PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Watch Thread ('11-'12 Season)

Pages : [1] 2 3

V.I.P
07-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Training Camp/Pre-season picture thread is going to get busy pretty soon, thought i'd make this to sort everythiung out. Plus it's alot easier to stay updated on the rooks. Samething as last season, go !!!

Bucs rookie Da'Quan Bowers debuts, jumps in at full speed

One of the biggest storylines of the 2011 draft was the precipitous fall of former Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers, a projected top-5 pick who fell to the Bucs at No. 51 because of a much-scrutinized January knee surgery.

Friday, in a fast-paced helmet-less practice at One Buc Place, Bowers showed explosion and showed no lingering effects, even taking some snaps with the first-team defense at left end.

And Bowers cleared the air immediately after the workout, declaring himself healthy and ready to go.

I feel great, Bowers said. Im getting used to this Florida heat and humidity, but other than that, I feel good. Im flying around to the ball and taking reps and getting my work in, did the individual stuff and I havent been held out (any drills). Im just ready to start the season.

Bowers was the subject of endless debate before the draft, with many teams saying they did not want to take the risk of drafting him because of the uncertainty surrounding his knee injury. But Bowers was a phenom at Clemson, leading the nation last season with 16 sacks in 2010.

Nothing he showed Friday suggested he cant be the player most projected hed be prior to the surgery. Now, Bowers will attempt to make teams that passed on him have regrets.

Im definitely hungry, he said. Ten defensive ends went before me. Thirty-one teams passed up on me. So, I have 31 points to make. Im going to do it by working hard and helping my team and getting ready.

tjsunstein
07-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Well, all 32 GMs look dumb if he stays healthy.

BaLLiN
07-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Well, all 32 GMs look dumb if he stays healthy.

31 GMs, 1 GM looks really good because he nabbed him more than a round later.

tjsunstein
07-29-2011, 01:32 PM
31 GMs, 1 GM looks really good because he nabbed him more than a round later.
Passed on him originally. He's lucky, not good, that it turned out the way it did.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Passed on him originally. He's lucky, not good, that it turned out the way it did.

Does that make Bill Walsh lucky for finding Joe Montana and Jerry Rice? He had enough questions about him to warrant a fall although he free fell further than i would have guessed.

hawkeye123
07-29-2011, 05:56 PM
7th round pick Curtis Holcomb is out for the year

mattbarrowsMatt Barrows

More bad #49ers news: 7th round pick Curtis Holcomb ruptured his Achilles tendon Thurs. CB will have surgery and is likely out for season.

phlysac
07-29-2011, 08:48 PM
7th round pick Curtis Holcomb is out for the year

At least we don't need any Cornerbacks...

*inches even closer to the ledge*

YAYareaRB
07-29-2011, 09:13 PM
At least we don't need any Cornerbacks...

*inches even closer to the ledge*

*gives you a pat on the back for encouragement, accidentally pushing you all the way over*

sorry mate haha

Unbiased
07-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Gabbert getting a lot of TC buzz. I know it's only the 2nd practice, but I'll try to stay on top of the updates. Could be a tight battle with Garrard in the preseason.

phlysac
07-29-2011, 09:25 PM
*gives you a pat on the back for encouragement, accidentally pushing you all the way over*

sorry mate haha

Our starting defensive backfield currently...

CB - Shawntae Spencer
CB - Tarell Brown
SS - Reggie Smith
FS - C.J. Spillman

SUPER BOWL!!!!

YAYareaRB
07-29-2011, 09:28 PM

CB - Shawntae Spencer
CB - Tarell Brown
SS - Reggie Smith
FS - C.J. Spillman

SUPER BOWL!!!!

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/9128026.jpg

49ersfan_87
07-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Coach Harbaugh on Kaepernick

Kaepernick has the biggest arm of the bunch, and Harbaugh praised him today not
only for how prepared he was - those Camp Alexes definitely paid off, Harbaugh
said - but for the way he ran practice and completed passes down field.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/07/camp-notes-why.html#ixzz1TYKWwRpV

I would love it if he was ready enough to start as a rookie. Lets see how he progresses.

phlysac
07-29-2011, 09:56 PM
I would love it if he was ready enough to start as a rookie.

Ugh. 49ers fans have divided into factions. Those that want CK to start and those that want to "Suck for Luck."

keylime_5
07-29-2011, 10:36 PM
aren't they still in shorts and shells? i don't wanna hear about how good or bad any player looks until they start tackling.

fenikz
07-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Ugh. 49ers fans have divided into factions. Those that want CK to start and those that want to "Suck for Luck."

aren't they the same thing :D

49erNation85
07-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I still would not want to start CK until mid season and the earliest if Alex can't get the team going or have a winning record by week 10.He still has that holding snap thing like any other spread QB coming into a pro system but he should learn quickly.The big is a nice bonus from him as well.If he can be accurate and use that big arm of his to win games I'm all for him starting next season just give Alex one more or until obvious we can't make the play offs etc or what ever the case may be.But for now.Stay with number 11.As Keylime said it ain't nothing until full pads and mid tackling.But a good sing to see he is progressing well!

49ersfan_87
07-29-2011, 11:08 PM

I don't think we'll be #1 pick bad. We may not be good, but we won't be that bad. I see 5-6 wins, but wouldn't be shocked with 8-9. I'd prefer it to be with Kaepernick because he's the QBOTF, but i'll take it with Alex too.

phlysac
07-29-2011, 11:14 PM
aren't they the same thing :D

I know you make lulz but I actually agree.

I'm one of the few that still thinks that an actual modern offensive system and average (Alex Smith) QB play will compete in the division. My fear is the defense. But what do I know?

DoughBoy
07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
jwyattsports Jim Wyatt
Locker definitely a hit or miss guy. He's made some really nice throws, but he's been way off on others #Titans

Not surprising, I liked Locker coming out but I was in the camp that thought its best for him to sit a year or two and work with his footwork and decision making. He is one of those guys that needs to take the Aaron Rodgers/Phillip Rivers approach to the NFL and not the Matt Ryan/Sam Bradford road.

Also hearing Jurrell Casey is running with the ones... it will be interesting to see if keeps it when Shaun Smith comes in to start at the nose. And Akeem Ayers is supposedly showing explosion and intensity in camp, cant wait to see how he does when the pads go on.

BaLLiN
07-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Daniel Thomas seems like he has alot of opportunity to break out w/ the dolphins

Flyboy
07-31-2011, 09:46 PM

CB - Shawntae Spencer
CB - Tarell Brown
SS - Reggie Smith
FS - C.J. Spillman

SUPER BOWL!!!!

No Taylor Mays...?

V.I.P
07-31-2011, 09:58 PM
FIRST WEEK, TRAINING CAMP BREAKDOWN:

Da'Quan Bowers - has been looking BEASTLY all week. Can't wait to see how he does tomorrow in pads!

Adrian Clayborn - looks GREAT against the 2nd stringers then not so great going up against Donald Penn. Don't know what to make of that, since Penn is awesome, and all :)

Mason Foster - looks alright. He broke up a perfectly thrown ball to Winslow today. Very good in coverage.

Luke Stocker - Injured :/ out for 2 weeks....

49ersfan_87
07-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Aldon Smith had a good showing in todays TC practice

Sunday's was the first practice in full pads, although there was no live
tackling. That meant that offensive and defensive linemen went against each
other in one-on-one pass-rush drills. The highlight was first-round draft pick
Aldon Smith, (http://topics.sacbee.com/Aldon+Smith/) who beat three
different offensive linemen.
Smith got past fellow rookie Mike Person (http://topics.sacbee.com/Mike+Person/) with a powerful
inside swim move that should be familiar to anyone who watched him at Missouri. (http://topics.sacbee.com/Missouri/) He also bull-rushed Alex Boone, (http://topics.sacbee.com/Alex+Boone/) knocking the big
right tackle back several steps. (Boone got the better of Smith on the
rematch). Smith also got around the outside of starting left tackle Joe Staley. (http://topics.sacbee.com/Joe+Staley/) In all, a promising
full-pads debut for the rookie.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/07/camp-notebook-g.html#ixzz1TkFQ3KEY

Kendall Hunter also looked good. Colin Kaepernick is a mixed bag right now.

Colin Kaepernick. By my count he was 15-23 with one interception and one fumbled snap in 11-on-11 scrimmages. He connected with Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker repeatedly on crossing routes and deep outs. Kaepernick makes throwing downfield look easy – every throw is a line drive. On out routes he gets the ball to the sideline in a hurry. However, he’s inconsistent with his accuracy on shorter routes so far.
Kendall Hunter. He’s quick, he makes decisive cuts, he gets up field quickly, he doesn’t dance in the back field, and he broke off a few runs of over 20 yards.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/07/training-camp/day-3-practice-assessment/

49erNation85
07-31-2011, 11:24 PM
49ersfan_87 ,
Thanks for the update!Glad to hear our rookies are showing promise some what.Good to here Kaepernick is doing good on deep routes I'm sure he short routes need a lot of work which is why he work start this year.I also like his arm power too should be fun to watch in preseason to see how he does.Liking Aldon Smith a lot more since he does seem to have be a tough fellow.I just wish I feel better about our QB starter :(

Ness
07-31-2011, 11:30 PM
However, hes inconsistent with his accuracy on shorter routes so far.

Ugggh. Same ******* problem Alex Smith has. All I ask is that he doesn't rocket it into a receiver's hands on a short route resulting in a bounce, which of course results in a turnover.

phlysac
07-31-2011, 11:32 PM
No Taylor Mays...?

Not with the 1st team on day one...

New 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said only "two or three" starting spots are nailed down on defense and that he is holding an open audition this summer to fill the rest.

On Friday, for example, the starting safeties were C.J. Spillman, who mostly played on special teams last season, and Reggie Smith. On Saturday, the starting tandem was Smith and Taylor Mays.

Smith said all of the team's safeties were likely to get a chance to start.

"It's a fair playing field right now," Smith said. "Everybody's going to get their reps."
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/07/31/3806277/49ers-notes-plenty-of-open-starting.html

phlysac
07-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Ugggh. Same ******* problem Alex Smith has. All I ask is that he doesn't rocket it into a receiver's hands on a short route resulting in a bounce, which of course results in a turnover.

It's the same for nearly every quarterback. All of the QB analysts mention it during games. When gauging arm strength they always say the difficult throws are the deep outs. When discussing accuracy they always say the short, touch throws are the most difficult.

tjsunstein
07-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Derek Sherrod is working at LG with the 1s. LT with the 2s.

Ness
07-31-2011, 11:57 PM
It's the same for nearly every quarterback. All of the QB analysts mention it during games. When gauging arm strength they always say the difficult throws are the deep outs. When discussing accuracy they always say the short, touch throws are the most difficult.

Well Smith has it on an entirely new level of bad. Hopefully Kapernick doesn't have this same setback.

igglefanz
08-01-2011, 03:14 AM
Now this article a bit late posting here but being a big fan of this pick.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Castillo-Matthews-A-Natural-Leader/2a2367a5-bb1f-40c6-aef4-e236bfe36202

This doesn't mean that he will be opening day starter but its exciting to see for the future. He also put on weight while working out with his brother Clay I think he weighed in at combine at 231 and was 245 at opening of camp. His biggest knock is that he struggles to get off blocks/isn't strong enough so hopefully that extra weight helps him there.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I know it's training camp, and every one is a future All Pro, but I have to admit to getting a little excited by this...

According to NFL Net's Mike Mayock, Julio Jones "may already be the most impressive player" in #Falcons camp. Mayock is in Flowery Branch.

Matt Ryan told Mayock: Julio Jones is "stepping on these corners' toes in a heartbeat. I have to get the ball out more quickly."

keylime_5
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Jones is gonna be a beast. This year's WR class is killer. I expect big things out of Green, Jones, Baldwin, Little, and Cobb. Jerrigan and Titus Young I think will be really solid too. Also, Dane Sanzenbacher is perfect for Mike Martz's offense as a slot receiver.

DoughBoy
08-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Our beat writers impression of our rookies today-

jwyattsports Jim Wyatt
Akeem Ayers continuing to look like a beast at times. He just blew up TE Craig Stevens, and that's not an easy thing to do. #Titans

#Titans clearly going to take advantage of Locker's mobility. Seeing a lot of roll-outs for him already. He looks smooth rolling out

Jurrell Casey has been unblockable on rush up middle vs 1st team line

etk
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Derek Sherrod is working at LG with the 1s. LT with the 2s.

Beast and steal...

AntoinCD
08-01-2011, 06:22 PM
So far the top 3 rookies for the Pats aren't signed yet which is kinda disappointing, especially since Dowling and Vereen should contribute early. Otherwise not much to report. Mallett is still behind Hoyer for the back up role and I doubt that changes this season, although the team felt confident enough to cut Jonathon Crompton. And Marcus Cannon is in camp which is fantastic news.

RaiderNation
08-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Shouldn't it be '11-'12 season?

Also I'm calling it, Taiwan Jones will lead the league in rushing... during the pre season

V.I.P
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Shouldn't it be '11-'12 season?

Yes it should be, hopefully a mod fixes it. Didn't even notice till now.

cvv84
08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Beast and steal...

He isn't a beast yet but I do think he is going to end up being a steal for us. He reminds me alot of Chad Clifton - a guy who can anchor the position for 10+ years with little to no reconization.

Also for the Packers

For the Packers:

Randall Cobb looks to be the favorite to return kicks, has an explosive first step.

D.J. Williams is turning heads, looks great so far and being used alot in a WR role. Could end up being another matchup weapon for us.

OzTitan
08-01-2011, 07:33 PM

I'd be impressed with Casey blowing up the 1sts interior if it weren't for the fact most DTs seemed to last season.

V.I.P
08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Totally forgot that re-signed free agents can't practice till Thurs. So that explains why Bowers has been lookin so beastly, he's going against scrubs :/

Clayborn is working against Penn (a top LT) and has looked ok. When going against any backup he is dominating them.

GaMeTiMe
08-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Who's the one rookie on your team that you know already will be looked back on as a draft day steal? The guy that's just come in and fit in, "gotten it", and even if he isn't a day-one starter looks to be the future at his position.

For the Eagles I'd have to say Jaiquawn Jarrett. He's going to be forced into the role but with the corners doing their thing he'll be able to play to his strengths closer to the line of scrimmage.

Matthew Jones
08-02-2011, 08:20 AM
I've heard some good things about Lee Smith in Patriots camp. Supposedly has made a few nice catches and is blocking well. Should be Alge Crumpler's replacement this year.

49erNation85
08-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I honestly think it might be Aldon Smith for us 49ers.I never would of thought he would be performing so good be he actually is.Even though I hated the pick because it was so dam high for him IMO.But he is growing on me so we will see how he improves in pre season in real game time speed.

VernonLawson89
08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Joe Staley on Aldon Smith

49ers LT Joe Staley on Aldon Smith: "Aldon, man, he's impressed me. He's multi-dimensional as a pass-rusher." He sees why he was 7th pick

Staley added that in addition to long arms, Aldon is very strong. "He put a move on me the other day and I couldn't even touch him."

Splat
08-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Justin Houston is on my **** list.

How a 3rd round draft pick is not in camp by now is stupid...

V.I.P
08-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Who's the one rookie on your team that you know already will be looked back on as a draft day steal? The guy that's just come in and fit in, "gotten it", and even if he isn't a day-one starter looks to be the future at his position.

Mason ******* Foster !!! Currently battling for the MLB starting job, he looks like a steal so far!

Unbiased
08-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Jags rookie updates

Cecil Shorts looks to have the inside track as the slot WR.

Gabbert will get 1st team reps in preseason so check that out. The week 2 game against Atlanta will be on Fox.

Chris Prosinski is the favorite to start at FS.

Will Rackley has a good shot to start at LG after the release of Manuwai. Will probably battle with Jason Spitz.

Rod Issac may only see time on FG coverage team. Was thought to be the nickle CB until we signed Drew Coleman

I can't wait until the season where only the top pick is projected to start.

BlindSite
08-02-2011, 09:55 PM
So training camp being what it is and every man and his dog looking amazing something is starting to become clear in Carolina.

Cam Newton has been getting more and more reps with the first team offense and looks the part of the leader, slapping helmets encouraging guys, firing up the offense while pickles looks like someone killed his dog.

Kalil and other members of the offense have been pretty vocal in their praise as far as his handle on the playbook and running plays from under center, both of which were a concern.

A beat writer with a known connection to the team also pointed out that DA was signed merely to help the other guys Pickles and Newton digest the playbook.

The feeling, generally is that while it might not be so on paper the team is looking to hand the reigns to Newton from day one.

Complex
08-02-2011, 11:34 PM

Akeem Ayers better be beasting because I wanted Bruce Carter.

VernonLawson89
08-03-2011, 12:46 AM
More on Aldon Smith....

■Aldon Smith. He lined up at right outside linebacker with the first team defense and he was in Colin Kaepernicks face repeatedly. On one play he beat Joe Staley badly to the inside.

no bare feet
08-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Justin Houston is on my **** list.

How a 3rd round draft pick is not in camp by now is stupid...

He is too busy with medicinal products

AntoinCD
08-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Vereen and Dowling both in camp now. Vereen looks quite impressive catching the ball and has shown very good explosion. A little suspect in pass pro at the moment though.

Dowling has been very impressive in press coverage yesterday with the only CB reportedly having a better day was Bodden which is also good news.

K Train
08-03-2011, 08:09 AM
do to injuries and players like ike and *** not being able to practice til tomorrow, curtis brown is getting first team reps

YEAH BABY

VernonLawson89
08-03-2011, 06:39 PM
More on Aldon... Dude is lighting it up in camp.

mattbarrows: At the risk of going overboard after a few days of training camp, Aldon Smith looks dominant. Just put 250-lb FB Moran Norris on his back.

RaiderNation
08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Joseph Barksdale is looking impressive, looks to probably be starting at RT

K Train
08-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Joseph Barksdale is looking impressive, looks to probably be starting at RT

over veldheer and gaither? doubt that

hawkeye123
08-03-2011, 07:15 PM
over veldheer and gaither? doubt that

Veldheer is at LT and they haven't signed Gaither yet

K Train
08-03-2011, 07:28 PM
damn i thought they finalized that a while ago...surprised hes not getting more attention

RaiderNation
08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
His back is messed up and probably isn't in shape.

Tweets are saying WR Denarius Moore is looking great. Beat Routt 3 times in a row. I had the feeling when we drafted him that he could be another mid round steal we have at WR(Murphy, Ford).

Raiderz4Life
08-03-2011, 07:42 PM
damn i thought they finalized that a while ago...surprised hes not getting more attention
No he failed the physical...I think he might have failed 2. Think that's scaring off teams.

His back is messed up and probably isn't in shape.

Tweets are saying WR Denarius Moore is looking great. Beat Routt 3 times in a row. I had the feeling when we drafted him that he could be another mid round steal we have at WR(Murphy, Ford).

Idk man, I'm not getting too excited over anyone beating Routt =/

hawkeye123
08-03-2011, 08:27 PM
But on the field, Aldon Smith looked like a veteran stud. He pressured the quarterbacks more than anyone, and he even put Moran Norris on his back.

On one play, Gore took a handoff and met Smith in the hole and the two collided. Gore didn’t like the hit, so he slapped Smith in the face. Smith didn’t back down or apologize – he slapped Gore right back. Vernon Davis stepped in right away to break it up.

Harbaugh squashed any potential fight by blowing his whistle and ordering the team to start another play. It was another Gore run, and at the end of it, the defensive players jumped and hooted with delight at Smith’s hit on Gore. Gore even jogged over to Smith and gave him a high five and the two made up.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2011/08/training-camp/83-practice-notes/

K Train
08-03-2011, 08:31 PM
all this positive news on aldon smith surprises me a bit, lets see if it translates early to game action

Maybe This Year Mayhew
08-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Fairley had surgery today. Luckily he will be back for the regular season. But without a training camp not in football shape, Fairely is going to have a big learning curve. Hopefully by the second half of the season he's solid in the rotation showing flashes of being a force next to Suh. Foot injury is defintiely a set back. Hopefully the only setback.

49erNation85
08-04-2011, 09:10 AM
More on Aldon... Dude is lighting it up in camp.

mattbarrows: At the risk of going overboard after a few days of training camp, Aldon Smith looks dominant. Just put 250-lb FB Moran Norris on his back.

no offense to our FB but Norris just sucks.

V.I.P
08-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Really wanted Aldon to slide to #20

GET LOOSE
08-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Both kendrick ellis and muhammed wilkerson are doing well in camp. Rex has said wilkerson will be a starter and ellis should be productive early. Dline is looking pretty good if both rookies can be productive

JBCX
08-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Wow... Aldon Smith, based on training camp footage I've watched, looks like the second coming of Jevon Kearse.

Could be the Rookie of the Year easily.

bigbluedefense
08-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I loved what the Bucs have done the past 2 years in the draft. That team is going to be very good in the coming years.

They're some DBs away from being really special. Rebuilt the dline, the LB core is getting worked on, love what they did on offense, they're set on offense, give them another year to redo the secondary and LB core, and watch out.

This team will be a SB contender very shortly.

JBCX
08-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I loved what the Bucs have done the past 2 years in the draft. That team is going to be very good in the coming years.

They're some DBs away from being really special. Rebuilt the dline, the LB core is getting worked on, love what they did on offense, they're set on offense, give them another year to redo the secondary and LB core, and watch out.

This team will be a SB contender very shortly.

You're assuming alot about a trio of defensive linemen with some serious question marks (McCoy, Clayborn, and Bowers).

They have potential to be great, but also great potential to fail. Very boom-or-bust type of roster in terms of future projections.

bigbluedefense
08-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I know. I'm projecting them to pan out. Nothing is a guarantee.

JBCX
08-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I know. I'm projecting them to pan out. Nothing is a guarantee.

The problem is that they have far more question marks than any other "high potential" DL in the league.

I'm much more willing to be optimistic about the Lions' D-Line, for example, than the Bucs. There's a much higher chance that the Lions' young players (Suh, Fairley, Avril) turn into studs than the Bucs' players.

bigbluedefense
08-04-2011, 01:25 PM
True.

I don't see why McCoy or Price are question marks. Both are going to be very good. Just bc McCoy didn't have the same season as Suh doesn't mean he won't be a good player, I think people are reading into that way too much.

He's no Suh, but who the hell is?

Really the only questionmark on that line is Bowers bc of his knee.

V.I.P
08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah im confused also. Only question marks are Da'Quan Bowers' knee & Brian Prices' hip. Gerald & Adrian should be fine.

JBCX
08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
True.

I don't see why McCoy or Price are question marks. Both are going to be very good. Just bc McCoy didn't have the same season as Suh doesn't mean he won't be a good player, I think people are reading into that way too much.

He's no Suh, but who the hell is?

Really the only questionmark on that line is Bowers bc of his knee.

There are questions about Clayborn's arm, but also his conditioning and his ability to be anything more than an average run-stuffing DE. I didn't see much explosiveness or speed from him last year.

Bowers' knee is a HUGE question mark.

McCoy didn't look like anything special to me last year and I always wondered if he was an overhyped prospect. We know Suh is going to be an all-time great after what he did in his rookie season; McCoy not so much. He *might* be great, but there also is a significant chance that he is nothing more than average for the rest of his career. He hasn't shown anything yet, Suh, however, has.

V.I.P
08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Suh vs McCoy, really? How many DTs have 10+ sacks their rookie season? Garald is a question mark because he didn't have Suh-like rookie season!!!!

49ersfan_87
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Wow... Aldon Smith, based on training camp footage I've watched, looks like the second coming of Jevon Kearse.

Could be the Rookie of the Year easily.

Don't know if i'd go that far, but its encouraging to hear how good he has done. Our beatwriters are describing him with words like "fantastic" and "dominant" so far. Can't wait to see him in action and see if he can carry it over to games against opposing teams.

Speaking of other rookies, Colin Kaepernick has looked good but isn't dominating or anything. Ronald Johnson and Kendall Hunter have also looked good. Haven't heard much about anyone else.

K Train
08-04-2011, 02:16 PM
suh vs mccoy was ALWAYS an insult to suh...theres still not much to not like about mccoy though

JBCX
08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Suh vs McCoy, really? How many DTs have 10+ sacks their rookie season? Garald is a question mark because he didn't have Suh-like rookie season!!!!

The point is that there is a *strong* chance that McCoy is just an average, slightly above-average DT. For the Bucs D-Line to be elite, McCoy has to be more than that.

We already know that Suh is going to be a perennial All-Pro for years to come, barring injury. We certainly don't know that about ANY of the Bucs D-Linemen.

phlysac
08-04-2011, 04:13 PM
As a 49ers fan I will temper the love for Aldon Smith with this great quote from Mike Tomlin when asked about rooke Baron Batch's early success...

He's a rookie!

Sarcastro
08-04-2011, 06:28 PM
People didn't pay much attention to the fact that Aldon broke his leg early in the 2010 season. He didn't fully heal up until after the season ended.

LonghornsLegend
08-04-2011, 07:01 PM
The point is that there is a *strong* chance that McCoy is just an average, slightly above-average DT. For the Bucs D-Line to be elite, McCoy has to be more than that.

We already know that Suh is going to be a perennial All-Pro for years to come, barring injury. We certainly don't know that about ANY of the Bucs D-Linemen.

Why does he have a "strong" chance to be average? Your basing this all off of Suh having a super human rookie season for a DT. A ton of All Pro DT's had seasons very similiar to what McCoy did. You can't all of a sudden replace an elite prospect after a year and call him average.

I'm so sick of that argument around here. McCoy was a superb college player with a ton of skills that translated, he didn't have to become a pro bowler as a rookie to make any of that less likely to happen.

Halsey
08-04-2011, 07:11 PM
It's entirely possible McCoy could have a better career over the long run. It's great that Suh started strong, but who knows how things will work out in the long run.

A very loose comparison might be two WRs from the 2006 Draft. If I had told you back in 2007 that Roddy White would be better than Braylon Edwards, you would have laughed at me. Loose comparison, like I said, but you get the point.

RaiderNation
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Denarius Moore is for the second day in a row tearing up camp. Caught a td pass between 2 defenders and got both feet down. This guy could be good

DoughBoy
08-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Denarius Moore is for the second day in a row tearing up camp. Caught a td pass between 2 defenders and got both feet down. This guy could be good

I don't think you will find a single Vols fan on this site surprised by this news. We've been pimping him for months.

Pat Sims 90
08-05-2011, 12:12 AM
AJ Green has been basically tearing up the Bengals DBs.

Andy Dalton has been having a up and down camp. Some days he looks like a Veteran and other days like a Rookie.

Dontay Moch has been making a lot of plays in the Backfield.

gpngc
08-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Hearing Jeremy Kirley looks good. Mark Sanchez called him a "baller."

DoughBoy
08-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Barring injuries, Akeem Ayers has already been named a starter...he will be the first Titans rookie LBer to open the season in that role.

Jake Locker seems like he has improved everyday during camp. One of our beat writers said that he would pick him to be the starter right now if the season started on time. Another said that there is no question he can throw a beautiful the deep ball.

Ness
08-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Why do you have a Steelers signature if your a Titans fan...

DoughBoy
08-05-2011, 07:49 PM
I lost a bet.

BTW F-U JBOOGIE!

VernonLawson89
08-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Once again, Aldon Smith tearing s**t up in camp today...

God please let this man be that passrusher we've been lookin for since forever!

Caddy
08-05-2011, 08:30 PM
suh vs mccoy was ALWAYS an insult to suh...theres still not much to not like about mccoy though

You sir are ignorant. McCoy had a great rookie season.

V.I.P
08-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I lost a bet.

BTW F-U JBOOGIE!

A permanent bet? You had that sig for like ever now.

TitanHope
08-05-2011, 08:49 PM
A permanent bet? You had that sig for like ever now.

I think it's for a year, and the Titans lost to the Steelers in WK 2 last year.

I only had to wear mine for like a week or two! :D

DoughBoy
08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I think it's for a year, and the Titans lost to the Steelers in WK 2 last year.

I only had to wear mine for like a week or two! :D

ehhhh, I have to wear it until the playoffs start..... ATV failed me. :(

Pat Sims 90
08-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Went to Bengals TC today and this what i noticed with Rookies

AJ Green is going to be a beast no DB in camp can cover him 1 on 1 and made 3 really nice grabs today.

Dalton suprised me with his arm strengh made some really nice deep throws today.

Moch contiunes to impress. Made a couple of plays in the Backfield.

VernonLawson89
08-06-2011, 03:43 AM
"Rookie Aldon Smith has been the most impressive defender in camp. He has been a dominant force off the edge in rush drills, and coaches are blown away by his athleticism. He also possesses the arm length that makes him difficult to block in isolated situations. Although he is still adjusting to playing from an upright position as a 3-4 outside linebacker, he could post eight or more sacks off the edge."

bullg8rdaddy
08-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Really wanted Aldon to slide to #20

me too. :/

K Train
08-06-2011, 07:32 AM
You sir are ignorant. McCoy had a great rookie season.
ignorant because i said theres not much to NOT like about mccoy even though hes no suh? i think your ignorant if you really think mccoys rookie year was anything close to as good as king suhs

Caddy
08-06-2011, 07:40 AM
ignorant because i said theres not much to NOT like about mccoy even though hes no suh? i think your ignorant if you really think mccoys rookie year was anything close to as good as king suhs

Nobody in this thread is arguing that...

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2011, 12:29 PM

Find me 1 post, on this entire site, where anyone even came close to implying that. Please. Or is this just another case of you not reading what's going on and throwing out random stuff.

Splat
08-06-2011, 01:13 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/06/with-garrard-out-of-scrimmage-gabbert-gets-chance-to-shine/

“What I saw on the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice field Thursday night from (Blaine) Gabbert, the team’s top pick in the April draft, is like nothing I’ve witnessed on any of the Jaguars’ practice fields in the 16 years they’ve been in existence,” Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com writes.

“He looked like a franchise quarterback. If he plays like one in the preseason, there is little doubt that Del Rio would hesitate to pull the trigger and make him the starter,” Prisco says.

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I read that too, but Gabbart is a guy who looks good in practices anyway. Same for Ryan Mallett, that's not surprising. Got to see how they handle the pressure in the pocket.

Jacksonville does need to invest in a true #1 WR and stop throwing out a bunch of slot WR's like Mike Martz is the offensive coordinator.

M.O.T.H.
08-06-2011, 01:54 PM
I read that too, but Gabbart is a guy who looks good in practices anyway. Same for Ryan Mallett, that's not surprising. Got to see how they handle the pressure in the pocket.

Jacksonville does need to invest in a true #1 WR and stop throwing out a bunch of slot WR's like Mike Martz is the offensive coordinator.

Hopefully they will. Sam Bradford and Colt Mccoy are looking at the same thing. Get these guys a number one, please.

Even Mcnabb had to deal with this crap for years. Far too often, teams dont get their apparent franchise QBs a true number one weapon. Took Flacco years to get a Boldin also. Sure, it's not easy to find a true number one target, but some teams just continuely pass at the opportunity when it's there. You'd think you'd want to protect your investment, instead of surrounding the guy with a bunch of ordinary 2's and 3's. The Rams and Browns have had needs at WR for how long now?

Marino13
08-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Clyde Gates and Jimmy Wilson have been getting great reviews. Wilson moved to safety and has been a playmaker in practice.

Gates has shown great ability to split CBs and safeties.

Charles Clay is becoming a favorite target of Miami QBs in camp, he still needs work blocking though.

Pouncey has been solid.

Thomas has had good and bad.

Ness
08-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm hoping Ronald Johnson is having a good camp and becomes something special for the 49ers. I really like his size as a receiver, although I didn't see him play at USC. I only have highlights to go on. Looks like he has potential at least.

phlysac
08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Offensive Tackle Alex Boone's thoughts on Aldon Smith thus far...

is probably going to be a future Pro Bowler soon. He's fast, he's quick, he can bull you. He's got all the things that you look for in a defensive end, and he's great to practice against because he helps you sit back and be square. If you give him an inch, he'll take a mile from you. ... And he brings a fierceness to the game. He's very ferocious. He's a violent player. And he's going to be good.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/49ers-find-a-leader-for-the-secondary.html#more

Basileus777
08-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Prince Amukamara fractured the fifth metatarsal in his left foot and is out indefinitely.

dannyz
08-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Prince Amukamara fractured the fifth metatarsal in his left foot and is out indefinitely.

So how long would that be?

RaiderNation
08-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Denarius Moore is now practicing in the 1st string. He has made spectacular caches every day of camp so far. A rookie looking better than 2nd and 3rd year players after a week of practice. Could be the steal of the draft if he keeps it going

Go_Eagles77
08-07-2011, 12:50 PM
My observations of the eagles' rookies so far in camp:

Danny Watkins G - Current starter at RG and don't see him giving it up. Stll looks incredibly raw and does get beat in 1 on 1s but has his moments where looks like a future pro bowler. I saw him on his first and third day of camp and the difference between the 2 was notable, he is learning fast.

Jaiquawn Jarrett SS - Right now is running with the 2nd team behind Kurt Coleman and hasn't shown anything to warrant getting the starting job yet. That is expected though because Jarrett's game is really more of an in-the-box enforcer than a coverage guy, and the vast majority of drills so far are coverage drills. I see him being a really good backup/special teamer this year, with some packages where he almost acts as a hybrid S/LB.

Curtis Marsh CB - This is kinda scary but this guy is top 3-5 in camp so far for players that have impressed me and surpassed my expectations. Marsh is another great size/speed guy and has looked very impressive against the backup WRs we have in camp so far. Right now is either the 5th or 6th on the depth chart but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Joselio Hanson expendable and steps into the dime role, though he does profile more as an outside guy.

Casey Matthews LB - Right now the starter at MLB. You could tell by going from Stewart Bradley to Matthews the eagles want to get faster and much better in coverage at the LB position. Isn't dominant like his brother in any one area but looks very solid overall and I wouldn't be surprised if he holds onto the job.

Alex Henery K - As a 4th round pick at kicker, this guy better be impressive. The most accurate kicker in college football history hasn't exactly lived up to expectations to me so far, but hasn't looked bad either. A little inconsistent, sometimes nailing 50 yard FGs with 10+ yards to spare and sometimes missing on 40 or 45 yarders. I hope he can get his consistency up and be that reliable successor to David Akers.

Dion Lewis RB - Has been injured both times I've been to camp so I can't comment, but reports are he's the front runner for the 3rd RB spot.

Julian Vandervelde G - Started out camp as the starter at RG until Watkins came around and seems to be a solid depth guy, can't see him being much more than that. Defintiely a Howard Mudd O-Lineman.

Jason Kelce C - Speaking of Howard Mudd O-Linemen, this guy is one of the surprises of camp so far. He's splitting 1st team reps at center with Jamaal Jackson and Mudd is taking a long look to see who will be the guy. He was the fastest OL at the combine at about 285 pounds but has put on weight and has held his own. Very well could win the starting C job, which would give us 2 rookies on our OL, which scares the hell out of me.

Brian Rolle LB - Tiny for a LB, right now is a 2nd string nickle LB, though I don't know quite where he stands in a base package. Has good range and ability to fly around the ball and I could see him being a beast on special teams.

Greg Lloyd LB - Probably the least impactful drafted rookie so far in camp, I really haven't noticed this guy much. He has good size but looks very slow and pretty bad in coverage. Has had some serious injuries so I can see him getting put on IR for the year for a dislocated pinky because he's not making the team. Practice Squad candidate if he does stay healthy.

Stanley Havili FB - Competing with Owen Schmitt for the FB job, I haven't noticed him much either. Good athlete with good receiving ability, but hasn't run as hard as I would have liked to see. I see Schmitt keeping the job and I doubt the eagles keep 2 FBs, so I don't know what happens with Havili.

Notable Undrafted Free Agents:

Chas Henry P - The only punter in camp so far, much like his kicker counterpart has been inconsistent. Has a huge leg and booms punts at times and other times he'll shank one for 11 yards. I'd love to see Henry and Henery be our Kicker and Punter for the next decade but it just seems risky to rely on a rookie kicker and punter with so much on the line this year.

- DeAndre Brown looks the part (6'6 235) but has an uphill battle to make the team. Drops a lot of balls.

- Noel Devine walked out on the team, still don't know exactly why.

- Graig Cooper and Derrick Locke have an outside shot at beating out Dion Lewis for the 3rd RB spot, don't think it'll happen though.

- Jerrod Johnson is garbage, a poor man's Vince Young (passing-wise) and isn't nearly as athletic.

I don't think anyone else really stands out.

Overall, quite a few guys who either already have or are challenging for starting jobs which is very surprising, a lot of good role players as well. The rookie class looks very promising so far, but it's still extremely early. Looking forward to see how they do during the pre-season.

Splat
08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I read that too, but Gabbart is a guy who looks good in practices anyway.

"Jaguars OC Dirk Koetter noted that rookie QB Blaine Gabbert was "a half-step slower" in Saturday's scrimmage than he's been in practices."

:)

Diehard
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Here are the top 3 performers from the Broncos draft so far:

Julius Thomas (TE) - The unquestioned star of camp. He was a guy the team locked on to very early in the draft process... and it appears with good reason. Dangerous downfield and in the red zone. Excellent at using his body to box out DB's. His blocking needs work, but he'll get his touches in the pass game. Running with the first team as the receiving TE.

Von Miller (LB) - So far, he's as good as advertised. His mach speed pass rush makes him a regular in the backfield. Is lining up all over the field, but SLB and nickle DE are the most common spots. Coverage is better than anticipated. Has the starting SLB spot locked up.

Rahim Moore (S) - Very solid. Smart, good tackler and is usually in a good position to make a play. Spends a lot of time working with Dawkins, which can only be a good thing. As of now, he's the starter at FS.

Other rookies with legit shots at starting spots:

Orlando Franklin (RT), Nate Irving (MLB),

UDFA corner:

IMO, Mark Dell (WR), Austin Sylvester (FB) and Adam Weber (QB) have all played themselves on to the practice squad at the minimum. Sylvester has a legit chance to win the starting FB spot and Dell is still in the thick of the very fierce competition for the last 2 WR spots.

Mario Fannin was having a nice camp before his knee got hurt. Now he'll sit out the season on the IR.

Chris Harris (CB) is another guy who has flashed enough make the PS.

phlysac
08-07-2011, 08:09 PM
An article from one of the 49ers' best Beat Writers...

49ers rookie review, training camp edition

The 49ers have the day off today, one of the results of the new kinder, gentler NFL training camp. I'm not complaining. The off day will allow me to catch up on grocery shopping -- no more Honey Nut Cheerios for dinner -- and to catch you up on the 49ers rookies, many of whom have had prominent roles over the first eight practices of camp.

OLB Aldon Smith. Ahmad Brooks' undisclosed injury has allowed Smith to practice with the first-team defense and he's taken advantage of those repetitions. Smith has been particularly impressive in pass rush drills. Most young pass rushers try to out-quick their offensive tackle opponent by going to the outside, and in doing so they are easily pushed wide of the play. Smith, however, has a wicked inside move in which he uses his long powerful arms like battle axes to club away the offensive tackle's hands. Smith is far more powerful than most rookies, much less those enter the NFL as underclassmen. He's working on his flexibility and on playing in space, which he must do as an outside linebacker. However, his long arms, which are such an asset in rushing the passer also help him coverage because they make him such a tall obstacle. In that way he batted down a Colin Kaepernick pass in practice on Friday. Note: Brooks did some warm up work with the linebackers on Saturday and seems close to returning.

QB Colin Kaepernick: The second-round pick is as athletic and strong-armed as advertised. However, he's come in more prepared and more polished than perhaps was expected. Kaepernick is at his best hitting targets on crossing patterns down field. Those passes have been accurate and arrive so quickly that defensive players don't have much time to react. His touch passes - passes in which he's trying to feather a pass over a defender - have been a bit off. Kaepernick seemed to be consciously holding back on those throws - sort of half-throwing them - which gave them an unnatural look. He seems to be much better and more accurate when putting everything he has into his throws. He also has shown a tendency to throw off his back foot, which causes passes to sail. All in all, it's been a very promising beginning for Kaepernick. The fact that the 49ers are in no rush to bring in another veteran quarterback not only means that they are happy with how Kaepernick is operating in practice, it means the rookie will continue to get plenty of repetitions, critical for his development.

CB Chris Culliver. More than any other 49ers cornerback, Culliver looks the part. He has an excellent build and he is strong and fast. With injuries to Shawntae Spencer and Tarell Brown - neither is believed to be serious - Culliver has been getting plenty of repetitions and even was in the first group's nickel package last week. However, he still needs plenty of work at cornerback after only moving to that position last year. He is a project but one worth undertaking.

RB Kendall Hunter. Hunter has been impressive in how fast he gets in and out of the hole. At 5-7, he seems to need only a slight opening in the line of scrimmage. However, his height makes pass protection difficult and he has been engulfed by onrushing defenders at times.

G Daniel Kilgore. He's mostly been working as the backup left guard, although he's also taken some snaps at center.

WR Ronald Johnson. Johnson consistently has worked with the second-team offense. He hasn't stood out in practices but hasn't looked bad, either. Johhnson also has taken some turns as a kick returner.

S Colin Jones. He's gotten very few practice repetitions at safety due in large part to the shere number of safeties on the roster. That's ok. Jones was drafted for his special teams ability, something coaches will be looking for when the preseason begins later this week.

FB Bruce Miller. Miller was taken off the physically unable to perform list on Friday and has practiced the last two days. Miller went on PUP after having fluid drained from his shoulder, which doesn't exactly bode well for a player who will make his living lowering his shoulders into would-be tacklers. Miller, however, has better athleticism than the other two fullbacks on the roster, Moran Norris and Jack Corcoran. And he's also proven to be a very good pass catcher, which is counter intuitive for someone who played defense in college. Miller also promises to be a standout on special teams.

T Mike Person. The 49ers drafted Person with the intention of moving him inside to guard and center. Person, however, has remained at tackle in training camp, lining up at right tackle with the second-team units and left tackle with the third team. That may be because the 49ers have moved other college tackles, such as Stanford's Derek Hall, to the inside and need offensive tackles for practice. Person is not physically dominating, but he is smart and hard-working and has played well early in camp.

CB Curtis Holcomb. He ruptured his Achilles tendon during the conditioning drill before training camp and is out for the season.

Undrafted players:

NT Ian Williams has seen plenty of action due to Isaac Sopoaga's hamstring injury. Williams mostly has worked with the second-team defense and is getting plenty of attention from defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. The 49ers may not intend for Williams to play much this season. But given the scarcity of nose tackles and the growing number of teams that play 3-4 defenses, he may be a player they have to keep on the 53-man roster.

I cited WRs Chris Hogan and Tyler Beiler last week (patting own back). Hogan hooked up with Kaepernick on a big, 50-yard pass play Friday but was in a walking boot Saturday, the result on an injury on that play. Beiler has excellent speed and he connected with Jeremiah Masoli on a 50-plus yard pass play on Saturday.

Speaking of Masoli ... remember when the 49ers wanted to use him as a jack-of-all-trades type player? That plan is on hold. Harbaugh has liked what he's seen from Masoli as a quarterback, and he has been getting more repetitions lately than former Sac State quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson, whom I wrote about in today's Bee. If you were crafting a depth chart, Masoli would be the No. 3 QB at the moment.

Among the offensive linemen, Cal's Donovan Edwards has looked good. He has a feistiness necessary to the position. The 49ers have mostly played him at guard, but he's been given a chance at tackle as well.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/49ers-rookie-review-training-camp-edition.html

49erNation85
08-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the 49ers update!I might actually get to see a game this fall or winter time.If my job I applied today goes as plan.Might be working in the Big Sur area.

bucfan12
08-08-2011, 01:06 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6451/blaine-gabbert

I wonder what Pete Priscoe actually saw in Blaine Gabbert, because during scrimmage on saturday night, Gabbert looked absolutely horrendous.

V.I.P
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Bucs official first depth chart just released, and Mason Foster is listed as the starting MLB.

http://www.buccaneers.com/assets/images/imported/TB/2011/news/08/article/Foster08_08_11_1_t.jpg

Adrian Clayborn is also listed as starting RDE, and Bowers is listed as the 2nd LDE.

bornnraisedwhodat
08-10-2011, 09:19 AM
More praise for Mark Ingram:

"I can't wait to see him play this Friday (against the San Francisco 49ers at the Superdome) and see what he does against another team because in practice he's definitely flashed signs of greatness," free safety Malcolm Jenkins said.

"His best attribute is he has a low center of gravity," Jenkins said. "It's hard to just run up to him and knock him off balance. He's low to the ground. A lot of the times you get the worst of the hit."

Said linebacker Jonathan Casillas: "His vision is very advanced. He's not a rookie with his vision. Usually, rookies just follow the fullback on that same track. He's willing to make that risky cut to get to the backside."

Said linebacker Scott Shanle: "I didn't realize how agile he was. He's got great balance. The guy's got tree trunks for legs."

Said linebacker Jon Vilma: "He finishes his runs. He doesn't let up. He's like a machine."

Said safety Chris Reis: "What's surprising is speed around the edge. He can get after it. He's going to be dangerous."

Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar said he watched Ingram play often at Alabama. He saw the missed tackles and wondered if the whiffs were attributable to Ingram's ability or the lack thereof from his college competition.

"Now that you're out there hitting against him, you go, OK, this guy is the real deal," Dunbar said.http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/08/tackling_new_orleans_saints_ro.html

DoughBoy
08-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Karl Klug has been getting alot of praise the last couple of weeks and has started taking more and more snaps with the 1st team. Thought he was a good player coming out, just need to see how his frame will hold up in the pros.

V.I.P
08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d8215d942/article/knee-holding-up-well-in-camp-for-buccaneers-de-bowers

Knee holding up well in camp for Buccaneers' DE Bowers

Da'Quan Bowers is eager to prove the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were right, and 31 other teams were wrong about a knee injury that hurt his stock in the NFL draft.

The former Clemson defensive end led the nation in sacks last season and was considered a probable top 10 pick before undergoing surgery in January.

Some teams shied away from him on draft day, fearing a less than full recovery might shorten his pro career. But the Bucs were encouraged by the medical reports they gathered on the 2010 Atlantic Coast Conference defensive player of the year and felt comfortable with selecting him in the second round to help bolster a sagging pass rush.

Tampa Bay was last in the NFC with 26 sacks a year ago, but feels it addressed the deficiency after using its top two picks in the draft on Bowers and first-round selection Adrian Clayborn.

"He's coming along really well. ... He's a giant, 280-pound end. You could see his power rush was his game (at Clemson), you saw his speed and quickness," coach Raheem Morris said. "The plan we had from the beginning was let's draft him, let's be cautious with him. Maybe we're too cautious with him, but it's smart."

Two weeks into training camp, Bowers is listed on the depth chart as the second-string left end behind third-year man Michael Bennett. More importantly, though, is he hasn't had any problems with his right knee and Morris said he will likely play 12 to 15 snaps in his preseason debut Friday night against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Once I'm finished for the day, I ice it down and go on about my business," Bowers said. "There's no soreness, no swelling, no anything."

It's the second year in a row they've used their first two selections in the draft on defensive lineman, with Bowers and Clayborn joining second-year tackles Gerald McCoy and Brian Price to form what Morris and general manager Mark Dominik hope will become a dominant front.

When the Bucs selected the 6-foot-4, 277-pound native of Bamberg, S.C., with the 51st pick overall, Dominik conceded that the knee injury might force the team to bring the 21-year-old along slowly. Nevertheless, he and Morris said Bowers' talent and potential made it difficult to resist taking a chance on him at that point in the draft.

Bowers had 19.5 career sacks at Clemson, including 15.5 last year when he broke the Tigers' single-season record of 9.5 previously held by the late Gaines Adams, who was drafted by the Bucs in the first round in 2007.

"We were pretty confident ... with the risk and reward from the first day we drafted him," said Morris, who also serves as his own defensive coordinator.

Bowers is not discouraged by being listed No. 2 on the depth chart, while Clayborn is the starter at right end. He's trying to learn as much as he can in practice and meetings and is confident he can win the left end job before the Sept. 11 regular-season opener against Detroit.

"It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been as tough as I thought it would be," Bowers said of the transition to Tampa Bay's defensive system. "We have some great coaches and these other guys on the defensive line have been cooperating, walking me and Adrian through this process."

Posted on NFL.com today, good read.

JBCX
08-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm not sold on Bowers at all. Even pre-injury, he was mostly an overrated power/leverage pass rusher with minimal speed off the edge who feasted on overmatched TEs and college RTs with his bull rush.

Everyone thinks he's going to be "the steal of the draft" but I'll be shocked if he ever puts up more than 4 sacks in a single season, *if* he manages to stay on the field at all.

V.I.P
08-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Mason Foster wins round one. I like that Raheem has Quincy Black calling the plays so that Foster can just get the basics of the defense down before needing to run the entire thing with no experience. Foster looks fast because his instincts send him in the right direction a split second earlier....he has a lot of work to do but he will have a very defined role this season on first, 2nd, and short yardage downs.

Da-Phins
08-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Jimmy Wilson...remember that name. Steal of the draft. The dude is gonna be a baller.

Hurricanes25
08-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Mason Foster wins round one. I like that Raheem has Quincy Black calling the plays so that Foster can just get the basics of the defense down before needing to run the entire thing with no experience. Foster looks fast because his instincts send him in the right direction a split second earlier....he has a lot of work to do but he will have a very defined role this season on first, 2nd, and short yardage downs.

Mason Foster looked pretty damn good last night and I can't say that I was surprised. He's playing MLB, correct?

V.I.P
08-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Mason Foster looked pretty damn good last night and I can't say that I was surprised. He's playing MLB, correct?

Yeah MLB, but the OLB (Quincy Black) has the headset in the helmet/calls the plays. Since Foster isn't in on nickel situations.

M.O.T.H.
08-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Forgot about this thread.

Tyron Smith looked great in his debut. Had no problem with Dumervil and was a wall for pretty much the entire 1st half. Made it look pretty effortless for the most part. Guy is a stud.

David Arkin looked good as well. Better when he was playing along Doug Free, but he played some good football. May have a real shot at taking that starting LG job.

Dwayne Harris' stats are padded because of that untouched 76-77 yard TD scamper on broken coverage...but he was solid, and he obviously put up big numbers. He kept going backwards on punt returns, though.

Josh Thomas was a mixed bag at CB. He gave up several receptions, but he also displayed some tighter coverage on a couple of plays. Looked good in press man. Took a horrible angle on one deeper pass. He looked like a rookie...but there were parts of his game that I liked.

nobodyinparticular
08-13-2011, 05:20 PM
In regards to posting huge chunks or all of an article:

1) Unless something has changed with regards to board rules, these aren't allowed. Due to copyright/fair use laws.
2) It's freaking annoying because it clutters up the page
3) I don't want to read what every beat writer has to say about every rookie your team has. You tell us how your team's rookies are doing. Summarize. Put some effort into it. Then post a link if we so can check out the article if we are so inclined. Don't be lazy and just copy and paste.

Edit: Yes, I am a nazi.

Edit Edit: No, I don't care.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Ryan Kerrigan: Has struggled with some small injuries however he fared well in the first preseason game. Will be the starting OLB opposite of Orakpo this year. He and Orakpo will be a lethal pass rushing duo, he looked far more fluid in space than I expected. On one play shot into the backfield to stuff Mwelde Moore for a loss and also ran down Mendenhall. As far as negatives he was out of position a lot and his coverage is still a question. Unfortunately since we are going to use him strictly as a pass rusher Orakpo will need to drop in coverage a lot more this year instead of always rushing the passer.

Jarvis Jenkins: By far the best rookie we have and could turn out to be an absolute steal. He has lit it up in training camp and the first game. He has long arms and is super strong and can play both nose and DE. He could very well take Carrikers job who did ok last year. I am super excited about a D-line with him and Cofield and Stephen Bowen who both looked great.

Evan Royster: Such a smooth and natural runner. Sees the hole and hits it, also looked great in pass protection. He averaged 4.4 ypc on 15 carries. Problem though is that he lacks to the burst to break a long run, still though Id like to see him make the 53 man roster, hes the perfect 3rd down back.

Roy Helu: I know it will be between he and Royster for the 3rd RB spot but tbh I wish we would just keep both and let go of Torrain who is good but will never be healthy. Helu has incredible burst and is a good receiver, problem though is that he does go down way too easy. He definitely has an edge to make the roster though as Hightower, Torrain, and Royster all lack that breakaway speed.

Leonard Hankerson: Bleh what a disappointment. Obviously far too early to count him out but as a 3rd rounder if we are being objective hes not one of the top 5 WRs on the team. He has struggled through camp and the 1st preseason game. Does not run precise routes has horrible hands and is a body catcher and he isnt overly strong. Im still holding out but IMO Malcolm Kelly has far more potential than him although he will never be healthy.

Niles Paul: My favorite of the rookie wideouts. Hes big and strong with speed. He also looks to be a good gunner on special teams and can return kicks. Hes like Devin Thomas with a brain.

Aldrick Robinson: I was excited about him and he looked good in TC but hes a practice squad guy. Could have threatened Banks for the return job but kept fumbling punt returns. Hes the type of guy though that will be stolen off our practice squad.

Dejon Gomes: Great tackler and supper aggressive but his cover skills are lacking.

V.I.P
08-14-2011, 05:23 PM

Clayborn looked really good out there at times, at others he looked just handled like a rookie. It's to be expected, and it's a learning curve. He did have some very nice OWNING of the OT, only to it end up being a run play that already developed away from him by them. Bowers was unimpressive after all the chip on shoulder hype talk. His best play came when he dropped back in coverage early in the 3rd. He looked slow/lazy at some points.

bucfan12
08-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Clayborn looked really good out there at times, at others he looked just handled like a rookie. It's to be expected, and it's a learning curve. He did have some very nice OWNING of the OT, only to it end up being a run play that already developed away from him by them. Bowers was unimpressive after all the chip on shoulder hype talk. His best play came when he dropped back in coverage early in the 3rd. He looked slow/lazy at some points.

Its there 1st preseason games. A lot of coaches will tell you 90% of the d-lineman, DE and DT, don't come in right away and peform. Look at Warren Sapp, he did it in his 3rd year. Chris Long in his 3rd year he finally looked like the 2nd overall pick.

You can't expect Clayborn and Bowers to be 10+ suck guys immediately. Look at McCoy last year. He played very well, but there were times he struggled. However, before his injury we all agree was wreaking havoc.

Ndmakung Suh is just one of those once in a decade type of players who's just a beast.

Give it time. Clayborn showed power and strength and was unblockable at times in that KC game, but also will have growing pains. Bowers didn't play much with the 1st team.

bantx
08-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Luiget fast off the ball and always see him in the backfield or in a play

Also Norv stated in a press conference saying that there are a few new starters for us on D wonder who they are right now

thenewfeature06
08-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Christian Ballard blasted Locker on one play showing a nice burst off the line.. him and Griffen can be future starters if they dedicate themselves.

JBCX
08-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Even before the injury, after watching his college games, I thought Bowers was one of the most overrated DL prospects I've ever watched. Classic example of a guy with marginal athleticism that just overpowered mediocre college OTs.

V.I.P
08-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Dude we get it, YOU HATE DA'QUAN BOWERS & THINKS HE IS OVERRATED. You said it a million times in this 6 paged thread already!.... You should just ******* write it in your sig!

bucfan12
08-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Even before the injury, after watching his college games, I thought Bowers was one of the most overrated DL prospects I've ever watched. Classic example of a guy with marginal athleticism that just overpowered mediocre college OTs.

Bowers was one of the most top rated prospects coming out of high school. He's always had a physical build with great tools to one day become a top DE in the NFL.

I, like you, never liked Bowers as a prospect back in APril because of only one good season. However, if you listened to his story and background, you could tell his diet, and work ethic weren't 100% his 1st two years. Before his Jr year, he really dedicated himself to football and the passing of his father (RIP) according to bowers, really made him realize life is too short and dedicated himself to be the best he could be. The passing of mentor Gaines Adams (RIP) also had a huge impact on his life.

He also has a huge chip on his shoulder and reports out of practices is that he's at full speed and the knee isn't an issue. Although Raheem holds him out of an occasional practice, which he does the same iwht Kellen Winslow, he's bee wreaking havoc. He didn't see many snaps against KC, and really none wiht the 1st team, but he wasn't too bad.

I see him having a very good, if not great career.

JBCX
08-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Bowers was one of the most top rated prospects coming out of high school. He's always had a physical build with great tools to one day become a top DE in the NFL.

I, like you, never liked Bowers as a prospect back in APril because of only one good season. However, if you listened to his story and background, you could tell his diet, and work ethic weren't 100% his 1st two years. Before his Jr year, he really dedicated himself to football and the passing of his father (RIP) according to bowers, really made him realize life is too short and dedicated himself to be the best he could be. The passing of mentor Gaines Adams (RIP) also had a huge impact on his life.

He also has a huge chip on his shoulder and reports out of practices is that he's at full speed and the knee isn't an issue. Although Raheem holds him out of an occasional practice, which he does the same iwht Kellen Winslow, he's bee wreaking havoc. He didn't see many snaps against KC, and really none wiht the 1st team, but he wasn't too bad.

I see him having a very good, if not great career.

I'm basing my opinion entirely on his measurables (combine numbers) and his college game tape in 2010. I don't even care about his lack of production prior to 2010; I'm grading him solely on his last year.

He lacks elite explosion and speed, and his primary move in college was the bull rush. I watched approximately 4-5 Clemson games last year and studied Bowers carefully in each one. In every single one, he made high-effort plays against the run, but all of his sacks and pressures were a direct result of simply overpowering a mediocre college OT with a bull rush. In the NFL, this isn't happening because the OTs are bigger and stronger. In the NFL, you need explosion off the edge and multiple moves to compete. I don't see Bowers being anything more than a 3-4 sack guy who is decent vs. the run in the NFL, and that isn't even factoring in his medical question marks.

bucfan12
08-15-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm basing my opinion entirely on his measurables (combine numbers) and his college game tape in 2010. I don't even care about his lack of production prior to 2010; I'm grading him solely on his last year.

He lacks elite explosion and speed, and his primary move in college was the bull rush. I watched approximately 4-5 Clemson games last year and studied Bowers carefully in each one. In every single one, he made high-effort plays against the run, but all of his sacks and pressures were a direct result of simply overpowering a mediocre college OT with a bull rush. In the NFL, this isn't happening because the OTs are bigger and stronger. In the NFL, you need explosion off the edge and multiple moves to compete. I don't see Bowers being anything more than a 3-4 sack guy who is decent vs. the run in the NFL, and that isn't even factoring in his medical question marks.

His combine/pro day numbers are a terrible judgement. He made a dumb decision to workout when he wasn't at 100% in April. Even his doctors and medical staff will tell you that he wasn't healthy then.

He didn't get cleared until end of July and he doesn't have a chronic knee issue.

If he doesn't pan out, then a 2nd round pick was worth the risk. However, I think he has an excellent burst and tampa's new d-line coach will, Milliard, is going to get the best of him.

Remember, not many college DEs have a variety of moves, it's how they develop them as a rookie. D-lineman take about 2-3 years too finally put it together, that is why I don't expect Bowers and Clayborn to post high end sack numbers right away, however they are better than the scrubs we had last year on the outside.

DraftSavant
08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Not a Raider fan, but draft Denarius Moore in your fantasy draft. He's been the best player (not receiver...PLAYER) in Oakland's camp. He's this year's Mike Williams. Absolutely absurd that he lasted until the 5th round.

bucfan12
08-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Not a Raider fan, but draft Denarius Moore in your fantasy draft. He's been the best player (not receiver...PLAYER) in Oakland's camp. He's this year's Mike Williams. Absolutely absurd that he lasted until the 5th round.

Not familar with him, but I have heard these reports that he's been there best player on the field.

I wonder what Al Davis thinks of the decision of taking Heyward-Bey at 7 overall a few years ago?

DraftSavant
08-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Not familar with him, but I have heard these reports that he's been there best player on the field.

I wonder what Al Davis thinks of the decision of taking Heyward-Bey at 7 overall a few years ago?

He was a receiver at Tennessee whose only real knock pre-draft was "disappearing for huge stretches at a time." Considering the instability of the Tennessee's QB play over his career, I wouldn't put that blame on him. Should have carried a late first/early second round grade at least.

ElectricEye
08-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Raiders are absolutely gushing about Denarius Moore. I really think he was a victim of the Vols being down exposure wise. I remember every time he got brought up the majority of people liked him...but he was always absent in rankings and the conversation as to who will be a productive NFL receiver. The Raiders are slowly starting to hit on these high upside athletes the past few years, especially deep into the draft.

DraftSavant
08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Raiders are absolutely gushing about Denarius Moore. I really think he was a victim of the Vols being down exposure wise. I remember every time he got brought up the majority of people liked him...but he was always absent in rankings and the conversation as to who will be a productive NFL receiver. The Raiders are slowly starting to hit on these high upside athletes the past few years, especially deep into the draft.

If you follow Greg Cosell on Twitter (a must for any draft/NFL fan), I remember him noting that he saw him burning PP in the LSU game, but the QB was either a) not looking for him or b) couldn't get him the ball.

That's what's awesome about having coaches tape and not being stuck w/telecast video. Makes it much easier to judge WR/DB play.

JBCX
08-15-2011, 12:46 PM
And the Raiders also have Jacoby Ford who looked amazing last year, and they still have Darren McFadden and Darius Heyward-Bey.

The Raiders could have a positively explosive offense this year.

DraftSavant
08-15-2011, 12:49 PM
And the Raiders also have Jacoby Ford who looked amazing last year, and they still have Darren McFadden and Darius Heyward-Bey.

Taiwan Jones is a very nice developmental scatback as well.

They made a smart move in letting Gallery walk as well. He was getting his ass kicked on almost every play in the SD/SEA preseason game.

bucfan12
08-15-2011, 12:55 PM

Heyward-Bey is not a football player.

etk
08-15-2011, 09:21 PM

I wanted us to draft him if we wanted a WR. He's one of, if not the best deep threat in this class. We're loaded at WR but none of our guys are true deep threats.

CashmoneyDrew
08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
I tried to get y'all ready for Moore. Dude couldn't help that his QBs were Crompdaddy and Matt Simms.

Ness
08-15-2011, 09:29 PM

It's not going to matter though as long as Al Davis is the owner. That's the sad thing about the Raiders. Seems like Al Davis is going to fire any coach that doesn't get to the playoffs in their two seasons. Which is beyond stupid.

V.I.P
08-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Adrian Clayborn - was in backfield alot, rushed a few passes.

Mason Foster - He seems to be everywhere. And that was a heck of a hit he put on Chad John--- Ochocinco. A clean hit too, no matter what ESPN says. If only we had three Fosters out there we'd be in better shape. As of right now I think we're all on the Foster wagon as leading and holding the starting Mike spot.

Da'Quan Bowers - is coming along....

Luke Stocker - still recovering might play next week.

Daniel Hardy - pretty good hands working his way up the depth chart

Allan Bradford - averaging 1.3 yards rushing so far o_O

Ahmad Black - injured :/

Anthony Gaitor - another 7th round gem !!!!!

Unbiased
08-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Jaguars

Blaine Gabbert - Had a bad game against Atlanta. Luckily for him, Garrard also sucked so he didn't lose any ground.

Will Rackley - Also struggled. Seems he has been handed the starting LG job, though. Spitz and Nwaneri fighting for the other position.

Cecil Shorts - His first play as a Jaguar was a fumble on a reverse that he didn't fall on. After that, though, he showed an ability to get open and good hands.

Chris Prosinski - Finally back in practice after being injured. Only has two games to win starting FS job. Will probably start out as a backup.

Rod Issac - Showed good tackling and toughness against Atlanta. Will probably start out as the dime CB.

T-RICH49
08-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Jon Baldwin - more know for fighting Thomas Jones and losing then anything football related

Rodney Hudson - have'nt notcied him too much but then again probably better not knowing your OL's names cause it'd mean a screwup

Justin Houston - 2 sacks and a FF vs BAL looks like a baller

Allen Bailey - have not heard his name called unless they mention he's on the field

Jalil Brown - really struggled so far got called for a PI and burnt by Lee Evans a couple times

Ricky Stanzi- struggling but more due to poor protection from OL

Gabe Miller - name called a couple times but would'nt say he's standing out

Jerrel Powe - I've been VERY impressed with Powe.for such a big man he very quick and strong

Shane Bannon - only when they say he's on the field do I notice him

M.O.T.H.
08-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Tyron Smith is pretty freaking legit. The guy just looks excellent out there.

SolidGold
08-22-2011, 09:02 AM

That makes me excited to see Kalil at USC this year and at the pre-draft workouts. Kalil must be pretty damn good if he was able to keep Smith at RT @ USC.

TheFinisher
08-22-2011, 09:54 AM

He looked awesome last night, definitely exceeded my expectations.

TheFinisher
08-22-2011, 09:56 AM
That makes me excited to see Kalil at USC this year and at the pre-draft workouts. Kalil must be pretty damn good if he was able to keep Smith at RT @ USC.

Eh, I think that gets made into more than it is. Kalil is a good prospect in his own right but I don't think the fact that Tyron stayed at RT automatically means Kalil is the superior player.

Thecollegedropout
08-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Just the Jets draft picks...

Mohammed Wilkerson- I think he plays the "Silent guy" really well on our defense. He hasn't done a single play that got his exposure or to really make you say "wow" but he has been rock steady and hasn't shot himself in the foot outside of an early offsides call vs HOU. No complaints about him but based on the 2 games, there isn't a whole lot to say.

Kenrick Ellis- 1st game vs Houston he was a monster, including knocking down a pass for an INT. 2nd game he wasn't as overpowering but he was still one of the 1st guys to bring a RB down when he got into the game later on. I don't know how ready he will be on opening day but I think throughout the season as a few snaps guy, he can be very, very good.

Bilal Powell- Reminds me a bit of Shonn Greene....hard to really tell what he will be moving forward since he has been doing pretty good vs 2nd and 3rd stringers, but he is a very physical running back who doesn't go down on 1st contact. I think his role will come later in the year when LT eventually breaks down and Greene could be battling a stinger or two. No idea how good his catching ability is but as a runner, he looks promising. Doesn't have the speed to really put a break away run on but as a physical RB to go to for 2-3 yards to pick up the 1st down, he's an option.

Jeremy Kerley- His training camp hype hasn't necessarily come into preseason thus far but he has been adequate as a kick returner/punt returner, ripping off 8-10 yards on a punt. Had a drop vs the Bengals but had 1-2 nice grabs likewise. As the team's No.4 in year 1, he hasn't been bad

Greg McElroy- 1st game its hard to gauge but considering how god awful his O-Line was and how the Texans got so much pressure on him each play and that he was playing 2nd stringers to start in the NFL, I thought he did an alright job. Vs Cincy, McElroy looked much more sharper and poised and really picked apart the Bengals backups, including a nice dumpoff pass to McKnight for the score. He has been on the same level as some of the rookie quarterbacks taken ahead of him, which is very nice out of your 7th round pick. His touch is very good but his long ball is still lacking the zip and really stays up there to be INT'd. I would still put McElroy over Brunell as the team's 2nd QB but I don't think Jets brass would agree with me.

BigBanger
08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Basing most everything on the preseason, I'll list my five most impressive rookies so far.

Tyron Smith looks like he has the most ROTY potential. He wont win it because he's an offensive linemen, but he might get the exposure (playing for Dallas) to get some recognition to, at least, put his name in the hat (Ryan Clady and Jake Long were dominant and didn't have a chance in hell to win the award). Smith still has to do it against better pass rushers, but from the outing last night? He looks the part. Athleticism, strength, technique, footwork, power as in-line blocker ... everything was on display and he was utterly dominating.

Denarius Moore has been the most impressive rookie so far. He's already the best WR on the Raiders and one of the best players on their offense. He is a serious ROTY candidate. So explosive and a pretty good route runner who is making a seamless transition into the NFL.

Marcell Dareus and JJ Watt are, to no surprise, making an immediate impact among the defensive line players. Both those guys are going to be studs, already proving to be future stalwarts for their defensive fronts.

Julio Jones is also primed for a really good rookie season. A lot has to do with going to one of the best landing spots in the NFL for him. He looks like he fits in perfect with the Falcons. Might have been worth the kings ransom they gave. Size, speed, toughness, hustle ... he's exactly what they were expecting.

Jarvis Jenkins, Corey Liguet and Casey Matthews also look like they'll contribute to already solid defenses.

K Train
08-22-2011, 11:46 AM
casey matthews looked pretty terrible against the steelers...i think hes got potential but as a day one starter at MLB im not so sure

JBCX
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I wasn't impressed by Corey Liuget at all prior to the draft, and nothing has changed for me after watching him play in the preseason thus far. He has little burst or pass rush potential, and he looks as if his ceiling is a 2-3 sack, above-average run-stuffer, EVEN if he played in a 4-3.

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I have been really impressed with Andy Dalton poise seems that nothing rattles this guy.

SolidGold
08-22-2011, 11:57 AM
casey matthews looked pretty terrible against the steelers...i think hes got potential but as a day one starter at MLB im not so sure

That is true but the Steelers pretty much owned the line of scrimmage and dictated the flow of the game, the Eagles D-line was not all that impressive either.

JBCX
08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
That is true but the Steelers pretty much owned the line of scrimmage and dictated the flow of the game, the Eagles D-line was not all that impressive either.

If you watch that game closely, the running game of the Steelers wasn't even the problem for the Eagles defense. They had a few nice runs here and there, but for the most part, the Eagles kept it in check (3.8 ypc or something similar). The biggest problem for the Eagles was giving up conversions on 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long. The Steelers converted something like >75% of their 3rd downs. The Eagles had all kinds of problems on 3rd down, from Cullen Jenkins' stupid facemask penalty, to rushing 4 lineman on 3rd and long and Nate Allen giving up a touchdown pass after a Rothlisberger scramble, to Nate Allen screwing up a blitz and letting Rothelisberger pump fake and throw to Antonio Brown...

The linebackers weren't a problem at all, really. The biggest problems for the Eagles in that game were 1) the performance of Nate Allen the free safety who really struggled in all phases and 2) the inability to of the defensive line to get pressure in a 4-man rush on 3rd down and 3) ineffective play-calling and/or botched assignments on the blitz, especially on 3rd down

#1 and #3 are all areas that can be fixed relatively easily with more practice, more time to heal from injuries, and more roster shuffling. #2 is problematic, but you also have to consider that they were missing three of their best DTs (Antonio Dixon, Trevor Laws, and Mike Patterson).

Brown Leader
08-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Bargain pick of the draft thus far...QB Tyrod Taylor.

CC.SD
08-22-2011, 06:05 PM
I wasn't impressed by Corey Liuget at all prior to the draft, and nothing has changed for me after watching him play in the preseason thus far. He has little burst or pass rush potential, and he looks as if his ceiling is a 2-3 sack, above-average run-stuffer, EVEN if he played in a 4-3.

I am really interested in how you could come up with this opinion from the two preseason games. Corey is absolutely standing out on that line, he is the big and fast one if you go back and watch some highlights. He has made a handful of plays in the backfield already including a picture perfect sack/fumble last night. This is as a 3-4 DE...

keylime_5
08-22-2011, 06:21 PM

i always thought smith was better than kalil at sc. there are a lot of things that go into determining which guy plays left tackle and which plays right tackle if they are both about the same. kalil was more comfortable playing the left and unlike smith he wasn't versatile enough to play either side. kalil will be a top 10 pick, but his upside isn't as high as smith's imo.

bored of education
08-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Justin Houston.

DoughBoy
08-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Jake Locker- I've liked what I've seen from him thus far. Has a rocket arm great mobility and surprisingly very calm in the pocket. He still gets sloppy with his footwork and needs to give up on some plays. I'm hoping Matt can stay healthy this year to give Jake the time he needs to work on some of his issues....seems like all of his problems are fixable with good coaching.

Akeem Ayers- It looks more and more like our coaching staff wants to build the defense around this kids skill-set. I think he has been held back on some plays because I don't think the Titans want to give away how they are going to use him. Really looks like a future stud.

Jurrell Casey- Seems to be a really gifted run stuffer and made a few wow plays against Rams. Guy is just a natural at breaking down plays and showed really good instincts on screen-passes. Hasn't flashed very much as a pass-rusher, but that's not the skill-set we drafted him for.

Colin McCarthy- Didn't have a standout game against the Vikings but didn't embarrass himself either. He had a much better game against the Rams this week and seemed to be all over the field (notched a sack)...Not as flashy as the rest of our class, but knows where he needs to be.

Jamie Harper- Reminds me A LOT of Ryan Matthews. Big, shifty, nice hands and great speed for his size. He sometimes tries to get cute and dance around instead of hitting the hole... but he looks good when he feels like getting physical. Had a great game against the Rams.

Karl Klug- IMO the most impressive rookie thus far. Was unblock-able against the Vikings and was just steps away from about 3 sacks against the Rams. Probably the the favorite at this point to start at UT next to Shaun Smith. Just seems like teams can't get a good block on him.

Byron Stingily- 2nd string LT and has been doing a good job of keeping Locker clean. I liked his run-blocking skills coming out and he made some huge holes this preseason. Has blue-chip talent and I would be very surprised if the Titans tried to slip him through waivers.

Zach Clayton- His strength is unbelievable, nearly pulled a Reggie White and threw an offensive lineman into Ponder in the Vikings game and shucked another this week for a TFL. He is really raw however, and has shown very little pass-rush moves. He is a player that might not come out the other side of the wavier-wire if they decided to gamble.

Tommie Campbell- Has great length and abilities and already looks like a beast of a gunner on special teams. I don't think he is even a threat to be cut and will probably take Robert Johnson's roster spot.

Unbiased
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Sounds like bad news for the AFC South

bigbluedefense
08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
1. Prince - hurt. Won't play till week 4 at earliest.

2. Austin - Torn boobs. Out for the season.

3. Jernigan - Struggling with picking up the complexity of our offense. I don't expect much impact this year.

4. Brewer - He's big. He's got potential bc he's just a monster of a man. But he's our patented middle round project offensive linemen. That's how we develop our oline, get a project in the middle of the draft, put him in the farm system, and plug him in after 2 years of development.

5. Traded

6. Greg Jones - Looks pretty good. Not an impressive athlete, but he looks like a solid football player. I don't envision him ever being a star, but a very solid reliable backup who can be plugged in when injuries call his name to the starting lineup.

6. Sash - Looks very instinctual. Not a dominant athlete but he seems to have a knack for the ball and knows how to play. Another solid backup type who can fill in gaps in the starting lineup when injuries call.

7. That fast linebacker we drafted - He's ok I guess. He's a project. Not sure if he makes the team.

Giantsfan1080
08-24-2011, 03:27 PM
You forgot Da'Rell Scott BBD.

bigbluedefense
08-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Oh.

Scott - He's fast. He's a good 1 cut runner. I'm not sure how I feel about him yet. I think he's a little stiff and he doesn't have the best vision. I need to go back and watch him more closely. People seem to be higher on him than I am from first impressions.

bored of education
08-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Justin Houston - monster of an edge rusher, can also set the edge and never gets blown back when a run goes right at him. His weaknesses were in the run game and coverage. He often has shadowed TE's and RB's out of the back field, also showed natural ability of rolling hips and dropping into his zones. Even with his late start in camp, I think by week 4 he is the starting OLB opposite of Tamba. I see him getting 6-8 sacks and 2 FFs.

Spare me the comparison, but he reminds me of James Harrison. Houston is learning placement of hands and not allowing the Olinemen inside, he sheds them quickly. If he keeps improving in the run game he could be a monster. His ability to pressure the QB is well known, one thing I like about him is that he always goes for stack strip. had one last night but was ruled an incompletion (rightfully so)

V.I.P
08-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Houston falling to the 3rd roound was pretty dumb, guy had to be one of the best pure pass rushers.

bored of education
08-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Houston falling to the 3rd roound was pretty dumb, guy had to be one of the best pure pass rushers.

it was a perfect fit for KC since he played in a Romeo Crennel system at UGA his final year under Todd Grantham. He came late in too camp and has made a hell of a transition. He weighed in at 270 at the combine. I'm guessing he is playing at about 260 right now

Splat
08-27-2011, 01:15 PM
I will be pretty surprised if Houston isn't starting by mid season.

T-RICH49
08-27-2011, 03:40 PM
most of Stanzi''s passes last night were as accurate as I've ever seen a KC QB.was hitting a lot of uys in stride and threw a beautiful pass for the TD

lowlife
08-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Karl Klug- IMO the most impressive rookie thus far. Was unblock-able against the Vikings and was just steps away from about 3 sacks against the Rams. Probably the the favorite at this point to start at UT next to Shaun Smith. Just seems like teams can't get a good block on him.

KLUUUUUUUG

phlysac
08-27-2011, 07:06 PM
most of Stanzi''s passes last night were as accurate as I've ever seen a KC QB.

Superstar!!!

http://www.kcchiefsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/JoeMontana2.jpg

keylime_5
08-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Albeit it was against a center and rookie right guard (former teammate Danny Watkins), Phil Taylor totally beasted the Eagles' offensive line the other night.

For those wondering, Greg Little has looked pretty good this preseason, Phil Taylor looked solid the first two games (though he disappeared at times some say) before dominating thursday night...Owen Marecic has dropped some passes and it looks like his head is spinning right now...and Jason Pinkston is currently our starting left guard with Eric Steinbach's season in question due to a back injury. Oh yeah, and UDFA rookie OT Branndon Braxton from Oklahoma looks pretty good and is our backup at left and right tackle. UDFA rookie DB James Dockery from Oklahoma State has been impressive and should make the team.

V.I.P
08-28-2011, 01:42 AM
Da'Quan Bowers had 2 sacks vs Miami

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/1521156033/c2s_bowers082811_188767c.jpg

Will write about the rest of the rookies when/if i wake up.

V.I.P
08-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Adrian Clayborn was straight beast mode, he was in the backfield on damn near every play. Atleast 2 of our 5 sacks was cause of him.

Da'Quan Bowers Looked very explosive, he improved his repertoire of pass rush moves. He displayed a sexy spin move to get his sack. (NFL.com only crediting him with one sack, they gave Chad Henne forward progress on the other).

Mason Foster looked okay every time i noticed him.

Luke Stocker only had 1 catch, but made a couple good blocks in the run game.

Daniel Hardy This guy should be our #2 TE, he's a playmaker averaging like 22 yards a catch so far this preseason

Who cares about the rest of the draft class

ATLDirtyBirds
08-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Just a few notes on a couple of the Falcons.

Cliff Matthews- Looks very good. He'll probably make the roster and we'l most likely cut Chauncey Davis. I think Cliff can be a nice #3 DE down the line.

JaQuizz- I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to be a 20 touch a game guy (highly doubtful), but his power definitely translates, at least thus far. Should definitely be a contributor this year.

Julio- Still seems to have some issues with tracking the ball. However, he should be an absolute monster this year on crossing routes, slants, quick screens, etc. Much more elusive than I thought, runs well in the open field, and can obviously run people over.

bearsfan_51
08-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Gabe Carimi is our starting RT. He is big and plays football well.

vidae
08-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Jon Baldwin - Jury is still out as he hasn't been able to practice or play because of the locker room incident.

Rodney Hudson - He has looked okay. He was playing snaps at G and C last game, it looks like they're going to make him the swing guy on the interior this year.

Justin Houston - Beast. Constantly getting pressure and sacks. Good hips, is getting better on coverage.

Allen Bailey - Solid. Going to be a good rotational guy at any of the three dline positions.

Jalil Brown - Looked great in the first game but since then he has looked sloppy and lost. He will probably stick as a dime corner this year but he needs to work hard.

Ricky Stanzi - He has looked great so far. Has nice touch and accuracy. Not the strongest arm in the world but he looks like he will develop into a solid passer.

Gabe Miller - Played a bit with the second and third team defense and looked okay. They like him at ILB depth but he needs a lot of work if he wants to start. He's raw.

Jerrell Powe - He looks great at NT already, but it'll probably take a year or two to get fully adjusted to the NFL. Hard worker and good character guy.

Shane Bannon - Eh. Probably won't make the team though he probably should. He's not great at anything but he's solid at most things.

Diehard
08-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Von Miller - Oh yeah. Victimized the Seattle RT repeatedly last night (2 sacks, 4 pressures). Looked good vs run and pass. Scary combo with Doom coming from the other side. Starter at SLB.

Rahim Moore - Looks pretty good out there in centerfield. Starter at FS.

Orlando Franklin - Mauler in the run game, but still a ways to go in pass blocking. Starter at RT.

Nate Irving - Aggressive and has a nose for the ball, but is still trying to get up to speed. Backup to Joe Mays at MLB.

Quinton Carter - There's been a pretty good competition at S. Carter has made some plays, but not enough to stand out. Backup to Dawkins at SS.

Julius Thomas - The star of TC. 4 for 70 vs Seattle. Very nice weapon in the passing game. Blocking still needs lots of work. Starter at receiving TE.

Mike Mohamed - Smart with good instincts. Has been exposed in coverage, though. Contributes on special teams so he'll probably stick. Backup at both SLB and MLB.

Virgil Green - Much like Thomas, he can catch well but struggles a bit as a blocker. Would probably be a bigger contributor if Thomas wasn't having such a great TC. Backup at receiving TE.

Jeremy Beal - DE is another position where there has been good competition. Good showings by Jason Hunter, Derrick Harvey and Jeremy Jarmon have made it hard for Beal to get playing time. Had a nice TFL late in the game vs Seattle. Broncos might try to sneak him on to the practice squad.

Maybe This Year Mayhew
08-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Fairley still out with the foot. Lions Dline still beast mode without him but can't wait to see him back.

Titus Young finally saw game action. About 20 snaps. 1 catch for 19 yards. Good to see the hammy injury is finally behind him. I want to see him get some deep balls and prove to be a deep threat but it's nice to see Scheffler and Pettigrew both down the seam this preseason and Burleson has a couple deep catches along with Calvin. Titus will get some more playing time against Buffalo on Thursday. Any semblance of a deep threat from him is a bonus for the Lions offense.

LeShoure: I'm a sad panda. Will be interesting to see if he can come back in one year or if it will take longer most likely. Running game is junk up the middle in Detroit. Best off tackle and sweeps and short passes still work but Best MUST stay healthy. Harrison had a nice big gain on a screen. He still has some potential.

Doug Hogue: Not really standing out. Special teams at best

Culbreath: Decent in 3rd string, most likely practice squad.

BamaFalcon59
08-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Bargain pick of the draft thus far...QB Tyrod Taylor.

This!

And more this.

V.I.P
09-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Da'Quan Bowers had a sexy fumble return, then he lateraled it forward, and we got a 15 yard penalty *insert facepalm*

http://prod.static.buccaneers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/TB/photos/clubimages/2011/09-September/110901_Bucs_Redskins_WEB_0007--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Adrian Clayborn, Mason Foster, and Luke Stocker did not play.

Ahmad Black still injured, most likely will be cut.

Alan Bradford is barely averaging 2 yards a carry, i pray to god he is banned from the NFL.

Daniel Hardy overall has looked solid. Tonight he dropped a ball he should have caught, he's still currently in a duel for the 3rd TE job.

vidae
09-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Justin Houston is kind of a baller.

Go_Eagles77
09-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Danny Watkins G - Starting RG, might be our least impressive starting OL right now. I really hope a switch goes off in his head soon because using a 1st round pick on a 27 year old guard that never lives up to expectations would sting for a while. Big disappointment for me so far as I fully expected him to play well.

Jaiquawn Jarrett S - Had 1 pick this preseason but other than that was very quiet. Would be backup SS but got injured tonight and might be put on PUP (pure speculation).

Curtis Marsh CB - Was impressive in TC, didn't do anything special this preseason. Should still make the team and I think he has a lot of potential for the future.

Casey Matthews LB - Starting MLB, has improved over preseason but still big weakness in the defense. Has the brains but just doesn't seem to have the tools to be anything more than solid, which I would take at this point.

Alex Henery K - Made all kicks but 1 this preseason, still haven't seen nearly enough to make a judgement on how he'll play.

Dion Lewis RB - Probably my favorite pick. I was upset when Jacquizz Rogers went before we picked then we picked Lewis, but he looks to be every bit as good as Rogers so far. He's fast and elusive but also bounces off defenders and doesn't go down easy. Will probably be the starting KR.

Julian Vandervelde G - Solid backup G.

Jason Kelce C - Starting C, and while hasn't been overly impressive, has played better than Watkins at least.

Brian Rolle LB - Starting nickel LB with Jamar Chaney, is probably the 2nd or 3rd most impressive rookie. Only 5'9 or 5'10 but is very fast and has been very good in pass coverage and rushing the QB, recording 2.5 sacks in the last 2 weeks.

Greg Lloyd LB - Didn't do anything memorable from what I've seen, I'd be shocked if he makes the team.

Stanley Havili FB - Big disappointment, finished the preseason as the 3rd FB behind Owen Scmitt and Eldra f'n Buckley, a 5'9 RB. Goes without saying he doesn't have a shot at making the team.

hawkeye123
09-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Aldon Smith - Had 2.5 sacks vs SD, looked great rushing the passer. Most of his sacks were setup by Dobbs whom i'll get to later. I'll be shocked if he isn't starting over Haralson.

Colin Kaepernick - Struggled vs SD with 2 Ints, not surprised as he is a project who'll need a lot of work. He's played in a shotgun type of offense all of his life until now.

Chris Culliver - Got beat on a deep pass twice, avenged himself with by getting a pick on the 3rd deep ball thrown to him.

Kendall Hunter- This guy is a stud. He had a lot of help from ths O-Line, but he has a real good burst through the hole. Also did a great of pass protecting.

Daniel Kilgore - Didn't get a chance to watch him vs SD. He looked like a beast vs Houston last week though.

Mike Person - I saw one good block and that's about it.

Ronald Johnson - He's struggling, 50/50 chance he makes the team.

Colin Jones - Is a special team warrior. Not sure if he makes the team though.

Bruce Miller - Not sure if he gets the starting FB job over Norris, but he'll make the team because of his special teams ability.

Demarcus Dobbs - Easily the most impressive rookie for the 49ers. This guy is a stud who makes an impact on almost every play. No exaggeration. Forced a fumble, and caused like 4 or 5 sacks.

Unbiased
09-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Blaine Gabbert - Threw the ball well and showed scrambling ability but he did it against what was probably the 3rd string defense for St. Louis. Had some throws that he should of made but didn't, however he also had a couple of big drops. McCown has moved up to the 2nd string. He's always been a preseason stud. Gabbert probably won't play much this year.

Will Rackley - Didn't get a good look at him but Garrard was getting harassed for the couple of series he played. He and Monroe paved the way for Karim in the running game. Will start at LG week 1.

Cecil Shorts - Played well, got his first TD and should be the PR. I would expect him to at least be the slot receiver if not take Jason Hill's starting spot.

Chris Prosinski - Finally healthy. He's a really good tackler. Didn't get a good look in coverage but I'd rather start him than Courtney Greene so Landry can play SS which is his natural position. If Greene starts, Landry would have to be the FS because Greene is awful in coverage.

Rod Isaac - Fast and physical. I saw someone run him over even though he made the tackle, maybe Cadillac. Will probably be the dime back.

Jamar Newsome - The other UDFA WRs Binns and Inman were both were recently released. Newsome was Gabbert's favorite target against St. Louis and he showed good hands. He has a really good shot to make the team.

V.I.P
09-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Randall Cobb

Halsey
09-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd be a little worried about what I saw from Mark Ingram, if I was a Saints fan.

Shane P. Hallam
09-09-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd be a little worried about what I say from Mark Ingram, if I was a Saints fan.

I don't think he looked bad. 3.1 YPC, not great, but not terrible. Had burst. The big thing for him is getting in on passing downs. Gotta improve that blocking, it will give him more holes since the defense won't know when he is running.

Halsey
09-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't think he looked bad. 3.1 YPC, not great, but not terrible. Had burst. The big thing for him is getting in on passing downs. Gotta improve that blocking, it will give him more holes since the defense won't know when he is running.

I agree he didn't look that bad, but was he worth trading back into the first round for, instead of just waiting to take a different RB later.

Saints-Tigers
09-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I agree he didn't look that bad, but was he worth trading back into the first round for, instead of just waiting to take a different RB later.

Could have kept our pick from next year, and used the second rounder also in the trade to take LeShoure.

keylime_5
09-09-2011, 01:57 PM
new orleans was trailing the whole game and didn't really try to establish a running game as much as they would've if Green Bay didn't score so many points so quickly, and New Orleans' O-Line really didn't do him any favors. Ingram will be fine. I don't expect a monster year from him with Thomas and Sproles sharing time though and him being a rookie who isn't a dynamic option in the passing game.

Saints-Tigers
09-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Honestly, I can't wait till Ivory gets back, I hope he's ready at least by midseason, he's our best pure runner by a good margin IMO.

Caulibflower
09-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I'd be a little worried about what I saw from Mark Ingram, if I was a Saints fan.

Saints fans need to be more worried about their O-line's ability to run-block. Ingram showed flashes and good vision, but the holes just weren't there. People can't just look at the 3.1 average and failed touchdown and say, "See, I told you Mark Ingram sucks." The Saints have had problems power-running the ball forever.

Go_Eagles77
09-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Dion Lewis > Mark Ingram

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WuQwtgrkviQ/TkUcTvvktbI/AAAAAAAABRE/8Y6fm0mtBYc/trollface-problem-sticker.jpg

thenewfeature06
09-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Like I saw in another thread... Ingram started the game off with like 3 or 4 carries with about 4-5 yards per.

That line will hold him back, Ingram as a rookie of courseeeeeeee won't be able to make his line look better than they are.

Fact is he can be a top tier RB in this league but will probably never be a star just because he doesn't do anything great. Dion Lewis is legit though and still young, no way he is a starter at this stage but maybe he can fill out and keep his speed and become a Sproles type.

V.I.P
09-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Honestly, I can't wait till Ivory gets back, I hope he's ready at least by midseason, he's our best pure runner by a good margin IMO.

I like Pierre Thomas more than most, but Ingram & Ivory will be a dynamic duo in the near future.

Go_Eagles77
09-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Like I saw in another thread... Ingram started the game off with like 3 or 4 carries with about 4-5 yards per.

That line will hold him back, Ingram as a rookie of courseeeeeeee won't be able to make his line look better than they are.

Fact is he can be a top tier RB in this league but will probably never be a star just because he doesn't do anything great. Dion Lewis is legit though and still young, no way he is a starter at this stage but maybe he can fill out and keep his speed and become a Sproles type.

The Lewis comment was obviously a little tongue-in-cheek as I really like Ingram, but Lewis really is legit. He looked twice as good this preseason as McCoy did his rookie year (I know, I know, keyword preseason). I don't really know how much he needs to fill out as he is already about 5'7", 200. Also, his playing style reminds me more of Ray Rice/MJD than Sproles. He's not as fast as Sproles but he almost never goes down on first contact, and on top of that is shifty as hell. He's definitely surpassed my expectations and is the eagles rookie I'm most excited about.

[/homer]

thenewfeature06
09-10-2011, 09:56 AM
When I first typed that I was going to say MOJO but that is a stretch..could take him awile to mold into something like that.

LonghornsLegend
09-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Does Ivory's injury look to hinder him the rest of the season? It's like people forgot all about him and how great his rookie year was, the dude can play and I hope they find a role for him later.

As for the Cowboys, Tyron Smith is out a few weeks with a hyper-extended knee but he was an animal at RT all pre-season and he's going to play the whole year at 20 years old. His athleticism is Jason Smith territory, he's alot stronger then you'd expect and he has a mean streak where if he latches onto you it's over.

He's a prototype LT, but contrary to rumors after this season IMO he's staying at RT until Doug Free shows obvious decline. He graded out as one of the highest rated run blocking LT's last year and he's a very gifted pass blocker, he just doesn't have the athleticism or measurables of Tyron.

If he stays at RT, he'll be a top 5 RT in 2 years and that's not a bold prediction at all. He is as advertised, sucks he can't get a good test vs a Rex Ryan defense week 1.

CC.SD
09-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Let's throw a few thoughts out here...

Corey Liuget, I don't want to overplay my hand here but this guy has been outright ridiculous on the field. He is so, so fast for a 3-4 DE and has overpowered guys too, I think we might finally be onto something with one of our first rounders.

Marcus Gilchrist will be our nickel corner. He has looked good; the jury's still out on rookie impact but a good blue chip player at CB, in the vein of Antoine Cason who has worked out fantastically.

Jonas Mouton, looking good, was in a battle with Donald Butler (lost his rookie season to leg injury last year) to be our starting iLB and might have lost it but has laid some wood in the preseason and should be a heavy hitter in our back pocket.

Jordan Todman has delivered a passable Sproles impression this preseason, would love to see him keep it up.

The only guy I just haven't seen enough is Vincent Brown our rookie 3rd round wideout. The Chargers are deep here and UDFA Bryan Walters made the squad at the position too. All the talk around camp is that Brown is a polished route runner with legit speed and hands though so excited to see if he can develop.

Caulibflower
09-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Seahawks:

Carpenter lunging, falling, missing his block as Tarvaris gets sacked.

Doug Baldwin makes a nice catch. Baldwin made a few nice plays in preseason, too. Seems to be making some of the plays Deon Butler was supposed to provide.

Caulibflower
09-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Steve Smith is liking Cam Newton so far.

V.I.P
09-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Adrian Clayborn displayed a relentless motor, and was in the backfield alot. The rest of our rookies ain't do ****!

JBCX
09-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Adrian Clayborn displayed a relentless motor, and was in the backfield alot. The rest of our rookies ain't do ****!

That Da'Quan Bowers sure was a "steal" in the second round.

V.I.P
09-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Steve Smith is liking Cam Newton so far.

Cam is in the perfect situation in Carolina. Double headed monster in the run game. Same for the Tight End position. Plus has a guy named Steve Smith playing wideout.

Still didn't think he'd look this good this soon.

V.I.P
09-11-2011, 05:39 PM

He didn't look like a HOF in his first NFL start?

BUST, BUST, BUST!!!!

SuperMcGee
09-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Dareus looked pretty good. He held up well and the big runs were away from him. Had pressure that led to a sack. Also gave up a first down by falling for a hard count, though.

Aaron Williams played quite a bit due to McGee getting hurt, which will be s recurring trend. Often tries to go for the football and the only touchdown we gave up today had him going for the ball late and missing. Looked good tackling and almost had a pick on a break. Could see a lot of time as the nickel.

Kelvin Sheppard recovered a fumble on the opening kickoff, leading to a short field and early lead.

Chris Hairston and Johnny White played a decent amount of clock-killing garbage time. Hairston had a bad play or two, but he has looked decent when healthy.

bucfan12
09-11-2011, 05:51 PM

HAHAHAHA. Wow. 1 start. Ryan Leaf looked like a top 5 QB in his 1st start, where is he now?

Come on guy. He was limited as a rotational guy today. It takes time for rookie d-lineman to get the hang of it. Like Clayborn today. He showed a relentless motor, but a lot of times he was over-pursuing in the run game. The Bucs defense is too young. They looked lost at times. Inexperience is going to hurt them on defense.

Pat Sims 90
09-11-2011, 06:05 PM
1. AJ Green- Struggled today against Haden. Had the Game Winning TD but was wide open.

2. Andy Dalton- Looked solid today was 10-15 with a TD and no INTs. Hurt wrist before Halftime. Indications are Xrays were negative. Could start next week.

4th. Clint Boling- Started at RG and was solid all game.

Caulibflower
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Seahawks:

Carpenter lunging, falling, missing his block as Tarvaris gets sacked.

Doug Baldwin makes a nice catch. Baldwin made a few nice plays in preseason, too. Seems to be making some of the plays Deon Butler was supposed to provide.

...DOUUUUG BALDWIIIIIIIIN!

SeanTaylorRIP
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Kerrigan looks like a beast in the making, far better of an athlete than expected. Chris Nield also is a beast, endless motor. Niles Paul stuck out like a sore thumb on special teams, reminds me of Devin Thomas.

CC.SD
09-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Corey Liuget is already in contention for our best defensive player not named Phillips. Great game today against the pass and Peterson.

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Corey Liuget is already in contention for our best defensive player not named Phillips. Great game today against the pass and Peterson.

I'm glad Liuget went to the Chargers. That's the best possible fit for him, IMO. Just fits what you guys like to do with defensive linemen perfectly and his physical skills didn't get enough play during the draft because of the Illinois factor.

fenikz
09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Peterson did alright got beat by Smith once for a TD and allowed quite a few catches in front of him on outs. Was in a lot of zone coverage. Also had a 89 yard punt return for a TD

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d822251fd/WK-1-Can-t-Miss-Play-Peterson-89-yard-punt-return-TD

Anthony Sherman looked good, solid pass protection & run blocking

David Carter looked great when he was rotated in. Has no chance at taking Williams spot as a starter but he will certainly get a lot of playing time on subbing in at all 3 spots and on 3rd down

ElectricEye
09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Nate Solder got the best of Cameron Wake last night, aside from the drive at the end of the half. He did allow one sack, but that was more of a coverage thing. The only REALLY ugly play was when Wake beat him off the snap and ran straight by him on the play before, causing Solder to hold him. That was bad. Aside from that, he put Wake on the ground quite a bit and was able to slide and mirror him with relative ease. It's real encouraging to see him shut down one of the most explosive pass rushers in the league right out of the gate. Remains to be seen how he'll do against some bigger, stronger 4-3 defensive ends, but he did his job last night and looks to have a pretty bright future as a tackle.

XxXdragonXxX
09-13-2011, 02:57 PM
...DOUUUUG BALDWIIIIIIIIN!

Really really liking this Doug Baldwin kid.

No chance of winning over Cam Newton, but he's nominated for Rookie of the week. All the other nominees were drafted in rounds 1 or 2, Baldwin is a UDFA.

RaiderNation
09-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Taiwan Jones and Denarius Moore barely saw the field, which was surprising since Hue was saying they would be involved. Only rookie that really made a impact was Wisniewski at LG, who helped the Raiders dominate running left along with Veldheer. He did has a few flags, but he did his job well for a rookie.

V.I.P
09-14-2011, 01:34 PM
After reading this article, (http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=54207) i feel a lot better about Mason Foster's performance.

He only played 43% of the game (29 snaps). Due to him not being "ready" to play in nickel situations. So i will take 7 tackles in 29 snaps. Still wanna see him blow a RB up in the backfield, and more splash plays, etc..

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Randall Cobb:

2ZUEYmdGOE8
Qmc1yVmuXxk

Unbiased
09-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Gabbert: Didn't play.

Rackley: Started at LG. He had a nice block on Jones-Drew's touchdown. Got called for holding on another play that wasn't enforced. Ups and downs for him.

Shorts: Played a few snaps on offense but never got the ball. He was the punt returner and had a nice return for 20 yards or so.

Prosinski: Played on special teams. Didn't stand out.

Issac: Didn't play.

Newsome: Played on special teams. Didn't stand out.

Rutland: Didn't play.

Bradfield: Had a few snaps at RT I believe. He and Whimper shouldn't see the field much when Britton is healthy.

killxswitch
09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Nate Solder got the best of Cameron Wake last night, aside from the drive at the end of the half. He did allow one sack, but that was more of a coverage thing. The only REALLY ugly play was when Wake beat him off the snap and ran straight by him on the play before, causing Solder to hold him. That was bad. Aside from that, he put Wake on the ground quite a bit and was able to slide and mirror him with relative ease. It's real encouraging to see him shut down one of the most explosive pass rushers in the league right out of the gate. Remains to be seen how he'll do against some bigger, stronger 4-3 defensive ends, but he did his job last night and looks to have a pretty bright future as a tackle.

His performance speaks highly of the NE OL coaching staff.

Speaking of rookie OLmen, Anthony Castonzo is already the best OLman for the Colts. Which isn't saying much but he has looked solid especially for a rookie. Ijalana is not starting yet but I doubt it will be long til he is. The starter at RT has not looked good.

niel89
09-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Really really liking this Doug Baldwin kid.

No chance of winning over Cam Newton, but he's nominated for Rookie of the week. All the other nominees were drafted in rounds 1 or 2, Baldwin is a UDFA.

I'm really glad that Baldwin is getting a legit shot in the NFL. He was money at Stanford. He and Luck were superb in the redzone together. He was clearly Luck's go to guy all year long. He just wasn't that intriguing as a prospect because of H/W/S.

Caulibflower
09-14-2011, 03:03 PM
... He just wasn't that intriguing as a prospect because of H/W/S.

He's a smaller receiver, yeah, but he showed some legit speed on his long touchdown. He's 5'10 190ish, which isn't really that small. But check out those pro day #s:

40 - 4.48

Broad Jump - 10'3"

Vertical - 37"

3-cone - 6.56

10-yard split - 1.54

According to nfldraftscout.com. Hurt him to be a one-year wonder who only came on as a senior, and was catching his passes from the consensus best quarterback in college football. I wouldn't really say he got passed on because of his measurables, though, because he compares very favorably to his peers. Hopefully he can provide a little spark for an utterly inept offense.

ElectricEye
09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
His performance speaks highly of the NE OL coaching staff.

Speaking of rookie OLmen, Anthony Castonzo is already the best OLman for the Colts. Which isn't saying much but he has looked solid especially for a rookie. Ijalana is not starting yet but I doubt it will be long til he is. The starter at RT has not looked good.

Good to hear about Castonzo. Boston College really misses him right now haha. Really liked that pair of linemen you guys got. I wanted Ijalana pretty bad.

It really does say how good we coach linemen, I agree. That's one thing I'll just flat out say I'm completely pleased with. We've done such a good job with bringing guys into our system and getting them to play better than they ever have before. It's also nice to see an influx of talent at that position though. We've gotten by with technically sound, untalented guys for a very long time. Vollmer, and now Solder, really landed in a good spot for a toolsy offensive tackle in need of coaching. Can't wait to see what we do with Marcus Cannon next year after he beats cancer. Apprehensive about what type of fit he'll be in our more zone orientated blocking scheme with all the pulls and screens, but I'm pretty confident it will work out given our track record.

Caulibflower
09-14-2011, 03:19 PM
He's a smaller receiver, yeah, but he showed some legit speed on his long touchdown. He's 5'10 190ish, which isn't really that small. But check out those pro day #s:

40 - 4.48

Broad Jump - 10'3"

Vertical - 37"

3-cone - 6.56

10-yard split - 1.54

According to nfldraftscout.com. Hurt him to be a one-year wonder who only came on as a senior, and was catching his passes from the consensus best quarterback in college football. I wouldn't really say he got passed on because of his measurables, though, because he compares very favorably to his peers. Hopefully he can provide a little spark for an utterly inept offense.

Comparisons:

Randall Cobb (combine) - 5'11" 186, 4.46, 9'7" Broad, 33.5 Vert, 7.08 3-cone.
Only big difference I really found in Cobb's favor was 16 bench reps to Baldwin's 6.

Jerrel Jernigan (pro day) - 5'9" 185, 4.40 (4.46 combine), 10'1" Broad, 38 Vert, 6.96 3-cone. 1.45 10-yard split (nice.)
Jernigan had 11 bench reps at the combine.

So he's in the same mold as these guys who went much higher. At least physically. Not as strong, but that 3-cone is pretty crazy. I dunno. I'm making this post mostly because I'm bored in class, but I just think it's pretty obviously a situation where his production was underrated due to his situation, not because he didn't measure out as a player NFL teams wanted.

keylime_5
09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Phil Taylor- played great, landed on Andy Dalton and hurt Dalton's wrist. Great DT combo with Ahtyba Rubin. Bengals didn't run up the middle much, almost every time to the weakside off tackle.

Jabaal Sheard - mixed reviews depending on who you asked. Played well but didn't generate as much of a pass-rush off the edge as you would like.

Greg Little - layed a devastating block on the punter on a Cribbs PR, but unfortunately ran into Cribbs on that block on what would've been a TD in the fourth quarter. Was the #3 receiver, but with Evan Moore playing flex TE more like the #4 receiver. Outplayed Brian Robiskie, should start before long.

Jordan Cameron - not sure if he played. maybe on special teams.

Owen Marecic - off to a slow start. game hasn't slowed down for him yet.

Buster Skrine - continues to be the surprise of this draft class. Rotated with Dimitri Patterson as the nickelback and played well. Used his sub-4.3 speed to drop a Bengals return man inside the 10 yard line on a kickoff.

Jason Pinkston - started at LG and coach said he played well for a rookie. Didn't have problems in pass pro, but the offensive line as a unit didn't look good, so grain of salt.

Eric Hagg- DNP, injured still.

So Taylor and Skrine are very good so far, Pinkston is solid so far, Little and Sheard look like they are gonna be solid starters at least. Marecic bad early returns, Hagg is hurt, and Cameron is a redshirt guy.

Breed
09-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Casey Matthews doesn't belong in the NFL

bucfan12
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Casey Matthews doesn't belong in the NFL

I heard the Eagles loved his potential, that's why they passed on MLBs in Free agency. How bad was he?

HellonEarth84
09-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Nate Solder: Played RT due to Vollmer being injured. He dominated one of the best pass rushers (Cameron Wake) for most of the game. Gave up 1 sack but it was a coverage sack where Brady held the ball way too long. It's only 1 game, but Solder is looking like a solid pick that should lock down our QB's blindside for a long long time. Could possibly take the starters role from Matt Light this year.

Ras-I Dowling: Had some key coverages in the game, especially in the redzone. Didn't get burned. Looked very good and is already starting opposite Devin McCourty. Could be another steal for the Pats.

Steven Ridley: DNP on Monday. Looked good in Preseason. I wonder if BB is saving him for cold weather / playoff time?

killxswitch
09-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Good to hear about Castonzo. Boston College really misses him right now haha. Really liked that pair of linemen you guys got. I wanted Ijalana pretty bad.

It really does say how good we coach linemen, I agree. That's one thing I'll just flat out say I'm completely pleased with. We've done such a good job with bringing guys into our system and getting them to play better than they ever have before. It's also nice to see an influx of talent at that position though. We've gotten by with technically sound, untalented guys for a very long time. Vollmer, and now Solder, really landed in a good spot for a toolsy offensive tackle in need of coaching. Can't wait to see what we do with Marcus Cannon next year after he beats cancer. Apprehensive about what type of fit he'll be in our more zone orientated blocking scheme with all the pulls and screens, but I'm pretty confident it will work out given our track record.

I remember Vollmer's rookie year he was matched up one-on-one with Freeney. For the most part Vollmer handled him the entire game without a ton of help.

Brady was getting ridiculous time in the pocket to throw the ball. It's no wonder he threw for 500 yards.

I expect Cannon, even as athletic as he is, will slim down to a playing weight more around 320-330. And that's assuming he isn't already down below that from his cancer treatment and recovery process. It's almost unfair how good the NE future OL looks. ****in Pats.

Breed
09-16-2011, 08:07 PM
I heard the Eagles loved his potential, that's why they passed on MLBs in Free agency. How bad was he?

Guy looked completely lost out there. He over ran a few plays, missed a tackle,or too, and looked like **** in coverage a few times.

I'm gonna cut him some slack though, it was his first NFL, plus no off season.

Thecollegedropout
09-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Jets Rookies Week 1 vs DAL

DE Mohammed Wilkerson....same as his play in preseason. Nothing flashy, never really got pressure on Tony Romo once in the game if I recall. However, he was apart of a unit that held the Cowboys in check as far as the running game goes. I don't know if he will ever be overwhelming but he does the little things on defense that go unnoticed.

NT Kenrick Ellis was a DNP. He's going to be saved up if an injury on the D-Line occurs. Still learning the playbook fully.

RB Bilal Powell was a DNP, he is likewise going to be saved up if an injury comes at RB. Might be the James Starks of this year as far as coming on late as a power back.

WR Jeremy Kerley was just alright in punt returns. Muffed his first fair catch but thankfully it fell out of bounds. Outside of that, he gave a return of 8-10 yards usually. Not terrible. Did not get utilized in the wildcat or as a WR which some Jet fans thought he might have been as he looked real good as the Brad Smith replacement in the Wildcat.

QB Greg McElroy is on the IR due to a messed up finger. Probably could have cameback during the 2nd half of the season but his roster spot was too important so he got put on IR. He was looking really good in preseason minus game 4 too.

Not a whole lot as far as overly contributing rookies for the Jets go but I have faith in Wilkerson and Kerley that the big time plays will be coming for them.

vidae
09-16-2011, 11:32 PM
No one on the Chiefs made any impact whatsoever last week, but it is interesting to note that Justin Houston was promoted to the OLB spot opposite Tamba already. Andy Studebaker is back to being second string.

LonghornsLegend
09-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Jets Rookies Week 1 vs DAL

DE Mohammed Wilkerson....same as his play in preseason. Nothing flashy, never really got pressure on Tony Romo once in the game if I recall. However, he was apart of a unit that held the Cowboys in check as far as the running game goes. I don't know if he will ever be overwhelming but he does the little things on defense that go unnoticed.

NT Kenrick Ellis was a DNP. He's going to be saved up if an injury on the D-Line occurs. Still learning the playbook fully.

RB Bilal Powell was a DNP, he is likewise going to be saved up if an injury comes at RB. Might be the James Starks of this year as far as coming on late as a power back.

WR Jeremy Kerley was just alright in punt returns. Muffed his first fair catch but thankfully it fell out of bounds. Outside of that, he gave a return of 8-10 yards usually. Not terrible. Did not get utilized in the wildcat or as a WR which some Jet fans thought he might have been as he looked real good as the Brad Smith replacement in the Wildcat.

QB Greg McElroy is on the IR due to a messed up finger. Probably could have cameback during the 2nd half of the season but his roster spot was too important so he got put on IR. He was looking really good in preseason minus game 4 too.

Not a whole lot as far as overly contributing rookies for the Jets go but I have faith in Wilkerson and Kerley that the big time plays will be coming for them.

Love the re-haul the Jets did on their defensive line, hope those guys pan out. McElroy is gonna be a keeper as a back-up QB in this league. I actually think he'll be the type of guy who can be a starter late in his career if given the chance, he's a winner, incredibly smart, wants to learn, and it's not like he's lacking the talent to play.

bucfan12
09-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Guy looked completely lost out there. He over ran a few plays, missed a tackle,or too, and looked like **** in coverage a few times.

I'm gonna cut him some slack though, it was his first NFL, plus no off season.

Yeah I hear ya. It doesn't mean they don't belong in the NFL, it's just that the lockout hurt most rookies.

Tampa MLB Mason Foster, who many scouts say has great instincts and is a physical thumper, looked confused and out of position most of the game. He showed flash and didn't miss tackles, but was out of position on several passing plays that left TEs and RBs WIDE OPEN.

It's going to take some time for guys like Matthews and Foster, IMO. Better let them play and learn from mistakes.

LonghornsLegend
09-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Yea we need to keep in mind the lockout situation when judging any 1st year players, or young players in general. It be nice if every rookie came out of the gates firing on all cylinders, but when you have no OTA's, no rookie mini camps, no playbook, no NFL conditioning among other things, it's even harder to expect a guy to produce right away.

Even with all those things, for some guys the light doesn't come on for them after a few years anyway. I'm trying not to judge too much one way or the other knowing that, but the guys who do produce right away at a high level are much more impressive for me at least anyway.

bucfan12
09-17-2011, 05:48 PM
I guess I'll throw some Buc rookie week 1 evaluations:

Adrian Clayborn: Only had half a tackle, but got pressure in the face of of Stafford. The whole d-line was worn down being on the field for 35+ minutes. Overpursued on some plays as well.

Deqwan Bowers: Was limited, but played well against the run. Coaching staff is taking there time in limiting him.

Mason Foster: Seemed out of position a lot, along with the other LBs. When the d-line got pressure, there was a check down wide open consistantly. Foster wasn't in much on passing downs as he's still learning the defense.

Luke Stocker: Played very limited. Got wide open for an easy TD catch that he let slip through his hands.

REST: did not play/.

JBCX
09-18-2011, 08:25 AM
The Bucs were one of two teams that were held without a sack last week.

Moral of the story: relying on rookies everywhere does not a good defense make.

49ersfan_87
09-18-2011, 11:13 AM
The Bucs were one of two teams that were held without a sack last week.

Moral of the story: relying on rookies everywhere does not a good defense make.

Were the Seahawks the other team? I don't remember them sacking Alex.

tjsunstein
09-18-2011, 11:15 AM
No one on the Chiefs made any impact whatsoever last week, but it is interesting to note that Justin Houston was promoted to the OLB spot opposite Tamba already. Andy Studebaker is back to being second string.
I think Justin Houston can thrive there. He was one of my favorite prospects in the draft, kind of hoped that Green Bay would snag him.

V.I.P
09-18-2011, 06:54 PM
adian Clayborn - It was really hard ro evaluate the DEs since AP was running all day long.

Mason Foster - is a tackling machine, also get his first career sack today. He was in on 3rd down/nickel situations this week. I guess he's picking up the playbook quickly.

Da'Quan Bowers - see above

Luke Stocker - had a nice catch, and run. that was it...

no one else played

MetSox17
09-18-2011, 06:56 PM
adian Clayborn - It was really hard ro evaluate the DEs since AP was running all day long.

You could evaluate how they played the run..?

Thecollegedropout
09-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Love the re-haul the Jets did on their defensive line, hope those guys pan out. McElroy is gonna be a keeper as a back-up QB in this league. I actually think he'll be the type of guy who can be a starter late in his career if given the chance, he's a winner, incredibly smart, wants to learn, and it's not like he's lacking the talent to play.
Wilkerson came through today :D

Only 3 rookies played for NYJ today vs JAX:

DE Mohammed Wilkerson: Responsible for the 2011-2012 season's 1st safety. He absolutely bullied Jags 3rd round pick OG Will Rackley on that safety sack he got on McCown. He had a dominant 1st quarter but didn't really stand out after that. He was apart of a decent group that did an alright job on MJD. Helped the OLB(Pace and B. Thomas) to come after McCown and apply pressure. Awesome game by Wilkerson, finally that big play came to him that really set the tempo of the Jets D overpowering the Jags O. Overall, a steady game from Wilk. He plays like a veteran.

WR Jeremy Kerley: Same old, mainly used as a punt returner. Had no hiccups at all but he really didn't do much as far as a return goes. One thing I do have to compliment him on is that he gets when to let the ball go into the endzone and when to fair catch it. Just 1 time that the Jags punter Matt Turk got the ball inside the 10. I might be reaching for straws in regards to this but its such an underrated key aspect that a punt returner needs to understand and he seems to get the program.

C Colin Baxter who was an UDFA signing by SD but did not make their roster was signed by the Jets a day after. He made his NFL debut yesterday when he came in for an injured Nick Mangold. He had his moments of alright and bad. On the Jags goal line, he got pancaked badly and overmatched. But for the most part, considering he had zero snaps with Sanchez or chemistry, there were zero bad snaps by him. Not terrible for Baxter and he might be needed big time with this recent Mangold injury and he faces Tommy Kelly, Haloti Ngata and Vince Wilfork in the coming weeks which spells doom.

The others got a DNP.

Thecollegedropout
09-18-2011, 07:03 PM
I also want to say that Blane Gabbert looked pretty decent as a rookie considering Marcedes Lewis did not play and that he was basically fed to the Wolves(Jets D). He showed me in 1 more quarter plenty more than what McCown did in one half. Nice evasion out of a sack, good short dink and dunk passes, has a nice arm(Overshot his WR badly on the sidelines though). His debut could have been a whole lot worse given the situation.

While I think JDR sticks with McCown for next week, I would have to say Gabbert probably offers more to the table at this point. Then again it is tough to evaluate when its such a lobsided game.