PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Taylor Mays to switch positions??

FUNBUNCHER
08-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Read that the Niners were looking to trade Mays, assumes that means Harbaugh thinks SF has enough depth safety and Mays still lacks the quickness and awareness in the passing game to be a deep safety.

Not my opinion but....!

I said it prior to the draft that if Mays gained 15# and switched to OLB he'd be a perennial pro bowler.

Mays might lack the skillset to be an effective NFL safety, but I don't believe for a second he lacks the coverage skills to handle running backs and TEs.

hockey619
08-05-2011, 07:12 AM
i say at least give him a shot to play LB.

i remember usc saying they had to watch his eating and lifting habits because they were afraid he'd explode. he was always lifting and they were afraid hed outgrow being a safety.

so i say let him explode into a LB, hes proven he just doesnt have the instincts at safety, see if you can make him one fast mofo of a linebacker.

FUNBUNCHER
08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Yeah, that's where I'm at with Mays.

His coverage skills are good for an OLB. If Woodley and Ware can cover in the flat, Taylor can do that blindfolded.

Giants need a WLB for their 4-3, I wonder if they give him some interest???

Unbiased
08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
I think you're making him sound more relevant than I think he really is. He's not good enough to just switch positions and have a lot of success.

K Train
08-05-2011, 08:26 AM
i think he would be a GREAT weakside backer for a team like the giants or lions

Damix
08-05-2011, 08:27 AM

His coverage skills are good for an OLB. If Woodley and Ware can cover in the flat, Taylor can do that blindfolded.

We have Boley...

AntoinCD
08-05-2011, 08:33 AM
I said this before he was drafted and I'll say it again. Taylor Mays should not move to LB because he cant tackle. He throws his body at WRs and TEs instead of wrapping up properly. He would be a very agile LB but still can't tackle, and who knows if he can take on blockers in the run game

FUNBUNCHER
08-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Four year starter at USC and 'can't' tackle??

I don't believe that and nothing he's done as a 49er supports that point of view.
Sure he had a habit of launching himself into ballcarriers in college instead of wrapping up, but that's a technique issue and not one of ability.

BTW, Michael Boley is IMO a marginal starter for the Giants. He's not a pro bowler, not a difference maker. He's a guy who executes his assignments and that's about it.

Mays upside at OLB is nearly unlimited.
Can't say that about many guys in the NFL.

EricCartmann
08-05-2011, 09:17 AM
yes, he should move to the Designated Hitter (where guys go when they can't run or play in the field anymore).

He's another one of those "freaks" that either under perform or just can't play football. Kinda like Megatron but only 1000 times that.

Nalej
08-05-2011, 09:24 AM
He's another one of those "freaks" that either under perform or just can't play football. Kinda like Megatron but only 1000 times that.

http://cdn2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/374/011/11/coozie_stop_talking_(314_x_349).jpg

K Train
08-05-2011, 09:24 AM
calvin johnson cant play football?....bite your tongue

DeepThreat
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
calvin johnson cant play football?....bite your tongue

Dude, he's only had 3,400 yards and 29 TD's the past 3 years. Obviously, he sucks.

Forenci
08-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Four year starter at USC and 'can't' tackle??

I don't believe that and nothing he's done as a 49er supports that point of view.
Sure he had a habit of launching himself into ballcarriers in college instead of wrapping up, but that's a technique issue and not one of ability.

BTW, Michael Boley is IMO a marginal starter for the Giants. He's not a pro bowler, not a difference maker. He's a guy who executes his assignments and that's about it.

Uhhhhh, not sure if serious?

Boley was playing great for the majority of the season.

He did tail off toward the end, but overall he was quite good. He's our best coverage LB and probably our best linebacker by far.

Rosebud
08-05-2011, 10:57 AM

A) Giants need a SLB, Boley was great at the WILL until our lack of DT depth lead to the entire front 7 getting worn down by the second half of the season.
B) If a lack of instincts is killing him at safety why would that improve at LB where you have to react even faster, can see less of the field and where he has no experience. IMO LB is one position where you just can't hide a guy who lacks instincts.
C) Now that I think about it he could be used kinda like the giants did with grant last year, as a S/LB hybrid who played safety but was pushed up, way up, the field and started plays almost in a LB position. But that's a situational job and one that not ever co-ordinator utilizes, so it wouldn't really solve his issues, just turn him into a useful player.

Rosebud
08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Uhhhhh, not sure if serious?

Boley was playing great for the majority of the season.

He did tail off toward the end, but overall he was quite good. He's our best coverage LB and probably our best linebacker by far.

Boley's definitely our best LB, he's really smooth out there in coverage, can cover a lot of ground for LB, is strong against the run when we can keep him cleanish and was a beast pass rusher...how many QBs did he knock out last year? Hell Boley's the best LB the giants have had since I started following the team in 2001. He's better than Armstead was at that point in his career and he's so much more versatile than AP was before he got fat.

He did wear out last year, but to me that's all a function of our issues along the lines, our poor OL lead to us struggling to eat the clock on O to keep our D fresh and our lack of quality DT depth meant the entire front 7 had to do more work. Personally Boley's probably the one player in our front 7 I don't worry about at all, Tuck has injury issues, Kiwi to, JPP's still raw as hell, Osi's being a whiny *****, Linval's unproven, Austin's unproven, Canty wore out as well last year while also having some injury issues, Goff's lack of elite athleticism limits his abilities in coverage and Sintim still has a lot to prove.

Saints-Tigers
08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Mays already balked at the idea of switching. I dunno how a safety that made 0 plays at the line in college, is going to be an impact LB in the big leagues. At most, he can be a fast pilejumper.

Splat
08-05-2011, 11:06 AM

I laughed.

Saints-Tigers
08-05-2011, 11:09 AM
The Niners are actively and aggressively shopping Taylor Mays. Sounds like they sent out a league-wide email basically begging someone to make an offer. Nobody wants him, not even for a 6th round pick. I talked to a Niners insider and he told me they asked him to move to LB but he balked. He is up to 244 pounds and still completely clueless in coverage. If they don't get a taker, expect to see him cut. 2nd round pick a year ago and he could be done already. Told you so!

From a scout.

But yea, how is he going to be better at LB? The dude can't shed blocks or weed through traffic, or make plays up at the line from his safety spot, but adding 15 pounds is going to give him LB instincts, and the ability to come up and make plays in traffic, that he's never displayed before, lmao.

niel89
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
This just shows that being a good player doesn't mean just having good tools. This isn't madden where you can move positions and it instantly works. There are a lot more subtle things that need to happen to be a good defender and Mays just doesn't have it.

YAYareaRB
08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
whats funny is that its been said Singletary and Baalke were arguing in the 2nd round prior to the pick.

Forenci
08-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Boley's definitely our best LB, he's really smooth out there in coverage, can cover a lot of ground for LB, is strong against the run when we can keep him cleanish and was a beast pass rusher...how many QBs did he knock out last year? Hell Boley's the best LB the giants have had since I started following the team in 2001. He's better than Armstead was at that point in his career and he's so much more versatile than AP was before he got fat.

He did wear out last year, but to me that's all a function of our issues along the lines, our poor OL lead to us struggling to eat the clock on O to keep our D fresh and our lack of quality DT depth meant the entire front 7 had to do more work. Personally Boley's probably the one player in our front 7 I don't worry about at all, Tuck has injury issues, Kiwi to, JPP's still raw as hell, Osi's being a whiny *****, Linval's unproven, Austin's unproven, Canty wore out as well last year while also having some injury issues, Goff's lack of elite athleticism limits his abilities in coverage and Sintim still has a lot to prove.

Hahaha, yeah. Didn't Boley knock one QB out, the back up came in, and then knock him out? I forget who that was against.

49ersfan_87
08-05-2011, 12:47 PM
From a scout.

But yea, how is he going to be better at LB? The dude can't shed blocks or weed through traffic, or make plays up at the line from his safety spot, but adding 15 pounds is going to give him LB instincts, and the ability to come up and make plays in traffic, that he's never displayed before, lmao.

Do you have a link?

phlysac
08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Do you have a link?

It's a forum discussion...

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=993058&start=420#p28706309

Saints-Tigers
08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Yea, I wasn't trying to link, I know sites get sensitive.

bucfan12
08-05-2011, 01:35 PM
He's a special teams player. Thats it. As a Bucs fan, he reminds me of a player we used to have that was a physical freak athlete as well, but lacked football instincts.

Ever hear of Sabby Piscatelli? Well that's who Taylor Mays is very similar to.

Monomach
08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
yes, he should move to the Designated Hitter (where guys go when they can't run or play in the field anymore).

U JELLY BRO?

http://oi52.tinypic.com/1zyx0xt.jpg

Saints-Tigers
08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
He seems like a guy that should have been molded into an offensive player early in his career.

He's just not reactive, he's smart and hard working, but he just can't snap and react to offensive players or schemes in time to make a significant impact.

I think his physical package would have been better utilized if he knows what he needs to do ahead of time.

FUNBUNCHER
08-05-2011, 02:34 PM
From a scout.

How often have you seen May required to shed blocks?? That's coaching and technique.
I have seen him close from the secondary past defenders to makes tackles close to the LOS, so I don't think dodging Olineman on the edge as an OLB will be a major issue.

I think it's in vogue to mercilessly bash Mays now since his game was so overrated in college. I personally was one of his biggest critics. But playing patrolling the edge of a defense as an OLB is world's easier than than anticipating and shadowing intermediate to deep routes of multiple WRs, or deciding which WR is the real primary on a play and how to adjust your coverage.

Not to oversimplify it, but OLB is about reading your keys once the ball is snapped, knowing your coverage responsibilities on passing downs, maintaining contain on your blitz rush and pursue like hell when the ballcarrier is running away from you. I don't need my OLB to be highly instinctive per se, off the edge.

There's a reason why you see more player conversions to OLB than say, Mike or ILB.
It's really difficult to play in the middle of a defense as a linebacker without an ability to read and anticipate in milliseconds which hole the RB is going to hit.

It's just strange IMO for some to argue that if Mays blows as a safety, there's no way he's going to make it playing a less demanding position mentally, OLB.
Or that somehow he lacks the physical tools to man the spot.

THe only question I'd have for Mays is whether or not he was 100% on board with making the switch.

Saints-Tigers
08-05-2011, 02:40 PM
I've seen Mays come up on run plays, or short passes and end up nowhere to be found, which is why USC put his ass so deep that he could put his athleticism to some sort of use.

FUNBUNCHER
08-05-2011, 02:45 PM
I've seen Mays come up on run plays, or short passes and end up nowhere to be found, which is why USC put his ass so deep that he could put his athleticism to some sort of use.

No excuse for that simply as a football player who takes pride in his game, but a lot of that I think has do to Mays either not breaking down as he closed, or trying to go for a big HIT instead of the tackle.

I'd just like to see what TP would look like after being coached for a year playing OLB.

phlysac
08-05-2011, 02:47 PM
THe only question I'd have for Mays is whether or not he was 100% on board with making the switch.

That's the unconfirmed report. He's gained weight (near 245) and refused to take reps at LB. 49ers then sent email.

FUNBUNCHER
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM
That's the unconfirmed report. He's gained weight (near 245) and refused to take reps at LB.49ers then sent email.

Damn.

I know it's strange to say, but I think Taylor Mays' natural playing weight as a football player is @245-250#.

Someone needs to get in that kid's ear and tell him playing OLB is how he's going to put food on the table.

OLBs still make the pro bowl, Taylor.

Stop being so picky and just play football.

If the Giants pick up Mays as a reclamation project, I will die.

Wonder what the 49ers want in exchange for Mays?? 3rd - 5th rounder???

D-Unit
08-05-2011, 03:23 PM
That's the unconfirmed report. He's gained weight (near 245) and refused to take reps at LB. 49ers then sent email.
245??? I want pics.

tjsunstein
08-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Why do people think it's so easy to switch positions at an NFL level? Just because he's physically built for it, doesn't mean it's a flawless transition. I don't think he switches positions, and I don't think he ever starts again for another team unless there's injuries. He's a better athlete than he is football player.

hawkeye123
08-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Taylor Mays is a good tackler. Terrible in coverage/space.

Stash
08-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Darnell Bing Jr.

YAYareaRB
08-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Darnell Bing Jr.

pretty much lol

RaiderNation
08-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I remember 49er fans from my town saying Mays was going to be sick and be the next Polamalu. I laughed

phlysac
08-05-2011, 04:57 PM
245??? I want pics.

Doesn't tell ya much but this is the most recent I could find. Taken last week.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/e5/fullj.3f8147eb9735453977b0a48437aeba4a/ap-201107291849677748754.jpg

phlysac
08-05-2011, 05:05 PM
I wish I could find the article but I'm 100% certain that I read somewhere that USC used to monitor his diet because they were concerned that he would continue to bulk up.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I would trade a 5th rounder for him. It has been said before but he could maybe have a Bob Sanders type role. He isn't terrible in the box is he?

hockey619
08-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I wish I could find the article but I'm 100% certain that I read somewhere that USC used to monitor his diet because they were concerned that he would continue to bulk up.

second post of the thread chief.

i say at least give him a shot to play LB.

i remember usc saying they had to watch his eating and lifting habits because they were afraid he'd explode. he was always lifting and they were afraid hed outgrow being a safety.

so i say let him explode into a LB, hes proven he just doesnt have the instincts at safety, see if you can make him one fast mofo of a linebacker.

idk what article it was either, mightve been on SC but i remember that too.

VernonLawson89
08-05-2011, 07:50 PM
@Lam49ers Just had two 2:30 drills from own 45: 1st tm offense vs. 2nd tm defense: 4th play pass to Vernon Davis in end zone broken up by Taylor Mays...

I say give the kid another shot...

BRAVEHEART
08-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Naw, trade him to detroit for a 7th...that seems fair.

BeerBaron
08-05-2011, 09:25 PM
You know what you'd have if you moved Mays to OLB? Ernie Sims 2.0. Fast, athletic....but overrunning plays and missing tackles and getting crushed by blockers.

phlysac
08-05-2011, 09:51 PM
It seems like a workable situation from both sides...

Q: Has it been difficult to concentrate through the (trade) stuff that's out there?

Mays: "No, I mean, it's cool. It is what it is. I can roll with the adversity. I'll play hard regardless. I play for my teammates regardless. I like to play football. Regardless of what happens, I'm a football player."

Q: Does it put a chip on your shoulder?

Mays: "I already have a chip on my shoulder. It's nothing personal. It's a business. It is what it is. I don't have any personal vendettas with anybody. I talked to Trent. We're on the same page. And there's no animosity. He wants the best for myself and the team."

Q: Are you concerned about injury?

Mays: "No, I'm not concerned. You can't play football and be concerned about injury. That's how you get injured."

Q: Do you think you're getting a chance with the new coaching staff?

Mays: "I think it's just a process. They're giving a lot of guys looks. It's a cumulative amount of reps as we go on."

Q: After talking to Trent, do you expect to be here this season?

Mays: "I mean, I don't know. Trent didn't say anything for sure, and he didn't say anything not for sure. We left it a somewhat open thing. We'll just see what happens. Whatever happens in the future, I'm here now, so I got to do what I can do now to help this team and be with my teammates and coaches. If something changes, it changes. But until then I can't worry about that."

Q: How did you find out?

Mays: "Trent pulled me aside, and he came up to me first, which I appreciated and respected. Like I said, there's no animosity."

Q: Do you try to go on like business as usual?

Mays: "No matter what happens, it's a chance for me to get better. Practice is practice. Footwork is footwork. And technique is technique. I like to be out here with these guys."

Q: Does a play like the one you made to finish practice put a little more spring in your step?

Mays: "Yeah, a little bit. But I wanted to do the full speed (live tackling) drill."
http://www.csnbayarea.com/08/05/11/img-srchttpcsnbayareacomcommonglobal_ima/l_49ers.html?blockID=546332&feedID=5936

XxXdragonXxX
08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Darnell Bing Jr.

Yep, I was saying that before the draft.

Remember when Mays got all mad that Pete Carroll passed on him in favor of Earl Thomas?

wordofi
08-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Taylor Mays could easily put on 15 lbs. and play linebacker.

Rabscuttle
08-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Decathlon would be the natural switch. At least the crowd will point him to where he's supposed to be and the lane markings should keep him from getting lost.

phlysac
08-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Taylor Mays could easily put on 15 lbs. and play linebacker.

Using the "and" in its intended fashion...

Taylor Mays could easily put on 15 lbs.
He reportedly already weighs 244.

Taylor Mays could easily play linebacker.
Not so easily, especially when he has refused to try (reportedly.)

wordofi
08-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Using the "and" in its intended fashion...

He reportedly already weighs 244.

Not so easily, especially when he has refused to try (reportedly.)

"Try" is the key word. That's what separates the great from the ordinary players in the NFL. They all have talent. It's just a matter of how hard they're willing to work.

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2011, 01:53 AM
I would trade a 5th rounder for him. It has been said before but he could maybe have a Bob Sanders type role. He isn't terrible in the box is he?

I think he's bad there. His usage there was pretty minimal, and the results were not good.

He just seems to play too tentative and thinks too much to be a good defender.

He shows flashes(though, not many to be honest), because when he correctly diagnoses a play, and makes a firm decision, the things he can do athletically are nice.

I just picture the play where he beat Terrell Pryor to the edge with ease, and threw him down like a rag doll.

And at the same time, I see Jacquizz Rodgers making him look like a fool, and him still being in his backpedal when a WR makes a hard break into his slant route, and Taylor is trailing.

USCs front 7 did so much to mask Mays' weaknesses, because he was almost never tested, so we didn't get to see him get burnt, but even when the ball went his way, we almost never saw impact plays.

Even his highlight film is very underwhelming, and most athletic freaks can put together a quality highlight film that will lead to htem being overrated.

I'd still probably take a late round flier. It's hard to believe that an amazing pure athlete that is fairly intelligent and a hard worker can't carve out some sort of niche.

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2011, 04:00 AM

You can't be serious with this? Boley is a marginal starter, but Taylor Mays has unlimited potential at a position he's never played before in his life? Jesus Christ. Why is it that some people are so caught up in his 40 yard dash, or his hype at USC, that people won't realize he's not a good football player what so ever.

Since when does a team try and trade a young athletic player this fast into his career? Especially from a team lacking in talent in general. Boley has locked down elite TE's in the passing game before with his coverage skills, you made him sound like some throwaway bum and yet your sitting here a paragraph later pumping Mays up like a potential LT and an upgrade over Boley for the Giants.

FUNBUNCHER
08-06-2011, 06:08 AM
This isn't a thread to bash Boley, but if he was an elite, franchise type defender I think the Falcons would have locked him up before he hit FA a couple of years ago.

I just think the game is too fast and too instinctive in the secondary for Taylor Mays to be more than an average starter at safety, but move him closer to the LOS and his skillset is better suited for success.

You don't think Mays can lock down TEs and RBs in coverage??
His limitations in mid to deep coverage are less so closer to the LOS.

People love to say Mays' athleticism is overrated, I say it is what it is; he's a 6'3, 240+# hybrid SS/OLB with legit low 4.3 speed, a 40 inch vert who loves to grind in the weight room.

If Mays ever indicated, which so far he hasn't, that he was willing to switch positions, league wide interest in him would skyrocket IMO.

Caddy
08-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Didn't the Falcons refrain from resigning him because of lingering criminal charges? Boley isn't a franchise player, but he is a very solid starter.

Rabscuttle
08-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure how a guy who takes false first steps more often then not is supposed to do better closer to the los. He will look like a speed bump when he has to take on fullbacks in the hole and it will be more of what we saw at USC, Mays playing too high and getting his ass drug down the field for gimmie Derek Smith yards.

bigbluedefense
08-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I admit, I was a Mays fan coming out.

But if the team is trying to trade him this quickly, plus he ballooned up to 245 lbs already, then I think it's safe to say he's not going to work out.

Disappointing, I thought he'd have potential. He was great as a deep FS in college.

A Perfect Score
08-06-2011, 10:41 AM
This isn't Madden. Position changes in the NFL are rarely successful. You're talking about re-learning the entire game at the professional level. Teams aren't going to want to sit around and wait for someone who is playing catch up, even if they are as athletic as Taylor Mays.

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2011, 12:25 PM
This isn't a thread to bash Boley, but if he was an elite, franchise type defender I think the Falcons would have locked him up before he hit FA a couple of years ago.

I just think the game is too fast and too instinctive in the secondary for Taylor Mays to be more than an average starter at safety, but move him closer to the LOS and his skillset is better suited for success.

People love to say Mays' athleticism is overrated, I say it is what it is; he's a 6'3, 240+# hybrid SS/OLB with legit low 4.3 speed, a 40 inch vert who loves to grind in the weight room.

If Mays ever indicated, which so far he hasn't, that he was willing to switch positions, league wide interest in him would skyrocket IMO.

Who every said Boley was a franchise, elite type of player? There are only so many of those guys, but I guess if your not that you suck huh? You tried to dismiss a player who has consistently covered elite receiving TE's in open space all over the field, and done it very well.

Yet your trashing him, and "assuming" Mays can probably cover RB's and TE's because he's really fast(you know that's the only reason too).

It's getting really old to have to hear how high he can jump, and how fast he can run, so that translates to him being able to be able to cover well. Should I tell you how big and fast Vernon Gholston is and tell you how he'd be such a monster int he 4-3?

Stop living off of College hype man, Taylor Mays cannot cover anyone. Your trying to put him in the same sentence as a guy who has played OLB all his life, and has done it very well in the NFL before. Holy **** this is a really stupid argument to be even trying to make.

All you keep saying is 40+ inch vertical, 4.2 speed. That's it. But yea your right, maybe the Giants will cut Boley and pick up Mays this season to start in his place. That makes perfect sense. Obviously, the only, and most important trait to play OLB in the NFL is speed and jumping ability. Obviously.

shylo3716
08-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Wouldn't he technically have to change his jersey #?

CashmoneyDrew
08-06-2011, 12:37 PM
The jersey number change would be a huge hurdle indeed.

shylo3716
08-06-2011, 12:40 PM
The jersey number change would be a huge hurdle indeed.

To be able to play both spots & still look decent on the field he would have to go with something in the 40s

Babylon
08-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Put me in the camp that thinks it's way too early to give up on Taylor Mays. The Niners can send him to Seattle if they dont want him.

D-Unit
08-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Put me in the camp that thinks it's way too early to give up on Taylor Mays. The Niners can send him to Seattle if they dont want him.
The Cowboys resigned Alan Ball. So yeah.. I would be thrilled with Mays if it meant the end to Ball.

Babylon
08-06-2011, 01:06 PM
The Cowboys resigned Alan Ball. So yeah.. I would be thrilled with Mays if it meant the end to Ball.

A lot of teams could use him. So Harbaugh i guess doesnt like an SC guy, shocking.

phlysac
08-06-2011, 01:21 PM
A lot of teams could use him. So Harbaugh i guess doesnt like an SC guy, shocking.

I don't know it's that. Supposedly teams had been inquiring about Mays. Once the 49ers filled their depth chart at safety (Mays is currently on the 3rd team, possibly drops further once Whitner practices), they sent the email out to gauge just how serious the inquiries actually were.

49ers Safety Depth Chart

S - Reggie Smith | Curtis Taylor | Chris Maragos | Colin Jones
S - Donte Whitner | C.J. Spillman | Madieu Williams | Taylor Mays

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2011, 01:25 PM

To play what position? He's not a better safety then Sensabaugh or Abram Elam. Do you know who the starters are for SF at Safety? Those are the guys he can't beat out. He wouldn't do anything but come here and be a high profile scrub. Alan Ball was re-signed as a CB, that's not relevant to Mays.

I think were trying to improve our secondary.

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2011, 01:26 PM
So Harbaugh i guess doesnt like an SC guy, shocking.

Yep, that's exactly it. Has nothing to do with his skills, only the College he went to.

Ness
08-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Right, that's why he drafted Ronald Johnson.

FUNBUNCHER
08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
When did Boley become God's gift??

Since when is it a herculean task for an average/subpar NFL safety to cover TEs and RBs??

I don't know the evaluation process that's going on in SF, if suddenly Mays became a worse football player in 12 months, or if ultimately there's a personality conflict in play here.

Taylor Mays has flashed more ability in one season that Gholston has his entire career. VG appears not to give an effort or care about the game of football. That's not Taylor Mays.

It's just odd to me that once Harbaugh arrives, his coaching staff rates Mays as a potential cut and a 3rd teamer.

Mays is spotty at safety and IMO he's still more impactful at the position than ALL the Skins safeties except Atogwe and Laron Landry.

The way it looks so far, it appears SF is about to cut Mays. either before the preseason starts or just before the regular season.

Maybe then we'll know, because the 49ers aren't playing a bunch of pro bowlers in front of him.

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2011, 03:01 PM
When did Boley become God's gift??

Who ever implied the slightest? If you could show me an example that would be different, but let's try not to exaggerate.

Since when is it a herculean task for an average/subpar NFL safety to cover TEs and RBs??

I'm not sure, but I know Mays struggles in doing so.

I don't know the evaluation process that's going on in SF, if suddenly Mays became a worse football player in 12 months, or if ultimately there's a personality conflict in play here.

Taylor Mays has flashed more ability in one season that Gholston has his entire career. VG appears not to give an effort or care about the game of football. That's not Taylor Mays.

It's just odd to me that once Harbaugh arrives, his coaching staff rates Mays as a potential cut and a 3rd teamer.

Mays is spotty at safety and IMO he's still more impactful at the position than ALL the Skins safeties except Atogwe and Laron Landry.

The way it looks so far, it appears SF is about to cut Mays. either before the preseason starts or just before the regular season.

Maybe then we'll know, because the 49ers aren't playing a bunch of pro bowlers in front of him.

Yea, those crazy Niners huh? Everyone knows Mays has the most potential ever for a Safety because he has a 40+ inch vertical, runs a 4.2, and hits like a mack truck. Only the Niners don't realize for some reason I guess, but everyone else is going head over heels for him.

When is the last time a team was so willingly trying to trade a guy going into year 2 when he was actually a good player? Teams don't just give those guys away, they would prefer to give him a shot there first on his rookie contract, unless they are obvious he's a bad football player and want to pass him onto the next team.

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2011, 03:37 PM
MAys is not "marginal" in coverage. The only thing he ever did well was play deep zone, even in the combine drills, when he was doing the "DB drills" his backpedal and ability to redirect were downright terrible.

He's too stiff in the hips to play man coverage, and plays too high to stack piles or make plays in traffic.

FUNBUNCHER
08-06-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure how a guy who takes false first steps more often then not is supposed to do better closer to the los. He will look like a speed bump when he has to take on fullbacks in the hole and it will be more of what we saw at USC, Mays playing too high and getting his ass drug down the field for gimmie Derek Smith yards.

How many 43 OLBs take on 'fullbacks in the hole'??

FUNBUNCHER
08-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Mays started the last 4 games of the season for the 49ers. Was he giving up like 3 TDs per contest?? I don't remember.

'Can't cover' and not being adept at it aren't the same thing.

Adrian Wilson isn't a great cover safety downfield, neither is Landry, neither is Huff. IMO Mays easily fits in with all these guys when it comes to coverage ability, from what I've seen.

But suddenly Mays has become even worse than he was last season, to the point that he's basically a dressed 'cut' for the 49ers.

I just wonder what it is Harbaugh's coaching staff expects from Mays that they're getting from the players in front of him, but can't seem to produce from Taylor???

phlysac
08-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I just wonder what it is Harbaugh's coaching staff expects from Mays that they're getting from the players in front of him, but can't seem to produce from Taylor???

I think you're looking at it too much from an antagonistic perspective. Mays, himself said that his relationship with Trent Baalke is good and that he thinks Baalke wants what's best for him.

Mays was on 3rd team a bunch of last season, as well. Michael Lewis quit the team, and Reggie Smith was a little banged up and that allowed room for Mays. Mays was a Singletary pick. Coach Sing loved him. He started him and NaVorro Bowman early and then rehashed that moved and blamed his "rookie defenders" for many of the teams struggles.

Baalke has an idea of what type of safety he's looking for and evidently Mays hasn't displayed that on a consistent basis. Mays had some suitors, so Baalke reached out to find how serious the inquiries were. No decision has been made. Mays still gets reps daily. It's not like they dismissed him from camp or came up with a faux injury (as many teams do when theyre getting rid of a player.)

I think alot of it has to do with lighting a fire. He's currently on 3rd team. But Baalke and Mays have both expressed that if he earns a spot on the 53 he earns a spot.

Rabscuttle
08-06-2011, 09:03 PM
How many 43 OLBs take on 'fullbacks in the hole'??

Ok, how about when some 260 pound tight end pancakes him and moves on to the safety because Mays will be nothing more than a speed bump?

phlysac
08-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I don't know that he'd just be a speed bump but his inability to "break down" and make a tackle became glaringly evident on Special Teams last season. Must've been close to a dozen times he shot downfield like a missle, only to fail to break down and simply dash directly past the return man. This inability has translated into problems in run support as well.

wordofi
08-06-2011, 11:07 PM

He'll change when the paycheck stops coming in.

phlysac
08-06-2011, 11:11 PM
He was behind Chris Maragos in reps today

XxXdragonXxX
08-07-2011, 12:06 AM

After he went off when Carroll passed on him...doubt that will happen.

cvv84
08-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Switched teams: traded to Bengals

phlysac
08-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Switched teams: traded to Bengals

Yep. I hope it works out for him. He wasn't going to make the 49ers 53. He was 7th on the safety depth chart during this weekends game and the team plans to keep 4 or 5.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/mays.jpg

Niners trade Taylor Mays to Cincinnati

The 49ers have traded safety Taylor Mays to the Bengals for an undisclosed draft pick, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported. Mays has been on the trading block for two and a half weeks when the 49ers reportedly contacted the 31 other teams notifying them that the second-round pick in 2010 was available.

It was not clear yet what the 49ers will get in return. Mays started six games for the 49ers as a rookie but was eventually replaced by Reggie Smith. Mays was a favorite of Mike Singletary's - indeed it was Singletary who advocated for Mays during the draft - but not of the front office or the current coaching staff.

Mays has been playing with the third-string defense this offseason, and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio today made it clear, when discussing safeties, that he was not in the 49ers' plans.

"We feel good with (Donte) Whitner, him (Reggie Smith), (Dashon) Goldson, (Madieu) Williams, and (C.J.) Spillman," Fangio said. 'We feel like we've got five safeties there that can play in the NFL. Some of them have great special teams value over the others, so if we have to keep four, that will be a hard decision. If we keep five, I think they will all be different pieces that we will use during the season."

To his credit, Mays did not complain about the 49ers treatment of him and has taken part in every practice since their interest in trading him became public. In Cincinnati, Mays will join 2010 teammates Manny Lawson and Nate Clements, whom the Bengals signed as free agents. The 49ers will visit Cincinnati Sept. 25.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/niners-trade-taylor-mays-to-cincinnati.html

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
I heard Marvin and Zimmer really liked him during draft and heard a rumor they were trying to trade up in 2nd to get him. I think Zimmer will be able to get the best out of him.

keylime_5
08-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Cincy was pissed that they couldn't throw away a pick for Pryor, so they threw one away for Mays instead.

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I give Mays a ton of credit for maintaining his composure. If that had been me, I would have been bitching to a reporter all day everyday about how I was being disrespected.

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Cincy was pissed that they couldn't throw away a pick for Pryor, so they threw one away for Mays instead.

He is better Backup then what we have. Rico Murray and Tom Nelson as our Backup safties. It is not like we have Great Starters either with Reggie Nelson and Chris Crocker.

phlysac
08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
He is better Backup then what we have. Rico Murray and Tom Nelson as our Backup safties. It is not like we have Great Starters either with Reggie Nelson and Chris Crocker.

What about Gibril Wilson and Robert Sands?

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 08:57 PM
What about Gibril Wilson and Robert Sands?

Wilson won't make the team. And Sands has looked pretty awful and is 3rd stringer right now.

phlysac
08-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Wilson won't make the team. And Sands has looked pretty awful and is 3rd stringer right now.

I'm really not bashing the guy and I hope he does great things for you guys but you can put May's name into both of your sentences a day ago.

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm really not bashing the guy and I hope he does great things for you guys but you can put May's name into both of your sentences a day ago.

We did not pay much for him and it is better then us bringing back Roy Williams old ass back.

CC.SD
08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
I cannot believe CJ Spillman was going to beat out Mays for a roster spot, he in absolutely horrible.

Brent
08-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I cannot believe CJ Spillman was going to beat out Mays for a roster spot, he in absolutely horrible.
that ought to tell you something about Mays.

hawkeye123
08-22-2011, 09:08 PM
CJ Spillman has been solid all camp and in preseason games.

He can actually tackle properly, unlike Mays.

phlysac
08-22-2011, 09:09 PM
and is stellar on special teams, unlike Mays, as well.

CC.SD
08-22-2011, 09:11 PM
that ought to tell you something about Mays.

Maybe, or the 9ers? Still on the table, I am always surprised to see teams give up on high picks so soon, it doesn't make sense to me at all. At the cost of your 4th safety spot, try and develop the guys the franchise made a draft investment in, is that so hard to ask? Are the 9ers making a playoff push, that the 4th or 5th safety spot is so key to their roster?

Cutting bait after 1 year during a coaching transition in the middle of a lockout, with a player everyone knew was going to change his game at the next level, yep makes perfect sense.

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 09:11 PM
If Zimmer can light a fire under Carlos Dunlap ass i think he can get something out Mays. Also having him near Rey Maualuga and Keith Rivers will only help him.

phlysac
08-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Maybe, or the 9ers? Still on the table, I am always surprised to see teams give up on high picks so soon, it doesn't make sense to me at all. At the cost of your 4th safety spot, try and develop the guys the franchise made a draft investment in, is that so hard to ask? Are the 9ers making a playoff push, that the 4th or 5th safety spot is so key to their roster?

Cutting bait after 1 year during a coaching transition in the middle of a lockout, with a player everyone knew was going to change his game at the next level, yep makes perfect sense.

What successful franchise doesn't keep their "Best 53"?

and Mays has been the #7 safety. He was given an opportunity. He ran with the #1's on the 2nd day of camp and has been falling down the depth chart since then.

hawkeye123
08-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Motivation isn't the problem with Mays. He has no coverage awareness, poor tackle form, gives up big plays, and just always looks stiff whenever he's on the field.

The Niners have six better safeties that all can contribute to the team more so then Mays.

regoob2
08-22-2011, 09:19 PM
We did not pay much for him and it is better then us bringing back Roy Williams old ass back.
What pick was it?

phlysac
08-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Motivation isn't the problem with Mays. He has no coverage awareness, poor tackle form, gives up big plays, and just always looks stiff whenever he's on the field.

The Niners have six better safeties that all can contribute to the team more so then Mays.

And sadly enough, if you consider ST's ability Maragos and Jones have been superior to Mays. One could argue that Mays has performed as the 9th best safety on the roster.

I had high hopes for the guy but something happened and he just doesn't show anything on the field right now. He did at times last season, but not anything at all thus far this year.

phlysac
08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
What pick was it?

currently "undisclosed"

keylime_5
08-22-2011, 09:21 PM
If Zimmer can light a fire under Carlos Dunlap ass i think he can get something out Mays. Also having him near Rey Maualuga and Keith Rivers will only help him.

Only problem is Dunlap never stunk in the pros to date like Mays has. He doesn't have the skillset of an NFL safety and that is the only position he has ever played at a high level. This sums it up well:

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 09:22 PM
What pick was it?

I don't know it was undisclosed. I would say a 4th or lower.

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 09:24 PM

The samething was said about Reggie Nelson when we got him but he has looked a lot better in Zimmers Defense then he did in Jacksonville.

regoob2
08-22-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't know it was undisclosed. I would say a 4th or lower.
How do you know you didnt pay to much?

phlysac
08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
The samething was said about Reggie Nelson when we got him but he has looked a lot better in Zimmers Defense then he did in Jacksonville.

and you very well could reap the reward in this case.

I knew Mays was doomed and it doesn't look good for Mays when his DC said this today...

We feel like we've got five safeties there that can play in the NFL. Some of them have great special-teams value over the others. So if we have to keep four, that will be a hard decision. If we keep five, I think they will all be different pieces that we will use during the season.

He's (Reggie Smith) definitely in the mix there for us at the safety position. We feel good with (Donte) Whitner, him, Goldson, (Madieu) Williams, and (C.J.) Spillman.

And Curtis Taylor played before Mays this week, as well.

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 09:34 PM
How do you know you didnt pay to much?

Because Mike Brown does not give up High Draft picks anyway. The last couple trades having draft picks:

7th for Ryan Fitzpatrick
6th for Reggie Nelson

DoughBoy
08-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Taylor Mays doesn't have a single tool that translates to the NFL other than size and straight line speed. I have never been so confident about a prospect sucking than I have been with him.

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Taylor Mays doesn't have a single tool that translates to the NFL other than size and straight line speed. I have never been so confident about a prospect sucking than I have been with him.

Like i have said we have nothing at the safety postion and we gave up a low draft pick for him. If he does not work out then we gave nothing for him atleast we did not give up a 2nd round pick for him.

I was not a big fan of him either but i would rather have him at safety then Rico Murray or Tom Nelson

phlysac
08-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Like i have said we have nothing at the safety postion and we gave up a low draft pick for him. If he does not work out then we gave nothing for him atleast we did not give up a 2nd round pick for him.

I was not a big fan of him either but i would rather have him at safety then Rico Murray or Tom Nelson

I'm hearing a 4th but there's no way to substantiate it at all.

Pat Sims 90
08-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm hearing a 4th but there's no way to substantiate it at all.

Yea that is what i have been hearing.

I heard the Bears offerend the same number pick but 49ers did not want to deal with Bears because the whole Bears-Ravens trade debacle.

Rabscuttle
08-22-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm surprised we got a pick for him. I guess Brown didn't have much confidence trying to sign Mays in the event any other team wanted him. With Clements and Mays out there good luck getting off the field on third down.

phlysac
08-22-2011, 09:50 PM

I heard the Bears offerend the same number pick but 49ers did not want to deal with Bears because the whole Bears-Ravens trade debacle.

and the Lance Briggs "tampering" situation.

phlysac
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
I guess Brown didn't have much confidence trying to sign Mays in the event any other team wanted him.

I'm hearing that the Dolphins and Cowboys were in the mix, as well. Perhaps he didn't think he could win a FA war with them.

regoob2
08-22-2011, 10:12 PM

Either that or the Bengals will pick between 10-25 picks earlier.

FUNBUNCHER
08-23-2011, 05:45 AM
I don't for a minute believe the crap-tastic 49ers have SIX safeties better than Mays.
Sure he has limitations, and I do agree unfortunately that Mays biggest weakness, which is a fatal flaw for a safety, is his lack of coverage awareness.

However I still think there's a role on a defense for someone like Mays. Personally I would keep him closer to the LOS and severely limit his coverage responsibilities, similar to what the Skins do with Laron Landry, and let Mays headhunt.

If a team is expecting Mays to cover slot WRs consistently, IMO that's a bad matchup. But on the flip side Mays is the kind of player who needs tons of reps at safety if he's ever expected to improve.

I still think there's more to this move by 49ers than pure lack of ability. I mean how many chances has that organization given Alex Smith?

FWIW, Rod Woodson thought Mays could play safety in the NFL, but that Mays needed extensive coaching to shore up the holes in his game.

IF a team doesn't want you, what better gift is there than to be traded??

A Perfect Score
08-23-2011, 07:49 AM
I don't for a minute believe the crap-tastic 49ers have SIX safeties better than Mays.
Sure he has limitations, and I do agree unfortunately that Mays biggest weakness, which is a fatal flaw for a safety, is his lack of coverage awareness.

However I still think there's a role on a defense for someone like Mays. Personally I would keep him closer to the LOS and severely limit his coverage responsibilities, similar to what the Skins do with Laron Landry, and let Mays headhunt.

If a team is expecting Mays to cover slot WRs consistently, IMO that's a bad matchup. But on the flip side Mays is the kind of player who needs tons of reps at safety if he's ever expected to improve.

I still think there's more to this move by 49ers than pure lack of ability. I mean how many chances has that organization given Alex Smith?

FWIW, Rod Woodson thought Mays could play safety in the NFL, but that Mays needed extensive coaching to shore up the holes in his game.

This only applies if you aren't being traded to the Bengals.

phlysac
08-23-2011, 09:51 AM
You would think that based on reputation. However...

He was the 3rd or 4th best safety last year, and needed to improve. He came in 15 pounds heavier and looks to have regressed. Everything I've seen or read this offseason shows that he is performing as the 6th or 7th best safety on the roster. The 8th and 9th safeties have performed better on Special Teams.

Completely agree and I hope it works out for all involved.

VAfy-ya
08-23-2011, 10:30 AM

You sure seemed to know alot about our "crap-tastic" organization....but really you dont. There is no conspiracy theory to undermine Taylor May's pro career. Harbaugh doesn't call the shots personel wise. Baalke runs the show and if he's willing to trade away his own 2nd round pick, that should tell you something. Fangio runs the D and that guy has been around the NFL block a few times. And our DB coach is Ed Donatell, considered one of the better DB coaches around has coached his fair share of Pro Bowl safties in his travels around the league. So if both those guys and Baalke say we have 6 safties better than Taylor Mays, you'd be wise to pay attention. Simpleletary wanted him. Baalke(reluctantly) gave him the player he wanted. Simpletary is gone and so is Mays lone cheerleader in the organization. It is what it is. Donatell said during the lockout that he expected Mays to take a huge leap foward as a second year player. But once the coaches actually got their hands on the players and could guage for themselves the talent each player possess, he goes from 1st string to scout team.

Mays is not in the same realm as Adrian Wilson as a football player. Athlete? Yes? Football player? Not even. Mays can't do what he does because you can't teach instincts and spacial awareness in short zone. You cant teach his instincts in run support. You can't teach a guy the physicailty it requires to shed blocks. You can teach technique how to defeat a block. But you can't teach a guy to play physical enough to defeat one. That's one thing you and alot of others aren't getting. Despite his physical statue and hit-stick affinity, he's game is very finesse at this point. He's not a sound tackler. He cant get off blocks. Playing deep centerfield and throwing your body into anything that moves in front of you in college has somehow transformed him into this ferocious, physical demon at the NFL according to you. But his play is far from that. As for being a physical, aggressive safety, he can't even compare to Goldson.....our back-up FS. Could we have schemed to use Mays in some sub-packages and made use of some of his physical gifts? Sure we could have. But why when we have players ahead of him on the depth chart that doesn't limit what we can do scheme-wise and who bring more to the table on the field at this point?

BigBanger
08-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Well, that's exactly why they let him go. Coaching change, which is San Francisco's biggest issue: continuity. The 49ers keep changing coordinators, keep changing coaches and every year they draft scheme specific personnel. The next year, that player doesn't fit into the new scheme, and he becomes almost worthless. But that's almost besides the point with Mays. Mays has always underachieved. He was a workout warrior that went to USC. There was no reason to even know his name based on his college career. He sucked. Always has. He's never been a good player and has never shown signs that he could be a good player.

The 49ers made a terrible pick with Mays (a guy who has been overrated because of measurables). It was a waste of a second round draft pick. Everything you want in a safety, well, Taylor Mays doesn't have. A new coach comes in and sees a player who flat out sucks ... why keep him? What is the point? Because he was a second round pick? If that's the only reason he's on your team (how high someone else drafted him), then you've really got to start evaluating how long you're planning on keeping that job.

Keeping Taylor Mays to develop him? Thats pointless because he has no potential. Here's what I said about him just prior to the draft, and I think I was fairly accurate (not that he can't surprise me and change his career around):

Taylor Mays, SS, USC, Sr.
Mays is a very average safety prospect that went to USC and ran a ridiculous 40 yard dash. He'll probably go in the first round, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him slip and fall into the second. Mays is an in-the-box safety. He is a very poor tackler and he has very poor range as a free safety, as well as no ball skills. Mays has no instincts for the position and I see him as nothing more than a hard hitting safety that can't cover. He wont be much of an NFL player and depending on how high he goes, I think he could and will be a bust. Most players that have game tape like Mays wind up being 4th or 5th round draft picks.

FUNBUNCHER
08-23-2011, 12:21 PM
The only justification I can see for letting Mays go is that in practice, he does more things WRONG than RIGHT.

Most football players at this level grade out I would estimate at 75% or better in executing the responsibilities for their respective position.

My point is, if you see potential in a player you make more of an effort to develop them.

Proper hitting and tackling technique can be coached, playing in space to a degree is about coaching, not pure instincts. Ryan Kerrigan for instance is learning in D.C. how to drop into coverage and get his arms up in passing lanes, and he's played in a three point stance his entire football career.

The work ethic is there, the aggression is there. Any DC worth his weight should be able to drill Mays on what he needs to do to improve his tackling.

Mays is never going to be Ed Reed in coverage, but I still think he can be schemed through study and team reps to generally be where he's supposed to on passing downs.

Agree totally that Mays is a better athlete than football player, but I don't believe those two points have to necessarily be polar opposites for Mays' entire pro career.

LonghornsLegend
08-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Funbuncher you really need to let it go dude. We get it. You were a huge Taylor Mays fan his entire college career, but until you can find another situation for me where a team has EVER given up on a player this soon in his career, and has ended up a good player, your just talking to try and make yourself believe he's still good.

There is absolutely no reason that a team devoid of good young players like the Niners, basically give one away other then the fact that some other team is dumb enough to fall in love with his measurables and give them something before he was cut.

You can talk about how him being an athlete until your blue in the face, but he sucks as a football player. Jesus Christ enough of the excuses already. He was a terrible football player coming out, nothing has changed since then. It's getting really old to see you jerk him off for doing nothing, and assuming there is some conspiracy theory that nobody wants a really good football player with so much potential ahead of him.

Saints-Tigers
08-23-2011, 06:31 PM
I could even see if he was productive in college like Vernon Gholston, or excelled at another sport like Usain Bolt(RANDY MOSSSZZZZ)

But he doesn't even have a good youtube highlight video, and everyone has a good youtube video!!!

VAfy-ya
08-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Funbuncher you really need to let it go dude. We get it. You were a huge Taylor Mays fan his entire college career, but until you can find another situation for me where a team has EVER given up on a player this soon in his career, and has ended up a good player, your just talking to try and make yourself believe he's still good.

There is absolutely no reason that a team devoid of good young players like the Niners, basically give one away other then the fact that some other team is dumb enough to fall in love with his measurables and give them something before he was cut.

You can talk about how him being an athlete until your blue in the face, but he sucks as a football player. Jesus Christ enough of the excuses already. He was a terrible football player coming out, nothing has changed since then. It's getting really old to see you jerk him off for doing nothing, and assuming there is some conspiracy theory that nobody wants a really good football player with so much potential ahead of him.

Thank You! You want to know why Taylor Mays isn't a 49er anymore? Here's a nice quick little summary for you....

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/08/why-taylor-mays-is-no-longer-a-49er.html

phlysac
08-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Haven't seen a current 49ers player tweet about the trade. Well wishes or anything. Strange.

McBain
08-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Hope Taylor Mays tears it up with the Bengals. So many vehemently confident haters in this thread.

Rabscuttle
08-23-2011, 07:19 PM
"It gives us a young player who is starting out in his career and has demonstrated good skills at USC and a real mental aptitude to play defense in the NFL" - Marvin Lewis from the Cincinnati Enquirer

I guess Marv has the same missing film that FB and Sing have access to that show skills nobody else has seen.