PDA

View Full Version : Favre Watch 2011

Complex
08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
day after the football-following world warmed up to the notion that the Texans may be the best team in the AFC, the Texans’ ability to compete with AFC teams not in the AFC South took a major hit.

And now, with starting quarterback Matt Schaub expected to miss the rest of the year, the job falls to Matt Leinart, a former Heisman winner who hung around campus one year too long, lost his job to Kurt Warner, and then blew his chance to succeed the Hall of Famer by displaying a lack of accuracy that nearly got Larry Fitzgerald killed in the preseason.

Instead, it got Leinart run out of Arizona.

So why in the world would the Texans entrust the starting quarterback job to Leinart, whose coach at USC has shown no interest in a reunion, as they move toward their first playoff berth in franchise history?

Yes, I believe the Texans should call Brett Favre. Though he has become a caricature, the analysis is simple: Would you rather have Favre or Leinart running your offense?

I don’t expect the Texans to call Favre, and I have no idea whether Favre would be interested. But for the past few years there’s been a vague sense that Favre would consider capping his career with a Roger Clemens-style partial season with a contending team that has a clear need.

Many will dismiss the possibility because we’re all sick of Brett Favre the man. But there’s no denying that Brett Favre the quarterback can still bring it. He has shown that he can get up to speed quickly, and if the Broncos can re-tool their offense quickly to suit the unique skills of Tim Tebow, the Texans surely can come up with a playbook that consists of healthy doses of Arian Foster and Ben Tate on the ground, periodic Brett bombs to Andre Johnson, and a smattering of short throws to Owen Daniels and either Foster or Tate.

Coupled with one of the best defenses in the league, and in light of the fact that Houston is a fairly short flight from Hattiesburg, it makes sense.

It makes a lot more sense than trusting Matt Leinart.

Sure, Leinart may dub me a “hater” and use this criticism as motivation, but if the guy wasn’t able to motivate himself when the starting job in Arizona had been handed to him, the kick in the butt that comes from a external slight won’t matter.

And if, as expected, the Texans don’t call Favre, he can blame only himself for allowing issues other than his arm strength and experience and competitiveness influence teams to now avoid him. This could have been his best chance to write the perfect final chapter for his career, walking off into the sunset with a second Lombardi after beating the Packers and Aaron Rodgers.

But the short-term marriage simply isn’t going to happen.

Even though, given the Texans’ alternatives, it should.

-Profootballtalk

K Train
08-04-2011, 01:36 PM
im 21 years old and he hasnt let me down yet...he'll be back!

its jsut a staple in my life at this point

yo123
08-04-2011, 01:45 PM
can't make it up. enjoy the circus Miami. he's your problem now.

V.I.P
08-04-2011, 01:48 PM
"I'm taking my talents to South Beach" - Brett Favre

Raiderz4Life
08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Plenty of chicks he can text his junk to in Miami

Da-Phins
08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Lol whatever. Favre isnt coming to Miami.

JBCX
08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
This would be so awesome.

The Dolphins will return to the Super Bowl again! Brett Favre handing off to Reggie Bush!

Wooo!

K Train
08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
"I'm taking my talents to South Beach" - Brett Favre

i would cry if he said that...pure unfiltered tears of joy

Matthew Jones
08-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I actually don't think Brett Favre will return this year. Surprisingly, I'm actually a little bit sad, gonna miss that guy.

PackerLegend
08-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Even when Favre is 80 years old I think we may still be having these threads. He really really should call it a career, but with him you just never know.

ImBrotherCain
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Is it just me or does Da-Phins Avy remind anyone of Staubach

Or was it another poster... damn i cant remember now.

CashmoneyDrew
08-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Is it just me or does Da-Phins Avy remind anyone of Staubach

Or was it another poster... damn i cant remember now.

He has an avy?

descendency
08-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Any chance Dan LeBatard calls him the "Giant Royale ***** II"?

Jenn Sterger might laugh at "giant"

SolidGold
08-05-2011, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=descendency;2643197]Any chance Dan LeBatard calls him the "Giant Royale ***** II"?

I hate Dan LeBatard

Complex
11-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Someone needs to make a Brett Favre sign.

vidae
11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Someone needs to make a Brett Favre sign.

I hate you a little bit for bumping this.

cvv84
11-14-2011, 10:26 PM
"I'm taking my rascal (http://deeluxegal.blogspot.com/2007/07/rascal-scooter.html) to South Beach" - Brett Favre

This is more like it

ShutDwn
11-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Someone put a hit out on Favre so this **** ends. Pleaseeee

FuzzyGopher
11-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Mike Florio is such a douche.

Sloopy
11-15-2011, 07:40 AM
A bit of rage swelled inside me when I saw that this got bumped.

At least it isn't actual news this time...

SuperPacker
11-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Favre ovbiously just pays people to make up stories about him so that hes always in the news! The guy has the biggest ego i've ever seen.

dannyz
11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Favre ovbiously just pays people to make up stories about him so that hes always in the news! The guy has the biggest ego i've ever seen.

He sent you a Text Message of his Ego? Gross.

J-Mike88
11-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Favre to Houston is gonna pick up steam over the next hours......a lot of steam.

http://www.rantsports.com/houston-texans/files/2011/11/favre.jpg

Sloopy
11-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Favre to Houston is gonna pick up steam over the next hours......a lot of steam.

You hush your mouth sir... I here if you bump his thread to many times in a year he will come out of retirement.

soybean
11-27-2011, 07:12 PM
J-Mike, why do all your posts or responses come coupled with a big random picture?

J-Mike88
11-28-2011, 10:10 AM
J-Mike, why do all your posts or responses come coupled with a big random picture?
A picture is worth a thousand words sir.
I can't type that fast, hence the picture.

Don't get too excited about the Texans bringing in future Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre. Hours after backup Texans quarterback Matt Leinart went down with a season-ending injury, Sports Illustrated's Peter King discussed the Favre-to-Houston issue during NBC's Football Night in America and slammed the idea from both angles. King said general manager Rick Smith said the Texans wouldn't be interested. Smith told King: "I don't want to bring the circus to town."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/morning-jolt/11/28/monday-jolt/index.html#ixzz1f16dofZ2

The Texans are currently the AFC #1 seed. This is a rare opportunity for them!
Such a shame they've lost Matt.
And now the other Matt. Amazing bad luck. Cheap shot on Leinart yesterday, and the one to Schaub was such a fluke.
Is there another Matt they could throw in at QB?

I bet Farve still throws a great deep ball.
But also a great Int ball in the playoffs.

bucfan12
11-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Anyone getting Favre right now , it'd be useless. I hate seeing this everywhere. Why would you bring in a washed up QB in the middle entering the last qtr of the season who doesn't know the playbook?

Just the rumor itself is annoying.

BloodBrother
12-05-2011, 12:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7319269/source-brett-favre-listen-chicago-bears-called

oh yes...it is back on.

jimmylishis
12-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I like how he'll only play for NFC North teams lol

Sloopy
12-05-2011, 12:56 PM
... I would break this computer if it wasn't my work one

Grizzlegom
12-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Brett Favre is trending worldwide on the Twitterverse. haha

BloodBrother
12-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Dude is going to try for another record

only player to play for all 32 NFL teams. He's halfway through the NFC North...slowly but surely

jrdrylie
12-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't be able to cheer for Bears if Favre was their QB. I'd have to make Jacksonville my number one team until he retired/died. But that is not going to happen.

Jvig43
12-05-2011, 02:19 PM
If Farve comes back to play for the Bears, and beats the Packers in the playoffs I think I'd be ok with him coming back just so I could see the riots that would take place after wards.

PoopSandwich
12-05-2011, 02:27 PM
He should be going for Houston.

prock
12-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I would cry if he comes back. **** him for even speaking about something like this. That being said, if he beat the Packers, I would laugh so god damn hard. He would literally have destroyed his legacy completely, not a single fan would like him.