PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Colts' Draft Thread - Colts are on the Clock

Dam8610
07-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Might as well start now. How I see the needs playing out by season's end:

SS - Perhaps Lefeged steps up in camp and shows starter potential, but I'm not counting on it. That leaves Melvin Bullitt as the starter, and that leaves a lot to be desired. Back when Bethea and Sanders formed one of the best safety tandems in the NFL, the Colts defense was among the best units in the NFL. Look for the team to try to recapture that magic by investing in that position early in next year's draft.

WR - This may be a headscratcher to some, but a breakdown of the position reveals just how big of an issue it is. Reggie Wayne is 33, looked mediocre last year, and is in a contract year. Austin Collie had two concussions last season, so health is a major concern, Anthony Gonzalez has missed the majority of the last two seasons due to injury, and Pierre Garcon is frustratingly inconsistent. Thus the position could be anywhere from the team's biggest need to a non-issue in next year's draft. Thus, it comes in right after SS on the need list.

LB - Even if you think Angerer and Conner are the best OLBs the Colts have had in some time, depth is still needed, and Brackett doesn't have many seasons left in the tank.

Interior OL - Another position that could be anywhere from non-issue to glaring need, Saturday must be replaced after this season and two players need to step up and claim the OG spots. This will probably be a need position, though, unless you believe in McClendon, Kirkpatrick, and Thomas.

TE - Dallas Clark is 32, and while I like Tamme and Eldridge, neither is a starting NFL TE. This is probably a need that won't be addressed until 2013 (unless an amazing opportunity presents itself), but it is a need for the near future.

MaxV
07-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Good idea Dam.

The most glaring needs I can see right now are OL and SS, but like you've mentioned, age is an issue on this team at some positions.

RCAChainGang
08-12-2011, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing another corner. A lot of it will be assessed with how Lacey and Tryon pan out though.

MaxV
08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing another corner. A lot of it will be assessed with how Lacey and Tryon pan out though.

Agreed. Both Lacey and Tryon are more suited for nickelback role.

We still don't know what we have in Thomas and Rucker.

killxswitch
08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Agreed. Both Lacey and Tryon are more suited for nickelback role.

We still don't know what we have in Thomas and Rucker.

I would like to see more of Tryon before I agree he is better in nickel situations. He made a fair number of plays on the ball last year in coverage. I like him. Lacey is better as a dime back preferably covering someone slow and weak.

I don't count on Thomas holding up in the NFL. Rucker might be a player though.

SS is definitely the position of greatest need next year but I also agree WR is up there. It will be hard to ever trust Gonzo's health. Same for Collie. Garcon needs to prove this year that he can hang onto the ball. They can get by if they don't get a #1 or #2 WR next draft but after that it becomes critical.

I would like to see McClendon and somebody else earn and deserve the guard spots so we don't have to invest too much at the position. This has got to be Saturday's last season. Right? Need somebody there, too.

Depending on Hughes DE might also be a position of need. Freeney is getting old.

Prowler
11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
I've tried not to watch any Colts games this year(painful to watch), but I'm making an educated stab that this is the kind of draft they need.

1) Luck
2) Konz or Brewster
3) Best available corner taller than 5'8". Maybe Cliff Harris falls? I've seen Stephon Gilmore on a few sites at this pick as well.
4) WR Joe Adams, Jordan White? PR vs Solid Hands
5-7) BPA Safety & Dline emphasis

MaxV
11-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Brewster had a HORRIBLE day today.

Prowler
11-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Think Ben Jones has passed him yet?

redviper311
12-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I have put together two mock draft 2012 versions Rd 1-4, Pre-college FB BCS Bowls.

1.0v (this centers around the 1st overall pick)

Rd1: Andrew Luck (h6'4" w235), QB, Standford
Rd2: Kevin Zeitler (h6'4" w315), OG, Wisconsin
Rd3: DeQuan Menzie (h6'0" w198), CB, Alabama
Rd4: Greg Childs (h6'3" w217), WR, Arkansas

1.5v

Rd1: Morris Claiborne (h6'0" w185), CB, LSU
Rd2: Kevin Zeitler (h6'4" w315), OG, Wisconsin
Rd3: B.J. Coleman (h6'5" w220), QB, TN-Chattanooga (or) Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
Rd4: Greg Childs (h6'3" w217), WR, Arkansas

Now granted this is pre-combine and pro days, but I thought it would be fun to throw one around. Greg Childs falling the bottom 3rd to early 4th rounds could be wishful thinking, but Wayne may not be a Colt next season and we don't have his replacement on the roster IMO. On 1.5v of the mock I even toyed with the idea of Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State as the Rd1 pick and a CB with the Rd4 pick.

Any thoughts?

MaxV
12-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I like it. I do hope to find a stud DT in this draft. Could Worthy or Poe fall to 2nd?

MaxV
01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
It's time to revive this thread.

Please post Team needs.

Prowler
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
With Polian gone, I believe the Colts will go with more of a BPA strategy instead of the rigid "system guys" that they've been known to take. At least after watching how well it has worked for the Lions, I don't know how the Colts wouldn't try and copy that.

As for needs...well I'm going to try this backwards. Channeling Ed Harris from Apollo 13, let's see what we have that actually works.

Good Pieces that aren't Free Agents

Defense
Antoine Bethea-I love him.
Freeney
Angerer

Offense
Castonzo
Ijalana-Needs to be healthy but should be someplace on the line.
Peyton Manning

*crickets*

That's ******* it. Seriously.

Needs:
-2 starting corners that are worth a damn
-dominant defensive tackle, maybe another for depth and rotation
-younger defensive end to start
-starting safety across from Bethea
-replacement center for Saturday
-another guard and guard/tackle depending on Ijalana's final position
-elite running back, they have a bunch of nothing right now but its mostly the oline's fault.
-heir/insurance policy for Peyton Manning

Free Agents- Previous Cap Hit
Reggie Wayne-8.03M
Robert Mathis-5.03M
Jeff Saturday-4.883M
Pierre Garcon-578k
Ryan Diem-6.257M
Anthony Gonzalez-1.76M
Jacob Tamme-668k
Wheeler
Pollak
Richard
about 9 more.

Source:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/

That's like $30 Million dollars in players potentially out the door from a 2-14 team. The only person worth paying is Manning. Keep Manning, Wayne will probably give a bit of a discount, and talk Saturday into coming back. Those, Mathis, and Tamme are the only key players really worth their paychecks. The rest deserve to be replaced after this year.

For reference:

Cam Newton Contract

Base Salary S. Bonus Cap Hit
2011 375,000 3,629,500 4,004,500
2012 1,376,159 3,629,500 5,005,659
2013 2,377,318 3,629,500 6,006,818
2014 3,378,477 3,629,500 7,007,977

Luck will be cheaper than keeping Ryan Diem...just try and talk Peyton into not being pissed and talk to Luck about the merits of sitting for 2 years.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Add Jerraud Power and Drake Nevis to the list of good defensive players.

MaxV
01-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Early needs list (Assuming Peyton gets back strong):

1. DT - A position that has been a need for more then a decade ('95 with Tony Siragusa, was the last time I remember being happy with Colts' DTs). We might have an answer at UT with Nevis (even that isn't a certainty) but a NT is needed BADLY.
2. SS - Bullitt just isn't a long-term answer, even when he is healthy. This team REALLY misses a guy who takes away the middle of the field like Bob used to.
3. CB - Powers might be ok, but he is more of a #2. A play-maker is really lacking here.
4. WR - Both Wayne and Garcon are FAs and Colts are certain to lose one of them, possibly both. If it is both, then this position should certainly be higher.
5. QB - Even if Peyton comes back healthy, this is a time to look for a long-term solution. Paging Mr. Luck.
6. OG - Assuming they'll insert Pollak at OC, Ijalana claims the RT spot and Reitz takes a step forward as a player, Colts still need another road-grader inside.
7. RB - Brown actually looked useful in the last few games. Who knew? Still he and Carter are more of platoon backs and Addai looks finished. I would like to see another talented back brought in here.
8. OLB - Angerer looks like a long-term answer at ILB, but I'm not really sold on Conner or Wheeler.

I can probably make it to 10 easily. This team has lots of holes to fill.

Prowler
01-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Very very early positional value chart based on Colts picking top of each round

1) QB-Luck is worth 5 or 6 1st round picks, so he's the obvious value
2) CB, RB, LB, DT, G-Minnifield, David Wilson/Polk/Miller, Brown, Worthy/Cox, loads of guards
3) WR, C, RB, CB, G- Fuller, Ben Jones, Bernard Pierce/LaMichael James, Boykin, Zeitler/Potter/etc

Middle rounds are too hard to project, but a top 3 of Luck, Minnifield, Ben Jones would be ideal for me. Worthy and Cox means that one of the 2 should be there at the top of the 2nd for us too. I do want to build the team from the inside out, but Minnifield is a perfect fit and has great pedigree. We might have to trade up from top of 3rd to late 2nd to secure Ben Jones. I don't want to draft to our current team, I want to draft based on the future. Luck and Jones can grow together like a Manning/Saturday. During the middle-late rounds we can fill the positions of some of the other guys who won't be back. I just want the BPA at each of the first few rounds. Hopefully Manning will be around to turn our late round talent into something respectable and allow Luck to not get killed for the year or two that it will take to turn this thing around.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
What do you guys think about trading back with the browns? They get Andrew Luck and we get their 2 firsts and their 2 seconds. Then with the 4th pick get Robert Griffin, with Clevelands next pick grab Mark Barron, with our 1st second rounder grab one of the nose tackles available, then with clevelands next pick grab a cornerback. I kind of like the look of that if it is possible.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 09:50 AM
What do you guys think about trading back with the browns? They get Andrew Luck and we get their 2 firsts and their 2 seconds. Then with the 4th pick get Robert Griffin, with Clevelands next pick grab Mark Barron, with our 1st second rounder grab one of the nose tackles available, then with clevelands next pick grab a cornerback. I kind of like the look of that if it is possible.

Forget it. The Colts are going to draft Andrew Luck. And they should.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Very very early positional value chart based on Colts picking top of each round

1) QB-Luck is worth 5 or 6 1st round picks, so he's the obvious value
2) CB, RB, LB, DT, G-Minnifield, David Wilson/Polk/Miller, Brown, Worthy/Cox, loads of guards
3) WR, C, RB, CB, G- Fuller, Ben Jones, Bernard Pierce/LaMichael James, Boykin, Zeitler/Potter/etc

Middle rounds are too hard to project, but a top 3 of Luck, Minnifield, Ben Jones would be ideal for me. Worthy and Cox means that one of the 2 should be there at the top of the 2nd for us too. I do want to build the team from the inside out, but Minnifield is a perfect fit and has great pedigree. We might have to trade up from top of 3rd to late 2nd to secure Ben Jones. I don't want to draft to our current team, I want to draft based on the future. Luck and Jones can grow together like a Manning/Saturday. During the middle-late rounds we can fill the positions of some of the other guys who won't be back. I just want the BPA at each of the first few rounds. Hopefully Manning will be around to turn our late round talent into something respectable and allow Luck to not get killed for the year or two that it will take to turn this thing around.

A draft of Luck, Minnifield, and Jones would not be bad at all but I would prefer to get a good DT with the 2nd pick if possible.

Prowler
01-03-2012, 09:53 AM
If we draft a QB, then it needs to be the best one. I love Griffin, but no to a QB pick in a trade down. Any trade should mean that we'd be in a position for Kalil or Claiborne and maybe a Foles or somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round as a backup/successor to Manning.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 09:54 AM
If we draft a QB, then it needs to be the best one. I love Griffin, but no to a QB pick in a trade down. Any trade should mean that we'd be in a position for Kalil or Claiborne and maybe a Foles or somebody in the 2nd or 3rd round as a backup/successor to Manning.

I thought you were a Lions fan?

edit: I am not saying GTFO. I am curious though. I think I remember reading that you're from Indy. Are you more interested in the team again now that Polian is gone? I can understand that.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Robert Griffin is getting no love. If he is a legitimate 6'2 i think he is every bit as good as Andrew Luck. It is not like Baylor was a powerhouse before RG3 got there.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Robert Griffin is getting no love. If he is a legitimate 6'2 i think he is every bit as good as Andrew Luck. It is not like Baylor was a powerhouse before RG3 got there.

Big if. I think he is the 5'11 type of 6'2. I like the guy, great arm and accuracy and his scramble-and-run ability is exciting, but I am afraid he is going to get killed in the NFL.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Big if. I think he is the 5'11 type of 6'2. I like the guy, great arm and accuracy and his scramble-and-run ability is exciting, but I am afraid he is going to get killed in the NFL.

Yea that is a concern of mine too, if he has to sacrifice some speed to add on some weight I am for it. Are there any rumors on hat his 40 time could be?

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
No idea on his 40 time. I'm not sure adding weight would help. A slight frame is a slight frame even if you bulk up. Look at Bob Sanders. Little guy with big guy muscles. Hurt all the time. Even Dr. Andrews talked about him and how it's no big mystery why he is hurt so much.

I just think passing on Luck for RG3 would be something we would all look back on in 5 years and wonder what the hell the new GM was thinking.

And I am pretty sure Irsay is set on Luck. So I don't think it matters.

Prowler
01-03-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought you were a Lions fan?

edit: I am not saying GTFO. I am curious though. I think I remember reading that you're from Indy. Are you more interested in the team again now that Polian is gone? I can understand that.

Grew up in Indiana watching Jack Trudeau and Jim Harbaugh throwing to Sean Dawkins, and then the blessed Manning years. I moved to Michigan a few years ago, the Colts won a Super Bowl and I felt that Colts became more of "my parent's team" and the Lions were getting more interesting. I try and see a game every year with my parents but this year was just awful. I feel like the Colts are the one other team on here that I am a true expert.

I am greatly interested in seeing how this team evolves from the Polian/Dungy influence. High priced offense meaning we needed a defense like the Cover 2. Speed on the edge, undersized cheap expendable defenders designed to flow to the ball and yield turnovers but not stop the chains. Easily replaceable defense worked well with the salary cap and Manning putting opposing teams into constant passing situations. This is probably going to be the most interesting and important case study for how to rebuild a team.

And I figured my Lions board has 32,500+ posts and this had 4,277 so I should start spreading the wealth around a little bit.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Grew up in Indiana watching Jack Trudeau and Jim Harbaugh throwing to Sean Dawkins, and then the blessed Manning years. I moved to Michigan a few years ago, the Colts won a Super Bowl and I felt that Colts became more of "my parent's team" and the Lions were getting more interesting. I try and see a game every year with my parents but this year was just awful. I feel like the Colts are the one other team on here that I am a true expert.

I am greatly interested in seeing how this team evolves from the Polian/Dungy influence. High priced offense meaning we needed a defense like the Cover 2. Speed on the edge, undersized cheap expendable defenders designed to flow to the ball and yield turnovers but not stop the chains. Easily replaceable defense worked well with the salary cap and Manning putting opposing teams into constant passing situations. This is probably going to be the most interesting and important case study for how to rebuild a team.

And I figured my Lions board has 32,500+ posts and this had 4,277 so I should start spreading the wealth around a little bit.

That would be nice. Maybe with Polian gone we'll actually have some insight into the personnel process for the Colts and actually have some stuff to talk about.

Prowler
01-03-2012, 10:34 AM
maybe the Colts can hire Matt Millen...zing!

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Any chance Marinelli leaves Chicago? What would you think about him as DC here? I wouldn't want him as a HC obviously (though I blame Millen more than him for 0-16), but as a DC he seems to have done well enough in Chicago. Though they obviously have more defensive talent to work with than we do.

Prowler
01-03-2012, 10:47 AM
He knows the system well, can inspire a unit, and is generally really good as long as he is complementary and monitored. I believe he's a former Marine and a very respectable guy provided he isn't anywhere near a microphone.

* I should probably add that I wasn't happy with the overall production of his defenses since Dewayne White was leading the team with 6 sacks and tied for the lead with only 1 interception one year...but I blame the terrible players, Jim Colletto the OC who replaced Martz in Detroit for the 0-16 season, and Millen. It was a losing situation. Manning or Luck and a competent head coach with a vision would do wonders for Rod.

**I guess I should probably also add that I would almost rather blow up the defense completely and go pure 4-3 with blitzing than stick to a vanilla and easily exploitable cover 2 anymore.

***Edit numero tres. We gotta get a GM in there soon. We can't just trust Irsay to make decisions alone. I don't think he'll necessarily make bad decisions, but these are things that he should go over with a new GM before he takes action. I fully expect a random guy from some successful team to get the GM job(if Irsay doesn't just keep it himself) and then a few days later Caldwell will be fired and a new direction will be given for the franchise. I just hope that he does it in the next week before the top coaches start signing with other teams.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Luck has so much hype it is unreal it is deserved but some people are becoming jaded. He does have his flaws. RG3 has so much more potential.

MaxV
01-03-2012, 01:06 PM
BTW, imo there is a significant difference between Luck and RG3.

Luck's pocket awareness if far ahead at this point imo.

The guy's ability to feel the rush and move around the pocket to buy himself time reminds me of Manning and Brady.

killxswitch
01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Luck has so much hype it is unreal it is deserved but some people are becoming jaded. He does have his flaws. RG3 has so much more potential.

I don't think he has THAT much more potential. Luck is not exactly a statue. I think he will get rushing TDs similar to Rogers. Yes his hype is out of control but I think it go out of control so early that people will be creating reasons to doubt him. We've seen it before. The hype will die down some. Plus, if Manning returns, Luck won't see a ton of PT at first so by the time he's ready to start, everyone will have moved on.

MaxV
01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Colts' draft so far:

1) Andrew Luck (QB)
Top prospect in the draft, a no-brainer pick.

2) Alameda Ta'amu (DT)
I was very surprised to see Ta'amu, Worthy and Thompson still on the board at the top of the 2nd. Either one of those 3 would be a significant upgrade at the DT position for the Colts. Killxswitch and I had a good debate. At the end, Ta'amu's size/athleticism combination was too hard to pass up.

3) Markelle Martin (S)
Awesome pick here. SS is Colts' top need and Martin would be an instant starter and a difference-maker.

4) Levy Adcock (OT/OG)
Getting bigger and stronger on both lines should be a big priority for the Colts. With Ta'amu and Adcock, they would be adding significant amount of toughness and strength.

5a) Mike Martin (DT)
With Ta'amu picked, I was hoping to fill other needs here, but I'm high on Martin and think he would be a very good value pick here.

5b) Shaun Prater (CB)
This pick was aquired via a trade for Jerry Hughes. Colts need a quality CB. Prater is not a star, but I think he would be a solid contributer.

5c) Josh Kaddu (OLB)
In what most Colts' fans are hoping would be a shift in defensive philosophy into a more aggressive scheme, this pick reflects that. An athletic, blitzing OLB, Kaddu could add an extra dimension to what is otherwise a predictable defense.

6) Jack Crawford (DE)
I'm very familiar with this player. A couple of years ago Crawford was being hyped up to be a future 1st rounder. He never lived up to that biling. Still he is a talented player with plenty of potential. This is a good spot for project pick.

Killxswitch and I are doing a Forum Mock.

Above are our picks so far. Personally, I would be thrilled with this in real life.

Prowler
01-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Personally, I would be thrilled with this in real life.

Perfect. Ta'amu's 341lbs spin move might bring him to Alualu territory with teams falling in love with him early. He should be athletic enough to fit most any scheme.

I would have been more tempted to go with a center in the 3rd, but Martin is probably too great of a value to miss. Plus they do have a half dozen guys who have snapped the ball in college.

Maybe Broyles in the 4th to help out Luck, but I can understand drafting oline instead of a WR with a blown ACL. Good pick, no complaints.

5th rounders are all good guys to have on the team. I'm not looking for starters after the 3rd round anyway. Martin can be plugged in as a 43 NT with Ta'amu doing his Shaun Rogers glory days impersonation at UT. Moala and Johnson can all be in the mix with Martin for the other starting DT depending on scheme. So much versatility here.

I've also been very impressed with Jack Crawford. He's definitely worth a 6th rounder and can be a good 2 way player. He can go anywhere from late 4 to about where you got him, so great value.

Bottom line: Luck, a functional dline, hard hitting/playmaking safety to pair with Bethea, and some other really good parts.

A+

Now go help Grigson

killxswitch
01-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I think that draft would be a smashing success.

MaxV
01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
I love this year's DT class. Even if Ta'amu is gone by the 2nd, there should be a talented DT available. Quality at the top and depth of the class is impressive. I hope we take advantage of it.

As good as that scenario would be, it really shows just how flawed our roster is. WR will probably be a need, I doubt both Wayne and Garcon are coming back. I actually pitched an idea to Killxswitch of possibly drafting one of Quick, Toon or McNutt in the 3rd, but Martin would be a great pick. And even with Prater, Lacey would probably be the starter at one CB spot.

Not enough picks to address all the needs.

killxswitch
01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
I love this year's DT class. Even if Ta'amu is gone by the 2nd, there should be a talented DT available. Quality at the top and depth of the class is impressive. I hope we take advantage of it.

As good as that scenario would be, it really shows just how flawed our roster is. WR will probably be a need, I doubt both Wayne and Garcon are coming back. I actually pitched an idea to Killxswitch of possibly drafted one of Quick, Toon or McNutt in the 3rd, but Martin would be a great pick. And even with Prater, Lacey would probably be the starter at one CB spot.

Not enough picks to address all the needs.

I will be glad when the coach is picked and our free agents are either signed or they move on. I'd like to rank the team's needs by position and basically assign a strength number to each, but with guys like Wayne, Garcon, Mathis, etc possibly moving on it's not worth it right now. If they let Manning go it becomes easier to sign Garcon and even Wayne. If Pagano is the HC then apparently Mathis is excited about that.

Btw after talking with you I've paid more attention to McNutt and he is impressing at the Senior Bowl practices.

falloutboy14
01-25-2012, 08:47 PM
I compare McNutt to Plaxico Burress. Big-body & long arms. Would be great as a safety-valve, and red zone target. I really like McNutt as a compliment to Garcon. TBH, wouldn't mind letting Wayne walk if we got him.

Also really like Ledarius Green, TE, Louisiana-Lafeyette. Should be there in the 4th-5h.

As much as I want to get the O/D-line squared away this draft(G & DT in round 2-3), some of these skill position guys are tempting.

redviper311
02-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Griffin wants to be draft #1 overall by the Colts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8269babf/article/griffin-says-he-not-luck-should-be-colts-pick-in-nfl-draft

Thoughts...

Prowler
02-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I wanted to play point guard for a D1 college, but it never happened.

killxswitch
02-05-2012, 10:38 PM
I like RG3 and hope he goes on to be a great QB. But the Colts are going to draft Luck.

chad72
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Stop the pass and pass the ball league it is.

Round 1 - Andrew Luck

Round 2 - assume Dontari Poe is gone, so trade No.34 and No.65 to Eagles for No.46 and No.51 and get ready to play a 1-gap 3-4 like Wade Philips' coached teams that will get the most out of the 1-gap system based draft picks we have.

Round 2 No.46 - Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson/Josh Chapman, DT, Alabama (whoever is available out of the two)

Round 2 No.51 - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina/Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt (whoever is available)

Round 4 - Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas / A.J.Jenkins, WR, Illinois who compares to Brandon Lloyd (I expect one of them to be there)

Round 5 - Akiem Nicks, 3-4 or 4-3 NT, has the measurables at 6'5", 324, 4.98 speed, Regina (my sleeper pick )

Round 6 - Donte Paige Moss (OLB/DE), North Carolina (6'4", 260, 4.67, this is where we can take a flyer on a questionable character guy, IMO)

Round 6 compensatory pick for Clint Session - B.J.Cunningham, WR, Michigan State (6'1", 209, 4.59, reminds me so much of Jerrico Cotchery as a possession wideout in the middle, makes tough catches every time I have watched him, plays quicker than his timed speed, and gets YAC like Anquan Boldin)

Round 6 compensatory pick for Charlie Johnson - Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly, 5'10", 193, 4.40 (read this: http://www.gopoly.com/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120123dciurg)

Round 7 - Antoine McClain, OG, Clemson (6'5", 335, 5.34)

Sloopy
03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I encourage you all to check out my latest 4 round mock draft :)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51453

killxswitch
03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Norman and Wolfe are guys I took in the forum mock so I obviously like those picks. And Ta'amu is a guy I am high on. You are right about WR. I am also concerned about the center position. But I wouldn't mind that draft at all.

Sloopy
03-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Norman and Wolfe are guys I took in the forum mock so I obviously like those picks. And Ta'amu is a guy I am high on. You are right about WR. I am also concerned about the center position. But I wouldn't mind that draft at all.

I am SERIOUSLY concerned about WR and that OL.

Before the D switch I had Adcock in the third, which would kick Ijalana inside to guard.

Wouldn't be a bad line in the future but with the defensive switch I can almost guarantee most if not all of the picks other than Luck will be on the defensive side of the ball, pending what can be done in FA.

As of right now it's looking like Mathis at OLB? Crazy.

RCAChainGang
03-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I feel like we need somebody for Luck to develop a chemistry with. Snagging a big target would be nice. Sigh, we just need more picks guys. What do you guys think about trading down in the 2nd? With all of the DL talent I've heard you guys talk about.

falloutboy14
03-07-2012, 10:15 AM
If you want to get a NT, you can't drop down very far. Ta'amu won't last long in the 2nd round if he makes it.

I think we need to draft a TE/WR in the 3rd or 4th. Ladarius Green and Marvin McNutt would be good imo.

Any guesses at Gonzalez's status? Is he healthy and just couldn't beat Collie/Garcon to get on the field? I imagine he'd be cheap if the team is interested in keeping him. Could at least bring him into training camp. If nothing else we can draft a guy in the 4th+ and let him sit while Gonzalez starts.

RCAChainGang
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm would think he just can't beat out Collie or Garcon. I would hope that he makes it to training camp. If we don't get Reggie or Garcon then we don't have a true #1. Collie is my favorite receiver and he is so talented, but him and his concussions frightens me. I'm not sure he can stay healthy. So really if Collie went down we would have to have some more people. We have to draft somebody unless we make a splash in free agency.

killxswitch
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
I think Gonzo was in Polian's doghouse for some reason. That's what local reporters around here thought anyway.

RCAChainGang
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Do you guys think Blair White is worth much or do you think Peyton just made him look good?

Sloopy
03-07-2012, 10:55 AM
If you want to get a NT, you can't drop down very far. Ta'amu won't last long in the 2nd round if he makes it.
I think we need to draft a TE/WR in the 3rd or 4th. Ladarius Green and Marvin McNutt would be good imo.

Any guesses at Gonzalez's status? Is he healthy and just couldn't beat Collie/Garcon to get on the field? I imagine he'd be cheap if the team is interested in keeping him. Could at least bring him into training camp. If nothing else we can draft a guy in the 4th+ and let him sit while Gonzalez starts.

This. The sad fact of today is that a position which was invented to allow defenses to find starting players in later rounds is now being pushed up draft boards do to their rarity.

Considering this is a team transitioning from a "small" defense to a defense that requires large men, the FO will need to target this type of player early.

As it is you guys are barely going to be able to put together a ragtag DL while fitting square pegs into round holes at OLB and I don't really see any of your current CBs as fits in Chucky's scheme.

There will be a lean year or two in Indi before success will be possible.

MaxV
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Do you guys think Blair White is worth much or do you think Peyton just made him look good?

He's an ok possession WR, but more like a 3rd option.

killxswitch
03-07-2012, 12:18 PM

He has good hands but that is about it. Manning made him look solid. I doubt he even makes 3rd WR on most teams.

RCAChainGang
03-08-2012, 12:30 AM
I think if the Colts can't sign Garcon then we should use the 3rd round draft pick on a WR or TE.

killxswitch
03-08-2012, 08:06 AM
At this point the team sucks so much we just need to draft Luck and then take BPA at DL, SS, interior OL, CB, or WR.

killxswitch
03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
One thing I will add though is that I hope we do get Luck some help on offense somewhere. We cannot send him into the season with Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, and Blair White as his primary targets and a bunch of nobodies at guard and center. In my mock draft picks I went with almost entirely defensive guys, but I think that would be a bad move. Luck will probably be great but he is not a miracle worker.

I am already resigned to the fact that the Colts will be terrible again in 2012. Maybe not quite as bad as 2011 but with no Reggie and apparently no Garcon either the passing game might be in bad shape. I am a defense guy but if there is a high-value WR or Peter Konz available in the early 2nd, the Colts should seriously consider him.

MaxV
03-08-2012, 09:38 AM
At this point the team sucks so much we just need to draft Luck and then take BPA at DL, SS, interior OL, CB, or WR.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking also.

Certain postions are more premium.

I think we can all agree that filling the NT and CB positions are MUCH tougher then the rest on that list.

If there is a beast like Ta'amu or Poe there in the 2nd, I think we absolutely have to pick him.

Similar with CB. If there is a top-tier play-maker there, we should pull the trigger.

MaxV
03-08-2012, 09:39 AM
I just think that interior OL and WR can be adressed later in the draft.

RCAChainGang
03-08-2012, 10:46 AM
How far is Maze expected to drop? It would be nice to snag him as a return man, but I'm not sure he has the presence we want. Seems more like a slot receiver.

Being an LSU fan I'm high on Reuben Randle, but it seems that he is high on draft boards so I doubt we get him.

Chris Owusu along with Luck from Stanford, would also be a guy that can be a return man for us and have more presence on the outside. His health with all of the concussions is a concern, but he could be a steal if healthy.

GoRavens
03-20-2012, 07:49 AM
First 3 Colts Picks
Qb Andrew Luck
Rb Lamar Miller
Wr/pr Ty Hilton

killxswitch
03-20-2012, 08:13 AM
First 3 Colts Picks
Qb Andrew Luck
Rb Lamar Miller
Wr/pr Ty Hilton

Horrible!!!

MaxV
03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
I love Lamar Miller. He's the 2nd best RB in this class imo.

With that being said, Colts have a lot of other HUGE needs.

villagewarrior
03-23-2012, 02:01 PM
So we all now the Colts will pick Andrew Luck first, but where do they go in round 2? Do they go heavy offense to protect the first pick or do they try to make the team more balanced than it was during Peyton's tenure?

MaxV
03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Well, they've signed a couple of OLs and a SS already. They've also resigned Reggie.

The biggest need on O is TE, no question.

D has a lot more needs imo, especially with a change in scheme.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Forget Andrew Luck, we have the last pick in the draft!

RagingColt
03-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Forget Andrew Luck, we have the last pick in the draft!

True that. The team was awarded three comp picks for this year's draft.

5th Round - 170th overall
6th Round - 206th overall
7th Round - 253rd overall

RagingColt
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
The Colts now have ten total draft picks as of right now.

1st Round - 1st Overall
2nd Round - 34th Overall
3rd Round - 64th Overall
4th Round - 97th Overall
5th Round - 136th Overall
5th Round - 170th Overall (Comp)
6th Round - 206th Overall (Comp)
7th Round - 208th Overall
7th Round - 232nd Overall
7th Round - 253th Overall (Comp) Mr. Irrelevant

killxswitch
03-27-2012, 09:16 AM
We will need every one of them. FA has helped but there are still plenty of holes.

MaxV
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
We will need every one of them. FA has helped but there are still plenty of holes.

I agree. We have a lot of holes.

But I wonder if it's possible that they would package some of the picks to move up and get a guy that they think could be a star.

killxswitch
03-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I agree. We have a lot of holes.

But I wonder if it's possible that they would package some of the picks to move up and get a guy that they think could be a star.

Probably depends on who is available and when. I have of course never been employed by an NFL team, but my guess is that Grigs and his staff do practice drafts where they go through different scenarios, where this or that guy is available when they don't expect, who will be picking at that time, what their needs are, and what they are or aren't willing to give up to move up.

MaxV
03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
According to NFL Executives and Coaches, Luck is a safer pick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_jim_irsay_andrew_luck_robert_griffin_draft_03 2712

I like this quote the most:

“Just think about it this way: Griffin just graduated with honors; Luck is in his first year of medical school. That’s what we’re talking about.”

killxswitch
03-28-2012, 12:01 PM
According to NFL Executives and Coaches, Luck is a safer pick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_jim_irsay_andrew_luck_robert_griffin_draft_03 2712

I like this quote the most:

I think most honest football people would agree Luck is just the best player in this draft, the best prospect. Anything else, like RG3 being a better pick, or Trent Richardson being the best overall football player in the draft, are just artificial media creations to create interest.

Seamus2602
04-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Nose Tackle: The central cog of the two gap 3-4 Defence is the Nose Tackle. The best option the Colts have at the position is Antonio Johnson who struggled in to assert himself cover one gap never mind two. While Mookie made some plays he clearly isn’t the answer here. The team need to bring in a dominant run stopping NT.

Tight End: The Tight End position has increased in importance over the last decade. The NFL is a mismatch game. The role of the Offense is to create mismatches and exploit those mismatches. The role of the Defence is to prevent mismatches being made and to prevent them being exploited. With Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Dallas Clark and more recently Rob Gronkowski, and Jimmy Graham, you have had a player who is too fast to be covered by a Linebacker and too strong to be covered by a Safety, and too tall to be covered by either. Tight Ends are becoming increasingly difficult to cover one on one. Additionally, and importantly for the Colts next year, they tend to be a safety valve for young and inexperienced Quarterbacks.

Ted Linebacker: Another major piece for run support in the 3-4 is the Ted Linebacker. The Ted is an underrated (and in my opinion undervalued) part of the 3-4 Defence. He is a cross between the Fullback and the Quarterback of the defence. He will be the lead blocker for the other Linebackers and the Safety, ploughing through the Offensive Line, occupying blockers, closing lanes and leaving the other guys to make the tackle. He has to be able to do two main things. He has to be able to read and react very well and stack and shed really well. He has to be one of the most physically dominant players at the Linebacker position while also possessing above average vision and intelligence. He normally has to read the Offence and audible and adjust the Defence accordingly. For a prototype of the position, and it has to be said a current free agent, look no further than former Steeler James Farrior.

Cornerback: In Pagano’s system the Cornerbacks are pretty vanilla (though maybe not as vanilla as in the Tampa 2). They are primarily in press man coverage. That throws up a problem for the Colts. The team’s best Cornerback is 5’9” and made of glass. He won’t survive on the outside if he is asked to play press man. He will be ideally suited to playing the Nickel (which he did at times for the last few years for the Colts if they main WR threat was a Slot, such as when we played New England). That means two new starters or needed. In my opinion only one is needed, at least to field a recognisable defence next season. Chris Rucker played well down the stretch and has the size and physicality to play press man. He played poorly against New England (but to be fair it was only his second game where he was asked to play significant snaps) but then against Baltimore and Jacksonville I though he played very well. What is also notable about the Ravens Defence is that it suceeded despite the fact that none of the CB's jump out as being overly talented. Lardarius Webb was their best CB last year and he isn't exactly anything special

Coverage Linebacker: The Ted Linebacker, primarily, is a run stopping player. He is normally big and physically dominant. He’s also normally not that fast and so will struggle in coverage. The result is that in obvious passing situations the Ted has to come out and replaced by a coverage Linebacker. Last year in obvious passing situations the Ravens pulled Jameel McClain for Brendon Ayanbadejo. The Colts need to find someone to play the role in the same way that Ernie Sims did last year.

Defensive End: While they could do with long-term upgrades over both Moala and Redding the starting position should be solid enough for next season. That being said the team need to bring in another situation pass rushing end, filling the role that Pernell McPhee had for the Ravens last season. While Drake Nevis could fill one of those positions they need two because no-one is ever going to confuse Moala or Redding for Haloti Ngata. That being said a lot of the pass rushing situations will be in a four man front so if they can bring in a 3-Down Nose Tackle then he could probably fill this position.

Strongside Linebacker: In obvious passing situations for the Ravens the starting SLB, Jarret Johnson, came out of the game and was replaced with a Rush Linebacker, normally Paul Kruger. For the Colts it is going to work in the opposite direction. Robert Mathis will stay in for obvious passing situations and situations where the offense can both run and pass but will probably have to come out for obvious rushing situations in a similar rotation as to what Jamaal Anderson and Tyler Brayton did last year. In my opinion the medium term plan will be to move Mathis from the Strongside to the Weakside next year after Freeney goes and so this spell player could easily be the long-term starter at the SLB position.

Weakside Linebacker: Similar to the SLB position the Colts need to bring in a guy to play the run on obvious rushing situations in a similar style to Anderson and Brayton.

There are other needs as well but these are the ones needed to field a team next year. It doesn’t include the positions, like WR, LG, FB, SS, the other CB position, etc that the team have a starter in but who can be upgraded over.

MaxV
04-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Great write-up, Seamus.

You could also add OL and WR to the list.

Seamus2602
04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I didn't add WR and OL to the list because I felt the team had improved enough there in Free Agency signing Avery, Justice, McGlynn and Satele. It gives the team a starting line of Castonzo, Reitz/McGlynn, Satele, Ijalana and Justice. While it isn't an elite line and upgrades could be found they could field those 5 and it would be a credible line. The same with the WR corps. If Avery is healthy he can play Flanker and then we have Reggie Wayne at Split End and Austin Collie at the Slot, plus Blair White as a backup and a 4th WR.

killxswitch
04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
I agree that the OL is probably set. We might get a mid-round guy for depth that could surprise and start at guard or something. But I expect high round picks will be used on the positions you outlined. That said, I do think there's a good chance we'll pick up a WR if the value is right. I don't think you can count on Avery.

Seamus2602
04-02-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree that the OL is probably set. We might get a mid-round guy for depth that could surprise and start at guard or something. But I expect high round picks will be used on the positions you outlined. That said, I do think there's a good chance we'll pick up a WR if the value is right. I don't think you can count on Avery.

I would advocate a BPA mode at all times. The only areas that wouldn't be sensible will be QB, RB, MLB, RLB and FS. There are other positions that we have a starter who isn't that good, like WR, OL, DE and SS but we still have a starter. But if there is good value (Barron at the top of the 2nd etc) and aren't similar value for glaring weaknesses then pull the trigger.

killxswitch
04-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Going into the start of free agency, I would've ranked the Colts' needs like this:

1 - QB
2 - NT
3 - interior OL
4 - (tie) CB, WR, SS
5 - TE
6 - ILB

Now, with FA signings, it looks like those priorities have changed

1 - QB
2 - NT
3 - CB
4 - (tie) TE, WR
5 - ILB
6 - SS

At this point I think anyone expecting to take an OLman early in the draft will be disappointed. Grigs went after so many FA OLmen for a reason. In fact, unless the value is extraordinarily high, I doubt the Colts will go after an offensive player at all in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Safely assuming the Colts take Luck in the 1st, I think the big questions in round two will be which position between NT and CB holds the best value, and is there a pass catcher whose value significantly overshadows that of any available NT or CB?

In the first 3 rounds I think the Colts will completely ignore OL, DE, S, RB, FB, and LB. Thoughts?

MaxV
04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, although majority of our signings are just temporary fill-ins, at least we don't have 14312435125454 MAJOR holes anymore.

RCAChainGang
04-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Does anyone here like Coby Fleener in round 2?

I keep seeing that in mocks and it is frustrating. I guess I could see it happening, but I'd rather snag a defensive player. I'd like to see a NT or CB. Is there little depth at TE or what?

falloutboy14
04-03-2012, 04:07 PM
The TE class is kinda thin. I was against it at first, but I'm warming up to Fleener more and more. People knock him for being a below average/poor blocker. But we had Clark for most of a decade and until his hands turned to concrete everyone was more or less pleased. He's 6'6, runs in the 4.5s, and already has familiarity with Luck. Seems that's exactly what we need.

It used to be Ta'amu which was the obvious pick, but for some reason he's predicted to go 45-55, not 34.

killxswitch
04-03-2012, 08:17 PM
If we can somehow get Ta'amu in the 3rd, awesome. If not, I won't be upset if we get him in the 2nd. If we get Fleener there, that's fine too. There are going to be plenty of good players available at 34 that will help the Colts. That's the silver lining to having such a bad roster.

Prowler
04-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Isn't Brandon McKinney still a FA? He was the backup NT in Baltimore last year. He'd be a decent option if we swing and miss.

I'm seeing it as: Luck, Fleener, RB, and Josh Norman/Donnie Fletcher later on. Maybe throw in a 34 DE, WR, S and call it a day. I haven't watched anything from Josh Chapman except for 3 Alabama games where I wasn't paying attention to him, but he's got the size and the Saban pedigree.

Seamus2602
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
The reason the team haven't signed or even persued any of the available NTs is that the team are only, by my calculations, about $300K below to the Salary Cap.

Now some of those contracts (Reggie Wayne etc) are just estimates and could be a lot more back loaded than they currently appear. Even if the cap value is less than I have estimated they will probably need $7M or so to sign the Rookies.

falloutboy14
04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Isn't Brandon McKinney still a FA? He was the backup NT in Baltimore last year. He'd be a decent option if we swing and miss.

Colts just signed him. 6'2 345. He's 28, was with the Chargers for 3 years, Ravens for 4. Seems like was never the starter, so no clue what we can expect. Makes NT not a dire need.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/4/4/2925375/colts-sign-nose-tackle-brandon-mckinney

killxswitch
04-04-2012, 12:55 PM
It's no longer a dire need but it's not good that he was never able to supplant Kelly Gregg, and that he appears to have been injured a lot. I think NT is still a draft need, maybe just not as much of one as before.

Seamus2602
04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Okay that proved me ******* wrong about the Salary Cap.

MaxV
04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Yay Free Agency.

I don't remember Colts signing so many FAs in... well, ever.

fishspinners
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
This offense is in for a complete overhaul. Nice deep class of WR this year so i'm sure we will draft atleast two if not three.

Round 2- Fleener(praying he falls),Stephen Hill(tape looks alot like AJ Green)
Round 3-Broyles,Toon,Hilton
Round 4-Joe Adams,Dwight Jones

Just a couple of scenarios but i'd be happy with any of them.

Seamus2602
04-12-2012, 04:22 PM
This offense is in for a complete overhaul. Nice deep class of WR this year so i'm sure we will draft atleast two if not three.

Except for the fact that the team are relatively solid at Wide Receiver (Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Blair White) and if they get anything out of Donnie Avery it renders Wide Receiver very close to the bottom of the needs pile.

killxswitch
04-12-2012, 06:32 PM

You want to go QB and then 3 receivers? Terrible idea. We need a balanced team.

falloutboy14
04-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Aside from Luck, I wouldn't spend more then 1 pick on offense unless the board forces you. Though I am thinking, with Fleener, I think we could have a very good offense, depending on Luck's abilities.

fishspinners
04-13-2012, 01:42 PM
You want to go QB and then 3 receivers? Terrible idea. We need a balanced team.

I'm not saying that they need to draft a WR in each round 2 through 4. I'm saying any of those picks in any of those rounds would be nice. Reggie is older,Collie may not ever play a full season,Blair White is terrible, and Donnie Avery is a HUGE question mark. They really need to rebuild this offense. I know there are plenty of holes on Defense and there is a whole new scheme but I see them drafting a couple WR in this draft.

fishspinners
04-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Except for the fact that the team are relatively solid at Wide Receiver (Reggie Wayne, Austin Collie, Blair White) and if they get anything out of Donnie Avery it renders Wide Receiver very close to the bottom of the needs pile.

Bottom of the needs pile? Cmon man! TE is a major need for sure. I think Wayne is the only for sure thing at WR right now. Collie when healthy is good but I highly doubt he ever plays a full season again. Blair White is terrible and Donnie Avery is a big question mark.

fishspinners
04-13-2012, 01:53 PM
As much as i'd like them to utilize that 2nd round pick it might be better to trade it and move down and pick up another couple picks. I think they may have 10 total picks? But this is a huge draft for them and the more picks the better.

killxswitch
04-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm not saying that they need to draft a WR in each round 2 through 4. I'm saying any of those picks in any of those rounds would be nice. Reggie is older,Collie may not ever play a full season,Blair White is terrible, and Donnie Avery is a HUGE question mark. They really need to rebuild this offense. I know there are plenty of holes on Defense and there is a whole new scheme but I see them drafting a couple WR in this draft.

So you were just presenting options that may be available at those picks. Got it. Yeah I expect we'll take a few receiving options. I would personally prefer to get a guy like Michael Egnew later in the draft and hopefully get some WR talent earlier. I am not a big fan of TE-centric passing attacks.

fishspinners
04-13-2012, 03:35 PM
So you were just presenting options that may be available at those picks. Got it. Yeah I expect we'll take a few receiving options. I would personally prefer to get a guy like Michael Egnew later in the draft and hopefully get some WR talent earlier. I am not a big fan of TE-centric passing attacks.

Arians likes to implement the TE so I gotta see them taking one casue Eldridge is more of the blocking type. I like Orson Charles but but I don't think he is ever going to be a big numbers guy. I think Fleener will be gone by the time we pick again. Egnew kinda reminds me of Greg Olsen the way he moves. I wouldn't mind taking him. James Hanna of Oklahoma is another TE I wouldn't mind seeing in the blue and white. Hopefully he is there in 4th or 5th round if we haven't taken a TE yet.

Seamus2602
04-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Bottom of the needs pile? Cmon man! TE is a major need for sure. I think Wayne is the only for sure thing at WR right now. Collie when healthy is good but I highly doubt he ever plays a full season again. Blair White is terrible and Donnie Avery is a big question mark.

Tight End isn't Wide Receiver. They are two different positions. Austin Collie played 16 games last season. Blair White just got cut but you don't draft a guy in the 2nd Round to replace Blair White while Donnie Avery is a big question mark. But the entire roster is a big question mark. There is a big question mark at WR, we don't even have a question mark at TE, questions about the OL, major questions at NT, questions, not big ones but still questions, at DE, major need at ILB, questions at OLB, major questions as CB, major questions at S and questions in the ST.

Seamus2602
04-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Arians likes to implement the TE so I gotta see them taking one casue Eldridge is more of the blocking type. I like Orson Charles but but I don't think he is ever going to be a big numbers guy. I think Fleener will be gone by the time we pick again. Egnew kinda reminds me of Greg Olsen the way he moves. I wouldn't mind taking him. James Hanna of Oklahoma is another TE I wouldn't mind seeing in the blue and white. Hopefully he is there in 4th or 5th round if we haven't taken a TE yet.

Arians does like the two TE set but the Colts are in total rebuild mould and so we shouldn't expect to get every player we need in this draft. That being said TE is a major need but we can't afford to reach on anyone. Additionally we need someone who can be a complete Tight End, and contribute in the blocking game, rather than just be a big Receiver. That makes me shy away from the likes of Michael Egnew who will be a liability in the run game.

Hanna is a track star but doesn't play at 4.49. He really struggles in blocking, route running, defensive recognition. He's fast, though not too fast, though does have good hands and body control. My main difficulty with your suggestion is that if the Colts take him anything earlier than Comp pick in the 6th then it will be a poor value selection. Hanna isn't anything better than a 6th, maybe even 7th round pick.

RCAChainGang
04-14-2012, 01:06 AM
I think arguing over positional picks is really meaningless when rebuilding like this. I'd be perfectly fine seeing the Colts snagging the best player on their draft board for their picks. If that be WR/TE/CB/NT/ILB whatever. Just pick your guy. All positions need to be addressed so just pick the best player on the board for our new system.

fishspinners
04-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Arians does like the two TE set but the Colts are in total rebuild mould and so we shouldn't expect to get every player we need in this draft. That being said TE is a major need but we can't afford to reach on anyone. Additionally we need someone who can be a complete Tight End, and contribute in the blocking game, rather than just be a big Receiver. That makes me shy away from the likes of Michael Egnew who will be a liability in the run game.

Hanna is a track star but doesn't play at 4.49. He really struggles in blocking, route running, defensive recognition. He's fast, though not too fast, though does have good hands and body control. My main difficulty with your suggestion is that if the Colts take him anything earlier than Comp pick in the 6th then it will be a poor value selection. Hanna isn't anything better than a 6th, maybe even 7th round pick.

Have yo5u seen Hanna block?

Seamus2602
04-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Have yo5u seen Hanna block?

Yes. He takes good angles and he seals off the edge adequately at the college level. Against NFL ends and NFL Linebackers he will struggle to seal the edge as effectively, he doesn't move defenders that well, even at a college level, and is more of a get in the way type blocker than a road grader.

falloutboy14
04-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Random question: Do 3-4 OLBs rotate out for breathers like 4-3 DEs rotate?

Seamus2602
04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Random question: Do 3-4 OLBs rotate out for breathers like 4-3 DEs rotate?

Depends. The Ravens didn't rotate the WLB (Suggs) but did rotate the SLB (Johnson) with a situational pass rusher. So it wasn't so much rotate for a breather but more a situation thing.

killxswitch
04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Depends. The Ravens didn't rotate the WLB (Suggs) but did rotate the SLB (Johnson) with a situational pass rusher. So it wasn't so much rotate for a breather but more a situation thing.

So if Mathis is in the Johnson role he may not rotate much if at all.

Seamus2602
04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
So if Mathis is in the Johnson role he may not rotate much if at all.

Or may come out on run downs or bring in a coverage LB if we are playing a team with a particularly good Tight End.

falloutboy14
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Colts announced that they are indeed taking Luck today, which is an upgrade from, 'we've made our decision, but not saying who'.

I'm curious who people are hoping for with pick #34. I think Fleener's my top choice as it just makes too much sense. I think we can get a good 5-tech in rounds 3-5. TE talent drops off in a hurry in this draft. Speaking of pick 34, they got some retired players to announce the 2nd round picks, and Marvin Harrison is doing the Colts.

I wouldn't be against trading down to 40-45 range, as I think there will be a good defensive lineman still there. One of the 5-techs (Reyes/Still) or Ta'amu should be there still. I think the quality of player available at 34, isn't far off the quality at 44. Hopefully a team will jump up for a player since they have time to think about it.

Also, I did the Colts in the forum mock and this is what I ended up with. Think I'd be pretty darn pleased if this is what we ended up with:

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
43. Alameda Ta'Amu, NT, Washington
46. Kendall Reyes, DE, UConn
64. Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech
88. Bruce Irvin, OLB WVU
97. Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana Lafayette
170. Bradie Ewing, FB, Wisconsin
206. Derek Dennis, G, Temple
214. OT Markus Zusevics, T, Iowa
253. Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pittsburgh

I traded Freeney and our 5th for pick 43, which I hate to see him go, but if we're not going to re-sign him is a good deal imo.

Seamus2602
04-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Colts announced that they are indeed taking Luck today, which is an upgrade from, 'we've made our decision, but not saying who'.

I'm curious who people are hoping for with pick #34. I think Fleener's my top choice as it just makes too much sense. I think we can get a good 5-tech in rounds 3-5. TE talent drops off in a hurry in this draft. Speaking of pick 34, they got some retired players to announce the 2nd round picks, and Marvin Harrison is doing the Colts.

I wouldn't be against trading down to 40-45 range, as I think there will be a good defensive lineman still there. One of the 5-techs (Reyes/Still) or Ta'amu should be there still. I think the quality of player available at 34, isn't far off the quality at 44. Hopefully a team will jump up for a player since they have time to think about it.

Also, I did the Colts in the forum mock and this is what I ended up with. Think I'd be pretty darn pleased if this is what we ended up with:

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
43. Alameda Ta'Amu, NT, Washington
46. Kendall Reyes, DE, UConn
64. Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech
88. Bruce Irvin, OLB WVU
97. Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana Lafayette
170. Bradie Ewing, FB, Wisconsin
206. Derek Dennis, G, Temple
214. OT Markus Zusevics, T, Iowa
253. Brandon Lindsey, OLB, Pittsburgh

I traded Freeney and our 5th for pick 43, which I hate to see him go, but if we're not going to re-sign him is a good deal imo.

Ignoring the late guys, who are going to primarily be project or depth guys, I like all of the picks except Jayron Hosley. I would say also that Ta'amu at 43 maybe a bit higher than he probably should go. Hosley is probably a Cover 2 Zone Coverage Nickle Corner. The Colts need Press Man Cover Corners who can play outside.

RagingColt
04-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Think Fleener will be gone by 34. Trading our 2nd rounder for extra picks later would suit me well. NT value doesn't pick up till about round 5 or so. Luck will need playmakers more than anything so with our 2nd pick, whatever # that turns out to be, needs to be an offensive player imo. Our O-Line should be passable for this year so a WR would seem to be a good target. Otherwise a cb for our 2nd pick makes sense too. We need 3-4 inside LBs and at least one OLB as well.

Positions we need to draft for sure this year -

1. QB
2. WR
3. CB
4. TE
5. LB
6. G

While we're at it, a decent return man would do wonders for starting field position.

Seamus2602
04-25-2012, 02:53 AM
Think Fleener will be gone by 34. Trading our 2nd rounder for extra picks later would suit me well. NT value doesn't pick up till about round 5 or so. Luck will need playmakers more than anything so with our 2nd pick, whatever # that turns out to be, needs to be an offensive player imo. Our O-Line should be passable for this year so a WR would seem to be a good target. Otherwise a cb for our 2nd pick makes sense too. We need 3-4 inside LBs and at least one OLB as well.

Positions we need to draft for sure this year -

1. QB
2. WR
3. CB
4. TE
5. LB
6. G

While we're at it, a decent return man would do wonders for starting field position.

The only thing Indy needs to do for sure, in my opinion, is draft BPA at every selection. The only position that I think the Colts either need to draft someone or bring in another veteran option is Tight End (and Quarterback obviously). We have options at Wide Receiver, we have options (not great ones but still options) at CB, we need a Ted Linebacker (though AJ Edds is a posibility, at least as a backup option) and some situational guys at LB but we are relatively set at starter, while the Offensive Line has made significant improvement this offseason to the extent that starters are present and any pick would be an upgrade or depth (and the same can be done at multiple positions in the team).

MaxV
04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Ok who are the guys that are left so far?

Still? Fleener? Jenkins?

falloutboy14
04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
WR - Stephen Hill
TE - Fleener
5-tech - Still, Reyes, Worthy
Upshaw/Perry at OLB
Silotolu/Konz if we want interior OL.

Hill might be good as a developmental WR. 2 years from now he could be a stud. STL might take him though.

Seamus2602
04-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I think that St Louis take either Jonathan Martin or Cordy Glenn with 33. That leaves the other one at OT (or Glenn potentially at G), Coby Fleener, Upshaw at OLB (especially if they trade Freeney), Hill at WR and Still at 5 Tech.

RCAChainGang
04-27-2012, 02:29 AM
I think we should try to trade back for a landing spot for Almeda Ta'amu. If not then we should pull the trigger on Fleener.

fishspinners
04-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Gotta love where we are sitting right now! Fleener,Ta'amu,Jenkins,Upshaw. Great spot right now.

fishspinners
04-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Maybe even Cordy Glenn?

MaxV
04-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I actually wouldn't mind a trade down here.

There are still several players that I like left and we needs as many picks as we can get.

falloutboy14
04-27-2012, 11:13 AM
NFLN is saying that Pagano really likes Upshaw. I question our need for a pass-rusher, but don't know enough about him to argue against the pick.

Still think Glenn is the way to go though. The compensation would have to be pretty rich to trade out of that spot.

SolidGold
04-27-2012, 11:54 AM
I hope you guys end up with Fleener. I think you need to give Luck a reliable (familiar) target. After that I would go balls to the wall on defense.

RCAChainGang
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
I actually wouldn't mind Upshaw at all. If Pagano is high on him then it must mean that he would likely fit well in the D. Although Oline would be a good pick.

I'm okay with
1. Trading down for good compensation
2. Coby Fleener
3. Upshaw
4. Cordy Glenn

killxswitch
04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
If we take a pass catcher I would want either Stephen Hill or Rueben Randle. Fleener is a good matchup problem TE, nice speed and all, but I think we can get that with Michael Egnew, Ladarius Green, Taylor Thompson, or James Hanna much later in the draft. I don't think Fleener is a good value and Luck doesn't need some sort of security blanket.

Upshaw or Glenn would be my non-skill position preferences. I didn't expect either of them to be available. Devon Still, Janoris Jenkins, Kendall Reyes, or Mychal Kendricks would all also be fine with me. I'd like to trade down and get another pick or two if possible, lots of good players still around.

killxswitch
04-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I am not impressed with the Fleener pick.

falloutboy14
04-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I suppose that it gives Luck the possibility to have a capable passing attack right away. Wayne/Fleener should be able to get work done. Hopefully some good players fall to the 3rd.

Prowler
04-27-2012, 06:36 PM
You should be impressed. Luck needs to be comfortable. He's the only guy on the team that matters. The rest of the team is 2-14 caliber or worse. The Colts almost need 2 TEs anyway.

killxswitch
04-27-2012, 06:39 PM
You should be impressed. Luck needs to be comfortable. He's the only guy on the team that matters. The rest of the team is 2-14 caliber or worse. The Colts almost need 2 TEs anyway.

Fleener is a jump ball TE. We could've gotten that in the 4th. There were better players available and their chemistry is massively overrated.

falloutboy14
04-27-2012, 07:10 PM
16 picks till we're up. Still plenty of D-linemen & corners.

*edit* ok, that hurts a bit. I'll have to read up on Allen, but ... yeah.

MaxV
04-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Two TEs?

Ok, I guess we'll use that set a lot.

Still, with so many needs, spending 2 high picks on one position isn't what I would do.

Prowler
04-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Super conservative mode with that pick. Flex TE is the new wave for the NFL. I guess Luck knows how to use 3 TEs. Maybe they think that it'll take a couple of years for their defense to develop and are relying on vets the first year and then working in rookies with next season? Giving all the snaps to the vets?

killxswitch
04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Pathetic. Our defense will suck, again, and Allen isn't that good. Horrible use of high end picks on the worst TE class in a while. Just horrible.

falloutboy14
04-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Maybe that whole run game/defense talk was an elaborate smoke screen. Allen doesn't sound like a great blocker either. Not sure that's something that will be improved with both, but who knows. Luck will certainly have some tall receiving options. He's got a basketball background, so he's got some skills which can be used effectively. Just have to wait till the season to see how things work out.

Going to be some good players there for our 4th I guess. If it's not a defensive player that would be unfortunate.

RCAChainGang
04-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Maybe that whole run game/defense talk was an elaborate smoke screen. Allen doesn't sound like a great blocker either. Not sure that's something that will be improved with both, but who knows. Luck will certainly have some tall receiving options. He's got a basketball background, so he's got some skills which can be used effectively. Just have to wait till the season to see how things work out.

Going to be some good players there for our 4th I guess. If it's not a defensive player that would be unfortunate.

I can't believe Ta'amu is still on the board. I hope we get him.

Edit: Nevermind we have no 4th

MaxV
04-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Don't kill me, but I'll make a case for our first 2 days picks.

Look, we probably won't compete this season. The best thing for us is for Luck to get comfortable and to develop as fast as possible. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be upset if they pick talented OLs today.

Ta'amu, Markelle Martin and Lamar Miller are my favorite prospects right now.

Sloopy
04-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Yea I figured I'd drop in to see how you guys were doing/what the reaction was

I had to check online again this morning to make sure the pick wasn't reported wrong but indeed you guys took two TEs in the first 100 picks

Ta'amu probably gone by the time you select again.

Didn't address 3-4 DE or NT at all (I guess you could go the later round approach) and no 3-4 OLB/ILB. The only player left which might fit this scheme is Taze but...yea.

No corners to speak of that fit Chucky's old scheme

Was this all a clever ruse? Are you guys still going to run that undersized 4-3 scheme?

RCAChainGang
04-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Yea I figured I'd drop in to see how you guys were doing/what the reaction was

I had to check online again this morning to make sure the pick wasn't reported wrong but indeed you guys took two TEs in the first 100 picks

Ta'amu probably gone by the time you select again.

Didn't address 3-4 DE or NT at all (I guess you could go the later round approach) and no 3-4 OLB/ILB. The only player left which might fit this scheme is Taze but...yea.

No corners to speak of that fit Chucky's old scheme

Was this all a clever ruse? Are you guys still going to run that undersized 4-3 scheme?

I hope to heaven that we don't. I really hate watching our defense get trucked by every running back in the league.

RCAChainGang
04-28-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm hoping Dennard CB from Nebraska is our pick

Edit: Chapman is so much better. Picks are looking up!!!

MaxV
04-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Vic Ballard - RB.

Bruising back. Don't we already have 2 of those in Carter and Evans?

killxswitch
04-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Vic Ballard - RB.

Bruising back. Don't we already have 2 of those in Carter and Evans?

Yeah. I feel like there were again better players on the board, at positions of need. Like Dennard and Minnifield. Or Tommy Streeter or Marvin McNutt. Or Audie Cole. Or Markelle Martin. Or Levy Adcock. But whatever. It's the 6th.

MaxV
04-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Finally, a D player.

Fugger sounds athletic.

killxswitch
04-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I like Fugger. Not just for the last name either. Surprised we got zero CBs in this draft. There were some good ones.

falloutboy14
04-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Got to think they'll hit that with UDFAs. With no corner depth and the rebuilding of the front 7, I could see us being a promising team for UDFAs. Unless there's a run on corners, there's half a dozen I'd like to try out.

killxswitch
04-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking Micah Pellerin will make the team and play significant minutes. UDFA CBs will be flocking to sign with the Colts.

MaxV
04-29-2012, 07:00 PM
A list of confirmed UFAs so far:

Micah Pellerin - CB, Hampton
Jabin Sambrano - WR, Montana
Cameron Chism - CB, Maryland
Buddy Jackson - CB, Pitt
Chris Galippo - ILB, USC
Matt Merletti - S, UNC
Griff Whalen - WR, Stanford ... making sure Andrew has plenty of people to hand out with
Antonio Fenelus - CB, Wisconsin
Jason Foster - OL, Rhode Island
Brian Stahovich - P, San Diego State
Hayworth Hicks - OL, Iowa State
Steven Baker - OL, East Carolina
Kevin Eagan - DE, Endicott
James Aiono - DT, Utah

Jackson is a career backup, but had a very impressive pro day. Baker is a very interesting OL prospect. Not sure about the rest.

fishspinners
04-30-2012, 12:01 PM

Hats off to Grigson :D

MaxV
04-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Another UFA signing.

Chigbo Anunoby, 6'-4" 320lbs NT from Morehouse.

Interesting.

killxswitch
04-30-2012, 11:33 PM
The more the merrier.