PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft - Offensive Position Rankings

princefielder28
07-31-2011, 11:56 AM
I've been working on some rankings for nearly a month now so I figured I'd go ahead and post what I have so far...I did not include that many underclassmen and I included the guys I feel have a strong chance of entering their name into the draft class at this point in time

Quarterbacks

1. Andrew Luck : STANFORD*
2. Matt Barkley : USC*
3. Kirk Cousins : MICHIGAN STATE
4. Ryan Lindley : SAN DIEGO STATE
5. Geno Smith : WEST VIRGINIA*
6. Chandler Harnish : NORTHERN ILLINOIS
7. Landry Jones : OKLAHOMA*
8. Ryan Tannehill : TEXAS A&M
9. Nick Foles : ARIZONA
10. Kellen Moore : BOISE STATE

Running Backs

1. Trent Richardson : ALABMA*
2. Cyrus Gray : TEXAS A&M
3. Andre Ellington : CLEMSON*
4. Knile Davis : ARKANSAS*
5. David Wilson : VIRGINIA TECH*
6. Chris Polk : WASHINGTON*
7. LaMichael James : OREGON*
8. Brandon Bolden : OLE MISS
9. Montel Harris : BOSTON COLLEGE
10. Isaiah Pead : CINCINNATI

Wide Receivers

1. Alshon Jeffery : SOUTH CAROLINA*
2. Justin Blackmon : OKLAHOMA STATE*
3. Jeff Fuller : TEXAS A&M
4. Ryan Broyles : OKLAHOMA
5. Michael Floyd : NOTRE DAME
6. Ty Hilton : FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
7. Nick Toon : WISCONSIN
8. Dwight Jones : NORTH CAROLINA
9. Greg Childs : ARKANSAS
10. Jermaine Kearse : WASHINGTON

Tight Ends

1. Michael Egnew : MISSOURI
2. Ladarius Green : LOUSIANA-LAFAYETTE
3. Rhett Ellison : USC
4. Kevin Koger : MICHIGAN
5. Coby Fleener : STANFORD

Offensive Tackles

1. Matt Kalil : USC*
2. Jonathan Martin : STANFORD*
3. Levy Adcock : OKLAHOMA STATE
4. Andrew Datko : FLORIDA STATE
5. Mike Adams : OHIO STATE
6. Brandon Mosley : AUBURN
7. Mitchell Schwartz : CALIFORNIA
8. Matt Reynolds : BYU
9. Matt McCants : UAB
10. Mike Ryan : UCONN

Offensive Guards

1. David DeCastro : STANFORD*
2. Cordy Glenn : GOERGIA
3. Kelechie Osemele : IOWA STATE
4. Amini Silatolu : NORTHWESTERN STATE
5. Kevin Zeitler : WISCONSIN
6. Senio Kelemete : WASHINGTON
7. Joel Foreman : MICHIGAN STATE
8. Quinton Saulsberry : MISSISSIPPI STATE
9. Lucas Nix : PITTSBURGH
10. Rokevious Watkins : SOUTH CAROLINA

Centers

1. Peter Konz : WISCONSIN*
2. Ben Jones : GEORGIA
3. Mike Brewster : OHIO STATE
4. William Vlachos : ALABAMA
5. David Molk : MICHIGAN

OSUGiants17
07-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Knile Davis should be higher up on the RB list. And were is Devier Posey? I also think Geno Smith is way too high on that list

princefielder28
07-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Knile Davis should be higher up on the RB list. And were is Devier Posey? I also think Geno Smith is way too high on that list

With as strong as the RB class is at the top, placing Davis as the 4th best RB is not slighting him all too much

Posey is one of the most overrated prospects and with the troubles in Columbus right now, it's not going to help his development as a player

Geno Smith is a big, strong kid with good arm strength and mechanically sound. He's mobile and can also creates plays with his feet. The offense he'll be playing in will allow him to showcase his abilities as a passer even further. Luck is locked in as the #1 QB without a doubt and it wouldn't surprise me if we're talking about Smith as the #2 guy behind him once the draft process gets going. This is gonna be a big year for him!

ElectricEye
07-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Good stuff. Very similar to how I've got things in the early goings. A lot of people are going to think you ranked Foles and Jones waaay too low, but I wouldn't agree with them(we touched on this in the past). I think it's a little bit too early to put Geno Smith there, but if he puts up anywhere near the type of numbers Weeden did in the same system, he's got the tools to be very attractive.

etk
07-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Did you forget about Juron Criner? Also Dwight Jones is underrated on that list.

Prepare to feel the wrath from shylo RE: Lamar Miller.

DeepThreat
07-31-2011, 02:57 PM
No Riley Reiff?

Coombser
07-31-2011, 03:30 PM
No Riley Reiff?

Exactly my thought

niel89
07-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I think that Owusu could easily end up as a pretty good prospect, but after last year he has to re-earn some respect. He was probably the 3rd/4th option at Stanford and had injury issues all year.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
07-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Prince,

Nice lists.

What are your thoughts on Dan Persa if he comes back healthy and has another solid year?

Shane P. Hallam
07-31-2011, 10:40 PM
You'll want to bump Tannehill up your list. Just rewatched some games, and hot damn.

Matthew Jones
08-01-2011, 09:36 AM
What led you to rank Adcock so far up? Based on what I've seen he's nowhere near as good as someone like Datko.

ElectricEye
08-01-2011, 09:51 AM
You'll want to bump Tannehill up your list. Just rewatched some games, and hot damn.

I want to see some more out of him, but looking back on tape his arm is a lot stronger than I initially thought. I'm amazed at how much of a feel he has for the position in such little time too. A&M QB's have been fools gold in the past, but he's one to watch for sure.

SolidGold
08-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Tannehill is awesome. He will be one of the more interesting pre draft QBs to watch depending on how he does during the season.

I just wonder if scouts will see him more as an athlete playing QB or a legit qb prospect. I guess his performance during the season will determine that.

princefielder28
08-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Prince,

Nice lists.

What are your thoughts on Dan Persa if he comes back healthy and has another solid year?

I'd say Persa is someone worth bringing as a late round/UDFA type guy and see what he doesn in camp but nothing more than that

all we have in 7 games to go off of and i want to see what he does this season and i'll agree that there is alot to like about him from what he's shown so far

What led you to rank Adcock so far up? Based on what I've seen he's nowhere near as good as someone like Datko.

Adcock is more physical and doesn't have the injury concerns/history that Datko does at this point...both exceptional pass protectors

princefielder28
08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
No Riley Reiff?

I don't like adding that many underclassmen to my intial rankings; he falls under that category

Giantsfan1080
08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Sanu has pretty much already said he's coming out after this year so you can throw him into your WR rankings.

DraftnikCentral
08-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Good call on Peter Konz being at the top of the list. I felt he was Wisconsin's best lineman last year, which says a lot considering how much I liked Carimi.

Crimson79
08-02-2011, 03:35 AM

Watch him against OU and you might rethink that bump. Dude looked terrible.

keylime_5
08-02-2011, 12:09 PM
brewster is gonna be the first center drafted....and i would bet anything that Posey is in the top 10 WRs. He's probably in the top 5.

ElectricEye
08-05-2011, 07:52 PM
That was actually fairly insightful spammer, even though it lacked a subject. Thank you for at least taking the time to appear topical. A+ for effort. If I were to ever buy Maple Story Mesos, which I regret to inform you I will not be doing, I would purchase them from you.

jth1331
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I've been working on some rankings for nearly a month now so I figured I'd go ahead and post what I have so far...I did not include that many underclassmen and I included the guys I feel have a strong chance of entering their name into the draft class at this point in time

Quarterbacks

3. Kirk Cousins : MICHIGAN STATE
5. Geno Smith : WEST VIRGINIA*
6. Chandler Harnish : NORTHERN ILLINOIS

Stopped reading there, complete lunacy to rank Jones as the 7th best QB right now.

Malaka
08-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Any chance Barkley stays at SC one more year in hopes of being first overall? He'll be far and away the #1 QB next year like Luck is this year.

princefielder28
08-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Any chance Barkley stays at SC one more year in hopes of being first overall? He'll be far and away the #1 QB next year like Luck is this year.

If Barkley has intentions of finishing his degree before he leaves school then there's no doubt that we could see him stay, but outside of that, and possibly poor play throughout his junior year, I don't see a reason why he wouldn't enter the draft...teams like washington, buffalo, miami, seattle, oakland, and denver are all lacking a long term solution at QB so there's a good chance he wouldn't be on the board long even with Luck above him

J52
08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Alshon Jefferey ate his way out of the first round. He's put on like 25 pounds of fat.

tjsunstein
08-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Alshon Jefferey ate his way out of the first round. He's put on like 25 pounds of fat.
This isn't true at all and you will see that on Saturday.

ToldLikeItIs
08-30-2011, 11:59 PM
You're missing Reiff, and McNutt.

tjsunstein
08-31-2011, 12:26 AM
It's happening again...

yo123
08-31-2011, 01:18 AM

He said he wasn't going to include many underclassmen. And McNutt is not a top 10 WR prospect.

Iamcanadian
08-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Another Jeffrey lover, anybody who has Jeffrey as the #1 WR hasn't been a draftnik long enough.
Spurrier has sent many WR's to pro football as #1 and #2 round draft picks and almost everyone of them has flopped as a pro. He simply relies on his offensive system to make WR's look far better than they actually are. Spurrier places his better athletes who could play WR at DB and has produced many fine DB's for pro football but I repeat, his WR's mostly flop or are huge disappointments.
Jeffrey will be very lucky to see round 1 as pro GM's are very aware of his tendency to put inferior athletes at the WR position and often downgrade them 1 round for playing in Spurrier's offensive system.

princefielder28
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Another Jeffrey lover, anybody who has Jeffrey as the #1 WR hasn't been a draftnik long enough.
Spurrier has sent many WR's to pro football as #1 and #2 round draft picks and almost everyone of them has flopped as a pro. He simply relies on his offensive system to make WR's look far better than they actually are. Spurrier places his better athletes who could play WR at DB and has produced many fine DB's for pro football but I repeat, his WR's mostly flop or are huge disappointments.
Jeffrey will be very lucky to see round 1 as pro GM's are very aware of his tendency to put inferior athletes at the WR position and often downgrade them 1 round for playing in Spurrier's offensive system.

Alshon is a very different player at receiver than what Spurrier has sent to the NFL before...plus I hate the argument, "players from this school or under this coach are ALWAYS this or that and they'll NEVER be anything in the NFL"

Ozzy
08-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Pretty standard list, this is what stood out to me though.....

3. Kirk Cousins : MICHIGAN STATE I like Cousins as much as the next guy but because he does not have elite arm strength I doubt he becomes this high of a selection, what 2nd round pick or 3rd, not sure he is at that level.
5. Geno Smith : WEST VIRGINIA* That is a surprise, he has ability but players below him are much better than he is
6. Chandler Harnish : NORTHERN ILLINOIS I like the guy, but his physical athletic ability is what is best about him, he does not have a great throwing arm and is better out scrambling than throwing the ball
8. Ryan Tannehill : TEXAS A&M The kid is a baller and should be much higher, playing receiver for as long as he did in college, then just walking in, and making A&M an elite football program thanks to his quarterback play, there is nothing to not like about him
9. Nick Foles : ARIZONA Much better player than this, had the size, nice touch, pure passer, doubt he drops this far, ranking 9th is what undrafted? No way.
10. Kellen Moore : BOISE STATE Another straight up baller, can play better than some of these quarterbacks and would be an awesome backup project quarterback anywhere

Iamcanadian
08-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Alshon is a very different player at receiver than what Spurrier has sent to the NFL before...plus I hate the argument, "players from this school or under this coach are ALWAYS this or that and they'll NEVER be anything in the NFL"

NFL scouts and GM's aren't fools, they realize that college HC's have tendencies about where they like to place their better athletes when they enter college as freshman.
Spurrier has had great offensive success as a college HC placing his better athletes at DB and his secondary athletes at WR. The longer a HC stays in his job, the more obvious it becomes where his tendencies lay.
Spurrier's WR's have always put up sensational #'s as college WR's but for the most part been disappointments as pro WR's.
I'm not saying Spurrier's WR's won't have some success as pro WR's but you have to look at them suspiciously and certainly pro scouts and GM's take this view. Jeffery will be very lucky to see round 1.
I do agree that it has nothing to do with the school but to ignore college HCing tendencies when ranking prospects, is foolish to me.

princefielder28
08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Pretty standard list, this is what stood out to me though.....

3. Kirk Cousins : MICHIGAN STATE I like Cousins as much as the next guy but because he does not have elite arm strength I doubt he becomes this high of a selection, what 2nd round pick or 3rd, not sure he is at that level.
5. Geno Smith : WEST VIRGINIA* That is a surprise, he has ability but players below him are much better than he is
6. Chandler Harnish : NORTHERN ILLINOIS I like the guy, but his physical athletic ability is what is best about him, he does not have a great throwing arm and is better out scrambling than throwing the ball
8. Ryan Tannehill : TEXAS A&M The kid is a baller and should be much higher, playing receiver for as long as he did in college, then just walking in, and making A&M an elite football program thanks to his quarterback play, there is nothing to not like about him
9. Nick Foles : ARIZONA Much better player than this, had the size, nice touch, pure passer, doubt he drops this far, ranking 9th is what undrafted? No way.
10. Kellen Moore : BOISE STATE Another straight up baller, can play better than some of these quarterbacks and would be an awesome backup project quarterback anywhere

I rank guys based off of how I think they'll do at the next level, not necessarily in what order they'll be drafted

needled24_7
08-31-2011, 05:52 PM

i don't think sidney rice has been a huge disappointment.

CashmoneyDrew
08-31-2011, 10:01 PM
NFL scouts and GM's aren't fools

Plenty of them are.

yo123
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
plus I hate the argument, "players from this school or under this coach are ALWAYS this or that and they'll NEVER be anything in the NFL"

One thousand times this. It's ******* meaningless. A couple different recruiting decisions and it's completely different.

Giantsfan1080
09-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Aaron Rodgers was a Tedford QB and he sucks so it has to be true.

Saints-Tigers
09-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Alshon Jeffery reminds me a lot of Taylor Jacobs!!!!

Really, weakest argument ever. Stick to hockey or something, lol.

SF Dolphin Fan
09-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Great list. I may be too high on Landry Jones, but I think he's #2 behind Andrew Luck.

jbooshey
09-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Have you considered Montee Ball coming out early this year? I think he will be the best pro-prospect running back out of UW in many years.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Two weeks into the season is enough. I've held out too long, really.

Where is this guy? Is his account inactive yet?

Babylon
09-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Great list. I may be too high on Landry Jones, but I think he's #2 behind Andrew Luck.

Just dont see him in the same league as Matt Barkely but maybe he'll change my mind this week down in Tallahassee.

DiG
09-15-2011, 07:21 AM

i hope your right. i like his potential a ton but still a half a season away from moving that far up my list. his last 3 games to finish 2010 vs nebraska, texas, and lsu still left a good bit to be desired and performing well against southern methodist only goes so far in showing improvement.

lindley needs to get that completion percentage up before i consider him as high as you have him in your rankings. another qb with upside but 51% to start this year and never higher than 57% in his career.

SolidGold
09-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Texas A&M has a pretty difficult schedule this year, if Tannehill does well I think it might bump him into the first round. He looked great in week one vs SMU

princefielder28
09-16-2011, 12:40 PM
lindley needs to get that completion percentage up before i consider him as high as you have him in your rankings. another qb with upside but 51% to start this year and never higher than 57% in his career.

Lindley's early season performance has been concerning because, like you pointed out, he isn't completing a high percentage of his passes against lesser competition. To this point, I slide him below Geno Smith in my rankings and the battle for the fifth spot will be huge this weekend because Jones faces a tough Seminole defense, Harnish gets the Badgers, and Lindley can try to impress against Washington State (otherwise he's got Michigan next weekend too)...Tannehill's chance to prove himself will start next week and go through the start of November; I wanna see a full season from him to get a gauge of where he's at.

DiG
09-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Lindley's early season performance has been concerning because, like you pointed out, he isn't completing a high percentage of his passes against lesser competition. To this point, I slide him below Geno Smith in my rankings and the battle for the fifth spot will be huge this weekend because Jones faces a tough Seminole defense, Harnish gets the Badgers, and Lindley can try to impress against Washington State (otherwise he's got Michigan next weekend too)...Tannehill's chance to prove himself will start next week and go through the start of November; I wanna see a full season from him to get a gauge of where he's at.

another weekend for lindley with a pedestrian performance. typical 56% completion rate, 2 td 1 int game against an average washington state defense. i want to like lindley but hes not making it easy. tannehill had a decent showing against idaho. havent seen video yet from the game though. landry pulled it together against florida state in the second half but watching him play against top competition i am more skeptical than i was before. Cousins didnt look great against notre dame either. tough weekend for quarterbacks.