PDA

View Full Version : Top free agent signings that are under the radar...

Ozzy
08-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Here is a list of some under the radar signings as of right now that could pay off in the end for the teams that made these deals.

David Baas OG Giants- Good move getting younger at the guard position for the Giants, Baas is a good player, tough and can run block well.

Marion Barber RB Bears- Very good sign, brings toughness to the Bears and leadership, he will have more success as a backup than Chester Taylor did last year.

Todd Heap TE Cardinals- Huge signing, one of the best tight ends in the league and gives the Cardinals something they have not had for a very long time, a tight end that can catch the ball.

Johnnie Lee Higgins WR Eagles- Another small quick receiver for the Eagles, gives them another speedy weapon.

Tim Hightower RB Redskins- Like his toughness and should bring some power and strength to the Redkins running game and is potentially better than Ryan Torrian.

Thomas Howard OLB Bengals- Very talented linebacker, and if he comes back from injury like he used to be, they will have a very good speedy linebacker on their roster.

Brandon Jackson RB Browns- Very sound running back and should be a fine backup on a committed running team.

Johnathan Joseph CB Texans- A good corner, will help the Texans out a lot and improve that secondary a lot.

Travis LaBoy OLB Chargers- Should be great on the Chargers as a rush outside linebacker, plays aggressively and should make a lot of plays.

Manny Lawson OLB Bengals- Underachiever but has a ton of potential and athletic talent.

Legedu Naanee WR Panthers- Solid signing, tough receiver that is athletic and can make big plays.

Bernard Pollard SS Ravens- A slight upgrade over Landry, big time hitter and should really do well with the Ravens.

Brady Poppinga LB Rams- Good active linebacker that tackles well, nice signing.

Carlos Rogers CB 49ers- Greatly improve them at corner, he has been consistent at corner for a long time and is an upgrade over an aging Nate Clements.

Matt Spaeth TE Bears- Great run blocker, a beast on the field and should really help their run game.

Stephen Tulloch OLB Lions- Proven consistent linebacker for years, good signing for the Lions, he will help them.

Eric Wright CB Lions- Talented player, not great but has a lot of ability and is a good sign for them.

More to come soon.....

DiG
08-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Carlos Rogers CB 49ers- Greatly improve them at corner, he has been consistent at corner for a long time and is an upgrade over an aging Nate Clements.

this made me LOL. should read "has had most consistent stone hands at corner for a long time"

K Train
08-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Matt Spaeth TE Bears- Great run blocker, a beast on the field and should really help their run game.

LOL

good one, you had me going there for a second

Malaka
08-08-2011, 11:38 AM
****, the Eagles got Higgins? I liked him a lot on the Raiders.

Hurricanes25
08-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Todd Heap TE Cardinals- Huge signing, one of the best tight ends in the league and gives the Cardinals something they have not had for a very long time, a tight end that can catch the ball.

It's been about 5 years since Todd Heap was considerend one of the best tight ends in the league. Still solid, though.

Stephen Tulloch OLB Lions- Proven consistent linebacker for years, good signing for the Lions, he will help them.

Eric Wright CB Lions- Talented player, not great but has a lot of ability and is a good sign for them.

Yup, I really like these 2 signings for the Lions.

Thecollegedropout
08-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Would like to add Brodney Pool as one for the Jets since that signing didn't get much hype at all(Like last year) and he showed last year he can at least put on a healthy season and be pretty efficient.

V.I.P
08-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Legedu Naanee WR Panthers- Solid signing, tough receiver that is athletic and can make big plays.

Didn't even know about this signing. Pretty good addition. Was a solid third guy behind Jackson, and Floyd. So who does SD have left at WR besides Jackson?

descendency
08-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I think Stephen Tolluch signed a super low contract, so the Loins made out like bandits on that pickup.

Ozzy
08-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Dirty Thirty this made me LOL. should read "has had most consistent stone hands at corner for a long time"Sure he is not a ball hawk, but the guy is a damn good corner in coverage and is very consistent.

GaMeTiMe
08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
You're definitely going out on a limb with a lot of those guys. Higgins is likely competing with Sinorice Moss for the last receiver spot behind Jackson/Maclin/Avant/Cooper and would probably be a decent return man here at best. Definitely not an offensive weapon.

A more underrated signing for us is Ryan Harris. Hopefully one of the better signings on the OL this off-season.

Ness
08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Did Eric Wright suck with Cleveland? I thought he was on the up and up? Or did he just want to test the market once his deal was finished?

DoughBoy
08-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Stephen Tulloch would be a good under the radar player if ...you know.. he didnt suck.

Frankyh
08-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I believe that Stephen Tolluch signed an agreement very low, so loin as the robbers made of the fact that the pickup. Tera Online Gold (http://www.tera2buy.com/tera2buy.Gold)

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Buying WOW gold!

Go_Eagles77
08-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I believe that Stephen Tolluch signed an agreement very low, so loin as the robbers made of the fact that the pickup. Tera Online Gold (http://www.tera2buy.com/tera2buy.Gold)

Hahaha. Ninja Spam.

Complex
08-08-2011, 09:33 PM
You're definitely going out on a limb with a lot of those guys. Higgins is likely competing with Sinorice Moss for the last receiver spot behind Jackson/Maclin/Avant/Cooper and would probably be a decent return man here at best. Definitely not an offensive weapon.

A more underrated signing for us is Ryan Harris. Hopefully one of the better signings on the OL this off-season.

Sinorice Moss is still in the NFL...wow

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Amobi Okoye for Chicago. Perfect fit. Really excited to see our Dline.

keylime_5
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Did Eric Wright suck with Cleveland? I thought he was on the up and up? Or did he just want to test the market once his deal was finished?

had a really good 2009 season then got burnt like toast in 2010. Anquan Boldin is his father now...and the play where he just let Santonio Holmes run by him for a TD in overtime against the Jets was the pinnacle of his badness last year. Bad timing considering it was his contract year. Now it is uncertain if the Lions will get the rising star, shutdown corner Eric Wright or the 2010 give up touchdowns in bunches Eric Wright. If they get the 2009 version then they got a steal of a deal.

PackerLegend
08-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Brandon Jackson RB Browns- Very sound running back and should be a fine backup on a committed running team.

mehhh for a 2nd round pick he didnt turn out at all. He is very very average and thats about it. Not much he provides that any RB out there couldnt.

yo123
08-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Edit- Wrong thread

descendency
08-08-2011, 10:21 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/08/ricky-williams-inadvertently-blows-whistle-on-lions/

Not a good couple days for Detroit.

hahahahahahahahaha. Oops.

Ozzy
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
DoughBoy Stephen Tulloch would be a good under the radar player if ...you know.. he didnt suck.Interesting how fans of the team a player leaves always say he 'sucks'. Sure got a lot of tackles last year for a sucky linebacker, 160, 111 of them solo and both career highs.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender Amobi Okoye for Chicago. Perfect fit. Really excited to see our Dline.
It will be interesting to see that line, then again two of these guys are on the roster because the team they were on before let them go because of poor play, those players being Gholston and Okoye. Peppers is the stud here, I would be more excited for Paea they Okoye personally, and hope for the most out of Wootton over Gholston. Adams still has some in the tank as well. A lot of there lineman probably will not make the roster, who knows if Tyler will or not.

DE C. Wootton, V. Gholston
DT A. Adams, A. Okoye
DT S. Paea, I. Idonije
DE J. Peppers, H. Melton

PoopSandwich
08-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm just going to keep pimpin my boy Vickers... Houston got a steal with him, if Arian can do what he did last year, look out.

K Train
08-09-2011, 10:01 AM
back to matt spaeth...what the hell has he ever shown you hes a great run blocker or a beast on the field? hes a pathetic run blocker, heath and david johnson shamed him as a run blocker...hes 6-7 and just gets stood up by every defender.

then he has stone hands, and runs terrible routes...im almost surprised he found a job before mid season. but good luck to the bears and his dropped passes and getting blown off the ball right into the backfield

Gay Ork Wang
08-09-2011, 10:05 AM
he is never going to run any routes anyways

tjsunstein
08-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Wasn't Tim Hightower a trade?

Brandon Jackson isn't very good at all. He's average at best.

Jonathan Joseph wasn't under the radar at all.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
08-09-2011, 11:39 AM
It will be interesting to see that line, then again two of these guys are on the roster because the team they were on before let them go because of poor play, those players being Gholston and Okoye. Peppers is the stud here, I would be more excited for Paea they Okoye personally, and hope for the most out of Wootton over Gholston. Adams still has some in the tank as well. A lot of there lineman probably will not make the roster, who knows if Tyler will or not.

DE C. Wootton, V. Gholston
DT A. Adams, A. Okoye
DT S. Paea, I. Idonije
DE J. Peppers, H. Melton[/QUOTE]

I almost included a line up but its still not clear, but:

Peppers-Paea-Akoye-Idonije looks nice to me. So does: Pep-Adams-Melton-Wootton

And then Gholstonzzzz!!

K Train
08-09-2011, 11:44 AM
vernon gholston would be comeback player of the year if he ever showed up.

show up player of the year!!!

Splat
08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Kelly Gregg to the Chiefs.

Ozzy
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
back to matt spaeth...what the hell has he ever shown you hes a great run blocker or a beast on the field? hes a pathetic run blocker, heath and david johnson shamed him as a run blocker...hes 6-7 and just gets stood up by every defender.

then he has stone hands, and runs terrible routes...im almost surprised he found a job before mid season. but good luck to the bears and his dropped passes and getting blown off the ball right into the backfieldI agree, he is not a pass catching tight end at this level, so then why would be even be around the NFL if he was not a good blocker? I do not see how he is not a good blocker down field, sure at the point of attack he might get beat but even pro bowl left tackles get beat from time to time. In my opinion he is an above average blocker and adds great value to the running game, why else would he have a job? Sure is not for catching touchdowns, then again he was the blocking tight end and clearly Heath Miller would get all of the balls throw his way.

And like I said before, it seems all of the fans of the team a player was not resigned by thinks that player absolutely stinks...nothing new.

We will see how he does, I do not think he is a total dud but I guess some do.

Dam8610
08-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Kelly Gregg to the Chiefs.

That could really solidify the middle of the Chiefs defense. I like that one.

I'm surprised Tommie Harris hasn't been mentioned yet. If he can stay healthy (I know Bears fans, big if), he would probably be the best DT the Colts have had since Corey Simon.

descendency
08-09-2011, 06:39 PM
vernon gholston would be comeback player of the year if he ever showed up.

show up player of the year!!!

You have to first not suck to be a comeback player.

OzTitan
08-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Interesting how fans of the team a player leaves always say he 'sucks'. Sure got a lot of tackles last year for a sucky linebacker, 160, 111 of them solo and both career highs.

Well the offense couldn't stay on the field after the first few weeks, and we all know tackles are a pretty iffy stat. The ability of even poor NFL defenses suggests someone is going to tackle the ball carrier the majority of the time, and in the absence of a true tackling machine, the MLB is a pretty standard default next choice.

I don't think he sucks, but he is a 1st and 2nd down LB who isn't of a prototypical athletic ability, who is not much of a "playmaker" on D. He has a place in the NFL as a starter, but ideally on a D already equipped with the required playmakers and real difference makers.

Ozzy
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Jared Gaither supposed signed with the Chiefs, that is a great catch, if he stays healthy he is a very solid pass protecting offensive tackle.

Monomach
08-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Wait, what?

This guy was actually one of the worst run blockers in the league last year. Don't believe everything coaches say about guys when they sign them, man.

I think if any signing in Chicago's collection of trash is going to be called underrated, it'd have to be Okoye or Hurd.

Ozzy
08-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Monomach Wait, what?

This guy was actually one of the worst run blockers in the league last year. Don't believe everything coaches say about guys when they sign them, man.

I think if any signing in Chicago's collection of trash is going to be called underrated, it'd have to be Okoye or Hurd.Like I said before, why is he in the NFL then? It sure is not because he is a great pass catching ability? So why else would be in the league other than to block? I find him to be an above average blocker. What, he is just in the NFL because he is 6-7 260? I doubt it.

Saints-Tigers
08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
So you're saying because he doesn't catch well, then he must be a good blocker? Solid analysis.

Ozzy
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Saints-Tigers So you're saying because he doesn't catch well, then he must be a good blocker? Solid analysis.No, actually the analysis is that yes I can say he is a good blocker, others say he is not, what does that prove, it is just an opinion. Fact is, he was signed by an NFL team, and everyone on here agrees he is not a pass catching target, so why else would the Bears sign him? Thus the comment about just signing him because he is 6-7 260? Sarcastic in nature, but still either individuals on here know more than NFL front office members, or Matt Spaeth can block a little bit and provides a team with versatile blocking options. Because without that what would his value be at all?

But then again maybe NFL personnel are stupid and signed a worthless tight end, I doubt that however.

Monomach
08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
But then again maybe NFL personnel are stupid and signed a worthless tight end, I doubt that however.

Have you met Jerry Angelo? Or Brandon Manumaleuna?

Or Roy Williams?

Or Vernon Gholston? He's not very good against the run, so he must be good at rushing the passer, right?

Saints-Tigers
08-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I was coming to cite Vernon Gholston, hahaha.

Ozzy
08-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Monomach Have you met Jerry Angelo? Or Brandon Manumaleuna?

Or Roy Williams?

Or Vernon Gholston? He's not very good against the run, so he must be good at rushing the passer, right?I was a huge Manumaleuna fan when he was on Arizona in college, loved that size and his ability to take up space. And for his size I would say he is a pretty decent pass catcher, soft hands, will not dominate but he was very good as a 2nd tight end for a few years on the Rams, clearly has not done so well later in his career.

Gholston, I never liked him and there is a reason he has only started 5 games in his career and rarely played, he is not that good.

The Bears have made some good moves, resigning Corey Graham was good, he is a decent corner. Sam Hurd is ok, at least he gives them some size at receiver. Okoye is so so, there is a reason the Texans cut him, he is not all that great but obvious they are picking up talented guys that have underachieved and they can get cheap. Chris Spencer was a good pickup, not a great player but has starting experience and can kind of help try and replace Kreutz. And it is not like Marion Barber was a bad pickup, so I guess there is good and bad.

Saints-Tigers
08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
The point is, Gholston got signed, and was never good at anything in the NFL.

Monomach
08-11-2011, 12:56 PM
The point is, Gholston got signed, and was never good at anything in the NFL.

Bingo. Just like Matt Spaeth.

...and Chris Spencer has nothing to do with replacing Kreutz. They've already declared him a backup behind a pretty bad guard who hasn't had significant snaps at center in about ten years.