is why he not a good fit in NY. I think their idiots but Im probably the bigger goon for watching it.

phlysac
07-28-2011, 10:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/bucs-arent-werent-chasing-nnamdi/

Ehhhhhhh. I get what he's saying but 49ers GM Trent Baalke said he would build through the draft and not make a big splash in FA as well.

It's all philosophy, not necessarily true on a cas-by-case basis.

When you have dozens of millions to spend to get to the cap and an all-time elite player is available, you make exceptions to your philosophy.

phlysac
07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Schefter says no decision tonight for Asomugha.

Thank you Adam (even if you're wrong) Goodnight, all.

Raiderz4Life
07-28-2011, 11:04 PM
AAALLLL you senile old bastard!!! Offer the man w.e. he wants already!!!

TheFinisher
07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/nnamdi-watch-could-go-deep-into-the-night/

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork reports that the Jets are “still hammering away” at the negotiations, and that it “could turn into a Favre-like vigil, ending in wee hours.”

So brew the coffee and get ready to dump some whiskey into it. We could be here a while.

The Bucs, contrary to reports to the contrary, aren’t in this one. The Jets are. It’s believed that the 49ers are. There’s talk the Cowboys could be. And we can’t rule out the Raiders, where he has played for eight years.

Stay tuned and keep your F5 finger from cramping.

Splat
07-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Dont watch NFL network's where will Nnamdi end up video, all Sapp and Faulk discuss is why he not a good fit in NY. I think their idiots but Im probably the bigger goon for watching it.

Sapp isn't a good fit for NFLN.

hawkeye123
07-28-2011, 11:32 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65757071@N03/5986803324/

LOL

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65757071@N03/5986803324/

LOL

HAHAHAAAhahah

bucfan12
07-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Clayton still insists the Bucs are right in the mix along with the Jets and 49ers.

Right now, I don't know what to believe.

Legacy
07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Clayton still insists the Bucs are right in the mix along with the Jets and 49ers.

Right now, I don't know what to believe.
Let's see there:

- Peter King is a notorious hater of the Buccaneers (and the Tampa Bay area in general).

- I'm convinced that the guys who run PFT are Bucs haters as well, given that they routinely screw up information regarding the team.

I'm going to believe Clayton until proven otherwise, even if I don't think that Nnamdi is a great fit for the Buccaneers (even if he would eat up a lot of the cap space we're required to use).

bucfan12
07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Let's see there:

- Peter King is a notorious hater of the Buccaneers (and the Tampa Bay area in general).

- I'm convinced that the guys who run PFT are Bucs haters as well, given that they routinely screw up information regarding the team.

I'm going to believe Clayton until proven otherwise, even if I don't think that Nnamdi is a great fit for the Buccaneers (even if he would eat up a lot of the cap space we're required to use).

I'd rather use that cap space on a guy like Aso then give a Punter 19.5 million and 6 mil guranteed. OH WAIT, WE JUST DID THAT!

AHungryWalrus
07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
NFL.com says he is down to Jets and Cowboys, but provides no evidence... what?

Mr. Goosemahn
07-29-2011, 10:27 AM
As much as I hate to say it, just sign with the Jets already, Nnamdi.

We all know you want to go there.

YAYareaRB
07-29-2011, 10:28 AM
NFL.com says he is down to Jets and Cowboys, but provides no evidence... what?

lombardi says the same.. hmmm wonder why the 9ers bowed out??? joseph already signed with the texans we're just shooting ourselves in the foot. dumb *******

phlysac
07-29-2011, 10:41 AM
lombardi says the same.. hmmm wonder why the 9ers bowed out??? joseph already signed with the texans we're just shooting ourselves in the foot. dumb *******

Nah. We were 24th in pass defense last year. I think that allowing the best 2 of the 4 starters walk and replacing them with their backups is a brilliant idea.

*takes one step closer to ledge*

gpngc
07-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Adam Schefter put up a pie chart for the kindergarteners who watch Sportscenter.

80% NYJ
10% DAL
10% Any other team

Jets cut some vets this morning, probably to make room. No deal is imminent... yet.

V.I.P
07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Nnamdi still hasn't picked a team? You make me sick!

gpngc
07-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Nnamdi still hasn't picked a team? You make me sick!

It's an extremely tough life decision. If you had to make the biggest decision of your life (potentially leaving MILLIONS on the table, move your family across the country, etc.), you'd want more than two or three days. Completely understandable.

K Train
07-29-2011, 11:37 AM
i actually dont think the decision is that hard...he can pretty much go wherever he wants, hes made more than enough money to live off of already and is poised to be the highest or second highest paid CB in the league for the next 4-6 years...i kinda thought hed be a day one signing

Splat
07-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Adam Schefter put up a pie chart for the kindergarteners who watch Sportscenter.

80% NYJ
10% DAL
10% Any other team

"Why don't you explain this to me like I'm five.' ~ Michael Scott

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Really hoping Jerry pulls through here. I see the stars aligning!

I'm ready to cut Newman.

tjsunstein
07-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Let's go Jerry Jones! I'd rather have him in the NFC with the Packers than the Jets.

Splat
07-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Pick a dam team all ready.

bucfan12
07-29-2011, 01:52 PM
I think he might reunite with Rob Ryan, thats why the Cowboys suddenly jumped into the mix. However, how are they going to afford him? I mean didn't they just clear cap to get under then spend 8 and 3 million immediately on Free and Kosier?

K Train
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I think he might reunite with Rob Ryan, thats why the Cowboys suddenly jumped into the mix. However, how are they going to afford him? I mean didn't they just clear cap to get under then spend 8 and 3 million immediately on Free and Kosier?

the cap always has and always will be a joke. theres ways to do it.

and the cowboys do it masterfully btw

descendency
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Tampa should give him a 3 year 60 million dollar deal to help their cap situation.

V.I.P
07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Really hoping Jerry pulls through here. I see the stars aligning!

I'm ready to cut Newman.

Why, isn't Newman like 97 speed on Madden?

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Why, isn't Newman like 97 speed on Madden?
That's true! Maybe we can play him at WR... hmm....

YAYareaRB
07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
niners shoulda threw the bank at him. but, i guess we're gonna try get a winning season with the same ******* players.. we haven't tried that before. oh wait

GoRavens
07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Dallas is definitely in the running, big time.
Jerry Jones is the msot notorius businessman in the NFL and there's no way he's going to let Nmadi slip through his hands.
Dallas has the $$ and a bunch of players have already agreed to pay cuts if #21 joins the team.
It's a crazy decision to make, if moneys not the deciding factor it has to be the coach/scheme/best team & you gotta think he'd choose the Jets over Dallas

Ness
07-29-2011, 02:31 PM
niners shoulda threw the bank at him. but, i guess we're gonna try get a winning season with the same ******* players.. we haven't tried that before. oh wait

We should at least get someone like Richard Marshall. At this point I'd rather have Clements back if we're going to start Spencer and Brown opening day. All in all it doesn't matter that much because we still don't have a quarterback unless Harbaugh works some magic and breaks Alex Smith's career back from the dead. Or Kapernick is some amazing rookie waiting in the wings.

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Dallas is definitely in the running, big time.
Jerry Jones is the msot notorius businessman in the NFL and there's no way he's going to let Nmadi slip through his hands.
Dallas has the $$ and a bunch of players have already agreed to pay cuts if #21 joins the team.
It's a crazy decision to make, if moneys not the deciding factor it has to be the coach/scheme/best team & you gotta think he'd choose the Jets over Dallas
Who said they are restructuring?

msolimani
07-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Michael Lombardi

"I am told that the Jets have redone the contracts of B Scott, LT, C Pace, Brandone Moore as well as Brunnell to set the stage for Asomugha."

http://twitter.com/#!/michaelombardi/status/97029301207175169

thule
07-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Dallas can free up 18 million by restructuring Romo/Austin/Witten. That said I don't think you'll see that happen until Aug 4th if they don't sign aso.

gpngc
07-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Adam Schefter thinks a mystery team is "laying in the weeds."

Marcus Spears signed with DAL + Jets re-do four contracts = Aso to Jets? Not so fast.

"I don't think it's as simple as just the Jets and Cowboys being in play."
-Schefter

K Train
07-29-2011, 03:06 PM
i want nnamdi to mind **** us all

descendency
07-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Adam Schefter thinks a mystery team is "laying in the weeds."

Marcus Spears signed with DAL + Jets re-do four contracts = Aso to Jets? Not so fast.

"I don't think it's as simple as just the Jets and Cowboys being in play."
-Schefter

The Patriots just dumped a bunch of contracts. . .

If they got Aso, I'd be the ultimate finger to the Jets. That said, I think the Jets are likely about to sign him.

A Perfect Score
07-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Nnamdi to Baltimore! COME ON OZZIE!

tjsunstein
07-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Nnamdi going back to Oakland or a mysterious team would be the tits.

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Dallas is out of it. They just blew their load on Marcus "F'n Weak Ass" Spears.

PoopSandwich
07-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the Browns are Nmandi away from the super bowl.

**** I FAIL AT TROLLING

thule
07-29-2011, 03:41 PM

They can still clear 18m in room...money in the short-term will not be the reason that Dallas doesn't land him for 2011.

Either the reports are wrong and we aren't targetting him or he felt he had a better chance to win elsewhere. We'd actually save another 7m or so by cutting Newman...but we'd eat 4m of cap room next year and we already have like 22m in dead money for 2012. I'd say that is the biggest reason for not having interest in Aso.

K Train
07-29-2011, 03:42 PM

im hearing they restructured ware, romo, and austin...and that even before the spears signing they didnt really need to restructure anyone to sign him.

they are masters of the cap in dallas, i think they are still very much alive

thule
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
im hearing they restructured ware, romo, and austin...and that even before the spears signing they didnt really need to restructure anyone to sign him.

You are hearing wrong. If they restructed their deals they would not have been able to take the field for TC today and would be forced to wait until Aug 4th like Kolb.

prock
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM
How bout this? BOOM Nmandi to the Vikings!

A Perfect Score
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
How bout this? BOOM Nmandi to the Vikings!

Nobody wants to come play for your crappy team! BALTIMORE!

Jvig43
07-29-2011, 03:47 PM
NEW ENGLAND ZOMGZ.

But seriously we all know it's going to be the Jets, he just needs to ******* make it public already.

prock
07-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Nobody wants to come play for your crappy team! BALTIMORE!

Won't be so crappy once we draft a franchise LT and Christian Ponder blows up the league!

A Perfect Score
07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Won't be so crappy once we draft a franchise LT and Christian Ponder blows up the league!

I actually like Ponder and had him as a first rounder, so Im not going to chirp him now. I just making fun of your stupid Vikings cause I know you love them so much! THEY SUCK!

K Train
07-29-2011, 03:49 PM
if hes a jet i hope he gets more than revis.

if hes a jet i hope its the most expensive failed experiment in the history of the sport, unfortunatley haynesworth might take that one until further notice

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 03:52 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. *Deep breath* AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....

Thank you for that K Train. I needed it. :D

K Train
07-29-2011, 03:56 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. *Deep breath* AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....

Thank you for that K Train. I needed it. :D

the cap is and always will be a joke...its good to have but theres so many ways around it. dallas has always been financially saavy enough to get their guys and get under the cap...am i wrong? lol

lot of teams out there far more worse off at cap management than dallas

Ness
07-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes the salary cap seems like just a scapegoat for the public's eye. Whenever people have mock drafts and say that the team with the number one pick might trade down because the first player is taken I usually roll my eyes. When is the last time that this actually happened? A team with the first pick deciding to trade down because the top player on the board was labeled as "too expensive"?

TheFinisher
07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
toddarcher: A fist bump between Jerry n Stephen Jones. Oh the drama [via Twitter

nickeatman Nick Eatman
After jerry's long phone call that included rob ryan talking to someone - believed to be an agent - Jerry just gave a fist bump to Stephen.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

lots of daps going around in Dallas....

gpngc
07-29-2011, 04:38 PM
^Insanity. The twitter era...

Ness
07-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Asomugha in Dallas. I can already see a pick six against us in the second game of the season. Ugh.

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 04:51 PM
lots of daps going around in Dallas....
They are rejoicing over resigning Marcus Spears. Nothing more.

gpngc
07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Albert Breer just said the Jets are OUT of the Nnamdi sweepstakes.

LOL THE TWISTS!

Hurricanes25
07-29-2011, 04:54 PM
NFLN says the Jets are out of the Aso sweepstakes.

Da-Phins
07-29-2011, 04:55 PM

AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Filed to NFLN: Per a league source, the Jets, for now, are out of the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes

Opps......

gpngc
Looks like Dallas. Jets just re-structured for what reason? lol. Maybe Schefter was right and some MYSTERY team will pop up. LOL

TheFinisher
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Filed to NFLN: Per a league source, the Jets, for now, are out of the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.

WELCOME TO DALLAS!

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
rather him go to Dallas than NY

gpngc
07-29-2011, 04:57 PM
This is ******* insane. It's possible Jets are just saying that as a "threat" negotiating ploy. WOW.

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
WELCOME TO DALLAS!
I'm dreaming.... Someone tell me I'm dreaming!!!

Jamaal-Football
07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
dallasdallasdallasdallas zomgzzz

c'mon aso, come here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basileus777
07-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Looks like Dallas. Jets just re-structured for what reason? lol. Maybe Schefter was right and some MYSTERY team will pop up. LOL
The restructuring may have been conditional on signing Aso.

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 04:59 PM
1,000,0000 rep points to the first person to report Aso signs with Dallas and provides a legit source. lol

Iamcanadian
07-29-2011, 05:01 PM
dallasdallasdallasdallas zomgzzz

c'mon aso, come here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dallas wants Joseph so ASO won't be going there. I suspect some of the teams that have a huge cap amount to spend will sign him, since they are now forced to spend a lot more money under the new CBA than they did in the past.

yo123
07-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Dallas wants Joseph so ASO won't be going there. I suspect some of the teams that have a huge cap amount to spend will sign him, since they are now forced to spend a lot more money under the new CBA than they did in the past.

Joseph signed with the Texans.

Hurricanes25
07-29-2011, 05:02 PM

You're a little late. Joseph is a Houston Texan.

WMD
07-29-2011, 05:07 PM
maybe Aso will sign with the Lions for the money we would've offered Joseph.

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
103.3 ESPN Dallas - Clarence Hill says Cowboys are NOT in the sweepstakes.

Complex
Jerry Jones is fist pumping. - Mike Lamboradi

yo123
So who the **** is in the sweepstakes? This is confusing.

Tampa? San Fran?

Splat
Nobody wants him.

BloodBrother
07-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Well well well things just got interesting

Jamaal-Football
Yeah all this twitter ******** is pissing me off. Half of those assholes know nothing about what's going on.

ATLDirtyBirds
I mean ****, I'll take him.

YAYareaRB
07-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah all this twitter ******** is pissing me off. Half of those assholes know nothing about what's going on.

we all need to go and follow the guru...Emmitt Smith. he knows all

Hines
Dallas is out for him too.

Complex
Jets out, Cowboys out on Nnamdi. Any one got any guesses?
-Adam Schefter

CashmoneyDrew
07-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Cowboys out of the Nnamdi sweepstakes according to Schefter.

Super ninja'd.

Basileus777
I kind of expect him to stay in Oakland now.

hawkeye123
Oh ****.

Bucs? 49ers? I have feeling the Raiders

RaiderNation
Al Davis tricked us all

J-Mike88
07-29-2011, 05:13 PM
*SLEEPER TEAM*

Who could it be?

-Tampa Bay?
-Green Bay?
-Minnesota?
-San Fran?
-New England?

Who could come outta nowhere and scoop up the lockdown cover?

The Packers really don't need the guy with Woodson, Tramon, Shields......and it goes against everything that the Packers GM does.

Jamaal-Football
lolwut

fml

YAYareaRB
i want nnamdi to mind **** us all

nnamdi is that you?

D-Unit
Nobody is getting a million rep points. LOL.