PDA

View Full Version : Bowers: Steal of the 2011 Draft?

bucfan12
07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=7086

He's looked explosive off the ball. Maybe all this guy needed was time to rehad. Back at the end of June he and his trainer and doctors said he was 100% ready to go. I think teams really took too much about his 'chronical knee' injury. GOOD JOB DOMINIK!

tjsunstein
07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Steal of the draft already and it's July 29th? Keep it in your pants. It's cool that you're excited and all but this thread is about 5 years premature.

bucfan12
07-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Steal of the draft already and it's July 29th? Keep it in your pants. It's cool that you're excited and all but this thread is about 5 years premature.

All I'm saying is his doctors and trainers confirmed he's 100% and that his chronic knee issues were absolutely overblown and just needed time for rehab.

Unbiased
07-29-2011, 02:35 PM
All I'm saying is his doctors and trainers confirmed he's 100% and that his chronic knee issues were absolutely overblown and just needed time for rehab.

I thought the problem wasn't that he wouldn't be able to play right away. Wasn't the problem that he'll have to retire after 4 or so years? So him looking beastly now doesn't do anything to dispel that concern.

YAYareaRB
07-29-2011, 02:37 PM
anyone looking beastly now doesnt do anything

keylime_5
07-29-2011, 02:43 PM
the problem isn't how healthy he is now...it's that a lot of people are concerned that he won't play for more than a few years - a one contract player, maybe less. if it weren't for the knee issues he would've been a top 5 pick. when he's fully healthy everyone in the league expects him to produce, but how long will he be fully healthy?

fenikz
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
he wouldn't of been a top 5 pick no matter what, but he probably would be a top 15 pick if he had good knees

tjsunstein
07-29-2011, 03:47 PM

I thought the problem wasn't that he wouldn't be able to play right away. Wasn't the problem that he'll have to retire after 4 or so years? So him looking beastly now doesn't do anything to dispel that concern.
Hence me saying that this thread is about 5 years premature. Shelf life is and will be the issue with him.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
It's not like Bowers was a one hit wonder or anything.

niel89
07-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Come back in 3 years. That was one of the bigger issues with him. Can he be healthy after the wear and tear after a few seasons.

etk
07-29-2011, 05:36 PM
he wouldn't of been a top 5 pick no matter what, but he probably would be a top 15 pick if he had good knees

We'll never know for sure, but respectable analysts like Nolan Nawrocki had him going #1 overall and fronting the PFW magazine before the injury became public.

It's not like Bowers was a one hit wonder or anything.

It's not like he was 1 and then 2 years removed from high school with a weight issue. His weight issue is resolved and bam there's your production. Many 1st round DEs are 1-year wonders, it's really not a big deal. What matters is whether or not they started in that span or not...1 year starters are usually busts. Bowers was a major contributor from day 1, he just needed an epiphany to dedicate himself.

I don't think he'll be the steal of the draft, but these early reports are encouraging. One thing to keep in mind is that Bowers was expected to be 100% at the start of TC...the question is whether or not he'll stay that way. His injury was reported to be a lingering one that limits his reps .

Shane P. Hallam
07-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I get a feeling the "steal of the draft" will come much later than the 2nd round.

Iamcanadian
07-29-2011, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't put too much into statements about player's performance or health this early in the training camp. It is all about selling tickets this time of the year and coaches will never say anything negative to discourage fans.
Bowers has a shot to be good for 3 or 4 years but he will never be a player who is 100% healthy but if used right, he can be effective as a part time starter.
He will always be 1 hit away from ending his career prematurely.

ellsy82
07-29-2011, 08:01 PM

Et, et, et...I wouldn't use the word 'overblown' when talking about Bowers' knee. Just fair warning.

PossibleCabbage
07-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Even if Bowers is entirely healthy and "ought to have" gone high in the first round, it's worthwhile to consider that a significant percentage of first round DEs bust anyway.

See for example: Derrick Harvey, Lawrence Jackson, Gaines Adams (R.I.P.), Jamaal Anderson, Jarvis Moss, and Erasmus James.

Most of those guys had healthy knees when they were rookies too.

keylime_5
07-29-2011, 10:39 PM

the guy only led the nation in sacks as a junior and was a great (albeit not a "freak") athlete at the most highly valued position in the NFL draft aside from QB and maybe LT. If he wouldn't have been a top 5 pick (most had him in the top 3 before the injury news came out) he certainly would've been top 10. I mean freakin' Aldon Smith went #7 overall.

descendency
07-30-2011, 12:04 AM
I get a feeling the "steal of the draft" will come much later than the 2nd round.

Like Marcus Cannon in round 5. . . :D

Pat Sims 90
07-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Like Marcus Cannon in round 5. . . :D

No Clint Boling in the 4th ;)

SenorGato
07-30-2011, 03:53 AM
I think you guys are looking for Kenrick Ellis, Round 3.

Roddoliver
07-30-2011, 07:12 AM
I think you guys are looking for Kenrick Ellis, Round 3.

Cool. I'll try to visit him in jail some day.

vidae
07-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh hey, a Bucs fan started this post. Color me shocked.

Yawn. Wake me up when he has played in an NFL game.

onejayhawk
07-30-2011, 10:30 PM

Had he been fully healthy, he might have been the #1 pick. If not there, then very likely to Denver at #2.

The steal of the draft is either Mallett in round 3 or Cannon in round 5, both by New England.

J

dunagan15
07-31-2011, 01:02 AM

Quizz is gonna be so good.

onejayhawk
07-31-2011, 02:47 PM

Not necessarily. Getting a top 5 value in round 2 is a major steal. For example, you can argue that Nnamdi was the steal of his draft, and he went 1st round.

However to make Bowers a top 5 value, you would have to undo the injury, not just heal it.

J

PossibleCabbage
07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
However to make Bowers a top 5 value, you would have to undo the injury, not just heal it.

You also have to have the player actually pan out. I mean, guys like J.J. Stokes, Chad Jackson, Brady Quinn, Andre Wadsworth, and Matt Leinart were labeled as "steals" right after the draft, based on comparing where we thought they "should" have gone versus where they actually went. Most demonstrated through their play that they should actually have been taken later.

I mean, just because you're a DE who is a legitimate top 10 value by virtue of actually being selected in the top 10 of the draft, doesn't mean you can actually play the position in the NFL.

DraftnikCentral
08-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Hard to call any 1st round pick the steal of the draft, even in hindsight. Kinda hard even in the 2nd but Bowers would certainly fit that bill if he remained healthy and overcame the knee issues people think he will eventually have. Another 2nd round guy that might fit the bill, CB Brandon Harris, Texans. Cannon, more health concerns but certainly a talent and candidate. Mallett is a legit candidate too, especially if he can have success in the post Brady years.

I can think of a lot more candidates but here are just a few other guys not mentioned I'd consider:

OLB Martez Wilson (3rd - Saints).
WR Greg Salas (4th - Rams).
DT Christian Ballard (4th - Vikings).
CB Davon House (4th - Packers).
RB Jordan Todman (6th - Chargers)
TE Virgil Green (7th - Broncos).

GatorsBullsFan
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I got a feeling Chris Prosinski S Wyoming

etk
08-05-2011, 11:09 PM
^ Really close to sounding coherent and on-topic, well done spambot.

ellsy82
08-06-2011, 05:41 AM
I like Greg Salas. I think he has just enough physical talent to make it as a pro. Perfect slot receiver, imo.