PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU

shylo3716
08-06-2011, 09:08 AM
In 2010 he accounted for 54 Tackles 45 Solo 2 Sacks 4 INT which shows promise of great things to come for him this year as a starter. Rhodes is a very big CB at 6'2'' 215 which has me wondering can he be an Antonio Cromartie or Nnamdi Asomugha type of guy. Rhodes is only a RS Soph which makes him draft eligible. With his size/skillset I can almost see him as a lock for the 1st Round possibly becoming the #1 CB off the board, depending on how he campaigns this year during the season & with great Combine numbers.

http://www.shotsbyshiro.com/Sports/FSU/CFS01862/1119471215_tV5Tr-L.jpg

K Train
08-06-2011, 10:20 AM
i dont think hed declare yet, at least i dont think it would be his best move unless hes absolutely brilliant this year

Hines
08-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Here are some highlights on Xavier Rhodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbzKFxIWig

hockey619
08-06-2011, 10:55 AM
definitely a guy with a lot of potential, someone to keep an eye on.

speaking of corners, what do you all think of Dre Kirkpatrick from Bama?

6'3", needs to put on a little weight but he will, hes still young. havent seen much of him but ive seen him ranked highly among DB's in the coming draft.

tjsunstein
08-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Cromartie or Asomugha type of guy? What exactly type of player is that? Tall CB?

shylo3716
08-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Cromartie or Asomugha type of guy? What exactly type of player is that? Tall CB?

Cromartie = Range
Asomugha = SHUTDOWN

shylo3716
08-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Here are some highlights on Xavier Rhodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbzKFxIWig

Your clips are not showing up

dhbzKFxIWig

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Rhodes was by far and away FSU's best DB last year. He can play bump and run or zone. He's very physical and IMO, played a lot like Revis last year. He's just a RS Soph so he still has a lot of time to improve. He's not Cromartie, and I haven't seen enough of Asomugha, but I'd say he compares well to Revis (blankets WR's, very physical, great at locating the ball). He's also a sure and willing tackler. I don't think he's the fastest guy in the world, but he has adequate speed.

shylo3716
08-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Rhodes was by far and away FSU's best DB last year. He can play bump and run or zone. He's very physical and IMO, played a lot like Revis last year. He's just a RS Soph so he still has a lot of time to improve. He's not Cromartie, and I haven't seen enough of Asomugha, but I'd say he compares well to Revis (blankets WR's, very physical, great at locating the ball). He's also a sure and willing tackler. I don't think he's the fastest guy in the world, but he has adequate speed.

Even if he is a 4.5 guy I still would take him in the 1st.

BuddyCHRIST
08-06-2011, 11:28 AM
He's a Nmandi clone, big very physical and can play with any WR. Was awesome last year, and he just recently converted to CB so he's new to the position.

His speed is something I can't even judge because he never gets beat to where he has to use any make up speed. I hope he doesn't declare after this year, but skill wise its a possibility as he plays like a surefire 1st rounder.

shylo3716
08-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Hopefully this will be a little bug to get people to start mocking him in their drafts.

dannyz
08-06-2011, 01:30 PM
He's really good. If Florida State has a big Year this Year I think he might Come Out if he plays better then he did last Year.

Duffman57
08-08-2011, 01:58 AM
He's a Nmandi clone, big very physical and can play with any WR. Was awesome last year, and he just recently converted to CB so he's new to the position.

His speed is something I can't even judge because he never gets beat to where he has to use any make up speed. I hope he doesn't declare after this year, but skill wise its a possibility as he plays like a surefire 1st rounder.

Yah, he's probably a low 4.5 guy, which isn't horrible for a big CB like him. Just from that highlight clip i can tell that he's REALLY physical. Like you said, he's EXACTLY like Nnamdi, though he doesn't have the pure speed that Nnamdi does, he makes up for it with his insane quickness. There was one play where he was running with Broyles, and then Broyles pulls his hook rout, and with one step, Rhodes goes from full speed, to cut on one step, turn around, and break up the pass.

The other thing that IMMEDIATLY stands out to you is that he's got INCREDIBLY long arms, leading to him having a really good jam, and good ability to get off blocks, as well as get up or reach around to break up a pass.

shylo3716
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Soooooooo...... Hitter, Cover guy or Both?

And how did he do in the first game of the season?

TuckNole
09-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Soooooooo...... Hitter, Cover guy or Both?

And how did he do in the first game of the season?

First two games were non evaluatable. Maybe 130 yards passing between the two teams. They elected not to test FSU's 3 NFL worth corners and threw short stuff or elected not to throw. Last week, Charleston Southern had 0 passing yards at half time.

bucfan12
09-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Looks good. Still a bit unknown. If he declares, this CB class is going to be deep. Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, Jenkins, Minnfield, Dennard, Harris, and Rhodes (not in any order specifically.

BamaFalcon59
09-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah, let's forget about the one who will end up the best, Jayron Hosley.

bucfan12
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Rhodes is only a RS Sophmore and is already on pre-season awards watch lists such as the Thorpe and Bednarick awards. Quite impressive.

I have a hard time seeing him declare though, with the NFL rookie pay scale now in effect. Unless his grade is through the roof as a top 10 pick, I see him staying because the depth and quality of this CB class is very, very good.

Leon Sandcastle
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I wanna know more about Mike Harris.

marshallb
10-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I wanna know more about Mike Harris.

Maybe you would wanna check out this thread (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48708) then.

shylo3716
10-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Is Rhodes on a milk carton this year? All the preseason buzz has turned the forum into a ghost town on him.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Rhodes has been pretty good this year, he's just been overshadowed by FSU's horrendous start.

shylo3716
10-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Everyone already "knows" he is the consensus #1 pick for the CB spot in the 2013 class if he does not come out this year, but does anyone think he can be outplayed for the spot like Claiborne has done Kirkpatrick?

BuddyCHRIST
10-20-2011, 12:13 AM
He's been good, but not as great as last year. Has given up a couple big plays, and like our whole team tends to be lacking on 3rd down defense. Still a physical specimen and this season should just be more reason for him to return next year and continue to improve.

shylo3716
11-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Does he become the biggest surprise prospect to come out this year although he is not buzzing?

shylo3716
11-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Because:

1) There is not that much money any more for the very top prospects thanks to the new CBA.
2) If he is, in reality, a second rounder, then he probably thinks he'll go in the top 20, and
3) Players leave school early all the time when they aren't first round prospects. There are about 60 underclassmen a year in the draft.

This is how he see's it, but I still think Rhodes would want to solidify himself as being the #1 guy at his position off the board.

ncst8fan83
11-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Everyone already "knows" he is the consensus #1 pick for the CB spot in the 2013 class if he does not come out this year, but does anyone think he can be outplayed for the spot like Claiborne has done Kirkpatrick?

He's not even the best CB in the ACC, much less a sure-fire 1st rounder. He's good, but I'd like to see him become more of a ballhawk.

shylo3716
11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
He's not even the best CB in the ACC, much less a sure-fire 1st rounder. He's good, but I'd like to see him become more of a ballhawk.

Dude! Don't act like you do not know about him being highly thought of before the season started. He was the preseason #2 CB behind Kirkpatrick.

ncst8fan83
11-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh, no doubt he's highly thought of. I don't doubt his ability or potential. Just saying that he's not the best CB in the ACC at the moment.

shylo3716
11-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh, no doubt he's highly thought of. I don't doubt his ability or potential. Just saying that he's not the best CB in the ACC at the moment.

Please tell me who is, because not 1 is making any noise!

ncst8fan83
11-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Please tell me who is, because not 1 is making any noise!

Rhodes - 35 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 3 pbu, 1 int
Hosley - 46 tackles, .5 sacks, 8 pbu, 3 int, 1 ff, 1 fr
Amerson - 47 tackles, 1 sack, 4 pbu, 10 int

Just because you're not all over their nutsack doesn't mean they're not out there.

shylo3716
11-18-2011, 07:22 PM

Just because you're not all over their nutsack doesn't mean they're not out there.

Who started the Hosley thread?

TuckNole
11-18-2011, 07:42 PM

What do these stats have to do with anything?

ncst8fan83
11-18-2011, 08:22 PM

Statistics are one measure of a player's ability. I would assume the NFL would want productivity of some sort.

shylo3716
11-19-2011, 11:19 AM

I would like to know the same thing my friend.

Hosley can have 20 career picks & still won't go in the 1st Round over Rhodes.

ncst8fan83
11-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I would like to know the same thing my friend.

Hosley can have 15 career picks & still won't go in the 1st Round over Rhodes.

And that is fine. That team would be drafting on the potential of Rhodes having a higher ceiling that Hosley. I wouldn't fault them for that. My point still remains that he's not the best CB in the ACC. Apparently your man crush has hampered your ability to make a sound, reasoned argument.

Point A - Rhodes needs to be more productive.
Point B - Because of his lack of production, he is not the best CB in the ACC at this time
Point C - that does not preclude him from being drafted higher based on potential
Point D - I am a huge homer and I'm trying to push Amerson as much as possible.

shylo3716
11-19-2011, 01:07 PM
And that is fine. That team would be drafting on the potential of Rhodes having a higher ceiling that Hosley. I wouldn't fault them for that. My point still remains that he's not the best CB in the ACC. Apparently your man crush has hampered your ability to make a sound, reasoned argument.

Point A - Rhodes needs to be more productive.
Point B - Because of his lack of production, he is not the best CB in the ACC at this time
Point C - that does not preclude him from being drafted higher based on potential
Point D - I am a huge homer and I'm trying to push Amerson as much as possible.

Is Rhodes on a milk carton this year? All the preseason buzz has turned the forum into a ghost town on him.

My dude you're debating over nothing. Those 2 quotes right there were wrote before Tyrann Mathieu hit the scene hard. Mathieu is the #1 CB heading into the 2012 season, but will he be the #1 CB taken in 2013 if he comes out---->NO!<---- due to size just like Hosley & the major knock on Hosley is that he is Asante Samuel 2.0 strictly a zone CB.

TuckNole
11-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Statistics are one measure of a player's ability. I would assume the NFL would want productivity of some sort.

This past weekend against UF, Rhodes had one of his best games of the year. Yet he was barely mentioned. No need to because he only had the ball thrown his way a couple times.

Plus, using raw stats doesn't do anything for me. Does it adjust for pacing of the games the player played in? Cornerbacks in the B12 should have more stats than those in the SEC because the hurry up offenses that many of those teams run will mean that there are 20 more defensive plays per game than an SEC game. Does it adjust for level of competition? Does it adjust for scheme?

Raw stats just don't tell me anything at all.