PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Peterson vs Eric Berry

J-Mike88
08-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Who's career will be better?
Simple. Discuss.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Patrick+Peterson+Arizona+Cardinals+Training+bSs30B Qeoa5l.jpg vs http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Eric+Berry+Wild+Card+Playoffs+Baltimore+Ravens+dLt dqXpuXBQl.jpg

Both guys had tons of hype/love here, and were graded extremely high, can't miss prospects. But most even that high don't pan out to become perennial Pro-Bowlers.

Both of these guys might, but odds are both won't reach their expectations.
Who will end up the best? Curious to see who has more love here.

V.I.P
08-05-2011, 10:05 PM
... But Peterson hasn't ... you know ... played an NFL down yet? ...

Caddy
08-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I love me some Eric Berry.

Ness
08-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Way too early to tell. Haven't even seen Patrick Peterson play yet!

Splat
08-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Eric F'N Berry!!!

vidae
08-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Easy, EB29. PP7 can't hold his jock!

*tease fenikz*

But seriously, PP hasn't played an NFL down yet and I think he will be very good.

Shane P. Hallam
08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Safety a TAD easier to succeed in. I'll take Berry.

bored of education
08-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Is this really a thread? lets try 4-5 years from now. I love Berry and HE WILL BE THE BEST SAFETY IN THE LEAGUE IN 2 years but I haven't seen PP play an NFL down. I love Peterson and I think he will be a stud. Too early

hockey619
08-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Im gunna go against the grain here.

I think its easily Berry, because i dont think PP will be all that great of a cover corner in the pros. Hes Deangelo Hall 2.0 to me, very very athletic but raw technique. maybe he works hard enough to master the details and become a monster, but berry is already on pace for being a great player, so easy choice between the two.

etk
08-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Eric Berry was much more dominant in college, is a more complete player with less question marks, and had about as good a rookie season as you can have at S. Peterson is a freak but he could easily be Antonio Cromartie with less playmaking ability and a bit more stiffness. Berry is on pace to be a perennial All-Pro, and only injuries can hold him back imo.

fenikz
08-05-2011, 11:16 PM
PP was better in the SEC it's only fair to assume he will be better in the NFL :D

Caddy
08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
This is a dumb question. It's like asking who is the better QB out of Josh Freeman and Matt Cassel - the answer clearly being Freeman.

CashmoneyDrew
08-05-2011, 11:23 PM
It's gotta be PP because Taylor Mays was a better pro prospect than EB. Remember?

Just kidding.
Eric Berry in a landslide for muah.

etk
08-05-2011, 11:24 PM
This is a dumb question. It's like asking who is the better QB out of Josh Freeman and Matt Cassel - the answer clearly being Freeman.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Caddy again.

vidae
08-05-2011, 11:43 PM

No it's more like asking who is the steal of the 2011 draft, and it's clearly Bowers.. before a down of football is played.

Caddy
08-05-2011, 11:51 PM
No it's more like asking who is the steal of the 2011 draft, and it's clearly Bowers.. before a down of football is played.

I'm glad you understand vid.

vidae
08-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm glad you understand vid.

No, I'm glad that YOU understand! I'm glad YOU understand!

Saints-Tigers
08-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Eric Berry by a fair margin for me.

Peterson= Elite athletic package, great instincts

Berry= Great athletic package, AMAZING instincts

Pretty much, if you aren't Deion Sanders, I want the amazing safety.

Caddy
08-06-2011, 12:42 AM
No, I'm glad that YOU understand! I'm glad YOU understand!
Stop raging vid!

TitanHope
08-06-2011, 01:26 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vqsyV3WOoe8/SZ4f9PezcGI/AAAAAAAAAK0/LnaRltjNG00/s320/260px-Prince_eric_the_little_mermaid.jpg
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/JPEG'S/Plant%20Web%20Images/CutBlackberry.2.jpg

The Alex
08-06-2011, 02:00 AM
Is this really a thread? lets try 4-5 years from now. I love Berry and HE WILL BE THE BEST SAFETY IN THE LEAGUE IN 2 years but I haven't seen PP play an NFL down. I love Peterson and I think he will be a stud. Too early

I agree with all of this. Eric Berry is a ******* beast waiting to explode.

CashmoneyDrew
08-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Delete.......

CashmoneyDrew
08-06-2011, 02:25 AM
Kinda crazy how the thread seems overwhelmingly in favor of Berry but the poll is a dead heat.

Speak up PP lovers!

TACKLE
08-06-2011, 02:52 AM

listen to the wisdom of this fine gentlemen whom i quoted.

CC.SD
08-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Easily Berry, there is really no such thing as a can't miss CB prospect these days anyway.

randomly, what is Berry's contract, anyone? All this talk about Weddle being the highest paid safety has me wondering what a top 5 pick last year got.

Splat
08-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Berry got 6 years $60 million with $34 million guaranteed.

I believe that makes him the highest paid in the league at his position?

As much as I love Berry it's crap that a rookie that never played gets that much but thankfully those days are over.

J-Mike88
08-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Berry got 6 years $60 million with $34 million guaranteed.

I believe that makes him the highest paid in the league at his position?

As much as I love Berry it's crap that a rookie that never played gets that much but thankfully those days are over.
Great points, very true, and what an improvement that is now under this new CBA.

I like the results of this vote. I thought Peterson would hold his own.

YAYareaRB
08-06-2011, 03:49 PM
this would be easier if peterson played a down.. even more easier if they played the same position

T-RICH49
08-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Eric Berry....yo he scary

J-Mike88
11-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Peterson with another signature, game-clinching touchdown today.
That guy's HOLY CRAP, I'M SO COOL BECAUSE I CAN MISSPELL WORDS TO EVADE CENSORS amazing back there.

Rosebud
11-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I lol'd...boner

Raiderz4Life
11-27-2011, 08:23 PM
aawww i missed it

Vox Populi
11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I'd just like to point out that njx used capital letters in editing J-Mike's post. That is all.

Also, I haven't even watched a Cardinals game, but PP's returns are amazing.

bucfan12
11-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Peterson with another signature, game-clinching touchdown today.
That guy's HOLY CRAP, I'M SO COOL BECAUSE I CAN MISSPELL WORDS TO EVADE CENSORS amazing back there.

Just because he can return TDs on punts doesn't make him better than Eric Berry as a defensive Player.

J-Mike88
11-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Just because he can return TDs on punts doesn't make him better than Eric Berry as a defensive Player.
You gotta factor everything in.... his 4 TD returns are worth as much as Hester's TD returns.

If only the Cardinals would have had back-to-back primetime games like the Chiefs did, we'd all have had a chance to see more of Peterson.

bucfan12
11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
You gotta factor everything in.... his 4 TD returns are worth as much as Hester's TD returns.

If only the Cardinals would have had back-to-back primetime games like the Chiefs did, we'd all have had a chance to see more of Peterson.

Ask Peterson how it feels to play CB? Getting burned and torched by Crabtree can't be too fun either?

Berry>Peterson, and Berry was lost for the year.

J-Mike88
11-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Everyone gets beaten now and then.
3 years ago, Charles Woodson was torched in Chicago down the field by Devin Aromashadu.

Cards fans love Peterson, and he's now got 4 PR TDs of 80+ yards, which is just 1 less than Hester has in his career.
And I believe 3 of the 4 have been game-winners.

Gotta hand it to P2.
Geaux Tigers.

bucfan12
11-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Like Peterson , but as a FS. I don;t think he has the lateral speed to be CB in this league. Too big. And it just wasn't Crabtree that has had success on him this year. He's not a shut down CB. I said this before he was even drafted that he won't be a good CB, but a great FS in the NFL.

J-Mike88
11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Like Peterson , but as a FS. I don;t think he has the lateral speed to be CB in this league. Too big. And it just wasn't Crabtree that has had success on him this year. He's not a shut down CB. I said this before he was even drafted that he won't be a good CB, but a great FS in the NFL.
Fair enough..... whatever position they put him at, his return ability is sensational and part of the body of work that makes PP>EB at this point in time.

vidae
11-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Did you seriously bump this thread?

And Berry didn't return punts or kicks because he played every single defensive snap we had last year. And he played coverage on punt and kicks.

But sure, returning some punts totally factors in to how good of a defensive player you are!

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Eric Berry is a beast, was so sad when he went down this year. I thought this was gunna be his year to break out (more so than he already did last year)

One of my favorite players not on the Ravens

Raiderz4Life
11-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Did you seriously bump this thread?

And Berry didn't return punts or kicks because he played every single defensive snap we had last year. And he played coverage on punt and kicks.

But sure, returning some punts totally factors in to how good of a defensive player you are!

Seems you're not getting it Vid

He's returning punts for TD which means be gets to go back out right away and play more snaps..playing more snaps which gives him more practice thus accelerating his growth rate so he'll have played 2 seasons by the big time this season ends

vidae
11-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Holy crap.. I didn't even think about that! It's like he has played 10 seasons already!

cmarq83
11-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I like Berry more to be honest. Peterson is a great return man, but he's not keeping this pace up. He's very raw as a cornerback, whereas Berry pre-injury was one of the best safeties in the league. As he gets more adapted I think he'll be consistently a 6-8 interception a year guy like Reed is.

As weird as it sounds I think it's getting more difficult to find good safeties in the league than it is to find good cornerbacks. With defenseless receiver and pass interference/illegal contact rules, the big time hitting run-stuffing safeties are becoming obsolete. At the same time we've seen an influx of amazing TE's over the past few years. A lot of contenders teams have absolute trainwrecks in the back end of their secondaries because there just aren't enough good players to go around.

JBCX
11-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I think I'd rather have Ed Reed than Devin Hester.

Raiderz4Life
11-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Think we all would. But this discussion is about Eric Berry and Patrick Peterson

JBCX
11-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Think we all would. But this discussion is about Eric Berry and Patrick Peterson

That's exactly the point. Peterson is a great returner but has been pretty bad as a DB.

Eric Berry, before his injury, was poised for a breakout season. He looked amazing in his rookie year and I was anxious to see him in his second year and I am still confident that he can be one of the top 5 safeties in the league in the future.

jrdrylie
11-28-2011, 02:29 PM

I think I would too, but it would be a difficult decision. Even in games where Hester doesn't score touchdowns, he still has a huge effect on field position by either teams punting high and short to avoid him or Hester having 50-yard returns.

Raiderz4Life
11-28-2011, 02:32 PM
That's exactly the point. Peterson is a great returner but has been pretty bad as a DB.

Eric Berry, before his injury, was poised for a breakout season. He looked amazing in his rookie year and I was anxious to see him in his second year and I am still confident that he can be one of the top 5 safeties in the league in the future.

My point being that its too early to call either one of em Ed Reed or Hester. PP may end up being Antrell Rolle. He's just a rookie, Hester has already established himself as a PR/KR primarily and a WR second. PP is a PR right now but its his first year.

Prowler
11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Peterson is a #2 caliber Corner with upside vs Berry, an All Pro type Safety. I'll take an injured Eric Berry over a healthy Peterson right now.

Rob S
11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I have been hearing mixed reviews on Peterson. Some people say that he has been good at CB, while he is getting trashed by others. I honestly haven't seen enough Cards games to make a call myself. If Peterson is just an average CB, then I take Berry because he should be an elite defensive player provided he heals up okay. PR ability can't make up that gap. That said, if Peterson can become a top 15 CB in the league, I take him over Berry. CB is a premium position while safety is far from it; throw in the gambreaking ability and I would take Peterson.

comahan
11-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Peterson started out very average, but after about 4 games, got his stuff together and turned into a very good corner. I'd urge anyone who thinks he's been bad to actually watch him play.

ImBrotherCain
11-28-2011, 02:50 PM
My point being that its too early to call either one of em Ed Reed or Hester. PP may end up being Antrell Rolle. He's just a rookie, Hester has already established himself as a PR/KR primarily and a WR second. PP is a PR right now but its his first year.

Please please please tell me you are comparing PP to Antrell Rolle in the way of drafted as a CB and moved to FS.

Cause as a player that is kinda a low ceiling with his skill set.

Don Vito
11-28-2011, 03:59 PM
I will be honest I haven't been able to watch a Cardinals game this year but I have heard a lot of people saying he's getting beaten up on as a corner. It seems to be the consensus that he is playing better now which is nice. He has been a beast as a returner and everyone knows it, but I think next year Peterson will emerge as a great corner. He is so young and he is pretty raw but the talent he has is pretty much unmatched and cannot be taught, I have a hard time belieiving he will be primarily a returner and a disappointment at corner in the NFL. He may not be perfect now but he has flashed game-changing ability and is an elite talent, plus he isn't playing on a great defense/team.

I am a huge Eric Berry fan. I think he will evolve into the nest elite safety in the NFL with guys like Reed, Polamalu, and Dawkins in the twilight of their careers. He is not only an amazing athlete but an amazing footballl player. He has instincts, toughness, and ball skills to go along with incredible talent. I would take Berry now even though his season was ended. They both have the ability to be elite but I think Berry has all the skills to be a top player in the NFL.

Raiderz4Life
11-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Please please please tell me you are comparing PP to Antrell Rolle in the way of drafted as a CB and moved to FS.

Cause as a player that is kinda a low ceiling with his skill set.

Yea that's what I meant. The CB to S transition. PP's attributes blow Rolle's out of the water.

J-Mike88
11-28-2011, 05:08 PM
I have been hearing mixed reviews on Peterson. Some people say that he has been good at CB, while he is getting trashed by others. I honestly haven't seen enough Cards games to make a call myself. If Peterson is just an average CB, then I take Berry because he should be an elite defensive player provided he heals up okay. PR ability can't make up that gap. That said, if Peterson can become a top 15 CB in the league, I take him over Berry. CB is a premium position while safety is far from it; throw in the gambreaking ability and I would take Peterson.
Over the past 5-6 years, the best safeties in the league have been:

Troy Polamalu
Ed Reed
Nick Collins
Bob Sanders
when healthy.. their defense never was the same without him healthy back there.

All 4 of those guys won Super Bowls.

Nnamdi was the best corner in football for a couple years.
Revis has been the past few years. He's helped his team get to the AFC Championship, but I believe a great, elite safety can make more plays, does make more plays, has a bigger impact.

http://www.thesportssession.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/greenbayD.jpg

cmarq83
11-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Over the past 5-6 years, the best safeties in the league have been:

Troy Polamalu
Ed Reed
Nick Collins
Bob Sanders
when healthy.. their defense never was the same without him healthy back there.

All 4 of those guys won Super Bowls.

Nnamdi was the best corner in football for a couple years.
Revis has been the past few years. He's helped his team get to the AFC Championship, but I believe a great, elite safety can make more plays, does make more plays, has a bigger impact.

I think safety is a more difficult position to fill in the NFL, but I'd still take Revis or Nnamdi any day of the week over any of the guys you listed. Elite corners have a bigger impact on games than elite safeties.

Also, correlation does not imply causation. It's not Revis or Nnamdi's fault that their teams have been fatally flawed from the get-go

J-Mike88
11-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Elite corners have a bigger impact on games than elite safeties.
This website has had great discussions on that subject alone, and I was won-over by the safety side of things. Here's why:

Revis, or Nnamdi:
We've seen over the past 2 seasons teams can easily avoid him.
The Packers for example put out 5 good options... Revis can only take away 1 guy. Easily, you can avoid the corner like Nnamdi.

Polamalu?
Ed Reed?
Collins?

Not only do those guys hunt the RBs near the LOS, and also get some sacks on safety-blitzes, they also have the ability back there in center field to go sideline to sideline and take away a pass intended for any WR.

How many times have we seen Polamalu and Reed and Collins do so?

cmarq83
11-28-2011, 05:33 PM
You can avoid a guy like Revis, but in doing so you're also sacrificing the most dangerous part of your offense. Most teams don't have 5 good targets to throw to like the Packers do. If somebody takes away the primary read of the quarterback it forces him to go to pass plays he is less comfortable with, and can throw him out of rhythm. This in turn helps other players on the field receive favorable opportunities and matchups. It's part of the reason why the Jets have been so good defensively the past couple of years despite only having 3 real good players on that side of the ball.

An elite safety by himself isn't particularly dangerous. Good quarterbacks are careful with their eyes and anticipate them jumping certain routes. I can't tell you the amount of times Tom Brady has made Polamalu look like an absolute scrub on the field by tricking him with his eyes. It's only when quarterbacks are pressured and receivers are covered well covered that an elite safety truly shines within an defense. It's part of the reason why playmaking safeties usually are on good defensive teams.

A cornerback is a foundation piece whereas a safety is like the the front porch. The front porch is what everybody notices, but the foundation is what is holding up the house.

cmarq83
11-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Also, Ed Reed has never won a Super Bowl.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Peterson started out very average, but after about 4 games, got his stuff together and turned into a very good corner. I'd urge anyone who thinks he's been bad to actually watch him play.

Bingo. Now, I haven't seen every Cardinals snap (thank god), but Peterson went through some serious struggles early (Giants game and Vikings game stand out), but he's looked much better recently.

MetSox17
11-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Eric Berraayy, Eric Berry.

Wodwo
11-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Bingo. Now, I haven't seen every Cardinals snap (thank god), but Peterson went through some serious struggles early (Giants game and Vikings game stand out), but he's looked much better recently.

Did you watch him play last week against the 49ers?

Trogdor
11-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Did you watch him play last week against the 49ers?

PP did extremely well with a VERY hard task... he made Crabtree look like a legit #1.

J-Mike88
11-28-2011, 07:42 PM
A cornerback is a foundation piece whereas a safety is like the the front porch. The front porch is what everybody notices, but the foundation is what is holding up the house.
I actually believe the D-Line is the foundation (in a 43, not 34), and one needs look no further than the 2008 Champion Giants who had a great DL cover up badness in the secondary.

Raiderz4Life
11-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Also, Polamalu drops a ton if his front 7 isn't beasting it. If they're kicking ass then he becomes that much better.

cmarq83
11-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I actually believe the D-Line is the foundation (in a 43, not 34), and one needs look no further than the 2008 Champion Giants who had a great DL cover up badness in the secondary.

I think you missed the point. An elite corner back is something you can build off of, whereas an elite safety is something that makes a good defense elite. Without the proper players around them safeties are stuck playing too many deep zones and have some of their playmaking abilities mitigated.

Raiderz4Life
11-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I think you missed the point. An elite corner back is something you can build off of, whereas an elite safety is something that makes a good defense elite. Without the proper players around them safeties are stuck playing too many deep zones and have some of their playmaking abilities mitigated.

prime example....Troy Polamalu

Rabscuttle
11-28-2011, 09:30 PM
PP did extremely well with a VERY hard task... he made Crabtree look like a legit #1.

No kidding. Now imagine if he took his half-assed efforts at tackling to free safety. Gore, Jackson and Lynch would joygasm.

Sloopy
11-28-2011, 10:45 PM
CB is a premium position while safety is far from it; throw in the gambreaking ability and I would take Peterson.

I hate to agree with J-Mike but I'm gunna have to on this one.

Safety is Much more important than a CB.

One good CB can't save a secondary. Meanwhile Safeties like Ed Reed and to a lesser extent Troy have been making up for their teams weak CB play for years.

Safeties are also called upon to do way more than CB (tackling, blitzing etc) Corners do this to, but few of them are as good as some of the safeties in this league.

A corner is often manned up on one guy while a Safety makes snap second decisions on where to cover over the top.

Not to mention how many corners you can claim as useless in this league if they don't have safety help over the top.

Bad safeties lead to offenses blowing the top off your defense, a bad corner can be masked by blitzes, safeties themselves etc.

The skill set alone to play safety is greater than that of a Corner, and how many top safeties come out of drafts every year? Even decent safeties in this league don't get drafted high while Corners who turn out to be average get drafted quite high every year. Rarely do you find an elite safety prospect so the likes of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Laron Landry, Sean Taylor etc. are much harder to find and thus more valuable. Eric Berry has the potential to be one of those guys so give me him over any top 15 CB (maybe not Revis, then again... maybe still tough call there)

Raiderz4Life
11-29-2011, 12:22 AM
svm you know I tend to agree with you but not on this one. Especially not with Troy. What truly masks a weak secondary is the pass rush not the safety. Reed is a future HoF but T-Sizzle, Ngata, Jarrett Johnson, Ray Lewis all contribute more to helping the corners than Reed does albeit not by much because Reed is a truly phenomenal player.

Troy on the other hand...no, he doesn't make up for anything. Like has been stated many times...Troy is good when his front 7 is killing it. If they don't all his deficiencies are brought out to broad day light and he gets abused, especially in coverage.

But if you have a Revis, who completely shuts down a teams primary receiver, you can roll coverage over to the other side. You can bring more people in to rush the passer because you know he will lock down his side of the field. Rex can get as exotic and blitz happy as he wants because he knows Revis has his side shut down.

Rob S
11-29-2011, 06:51 AM
I hate to agree with J-Mike but I'm gunna have to on this one.

Safety is Much more important than a CB.

One good CB can't save a secondary. Meanwhile Safeties like Ed Reed and to a lesser extent Troy have been making up for their teams weak CB play for years.

Safeties are also called upon to do way more than CB (tackling, blitzing etc) Corners do this to, but few of them are as good as some of the safeties in this league.

A corner is often manned up on one guy while a Safety makes snap second decisions on where to cover over the top.

Not to mention how many corners you can claim as useless in this league if they don't have safety help over the top.

Bad safeties lead to offenses blowing the top off your defense, a bad corner can be masked by blitzes, safeties themselves etc.

The skill set alone to play safety is greater than that of a Corner, and how many top safeties come out of drafts every year? Even decent safeties in this league don't get drafted high while Corners who turn out to be average get drafted quite high every year. Rarely do you find an elite safety prospect so the likes of Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Laron Landry, Sean Taylor etc. are much harder to find and thus more valuable. Eric Berry has the potential to be one of those guys so give me him over any top 15 CB (maybe not Revis, then again... maybe still tough call there)

I have to disagree, somewhat. First and foremost, I never said that I take Peterson over Berry solely due to the positional argument. I said that being a top 15 CB plus Hester like return abilities make PP more valuable than Berry.

Also, you mentioned that having a poor safety leads to game breaking plays for the opposition and that CB play can be masked by safeties. Well, poor safety play can be masked by great man-to-man coverage as well. As for game breaking potential, your argument is certainly true, but I don't see how you can use gamebreaking ability (or mitigation thereof) as an argument for Berry over Peterson. PP has shown elite game breaker ability on returns.

If we took return ability out of it, I think PP needs to be a top 5 CB to get the nod over Berry. The things you can do with your defense when you have a shut down corner trump the things you can do with your defense when you have a great safety. Seeing the Jets play every week, this is obvious. Revis is the most important defensive player I can remember watching. EVERYTHING is designed around that guy, ******* everything. Ed Reed is the best safety I have ever seen play and his impact on games can't match up to Revis' impact. Yeah a great safety is going to have more "big" plays, it's the nature of the position though. If you take Eric Berry over Revis or any other CB that can generally excel in man-to-man vs the oppositions #1 WR, that is a truly awful, awful decision imo.

Also, it has to be considered that PP would likely make for an excellent safety. If he did fail to continue developing at CB, he could easily be shifted to safety and, tools wise, he is right there with Berry.

Sloopy
11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I have to disagree, somewhat. First and foremost, I never said that I take Peterson over Berry solely due to the positional argument. I said that being a top 15 CB plus Hester like return abilities make PP more valuable than Berry.

Also, you mentioned that having a poor safety leads to game breaking plays for the opposition and that CB play can be masked by safeties. Well, poor safety play can be masked by great man-to-man coverage as well. As for game breaking potential, your argument is certainly true, but I don't see how you can use gamebreaking ability (or mitigation thereof) as an argument for Berry over Peterson. PP has shown elite game breaker ability on returns.

If we took return ability out of it, I think PP needs to be a top 5 CB to get the nod over Berry. The things you can do with your defense when you have a shut down corner trump the things you can do with your defense when you have a great safety. Seeing the Jets play every week, this is obvious. Revis is the most important defensive player I can remember watching. EVERYTHING is designed around that guy, ******* everything. Ed Reed is the best safety I have ever seen play and his impact on games can't match up to Revis' impact. Yeah a great safety is going to have more "big" plays, it's the nature of the position though. If you take Eric Berry over Revis or any other CB that can generally excel in man-to-man vs the oppositions #1 WR, that is a truly awful, awful decision imo.

Also, it has to be considered that PP would likely make for an excellent safety. If he did fail to continue developing at CB, he could easily be shifted to safety and, tools wise, he is right there with Berry.

I guess I can see this. It also may very on the defense but if we are talking fairly similar 3-4 defense then yes, you can mask poor corner play with a pass rush. Similarly, a defense with a good corner can do many other things with the coverage.

I've just never been a big fan of corners. I hate the false idea of shut down corners because every corner gets beat it's just good corners get beat less. Meanwhile a safety can often cover up for good and bad corners.

I will rescind my Troy comments because Troy is only good when he is given free range to roam the field.

I still take Eric Berry here, probably more on own personal preference