PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress Signs With Jets

tjsunstein
07-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Per ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6820679/plaxico-burress-new-york-jets-agree-one-year-deal-sources-say)

1 year deal worth 3 mil.

Still plenty of WRs left on the market.

AHungryWalrus
07-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Don't understand why we signed him instead of Moss, unless Moss is asking for way more money. And this is a definitive end to BrayBray in New York. So, ugh.

Nalej
07-31-2011, 10:35 AM
At this point, I think Edwards > Burress so it's a whatever move to me

wordofi
07-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Per ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6820679/plaxico-burress-new-york-jets-agree-one-year-deal-sources-say)

1 year deal worth 3 mil.

Still plenty of WRs left on the market.

Sounds like a good deal to me. The Jets need a big receiver since Edwards is probably not going to return.

AHungryWalrus
07-31-2011, 10:40 AM
At this point, I think Edwards > Burress so it's a whatever move to me

Well, Duh. But he wants closer to Holmes money. So, one year 3 million dollar deal, or 5 year 45-ish million dollar deal. With the need to resign Cromartie or get some #2 corner, we couldn't afford it.

Nalej
07-31-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't think you understand my POV.
I'm a Pats fan... all I care is whether this move made your team better or worse.
You downgraded your WR position... I'm all for it.

Do you think Cromartie comes back knowing he was plan B?
I can see him taking offense and heading elsewhere if the Jets don't give him the best deal out there

Matthew Jones
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
I am going to assume this means Braylon Edwards won't be back next year. Got a lot slower and older at the WR spot.

AHungryWalrus
07-31-2011, 10:54 AM
He's a downgrade, but he didn't make our team worse. It would essentially be Plax + Cro (I actually am pretty sure he will re-sign with us http://twitter.com/#!/adamschefter ), or it would be Braylon and a crappy #2 corner.

Seeing as we already have Cotchery and Keller, and we're looking to sign Heap, it's ok having a slightly worse #2. But with Rex's scheme, we can't afford to get worse at corner.

All that said, I still wish we had BrayBray. I love the guy.

Nalej
07-31-2011, 10:58 AM
You're comparing this years plan A to plan B.
I'm comparing your roster vs last years roster.

AHungryWalrus
07-31-2011, 11:01 AM
You're comparing this years plan A to plan B.
I'm comparing your roster vs last years roster.

Eh. It's a drop off, but hopefully Sanchez's progression and growth as a quarterback offsets it. Also, if we sign Heap, we will actually have a pretty sick two tight end offense with Holmes, Plax, Keller, and Heap.

Malaka
07-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Eh. It's a drop off, but hopefully Sanchez's progression and growth as a quarterback offsets it. Also, if we sign Heap, we will actually have a pretty sick two tight end offense with Holmes, Plax, Keller, and Heap.

Except in that two TE offense running the ball doesn't seem like it would be effective =P

AHungryWalrus
07-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Obviously we aren't planning on setting any edges here.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
He went where the money was. We basically blew him off with an offer with no signing bonus. Everything had to be earned so he went where they paid 3 million.

Nalej
07-31-2011, 03:06 PM

ehh, now what?

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-31-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't see a ton of value in this deal from the Jets standpoint.

You sign him to a 1 year deal post prison. @ 3.1M.

With a short off-season -- I don't see how he gets his legs back to make a significant impact.

OSUGiants17
07-31-2011, 07:58 PM
I just find it funny that jets fans on plax as a giant said "he's overrated and an idiot who shot himself, he'll never do anything again!". Then after the jets sign him "ZOMGZ! Plax and Holmes! best wr corps in the league". smh

niel89
07-31-2011, 08:04 PM
I honestly don't expect anything from Plax. He isn't young and is coming off a couple years of not playing. It will take him a while just to get readjusted to the game and then we will see if he is that good anymore. I never thought that he was that great at his peak.

Thecollegedropout
08-01-2011, 02:43 AM
I just find it funny that jets fans on plax as a giant said "he's overrated and an idiot who shot himself, he'll never do anything again!". Then after the jets sign him "ZOMGZ! Plax and Holmes! best wr corps in the league". smh
Plax WAS the offensive target for the Giants, Plax will be maybe the 4th option at offense for the Jets behind Holmes, Keller, Greene and possibly Cotchery.

That is where the hype may come from. Plax was asked to be so much more for the Giants than he probably will be for the Jets.

Thecollegedropout
08-01-2011, 02:44 AM
I am going to assume this means Braylon Edwards won't be back next year. Got a lot slower and older at the WR spot.
If it means more looks for Jerricho Cotchery, it will also mean more steady hands at the WR for us.

Ness
08-01-2011, 03:38 AM
I honestly don't expect anything from Plax. He isn't young and is coming off a couple years of not playing. It will take him a while just to get readjusted to the game and then we will see if he is that good anymore. I never thought that he was that great at his peak.

I'm not expecting much either. I'd be surprised if he has half of the flare he had when he left the Giants. But he could get better as time goes on. He can still have a few productive years at his age for a receiver. We'll see.

Oh and why do you have a photo of me in your avatar?

senormysterioso
08-01-2011, 04:16 AM
didn't the steelers blow up this receiver corps about 8 years ago and rebuild?

BaLLiN
08-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Plax WAS the offensive target for the Giants, Plax will be maybe the 4th option at offense for the Jets behind Holmes, Keller, Greene and possibly Cotchery.

That is where the hype may come from. Plax was asked to be so much more for the Giants than he probably will be for the Jets.

Umm...

Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Steve Smith, Jerrell Jernigan, Victor Cruz, Domenik Hixon, and possibly even Devin Thomas (former redskins 2nd round pick), Ramses Barden

Just at WR...
(starting experience is bolded)

Im pretty sure that the Giants didnt ask him to be as much as the Jets are, especially when they've signed him back instead of Braylon (who was a starter). We gave him no signing bonus and his contract was all about incentives although it was more than the Jets or Eagles.

Also the reason behind Eli not hopping on the Plax bandwagon was bc he didnt want to hurt any feelings of the receivers he already has. I think that really means that he was confident in his corps and these guys all have shown flashes of being major contributors.

OSUGiants17
08-01-2011, 11:22 AM

First off as Ballin pointed out, the responsibilities would be equal. Second, what does your post have to do with my post at all aside from mentioning the same 2 teams I mentioned? Also, Plax being a 4th option behind Keller and Greene doesn't change the WR corps which is what I brought up.

Thecollegedropout
08-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Umm...

Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham, Steve Smith, Jerrell Jernigan, Victor Cruz, Domenik Hixon, and possibly even Devin Thomas (former redskins 2nd round pick), Ramses Barden

Just at WR...
(starting experience is bolded)

Im pretty sure that the Giants didnt ask him to be as much as the Jets are, especially when they've signed him back instead of Braylon (who was a starter). We gave him no signing bonus and his contract was all about incentives although it was more than the Jets or Eagles.

Also the reason behind Eli not hopping on the Plax bandwagon was bc he didnt want to hurt any feelings of the receivers he already has. I think that really means that he was confident in his corps and these guys all have shown flashes of being major contributors.
Not referring to what he would be for you guys now, referring to what he meant to you guys when he was around before, especially on that super bowl run.

Forgot you guys had the Jacobs/Bradshaw running attack during the SB year so Burress was probably big threat No.2 on the Giants offense....but was still the big target the Super Bowl year for Eli to throw to, especially when Shockey went down with his injury.

Thecollegedropout
08-01-2011, 11:30 AM
First off as Ballin pointed out, the responsibilities would be equal. Second, what does your post have to do with my post at all aside from mentioning the same 2 teams I mentioned? Also, Plax being a 4th option behind Keller and Greene doesn't change the WR corps which is what I brought up.
Your post that I initially quoted was referring to Jets fans(And other fans, wasn't just the Jets fans) calling Burress overrated when he was a Giant and I just gave the reason as to why he might have been talked down upon as a Giant as opposed to him being a Jet now. He was asked to be so much more as a Giant for them to achieve success and as a result fans might have spoken a bit too high about him. (Some) Giants fans mentioned him being an elite WR in the game as a Giants, now as a Jet you would not hear a single Jet fan sell him upon being such and Burress might very well be the team's 3rd WR behind Holmes and Cotchery.

I wasn't talking at all about what he would mean for you if he signed with you guys in 2011.

BaLLiN
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Not referring to what he would be for you guys now, referring to what he meant to you guys when he was around before, especially on that super bowl run.

Forgot you guys had the Jacobs/Bradshaw running attack during the SB year so Burress was probably big threat No.2 on the Giants offense....but was still the big target the Super Bowl year for Eli to throw to, especially when Shockey went down with his injury.

Oh i get it, well thats pretty obvious. What your saying is correct, but even assuming Plax is 4th option is being hopeful. What most giants fans had in mind was bringing him back as purely a redzone threat, which his height hands and leaping ability would cover and allow him to get used to the conditioning, speed, and fluidity in the routes. Then maybe he could get a start or more playing time but not be thrust into a pivotal role

I dont think Plax is ready to be put in the starting lineup, despite how eager he must be to resurrect his reputation and prove that he can still play. This move for you guys is really like someone mentioned earlier:

Plan A: Cromartie and Plax
Plan B: Braylon and CB (probably average)

Plax has much better potential to play his position because he's unknown right now but at one point was an elite receiver. The corner would probably be a nickel, so signing back cromartie who played better than expected and knows the system is much better than the average CB.

Like OSU was saying, the Jetsfans are getting way to excited over a move that really was a fallback bc they didnt have the cash to pay Braylon. It could pay off, but at this point Braylon is definitely better than Plax in terms of being ready to play, and maybe even in general with how old Plax is.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Eh. I don't blame Plax for taking the most money on the table.

What I don't get is, the Jets didn't resign Edwards bc he was too much of a diva.

So they sign Burress instead?? Uhhh...really?

derza222
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM

What I don't get is, the Jets didn't resign Edwards bc he was too much of a diva.

I think Plax came quite a bit cheaper as well, which helped when it came to re-signing Cro and will presumably help with pulling together guys to fill out the roster too. Think if Braylon wasn't asking for #1 WR money it could've been a different story. Plax is definitely a gamble though, we'll see how it plays out.

They're talking about moving Cotchery for cap room which I think is a big risk because J-Co is at least a borderline starter (not long ago he was a very good #2 and productive as the Jets' #1) at this point and is nice insurance in case Plax doesn't work out. If you get rid of Cotchery you're left with a bunch of young, unproven guys and maybe another relatively cheap FA. I like having him around as an insurance policy (and a good #3), hopefully they keep him, but it looks like he may be gone.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-01-2011, 10:51 PM

Eh, i think Plax is less diva than Edwards, especially at this point. Not that he is an angel, but you know what i mean. He also came a lot cheaper i think. Braylon thinks he's pretty elite.

Overall, it is most likely a downgrade at receiver. The Jets offseason has been fairly uneventful thus far. Good thing we went so far the past two seasons with what we have. I guess the hope is that the progressions increase enough to offset the losses of some guys while maintaining the status quo

NY+Giants=NYG
08-02-2011, 05:33 AM

At least he can call his coach by his first name, and he can do what he wants without being fined or bothered. Remember that quote that got him benched? "I do what I want to do" or something along those lines.

But he took the money, I don't blame him either. Our offer was a slap in the face. Like I said before, I am not a baseball fan but it reminded me of when the Yanks offered Torre a garbage offer, knowing full well he would turn it down and leave. However, if they can always turn around and say, hey we offered a contract, he turned it down, knowing full well it was not good enough.

GET LOOSE
08-02-2011, 01:23 PM
I have a good feeling about plax i know he hasnt played in awhile but i think he'll be just that more determined. Good signing for the jets though braylon will be missed

Hurricanes25
08-02-2011, 03:33 PM
As long as we keep Cotchery, I'm ok with signing Plax over Braylon. Remember, Cotch was playing with an injury last year and didn't play too well. He's a solid 2 when healthy.

GET LOOSE
08-02-2011, 04:06 PM
I would be pissed if we got rid of cotch hes one of my favorite jets and hes such an underrated wr. We need holmes plax and cotch to have an effective passing attack

bigbluedefense
08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Trading Cotch would be a huge mistake. Plax is not ready to be a #2 WR. He'll be a redzone threat this year while he regains his legs.

gsorace
08-05-2011, 07:23 PM
With Edwards signing a 1 year deal for 3.5 mil and the Jets releasing Cotchery this signing is starting to look pretty terrible.

Hurricanes25
08-05-2011, 07:25 PM
With Edwards signing a 1 year deal for 3.5 mil and the Jets releasing Cotchery this signing is starting to look pretty terrible.

It sure does. And why they would screw with Sanchez and his chemistry with the wideouts is beyond me.