PDA

View Full Version : Worst to First: 2011 Edition

Nikolas
07-31-2011, 03:35 AM
Every year, some team goes from last place in their division to topping it the next. Kansas City accomplished this feat in 2010, New Orleans in '09, Miami in '08, etc. Which team will it be this year?

hawkeye123
07-31-2011, 04:01 AM
49ers (/homer)

Cardinals if Kolb plays well (/non homer)

tjsunstein
07-31-2011, 05:39 AM
I'll go Cardinals based on weakness of division.

Jamaal-Football
07-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Imo the only teams that have a legitimate shot at winning their division are the Titans and the Cardinals. The Titans have talent on offense, and if Hasselbeck can play average/above average i feel they have a shot at taking down the Colts. The Cardinals are a wild card because they could either have a good starting quarterback, or a dog **** starting quarterback. I think everyone else either sucks too much or are in a division where there is a near-lock.

49erNation85
07-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Don't be dissing on the 49ers man we will rise don't worry.But Bills for right now they have no offense and QB.

Splat
07-31-2011, 09:26 AM
I'll go Cardinals based on weakness of division.

This.

Worst Div in football.

wordofi
07-31-2011, 10:42 AM
The Cardinals are the only team that makes sense. I can tell you right now that it definitely won't be the Panthers. They would have to finish ahead of Tampa Bay, Atlanta, and New Orleans.

The Alex
07-31-2011, 10:50 AM
The Cardinals are the only team that makes sense. I can tell you right now that it definitely won't be the Panthers. They would have to finish ahead of Tampa Bay, Atlanta, and New Orleans.

Thanks for pointing that out, I forgot what teams were in their division.

etk
07-31-2011, 02:58 PM
I like the Broncos. Fox is a pretty good coach and Tebow has winning intangibles. Just a gut feel...

Shane P. Hallam
07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd say Cardinals, but Titans and Panthers may have a shot.

Brothgar
07-31-2011, 03:12 PM
I would be very surprised if any of these teams take the division. I would guess the Vikings have the best shot as of right now. As much as I hate to say it I think McNabb returning to the WCO could do well for him.

fenikz
07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Cardinals are the obvious choice if I had to choose a different team though it would be the Panthers

CJSchneider
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM
I'd say Cardinals, but Titans and Panthers may have a shot.

http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/files/2011/06/dog-dude-wait-what.jpg

BufFan71
07-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Don't be dissing on the 49ers man we will rise don't worry.But Bills for right now they have no offense and QB.

The Bills have a better Qb and offense than the 49'ers

hawkeye123
07-31-2011, 04:03 PM
The Bills have a better Qb and offense than the 49'ers

Not sure if serious.

Shane P. Hallam
07-31-2011, 04:12 PM
http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/files/2011/06/dog-dude-wait-what.jpg

I don't like Cam, but the defense is built very well and they can rely on the run game.

CJSchneider
07-31-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't like Cam, but the defense is built very well and they can rely on the run game.

Yeah, um, it's not happening. The NFC South is gonna swallow them whole and poop them out like corn this year.

Shane P. Hallam
07-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah, um, it's not happening. The NFC South is gonna swallow them whole and poop them out like corn this year.

One of those top three teams are going to falter hard with some injuries.

RaiderNation
07-31-2011, 05:00 PM
I went with the Titans. With stable QB play from Hasselbeck decent passing weapons and CJ2K in the back field the offense should be fine. The Colts haven't really improved the team much and Peyton won't be 100% until mYbe around mid season. Houston does have alot of talent on both sides the ball but I think it will take a year to get the defense together.

Also depending on how Kolb turns out, the Cardinals could easily win their division. I just don't think Kolb will he that good

Matthew Jones
07-31-2011, 06:53 PM
I went with the Titans. With stable QB play from Hasselbeck decent passing weapons and CJ2K in the back field the offense should be fine. The Colts haven't really improved the team much and Peyton won't be 100% until mYbe around mid season. Houston does have alot of talent on both sides the ball but I think it will take a year to get the defense together.

Also depending on how Kolb turns out, the Cardinals could easily win their division. I just don't think Kolb will he that good

You might be right about Tennessee, but I don't know if I'd call Matt Hasselbeck "stable." He hasn't put together a good season since the Bush administration.

AntoinCD
07-31-2011, 07:37 PM
I think this will be the year where we don't see it.

Buffalo Bills-They play in the AFC East with two of the early season favourties to represent the AFC in the Superbowl. They also have average play from the QB position, a mediocre offensive line and a lack of talent at the skill positions. Their defense is improving but they still lack someone to rush the passer.

Minnesota Vikings-If the O-line was better you could make an arguement that they could ride Peterson to the NFC North but that isn't the case. They will also be starting afresh at QB and lost their best outside weapon in Sidney Rice. The defensive line also lost a solid player in Edwards and the safeties are the worst in the NFL. Plus they play in a division with the Superbowl winning Packers, the NFC North Champion Bears and the upward trending Lions. I don't see it this year.

Denver Broncos-They added some talent this offseason and should be able to rush the passer with Von Miller and a healhty Doom. But they are extremely weak up the middle and they are in flux at QB. If Tebow starts there may be an X Factor in this but I don't think they can overtake KC or SD who should be very motivated this year.

Arizona Cardinals-Potentially Kolb could give them their franchise QB and take the team to new hights but I seriously don't see it. They also lost a lot of WR talent since they last won the division. Ryan Williams and Beanie may struggle to run behind their offensive line as well. Their defense has some talent but there are notable holes in it too. I think Sam Bradford takes his first divison crown this year with St Louis.

Tennessee Titans-Probably the best team of the worst teams IMO. If CJ2K ends his holdout soon then they have the running game and Britt is an excellent WR, even if he is a dumbass. Defensively losing Babin and Tulloch will hurt though. They should be competitive but they play the Colts twice, the Jags who have quietly improved twice, and the Texans who have seriously improved twice.

Washington Redskins-They may have improved by subtraction this year but right now this is my favourite for the #1 overall pick. Questions at QB, questions along the line, questions at RB, questions at WR. They have talent on defense but most of it doesn't fit Haslett's scheme. Plus the play in the same division as the "Dream Team"

Cincinnati Bengals-They lost arguably their best defensive player and replaced him with an aging player who hasn't played that great in years. They are putting their hopes on a 2nd round rookie throwing to a rookie WR, a 2nd year TE and a few JAGs. Not a terrible team IMO but won't get near Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

Carolina Panthers-In any given year with the improvements they have made I would give them a fighting shot. However the other three teams in the division have also made significant improvements. If Cam Newton can play like Vince Young did as a rookie they have a tiny chance if injuries fall their way but I find it highly unlikely since the other three teams are all contenders to go deep into January.

bucfan12
07-31-2011, 08:00 PM
I think it's Minnesota and Arizona that have the best chances, although pickings are slim. Cardinals play in the worst division in football so anyone can win that division.

Minnesota has a very good team, but was hindered by Farve and Childress last year. Plus, that NFC North Division has just gotten a lot tougher with Detroit building up.

Carolina could become competitive with their defense, but Atlanta and Tampa have a lot of young talent that is developing and franchise QBs. Saints are still super bowl contenders as well for a bit, as long as Brees is there.

Rob S
07-31-2011, 08:02 PM

Bills have no offense........lol, we have problems, but our defense was what killed us last year. Sans QB, offense is the least of our worries. Also, the answer here is clearly Cardinals imo (if required to choose one....this could be the year nobody does it). They have some talent and could surely surely win that crapfest of a division.

J-Mike88
08-01-2011, 07:18 PM
The Panthers shouldn't have any votes in that division. I didn't realize we had that many Carolina fans in here.

If Kolb plays well, I believe the Cardinals are as good as anyone in that crappy division, so they're the obvious answer here.

Vikings, possibly. I mean last year at this time they were the defending division champs, and now they have added.... Devin Aromshodu so....

Toan
08-03-2011, 01:39 AM
The Panthers shouldn't have any votes in that division. I didn't realize we had that many Carolina fans in here.

Are you dense, son?

The worst team in the NFC-S have turnout the best record the following season (and made the playoffs), in all but the 2008 & 2010 seasons.

Even so, in both those seasons, the two teams improve their losing records from the year before to winning ones.

I don't think any one of those teams listed will be atop of their division this season, but the team that will be the most competitive to the rest of their division will be the Panthers. I think Saints and the Bucs will miss the playoffs/have a down season.

ATL
CAR
NO
TB

Bengalsrocket
08-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Are you dense, son?

The worst team in the NFC-S have turnout the best record the following season (and made the playoffs), in all but the 2008 & 2010 seasons.

Even so, in both those seasons, the two teams improve their losing records from the year before to winning ones.

I don't think any one of those teams listed will be atop of their division this season, but the team that will be the most competitive to the rest of their division will be the Panthers. I think Saints and the Bucs will miss the playoffs/have a down season.

ATL
CAR
NO
TB

For the majority of this decade, no team in the NFCS had stable QB play. The Saints grabbed Brees off Free Agency half way through and won a superbowl with him. The Falcons and Bucs just spent the last 2-3 years developing their young QB's with star potential.

This isn't the same NFC South as it was before. All 3 of those teams seem to have relatively stable coaching staffs with above average to great QB's.

Carolina doesn't stand a chance this year, even if Newton is everything they hope he will be.

jrdrylie
08-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Buffalo- I think they will be better this season. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a great QB, but he can be a caretaker for the offense. I think they could get to 8-8. But that is not going to cut it in a division with the Jets and Patriots.

Cincinnati- They may be the worst team in the league. Palmer isn't going to play and I think Dalton is a career backup in the NFL. Right now they are the favorite for the top overall pick and Andrew Luck. Getting to six wins would be shocking. Winning the division would be a miracle.

Tennessee- I'm not as high on Matt Hasselbeck as some. Do I think he'll do better than Locker would this year? Probably. But I still think he is half the QB he used to be. Indianapolis is still good. Houston should be much better. And I think even Jacksonville will make a playoff push. Tennessee could get 7 wins.

Denver- Kyle Orton is a better QB than Tim Tebow right now, but I think they would win more games with Tebow starting. But with no rush offense and no rush defense, there is no way they can compete, even in a pretty weak division. 6 or 7 wins is likely.

Carolina- If the Panther make the playoffs, I'll be shocked! The overpaid for their own guys from a terrible team, they have no QB, their star running back is pissed at the team. They'll be better this year. Only because it is nearly impossible to be worse.

Minnesota- Green Bay won the Super Bowl. Chicago is slightly improved. And Detroit should be better (assuming Stafford is healthy). But it comes down to McNabb. Is he 2010 McNabb? If so, they will be in last again. But if he is 2008 McNabb, they could compete for the Division.

Dallas- They tied with Washington at 6-10. I think they win the Division. Their offensive line should be better. Romo should be healthy. And I think Dez Bryant goes off this year. Washington doesn't pose a threat. The Giants should be good, but only wild card good. A lot of people are prematurely crowning the Eagles. But Michael Vick has never had back-to-back playoff seasons and I don't think it happens this year.

Arizona- I think Kolb will be an above average QB. And in this division, that is all the need. St. Louis will be better and depending on how much Bradford progresses, they could be really good. but for now, I think the Cardinals are the favorites.

Candidates for first to worst: Seattle and Kansas City.