PDA

View Full Version : future HOF'er Randy Moss retires

superman8456
08-01-2011, 11:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6823929/randy-moss-retire-13-seasons-153-touchdowns

Sad to see, I thought he had a little more left in the tank.

Matthew Jones
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
One of the most incredible players I've ever seen. Gonna miss the excitement of watching him go deep. Sad that he retired 46 catches short of 1,000 and 142 yards short of 15,000. Still, I think the time was right for him to leave.

SolidGold
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Damn...that sucks :( I wish he never f'ed things up in New England last year. He was one of my fav players.

K Train
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
damn i heard he was working out like an animal to end his career on a high note, i wonder what happened

General Zod
08-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Lets just see how long he stays retired. I think he still has quite a bit to offer.

JRTPlaya21
08-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm a sad panda today. One of my favorite players ever :(

Razor
08-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Somebody messed up the title of the thread. It's supposed to say "Future First Ballot Hall of Famer Randy Moss Retires". Sad to see the most dominant receiver to ever play the game since the merger retire, but the time is right.

SolidGold
08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I wish he did not go out like he did last year. I think he had another 1000 yd season or two in him.

Sloopy
08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
He will get an offer and be back before the season starts and if not, definitely someone will acquire him by mid season

ElectricEye
08-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Most talented receiver of all time. Couldn't design one better if you tried. Great player and a great teammate for the large part of his tenure here.

....not sure this lasts though. If some team comes calling when someone goes down in camp, I think he might still play. Legit feel like he has something left in the tank based on what I saw at the start of last year before this all went down.

PoopSandwich
08-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Wait until a receiver goes down for a contender and they end up calling Randy Moss.

TheFinisher
08-01-2011, 01:06 PM
in honor

tmJcUlrkMNg

yo123
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
damn i heard he was working out like an animal to end his career on a high note, i wonder what happened

That's what his agent said. Of course he's going to say that.

And a sad, sad day. Best deep threat of all time and it's not close.

T-RICH49
08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
and caterers everywhere rejoice...j/k.one of the most feared if not THE most feared WR's I've ever seen

boknows34
08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
13 seasons
954 catches
14,858 yards
153 TD catches (154 in total)
7 Pro Bowls
4 1st-team All-Pros
10 1,000 yd seasons (2nd to Jerry Rice's 14)
9 seasons with double digit TD catches (tied with Jerry Rice).

Legend!!

3DGOSg_rEeE

BigBanger
08-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Easily the most talented WR to ever play, but last year showed that he really lost a couple steps, wasn't running any routes and lacked any explosiveness, whether that be by him jogging through his routes or simply losing a step. Balls skills and leaping ability also took a hit. He looked stiff running routes last year and trying to make plays on the ball. He looked finished.

He had just one game with over 60 yards receiving last year. That is not the Randy Moss we all knew and remember. He's 34 and he started playing like it. I think it's a good decision by him. I hate seeing great players fade away and keep trying to play despite being shadows of their former self... Jerry Rice comes to mind.

He's a top 3 WR to ever live. If he wanted it, he would have been the best.

boknows34
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Rice
Hutson
Moss

Clear Top 3 WRs ever imo.

Moss was the most naturally gifted of the lot.

Straight Cash Homey

07G23zMGa4g

prock
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Still my favorite player of all time. He was the reason I started following football in 98. As a kid, I wanted to grow up to be Randy Moss, and in backyard football, all I would run is fade routes and put my hand up because I was ALWAYS open.

CJSchneider
08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Somebody messed up the title of the thread. It's supposed to say "Future First Ballot Hall of Famer Randy Moss Retires". Sad to see the most dominant receiver to ever play the game since the merger retire, but the time is right.

http://hip-hop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/jerryrice.jpg

Jerry Rice says hello.

RufusMcDaniel
08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I'll never forget his time in Tennessee, those 6 catches were incredible.

boknows34
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Could have Moss and Favre in the same HOF Class of 2016, unless someone changes their mind and makes a comeback of course. ;)

EvilNixon
08-01-2011, 01:46 PM
The Greatest...so many fond child hood memories.

Complex
08-01-2011, 02:35 PM
The Jets should of signed him instead of Plaxico or the eagles.

The Alex
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I'll never forget his time in Tennessee, those 6 catches were incredible.

Exactly. He's a Titan for life. I hope he goes into the Hall with a Titans hat on his plaque.

No, wait a minute that that's the other Hall. Never mind.

ElectricEye
08-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Cris Carter is reporting(lol) that the Patriots offered Moss a one year deal(as well as other teams) and he declined because he wanted a multi-year deal.

Ness
08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
One of the greatest receivers to ever play the game. I think he could have had a much better career (perhaps one that rivaled Jerry Rice's) if he had a different attitude about some things. And if that was the case I doubt he would be retiring now at 34.

Jvig43
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Come on Moss, just take the damn one year deal in NE......

A Perfect Score
08-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Id still take in Baltimore without hesitation. Rumor was we were interested as well...Its a shame. I think he's got something left in the tank if he can find the motivation.

If this truly is it for him, we're very lucky to have seen him in his prime. Randy Moss changed the NFL during his heydey...Modern coverage schemes wouldn't be the same if they hadn't adapted to stop Randy Moss (and those who would follow in his footsteps).

AntoinCD
08-01-2011, 04:31 PM
One of the all time greats. Quite possibly the most talented football player I have ever seen and I think one of the biggest aspects of his game is often omitted when talking about him. Sure he was 6'4 with legitimate 4.2 speed early in his career, sure he was the greatest deep threat of all time and had the ability to make ridiculous catches regardless of who or how many were covering him. But Randy Moss was one of the smartest players around. I love how people put him down for jogging. Check out the Champ Bailey interview from a few years ago when he talks about Moss "jogging". This is a guy who knew when he was getting the ball. He would jog a few routes and the DB would think he was dogging it. Then he jogs a few yards then boom-top end speed in no time and it's all over.

He also, as BBD mentioned in another thread, ran choice routes perfectly. Who cares if all he ran were fades, skinny posts and curls. He knew how to set the DB up to have his choice of them.

I've read a few places were people don't think he should be a first ballot HOFer. That is quite frankly one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my life. This man revolutionised the game of football. Even the GOAT Jerry Rice didn't dictate the type of coverage Moss did. If he isn't a first ballot HOFer then the selection committee may as well just say "Hey you can get in if we think you're a nice guy"

descendency
08-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Randy Moss is at the very least, unequivocally the second greatest WR to ever play the game. It's a truly sad day when he retires for what a lot of people think isn't a lack of skill but a lack of motivation to use his skill to the best he can.

Randy Moss was the most uncoverable force in NFL history - when he wanted. He could make insane catches look routine and fail to make routine catches. When you were the opposing DC, you were afraid Moss was going to score any time the ball touched his hands. When you were his OC, you were afraid he was taking the day off.

It irks me that Rice did what you would want a player to do and Moss did things you wouldn't... and that at the same time, I still think Moss was the better player from rookie to 34.

It irks me more though that Randy Moss is arguably the closest thing we've seen to Rice and will only get in the HoF when some crackpot voters decide they've had enough of their 15 minutes of fame by voting against him. The man is a first ballot Hall of Famer, 0 brain cells required.

BloodBrother
08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I will smoke under a blue moon in honor of Mr. Moss. God bless

bigbluedefense
08-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I honestly don't think this saga is quite over. I think he eventually accepts whatever offer he had on the table.

But if he is retired, I must say, he was probably my favorite offensive player of all time. 2nd greatest WR ever, and a complete beast.

Halsey
08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't put Moss in my top 10 WRs of all time. He was obviously a dominant player at times, but there's a reason he bounced around among multiple teams and can't find a favorable deal anymore.

yo123
08-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't put Moss in my top 10 WRs of all time.

http://noplan.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/dave-silverman.jpg

Mr.Regular
08-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Woah wooooah slow down everyone. #2 WR ever? I dont think so
Jerry Rice and Don Hutson own the top 2 spots.
I agree, Moss is #3 though. He dictated coverage's like none other I've seen...and he still produced like a mad man. Freakish speed and athleticism, and when he was on, there was no stopping him. And this was with DCs specifically game-planning against him.

ElectricEye
08-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't put Moss in my top 10 WRs of all time. He was obviously a dominant player at times, but there's a reason he bounced around among multiple teams and can't find a favorable deal anymore.
http://s4.postimage.org/mgydj53yn/f27914npfh.gif

yo123
08-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Woah wooooah slow down everyone. #2 WR ever? I dont think so
Jerry Rice and Don Hutson own the top 2 spots.
I agree, Moss is #3 though. He dictated coverage's like none other I've seen...and he still produced like a mad man. Freakish speed and athleticism, and when he was on, there was no stopping him. And this was with DCs specifically game-planning against him.

You know that Don Hutson was better than Moss from all the games you saw him play I suppose.

Raiderz4Life
08-01-2011, 08:02 PM

Say what now???

DoughBoy
08-01-2011, 08:04 PM
It's Halsey guys. Y'all are acting like he never does anything like this.

Mr.Regular
08-01-2011, 08:06 PM
You know that Don Hutson was better than Moss from all the games you saw him play I suppose.
That can go both ways. How could someone argue Moss is #2 if they've never seen Hutson play?
From everything I've seen, read, and researched about football, Don Hutson was Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice existed. During a time where no one could throw the ball. He may have been the most dominant player of his era...in the least, he modernized the WR position to what we know it today.

I understand that if a player is before your time, it's hard to have a strong and valid opinion about him, but come on, that pretty much invalidates every all time list ever made doesn't it?

tjsunstein
08-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I hated when he mooned the Packer fans but god damn did I respect him.

Ness
08-01-2011, 08:08 PM

It's because of how he takes himself as a player. Not because he isn't talented.

Mr.Regular
08-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I feared him....a bit of a clown, but he was scary dominant. If him and Brett go in the HOF together, I'll be tipping my cap to Randy more so that Favre, thats for sure.

yo123
08-01-2011, 08:09 PM
That can go both ways. How could someone argue Moss is #2 if they've never seen Hutson play?
From everything I've seen, read, and researched about football, Don Hutson was Jerry Rice before Jerry Rice existed. During a time where no one could throw the ball. He may have been the most dominant player of his era...in the least, he modernized the WR position to what we know it today.

I understand that if a player is before your time, it's hard to have a strong and valid opinion about him, but come on, that pretty much invalidates every all time list ever made doesn't it?

I just don't really have opinions on players that were before my time, because it's impossible to be credible. It's just like you can't base your opinions solely on statistics with modern players, it's the same way with older players. It's especially impossible to be so black and white with it like you are. If you want to say that Hutson was right there with Moss then fine, but to act like it's not close when you didn't watch him play doesn't make sense to me.

Mr.Regular
08-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I just don't really have opinions on players that were before my time, because it's impossible to be credible. It's just like you can't base your opinions solely on statistics with modern players, it's the same way with older players. It's especially impossible to be so black and white with it like you are. If you want to say that Hutson was right there with Moss then fine, but to act like it's not close when you didn't watch him play doesn't make sense to me.
I agree its hard to have solid opinions on players you've never seen play live. Hutson, from everything I've seen/read/heard respected opinions from others etc, was the most dominant weapon of his time, and he revolutionized the passing game like none other.
But fair enough, I understand your point. Much easier sticking to your own era when making lists or what not.

Raiderz4Life
08-01-2011, 08:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvc_n81bSzU

Couldn't get it to show up so can only post the link lol

Ness
08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I honestly thought he was going to catch this.

YUGj5qQFnnc

yo123
08-01-2011, 08:17 PM
The only bad part about the moon was that Joe Buck was such a buzzkill about it.

ElectricEye
08-01-2011, 08:20 PM
The comparing players across eras thing is just a complete trap any way you try to slice it.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I honestly thought he was going to catch this.

YUGj5qQFnnc

When I saw him get past the defense, my heart sunk.

That's how sick Moss was. Everyone and their mom knew it was going to him those last 2 plays, and if Brady could have put 3 more yards on each pass, he would have caught both of them.

Insane.

Ness
08-01-2011, 08:31 PM
When I saw him get past the defense, my heart sunk.

That's how sick Moss was. Everyone and their mom knew it was going to him those last 2 plays, and if Brady could have put 3 more yards on each pass, he would have caught both of them.

Insane.

If Moss would have simply jumped he probably would have caught it. But can't really blame Moss. The pass was behind him a tad bit and he probably didn't think Webster would have made the stop. Not to mention it was coming in fast. Another yard in the air and Moss probably has that ball without jumping. Can't blame Brady for the underthrow though, he nearly threw the entire length of the field.

bigbluedefense
08-01-2011, 08:38 PM
If Moss would have simply jumped he probably would have caught it. But can't really blame Moss. The pass was behind him a tad bit and he probably didn't think Webster would have made the stop. Not to mention it was coming in fast. Another yard in the air and Moss probably has that ball without jumping. Can't blame Brady for the underthrow though, he nearly threw the entire length of the field.

He couldn't jump at full sprint like that. He would've threw the timing off.

The pass actually hit his hands. The problem was, if you go back and rewind it, Webster covers his sight right when the ball was about to come into his hands, so it was a blind catch, and Moss couldn't catch it blind with Webster covering his eyes and Wilson tackling him at the same time.

Tough tough catch to make. But if Brady could have put more air on it, he wouldn't have to slow down slightly at the last second to catch it. And he runs in for a touchdown.

But that's also asking a lot of Brady. The guy launched it a good 70 yards, it was a hell of a throw.

Raiderz4Life
08-01-2011, 08:45 PM
I swear my heart was pounding and my mouth was dry lol I'm not a fan of either one but I absolutely loved Randy Moss and wanted him to win one. Plus I wanted to witness the undefeated season and I couldn't/can't stand the Giants. My eyes got so wide and I was like all crouched up looking to see if Brady and Moss could make it happen.

Nalej
08-01-2011, 08:51 PM

http://bearingdrift.com/wp-content/uploads/tyrone-biggums-featured.jpg

I will never take anything you say seriously ever again.

Raiderz4Life
08-01-2011, 08:54 PM
http://bearingdrift.com/wp-content/uploads/tyrone-biggums-featured.jpg

I will never take anything you say seriously ever again.

lol I decided that a while ago...you're kinda late man lol

Jvig43
08-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Seriously Halsey always comes into the threads around here and says some stupid crap like that to get people pissed about it. The guy is nothing but a troll, or a really stupid, ignorant football fan, and either way I wont take his opinion seriously.

CC.SD
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Three pages on this thread is a disgrace! This is one of the elite players to ever play the game and one of the few players to ever walk around as a 100% lock for the hall his entire career basically. Maybe the all time talent in terms of what you're looking for in a wide receiver, in fact UNQUESTIONABLY the number 1 talent of all time at the WR position. Obviously still not displacing Jerry Rice on the all time list.

No doubt one of the greatest to ever play WR whether you want to look at numbers, gamechanging ability or what he did to opposing Ds, and even with all the crazy opinions out there if Randy Moss isn't in your top 5 (2?) wide receivers ever you are smoking craaaack. This is fact.

Looking forward to watching the career highlight reels, they will be insane just like Randy himself.

Raiderz4Life
08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
WOW....has anyone read this? lol

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6825249/randy-moss-worn-welcome-nfl-missed

hockey619
08-01-2011, 11:09 PM

just did. It kind of makes some good points, it will kind of suck when he gets into the hall on the first ballot when he quits so easily on the game, in my eyes itll be kind of sad to see him next to guys like barry sanders and rice who worked tirelessly to be great. He had all world talent but the demeanor or a hormonal pregnant lady. He does deserve to go in, but could be so much more deserving.

If its true that Brady said the to Belichick about Moss though, he definitely gets a ton of props in my book. Moss helped Brady to a great 07, but Brady wouldnt take his being lazy later on and was willing to give up his most talented weapon, probably hurting his own numbers, because it was in the best interest of the team.

Scratch that, if thats true that give him HUGE props in my book. Love guys with that unselfish team first attitude.

wordofi
08-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't think this is the end. He'll be starting for somebody by week 8 at the latest.

The Alex
08-02-2011, 02:24 AM

http://i38.tinypic.com/34zha94.jpg

Ness
08-02-2011, 02:27 AM

That is kind of the stance I'm taking with Moss. Phenomenal player yes. One of the best to ever play the game. But due to his questionable professionalism he's bounced around various teams and if not for that hurdle he'd probably be retiring at around 37 instead of 34...and probably having a long tenure on at least two teams.

descendency
08-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Why couldn't Brady say that before the loss to the Jets :(

(Where Randy arguably cost them the game... or at least Tom's continued throws to Randy)

Jvig43
08-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Haha I can't agree with that whole thing Im sorry, in fact I will miss watching Moss play haha and I believe alot of people will miss him from the NFL, despite being a headache at times. I doubt he stays retired however.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-02-2011, 07:46 AM
He couldn't jump at full sprint like that. He would've threw the timing off.

The pass actually hit his hands. The problem was, if you go back and rewind it, Webster covers his sight right when the ball was about to come into his hands, so it was a blind catch, and Moss couldn't catch it blind with Webster covering his eyes and Wilson tackling him at the same time.

Tough tough catch to make. But if Brady could have put more air on it, he wouldn't have to slow down slightly at the last second to catch it. And he runs in for a touchdown.

But that's also asking a lot of Brady. The guy launched it a good 70 yards, it was a hell of a throw.

We practically dropped the whole team back in coverage, and still he almost made the catch. I think G. Wilson was back there too. If he makes that catch they are in FG range, assuming he gets tackled of course. What that 3rd or 4th down?

I remember staring at the clock hoping it would go to 0, and I was staring at it so intently i forgot what down it was. The whole room was cheering because the 4th down play was incomplete, but i was like still annoyed the clock wasn't zero.

thenewfeature06
08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Favorite player ever... just the 0-60 type speed he had along with his jordan type lift and hop, it just couldn't be touched. 2 stats I saw yesterday that I never knew, he set the rookie record for receiving tds with 17.. and his statline against Dallas in 98', 3 receptions 160 some yards and 3 tds.. LAWL

New favorite player.. Nicks most likely though MOJO is my boy as well.

bigbluedefense
08-02-2011, 10:27 AM
We practically dropped the whole team back in coverage, and still he almost made the catch. I think G. Wilson was back there too. If he makes that catch they are in FG range, assuming he gets tackled of course. What that 3rd or 4th down?

I remember staring at the clock hoping it would go to 0, and I was staring at it so intently i forgot what down it was. The whole room was cheering because the 4th down play was incomplete, but i was like still annoyed the clock wasn't zero.

I remember after the Alford sack, everyone in the room thought the game was over.

But I was screaming at the top of my lungs, it's not over! They have Moss!

And then that 3rd down almost catch happened, and I think I lost 4 years off my life from it.

When I saw him get past the defense and the ball was in the air I said to myself "Please God, don't do this to me, don't let us lose like this"

Maaan, what a player. The greatest deep threat the game has ever seen. He was unbelievable. I know he quit, I know he was a diva, I know he didn't give the game everything he had, but he still was that good.

He reinvented the bomb pass.

Raiderz4Life
08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
I remember when there was talk bout him coming to the Raiders....i was sooooooo excited...randy ************* moss lol too bad the raiders sucked and had no one to throw him the ball....i think those raider years should be taken off his record or something lol

wordofi
08-02-2011, 01:05 PM
I remember when there was talk bout him coming to the Raiders....i was sooooooo excited...randy ************* moss lol too bad the raiders sucked and had no one to throw him the ball....i think those raider years should be taken off his record or something lol

He didn't even try during those two years.

Raiderz4Life
08-02-2011, 01:09 PM
He didn't even try during those two years.

Yes I know. Cuz we sucked the massive one. I don't really hold it against him as a Raider fan.

Hurricanes25
08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Moss may have been the most talented WR to play the game but I can't say he was the best.

With that being said, I don't think he'll stay retired.

FUNBUNCHER
08-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Moss will be back, maybe at the midpoint of the season, I dunno.

But this is what divas do, they emote when things don't go their way.
Supposedly in the best shape of his LIFE, and he retires because no one gave him a multi-year deal??
When Randy has to sit around his house for a couple weeks and realize earning a civilian living isn't a chump move and in some ways is harder than playing in the NFL, he'll be back.

He's 34, probably still a legit sub 4.40 WR and can put up a 75 catch, 1200 yard/12 TD season without trying.

Maybe someone will remind Moss he has a real chance to break Jerry Rice's TD record if he simply shows up for 5 more years.

I don't like Moss personally, but he is one of those players who when he's on is maybe one of the most frightening players to watch your team play against.

bigbluedefense
08-02-2011, 04:35 PM
He gave us the saying "He got Moss'd"

I love him for that reason alone.

And in Madden 10 I used to love just streaking him and going deep with Brady. It was money in the bank.