Junior Seau
Rodney Harrison
Randy Moss
Albert Haynesworth
Chad Ochocinci/Johnson now.....

And I forgetting some others?

Phenomenal day for Pats Nation.
Congrats.
Nice trade. I admire them for having balls to make trades like these two today.... same with the Dolphins getting Bush so cheap.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Chad Johnson ?? Who ??

Jimmy
http://static.tumblr.com/ufkaxdx/f1clonqlj/me_gusta_2.png

SickwithIt1010
Who is Chad Johnson?

Splat
07-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Should be interesting.

hockey619
07-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Who is Chad Johnson?

he changed his name back

Brothgar
Who is Chad Johnson?

I believe it is the WR formerly known as Chad Ochocinco.

BTW

VIA Chad's Twitter.

God is so Good

Raiderz4Life
Chad Johnson....is that the RB for the Titans??? lol

J-Mike88
07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Should be interesting.
Didn't he say he was legally going back to Johnson?

Anyway, congrats to Pats fans AND to Chad for escaping that hell-hole of an organization.

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
he changed his name back

The AFC East will be to pretty fun to watch this year. GO BILLS !!!!

Complex
07-28-2011, 04:58 PM
The Patriots have brought in castoffs from:

Corey Dillon
Junior Seau
Rodney Harrison
Randy Moss
Albert Haynesworth

Congrats.
Nice trade. I admire them for having balls to make trades like these two today.... same with the Dolphins getting Bush so cheap.

Johnathan Lamar Sullivan

Ness
07-28-2011, 04:58 PM
The Patriots have brought in castoffs from:

Corey Dillon
Junior Seau
Rodney Harrison
Randy Moss
Albert Haynesworth

Congrats.

Now that I think of it it might not work out with Chad. I'm guessing it will, but they have brought in players before like Chad Scott and Fred Taylor who haven't amounted to anything more than they did with their previous teams. Chad isn't that old for a receiver though and if he works hard he can do it.

Splat
07-28-2011, 05:00 PM
This would have been alot cooler 3-4 years ago.

Jvig43
07-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Now that I think of it it might not work out with Chad. I'm guessing it will, but they have brought in players before like Chad Scott and Fred Taylor who haven't amounted to anything more than they did with their previous teams. Chad isn't that old for a receiver though and if he works hard he can do it.

We didn't go out and trade for those guys tho, we picked fred taylor up and that was simply for an extra body and a vet who knew not to make mistakes. Not comparable to this.

descendency
07-28-2011, 05:02 PM
I think I need a diaper, because I just ****'d myself.

Wow. Welcome Mr. 8 5. Glad to have you (and no more rumors of Randy Moss)

Jvig43
07-28-2011, 05:03 PM
I think I need a diaper, because I just ****'d myself.

Wow. Welcome Mr. 8 5. Glad to have you (and no more rumors of Randy Moss)

On the contrary, I think we should go out and get Moss back now :D

Nalej
07-28-2011, 05:04 PM
I haven't felt this good since the Pats traded a 4th rounder for Randy Moss

themaninblack
07-28-2011, 05:05 PM
If we even get anything in return this is a good day. Sign AJ, goodbye Ocho!

keylime_5
07-28-2011, 05:05 PM
they were the best team in the regular season last year, making some good moves so far. the next thing they have to do is sign matt roth, who is a perfect fit at LOLB, and hope Jermaine Cunningham develops into a decent pass rusher this year.

tjsunstein
07-28-2011, 05:08 PM
A newly motivated Chad paired up with Brady will be tough. Change of scenery was best for 85.

descendency
07-28-2011, 05:08 PM
On the contrary, I think we should go out and get Moss back now :D

The Jets (could) have Revis + Asomugha... the Patriots could have Moss + CJ85.

Nalej
07-28-2011, 05:09 PM
they were the best team in the regular season last year, making some good moves so far. the next thing they have to do is sign matt roth, who is a perfect fit at LOLB, and hope Jermaine Cunningham develops into a decent pass rusher this year.

I hope so!

Jvig43
07-28-2011, 05:09 PM
The Jets (could) have Revis + Asomugha... the Patriots could have Moss + CJ85.

Exactly what I was thinking, plus welker, branch, and Gronk. That'd be pretty sweet.

PackerLegend
07-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Is this really that much different then when the Pats got Randy Moss? Moss was 30 while Chad is going on 33. Its a good move and this should be a different player then he ended up being in the Cincy. This isnt the same team that they had when Moss was around but Moss got them exactly 0 superbowl wins. He did help to put up a hell of a year though. Hopefully Chad doesnt do that.

bigbluedefense
07-28-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry but this is a terrible pick up. First and foremost, Chad is washed up. He's not the same player he used to be.

On top of that, Chad is one of the worst route runners in the league. He's constantly running the wrong routes and getting Palmer INTs.

On top of that, the Pats run a choice route offense, which requires very smart WRs who change their route according to the defense, so how does Chad fit in this? Horrible fit.

On top of that, you have a guy who is a loud mouth who is the anti-Patriot in how he approaches every week. How is that going to work?

I know everyone wants to say wow, what a great move. But I think the opposite. I don't like this move for the Patriots.

The Haynesworth move can work. I don't think this move will work at all.

Nalej
07-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Chad Johnson > B.Tate and T.Price

I wonder what number he'll wear. A.Hernandez wears OchoCinco

ryno626
07-28-2011, 05:29 PM
What does this mean for Tate and Price?

descendency
07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
What does this mean for Tate and Price?

Tate plays special teams. Price may need to get his act together. Maybe the patriots will carry an extra WR this year...

nepg
07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm sorry but this is a terrible pick up. First and foremost, Chad is washed up. He's not the same player he used to be.

On top of that, Chad is one of the worst route runners in the league. He's constantly running the wrong routes and getting Palmer INTs.

On top of that, the Pats run a choice route offense, which requires very smart WRs who change their route according to the defense, so how does Chad fit in this? Horrible fit.

On top of that, you have a guy who is a loud mouth who is the anti-Patriot in how he approaches every week. How is that going to work?

I know everyone wants to say wow, what a great move. But I think the opposite. I don't like this move for the Patriots.

The Haynesworth move can work. I don't think this move will work at all.
I'm thinking you've never seen anything BB or 85 have ever said about or to each other... Chad is an amazing fit for the Patriots and wants to be on this team more than anything he's ever wanted in his life.

I don't see how anyone can bash anything the Pats have done this off-season. They're bringing back virtually their ENTIRE team from last year. The guys they're picking up are in addition to what they already had that won 14 games...

V.I.P
07-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Chad Johnson > B.Tate and T.Price

I wonder what number he'll wear. A.Hernandez wears OchoCinco

Maybe he will but 85 from him, i really can't see him wearing another number.

gpngc
07-28-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm thinking you've never seen anything BB or 85 have ever said about or to each other... Chad is an amazing fit for the Patriots and wants to be on this team more than anything he's ever wanted in his life.

I don't see how anyone can bash anything the Pats have done this off-season. They're bringing back virtually their ENTIRE team from last year. The guys they're picking up are in addition to what they already had that won 14 games...

It is true.

For some reason BB has always loved 85 even though he comes off as the anti-Patriot.

From strictly a talent standpoint it makes sense though. He's surely better than Deion Branch at this point.

D-Unit
07-28-2011, 06:59 PM
The Patriots cannot do no wrong. They could've signed Connan the Barbarian or Connan the talk show host. People would praise them either way. They haven't won the SB in a while. What they do does not garner my praise until they make something happen. Randy Moss was supposed to win a SB there wasn't he?

Jimmy
07-28-2011, 07:05 PM
The Patriots cannot do no wrong. They could've signed Connan the Barbarian or Connan the talk show host. People would praise them either way. They haven't won the SB in a while. What they do does not garner my praise until they make something happen. Randy Moss was supposed to win a SB there wasn't he?

Most teams don't have a world class head coach and a history of turning players around. What they did was sign two players, who at one point, were the premeir players at their position in the NFL. Whether or not the Pats have won a superbowl in x years has very little do with the fact that when they get a project type player, they turn him around.

Randy Moss had the best season in WR history that year... so not to put words in your mouth.. but it wasn't his fault. It was on the rest of the team.

Splat
07-28-2011, 07:06 PM

It's been 7 years.

ElectricEye
07-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Eh. I think it helps. You have to tamper your expectations. Even though Chad has slowed down, he can still get open against man coverage. We have no one on our roster who can do that at the moment. Bringing that added dimension makes us a lot harder to contain. This move isn't about star power, it's about roster diversity. Chad wants to play for Bill really bad for whatever reason, so if he's willing to buy into the system and work on routes, it could work. Certainly not going to remind anyone of Jimmy Smith, but if we sell him on extending his career by maintaining more focus and running crisper routes, it could work.

Pat Sims 90
07-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Thank u God i did not want him any where near AJ.

Good Luck Chad it was fun when ur were here.

wordofi
07-28-2011, 09:52 PM
I think this is another good move for the Patriots. Brady showed what he could do when he had a weapon in Randy Moss. Johnson won't be as good, but he'll still be good and will compliment Welker.

niel89
07-29-2011, 01:07 AM
I think its a solid move. He is an upgrade for the WRs and he will be on his best behavior now that he is on a team that will make him happy. I think that he will be a postive addition to the Pats.

Bengalsrocket
07-29-2011, 05:19 AM
I don't want to sound like a bitter Bengals fan, so I won't :P I always liked Chad (even when he was asking for trade requests several years ago and everyone in Cincinnati hated him). I think he's really entertaining; not just on the field but off the field too. He frequently would send out tweets for everyone to come to whatever restaurant or bar he was at and then buy drinks / whole meals for everyone (or the first X people to show up anyways).

On the field, he would sometimes run poor routes / give up on plays, but a change might fix that. Either way, I'm happy for him in New England and I'm glad to start a new era in Cincinnati.

Jamaal-Football
07-29-2011, 05:23 AM
I really hope Aaron Hernandez sticks to his guns and keeps his jersey number, just so that blubbering idiot would be forced to wear something other than 85. And i'd laugh all season long.

YAYareaRB
07-29-2011, 09:53 AM
end of an era man. when i thought of the bengals i automatically thought of chad. serious rebuilding time in cincy. fire the gm!! trade palmer

PoopSandwich
07-29-2011, 10:14 AM

It's not exactly like they were chumps, Moss and Brady set records and the team was undefeated minus what was essentially one hard fought game and one fluke play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/06/01/decade/index.html

There is a reason why people give them a sort of blind respect, they took what looked like a washed up Randy Moss and turned him into having the best statistical season for a receiver ever. I don't think Chad will be AMAZING but I can definitely see him putting up over 1,000 yards.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I think everyone is giving this the benefit of the doubt just bc it's the Patriots.

But when you look at it, it just doesn't fit. This isn't Randy Moss. Moss fit the system, and while he was a problem child, he had a lot more in the tank and was a much better route runner on the field.

Chad isn't who he used to be. He's not. Do you think the Jets are scared of this move? I don't think so. Chad can't catch anything on Revis or Cro (or Aso if they bring him in).

nepg
07-29-2011, 10:29 AM
No one's comparing it to the Moss situation (or they shouldn't be). They're completely different players. Chad works in this situation because he fits the actual system, is an upgrade opposite Branch, and is genuinely motivated and excited to play for this team.

He's been trying to get to New England for 4 years. He won't let it be a failure.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
How does he fit the system? Bc it's assumed he can go deep?

Not anymore he can't. Not consistently at least. Plus for this system, you have to be a precise route runner who can run the runnshoot route tree. Chad struggled running the traditional route tree, I can't see him running the choice route tree.

Unless they change the system for Chad, ie, give him traditional routes and only have Welker and others run choice routes, this won't work at all. Good luck teaching Chad how to read a defense and adjusting his route to the coverage.

I honestly could care less if he wanted to go to NE forever. I need a better reason than that to believe this will work. Bc the evidence suggests the opposite.

The only counter arguments I've heard so far is

1. It's the Patriotzzz
2. Bellichick knows what he's getting himself into
3. Chad won't fail bc he wants to play for the Patriotzzzz
4. It's worked before so it will work again.

Take a step back and look at that. You can't tell me those are legit reasons.

cmarq83
07-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I think everyone is giving this the benefit of the doubt just bc it's the Patriots.

But when you look at it, it just doesn't fit. This isn't Randy Moss. Moss fit the system, and while he was a problem child, he had a lot more in the tank and was a much better route runner on the field.

Chad isn't who he used to be. He's not. Do you think the Jets are scared of this move? I don't think so. Chad can't catch anything on Revis or Cro (or Aso if they bring him in).

Randy Moss ran 3 routes. I wouldn't call him by any stretch of the imagination a good route runner. I think most patriots fans don't have any illusions of grandeur for OchoCinco, but at the very least this guy is going to contribute in the passing game. He may not be a 1400yd. guy anymore, but at the very least he gives them more depth, and someone who can still beat most corners in man coverage.

He won't be able to beat Asomugha or Revis, but unless they were to swing a trade for Calvin, Fitzgerald, or AJ that wasn't going to happen anyways. For a 6th and a 7th rounder this was a pretty decent deal.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Randy Moss ran 3 routes. I wouldn't call him by any stretch of the imagination a good route runner. I think most patriots fans don't have any illusions of grandeur for OchoCinco, but at the very least this guy is going to contribute in the passing game. He may not be a 1400yd. guy anymore, but at the very least he gives them more depth, and someone who can still beat most corners in man coverage.

He won't be able to beat Asomugha or Revis, but unless they were to swing a trade for Calvin, Fitzgerald, or AJ that wasn't going to happen anyways. For a 6th and a 7th rounder this was a pretty decent deal.

Then you're not understanding the choice route offense. Brandon Lloyd ran 3 routes last year, the streak, the curl, and the skinny post. That's what the choice route offense is. If they play off and give a ton of space, run the curl. If they play you inside, run the streak. If they play you outside run the skinny post between the CB and safety.

No one mastered route adjustments better than Moss. Why do you think he was so effective running 9 routes? Bc he had the talent, but also the intelligence to adjust his routes to take advantage of his gifts.

Brady said he was the smartest WR he's ever met. This^ is why. Moss was built to play in the choice route offense. He knows how to adjust his routes to take advantage of the defense.

Moss ran basically 8 routes depending on the coverage. Streak, Skinny post, Skinny fade, Curl out, Curl in, Curl straight back, square in and square out.

That's why people don't understand his "jogging"

If he ran full sprint from the start of the hike, he's so fast he wouldn't be able to properly see the defense fall into their coverages and he wouldn't be able to adjust his route accordingly.

He "jogs", waits for the defense to set, then explodes into his route, or if it's too late bc Brady already threw it, it looks like he took a play off.

But when you're running 20+ yard routes every play, that happens every now and then.

ElectricEye
07-29-2011, 11:12 AM

I don't think many people south of Andre Johnson and the other elite receivers of the NFL can. Our problem is that we don't have anyone on the roster who is even a serious threat on the sidelines against ANYONE, let alone Revis/Cro/Aso. All we're doing here is bringing in another target who can at least threaten against man coverage. I fully expect Welker to have a more productive year than Chad and he might really be the third option down the stretch and in crunch time(maybe even the 5th down by the goal line).

The reasoning this is a beneficial move is fairly simple; he brings something to the table that we don't have. I don't think he was the best guy to bring that dimension in, I would have personally preferred to address it through the draft or free agency(preferably one of the bigger receivers available, I was hot to trot on Malcolm Floyd personally), but at least it brings someone in who won't be able to be neutralized by clogging the middle of the field. Someone to account for more than ten yards consistently brings a whole ton of value to the table. Doesn't make us better against the Jets specifically, but the reason we lost to the Jets didn't have to do with wide receiver production entirely. Piece of the puzzle for sure, but a more focused team that didn't get out-coached wins that game.

D-Unit
07-29-2011, 12:08 PM
I forgot to add.... Patriots fans also think their team can do no wrong.

haha. Just playin'. I think the same goes for many teams' fans. I was talking about the receptiveness of the players going to NE. I didn't say I didn't like the moves for them. Chad will do well there. I'm sure enough that he'll be a top target for me in fantasy. I'll tell you that. Not sure what the Pats are paying Haynesworth, but that dude plays good when motivated. I don't think he respected Shanny in WAS. But his stock has taken such a dive, he's probably going to shut up and dance to whatever song Belichick is singing that day.

YAYareaRB
07-29-2011, 02:49 PM
i dont get the route running issue big blue. i always thought chad was a good route runner, especially with his speed declining. he has excellent foot work. i would go far as saying current patriot, deion branch, is no better a route runner than chad

ElectricEye
07-29-2011, 03:01 PM
i dont get the route running issue big blue. i always thought chad was a good route runner, especially with his speed declining. he has excellent foot work. i would go far as saying current patriot, deion branch, is no better a route runner than chad

To be honest with you; I don't either. I'm not trying to paint Chad as a super A+ acquisition or anything, but I don't see huge problems with him as a route runner. I know he has some problems running the wrong routes sometimes. I've heard communication problems with him and Palmer on more than one occasion, but in terms of footwork I don't see it as a huge weakness either. Not that he's profoundly good with it either, but in terms of cuts he seems adequate.

Malaka
07-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't BBD was talking about his footwork and cuts. I am pretty sure it was the fact that, like you just said, he runs the wrong routes. That's huge it completely throws the QB off and leads to many unnecessary turnovers. See Manning, Eli and the Giants receiving corp.

V.I.P
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Maybe he will buy 85 from him, i really can't see him wearing another number.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/28/chad-ochocinco-new-england-patriots-nfl-cincinnati-bengals-jersey-number/

Nalej
07-29-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/28/chad-ochocinco-new-england-patriots-nfl-cincinnati-bengals-jersey-number/

To go along with that...

"It looks like there have been two deals made. The Patriots acquiring Ochocinco and Ochocinco acquiring No. 85," Reiss said

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4698662/video-ochocinco-practicing-in-no-85

Jamaal-Football
07-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I woulda asked for 100k.

Pat Sims 90
07-30-2011, 01:46 AM
The problem with Chad's route running and i have watched this the last couple years with him. Is if Chad is not getting the ball often and early then he gets lazy and wont run the right route plus not trying hard and then u will see Brady throwing more Turnovers and bad throws. As long as Chad is getting the Ball thrown to him atleast half the time it will work out if not u will see Brady getting more and more Frustraded with Chad.

YAYareaRB
07-30-2011, 02:03 PM
i dont think thats gonna fly in New England. im sure he'll be benched for behavior like that.

ElectricEye
07-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Brady doesn't play that ****. I can tell you that right away. Sometimes when guys even drop a pass, it's see you next week.

Brown Leader
07-31-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't see how Chad, at this point, is any better or even as good as Moss. Why not just re sign Randy and let him finish as a Patriot? In fact, I still don't quite get why Moss was cut in the first place.

Jvig43
07-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I would love for us to resign Moss actually. I understand cutting him, all along it was known that if he became a head ache he was gone. I think he learned his lesson.

Nalej
bc he kept publicly bitching about his contract issue. BB doesn't play that.
I would have loved Moss back but I guess BB just isn't going down that path again
rather gamble on another player... who's under contract for 3 yrs but realistically can be cut whenever with little cap penalty

AntoinCD
I don't see how Chad, at this point, is any better or even as good as Moss. Why not just re sign Randy and let him finish as a Patriot? In fact, I still don't quite get why Moss was cut in the first place.

Reports are that Moss was started to bring an unwanted element into the locker room. His play also dipped quite significantly at the start of the year. The whole interview he gave after the win against the Bengals week 1 just screamed late Minnesota Randy Moss.

The thing with Ocho is, he's a goofball, a drama queen and a media *****...but he's not going to be a disruptive force in the locker room.

descendency
07-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Moss was obviously dogging it on the field. if you watch the game tape... you'll see it.

Ness
08-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Reports are that Moss was started to bring an unwanted element into the locker room. His play also dipped quite significantly at the start of the year. The whole interview he gave after the win against the Bengals week 1 just screamed late Minnesota Randy Moss.

The thing with Ocho is, he's a goofball, a drama queen and a media *****...but he's not going to be a disruptive force in the locker room.
What a moron. Why would you want to cause chaos on the Patriots. Does this guy even care about a championship?

Ness
08-01-2011, 02:30 AM
I would love for us to resign Moss actually. I understand cutting him, all along it was known that if he became a head ache he was gone. I think he learned his lesson.

Moss has never learned anything since 1998. He's always going to be the same old Randy.

Razor
08-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Before getting 85 I was all for getting Moss back. I still think he has a lot left to offer some lucky team, but with 85 here I just don't see the need for him. As long as Moss doesn't go to the Jets I'm fine...