PDA

View Full Version : Bad break for the Giants

J-Mike88
08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants rookie cornerback Prince Amukamara fractured the fifth metatarsal in his left foot Saturday and will need surgery, the team announced.

He is out indefinitely.

Amukamara, the Giants' first-round selection in the 2011 NFL draft, left midway through Saturday night's practice with a member of the Giants' medical staff, and X-rays revealed the fracture, which will require a procedure in which a screw will be inserted into his left foot. It was just Amukamara's second practice with the team after becoming the last first-rounder to sign a contract. He practiced with the team for the first time on Friday night.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6840281/prince-amukamara-new-york-giants-breaks-foot-indefinitely

PackerLegend
08-06-2011, 10:28 PM
well that def sucks he just signed and now his foot is broken a day later. Dont really know what kind of impact he would have had on a shortened offseason though.

Hurricanes25
08-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Bruce Johnson is also injured and out for the year so this already puts the Giants 2 corners down.

gpngc
08-06-2011, 11:06 PM
All signs point to a Giants demise this season. I don't think they win over 8 games.

Malaka
08-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I can't even argue that, the team is crumbling little by little, honestly.

This sucks.

The only thing I can hope for is the Giants get mad at being the underdogs like in 07' fat chance but ****, so was that year.

CJSchneider
08-06-2011, 11:14 PM
It's his baby toe. Tape that thing up to a pop-sickle stick and get your ass back on the field.

I'm just joking of course.

hockey619
08-06-2011, 11:20 PM
All signs point to a Giants demise this season. I don't think they win over 8 games.

im not sure what to think of the giants yet personally.

but what makes you think they suddenly got worse? losing prince (probably plays nickel this year as he learns), patrick (nothing special), and steve smith?

SS is the only loss, but they played without him for a lot of last year so thats not that big. I only hate it because then manningham will see more passes and therefore get more chances to suck. Maybe Cruz can blow up for us and build on last preseason, but thats a stretch just because everyone always wants that to happen for their guy and it rarely does.

i wish we had dropped jacobs though, hes so washed up, id rather have gotten ingram (or better yet jimmy smith....).

senormysterioso
08-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Cut it off like Ronnie Lott! The Giants are having a bad off season, add this to Osi's drama, Steve Smith's injury, Plexico spurning them for the jets, Ben Patrick retiring, and Eli Manning still being mediocre at best...I don't like their chances

V.I.P
08-06-2011, 11:31 PM
End of Tom Coughlin era...

vidae
08-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Forenci is prob on suicide watch. I'll take first shift, you got second shift Malaka!

freebirdsrams02
08-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Trade Osi for a cb.

descendency
08-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Bad break?

I see what you did there.

CJSchneider
08-07-2011, 01:16 AM
...but this little piggy went "There went our first round pick."

bigbuc
08-07-2011, 02:17 AM
If you think the G Men are going to fall cause of a rookie braking his foot, I feel bad for you. Now maybe the O line... but not a rookie CB. They'll be fine... even if the have to put him on the IR.

bigbuc
08-07-2011, 02:19 AM
They lost Osi two years ago and won the East. Year in and year out they'll be fighting for a spot...

bigbuc
08-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Also one more thing, they could... Trade Osi for John Carlson and a 2nd round pick.... And the only weak spot on the roster would be the O line and the 4th CB spot. But that D Line with Jpp, Tuck, Kiwi and Canty would be fine.

Gay Ork Wang
08-07-2011, 05:34 AM
ONLY the oline? You make it sound like havin gproblems on the Oline is just as bad as having problems on the 4th CB spot. Having Oline problems is huge.

JBCX
08-07-2011, 07:10 AM
At least it's just a broken foot and not a torn ACL+microfracture.

That's what happened to the Eagles #1 pick last year. He was supposed to be a key defensive cog (LDE) and thrive under the new system until he suffered that potentially career-ending injury.

Consider yourself lucky Giants fans, because Amukamara will at least, in all likelihood, still play this season at some point, and even if he doesn't, the injury is at least not career-threatening as it is with the Eagles' player.

bigbluedefense
08-07-2011, 09:27 AM
From the outside looking in, sure it looks like we have issues, but that's not really the case at all.

1. Oline issues - I call them oline upgrades. So we lost OHara and Richy. Big deal? Richy, I loved the guy, but he was old and coming off a bad knee injury. OHara is washed up and should have been cut a year ago.

We upgraded both positions. Mich Petrus is a stud in the making if he starts, or if we slide Diehl to LG he's a very good LG. And Baas and Koets are both worlds better than OHara was.

This wasn't an issue at all. Our oline will be better this year than it was last year.

2. Prince - Yes, it's a setback. And it will hurt his development this year. But let's be honest, the guy was going to be our 4th CB on the depth chart anyway. At best, our nickel, but as long as Ross is healthy it's his to lose. Prince was going to be redshirted this year anyway, he'd rarely see the field. We tend to do that with our rookies anyway. Not a big loss at all.

And he'll heal in time to play at least 8 games this year. He'll go through his lumps this year, and be ready to start next year. That's how we develop players.

No biggie. Im not thrilled, but it's not the end of the world at all.

3. Osi - Seriously, he has no chips. He has 2 years left on his contract. If he wants to sit out of training camp so Kiwi and JPP can get more reps in practice, then go ahead. I'm fine with that. But come the start of the season, we'll either get great compensation for him or he'll suit up.

This is a non issue.

4. Ben Patrick/Kevin Boss - Seriously. Who cares. Patrick was a depth player anyway, and Boss, while he was solid and reliable, he wasn't an impact player. And the way we use TEs in our offense, it doesn't matter anyway.

Plus we have Travis Beckum and Bear Pascoe. I know what we have in Bear, a solid run blocking TE who can catch in the flats, and Beckum has potential to be great but has to improve his run blocking, but we have guys who can step up and fill the void.

I believe in our young talent that we drafted. We'll be fine.

bigbluedefense
08-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Steve Smith on the other hand, now that's an issue that concerns me. That's our only real issue.

It doesn't sound like he's healthy and it doesn't sound like he'll be ready to start the season. And he probably will have a down year.

Oh, and he isn't even signed yet. So yeah....that's my concern. The rest is fluff.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm billing the Giants for 7-9. They're going no where.

Jughead10
08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
They lost Osi two years ago and won the East. Year in and year out they'll be fighting for a spot...

Yeah people forget that, even Giants fans. 2008 was the best I've seen this team play, even better than we won the Super Bowl. Until Plax shot himself we were the best team in the NFL that year. And Osi didn't play one snap that year.

Jughead10
08-07-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm billing the Giants for 7-9. They're going no where.

The schedule is really easy. Especially the beginning. Skins, Rams, Eagles, Cards, Seahawks, Bills, bye, Phins. It doesn't get much easier than that. The end is tough though, but a lot of that depends on how good the Cowboys are.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-07-2011, 10:03 AM
The schedule is really easy. Especially the beginning. Skins, Rams, Eagles, Cards, Seahawks, Bills, bye, Phins. It doesn't get much easier than that. The end is tough though, but a lot of that depends on how good the Cowboys are.

Yeah, I was parroting/mocking BBD for his Falcon related comments. I think the Giants will probably end up with a WC spot as of now.

Jughead10
08-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I was parroting/mocking BBD for his Falcon related comments. I think the Giants will probably end up with a WC spot as of now.

Oh got ya. The Prince injury might not even be that long. 5 weeks if he gets that screw put in. I think that is the time fram Farley got and I believe their injuries seem to be fairly similar.

bigbluedefense
08-07-2011, 10:05 AM

it's all good! :)

The Giants are notorious for having bad decembers. So I'm hoping we really get off to a fast start, bc we're going to need it if we want to go to the playoffs.

I'm hoping we can go at 4-2 in the division. In theory we should beat Washington and Dallas twice. But it never works out that way. We'll win some we should lose, lose some we should win, and blah blah blah.

hockey619
08-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Steve Smith on the other hand, now that's an issue that concerns me. That's our only real issue.

It doesn't sound like he's healthy and it doesn't sound like he'll be ready to start the season. And he probably will have a down year.

Oh, and he isn't even signed yet. So yeah....that's my concern. The rest is fluff.

im in the same boat, all that other crap will solve itself before the first game so none of it matters.

but having steve smith is kind of a big deal, our offense was definitely less effective once he was out. Like i said though, it does open the door for us to see what we have in cruz, and itd be cool if he could prove last preseason was no fluke.

but it also opens the door for manningham to be on the field more. and i know im in the minority on this, but manningham blows. his routes are just brutal sometimes and he can get pushed off his route by a light breeze.

hed be ok working the seam i think but on the outside he gets ridden out of bounds a lot. im afraid coughlin and co will play him on the outside which would not help us. then again, if we keep running jacobs on ****ing stretch plays were screwed anyway.

BaLLiN
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
i though he was only out for 2 months...

Rosebud
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Cut it off like Ronnie Lott! The Giants are having a bad off season, add this to Osi's drama, Steve Smith's injury, Plexico spurning them for the jets, Ben Patrick retiring, and Eli Manning still being mediocre at best...I don't like their chances

A) Plax didn't spurn the giants. We offered him a contract if he couldn't catch on with a team that'd actually play him because the giants have some of the most kind and loyal owners in the sport.

B) If Mediocre you mean top 10 QB league wide and top 5 in the clutch, then yes Eli is still mediocre, but that's in no way, shape or form anything less than a great thing.

C) Osi's ******* Osi, he's always been "high maintenance" and with Tuck, JPP and Kiwi in beast mode I'm not really worried. He can try and sit out hoping that someone gets hurt and we're forced to cave, but I doubt that, seems like too risky of a bet for a DE of Osi's age who's had injury problems that have already limited what he can do...see how much worse he is against the run now than when he was young...

D) Ben Patrick who? I'd understand if we were talking about a guy like Gates who's a huge part of his teams' offense but if the giants are the throwing the ball to their TE something has gone terrible wrong already. We need a TE who can run block, and now that he won't be playing FB Bear Pascoe can do just that from the TE position.

I don't think we'll win the superbowl but not because of anything that's happened this offseason. If anything I think our chances have gotten better since all of the pressure will be on the Eagles and this team always does way better when they're flying under the radar and can play the underdog/us-against-the-world card.

Steve Smith's injury sucks hard, but he should be back for the playoffs, until then Barden gets a chance to shine if he can stay healthy, unlike last year where he finally showed his massive talent just to get injured, Cruz will actually get to see the field and Jernigan could see some snaps as well. Nicks is a perfectly fine #1 and even with his head still firmly between his buttcheeks Mario is still a really dangerous weapon.

As for Prince this a bummer, but it just means that instead of having four starting caliber corners we'll only have 3, woe is us. I'm much more bummed about what this means for our corner crew next year when Ross likely leaves for FA and we've got an essentially redshirted Prince stepping into the nickel spot.

*shrug* this is the NFL, every team is going to have some serious injuries so until they start piling onto the point where we're actually worse on the field I won't worry. Our depth is limited so more injuries will hurt us, but I'm not really going to worry about it for now. Not when we finally have a quick footed LT actually playing well, finally will get to see Kiwi unleashed and finally have quality DT depth.

Rosebud
08-10-2011, 12:02 PM
ONLY the oline? You make it sound like havin gproblems on the Oline is just as bad as having problems on the 4th CB spot. Having Oline problems is huge.

To be fair our OL looks like the best it's been since the year after we one the superbowl. Beatty's supposed to have added almost 30 pounds, is playing great in camp and should be the best LT the giants have had in the ten years I've been a fan. Baas/Koets is an unbelievably huge upgrade over washed up Shaun O'Hara, Snee is still a stud RG, Petrus will be a stud LG whenever he starts and we still have both Diehl and McKenzie who while old are still really good run blockers who aren't bad against the pass.

Beatty-Diehl-Baas-Snee-McKenzie or
Beatty-Petrus-Baas-Snee-Diehl

is not a line I'd really worry about.

So while the OL is our biggest concern heading into the season that's more a testament to how well balanced the Giants are built that something that could very well be a significant strength is our primary concern heading into the season.

Rosebud
08-10-2011, 12:05 PM

To be fair I'm comfortable with our receiving corps even without him, atleast for the regular season. Come playoff time I don't want to see Manningham out there in 2 WR sets, but isn't Smith supposed to be fully healthy before the playoffs anyway? Then again I may just be over-rating Barden who I was a big fan of coming out and Cruz who was making plays all over the place last pre-season/training camp.