PDA

View Full Version : Albert Haynesworth to the Pats

Don Vito
07-28-2011, 05:48 AM
For a 2013 5th rounder. Low risk with a potentially huge reward, a somewhat motivated Haynesworth with Wilfork would be sextastic.

Jvig43
07-28-2011, 05:53 AM
WHATTTTTT? Link please?

Edit: I got you :) http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

703SKINS202
07-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Good luck, glad we finally got rid of him. We couldn't afford to head into camp with that cancer.

SolidGold
07-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Best move the Redskins have made this offseason and probably best move in the past decade for them

hockey619
07-28-2011, 07:50 AM
i love this pickup for the patriots, this makes their pass rush so much better with just one guy. suddenly, your opponents tackle is lining up with a guy whos his size or maybe bigger, i think he can be a problem while also freeing up others to make plays on the rush.

having him lineup over the right tackle against the jets is a very serious matchup problem for them i think, heck even having him against brick would be an issue with his size. I always try to think of what BB mustve been thinking with these moves, and i can see him doing this to get a great player who can help give him an edge against a tough rival.

i can see him being a monster at end for them, BB will get him to play up to his potential. Hes almost the exact same size as seymour was, and hes definitely a good player when he wants to be.

Nalej
07-28-2011, 08:33 AM
i love this pickup for the patriots, this makes their pass rush so much better with just one guy. suddenly, your opponents tackle is lining up with a guy whos his size or maybe bigger, i think he can be a problem while also freeing up others to make plays on the rush.

That's if he plays up to his potential, which recently he hasn't.
It obviously looks good in Madden but I'm not expecting much.
Our pass rush is non-existent so it's not like he'll hurt us there regardless
Hopefully BB gets him to turn his act around.

Anyone know what his contract looks like?
I know the 'skins payed that big bonus and the majority of the money
I just don't know what the Pats will be responsible for

Matthew Jones
07-28-2011, 08:38 AM
This was a great move for New England assuming Haynesworth is willing to put forth a genuine effort - he would be a huge upgrade over what we were currently considering at right end and a great compliment to Vince Wilfork. I think the pass rush should be helped out as well. The price of compensation wasn't too high, and I don't think Haynesworth has too much money left on his contract. He will be surrounded by high character guys like Wilfork, Stroud, and DL coach Pepper Johnson and get a chance to resurrect his career.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Very nice move by NE. Not surprising. I know BB changes things up a lot on the defensive front, but I still would have liked to see Albert back in a base 4-3.

Rosebud
07-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Should we start penciling him in for DPOY and MVP?

DoughBoy
07-28-2011, 08:41 AM
It isnt going to work out.

hockey619
07-28-2011, 08:44 AM
That's if he plays up to his potential, which recently he hasn't.
It obviously looks good in Madden but I'm not expecting much.
Our pass rush is non-existent so it's not like he'll hurt us there regardless
Hopefully BB gets him to turn his act around.

well yes it is a risk, but not really a big one, and the potential return on it is huge. as you said, you dont have a rush now so its not like he'll ruin it.

I feel like haynesworth will work hard, idk i think he wants to stick it to shannahan really badly and will try to prove that he can still play.

DoughBoy
07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
People that think he will be in any kind of shape to make it out of training camp make me lol. Bill is a great coach, but he isnt a god.

Nalej
07-28-2011, 08:56 AM
People that think he will be in any kind of shape to make it out of training camp make me lol. Bill is a great coach, but he isnt a god.

I was with you up to this point

AHungryWalrus
07-28-2011, 09:05 AM
As a Jets fan, I dislike this. People just counting him out are the same people who said Corey Dillon and Randy Moss weren't going to help. These gambles ALWAYS seem to work for BB.

I mean, I'm not SURE it's going to work out, but I really just would have preferred not having to worry about a potentially motivated Haynesworth on the team I hate more than any other...

Bucs_Rule
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
I still don't understand why Snyder gave Haynesworth that 21 million roster bonus after his first season when it was obvious he wasn't going to work out.

So what Snyder really did was give Haynesworth a 21 million roster bonus and in return got another season of headaches and a 5th round pick.

AntoinCD
07-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I doubt he'll be playing much 5 technique this year. He's more likely to play beside Wilfork in a 43 with Warren and Cunningham at DE on run downs and beside Mike Wright with the same two DEs on passing downs. The Pats only play a base 34 less than 50% of the time. With the lack of impact OLBs I think that may even be reduced this year

I actually think this trade now makes me want Kiwanuka more than before. A 4 down line of Kiwanuka, Haynesworth, Wilfork and Cunningham just made me soil myself. Then have Guyton, Mayo and Spikes at LB with Devin McSexy, Merriweather, Chung and Bodden in the secondary with Dowling replacing Spikes on 3rd down. Oh my...I'm getting all flustered now

Nalej
07-28-2011, 09:14 AM
As a Pats fan... I don't want Aso on the Jets.
So if the world is fare... and Aso does end up there...
then the balance of the universe needs to be balanced by having an All Pro Haynesworth.
It'll all on you, NY. Don't get Aso... Haynesworth blows. Sign him and Sanchez dies on the field.

Your choice.

Matthew Jones
07-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Projected final DL depth chart:

LE: Warren - Brace - Deaderick

NT: Wilfork - Pryor - Love

RE: Haynesworth - Stroud - Wright

Looks like a deep rotation.

Nalej
07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Do you think we keep 9 DL on the roster?
I'm not sure how many we had last year but that seems like a lot.

Don Vito
07-28-2011, 09:29 AM
I like it. Wilfork is an All-Pro, Haynesworth has All-Pro ability, Warren is a solid starter, Stroud has a ton of experience, Brace is developing, Deaderick is a very good run stuffer, Wright is tenacious and is a very good pass rusher, and Pryor has shown some flashes as a young player. Could be a pretty good group, Wilfork must stay healthy though.

bigbluedefense
07-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Doesn't Haynesworth despise the 3-4 though?

He's not a disciplined player either, and the 1 thing BB hates is an undisciplined player. Usually, these moves work for BB, but I'm not sure about this one.

Don Vito
07-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Do you think we keep 9 DL on the roster?
I'm not sure how many we had last year but that seems like a lot.

I don't see anyone who we would leave off. It would be between Pryor, Deaderick, and Brace but that would be a tough one.

Splat
07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
I stopped doubting BB a long time ago.

Nalej
07-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Haynesworth didn't want to play NT in the 34.

2/27/2009: Signed a seven-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $41 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus, all of his 2009-2011 base salaries, and a $21 million guaranteed option bonus in the second year. Haynesworth is due a $29 million "poison pill" in 2013, effectively making it a four-year, $48.2 million deal. Another $15 million is available through incentives. 2011: $5.4 million, 2012: $6.7 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2013: $8.5 million (+ $20 million "discretionary signing bonus" + $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31 = Poison Pill Year), 2014: $10.3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31), 2015: $11.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31), 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2636/albert-haynesworth/1 via FlyingElvis in team forum

One and done at most then?

Matthew Jones
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Haynesworth didn't want to play NT in the 34.

2/27/2009: Signed a seven-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $41 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus, all of his 2009-2011 base salaries, and a $21 million guaranteed option bonus in the second year. Haynesworth is due a $29 million "poison pill" in 2013, effectively making it a four-year, $48.2 million deal. Another $15 million is available through incentives. 2011: $5.4 million, 2012: $6.7 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2013: $8.5 million (+ $20 million "discretionary signing bonus" + $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31 = Poison Pill Year), 2014: $10.3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31), 2015: $11.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31), 2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2636/albert-haynesworth/1 via FlyingElvis in team forum

One and done at most then?

I haven't heard anything re. whether or not Haynesworth will be restructuring his deal, but I read that he has a $5.4 million salary this year and a $7.2 million salary next year currently.

wordofi
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
I have a feeling that the Patriots just stole him like they did with Randy Moss.

Nalej
07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
...and according to that source, 29 million due in 2013
Did the Redskins expect the world to end before that or something?

Matthew Jones
07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
One thing I forgot to mention - I really like this trade from Washington's perspective too. Unload McNabb and Haynesworth for whatever picks possible and get the distractions from 2010 out of the way early. This was probably a success for them regardless of how Haynesworth turns out, because he wasn't going to be a factor for the Redskins in 2011.

PoopSandwich
07-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Winning changes people, look at Randy. He sucked in Oakland and then set records a year later for NE. I'm not saying fat Albert is gonna do the same thing but I wouldn't be surprised if he came in with a chip on his shoulder this year.

descendency
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Great Joke, but April Fools was months ago.

... It's a joke right???

RIGHT????

*sigh*

This could be a wide range of things. It could be a total headache and a huge mistake (which I imagine is more right) or it could be a total cluster**** to the rest of the league. I guess we'll see where it lands.

2 Live Crew
07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
This was a great move for New England assuming Haynesworth is willing to put forth a genuine effort

That's a big if. Albert is a POS and you can bet any amount of money that he has not worked out this offseason. Also, he hates the 3-4, and yes they tried to play him at DE in the 3-4 last year as well and it didn't help. Good Luck.

ElectricEye
07-28-2011, 11:24 AM
When he wants to play, he's still one of the most disruptive forces in the NFL. If he doesn't, he's a body. The former would be FANTASTIC, but we need the latter just as much at this point. I'm not a fan of the guy and his concentration lapses, off the field crap, or just general laziness...but if we can get 50 to 75% out of him that's a major upgrade to what we had last year.

We just need to convince him he can do what he likes to do as a 3-4 DE and fit him into our base formation. Subpackages where he lines up next to Wilfork should be real neat too, though.

keylime_5
07-28-2011, 11:33 AM
well he was worthless for the redskins, but on a team like new england where they will be in first place all the time, he should be motivated to play hard instead of collecting his millions and not trying on the field. He should be moved around a lot to at DE, DT, and NT like Wilfork was a bit last year.

nepg
07-28-2011, 11:43 AM
He's a 2-year rental (then possibly reneg) who will be an absolute terror at 3-4 DE. He'll get along with BB and Pepper Johnson really well. Wilfork and Warren will keep him motivated and in line. This is a no-brainer for the Pats. Fixes 90% of the issues they had on defense last year and brings a nasty attitude to the field that's needed.

bigbluedefense
07-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Here's the problem I have with this trade. Albert hates the 3-4, and even if he plays DE in BB's 3-4, he will hate that too bc BB's 3-4 is a 2 gap 3-4.

So he'd be basically occupying blockers instead of rushing the passer. That's what DEs in BB's 3-4 do.

And Fat Al HATES that. He's an undisciplined turd. He doesn't want to play his gap, he doesn't want to stay within the system, he just wants to shoot gaps and rush the passer.

It worked in Tennessee bc that's all he was asked to do. But in a disciplined defense like this? I think it's going to be a disaster unless BB can straighten him out.

But I see no reason why Al would suddenly change his tune. If it works it can be a great move, but all the evidence suggests that Fat Al is going to be a turd over there.

Giantsfan1080
07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm sure BB has something in mind with Albert here. He knows what kind of player he is and might ask him to go back to the old attacking player he was even in his scheme.

redbills
07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
ugh.....i hate the Pats*, he'll return to his old self in new england. they will play him as an UT in nickle and dime packages so he can do what he like to do play as a 1 gap UT.

ElectricEye
07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Here's the problem I have with this trade. Albert hates the 3-4, and even if he plays DE in BB's 3-4, he will hate that too bc BB's 3-4 is a 2 gap 3-4.

So he'd be basically occupying blockers instead of rushing the passer. That's what DEs in BB's 3-4 do.

And Fat Al HATES that. He's an undisciplined turd. He doesn't want to play his gap, he doesn't want to stay within the system, he just wants to shoot gaps and rush the passer.

In different times, I would be with you. But things have changed here personal wise lately. We started Mike Wright until he got last year, who try as he might, has little to no two gap ability and was really just more of rusher who can go two different ways. So it wouldn't be the first time we've run out a guy who is more interested in getting into the backfield at five tech.

I can't see Al being asked to eat a whole ton of space or put into a role he's uncomfortable with for a significant period of time. I hope we've got some tape of Haloti Ngata handy to show him when he gets here, because in an ideal world that's role we try to sell him on.

descendency
07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
My gut says Albert Haynesworth is going to be a sub package DT and that's about it.

I doubt he even plays in the base package at all.

GoRavens
07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
terrific move by the Pats yet again.
They will revamp his career and Hayensworth Wilfork just sounds scary.

BeerBaron
07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Bill Belichick is just trolling the league. I look for Haynesworth to have a DPotY type year now.

GaMeTiMe
07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
The people who aren't optimistic about this move need to pull their heads out of their asses. This is a classic low-risk, high-reward move by BB and I'm more than positive it will end up working out for them in one capacity or another, even if he isn't the Albert Haynesworth from Tennessee - something we should all know we won't see again anyway.

He'll keep his mouth shut and play the 4-3 sets, or keep his mouth even quieter and get some 3-4 snaps aswell. The culture is different in New England than in Washington and Haynesworth, while still possibly a bit lazy, out of shape, unmotivated and underperforming - will at least keep his mouth shut and be an active, effective player in the rotation.

They cut Stroud already, and Haynesworth assume his best-case scenario role as a wave-player if he's still a problem behind-the-scenes, or he could be what we all know he could be and push the other guys like Brace, Wright and Deaderick behind him. If I really had to guess, I'd say the Pats open with Brace/Wilfork/Warren on the line and Haynesworth as the first guy up with 4 down-linemen.

Also curious how hard the Eagles pushed for him, not sure which came first but if we announced the Babin signing shortly after Haynesworth got traded I wouldn't be surprised. If all it took was a 2013 5th I'm sure we were players even if we did just figure he'd get cut, they probably just didn't want to put him back under Washburn within the division and give him two motivated games a season.

ElectricEye
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
They cut Stroud already, and Haynesworth assume his best-case scenario role as a wave-player if he's still a problem behind-the-scenes, or he could be what we all know he could be and push the other guys like Brace, Wright and Deaderick behind him. If I really had to guess, I'd say the Pats open with Brace/Wilfork/Warren on the line and Haynesworth as the first guy up with 4 down-linemen.

Agree with all this, except for the Brace part. Brace has done next to nothing for this team as DE except occasionally make a few plays on the run. He's also in the BB dog house just a little bit. Legitimate NT prospect a few years ago, but he's a poor fit at DE and should at the very best just end up being a platoon guy with Wright(with Wright getting the majority of the snaps).

AntoinCD
07-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I might be a massive homer but I don't see how it's possible Haynesworth doesn't automatically become the best player of all time. In fact I think it would be smart if at times when BB plays the base defense that he puts Haynesworth at CB across from McCourty because I'm assuming that would be at least as good as any potential Revis/Aso combination the Jets may have

Nalej
07-28-2011, 01:20 PM
In different times, I would be with you. But things have changed here personal wise lately. We started Mike Wright until he got last year, who try as he might, has little to no two gap ability and was really just more of rusher who can go two different ways. So it wouldn't be the first time we've run out a guy who is more interested in getting into the backfield at five tech.

I can't see Al being asked to eat a whole ton of space or put into a role he's uncomfortable with for a significant period of time. I hope we've got some tape of Haloti Ngata handy to show him when he gets here, because in an ideal world that's role we try to sell him on.

This times a million

Jamaal-Football
07-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I hope the Pats get this guy.
XFzp3uHua40

descendency
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
5QUKOPAAO2k

Maybe we can get this guy. . .

BeerBaron
07-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe we can get this guy. . .

Not everyone gets to face Chris Williams every play.

FUNBUNCHER
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Doesn't Haynesworth despise the 3-4 though?

He's not a disciplined player either, and the 1 thing BB hates is an undisciplined player. Usually, these moves work for BB, but I'm not sure about this one.

If Belichick lets Haynesworth headhunt and get upfield after the QB, he's going to add another dimension to the Pats' D they haven't had in years.

If instead Haynesworth is asked to stack Olineman and read pass/run before making a move, it's going to blow up in Belichick's face.

Haynesworth wants to be recognized as a playmaker at DT, a guy who blows up offensive lines and makes negative plays against opposing teams.

Haslett tried to make Haynesworth a block absorbing, grunt NT who freed up plays for his teammates. He didn't try to adapt his defense to fit AH until it was too late. The Skins should have let AH freelance and had one of the LBers cover for him.

Belichick has to know that Haynesworth views himself as a one-gap DT, and I assume that's how he's going to be used.

It's weird, but there were times last season on obvious passing 3rd down that Haslett/Shanahan simply refused to put AH out on the field. When it became a contest of who was 'the boss', Haynesworth shut it down.

Being in an organization like NE with personal accountability and a winning culture, I think Haynesworth returns to his level of play with the Titans.

If Belichick makes this work in a big way, they might as well put him in Canton right now.

Despite all the crap AH put SKins fans through, he's still one if not the only DT in the game who can take an opposing Olineman and drive him back 5-10 yards into the QB.

He destroyed the Skins Olineman last year in TC practices, that's part of the reason watching Shanahan and Haynesworth unable to reach a compromise was so disappointing.

hockey619
07-28-2011, 04:01 PM

It worked in Tennessee bc that's all he was asked to do. But in a disciplined defense like this? I think it's going to be a disaster unless BB can straighten him out.

But I see no reason why Al would suddenly change his tune. If it works it can be a great move, but all the evidence suggests that Fat Al is going to be a turd over there.

someone already said it, but i expect the pats to throw more heavy 4 man fronts out there and let haynesworth do what he wants. If they put him next to wilfork and say 'go' and just let him go crazy into the backfield, i think hed be all for it and get closer to playing to his potential.

oh, and the reason he hates the two gap, 3-4, disciplined stuff: guys who get a lot of sacks are paid big money, and haynesworth is ALL about the $$$.

im convinced thats why he threw such a fit. He knew that he was getting cut from the redskins in two years anyway, everyone did, so that 29mil number for 2013 was irrelevant, just money added on so he could say he got his 100mil contract.

but if he was stuck playing gaps and not getting sacks in wash, his next contract come 2013 would be tiny by comparison.

EDIT: damn, a lot of what i said is similar to FB, but yeah.

descendency
07-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Not everyone gets to face Chris Williams every play.

Yeah. I get it. He's a bad OL. That's still a pretty awesome display of strength, leverage, and basically everything the Patriots have lacked.

nepg
07-28-2011, 05:45 PM
someone already said it, but i expect the pats to throw more heavy 4 man fronts out there and let haynesworth do what he wants. If they put him next to wilfork and say 'go' and just let him go crazy into the backfield, i think hed be all for it and get closer to playing to his potential.

oh, and the reason he hates the two gap, 3-4, disciplined stuff: guys who get a lot of sacks are paid big money, and haynesworth is ALL about the $$$.

im convinced thats why he threw such a fit. He knew that he was getting cut from the redskins in two years anyway, everyone did, so that 29mil number for 2013 was irrelevant, just money added on so he could say he got his 100mil contract.

but if he was stuck playing gaps and not getting sacks in wash, his next contract come 2013 would be tiny by comparison.

EDIT: damn, a lot of what i said is similar to FB, but yeah.
Have you seen the numbers Warren and Seymour have put up over the years? Haynesworth will love playing DE in that defense. He'll draw blockers just by being the threat he is doing what he does. He's not a guy who has to purposely eat up blockers...they'll come to him.

ElectricEye
07-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Have you seen the numbers Warren and Seymour have put up over the years? Haynesworth will love playing DE in that defense. He'll draw blockers just by being the threat he is doing what he does. He's not a guy who has to purposely eat up blockers...they'll come to him.

When he was on, he was dealing with double teams anyway. So long as we let him rush from the 5 tech, I doubt it matters. It shouldn't. Might with his track record though.

wordofi
07-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah. I get it. He's a bad OL. That's still a pretty awesome display of strength, leverage, and basically everything the Patriots have lacked.

I've never seen an offensive lineman get embarrassed as badly as Chris Williams did on that play.

tjsunstein
07-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Passed his conditioning test this morning.

Nalej
07-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Hell yea. time to get to work now

ElectricEye
07-31-2011, 09:44 AM
First time he took it too, contrary to other reports.

The more I think about it, I'm pretty uncomfortable with this acquisition. Maybe not JUST because of Haynesworth, but from a team culture perspective over all. We cut Ty Warren, who was a model citizen here over the years and did everything right off the the field and in the locker room, and bring in a guy like this. At the same time, you have to be intrigued by how it's all going to turn out.