PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Studs and Duds

nobodyinparticular
08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Every year team have players who break out with incredible training camp performances and players who flop like a fish out of water.

For the Raiders the past 3 years, Darren McFadden always made the defense look slow when running plays in shirts and no pads. He is up to more of the same this year. But he's not the TC stud of the year for the Raiders...

Stud: WR (5th round rookie) Denarious Moore is putting on a clinic so far in camp. Moore has not taken a day off as Raider TC Stud as he is constantly flying down the field for deep passes or coming across the middle on short routes. He may end up speeding his way into the starting lineup. If he and Ford start fir the Raiders, Oakland may have the fastest pair of starting WRs in the league.

Dud: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey Has been almost non-existent in training camp thus far. It took DHB a week just to get into camp and even after arriving in Napa he has hardly participated in any practices. According to Coach Jackson, the Raiders receiver has some form of an injury, but neither party will disclose the type or severity of the injury and beat writers in camp have not witnessed any limps, taped limbs or other signs of medical attention. After he was drafted number seven overall, this was the year DHB needed to step up. To this point the much maligned receiver has not taken the first steps toward a breakout year, thus earning the designation as the Raiders' TC Dud.

Who are the TC Studs and Duds for your teams?

BufFan71
08-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Buffalo

Stud: Stevie Johnson/Shawn Merriman

Dud: Aaron Maybin- Can someone please explain to me why hes still in an NFL uniform
He hasnt made one play so far in TC

Matthew Jones
08-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Buffalo

Stud: Stevie Johnson/Shawn Merriman

Dud: Aaron Maybin- Can someone please explain to me why hes still in an NFL uniform
He hasnt made one play so far in TC

Shawne Merriman has been a stud for the Bills? Wow. Is it because their offensive line is incredibly weak, or what?

For the Patriots:

Studs: Taylor Price, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes

Dud: Jermaine Cunningham

Go_Eagles77
08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Stud: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - I've been to camp twice so far and I haven't seen DRC get beat once. Granted, neither Jackson or Maclin has been in camp but he makes covering the WRs we do have look effortless. Has the speed to run with everyone and the size to go up and either bat the ball away or pick it off whenever it gets near him. Still can't believe this is our 3rd best CB.

Dud: Vince Young - Has thrown multiple picks (including one to Nnamdi) and is just overall not looking very accurate. Again, granted, he's not playing with first string guys and he's new to the system but he just looks lost most of the time.

YAYareaRB
08-07-2011, 11:36 AM
They wrote an article about the guys that are impressing in TC.

http://www.examiner.com/san-francisco-49ers-in-san-francisco/49ers-training-camp-standouts-after-the-first-week-of-practices

- WR Chris Hogan (#5)
Hogan has been one of the most impressive wide receivers that I've seen during camp. The undrafted rookie out of Monmouth has played consistently throughout the practices and had a very impressive outing on Friday, topped off with a 50-yard diving catch during the two-minute drill.

- QB Colin Kaepernick (#7)
Kaepernick is the wild card. When he was the top quarterback last week, he had an amazing zip to his throws and looked to be progressing well. But when Alex Smith came back in, Kaepernick's accuracy was a little off and he didn't seem to have a good grip on the short quick passes.

- WR Kevin Jurovich (#14)
Jurovich could become the team's fourth wide receiver. Having studied the playbook the entire off-season, he has shown his knowledge on the field with a great amount of consistency.

- CB Tramaine Brock (#26)
With Shawntae Spencer nursing a hamstring injury, Brock has stepped up as a ballhawk during camp. He's taking advantage of this opportunity and so far, has looked pretty good at it. He ended Thursday's two-minute drill with a pick six.

- S Reggie Smith (#30)
With the team's first offense, Smith has had his shares of interceptions and that might be what secures a starting spot for him. So far in camp, his ability to target in on the ball is what has stood out so far.

- RB Kendall Hunter (#32)
The backup running back job is up in the air and Hunter has emerged as the top choice right now. He's not too far ahead of Anthony Dixon, but Hunter's cuts at the line have been much more fluid. It's still an early camp battle, so we'll see if he can maintain his play.

- LB Larry Grant (#54)
On Friday, Grant was everywhere on the field. He was closing in on running backsand knocking down passes. His play could earn him a backup role.

- NT Ian Williams (#64)
At this pace, the undrafted rookie will be a lock on the roster. He has impressed me with his pressure with the second team and he continues to hold his own at the line. Williams was a late-round hopeful and the 49ers picked up a steal when they signed. He will be a solid backup if he continues to play like this.

- TE Vernon Davis (#85)
The team's top aerial threat in a tight end-happy offense. Of course Davis would stand out and he has made his quarterbacks look good.

- WR Ronald Johnson (#88)
The rookie has shown solid hands and has emerged as a receiver worth taking note of throughout camp. His footwork has also been impressive, which could help elevate his chances of moving up the depth chart.

- LB Aldon Smith (#99)
Every day, Smith continues to impress with his pressure on the quarterback. And with his long arms, he bats down passes with ease. At this pace, he could very well earn himself a starting job soon and make fans forget about the last player to wear his number.

- Head coach Jim Harbaugh
During practices, he has punted the ball, caught the ball, thrown the ball, blocked on a running play and even played imitated a shutdown cornerback. His hands on approach has helped the players understand and engage into the new scheme.

BufFan71
08-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Shawne Merriman has been a stud for the Bills? Wow. Is it because their offensive line is incredibly weak, or what?

its not only him causing pressure in the backfield, but hes also been making impact plays, like recovering fumbles, tipped passes.

Our offensive line isnt as weak as the media thinks.

we are solid at every position except RG

phlysac
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Stud - Aldon Smith
It's been written about ad nauseum. I'm glade the article above mentioned others.

Dud - Taylor Mays
I have no confirmation of his failures on the field in camp, but he went from running with the 1st-team opening week, to now only getting partial reps with the 3rd team.

cvv84
08-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Studs:

B.J. Raji - Dominating in one on one drills

Randall Cobb (R) - Showing explosiveness early on

James Starks - Really coming on, looks better than Grant

Duds:

Brandon Underwood - Can't seem to take advantage of his opportunities

Charlie Peprah - Finished season as the starter but Morgan Burnett has been starting in camp

Lawrence Guy (R) - Tools are there but he's raw and a project

Guys who've vastly improved:

Bryan Bulaga - Looks alot better and stronger than last year. He beat the Claymaker a few times during one on ones

Erik Walden - Gives opposing tackles all he's got, could be a sleeper starter at OLB

Rookies to look out for:

Davon House (R) - Had really started to come on until a hamstring injury. Could be our dimeback this year with potential for more.

Derek Sherrod (R) - We're playing him at LG but he's a natural tackle. I think we have a keeper here.

Chris Campbell (R) - Playing OT for us, holding his own, a little project but could have come potential future to him.

vidae
08-07-2011, 12:06 PM
STUDS:

Eric Berry
Dexter McCluster
Jeremy Horne
Jon Asamoah

DUDS:

Tyson Jackson. Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. fml.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-07-2011, 12:07 PM
The Panthers media is hyping up Armanti Edwards

But the Panthers media is nothing more than a shill arm extension of the Panthers so I'm not sure what to read into that

V.I.P
08-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Studs: Mike Williams

Duds: Aqib Talib (probably still covering from hip injury, or Mike is to beastly)

billybeejr
08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Studs: Mike Williams

Duds: Aqib Talib (probably still covering from hip injury, or Mike is to beastly)

Talib is in camp? What happened to the murder charge? Wasn't he supposed to get suspended?

V.I.P
08-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Talib is in camp? What happened to the murder charge? Wasn't he supposed to get suspended?

Yes Talib is at camp, his trial is set for March '12. I'm thinking he can't get suspended till then right? Hopefully he gets acquitted :)

Hines
08-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Studs:

Baron Batch
Antonio Brown
Weslye Saunders
Stevenson Sylvester
Chris Carter

Duds:

Limas Sweed- Dude has been hurt all camp.

cmarq83
08-07-2011, 12:49 PM
It's already been mentioned, but Rob Gronkowski is dominating TC so far. He's been making everyone look like a fool, even our best DB's McCourty and Chung.

Here is some snippets from Training Camp Reports:

Rob Gronkowski continued to excel in the red zone, hauling in a couple touchdowns in the back right corner of the end zone from Brady. After each one he ran over to the Patriots Charitable Foundation tent in that area of the field and celebrated with a few high-fives with excited fans.

TE Rob Gronkowski, once again, was unguardable running pass routes against linebacker coverage. He ran great routes, got open with nice juke moves, and caught everything thrown his way, even with ‘backers sometimes draped all over him.

Gronkowski ran an up-and-out pattern from the right side, with linebacker Gary Guyton providing the tightest possible coverage. But Brady dropped a precision strike over Guyton’s head, which Gronk softly cradled to his body, leaving Guyton flailing on the ground. Gronk then turn upfield in front of the stands on the right sideline, drawing huge cheers from the masses. Would’ve been a gain of at least 40 yards, as safety Brandon Meriweather gave chase at the end.

Gronkowski was one of the biggest stars of the practice, displaying his incredible hands throughout the various red zone segments. In one red zone drill he almost toyed with Patrick Chung before beating him for the touchdown. At this very early point he looks ready to pick off where he left off as a rookie.

Rob Gronkowski dominated red zone drills. It seems that he and Tom Brady have picked up where they left off last year.

– TE Rob Gronkowski is a beast. Ask Gary Guyton or Dane Fletcher about that. Gronk crushed both with nasty blocks in drills. Considering how stellar he’s looked catching the ball, he could be primed for a huge year.

On more than one occasion there were some instances that caught the eye. One came when Rob Gronkowski, who has been the best player in camp thus far, absolutely buried defensive end Mark Anderson on a sweep. The tight end locked in on the newcomer, who was signed earlier in the day, knocking him back several yards before finishing with a pancake block that drew some cheers – both from the crowd and his offensive teammates. Gronk rose to his feet enthusiastically before receiving kudos from his fellow tight ends and receivers.

So yeah

Duds:
Jermaine Cunningham has been blocked by pretty much everyone. Not a good sign for an already severely lacking Patriots pass rush.

M.O.T.H.
08-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Younger Studs:

RB Felix Jones
RB Lonyae Miller
TE Martellus Bennett
WR Dez Bryant
WR Raymond Radway
WR Lyle Leong
OLB Victor Butler
OLB Brandon Williams
OLB Alex Albright

Veteran Studs:

NT Jay Ratliff
OLB Demarcus Ware
S Abram Elam

Duds:

K David Buehler (Terribly inconsistent from all distances)
WR Teddy Williams (Track guy, he's not a football player)
DB Terence Newman (Injured)
OT Sam Young (Potential swing tackle, who has been getting destroyed in camp)

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
08-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Dud: Vince Young - Has thrown multiple picks (including one to Nnamdi) and is just overall not looking very accurate. Again, granted, he's not playing with first string guys and he's new to the system but he just looks lost most of the time.

I hope the Eagles keep Kafka as their #2.

bornnraisedwhodat
08-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Went to Saints TC yesterday. Here are my observations of some of the rookies:

Studs:

Mark Ingram. The dude is a freakin tank out there. We havent had a back of his physicality since Duece in his prime. The kid is catching on fast and has been running with the 1's. He makes some decisive cuts and seems to love contact. Him and FS Malcolm Jenkins have been battling it out in the secondary. His immediate burst is amazing. I know his 40 time wasnt spectacular but when he comes through the hole he comes thru like a frieght train. He is showing some great vision and balance. If he remains healthy the guy could have an awesome year. Pierre Thomas is still the clear cut starter but look for Ingram to be the main bell cow.

Johnny Patrick CB: I am pleasantly suprised with how he has been in camp. He shows good ball awareness, great fluid hips, and has shown that he is capable of sticking his nose in there for the tackle, something that was a knock on hiim coming out of Louisville. Gregg Williams is throwing a lot at him so you can tell his head is spinning, but he is coming along very well considered this is the 1st week of TC. He has been running with the 1's and 2's since Tracy Porter is out with a knee.

Cam Jordan DE: He's only been in camp a few days, but watching makes me wonder how he fell to #24. Dude seems to be catching on fast and has been abusing some of the offensive linemen on the 2nd and 3rd teams. He shows good hustle getting to the ball, and is real physical once meeting the ball carrier. It will be interesting to see how he does when he works with more of the starters.

Jarred Fayson WR: We got him in UDFA, and this kid has done nothing but catch everything. He is physical and has run some crisp routes. Hes got a lot of praise from teammates and coaches. It will still be tough for him to crack a deep WR corps but if he excells in special teams, we will find a way to keep him on the 53.

Martez Wilson SLB: Gregg Williams has been all over Tez at camp, but that is a good thing. GW is hard on rookies and i imagine Tez's head is spinning right now. But just from an I test, I love what I see. The kid gets to the ball super fast and has some good read and reaction. He has surprisingly looked damn good in coverage and has shown a nack for the ball. I expect him to push hard for playing time.

Duds:

Greg Romeus DE: He hasnt practiced but that was expected with him rehabbing injuries.

Nate Bussey WLB: Special teams guy at best.

TitanHope
08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Studs: Rookie OLB Akeem Ayers has been a force, and has been the best LB in TC. In fact, it's him who has cemented himself as a starter (likely at SLB), and veterans in Will Witherspoon and Gerald McRath (both starters last year) are the ones battling it out for the WLB spot.

Duds: CB Cortland Finnegan and RB Chris Johnson - hold outs. As well as the interior OL, which has been getting beat by Jurrell Casey, a rookie 3rd RD pick.

V.I.P
08-07-2011, 04:00 PM
...or maybe Jurrell Casey is just a stud :D

DoughBoy
08-07-2011, 04:26 PM
...or maybe Jurrell Casey is just a stud :D

probably a little of both.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-07-2011, 05:51 PM

But the Panthers media is nothing more than a shill arm extension of the Panthers so I'm not sure what to read into that

As QB, receiver, or??

yo123
08-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I like how most people's studs list is like 3 times as long as their duds list, and all of the duds are injured.

Gotta love training camp.

Also-

Studs- Jaymar Johnson, Michael Jenkins, Jared Allen
Duds- Entire offensive line

Don Vito
08-07-2011, 05:57 PM
For the Patriots:

Studs: Taylor Price, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes

Dud: Jermaine Cunningham

Steven Ridley has looked very good, so did Vereen before he got banged up. Apparently Mankins has been a beast but that isn't shocking. Lee Smith has received good reviews as the #3 TE for a rookie.

Another dud is Brandon Tate.

Timbathia
08-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Doom was apparently unstoppable in a scrimmage on Saturday. At least the Broncos will have some pass rush this year with him back to full health.

Go_Eagles77
08-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I hope the Eagles keep Kafka as their #2.

I don't see that happening. Sure Young isn't looking all that good but he is a proven winner in the NFL, and that's why the eagles signed him. They need someone who can take the reigns of the offense for a game or 2 if (when) Vick gets dinged up and get some wins. Kafka hasn't proven that just yet.

JHL6719
08-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Every year team have players who break out with incredible training camp performances and players who flop like a fish out of water.

For the Raiders the past 3 years, Darren McFadden always made the defense look slow when running plays in shirts and no pads. He is up to more of the same this year. But he's now the TC stud of the year for the Raiders...

Stud: WR (5th round rookie) Denarious Moore is putting on a clinic so far in camp. Moore has not taken a day off as Raider TC Stud as he is constantly flying down the field for deep passes or coming across the middle on short routes. He may end up speeding his way into the starting lineup. If he and Ford start fir the Raiders, Oakland may have the fastest pair of starting WRs in the league.

Dud: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey Has been almost non-existent in training camp thus far. It took DHB a week just to get into camp and even after arriving in Napa he has hardly participated in any practices. According to Coach Jackson, the Raiders receiver has some form of an injury, but neither party will disclose the type or severity of the injury and beat writers in camp have not witnessed any limps, taped limbs or other signs of medical attention. After he was drafted number seven overall, this was the year DHB needed to step up. To this point the much maligned receiver has not taken the first steps toward a breakout year, thus earning the designation as the Raiders' TC Dud.

Who are the TC Studs and Duds for your teams?

That's awesome about DMac. How has Rolando McClain looked in camp so far? He was pretty much a rookie stud last year though wasn't he?

SuperMcGee
08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
its not only him causing pressure in the backfield, but hes also been making impact plays, like recovering fumbles, tipped passes.

Our offensive line isnt as weak as the media thinks.

we are solid at every position except RG

That could be a bit of an overstatement about our line. Nothing debatable about Urbik's awfulness, though.

Merriman has been really good in the early going. They're giving him a lot of rest, though.

hockey619
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I like how most people's studs list is like 3 times as long as their duds list, and all of the duds are injured.

Gotta love training camp.

noticed this as well haha people only see the good until you cant NOT see it when the games start up.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
As QB, receiver, or??

receiver/ST guy

he's easily the 2nd best QB on the team though

Pat Sims 90
08-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Stud: AJ Green
Nobody in Bengals camp has been able to cover him 1 on 1 and has made some Randy Moss type grabs.

Dud: Bruce Gradkowski
Andy Dalton has out played Gradkowski in Camp. Dalton also looks like he has a better arm. Gradkowski basically lost out on starting job with his play.

Raiderz4Life
08-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Its been known since...day 1? That Bruce had meh arm strength

Pat Sims 90
08-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Its been known since...day 1? That Bruce had meh arm strength

Yea i when i was at TC i saw a 30 yrd pass to AJ Green he made which he basically had to stand there and wind up just to get pass 20 yrds. Dalton has surprised me with his arm strengh. Dalton has made some really nice deep throws in TC.

M.O.T.H.
08-08-2011, 12:33 AM
noticed this as well haha people only see the good until you cant NOT see it when the games start up.

Well, the majority of us arent actually attending camp. So we can only go by what we read. The names I put down, are just the names that continually come up through the media. Luckilly, the Dallas Cowboys camp is the most heavily covered TC in the league, so we have multiple souces to go by. But still, TC camp doesnt equate to live action success in games. But it def. goes a long way torward winning a roster spot and such. Right now, we have a bunch of young guys turning heads...hopefully they'll show something in preseason.

OzTitan
08-08-2011, 06:29 AM
Jared Cook, Ayers, Casey and Damian Williams are apparently doing pretty well so far for the Titans.

Britt is a dud - concerns about a hammy injury yet again keeping him out, which has been a reaccuring theme for him and training camps. I get the feeling he is going to be a career hammy-injury guy.

JBCX
08-08-2011, 10:26 AM
AJ Green is so beastly. Easily #1 favorite to be offensive rookie of the year, imho, if the QB play in Cinci is at least competent.

BloodBrother
08-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Studs:

Duds:

Charlie Peprah - Finished season as the starter but Morgan Burnett has been starting in camp

Bryan Bulaga - Looks alot better and stronger than last year. He beat the Claymaker a few times during one on ones

Erik Walden - Gives opposing tackles all he's got, could be a sleeper starter at OLB

Rookies to look out for:

Davon House (R) - Had really started to come on until a hamstring injury. Could be our dimeback this year with potential for more.

Derek Sherrod (R) - We're playing him at LG but he's a natural tackle. I think we have a keeper here.

Chris Campbell (R) - Playing OT for us, holding his own, a little project but could have come potential future to him.

to add to this, rookie TE D.J. Williams has been doing great so far to. Always reading about how great his hands have been and how good he is with his route running. Another stud so far has been OT Marshall Newhouse who has probably made the most progress from year 1 to year 2. Has done an excellent job at LT and doing very well in his 1-on-1's.

K Train
08-08-2011, 11:28 AM
im 400 miles away and im afraid of lawrence timmons covering enough ground and hurting me

Da-Phins
08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Studs-

Jimmy Wilson- He's always around the ball making big time hits. Gonna be a beast. And if you all dont know his story you need to check it out.

Clyde Gates- That boy can flat out fly. I expect sometime next year people will be hearing his name alot.

Paul Soliai- He's killing the OL. Dude is gonna be a top NT by the time the season is over.

Duds-

Chad Henne- But to his defense, he has been playing alot better in the last few practice but we will see if he can keep it up. He still over/under throws alot.

Marc Colombo- Seems like every day he is giving up a sack or allowing a D-lineman to push him back. The worst thing is he is expected to be our starting RT. ****!

Sean Smith- I may be hating on him more then he deserves but I keep reading how he keeps getting roasted by the WR's and Reggie Bush ran over him on one run leaving him laying on his back. Dude needs to man up and play physical.

The backup QB's- None of them have shined or made you say wow. They all been struggling.

V.I.P
08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Studs-
Sean Smith- I may be hating on him more then he deserves but I keep reading how he keeps getting roasted by the WR's and Reggie Bush ran over him on one run leaving him laying on his back. Dude needs to man up and play physical.

How has Bush looked overall?

bucfan12
08-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Studs:

Duds:

Rookies to look out for:

Ahh crap... i didn't know the Pack drafted Davon House. That guy was on my 'steal' list of DBs in this years draft. Crap. I liked him as a prospect and think he's going to be something special for them.

Da-Phins
08-08-2011, 03:26 PM
How has Bush looked overall?

He's been having a good camp. He's had some nice runs and he has turned a few 5 yard checkdown passes to 20 yard gains. Def love his speed and the versatility he bring to the offense. I was afraid this dumbass coaching staff wouldnt use him the same way Saints did but so far so good. I read an article recently where he said he's going in this season with a more physical mindset. Dunno if thats good or bad with him being so damn injury prone. But anyway yeah cant complain much with him.

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Doom was apparently unstoppable in a scrimmage on Saturday. At least the Broncos will have some pass rush this year with him back to full health.

This.

Denver Bronocs

Studs:
DE Elvis Dumervil- Instead of tearing his own muscles, he is tearing up our offensive line. Recorded multiple sacks so far, allegedly put on 15 pounds of muscle for the switch back from OLB to DE.

WR Brandon Lloyd - Denver's top performer on offense by far. For you fantasy guys, he is in absolutely no danger of putting up anything less than 900 yards this year, barring injury. Even in this run oriented John Fox offense.

TE Julius Thomas- Listed last on the depth chart that was released in the last 48 hours, but clearly our most gifted pass catcher at TE. For as good as he is in the passing game, he as a way to go with the whole blocking thing. Let's not forget TE is a multi-faceted position.

Duds:

QB Tim Tebow. I am so sick of this dude. You would be too if you patrolled the Orange Mane forums. Too many Tebow apologists insisting that he will be able to play well, and that he's just not a practice performer. I've got news for you Timmy, you aren't on an Iverson level yet. Earn your spot, or at least prove you're better than Brady Quinn

DE- Jason Hunter. A solid contributor last year at OLB. Unexpected starter for a few games who even had a long fumble recovery for a TD. Looks like he will fall victim to the switch back to the 4-3. Seems out of position, although I believe he was a DE back in Detroit. 90% chance he will be cut, unless he can usurp Derrick Harvey for the #4 DE spot.

S- Brian Dawkins. It is almost a certainty that the one time pro-bowler will be nixed on obvious passing downs. Dawkins may still be an asset in run coverage, but it is clear that his best days are behind him.

CB- Perrish Cox As good as gone, especially since new coach John Fox has no ties to him. With some serious allegations and some serious lack of production, it looks like he will be either last on the depth chart or gonzo.

Go_Eagles77
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Clyde Gates- That boy can flat out fly. I expect sometime next year people will be hearing his name alot.

Edmond Gates changed his name to Clyde? haha

Da-Phins
08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Edmond Gates changed his name to Clyde? haha

Yeah I dont get it either but whatever. As long as he makes big plays I dont care what his name is. It could be Sally for all I care.

FUNBUNCHER
08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Skins:

Studs;

DE Jarvis Jenkins - embarrassing Olinemen with his bull rush, there's talk he could be a starter as a rookie. Almost unblockable one on one.

OT Trent Williams - came in leaner, even quicker and regularly stones guys like Orakpo, etc. in pass rush drills. Loves to drive guys down into the dirt.

QB Kellen Clemons - Quietly outplaying Rexy and Beck. Stronger arm than both. 'Nuff said.

WR Leonard Hankerson - At times you think he has a little Michael Irvin in his game. Potential starter Week One.

DUDS;

WR Malcolm Kelly - Hurt his footsie. Out of practice for a week. May be cut before the season starts.

K Train
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
clemons has a bigger arm that grossman? id be surprised, at the very least grossman could always chuck it

descendency
08-08-2011, 09:59 PM

I'd hope so, because giving up pick 34 (Ras-I Dowling) for Amanti Edwards was insane.

edit: I've read different things on Brandon Tate... Both good and bad.

SuperMcGee
08-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Looking good: Johnny White knows where to go when running with the ball, hitting holes quick and following blocks nicely. Should have no problem becoming the 3rd running back, as he was projected to be.

Looking bad: Terrence McGee. Seems like he can't play on the outside anymore. Been getting shuffled around a bit now and will likely be overtaken by Aaron Williams sooner than later.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
08-08-2011, 11:04 PM
clemons has a bigger arm that grossman? id be surprised, at the very least grossman could always chuck it

Who can forget this...

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/im-goin-deep-fan-club.jpg

dannyz
08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
This.

Denver Bronocs
Duds:

QB Tim Tebow. I am so sick of this dude. You would be too if you patrolled the Orange Mane forums. Too many Tebow apologists insisting that he will be able to play well, and that he's just not a practice performer. I've got news for you Timmy, you aren't on an Iverson level yet. Earn your spot, or at least prove you're better than Brady Quinn

The QB Problem is going to be there all Year Long. Orton will Start and if he has one bad Game the Fans and the Media will want Tebow to Start but when everyone finds out Tebow Sucks Orton will be the QB Again. I think the Best thing for the Broncos do do is get Rid of Both, Draft Andrew Luck and be Done with the QB Position for the Next 15 Years.

49erNation85
08-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Tebow tebow tebow !!!!

Ness
08-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Who can forget this...

http://www.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/im-goin-deep-fan-club.jpg

LOL. Hilarious.

M.O.T.H.
08-09-2011, 12:21 AM
I heard my boy, Cliff Matthews, has been very solid with the Falcons.

Any word on Tori Gurley and the Packers?

BloodBrother
08-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Haven't really heard much on him. He hasn't really stood out. Read about this today during their practice

Skill position players did a drill that had WRs and RBs catch a short pass, turn to receive pad hits from linemen, then plow through dummies and finish with high steps. Only WRs Brett Swain and Tori Gurley were felled by the linemen. Gurley, especially for his size, has looked timid often during camp.

been hearing far more from the other WR's like Chastin West, Diondre Borel, Cobb and Shaky Smithson. Gurley will need to step up if he is gonna crack the roster or even make the PS

RaiderNation
08-09-2011, 02:40 AM
DHB according to reports had a good practice today, only dropping 1 ball. Hopefully he can turn it on this season, he had a few decent games last year. Always will remember this catch by him last year

vUT3zFWyDBk

edit: also if any Seahawks fans see this, have fun with Gallery he got beat bad on this play. Luckily Campbell was able to move in the pocket

bam bam
08-09-2011, 03:18 AM
Stud: Arthur Jones, Jah Reid

Dud: Matt Birk (Done for?)

Ngata has dropped 25 lbs and not lost any power. Mount Cody down to 350 or so and doing well.

Matthew Jones
08-09-2011, 08:05 AM
I've heard good things about Arthur Jones. Is he still with the first team ahead of Redding?

The Alex
08-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Welcome to my world for the past five years.

killxswitch
08-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Colts

Studs

Tommie Harris - Gets into the backfield often, looks very fast off the snap, and has been making the OL look stupid. Not hard to do right now though. If he can stay healthy he should start at undertackle.

Ernie Sims - He was made to play in the Colts D. Has made several huge hits in coverage, knocking the ball out just as it arrives at the receiver. Just had his appendix removed but he should be good to go before the start of the season. He will likely start at WLB.

Justin Tryon - I don't know why the coaches are screwing around with Jacob Lacey taking 1st team snaps but it is obvious Tryon is the better player. He will start opposite Jerraud Powers, might slide to slot coverage depending on matchup but he should be the CB2 for sure. Fast, gets good position in coverage to swat the ball away, hits hard, just a good player. Great FA signing.

Up and down

Drake Nevis, Jerry Hughes - Both players have made OLmen look slow and fat, and both have in turn gotten stonewalled. Need more consistency, especially from Hughes since he is a 2nd year player. Nevis might be a good player but I don't expect a ton from him as a rook.

Pierre Garcon - he worked with Manning a lot during the lockout (supposedly) so his routes look better, but there've been conflicting reports about improved hands vs. still dropping too many balls.

Curtis Painter - One day he looks calm and delivers a strong pass, the next he gets jumpy under pressure and looks like Curtis Painter again.

Duds

Entire OL - The rookies look like rookies, especially going against our speed rushers. Our other OLmen look old or just not very good. I am not concerned yet but these guys need to figure their **** out quick.

Jacob Lacey - I keep reading he is either burned on a play or he gets called for interference/holding. CB3 at best, I hope Kevin Thomas or Chris Rucker unseats him.

DiG
08-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Hightower really impressing. Has officially been named starter. Gomes is playing well and should earn the backup safety spot at worst since Horton seems to be struggling consistency in comparison. Also like what I'm hearing about Chris Neild.

K Train
08-09-2011, 10:18 AM
about Chris Neild.
Went to my rival highschool. I played basketball with him a few times and played against him as a freshman. blocking him was an uphill battle

DeepThreat
08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Studs

Evan Moore - He's catching everything and is freakishly tall. Can play WR and TE.

Shawn Lauvao - Doing a really good job getting a push of the line of scrimmage.

Jayme Mitchell - A bit of an unknown, but none of the RT's can block him. Good size, burst and athleticism.

Jabaal Sheard - Has shown really good burst and almost beat JT once.

Joe Haden - He's kinda good.

Duds

Montario Hardesty - It seems like he isn't recovered from his torn ACL yet.

Brian Robiskie - He doesn't seem to do anything. Makes no plays.

Greg Little - Way too many drops. Seems like he's still thinking too much after not playing last year.

Mohamed Massaquoi - Hurt; isn't good.

K Train
08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
thats hilarious that he can be a camp stud for almost beat joe thomas once haha

Malaka
08-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Hightower really impressing. Has officially been named starter. Gomes is playing well and should earn the backup safety spot at worst since Horton seems to be struggling consistency in comparison. Also like what I'm hearing about Chris Neild.

I remember when he was awesome his rookie year, and people were calling him a potential rookie of the year. What happened lol. I thought he was going to be good.

fear the elf
08-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Studs

Evan Moore - He's catching everything and is freakishly tall. Can play WR and TE.

Shawn Lauvao - Doing a really good job getting a push of the line of scrimmage.

Jayme Mitchell - A bit of an unknown, but none of the RT's can block him. Good size, burst and athleticism.

Joe Haden - He's kinda good.

Duds

Montario Hardesty - It seems like he isn't recovered from his torn ACL yet.

Brian Robiskie - He doesn't seem to do anything. Makes no plays.

Greg Little - Way too many drops. Seems like he's still thinking too much after not playing last year.

Mohamed Massaquoi - Hurt; isn't good.

Was just about to post most of those. Where did you read about Jayme Mitchell? I haven't seen anything about him yet.

From what I've heard, I would put Greg Little as more of a 'Up and Down' guy. He's catching a ton of TD's one day and dropping 2-3 balls the next. He needs to be more consistent.

bam bam
08-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I've heard good things about Arthur Jones. Is he still with the first team ahead of Redding?

I think they are spending a lot of time rotating that spot

SolidGold
08-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Chris Neild was a steal in the 7th. He is perfect for the 3-4. I hope he makes the final 53. He can serve as Cofield's understudy for a few years and be a rotational guy. With a year of NFL strength training under his belt he might be one of the better d-lineman from the 2011 draft class.

Go_Eagles77
08-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Ernie Sims - He was made to play in the Colts D. Has made several huge hits in coverage, knocking the ball out just as it arrives at the receiver. Just had his appendix removed but he should be good to go before the start of the season. He will likely start at WLB.
Sims was a stud in TC for us last year too, then the games started and he was terrible.

keylime_5
08-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't think Robiskie is a dud at all in training camp.

from Daniel Wolf:

Brian Robiskie, WR

"-Not sure why everyone is on the "hate" bandwagon for Robiskie, especially since I see progress from him. He even beat cornerback Joe Haden on a nifty double-move toward the sideline to catch a nice pass from Colt McCoy this morning.

-He is crisp and his route running is the most precise of any of the other Browns receivers on the roster.

-My two cents is to say to not believe all this "hate" and he looks like the most polished receiver on this roster."

He came on at the end of 2010 and looked really good down the stretch. Made a great diving touchdown catch at the Family Day scrimmage too.

V.I.P
08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
How has Kareem Jackson looked so far, Houston fans?

NotRickJames
08-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Denarius Moore has been turning heads at Raiders camp.

Not really surprised, I loved the pick.