PDA

View Full Version : Teams Poised For A Breakout Within The Next 5 Years

OSUGiants17
07-30-2011, 04:34 PM
As we all know, teams rise and fall all the time in sports. For example, the Raiders were in the Super Bowl a few years ago, and now they are considered a mediocre team in the bottom 15 of the league. The Cardinals were in the Super Bowl just 3 years ago and this year picked 5th in the draft. On the other hand there are teams like the Jets who turned it around and are now super bowl contenders. So my question is: Who do you think will become a Super Bowl contender within the next 5 years that will surprise people when they look back at how "bad" they were just a few years before. My picks:
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2. Kansas City Chiefs
3. St. Louis Rams
4. Detroit Lions
5. Houston Texans

In no particular order

Gay Ork Wang
07-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Every team can breakout in 5 years. every. team.

cvv84
07-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I like the moves the Browns are making. Building a solid defense and adding some good players on offense. If they can get a QB they could be a good team in 2-3 years.

Sloopy
07-30-2011, 05:06 PM
I got a break out team for you THIS year... Eagles

DoughBoy
07-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I got a break out team for you THIS year... Eagles

yeah, like there wasn't enough other places you could have posted that...

Dam8610
07-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Almost every team. In a 5 year period, almost every team makes the playoffs at least once.

ElectricEye
07-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah, have to join in as well; anything can happen in five years the way this league works. A better question is who can sustain success for five plus years like the truly elite teams do.

dannyz
07-30-2011, 05:34 PM
I think if the Lions have another one to two Good Drafts and Off Seasons they could be Super Bowl Contenders in 2013.

V.I.P
07-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Anytime can breakout in 5 years. So my pick for for this years breakout team is THE DETROIT LIONS :)

Monomach
07-30-2011, 06:19 PM
5 years is too long a period for this. The Eagles could win a superbowl, turn to crap, rebuild, and win again in that long of a time.

Holy damn is Houston ever looking like a power-to-be, though.

Dam8610
07-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Holy damn is Houston ever looking like a power-to-be, though.

...How so? Their secondary is at best average and at worst a disaster. Also, call me when they don't completely fold in a must win scenario.

Monomach
07-30-2011, 06:36 PM
...How so? Their secondary is at best average and at worst a disaster. Also, call me when they don't completely fold in a must win scenario.

They just signed Danieal Manning and Johnathan Joseph...

So they now have a top 10 CB and SS.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I agree on a TB, Detroit, and Rams they all have potential QB's for the future and are getting solid drafts finally. If Josh Freeman stays healthy the NFC South could be the most interesting division over the next decade. Love what the buccaneers have going on offense and their D-line could be an all time great if they all pan out.

Dam8610
07-30-2011, 06:38 PM

You do realize there's a second cornerback and strong safety in a secondary, right? And that's before you get to nickel packages, which are being played more and more by the most successful teams in the NFL. That's also assuming that both of those signings work out exactly as the Texans plan.

vidae
07-30-2011, 06:43 PM

So they now have a top 10 CB and SS.

Danieal Manning is a top 10 SS? When did that happen?

Monomach
07-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Danieal Manning is a top 10 SS? When did that happen?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/04/17/secret-superstar-danieal-manning-chicago-bears/

Bengalsrocket
07-30-2011, 06:53 PM
5 years is too long a period for this. The Eagles could win a superbowl, turn to crap, rebuild, and win again in that long of a time.

It's not like you're on trial here. Just make a guess, give an opinion and let the thread work.

I'll throw my votes down for STL and the Broncos. I'm not saying that either team will be consistent powerhouses like the Patriots or the Colts have been for the last 10 years, but I think both will be consistent contenders for the play offs.

I really expect STL to dominate that division for a good 5 year span starting very soon. And I think the AFC west is going to be a super competitive division with the Broncos on top a couple of times in the distant future.

CJSchneider
07-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Tampa Bay, Detroit and Houston being front runners on that list imo, but I agree. In fact, I picked TB to win the SB in my mock.

The Alex
07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
You do realize there's a second cornerback and strong safety in a secondary, right? And that's before you get to nickel packages, which are being played more and more by the most successful teams in the NFL. That's also assuming that both of those signings work out exactly as the Texans plan.

Bernard Pollard isn't too bad, is he?

Pat Sims 90
07-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Not trying to be a homer really but the Bengals could be good in a couple years with all the young talent they have.

Mr.Regular
07-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Tampa Bay is a powerhouse in waiting IMO. I'm a huge Josh Freeman fan. He's got some nice young weapons around him too. I like that running game...IMO the OLine isn't that great, and seeing how they produced last year in lieu of that was pretty spectacular for a young team.
That defensive front should be beastly soon as well. I think the rest of the pieces are coming into play on defense. Another solid draft, and another year of development for their young players, and these guys are going to be elite.

Dam8610
07-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Bernard Pollard isn't too bad, is he?

I'm a Purdue alum. All Pollard (a former Purdue football player) is good for is big hits, when he can get to the player with the ball. He's bad in coverage, he's only decent in run support, he's slow and doesn't have great instincts, and he's not a wrap up tackler.

bigbuc
07-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Whatever team picks first next year will be in the playoffs in the next three years... Luck is that good

wordofi
07-31-2011, 01:55 AM
Every team can breakout in 5 years. every. team.

Exactly. That's why I laughed when I read the thread title.

tjsunstein
07-31-2011, 05:43 AM
In 5 years? Why such a large window?

wordofi
07-31-2011, 10:38 AM
As we all know, teams rise and fall all the time in sports. For example, the Raiders were in the Super Bowl a few years ago, and now they are considered a mediocre team in the bottom 15 of the league. The Cardinals were in the Super Bowl just 3 years ago and this year picked 5th in the draft. On the other hand there are teams like the Jets who turned it around and are now super bowl contenders. So my question is: Who do you think will become a Super Bowl contender within the next 5 years that will surprise people when they look back at how "bad" they were just a few years before. My picks:
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2. Kansas City Chiefs
3. St. Louis Rams
4. Detroit Lions
5. Houston Texans

In no particular order

You might as well put all 32 teams.