PDA

View Full Version : An Underrated Move that could Prove Huge

gpngc
07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Before you come back with the obvious reply - he's going to get hurt in preseason - just imagine if he doesn't, and stays healthy all year. If he does get hurt, or comes back as a shell of his former self, this thread never existed.

But a player with that kind of talent and playmaking ability could make a huge impact on a team with realistic Super Bowl aspirations.

Everyone is going nuts about the frenzy right now, but before the lockout, the San Diego Super Chargers took a flier on oft-injured BOB SANDERS, and all indications are they plan on starting him next to Weddle. Remember, SD had the #1 defense statistically last season and will return all, if not most, of their key players on D.

Wodwo
07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
They also added Spikes, who played very well under their new DC.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
He'll be injured before he steps foot on the trainning camp field.

/thread

gpngc
07-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Before you come back with the obvious reply - he's going to get hurt in preseason - just imagine if he doesn't, and stays healthy all year. If he does get hurt, or comes back as a shell of his former self, this thread never existed.

But a player with that kind of talent and playmaking ability could make a huge impact on a team with realistic Super Bowl aspirations.

Everyone is going nuts about the frenzy right now, but before the lockout, the San Diego Super Chargers took a flier on oft-injured BOB SANDERS, and all indications are they plan on starting him next to Weddle. Remember, SD had the #1 defense statistically last season and will return all, if not most, of their key players on D.

Your contribution to the discussion has already been said.

descendency
07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Somehow, I don't think this really makes them better.

They're problem is on special teams (and coaching). Bob Sanders on ST is suicide.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Before you come back with the obvious reply - he's going to get hurt in preseason

He'll be injured before he steps foot on the training camp field.

Your contribution to the discussion has already been said.

So yeah, in your face :D

GoRavens
07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
He's injury prone but that's not to say he doesn't have incredible talent and yes, a tad bit of potential left.
It all depends on how he's recovered, don't write him off just yet suckaz

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2011, 12:41 PM
He's injury prone but that's not to say he doesn't have incredible talent and yes, a tad bit of potential left.
It all depends on how he's recovered, don't write him off just yet suckaz

I don't think "potential" is the right word to describe his situation. I'd replace it with "gas in the tank." Bob Sanders was already a great player, and played at a very high level. Injuries have obviously derailed his career, but I do expect him to play well if he's healthy.

That's a huge if, of course, and it definitely has to be taken into consideration when talking about him.

GaMeTiMe
07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Gotta love San Diego's defensive backfield as a whole. Jammer, Cason, Gilchrist, Weddle, Sanders, Gregory, Stuckey, Shareece Wright.

Yes, Sanders will get hurt, but even if they're able to look elite with him in there for a game or two they won't skip a beat without him. This is a legitimate defense and San Diego should have no problem getting back to the top of the AFC West

Splat
07-28-2011, 01:07 PM
This is a legitimate defense and San Diego should have no problem getting back to the top of the AFC West

Just like they easily won the AFC West last year. O wait...

I love how people always just hand SD the Div every year and every year is "their year" to make a SB run and they never do ****.

GaMeTiMe
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Just like they easily won the AFC West last year. O wait...

I love how people always just hand SD the Div every year and every year is "their year" to make a SB run and they never do ****.

I picked Kansas City last year, actually. No proof, but I wouldn't just make that up.
Not that I said anything about San Diego "repeating" this year or even hinted at some kind of past success being a factor anyway.

I said nothing about the Super Bowl, but that division is San Diego's to lose. Kansas City is a good team with plenty of young talent that should be in the Wild Card hunt but they're not a better all-around team than the Chargers.

How many games did Vincent Jackson play in last year? 5. Say hello to the most motivated player in football this year after what he's been through with that team the past three years and this off-season. That's not even to say it was the only difference between the Chargers and Chiefs last year or will be this year, but it's obviously an enormous factor.

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 01:27 PM
San Diego always has an immense amount of talent and underachieves. I don't think Bob Sanders' impact on the field is going to be as significant as it is off the field. He's a proven leader on the defensive side of the ball and can do wonders for their young(er) secondary. Small move with great impact.

With that said, I expect the Chargers to blow it somehow.

niel89
07-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I just can't take Sanders seriously anymore. Until he plays more than part of a season before being completely hurt he really is irrelevant. In no way shape or form can you rely on him for anything.

Mr. Goosemahn
07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
With that said, the Chargers blow.

Fixed that for you.

Iamcanadian
07-30-2011, 11:27 AM
I picked Kansas City last year, actually. No proof, but I wouldn't just make that up.
Not that I said anything about San Diego "repeating" this year or even hinted at some kind of past success being a factor anyway.

I said nothing about the Super Bowl, but that division is San Diego's to lose. Kansas City is a good team with plenty of young talent that should be in the Wild Card hunt but they're not a better all-around team than the Chargers.

How many games did Vincent Jackson play in last year? 5. Say hello to the most motivated player in football this year after what he's been through with that team the past three years and this off-season. That's not even to say it was the only difference between the Chargers and Chiefs last year or will be this year, but it's obviously an enormous factor.

You can give Norv Turner all the talent in the world and his team will still disappoint. This season will be no different.

vidae
07-30-2011, 11:47 AM
I just can't take Sanders seriously anymore. Until he plays more than part of a season before being completely hurt he really is irrelevant. In no way shape or form can you rely on him for anything.

Yeah I completely agree with this. I don't get why Chargers fans are so excited about this signing. He's not the same player he was and quite frankly I doubt he ever will be.

And yeah, go Chargers, the most overrated team in the NFL in the last decade. "So much talent!" but it has gotten them nowhere.

Babylon
07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
You can give Norv Turner all the talent in the world and his team will still disappoint. This season will be no different.

I actually like the Chargers this year. The schedule is favorable and if they get a Vincent Jackson and a Ryan Matthews on the field for the whole season i think they'll be tough to beat. Great 1st round pick in Corey Liuget.

wordofi
07-30-2011, 01:32 PM

He'll get injured again. It's that simple. He's just one of those guys who can't stay healthy. It's that simple.

bantx
07-30-2011, 01:50 PM
It was a low risk signing he signed for the minimum if he gets injured no big deal? I don't see why people doubt the chargers won't get into the playoffs when the chiefs limped into the playoffs and we had mosts of our big name players injured and Rivers throwing to some 4th n 5th string WRs.

vidae
07-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Limped in? You're acting like we didn't split with you last year. And people doubt it because every year the Chargers are supposed to be great and every year they're not.

Dam8610
07-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. First and foremost, it's Bob Sanders, he's going to get hurt. Sorry if you don't like that being restated, but I've just come to accept it as a fact of life. Bob Sanders is too broken to play a full or even majority of an NFL season at this point. As for the Chargers having the "#1 defense statistically last season", look at points allowed for the true measure of a defense, not yardage allowed.

As for an underrated move that could make a huge impact...get back to me when free agency is done, I'll have an answer then.

CC.SD
08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
No one cares about Bob Sanders, it would be nice but really, no one cares. It's like, do you want nuts on your frozen banana?? sure but I will still take the frozen banana if you don't have any nuts.

Speaking of nuts, lol @instant rivalry troll thread. Chiefs fans, let's relax no need to be insecure, however be realistic, it took a lot of injuries and the worst special teams in history for the Chargers to give up the annual "down in flames" AFC west playoff spot. We're coming back for it this year with new and creative ways to fail in the postseason.

Ness
08-03-2011, 10:41 PM
This could help the Chargers and the good thing is that it's a low risk-high reward type of situation. I'm guessing he might get hurt again though since he has a pretty extensive injury history. But hey, remember Mike Brown? When he was picked up by the Chiefs didn't he start all of their games for them? Anything is possible. If it doesn't work out, no big loss.

bantx
08-03-2011, 11:13 PM
he signed for the minimum no big deals, he does well AJ is a genius he gets hurt again who cares.

Raiderz4Life
08-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Limped in? You're acting like we didn't split with you last year. And people doubt it because every year the Chargers are supposed to be great and every year they're not.

Yes...you limped in. Everyone knows if the Raiders hadn't had Raider moments vs SF and then that bald fat bastard of Janikowski blowing the Cards game...we wouda had the AFC West. Which is total ******** anyways....kinda **** is that? You go 6-0 in the division yet still lose the divison???

Splat
08-03-2011, 11:20 PM
But hey, remember Mike Brown? When he was picked up by the Chiefs didn't he start all of their games for them?

Don't remind me he was awful.

stlouisfan37
08-04-2011, 01:27 AM
For those of you scoring at home, I am a Rams fan and have a completely unbiased opinion on these two teams. I don't live in Missouri, either.

I think that Todd Haley is one of the brightest young offensive minds to come along in quite some time, and the Chiefs offense will make more strides this year. Jonathan Baldwin has all the tools to become an excellent receiver. Jamaal Charles keeps everyone honest, and may be the most explosive offensive player in the AFC.

A key contributor this year will be Steve Breaston. Breaston is an opportunist who will make defenses pay for underestimating him. This may be the most underrated FA signing this offseason.

The Chargers have a great offense as well, please don't misunderstand me. They have a solid running game with excellent depth. I totally agree that Vincent Jackson will have a chip on his shoulder and should have a great season.

All that being said, I think the Chargers will regret it if they fail to re-sign Floyd. At present they have Patrick Crayton listed as their #2 WR, and he doesn't scare anyone. Vincent Brown is still probably a year away from really breaking out. They do have an advantage at TE, but I don't think it will matter, because they have a huge disadvantage in one key area...

COACHING. Norv Turner is a great X's and O's guy, but I don't consider him to be a head coach who will ever win the big one. He lacks fire and excitement, and, quite frankly, his teams show it.

Defensively, I think the Chargers are better, and definitely more well developed, but I think the Chiefs have a lot of key pieces in place and are improving rapidly. My vote goes for the Chiefs to win the West this year, followed by San Diego, Oakland, and Denver, in that order.

Ness
08-04-2011, 01:44 AM
COACHING. Norv Turner is a great X's and O's guy, but I don't consider him to be a head coach who will ever win the big one. He lacks fire and excitement, and, quite frankly, his teams show it.

Having fire and excitement is not necessary to win a football game, let alone the Super Bowl. Bill Belicheck, Tony Dungy, Bill Walsh?

It's the same thing with players. I'll never understand why people feel that being emotional on the sidelines or in the huddle equates to having a better chance of success. It doesn't.

Raiderz4Life
08-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Having fire and excitement is not necessary to win a football game, let alone the Super Bowl. Bill Belicheck, Tony Dungy, Bill Walsh?

It's the same thing with players. I'll never understand why people feel that being emotional on the sidelines or in the huddle equates to having a better chance of success. It doesn't.

Look at mike singletary lol

Ness
08-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Look at mike singletary lol

Oh goodness thanks for reminding me. Yeah this doesn't win you football games. Stop being emotional for the cameras and learn how to actually coach.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/DornOT/mike-singletary-death-stare.gif

YAYareaRB
08-04-2011, 02:05 AM

are they exception or the rule? im sure for every reserved successful coach there's a fiery successful one.

Ness
08-04-2011, 02:47 AM
are they exception or the rule? im sure for every reserved successful coach there's a fiery successful one.

Or maybe they're just different type of people.

Being fiery doesn't equate to being successful. Those three I listed (I'm sure there are more) prove that. For every lunatic screaming coach that has had success I can name one that has been a failure. This goes for players well. Why would it in the first place? It didn't work for Singletary. When it comes down to it as long as you have the right attitude and determination, and confidence to do your job it's probably going to go a long way. Now some people have different methods to achieve their goals, but in this case yelling and screaming isn't necessarily better than being cool and reserved.

YAYareaRB
08-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Or maybe they're just different type of people.

Being fiery doesn't equate to being successful. Those three I listed (I'm sure there are more) prove that. For every lunatic screaming coach that has had success I can name one that has been a failure. This goes for players well. Why would it in the first place? It didn't work for Singletary. When it comes down to it as long as you have the right attitude and determination, and confidence to do your job it's probably going to go a long way. Now some people have different methods to achieve their goals, but in this case yelling and screaming isn't necessarily better than being cool and reserved.

im not disputing the fact that attitude does not mean success. im just pointing out that there are successful coaches with whatever their attitudes may be.

for every screaming head coach that has been successful you can find one that has been a failure. can the same not be said for the "reserved and cool" coaches?

ShyneQuasiOG22
08-04-2011, 03:48 AM
I don't think it's about being emotional, but connecting with your team and having them "buy in". Getting the most out of your players because they want to bust their asses to win for you and believe in your system. Norv doesn't seem to be able to do any of that which is why the Chargers have so much talent and never live up to it.

descendency
08-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Oh goodness thanks for reminding me. Yeah this doesn't win you football games. Stop being emotional for the cameras and learn how to actually coach.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww114/DornOT/mike-singletary-death-stare.gif

I see your Mike Singletary and I'll raise you a Rex Ryan.

http://thisisforty.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/rex-ryan.jpg

edit: Kind of funny the picture I randomly picked had his mouth open.

ChiFan24
08-04-2011, 04:02 AM
I'm surprised that in the discussion of reasons San Diego will under-perform, nobody mentioned the loss of Ron Rivera. Isn't he kind of the reason their defense has been so good lately? Is Antonio Garay going to be nearly as effective for Manusky? He runs more of a traditional 3-4, doesn't he?

Ness
08-04-2011, 04:31 AM
im not disputing the fact that attitude does not mean success. im just pointing out that there are successful coaches with whatever their attitudes may be.

for every screaming head coach that has been successful you can find one that has been a failure. can the same not be said for the "reserved and cool" coaches?
Exactly. Which is why I'm saying it doesn't matter. Some people pretend like it does. This isn't the movies, it's reality. Just seems like people want drama to be the real product and that isn't the case.

Ness
08-04-2011, 04:34 AM
I don't think it's about being emotional, but connecting with your team and having them "buy in". Getting the most out of your players because they want to bust their asses to win for you and believe in your system. Norv doesn't seem to be able to do any of that which is why the Chargers have so much talent and never live up to it.

Well they get to the playoffs, they just haven't won the Super Bowl basically let alone get there. Andy Reid and the Eagles have had the same problem since he's been there. Hell I wouldn't even say he's a super emotional jump up and down guy like John Gruden or Steve Mariucci was. But I wouldn't say that that is the main problem why the Chargers have failed in their quest. They've faced some pretty good teams and the dice has just come up empty for them. Marty Schottenheimer was a lot more emotional and vocal than Turner was and his San Diego teams didn't do squat in the playoffs compared to what Turner has done during his tenure.

stlouisfan37
08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't think Norv is the reason why the Chargers make it to the playoffs on a regular basis. I think the Chargers' ability to draft well and pick diamonds in the rough late in the draft (ex, Brandon Siler, 7th round) is the reason they are a perennial contender. They simply have more talent than most other teams.

Norv's career winning percentage is under .500, and he is 0-4 in postseason. Maybe being a quiet man has nothing to do with it. Whatever the reason, I have no confidence that the Chargers will do anything great as long as he is at the helm.

Ness
08-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't think Norv is the reason why the Chargers make it to the playoffs on a regular basis. I think the Chargers' ability to draft well and pick diamonds in the rough late in the draft (ex, Brandon Siler, 7th round) is the reason they are a perennial contender. They simply have more talent than most other teams.

Norv's career winning percentage is under .500, and he is 0-4 in postseason. Maybe being a quiet man has nothing to do with it. Whatever the reason, I have no confidence that the Chargers will do anything great as long as he is at the helm.

What are you talking about? Turner's playoff record isn't 0-4. It's 4-4.

He's not that bad of a head coach. He knows what he's at least talking about. He's also had to play for two terrible run franchises via their owners in Washington and Oakland.

stlouisfan37
08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
My bad. I misread his stats.

I will grant you that it is really hard to win under Dan Snyder and probably harder under Al Davis.

I honestly don't have a personal bias against him. And I think the Chargers are one of the funner teams in the league to watch. I just think following a head coach like Norv will lead you down a dead end road. It isn't anything against him personally. I just think he fits into that category of guys like Mike Martz, Al Saunders, and Wade Phillips. They are fantastic coaches and great coordinators, but they are not the guy you want running the whole show.

gpngc
08-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm surprised that in the discussion of reasons San Diego will under-perform, nobody mentioned the loss of Ron Rivera. Isn't he kind of the reason their defense has been so good lately? Is Antonio Garay going to be nearly as effective for Manusky? He runs more of a traditional 3-4, doesn't he?

Good point. I'm still going to blindly pick them to win the division because of Rivers. Statistically, their D has to fall off. They gave up less yardage because teams averaged two blocked punts for TDs a week...

I like their personnel and they have the experience to understand the nuances of their new play-caller and transition smoothly.

Vikes99ej
08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
The Chargers will always choke. No matter who they add.

TheBoyWonder22
08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
The Chargers will always choke. No matter who they add.
This made me think of something. When was the last time the Chargers brought in a high caliber free agent? I seriously can't think of one since I've followed the league. I think players don't really respect the organization. That, or the front office isn't willing to put up enough to make a good deal happen.

keylime_5
08-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Chargers love to build through the draft. They bring in decent veterans like Takeo Spikes or Randy McMichael sometimes. The only big name I can remember them signing that sticks out to me is Donnie Edwards, but that was a long time ago. Under AJ Smith it's been all about the draft.

CC.SD
08-05-2011, 12:12 AM
don't forget David Boston and Marcellus Wiley...

J-Mike88
08-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I picked Kansas City last year, actually. No proof, but I wouldn't just make that up..
Aside from proof, or a post made prior to last September, the only people I believe that would be those who took the generous odds and wagered on it.

I haven't read the posts since this one ^, but Charles Woodson was injury-prone, broken down, and unwanted when Oakland discarded him about 5 years ago. That turned out like buying a stock at $3 and selling for $100.

Not sure little Bob can stay healthy, but nobody expected Woodson to be that durable, last that long, and be that great. The thing is, he always was great. I think Sanders is too.

Great risk for the Bolts. I hope it pays off, except on Nov 6th when I will be there at the Packers game there at the Murph.

Da-Phins
08-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah he will do good for them.....for the 5 games he plays.

Nalej
08-07-2011, 10:17 AM
With Ty Warren being cut... I find the S.Ellis move to be an underrated move that could pay dividends.
He's old and not the player he once was but he can still contribute and that's saying more than some of the depth on the roster right now. I love the move.

Pending physical, I believe.

bigbluedefense
08-07-2011, 10:36 AM
I think Norv Turner isn't nearly as bad of a coach as people think.

AJ knew he needed to keep Cam Cameron's offense for his team to be successful. What better way to do that than to get Norv Turner, the man who taught Cam Cameron?