PDA

View Full Version : Bears trade Greg Olsen to Panthers

Shane P. Hallam
07-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Good job Drew Rosenhaus!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-spt-olsen-trade,0,6066462.story

AntoinCD
07-28-2011, 12:26 AM
I definitely think he was at least given a luke warm message from the Bears about the possibility of them trading him.

If I was Carolina I would give up a 3rd for him. Got to surround Cam Newton with weapons and Olsen would be a great safety valve at TE for them.

A Perfect Score
07-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Hell, I'd be stoked if Baltimore gave up a second for him. I love me some Greg Olsen.

Shane P. Hallam
07-28-2011, 12:38 AM
I definitely think he was at least given a luke warm message from the Bears about the possibility of them trading him.

If I was Carolina I would give up a 3rd for him. Got to surround Cam Newton with weapons and Olsen would be a great safety valve at TE for them.

After signing Shockey, doubt that would happen.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
07-28-2011, 12:46 AM
We've heard this before but this one seems tastier. Oakland possibly losing Miller is the first team I felt would be dumb enough to slaughter in a trade.

Sexier.

FUNBUNCHER
07-28-2011, 03:43 AM
It would be beyond stupid for the Bears to trade Olsen. He's one of the most physically gifted TEs in the game and really could play some WR if needed.

Lovie, don't listen to Martz. The Bears NEED Greg Olsen. Don't overrate the Bears WR corps.

Jay Cutler has to be hating life!!!

BlindSite
07-28-2011, 04:08 AM
It would be beyond stupid for the Bears to trade Olsen. He's one of the most physically gifted TEs in the game and really could play some WR if needed.

Lovie, don't listen to Martz. The Bears NEED Greg Olsen. Don't overrate the Bears WR corps.

He's not much use if he can't get a play to run a route, they should be vying for Ocho or gone out harder in the sweepstakes for Holmes, Edwards or Rice.

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Get him out of the NFC North please and thank you.

hockey619
07-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Good job Drew Rosenhaus!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-spt-olsen-trade,0,6066462.story

what an enormous mistake this would be for the bears.

olson is their biggest recieving target, hes reliable and is overall a good tight end. losing him means they have no big target for cutler to throw to. I dont think hed appreciate that, and i think the offense would take a big step backwards without that threat working the middle of the field.

maybe theyre going after braylon edwards, but i still think they should be keeping olsen.

SolidGold
07-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Martz is whacked out of his gourd to not what to keep Olsen around...but when you think about it he has never used TEs in his offenses.

I would be interested to see where Olson ends up, if they could get some o-line help and or a 2nd-3rd round draft pick I think it would be worth it.

Who do you think potential suitors would be? Atlanta? Baltimore?

ATLDirtyBirds
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
I'd love to grab him, but it's unrealistic. Already being down our first round pick, and being set for this year with Gonzo probably takes us out. Next year we'd be all over TE possibilities, I'd imagine.

SolidGold
07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Miami just came to mind as well. I think they have been wanting a more dynamic presence at TE too.

Don Vito
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
He will be a Raven with Heap out. I know they drafted Dickson and Pitta but Olsen is a great fit and he went to Miami.

stephenson86
07-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Tennessee could go after him, we need a traditional TE I reckon.

descendency
07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
The Patriots nearly had a deal for him before drafting Rob Gronkowski... so I think either he wants out of Chicago or they want him out.

bigbluedefense
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
So the one passing threat on the team that isn't mediocre is getting traded?

Alrighty then.

This is why the Packers have owned the division for years.

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 01:23 PM
So the one passing threat on the team that isn't mediocre is getting traded?

Alrighty then.

This is why the Packers have owned the division for years.
Not entirely, but sure.

Why not tweak your offense just a tad to incorporate him more? It's not like they have too many weapons. I don't get the whole scenario unless it's Olsen who initiated them, then I fully understand.

GaMeTiMe
07-28-2011, 01:43 PM
He's not going anywhere. The only logical destination at this point is Carolina, but even that is so logical because they really need to stop spending money. The defense will undoubtedly falter before the offense is able to run full speed under Newton (which I believe is actually never). I just don't see why they had to bring back pretty much all of their free agents on the defensive side of the ball. While they're going to let Richard Marshall walk leaving them without a true outside corner across from Gamble, they re-signed Thomas Davis, James Anderson, Charles Johnson and DeAngelo Williams with Dan Connor/Greg Hardy/Eric Norwood/Jonathan Stewart/Mike Goodson all playing behind those guys. Now they plan on keeping Steve Smith and his $14.75m over the next 2-years on the books.

Sort of off topic there, but there's really nothing to see here. I don't think Chicago moves Olsen at all.

iowatreat54
07-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Not entirely, but sure.

Why not tweak your offense just a tad to incorporate him more? It's not like they have too many weapons. I don't get the whole scenario unless it's Olsen who initiated them, then I fully understand.

This also coming from the front office that has supposedly said they are happy with the current WRs and OL on roster and don't see the need to sign/acquire any at this time.

This coming from the OC that would probably rather have Todd Collins starting because he's familiar with his system.

Best receiving target on the team? Yep. Oh, but he plays TE, so he's obviously worthless and we shouldn't use him.

FU Mike Martz. F. U.

GoRavens
07-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Greg Olsen is a fantasic receiving threat for a TE, I assume a dozen teams have already contacted him. I'd love him in Baltimore, but I doubt it.

cvv84
07-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Traded to Carolina for a player and a pick. (not Steve Smith)

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
07-28-2011, 05:10 PM
To Carolina ror player and pick.

Not Steve Smith tho :(

AntoinCD
07-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Great move by Carolina IMO. Makes a lot of sense

PackerLegend
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
They should trade him to the Cardinals. I bet they could get a 1st and Larry Fitzgerald. Olsen would prolly also get like 80 million 40 guaranteed.

Jvig43
07-28-2011, 05:20 PM
They should trade him to the Cardinals. I bet they could get a 1st and Larry Fitzgerald. Olsen would prolly also get like 80 million 40 guaranteed.

um come again?

PackerLegend
07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
um come again?

well the Cards did give up a 2nd and DRC for Kolb. Then gave him a nice payday...

Olsen has actually proven something so what the hell lets make a deal!

Its a joke... because of the Kolb trade that I think they got shafted big time. So the Bears should try their luck as well.

Jvig43
07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Ah I see.

lol @ AZ

bigbluedefense
07-28-2011, 05:25 PM
um come again?

Sarcasm.

He's mocking the Kevin Kolb trade.

Monomach
07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I hate Mike Martz and his overrated offense so very much. The stupid alzheimerish ***** that owns my favorite team needs to have a moment of lucidity and fire all of the dumbasses she's paying to run the team into the ground.

Everyone involved needs to get AIDs and die in a fire before they can set the team back any more.

That was the biggest threat on the team, our best pass-catcher, and the franchise QB's best friend. WTF could we have possibly gotten that was worth him? That pick better be a second rounder.

Gay Ork Wang
07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Dude chill we have ******* Matt Spaeth, best TE to ever live, its all good

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 05:46 PM
How much longer is his contract? I'm not sure I trust Marty Hurney here...

Are there any more good TEs available from Da U? I think all the rest already play in our division

Monomach
07-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Dude chill we have ******* Matt Spaeth, best TE to ever live, its all good
Is Tony Scheffler available?

I MAD

GoRavens
07-28-2011, 05:49 PM
you know what they say, an awesome running game and a good pass catching TE area QBs best friends.
and Cam Newton needs all the friends he can get.
With DeAngelo & Stewart, I'd give them both 15+ carries a game, which means I wouldn't pass more than 20 times a game if I was Carolina.
Just sayin

BlindSite
07-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I came.................... twice!

Nalej
07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
2 TE sets with G.Olson and J.Shockey?

dj825
07-28-2011, 05:55 PM
2 TE sets with G.Olson and J.Shockey?

Unless Shockey is the unnamed player

Nalej
07-28-2011, 05:57 PM
touche, sir

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 06:00 PM
We need to sign Tavares Gooden and Darnell Jenkins now to reunite the 7th Floor Crew

cvv84
07-28-2011, 06:00 PM
How much longer is his contract?

He's entering the final year on his rookie contract.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 06:05 PM
He's entering the final year on his rookie contract.

fml

5 year $60 million extension INC

Monomach
07-28-2011, 06:06 PM
fml

5 year $60 million extension INC

The guy is going to get paid.

On the bright side of things, it's because he's legitimately good.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 06:07 PM
In Her Eyes

bearfan
07-28-2011, 06:12 PM
I wanna know what we got. The suspense is killing meeeeeee

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Nice move by the Panthers. As a Bucs fan, I hate to say it, but they are making moves to surround Cam Newton and ease him in comfortably with a run game and get another WR threat in the TE.

However I am still not sold on Cam Newton as a Franchise QB, they are making the right moves to make him succeed.

dj825
07-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Nice move by the Panthers. As a Bucs fan, I hate to say it, but they are making moves to surround Cam Newton and ease him in comfortably with a run game and get another WR threat in the TE.

However I am still not sold on Cam Newton as a Franchise QB, they are making the right moves to make him succeed.

yeah if he doesnt succeed its his own fault, it really does seem like Carolina is trying their best to make it easy as possible...

Monomach
07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Hearing the player is David Gettis. I like him and want him to be a Bear, but I don't Greg-Olsen-like him. That pick better be good.

dj825
07-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Hearing the player is David Gettis. I like him and want him to be a Bear, but I don't Greg-Olsen-like him. That pick better be good.

Wow if it is Gettis thats not too bad then, Gettis flashed alot last year and I could see him being very good in a Martz style offense. His main problems were that he did'nt have consistent QB play all year and he has some problems with drops.

Raiderz4Life
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
If I'm olsen...I would not sign no extension. The Panthers are gonna blow.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 06:48 PM
If I'm olsen...I would not sign no extension. The Panthers are gonna blow.

So you would sign an extension?

Raiderz4Life
07-28-2011, 06:50 PM
So you would sign an extension?

ey...don't judge my typing. I slip up every now and then and the hood comes out haha

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 06:51 PM
trading gettis would be idiotic and makes no sense

JustJoe2k5
07-28-2011, 06:55 PM
You've got to give to get in these trades, I just hope we didn't deal another first-round pick.

dj825
07-28-2011, 06:56 PM
trading gettis would be idiotic and makes no sense

Agreed, I hope its not him, hes a great young talent at a position where we have very little of that.

ElectricEye
07-28-2011, 06:57 PM
David Gettis was criminally underrated last year. Panthers would be wise to hang on to him.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 06:57 PM
im fine with trading something of worth (in fact I expect Hurney to do something dumb) but gettis is only on the 2nd year of his rookie deal (late round pick), isn't terrible and we don't really have much WR depth

you take him out and the WR core is

Smith (who may or may not want out every offseason from now until he retires)
LaFell
???
???
???

JustJoe2k5
07-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I expect to see an overhaul of the wide receiver position in free agency. It wasn't pretty last year and it looks like we're loading up everywhere else on offense.

dj825
07-28-2011, 06:59 PM
We still have the rookie Pilares and...Armanti Edwards... -_-'

asdf1223
07-28-2011, 07:01 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
we are checking but we think the Bears received Dan Connor in the Greg Olsen trade.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 07:02 PM
We still have the rookie Pilares and...Armanti Edwards... -_-'

I nominate this for post of the year. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 07:03 PM
yea looking around elsewhere ive seen it rumored that the bears were given the choice of armanti (lol), duke robinson (rapidly approaching 400 lbs) and connor

i imagine it took them all of .01 seconds to pick connor

good player but we don't have much use for him. his contract will probably be up in the next year or two also and i doubt he'd re-sign here. good trade for both teams if that's it

dj825
07-28-2011, 07:04 PM
ClaytonESPN John Clayton
we are checking but we think the Bears received Dan Connor in the Greg Olsen trade.

http://stillanightowl.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/facepalm.jpg

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 07:06 PM
the draft pick better be a 7th if connor is the player tho

regoob2
07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I just hope its not for Cam Newton......

Monomach
07-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Word is that Olsen has already gotten an extension...

Panthers looking smart. :/

SolidGold
07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Connor is their third best LB behind Urlacher and Briggs. Potentially could be starting along with those two on the opening day.

Monomach
07-28-2011, 07:13 PM
It better not be Connor. I'd rather just re-sign Nick Roach.

If we gave Olsen away for Dan Connor and a late round pick, I will legit murder a couple hundred small children.

ElectricEye
07-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Connor is a nice piece to work with and a good fit for their defense. Panthers didn't really let him get on the field a lot, could do a lot better with some coaching and playing time.

JustJoe2k5
07-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Connor is pretty solid, just injury-prone and stuck behind Beason, Davis, and Anderson on the depth chart.

hockey619
07-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Connor is their third best LB behind Urlacher and Briggs. Potentially could be starting along with those two on the opening day.

in todays nfl, how often do you need three linebackers on the field? itll help against AP and the vikes i guess, but he wont be playing against the packers as the 3rd LB. dumb to give up your best and only big target for a situational run defender.

ElectricEye
07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
in todays nfl, how often do you need three linebackers on the field? itll help against AP and the vikes i guess, but he wont be playing against the packers as the 3rd LB. dumb to give up your best and only big target for a situational run defender.

It is, but they were hellbent on doing it for some reason. It will be really funny when Martz gets fired and Olsen puts up good numbers in Carolina.

dj825
07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Connor is very good, he has had problems staying healthy but when he is healthy hes a beast. He reminds me alot of Dan Morgan, but he doesnt get all the concussions

ATLDirtyBirds
07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
@ProFootballWkly
Pro Football Weekly
Pet @BradBiggs, #Bears acquire third-round pick from #Panthers for TE Greg Olsen. No player headed to Chicago in the deal.

Docta
07-28-2011, 07:24 PM
All they traded him for was a 3rd round pick. **** my life. They do realize that their scouts suck, right?

Monomach
07-28-2011, 07:25 PM
...WE TRADED HALF OF OUR OFFENSIVE WEAPONS FOR A THIRD ROUNDER??????????????????????????

http://oi51.tinypic.com/14agzlk.jpg

regoob2
07-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Good trade for both teams.

hockey619
07-28-2011, 07:26 PM
@ProFootballWkly
Pro Football Weekly
Pet @BradBiggs, #Bears acquire third-round pick from #Panthers for TE Greg Olsen. No player headed to Chicago in the deal.

3rd? not even conditional? i guess they thought he wouldnt put up enough numbers with newton at qb to warrant taking a chance with a conditional?

Monomach
07-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Within three years, the Bears will draft a TE in the first two rounds.

I hope Jerry Angelo dies of some kind of painful anal parasite.

regoob2
07-28-2011, 07:27 PM
3rd? not even conditional? i guess they thought he wouldnt put up enough numbers with newton at qb to warrant taking a chance with a conditional?
Would you think he'll put up #s with Newton? I sure as hell wouldnt.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 07:31 PM
if it makes you happier im pretty pissed that hurney just traded ANOTHER ****ing draft pick

although he probably wouldve taken an LB and tried to convert him to TE with that pick so whatever

lod01
07-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Never underestimate the stupidity of the overrated, one trick pony, Mike Martz. The guy who has made a career out of fooling GM's due to his lucky pairing with HOF bound Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt. The guy leaves a path of destruction behind him.

Monomach
07-28-2011, 07:34 PM
if it makes you happier im pretty pissed that hurney just traded ANOTHER ****ing draft pick

although he probably wouldve taken an LB and tried to convert him to TE with that pick so whatever

...the Panthers just owned the Bears as thoroughly as the giant nazi owned Edward Norton in the American History X shower scene.. No TE you could have gotten with that pick will be half of a Greg Olsen.

So, no...it doesn't make me any happier.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 07:38 PM
we got steve smith with a 3rd rounder

that was a long time ago though (george seifert was in charge lol) and we've also taken a bunch of bad players too

Monomach
07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
we got steve smith with a 3rd rounder

that was a long time ago though (george seifert was in charge lol) and we've also taken a bunch of bad players too

The Bears got a hall of fame DE with an 8th rounder. That doesn't mean I'd ***** about giving up a seventh for Ryan Kalil.

You guys boned us hard with that trade. Be as giddy as a schoolgirl. Anything else is just being douchey for the sake of being douchey.

dj825
07-28-2011, 07:48 PM
The Bears got a hall of fame DE with an 8th rounder. That doesn't mean I'd ***** about giving up a seventh for Ryan Kalil.

You guys boned us hard with that trade. Be as giddy as a schoolgirl. Anything else is just being douchey for the sake of being douchey.

Im giddy :D

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 07:53 PM
maybe im underrating olsen

i dont think its super unrealistic to think you can get an equal or better player with that pick

then again it's also possible you get armanti edwards so eh

Monomach
07-28-2011, 07:57 PM
maybe im underrating olsen

i dont think its super unrealistic to think you can get an equal or better player with that pick

then again it's also possible you get armanti edwards so eh

Greg Olsen is a top ten TE that was misused by an idiotic blowhard.

You won't see it, since Cam's going to be a huge bust...but if he ever had a decent QB and OC at the same time, he'd be a shoo-in for consistent 700+ yard seasons. Hell, even his blocking looked at least average by the end of the year.

regoob2
07-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Greg Olsen is probably worth more than a 3rd round pick, just not to us. Also he was in the last year of his contract and he's gonna want to get paid.

ellsy82
07-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Ugh...its gonna take me a solid month of studying NFL rosters before I'm gonna get all this down.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 08:01 PM
^^re: regoob the whole last year of his contract and needs a big extension is a factor as well

in baseball that usually lowers a guys value by more than half of what it should be

3rd rounder is probably fair

Monomach
07-28-2011, 08:03 PM
^^re: regoob the whole last year of his contract and needs a big extension is a factor as well

in baseball that usually lowers a guys value by more than half of what it should be

3rd rounder is probably fair

**** no, it's not. That only applies to people who aren't worth the extension they'll get. He was WORTH an extension.

...and it almost never applies to football players i.e. Richard Seymour.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-28-2011, 08:07 PM
uh most guys who get traded go for WAY LESS than they should in football except rare exceptions where a team pays over the moon

the raiders getting owned by the pats shouldn't even count. let me throw out seymour and ill let you throw out moss for a 4th

JBCX
07-28-2011, 08:09 PM
The Eagles got a 2nd round pick and a Pro Bowl CB for a backup QB. Are you telling me the Bears couldn't have received something better than a 3rd round pick for a Pro Bowl type of TE?

bearfan
07-28-2011, 08:12 PM
The Eagles got a 2nd round pick and a Pro Bowl CB for a backup QB. Are you telling me the Bears couldn't have received something better than a 3rd round pick for a Pro Bowl type of TE?

The problem is that he has never been to the PB.

After considering it, I don't think the trade was too awful. Did it help the team this year? No. But the value is there. Look at what Boldin and Holmes were traded for. High 3rd round pick seems like decent value here.

PackerLegend
07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
This trade makes me happy. I dont think the Bears got shafted like the Cards but no more Greg Olsen is awesome.

JBCX
07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
The problem is that he has never been to the PB.

After considering it, I don't think the trade was too awful. Did it help the team this year? No. But the value is there. Look at what Boldin and Holmes were traded for. High 3rd round pick seems like decent value here.

I just think that Olsen is worth more to them on the roster in 2011 if a 3rd round pick is all they could obtain in return for him.

Monomach
07-28-2011, 08:17 PM
This trade makes me smile... I love it.

I would, too, if I were you. Losing Olsen, Manning, and Roach has us worse than last year right now, despite the two really good draft picks.

If we don't have a day where we snap us Harvey Dahl and Mike Sims-Walker or something, we're headed for the land of sub-.500 football.

...subtracting weapons (and best friends) from Cutler. Trade demand in 3...2...

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
A third round pick isn't worthless. Jermichael Finley was a 3rd rounder.

Monomach
07-28-2011, 09:00 PM
A third round pick isn't worthless. Jermichael Finley was a 3rd rounder.

Garrett Wolfe
Michael Okwo
Jarron Gilbert
Bernard Berrian
Dusty Dvoracek
Marcus Harrison

loljerryangelo

J-Mike88
07-28-2011, 09:05 PM
This trade makes me happy. I dont think the Bears got shafted like the Cards but no more Greg Olsen is awesome.
Exactly..... Sidney Rice and Greg Olsen are 2 guys who have hurt the Packers over the past couple of years.
Now if we can get Calvin Johnson to sign with Buffalo or Jacksonville.....

bucfan12
07-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Hmm...Mike Martz's scheme doesn't really utulize a recieving TE, yet they don't have a legit #1 or #2 WR. They have bunch of slot #3/4 guys starting. Good luck.

wordofi
07-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Hmm...Mike Martz's scheme doesn't really utulize a recieving TE, yet they don't have a legit #1 or #2 WR. They have bunch of slot #3/4 guys starting. Good luck.

On top of that, Olsen is a lousy blocker.

Monomach
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
On top of that, Olsen is a lousy blocker.

No, no he's not. He WAS a lousy blocker. Now he's an average blocker.

wordofi
07-28-2011, 10:01 PM

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

Monomach
07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/5315/unledjr.jpg

You join Jerry Angelo and Mike Martz on the list titled "People who don't know jack about tight ends."

Hurricanes25
07-28-2011, 11:27 PM

I agree. He has made great strides in blocking since becoming a Chicago Bear. He was a pretty one dimensional player for the 'canes.

BlindSite
07-29-2011, 12:40 AM
I've got a pretty big boner over this trade. Gets big time help. The dude is 26 years old and fits well into Chud's scheme. He might not light the world on fire while Cam develops but he'll sure as **** make a dent in opposing defenses.

CameronCropper
07-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Sigh, I'll miss you G-Reg.

A Perfect Score
07-29-2011, 10:59 AM
God dammit Ozzie. I really wanted Olsen.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I want to root for Greg Olsen bc he's a Jersey Boy.

but he's also a Wayne Hills boy. And I can't stand Wayne Hills. **** Wayne.

Go screw yourself Greg Olsen.