PDA

View Full Version : VONTAZE BURFICT-Locker Room Assault

DBNYDP
08-08-2011, 02:14 AM
http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/erickson-hiding-asu-stars-locker-room-assault-29809

Really surprised no one else has brought this up.

I liked Vontaze but this is kind of ridiculous, he might be too much of a psycho for me.

Thecollegedropout
08-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Was this the defensive player last year who had like 2 late hits(Albeit they were bad calls) that cost ASU the game vs the Trojans last year?

Duffman57
08-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Was this the defensive player last year who had like 2 late hits(Albeit they were bad calls) that cost ASU the game vs the Trojans last year?

Most likely.

He's a good kid, and i know this from personal connections, and is not a bad person at all (so spare the "he needs help" and "think of him with big money" comments). But this guy goes absolutly NUTS on the field, and has zero control. He just absolutely loses his head on the field, and in the process, loses all sense of control and and is just reckless on the field. Again, he's not no problems off the field, so he's not a headcase like Maualuga off the field, but he needs to be REALLY coached up to NOT do that on the field, and that may lose him a LOT of spots in the draft.

Thecollegedropout
08-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Oops sorry that was vs Stanford.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2010/11/13/20101113asu-vontaze-burfict-mistakes.html

With Stanford at the ASU 35-yard line, Luck completed a short pass to Doug Baldwin, but a flag was thrown and controversial linebacker Burfict was tagged with a facemask.

The replay suggests it was a questionable call.

I get his frustration. But then he has to open his yapper and the official slaps him with an unsportsmanlike penalty.

"Apparently Vontaze said something about not being a facemask," coach Dennis Erickson said.

The back-to-back penalties gave Stanford first and goal at the ASU 7-yard line. Two plays later, the Cardinal were in the end zone on a 1-yard Owen Marecic run with 5:15 remaining in the game.

Stanford took the lead for good.

It was equally head-scratching that Burfict stayed in the game after the personal foul. Erickson explained afterward that the team "had some issues depth-wise . . . and we didn't have anybody to put in, basically."

And yeah he seems like a very good talent but he loses his cool way too often on the field as you said. I just remember him from that Stanford game where he was just going nuts over a bad call and was compounding it by getting in the face of the ref.

yo123
08-08-2011, 02:55 AM
According to the comments at the bottom that story is ********.

hawkeye123
08-08-2011, 02:59 AM
This is an extremely exaggerated story. It makes it sound like Burfict almost killed someone. No evidence, no penalty, total BS.

If Burfict really sucker punched someone 50 pounds lighter then him i guarantee that player wouldn't be practicing any time soon.

TitanHope
08-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Not saying this isn't true, or that Burfict isn't a psycho, but I've learned not to trust SportsByBrooks for anything more than chicks with big boobs.

K Train
08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
i really think this is BS but i cant wait to see taze go nuts on the field again, hes just a delight to watch

tjsunstein
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Source is suspect and Erickson hasn't said anything about it. Doubt anything comes of it. Terrible journalism, really.

niel89
08-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Oops sorry that was vs Stanford.

And yeah he seems like a very good talent but he loses his cool way too often on the field as you said. I just remember him from that Stanford game where he was just going nuts over a bad call and was compounding it by getting in the face of the ref.

I remember this game too. It was an incredibly close game the entire time and losing his cool directly caused his team to lose. I understand that you're upset over a call but his temper can really hurt the team. He is extremely talented but teams will be turned off by his attitude and lack of discipline.

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Greatness at the linebacker position has no cookie cutter mold, but career debilitating failure due to character issues certainly does, and vontaze fits perfectly.

I was pretty sure this kid could be special, but I doubt he will ever be able to overcome these personal problems. He has the talent of a future pro bowler, the potential to be one of the best linebackers of this era, but an ever larger potential to end up behind bars or destroying a locker room.

TACKLE
08-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Greatness at the linebacker position has no cookie cutter mold, but career debilitating failure due to character issues certainly does, and vontaze fits perfectly.

I was pretty sure this kid could be special, but I doubt he will ever be able to overcome these personal problems. He has the talent of a future pro bowler, the potential to be one of the best linebackers of this era, but an ever larger potential to end up behind bars or destroying a locker room.

What the hell are you basing this on???

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Where the hell are you basing this on???

do you want me to pull up link after link after link on his character issues, videos on youtube sucker punching people, etc? the fact that he is just about as notorious for his shenanigans and terrible behavior as he is for his play, and that is remarkable considering how good he could be.

if you want to say that you have the film to prove that he's going to be a pro bowler, i counter with the fact that i have the film to prove that he has major character concerns. i'm no dr phil, but he is exhibiting symptoms of an angry, angry, troubled dude. many of those dudes end up in prison. i don't see why that's so unreasonable, or why it seems like im basing it off of nothing.

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 06:45 PM
to extend on that... more often than not, dudes with his lack of maturity end up either never amounting to anything or destroying locker rooms. and perhaps, as a last line of failure, in prison. with the amount if immaturity he has shown, i'd say he has better odds of being a locker room nuisance (or even in prison, dude is clearly a violent guy) than he does of having a pro bowl career in which he really stays out of trouble. that being said, i dont wish failure on him, im just calling it as i see it.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-08-2011, 07:02 PM
do you want me to pull up link after link after link on his character issues, videos on youtube sucker punching people, etc? the fact that he is just about as notorious for his shenanigans and terrible behavior as he is for his play, and that is remarkable considering how good he could be.

if you want to say that you have the film to prove that he's going to be a pro bowler, i counter with the fact that i have the film to prove that he has major character concerns. i'm no dr phil, but he is exhibiting symptoms of an angry, angry, troubled dude. many of those dudes end up in prison. i don't see why that's so unreasonable, or why it seems like im basing it off of nothing.

I would, if you don't mind. Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't heard anything about this or seen any punches, so I have no idea what you're referencing.

Just fmi.

TACKLE
08-08-2011, 07:07 PM
So really your basing this off an article on a website that has zero credibility and no known sources and the fact that he's a very aggressive and violent football player? The same guy who's a very quiet guy off the field, who doesn't drink and doesn't smoke and is spoken very highly of by his teammates and coaches? Yet somehow you feel comfortbal predicting that someone you've never met, never known anyone who has met him, and someone you've barely seen any interviews of is more likely to become a dangerous criminal or locker room cancer than a successful NFL football player. Really? SMH.

Hines
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Burfict is a straight badass. I want him as a Steeler.

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I would, if you don't mind. Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't heard anything about this or seen any punches, so I have no idea what you're referencing.

Just fmi.

C2lUsCay2Ro
CpnOz8Q_lJo

b_jDyvvg4MY
zqzXcGq8-0I

edit: pretty sure that's just from one game too.

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 07:30 PM
So really your basing this off an article on a website that has zero credibility and no known sources and the fact that he's a very aggressive and violent football player?

As it turns out, you were right to say that website has 0 credibility. The accusations are apparently false. But do you really think that is the full basis of my beef with Burfict? Get real. Dude CLEARLY has a storied past of being a complete goon. I cited that in my previous posts.

The same guy who's a very quiet guy off the field, who doesn't drink and doesn't smoke and is spoken very highly of by his teammates and coaches? Yet somehow you feel comfortbal predicting that someone you've never met, never known anyone who has met him, and someone you've barely seen any interviews of is more likely to become a dangerous criminal or locker room cancer than a successful NFL football player. Really?

Yes.

There's a reason head coach Dennis Ericson has been asked question after question about Vontaze's Maturity. There's a reason he's been disciplined and benched by his coach before. There's a reason pretty much every nfl draft expert with an ounce of credibility will cite character issues under the "Notes" section of their reports. There is a reason he gets an unusually high number of personal foul calls against him. There is a reason he got in an altercation with teammate, althought it is clear it is not an assault at this point.

But you're right. He doesn't smoke, drink, and his teammates and coach speak highly of his football talent, so there's no way he could be a locker room nuisance or a criminal. It's ridiculous that I could possibly ever think he is destined for trouble. I have no basis for thinking of such an asinine thing.

I will admit, it's reassuring to see that everyone says he seems to be maturing.

never known anyone who has met him
edit: I went to high school and was somewhere between a friend and an acquaintance with Jarrid Bryant, Vontaze's friend and teammate. The irony of you bringing up "assumptions" put a smile on my face.

D-Unit
08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Just getting ready for his stock to fall because of character issues only to see him land on the Ravens or Steelers and go on to be one of the most bad ass LBs in the league for over a decade.

Duffman57
08-08-2011, 07:55 PM
As it turns out, you were right to say that website has 0 credibility. The accusations are apparently false. But do you really think that is the full basis of my beef with Burfict? Get real. Dude CLEARLY has a storied past of being a complete goon. I cited that in my previous posts.

Yes.

There's a reason head coach Dennis Ericson has been asked question after question about Vontaze's Maturity. There's a reason he's been disciplined and benched by his coach before. There's a reason pretty much every nfl draft expert with an ounce of credibility will cite character issues under the "Notes" section of their reports. There is a reason he gets an unusually high number of personal foul calls against him. There is a reason he got in an altercation with teammate, althought it is clear it is not an assault at this point.

But you're right. He doesn't smoke, drink, and his teammates and coach speak highly of his football talent, so there's no way he could be a locker room nuisance or a criminal. It's ridiculous that I could possibly ever think he is destined for trouble. I have no basis for thinking of such an asinine thing.

I will admit, it's reassuring to see that everyone says he seems to be maturing.

edit: I went to high school and was somewhere between a friend and an acquaintance with Jarrid Bryant, Vontaze's friend and teammate. The irony of you bringing up "assumptions" put a smile on my face.

Name one instance where he has had any trouble off the field. Name one instance where he has every been accused of anything even REMOTELY bad off the field.

Yes, the guy goes bat$#!+ crazy on the field, and forgets everything he's ever learned. But thats all he's guilty of.

And LOL at your attempt to make him look bad. The first one wasn't even close to a punch. It was a move to get the guy off him when he was blocking him trying to push him over the pile after the play, so he pushed his hands off. The second was mroe of a punch, but there's no penalty for a guy throwing a punch to the arms of a blocker while trying to get off him. The last two were just aggression, and frustration getting the best of him, and while illegal, lets not act like either of those were actually going to hurt anybody. That was a pretty soft headbutt and the second was something that happens on almost every play, he just has a bad rep for it, so he's gonna get crap for it. Those were some weak cases for being immature and a headcase.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-08-2011, 08:01 PM
C2lUsCay2Ro
CpnOz8Q_lJo

b_jDyvvg4MY
zqzXcGq8-0I

edit: pretty sure that's just from one game too.

Eh, he's definitely more aggressive than he needs to be an a hothead, but other than the headbutt, I think he was just way too into the game.

The first two, I wouldn't deem punches, especially the first one. The second looked to me like a very violent attempt at removing the opponents arm from his chest, but I'd have no problem calling it a punch though.

The facemask, I agree on.

Thx for the vids.

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Name one instance where he has had any trouble off the field. Name one instance where he has every been accused of anything even REMOTELY bad off the field.

the one where he got in a scuffle with his own teammate in the locker room...

Yes, the guy goes bat$#!+ crazy on the field, and forgets everything he's ever learned. But thats all he's guilty of.

looks like it's starting to leak to the locker room!

And LOL at your attempt to make him look bad. The first one wasn't even close to a punch. It was a move to get the guy off him when he was blocking him trying to push him over the pile after the play, so he pushed his hands off. The second was mroe of a punch, but there's no penalty for a guy throwing a punch to the arms of a blocker while trying to get off him. The last two were just aggression, and frustration getting the best of him, and while illegal, lets not act like either of those were actually going to hurt anybody. That was a pretty soft headbutt and the second was something that happens on almost every play, he just has a bad rep for it, so he's gonna get crap for it. Those were some weak cases for being immature and a headcase.

wasn't my attempt, it was some youtube dude's. I'm just pulling up what I see. All I know is there's a reason these videos exist. There is a reason I can't pull up videos like this for other players. Guess what? You can't let frustration get the best of you. You can't get aggressive like that. All I know is any time somebody

1. Gets in scuffles with teammates
2. Constantly trash talks
3. Appears to have no respect for his opponent
4. constantly makes poor decisions on the field

he is a prime choice to be a lockerroom cancer.

also:
4. What is a soft headbutt? it's still a freakin headbutt. idiot move.
5. That was from one game, that's absurd.
6. Tell me, why does he have a bad rep for things like that? Media out to get him, right?

hawkeye123
08-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Just cause he loses his temper on the field doesn't mean he's a bad person or a lockerroom cancer.

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Just cause he loses his temper on the field doesn't mean he's a bad person or a lockerroom cancer.

I don't think he's a bad person. I do think that he will develop into a cancer if he continues to get in altercations with teammates and continues to perform actions that reflect the stupid things he does on the field.

etk
08-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Character concerns or no he's still the 4th best eligible LB prospect for this year's draft. The amount of hype he gets on this site is hilarious considering how there are (much) more complete and more consistent LBs that get little attention. I guess recruiting ranking and hitting power are the 2 most important traits in a LB...

K Train
08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
i look at those vids and get fired up, thats a LB i want on my team

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM

EwJCYhOdazE
personally, i think it's plays like this that really show his mean streak and his beastliness. I have no problem with him playing like Ray-Ray Lewis, just do it during the whistle, within the rules and we're cool. I don't know why you'd want a linebacker on your team who gets called for just about a 15 yard penalty a game, I do know why you'd want this kid if he could curb his anger or channel it between the snap and his jackhammering the ball carrier into the ground.

hawkeye123
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't think he's a bad person. I do think that he will develop into a cancer if he continues to get in altercations with teammates and continues to perform actions that reflect the stupid things he does on the field.

I don't get why you think he gets into altercations with teammates. That article is total BS. From everything i have heard about ASU, Burfict is a respected team leader. I have never seen evidence of him having problems with his teammates.

But seriously how could you not want this guy on your team?

K Train
08-08-2011, 08:54 PM
that hit is brilliant

Jimmy
08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't get why you think he gets into altercations with teammates. That article is total BS. From everything i have heard about ASU, Burfict is a respected team leader. I have never seen evidence of him having problems with his teammates.

I think he gets into altercations with teammates because he does. His head coach confirmed it, albiet downplayed it.

"I've been in 38-40 camps in my coaching career," Erickson said. "Things like that happen on the field, tempers, and sometimes unfortunately they carry off the field, not very often but that happens. That's not anything unusual. Because it was Vontaze obviously it was reported the way it was reported."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/08/arizona-state-vontaze-burfict-fight-teammate/1

Obviously this is a case of a blog nobody embellishing, but there as nonetheless some sort of altercation. Things like that do happen, as Erickson said.... although, not very often. It just so happens, hey... it's Vontaze doing the action. Coincidence or not, I choose to believe it wasn't a coincidence that Vontaze was involved.

But seriously how could you not want this guy on your team?

Believe me, I told a friend of mine just a month ago that if this kid straightens out, he's on the same level as P-Willy or Ray Lewis one day. Give me him on my Broncos any day if he can go a whole season with less than 3 personal fouls and no more issues from here on out.

I just don't like the investment of paying a kid millions not knowing if he is going to snap or do something crazy, choke an opposing player. And I think he's headed in the complete wrong direction, hence my comments before on how I think he's got a better shot to be a cancer or end up in prison then be a star. Players in the NFL are kings of instigation, you'd best believe that Burfict's blood will boil to a point of no return if he takes his current mentality into the big leagues.

Hines
08-08-2011, 08:58 PM

Goddell would have fun with he and Harrison out there knocking heads off. haha

Off The Grid
08-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Bryan.

Cox.

Big Bird
08-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Character concerns or no he's still the 4th best eligible LB prospect for this year's draft. The amount of hype he gets on this site is hilarious considering how there are (much) more complete and more consistent LBs that get little attention. I guess recruiting ranking and hitting power are the 2 most important traits in a LB...
It frustrates me very much as well.

I don't get how many linebackers like Burfict, or Rey, need to come along for people to get it. These guys play with no discipline on the field, constantly miss tackles, and constantly get themselves out of position. Guys with top instincts and the ability to consistently get themselves in the right position and finish plays are the ones that last in the NFL.

Burfict plays out of control, and that isn't good. I don't get why people think that's a good thing. He can hit like a truck. Who cares? Honestly, who really cares because a few big hits aren't what win games. Not letting up big yards is how you win games, and you do that by reading plays correctly and getting yourself into position to end them.

bullg8rdaddy
08-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Intimidation is underrated.

PACKmanN
08-09-2011, 11:10 AM
the only question i have about him is if he can fulfill the mental role of the ILB in the NFL. Is he able to read offenses and such...

K Train
08-09-2011, 11:18 AM
he has great instincts and just because hes out of his mind doesnt make him dumb, im sure he'll be able to read defenses and make calls. he just plays like a wrecking ball

Big Bird
08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
he has great instincts and just because hes out of his mind doesnt make him dumb, im sure he'll be able to read defenses and make calls. he just plays like a wrecking ball
You're just making assumptions now.

Maybe people should actually try to watch his play. These are the same exact comments people made about Rey Rey before his Senior season. Instincts don't just come to you. Burfict hasn't shown he has them yet.

I know Scouts see the same thing I do, so I can't wait until Burfict doesn't go in the 1st Round, which ever draft class he is in.

FUNBUNCHER
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
That kid from BC makes nearly TWICE as many tackles as Burfict does.

I won't say necessarily that Burfict is overrated, but he is overhyped.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I want him to be a Raider. Prototypical Raiders LB lol

Saints-Tigers
08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Rey Maualuga was nothing like Burfict, I'm sick of that comparison.

Aggression=/=out of control, the dude makes impact plays and sniffs out stuff really well.

You can have the guy piling up tackles downfield, I'll take Burfict andwatch him smash through linemen and blow up plays in the backfield, or clear pathways for teammates.

ElectricEye
08-09-2011, 05:44 PM
That kid from BC makes nearly TWICE as many tackles as Burfict does.

I won't say necessarily that Burfict is overrated, but he is overhyped.

>Tackles
>meaning anything

Pick one.

I'm not trying to discount Kuechly at all, but tackle stats count for fantasy football and not much else. Yes, this is coming from both someone who follows BC football pretty closely and a Patriots fan who gets to hear people constantly overrate Jerod Mayo based on tackle numbers. Of course you want someone who can find the ball at a good clip, but more often than not you end up with guys like Stephen Tulloch at the top of tackle lists because they're fast, play on bad defenses, and compile.

I'll take a guy who make 40 less tackles and legitimately impacts the game over a guy who runs around and piles up assists any day of the week. It's rarer and rarer these days that you see someone who causes you to have to gameplan differently from the linebacker spot these days. Burfict can do that.

K Train
08-09-2011, 05:51 PM
this isnt maualuga or spikes that they are a big, kinda slow MLB with pretty good instincts to make up for it. taze lays everything out on the field, has closing speed and makes the big play while scaring the **** out of the opponent. the man is briliant in traffic, and not in a slippery way hes blows up the life of offensive lineman.

my man love for him comes in that i think he would be PERFECT next to timmons, the two would compliment each other so well with their playing styles, not so much that i think hes the greatest thing ever...scheme wise, for me, its a match made in heaven...so would teo though, LK not so much but i love kuechly on the giants or lions though

tjsunstein
08-09-2011, 07:31 PM
The more I watch highlights of Burfict, the less his maturity that Erickson praises actually shows. For every big hit, there's a negative whether it be a personal foul penalty, or refusal to come out of the game because of a personal foul.

DBNYDP
08-09-2011, 08:01 PM
If it is false then a mod might as well close this. I just want to make it clear that I have nothing against Vontaze, I was just posting an article that someone sent me that I thought might be legitimate. If it isn't true then I still have a crush on this guy. He has great intangibles, great athleticism, and from what I've seen pretty good instincts. He definitely makes some mistakes but that is expected from any prospect and I still think this guy can be a great MLB for a team though I think he would be much better as a 3-4 TED.

etk
08-09-2011, 09:10 PM
>Tackles
>meaning anything

Pick one.

I'm not trying to discount Kuechly at all, but tackle stats count for fantasy football and not much else. Yes, this is coming from both someone who follows BC football pretty closely and a Patriots fan who gets to hear people constantly overrate Jerod Mayo based on tackle numbers. Of course you want someone who can find the ball at a good clip, but more often than not you end up with guys like Stephen Tulloch at the top of tackle lists because they're fast, play on bad defenses, and compile.

I'll take a guy who make 40 less tackles and legitimately impacts the game over a guy who runs around and piles up assists any day of the week. It's rarer and rarer these days that you see someone who causes you to have to gameplan differently from the linebacker spot these days. Burfict can do that.

Kuechly makes mostly impact tackles so I don't know what you're talking about. Kuechly has excellent range and closes the door quickly to make tackles close to or behind the LOS. His production accurately represents the impact he has on the game. He knows how to hit but he's lean right now. Burfict can make the big hit but he's overweight and his movement suffers for it. Burfict's sloppy athleticism is more of a concern for me than his out-of-control playing style. He's just not as athletic as Te'o, Kuechly, Skov, Bradham, etc. plus he's out of shape.

You're real cool with the greentexting though *rolls eyes*

Saints-Tigers
08-09-2011, 10:43 PM
It's even cooler picking the "other" guy in every comparison. Cool shtick bro.

FUNBUNCHER
08-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Kuechly makes mostly impact tackles so I don't know what you're talking about. Kuechly has excellent range and closes the door quickly to make tackles close to or behind the LOS. His production accurately represents the impact he has on the game. He knows how to hit but he's lean right now. Burfict can make the big hit but he's overweight and his movement suffers for it. Burfict's sloppy athleticism is more of a concern for me than his out-of-control playing style. He's just not as athletic as Te'o, Kuechly, Skov, Bradham, etc. plus he's out of shape.

Keuchly is often the first guy on defense to the football, he's not feasting off cheap assist numbers.

BC credited Keuchly with 110 solos last season. Even if you clip 20 of those tackles off the top for inflation, that's 90 solo tackles.

High solo number of tackles for a LB in college playing for a bowl team are a strong indicator of unconscious instincts.

I don't think there's a better LB in college at diagnosing and reacting to plays than Keuchly, and if he gets stronger over the next few years, he's going to be the set piece for some NFL team's D.

bullg8rdaddy
08-10-2011, 12:54 AM
MLB Luke Kuechly, Boston College (True Junior) 6'3 237
25 starts/26 games
341 Total tackles
23.5 TFLs
2.5 sacks
2 FFs
4 INTs

MLB Manti Teo, Notre Dame (True Junior) 6'2 255
23 starts/25 games
196 Total tackles
15.0 TFLs
2 sacks
1 FF
0 INTs

MLB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St. (True Junior) 6'3 252
19 starts/24 games
159 Total tackles
15.5 TFLs
2 sacks
4 FF
0 INTs

ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford (True Junior) 6'3 243
18 starts/24 games
146 Total tackles
13.5 TFLs
7.5 sacks
0 INTs

K Train
08-10-2011, 08:48 AM
just because taze isnt cut up doesnt mean hes out of shape

ElectricEye
08-10-2011, 12:17 PM

If you actually read what I said you would see that I didn't once mention anything specifically in regards to Kuechly. I was responding to Funbuncher using tackles as his primary argument as to why Burfict is overhyped relative to Kuechly. If you want to get into the actual discussion about who is better between the two, that's another thing entirely.

For what it's worth, after going back and watching some games this offseason, I have Burfict ranked as the third horse in the race after Te'o and Kuechly. I view that that as a very fluid situation right now though, with any of those three having the potential to end up as the top guy.

You're real cool with your reading whatever you want into what someone says, though. *rolls eyes*(Yeah, that sounds so cool)

just because taze isnt cut up doesnt mean hes out of shape
Nope, not at all. That argument actually has zero merit, even. Burfict is just one of those guys that has a thick overall build. That's not a bad thing at all for a linebacker.

Duffman57
08-10-2011, 02:05 PM

LOL thats just a good one. He's WAY more athletic than Te'o, Kuechly and Skov. Bradham is the class of athletes in this LB class.

And His body looks sloppy, and he's far from cut like some of the other LB's are, but he's still a top tier athlete, that uses that athleticism to be able to play out of his mind and still be successful.

I'm not saying that Kuechly is soft, but he doesn't play that hard nosed style that Te'o and Burfict play. Kuechly is the best of the guys in coverage, and diagnostic skills. But he's not the athlete (with the exception of the loose hips he posses) that the other top tier guys. Thats what makes him so good, but the problem with that is that he's just not fit for certain schemes like the 3-4. If you make the guy consistantly take on blocks, then he's not gonna succeed.

Burfict has issues reading plays, or really doint anything other than pure attacking just because his mentality is always going forward. Burfict is actally real good in coverage, but he is so out of position that it makes it impossible, even with his athleticism to make up for it. If you can ever get this guy to play, well not under control, but keeping his head, then you may just have the best LB in the league.

Teo is the worst in pure coverage skills of the group, but he's got that thumper mentality, and is really good with instincts and shedding blocks. His attitude is one of the best, and character is just what you want it to be.

I dont know enough about Skov, but i think he can be really good as well. Every time i watched him, i came away really impressed, though i've never watched a game specifically for him (just the Oregon and USC games). I'll watch more and get back on him.

ElectricEye
08-10-2011, 02:14 PM
I like Skov a lot as well. You can never be completely sure about these types of things, but Stanford guys have a tendency to stay in school and finish up their degrees. I really like his game and scheme diversity as well. He was one of the more impressive players on the field in that Virginia Tech game at the end of last year. You have to like what he brings to the table from an intangibles perspective as well. He's been a leader for that defense since the moment he stepped on campus.

But yeah, overall, it just looks like an exceptional year to be in the market for middle linebacker.